Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: The Bounce

Elijah prepares for an open-call audition for a new Broadway musical, but is thrown off his game by an unexpected visitor. In need of cash, Marnie tries to pawn a family heirloom and gets a wakeup call from an unlikely source. Hannah reconnects with Paul-Louis.

• Love 1

I'm not sure of Adam's message either. I think, at least, it's telling her he DID love her. I also it's going to make her fall in love with him again, if she's actually ever fallen OUT of love with him. I hope not, tho. Let's not Mr. Big this shit, please, Girls.

• Love 11

I loved this episode.  What a treat to see AR in his full dancing and singing glory!  And corny or not, I loved the return of Dill.  I thought the scene of Dill and Hannah crying together was very touching.

Didn't miss Jessa, Shosh, Adam or Ray at all.

Edited by TomGirl
  • Love 15

Great episode with great cameos! Loved the Broadway stuff with Elijah and Athena Dante.

I really felt for Hannah the way Paul-Louis just brushed off the pregnancy news. She *said* she didn't care if he wanted to be involved, but that level of indifference must have hurt.

So Marnie has essentially been living off of Desi until he stopped subsidizing her. Where did he get that much money from? Rent, 2-hour massages, Uber rides, manicures, all of the expensive NYC fitness classes - must have been more than $5k/month. Loved the scene with Marnie and the pawn shop truth teller. He figured her out within two minutes. Too bad it took Ray two years.

• Love 18

I liked this episode, I was able to laugh at the characters' antics rather than hate them through the screen. Even Marnie's shit and her mom "don't let divorce make you bitter", I don't know I just lol.

Maybe the lack of Jessa/Adam  had something to do with that.

I wonder whether that's it for Paul-Louis, or if it was the shock of hearing the news and he'll get back in touch with Hanna later on.

Edited by minamurray78
  • Love 5

I really hope we haven't started a parade of happy endings, reunions, redemptions and closures. I thought Girls was messier than that. I could watch Friends or any Disney princess movie for that kind of bullshit.

• Love 4

I LIVE for Elijah. Him reciting Kevin Costner's monologue from Bull Durham was hilarious. "That was amazing. Did you write that?" DEAD. 

Marnie's jewelry being worthless was SO spot-on. She is unbelievably self-centered and possibly one of the most unlikeable female TV show characters in long memory. Of course she would believe that she owned a locket from Wild Bill. I don't believe in her come-to-Jesus moment at all. And Allison Williams needs to eat a cheeseburger, yo. She is waaaaay too skinny. [Def. not trying to start a discussion on female body image, I just think she looks unwell and way too veiny.]

Also, I think the one-liner winners of the night were "I know you're at the beginning of a very exciting and illustrious water-skiing career." & "Hey uh, you know a name I always thought was cool for a boy was Grover" ?

Didn't miss Jessa, Adam or Ray one bit. 

Edited by novemberjenny
  • Love 18

Marnie and Hannah had some wisdom imparted on them by strangers.  Pawn shop guy even told Marnie that she was a liar to her face.  Maybe friends are overrated.

The Michaels Sisters is happening!

Looks like Elijah nailed the audition with his song but if he hasn't been auditioning much, in what world does he belt out that song cold, hold those notes?  Oh yeah, in the world where an actor who was in a major Broadway musical plays a wannabe actor in a TV show.

Marnie was desperate enough to ask mom for rent but it doesn't sound like mom is rolling in it if a trip to Montego Bay makes her unable to help her sister out, even if she was willing.

Edited by scrb
  • Love 6

I have been enjoying this show so much this season. Where was this compelling writing, acting and directing seasons 2-5?  Why couldn't they have given Hannah a surprise kid seasons ago?  I'm sad that there are only three episodes left.  Someone get a spinoff (Elijah, please).

I didn't miss Shoshanna or Ray or Jessa at all.  I've always hated Jessa and never understood the draw with Shoshanna.  Marnie I could tolerate because she was the friend who interacted the most with Hannah, but the others just struck me as peripheral and not really that important or interesting.  I don't know where this show is going with Adam but I hope it doesn't piss me off.  The stuff with Jean Paul was very realistic, I don't want some magical ending with Adam.

Edited by LilaFowler
  • Love 5
58 minutes ago, scrb said:

Marnie was desperate enough to ask mom for rent but it doesn't sound like mom is rolling in it if a trip to Montego Bay makes her unable to help her sister out, even if she was willing.

