Type keyword(s) to search

S06.E07: The Bounce

12 minutes ago, pbutler111 said:

I can't imagine a universe in which Lena Dunham wraps up this show with Hannah in a relationship with any man, including Adam.  This isn't Sex and the City.  Carrie doesn't have to wind up with Big.  Carrie could, conceivably, figure out that she can take care of her own damn self and be happy doing so.

The Sex in the City reference has been made so many times. Lena's said there won't be a prototypical "happy ending", so.... 

On 3/29/2017 at 5:23 PM, 27bored said:

The scene with Hannah telling Paul-Louis about the baby was...ugh. OK, I know I keep making this point, but has anyone else noticed how this show never cuts straight dudes any slack? The show let Elijah off the hook for telling Hannah she was going to be a horrible mother, and they were bad on each other's dicks the next episode. They even made Dill seem somewhat sympathetic.

Paul-Louis basically shrugging at Hannah having his kid was...ugh. I don't know if I'd say unrealistic, because that's what I want to say, but it didn't feel right. I mean, I'm sure he doesn't want a kid, but I don't know. That scene felt like how a chick would tell her girlfriends the conversation went and not...how it actually went. Guys can be stupid and dopey and put their foot in the mouths at times, but usually we're not as insensitive and detached as we come off sometimes. It just felt hacky and one-dimensional.

Seemed pretty realistic to me. Why would a "chick" tell her friends it went that way if it didn't? The average guy, the higher the stakes for the girl, the more detached he is. It's simply not his problem and he's not going to pretend to care when it's not happening to him. Of course, the very same guy might flip out and act nuts if she shows up explaining how she's going to have an abortion and needs him to pay half, because that affects him--he's out $100 and might call her a liar or whatever he can think of, to get out of that. Or if she shows up apologizing for already having had one, because who does that? A lot of guys who are completely chill and indifferent if they think you're having their baby, will knock over tables if they think you got rid of it without consulting them. It's not logical or "realistic" but it's true.

• Love 1

Seemed pretty realistic to me. Why would a "chick" tell her friends it went that way if it didn't? The average guy, the higher the stakes for the girl, the more detached he is. It's simply not his problem and he's not going to pretend to care when it's not happening to him. Of course, the very same guy might flip out and act nuts if she shows up explaining how she's going to have an abortion and needs him to pay half, because that affects him--he's out $100 and might call her a liar or whatever he can think of, to get out of that. Or if she shows up apologizing for already having had one, because who does that? A lot of guys who are completely chill and indifferent if they think you're having their baby, will knock over tables if they think you got rid of it without consulting them. It's not logical or "realistic" but it's true.

Well, a chick would tell her friends it went that way if that's the way she felt by his reaction and not precisely what he said or meant. It's like if I told my girlfriend "I like when you wear your hair down" and she responds, "so what you're saying is I look like shit when my hair is up?". Crude example, but you get my point.

The average guy, I don't think, would've reacted the way Paul-Louis did unless he was high at the time (which is a possibility) and even then, when he sobered up, he'd have a different reaction. I think guys have more trepidation with dealing with the mother more than dealing with a kid, very often. But most of them aren't going to react the way he did and, you know, leave it at that.

On 4/3/2017 at 9:05 PM, 27bored said:

Well, a chick would tell her friends it went that way if that's the way she felt by his reaction and not precisely what he said or meant. It's like if I told my girlfriend "I like when you wear your hair down" and she responds, "so what you're saying is I look like shit when my hair is up?". Crude example, but you get my point.

The average guy, I don't think, would've reacted the way Paul-Louis did unless he was high at the time (which is a possibility) and even then, when he sobered up, he'd have a different reaction. I think guys have more trepidation with dealing with the mother more than dealing with a kid, very often. But most of them aren't going to react the way he did and, you know, leave it at that.

The average guy in Paul-Louis' shoes never finds out. There is a reason for this. Usually he never asks and she never tells. This is because there is no relationship there and most women won't even go as far as Hannah went in assuming he might be interested in the child or in their situation. Also there are some men who, if they took an interest in every pregnancy they caused, would be paying child support for 30 or 50 kids by now.  Imagine how many women Paul-Louis could have impregnated over just one summer.  No wonder he'd rather not know.

Now, Paul-Louis is not the average guy. The average guy is probably not often in Paul-Louis' shoes. But that guy is out there, make no mistake. And if a girl has actually told you, "he didn't care," believe her. There are guys like that in the world.

Edited by Hecate7
  • Love 1

The only guy I know in Jean-Louis position - a weekend hook-up ended up with the woman pregnant - relocated his job to move to the city where she was, and remained in the area where she lived so he could have access to the child. This is about 400 miles away from where he'd been. When he married someone from his hometown, his wife also relocated / found work in the new city and custody is shared. It's not an easy situation but he did it with no hesitation.

Edited by DianeDobbler
  • Love 1