Marnie's mom lives in a one-bedroom condo in NJ - we've seen Marnie crash on her couch in S2. IIRC, there was also a mention of Marnie's dad being a deadbeat and/or screwing over Marnie's mom in the divorce. It's unclear whether she works, but she doesn't/can't subsidize Marnie on a regular basis. Like she said, the couch is all she can offer. 

• Love 3

Oh god, Elijah's dancing was everything! That was genuinely cracking me up.

Grover? I was waiting for Hannah to say, "like from Sesame Street?".

Guys who have no desire to be involved don't get to throw out names.

• Love 8

Happy for Elijah, but even Julie effing Andrews went routinely to a voice coach, even as a teen when she had no money and was in vaudeville. That's one thing every professional singer or aspiring singer does - keep that voice in shape. This is like 42nd Street (the B'way musical). "Maybe she can do it NATURALLY!!!"

Whether or not we have our favorite girls, the show started out following four of them. And whether or not Soshanna was originally intended to be a "girl", they decided to make her one. Nobody put a gun to Dunham's head. So to completely abandon the character this season is a joke. I kind of suspected it was going to happen when, in an interview, Dunham said Soshanna has the best ending, and "it's totally earned." I thought, oh, that's their excuse. They've told her story. It's like the old soap opera head writer bullshit when they'd let an actor go "Her stories have been told." I remember one actress saying if her stories had been told she must have been out of the room when it happened.

As someone on twitter said about Adam "They better not Mr. Big this shit."

Desi and money - maybe he has money from dealing pills. Or maybe he's the trust fund baby. I can't recall what we learned about him from Marnie's wedding. But when we met him, he had a hot (live in?) girlfriend who seemed pretty invested in their relationship, he was good enough to be cast in a Broadway show, and I assume he was pulling his weight on the home front.  He seems comfortable acting out about not doing rotten gigs like the one in New Jersey, and if he really needed money he couldn't afford to be that way. He also let his then-girlfriend nix selling merchandise at his and Marnie's gigs. I believe he and Marnie didn't make money from that tour; I DON'T believe they didn't LOSE a shit ton of money on top of that. 

Things like Desi's monologue to Marnie last week bother me. When he acted like he did acting, abandoned acting, became a musician, and all were frauds. I've met people in the arts who had drinking and drug problems. Nobody has such a bad problem that they're not aware of $$$. That's what they think about. He would never have abandoned acting while he was commercially viable - plenty of actors are also musicians. Anyway, I believe he could have supported Marnie, because I think the character has money - either from dealing pills or because he's actually making commercials or doing short-term feature roles on television that he films during the day. If he's not doing any of that stuff, just pissing away opportunity, then he's got a trust fund. The therapy he was engaged in - private and one on one - is not cheap either.

Allison Williams is pissing me off. Her joints have the most volume in her body, her sternum protrudes from her tank tops, her boobs have disappeared, and she's a lollipop. There is no way that's her "natural weight" that she went down to after college - what bullshit. The pissing me off part is her giving interviews about how women shouldn't pressure themselves to look a certain way, blah blah blah. Her hip bones also jut out. 

Edited by DianeDobbler
  • Love 9

It really does look like they're amping up to redeem and mature everyone and give them a happy ending, which I am sort of disappointed in, but whatever. I probably say it every week, but Andrew Rannells is magic and I would happily watch him do pretty much anything for half an hour. I adored his audition. I adored his reactions to Dill showing back up and his interactions with Athena Dante. If he winds up with a part in a Broadway show and a hot, older, rich guy, I'm okay with it.

I also liked Dill and Hannah breaking down together. And Paul Louis actually had to be reminded who Hannah even was? Ack. I suppose she did the right thing in telling him about the pregnancy, but it appeared he would rather have not known, and certainly doesn't care about being involved. Maybe her instincts were right all along.

And ugh to the previews.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, luna1122 said:

It really does look like they're amping up to redeem and mature everyone and give them a happy ending, which I am sort of disappointed in, but whatever. I probably say it every week, but Andrew Rannells is magic and I would happily watch him do pretty much anything for half an hour. I adored his audition. I adored his reactions to Dill showing back up and his interactions with Athena Dante. If he winds up with a part in a Broadway show and a hot, older, rich guy, I'm okay with it.

I'm glad that Elijah seems to be on track to get a happy ending. His thrilled smile when he was on the phone was the best. Always a treat to hear Andrew Rannells sing, too.

I liked the show riffing on how "white" Elijah was, since Andrew Rannells' big Broadway role was in Book of Mormon playing another extremely "white" character.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 7

I was so excited to see some of Elijah's audition scenes were filmed at the Baryshnikov Arts Center!  I saw Frances McDormand and Maura Tierney in a play there five or six years ago, and Baryshnikov himself - accompanied by freaking Jessica Lange!! - came in and sat down behind us.  Which is completely off-topic, but was insanely cool.

I thought this was a really solid episode, and it actually made me sad that there are so few left.  The last couple of seasons left me feeling like I would never be sad to see this show end, so kudos to Lena & company.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Eyes High said:

If you're not their doctor or their loved one in real life, I'd say so. Ditto for those who are "legitimately worried" about Lena Dunham being overweight.

Love!

9 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Loved the scene with Marnie and the pawn shop truth teller. He figured her out within two minutes. Too bad it took Ray two years.

Pawn shop guy didn't have any vested interest in Marnie, with that comes clarity.

• Love 6

Did someone post that the actress who plays Elijah's Henri Bendel coworker is in the cast of Hamilton? Because in my opinion her acting is pretty mediocre or even bad. 

After seeing the dance with basketballs portion of the audition, I now really want someone to produce a White Men Can't Jump musical. 

• Love 6

I'm not sure what is wrong with me, but I have been loving this season.  I find Hannah charming, even. Enjoyed this episode very much, Hannah's apartment was very 'real' in the sense that it wasn't a gross mess, I could see my kids living in some place like that. 

Enjoyed the open casting call part of the episode, and any opportunity to hear Andrew Rannells sing is okay by me.  I loved Athena Dante character, I guess she was like, 20 or something.  Not sure why Elijah thought she was too young to hang with.  I want her for a friend, myself.  

Looking forward to seeing the next 3 episodes. 

Edited by cardigirl
  • Love 7

I am kind of loving watching Marnie's downfall. And while knowing that both her mom and her dad lied about gifts that they'd given her, it makes a lot of sense how she became the kind of person that she is but hopefully now that she's aware she's terrible (or I hope she's aware) she will improve herself.

I loved getting to hear Elijah sing but I have to say that a White Man Can't Jump musical sounds like the worst thing ever in the history of musicals. One destined for the broadway graveyard like The Wedding Singer musical. 

And I agree about the body shaming with Alison Williams. It sucks whether it's happening to someone who's technically overweight or underweight. I had a point in my life where I lost a lot of weight due to stress and I had a few jerks walk up to me to say "You look so thin, are you anorexic?" or "Do you have an eating disorder?" that I wanted to just walk around in a sleeping bag all day so no one would look at me. It's not cool. 

• Love 7

I feel alone in my little boat again by disliking this season a lot. It's just kind of meh episodes for a final season. I'm bored. And I love Eiljah but eh. These episodes are doing nothing for me.

I'm not excited to watch Hannah and Adam next week either. I'm considering bailing out of this show until the final episode.

• Love 4

Did anyone (or everyone) else grok that the scene with Dill turning up on Elijah's doorstep was lifted, pretty much whole, from the movie "Notting Hill", with Julie Roberts turning up at Hugh Grant's door to escape the paparazzi after a nude photo scandal?

• Love 6

Enjoyed this episode. Good for Elijah!

This exchange between my husband and I last night:

Husband: "Did you tape Girls?" (he had been at NASCAR all day)

Me: "I won't tell your buddies you asked me that."

• Love 12

Allison William's continued weight loss is scary. Is it considered 'body shaming' when you're legitimately worried about someone?

I'm pretty over all this "shaming" shit that's getting so freely tossed around these days. Allison Williams is starting to look scary-skinny, and that's a fact. It's impossible not to notice it. Every time she was on screen last night I was wondering if she was losing weight for a role, or if she's stressed out, or if there's something darker at work.

• Love 15
1 minute ago, pbutler111 said:

I'm pretty over all this "shaming" shit that's getting so freely tossed around these days. Allison Williams is starting to look scary-skinny, and that's a fact. It's impossible not to notice it. Every time she was on screen last night I was wondering if she was losing weight for a role, or if she's stressed out, or if there's something darker at work.

It is striking when you watch old episodes of this show and see the difference in AW. At the same time I try and refrain talking about weight, fat or skinny. 

• Love 1
  5 hours ago, CofCinci said:

Allison William's continued weight loss is scary. Is it considered 'body shaming' when you're legitimately worried about someone?

If you're not their doctor or their loved one in real life, I'd say so. Ditto for those who are "legitimately worried" about Lena Dunham being overweight.

The discussion about Allison Williams and Lena Dunham's bodies is a good example of how Hollywood women really can't win for losing. Williams conforms to the Hollywood ideal--very lean and toned--which allows her to get cast as a lead (Get Out), and gets called anorexic for her trouble. Dunham fails to conform to the Hollywood aesthetic, will likely never be cast as a lead outside her own projects, and is called repulsive, hideous, etc.

I'm so sick of these magically wise randos bestowing insight: magical tea set lady, magical pawn broker guy, even the magical Athena Dante (described in the Inside the Episode as Elijah's "spirit guide" at the audition). Using random characters to enable the main characters to make important realizations is a hallmark of terrible writing (not to mention the whole Magical Negro trope). Too bad, because I quite liked this episode otherwise. I'm glad that Elijah is getting more of a storyline of his own.

I've never thought twice about Lena Dunham's body. But if I saw her suddenly look like she'd gained or lost a large percentage of her body weight, practically overnight, I'm going to have some questions. That's not "shaming" anyone -- that's paying attention. So when Allison Williams, who's always looked fine and healthy, suddenly shows up looking like you could cut bread with her jawbone, I'm going to say, WTF? I'm not saying it to her face; I'm not walking up to her on the street and saying, "Hi! Love your work! Are you anorexic?" I'm saying it in a forum where we discuss call kinds of show-related things, including, at times, aspects of the actors' personal lives.

• Love 13

Hoodooz, Elijah's co-worker is played by Jasmine Cephus-Jones, who played the dual roles of Peggy/Maria Reynolds in Hamilton. Bootlegs of the original cast in live performance showed up (briefly) on youtube a short time ago, and I thought Cephus-Jones was very good in both roles. She's about 27. On stage, she has a womanliness and maturity but on television she looks very young. I find her completely likeable, even though the roles she has been playing on television are pretty basic.

• Love 4

I love Elijah so therefore loved this episode.

Hannah sobbing after telling the father...I mean I figured out that she wasn't telling the father for herself...her making the decision to tell him because even if there is a 1% chance he wanted to be involved showed me that she will be a good parent. She is thinking of the baby first.

Marnie's story about the locket...I mean who would believe that?

A couple of things about the eviction:

1. Is being evicted ever a surprise...I mean surely you know you haven't paid rent

2. Her mom was really cavalier about that no...she doesn't by any means have to help her daughter but I am surprised she wouldn't knowing that judgment will be on her credit for 7 years.

• Love 8

Athena: "They flipped it!"

Elijah: "They fuckin' flipped it! I love this bitchy business so much!"

HAH! 

Elijah's audition topped off with the dancing was everything. Hannah telling Jean Louis about the pregnancy actually made me physically sad. The interaction between Hannah and Dill was great (watching him do the activities on the back of the cereal box was a nice touch). And the end with Hannah facing up to her decision and showing maturity by going to the OB/GYN - really liked that. 

I enjoyed the episode, but I'm feeling like everything at this point is a bit rushed. Like Marnie being a 100% narcissist for years until a random shop owner calls her out on it and all of a sudden, she sees herself honestly. That's just not how self-actualization happens. I would've much rather seen her walk out of there pissed off at him saying such a thing, but then see her thinking about it, ruminating on it, and finally - having the revelation herself. It's the difference between learning how to do something by watching someone else do it over & over vs. making mistake after mistake after mistake but finally getting it on your own. I kind of feel that's how Hannah's situation has taken shape - no one else is stepping up to "take care of this" for her and after her illusion of Jean Louis was thoroughly busted, she had a good cry and stepped up. I was actually worried that Dill was going to offer to raise it and she would accept - so glad that didn't happen.

The rushy-ness holds true for everything happening with Adam. He merely mentions doing a movie about his relationship with Hannah and then the next episode it's done and he wants Hannah to watch it. Now, I fear, we're seeing some sort of Hannah/Adam reunion in the works and it feels too rushed. 

I want things wrapped up, happily or not, but things aren't making complete sense to me at this point. 

• Love 6
2 hours ago, DianeDobbler said:

Hoodooz, Elijah's co-worker is played by Jasmine Cephus-Jones, who played the dual roles of Peggy/Maria Reynolds in Hamilton. Bootlegs of the original cast in live performance showed up (briefly) on youtube a short time ago, and I thought Cephus-Jones was very good in both roles. She's about 27. On stage, she has a womanliness and maturity but on television she looks very young. I find her completely likeable, even though the roles she has been playing on television are pretty basic.

Some actors are great on Broadway but do not fare well on television.

• Love 6

I have been enjoying this show so much this season. Where was this compelling writing, acting and directing seasons 2-5?  Why couldn't they have given Hannah a surprise kid seasons ago?  I'm sad that there are only three episodes left.  Someone get a spinoff (Elijah, please).

YES!!!   I have been thinking the same thing.  I have watched since the beginning, I was intrigued but often let weeks go by before i would watch.  Now I am looking forward to Sundays and I am really sad  that it's ending.

I couldnt help but scratch my head when Hannah was in a panic in the beginning of the episode that Paul-Louis might suddenly want to move in with her and Elijah..... it was pretty delusional. What was realistic was his reaction though, unfortunately. What I dont understand is that while I know that Hannah marches to the beat of her own drum, she has almost no idea how to be cute, sexy, and flirty. I'm not talking social awkwardness, I'm talking flaunting full pubic hair, spilling drinks on herself repeatedly while dancing, acting very uncouth, etc etc. I dont even like to watch this show with my husband because I am embarrassed by her various behaviors. I really was not surprised that Paul Louis had not kept in touch with her. 

I assumed that Marnie and Desi made money together through their meager gigs. So why would she have even thought of hitting him up for money is my question. I was also wondering how she was affording an Equinox membership among other gym memberships too. 

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, Matias130 said:

I couldnt help but scratch my head when Hannah was in a panic in the beginning of the episode that Paul-Louis might suddenly want to move in with her and Elijah..... it was pretty delusional. What was realistic was his reaction though, unfortunately. What I dont understand is that while I know that Hannah marches to the beat of her own drum, she has almost no idea how to be cute, sexy, and flirty. I'm not talking social awkwardness, I'm talking flaunting full pubic hair, spilling drinks on herself repeatedly while dancing, acting very uncouth, etc etc. I dont even like to watch this show with my husband because I am embarrassed by her various behaviors. I really was not surprised that Paul Louis had not kept in touch with her. 

I assumed that Marnie and Desi made money together through their meager gigs. So why would she have even thought of hitting him up for money is my question. I was also wondering how she was affording an Equinox membership among other gym memberships too. 

Having natural pubic hair is normal for many women, and yes, they simply go about their lives with a full bush. This is not flaunting. This is living.

• Love 23

I think how a woman chooses to wear her pubic hair, or not wear it, is her own business and I can't understand how it's uncouth to have some, but the rest of her behavior, particularly with Paul Louis, was pretty gross. Still didn't keep him out of her bed, tho.

While a lot of us have expressed that they don't find too-skinny appealing, I think we--or I'll just say I, as I can only speak for myself--still views it thru the lens that most of the world has, that skinny is always better than fat, so it's not as bad as calling out someone for being fat. But making fun of anyone's body isn't a nice thing to do.

• Love 2
  17 minutes ago, Matias130 said:

Having natural pubic hair is normal for many women, and yes, they simply go about their lives with a full bush. This is not flaunting. This is living.

Maybe, however I live by the beach and have never seen any girls who have pubes crawling out of a bikini bottom, which would happen with a full bush. I think a lot of men would prefer at least trimming things up and making it neat.

• Love 1
On 3/20/2017 at 8:17 AM, luna1122 said:

I'm not sure of Adam's message either. I think, at least, it's telling her he DID love her. I also it's going to make her fall in love with him again, if she's actually ever fallen OUT of love with him. I hope not, tho. Let's not Mr. Big this shit, please, Girls.

In the previews, when they showed Adam outside, on the phone, and then Jessa leaning out the window, also on the phone, I had the distinct impression they were in the midst of "ending up together."  I agree, Hannah and Adam ending up together would be unnatural and really dissatisfying.

• Love 6