Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E16: The Allowance Evaporation

AMY IS FURIOUS WHEN SHE LEARNS SHELDON HAS SHARED INTIMATE DETAILS OF THEIR RELATIONSHIP WITH PEOPLE AT THE UNIVERSITY, ON "THE BIG BANG THEORY," THURSDAY, FEB. 16

"The Allowance Evaporation"- Sheldon and Amy have their first fight since moving in together, and Koothrappali is shocked at the realities of financial independence when he stops receiving support from his father, on THE BIG BANG THEORY, Thursday, Feb. 16 (8:00-8:31 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network.

She did find out about the ring, back when Memaw visited. 

Poor, sweet, clueless Sheldon. This episode really drove home for me how lacking his social skills are and how hard it is for him to recognize that fact. He genuinely doesn't get when he's speaking out of turn. I'm glad Amy pushes back and I hope she recognizes the effort he makes. None of this comes naturally to him and I think he's genuinely remorseful when he hurts someones feelings. 

• Love 19

Yeah, she already found out about that in the Meemaw episode.

Tonight was funny, though it did seem like there were more commercials than the actual show. Again I'm pleased that Sheldon is taking steps to correct his behavior. Even though he had to be forced to say hi to Bert, he willingly asked him to join them after he got stood up. That was a pleasant surprise. 

To quote Guadians of the Galaxy, Sheldon may be an asshole at times, but he's not 100 percent a dick.

Edited by Spartan Girl
  • Love 9

Does anyone else have a Dish DVR? I made sure this was set to record earlier in the week and then tonight it just didn't record. In fact, my DVR acted like it didn't even exist to record (yet it is in the list, like it has been for years now). I confirmed with someone else in the area who also has Dish and they had the same thing happen. Sad!

So did Raj's dad say 5 of his 6 children were married? I guess Priya got hitched.

I noticed that too. 

If Raj's dad paid for everything, what did Raj do with his own salary from the University?

• Love 11

The very last joke about cramps didn't land for me. I'd actually be happy if I could say to a room "I have horrific menstrual cramps right now, please take it easy on me and not ask me to walk anywhere, lift anything or ask me to stop screaming, etc, because if a grown man were having these he'd be begging for a bullet to the brain". It's just a part of life I wouldn't mind people taking a matter-of-fact look at. When you feel bad, you feel bad.

• Love 21

IMO, it was unrealistic to think that Sheldon would've discussed his sex life with co-workers and the cafeteria lady.  Remember when Penny asked him when he & Amy were going to "do it," and Leonard said under his breath "we don't talk about that." Sheldon has always been somewhat closed off on the subject, so to think that he's suddenly a blabbermouth about it seemed unlikely to me.  Why would he offer that information?  I seriously doubt that his colleagues asked him about his sex life.  If they did, that's just weird. 

If Raj's dad paid for everything, what did Raj do with his own salary from the University?

Raj probably has direct deposit and has no idea how much money he has!   I love this show, but I'm afraid that it's run it's course.  They might want to end it on a high note like many other great sitcoms did.

Edited by ChitChat
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, ChitChat said:

Raj probably has direct deposit and has no idea how much money he has!   I love this show, but I'm afraid that it's run it's course.  They might want to end it on a high note like many other great sitcoms did.

Ummm...they're talking about two more seasons. Two. More. 

Kill me. 

• Love 12

Amy makes me sad. She had a relatively nice apt with a fairly large bedroom and living area and now she's stuck in that cramped box of an apt with Sheldon. They seemed to have made a few changes in the apt decor, but small things. It seems to be a very uncomfortable apt for 2 grownups.

This was kind of a boring ep. I don't like the rock guy but did enjoy Sheldon's quip about him ("for a good time.."). I think it was the only time I laughed this ep. Still loathe Raj, such a jackass.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, kat165 said:

Still loathe Raj, such a jackass.

Yeah, part of me wanted him to asphyxiate during the Euler's Disk experiment. And that was before the money stuff even came up.

I also loved Sheldon inviting Burt to sit with him and Amy; looks like his compassion skills have finally developed beyond offering a hot beverage.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, kat165 said:

Amy makes me sad. She had a relatively nice apt with a fairly large bedroom and living area and now she's stuck in that cramped box of an apt with Sheldon. They seemed to have made a few changes in the apt decor, but small things. It seems to be a very uncomfortable apt for 2 grownups.

This was kind of a boring ep. I don't like the rock guy but did enjoy Sheldon's quip about him ("for a good time.."). I think it was the only time I laughed this ep. Still loathe Raj, such a jackass.

Is Amy still paying rent on her apartment? Maybe she and Sheldon will move back there so Raj can move into Penny's apartment. And if they do follow through on Raj supporting himself, maybe he will develop some empathy.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Gulftastic said:

A bit of a 'meh' episode. I was most excited that we saw the fourth wall behind Sheldon when he was shouting up the stairs to Amy.

That was my highlight of the night as well! 

Thank God they dodged the "Raj moves in with this friends" bullet.  That would not be good.

• Love 5

I'm glad they're trying to do something new with Raj but I couldn't help wondering where all his salary is if Dad picks up all his living expenses. He sure as hell didn't use it on fashion, so where is it? There should be a pile of money sitting in a bank account that should keep him in his current apartment for a while until he has figured out his financial situation. Before discussing who should take him in I would have brought that up - but of course that sort of thing provides less comedy.

• Love 9

Amy makes me sad. She had a relatively nice apt with a fairly large bedroom and living area and now she's stuck in that cramped box of an apt with Sheldon.

I agree.  I remember why Sheldon wanted to be on neutral territory in regards to moving in with Amy, but I didn't think it was going to be permanent (or so it appears.)  Most of Sheldon's décor is in his old apartment, and going by his past inability to cope with change, the fact that he's been okay with being in Penny's apartment for so long doesn't make sense to me.  I think that Penny & Leonard should swap with them.  After all, the original apartment was Sheldon's, and he was too agreeable on giving it up.  How are they affording to pay for Amy's apartment while paying for the one they're in?  That's a waste of money. 

Again, I love the show, but I'm afraid they're about to wear out their welcome, as we say in the South!   

GrtGzu: I think Raj uses his Dad's credit card to pay for everything!

• Love 9
15 hours ago, BookThief said:

Does anyone else have a Dish DVR? I made sure this was set to record earlier in the week and then tonight it just didn't record. In fact, my DVR acted like it didn't even exist to record (yet it is in the list, like it has been for years now). I confirmed with someone else in the area who also has Dish and they had the same thing happen. Sad!

Maybe it didn't recognize that there was an episode there interrupting a stream of commercials.

4 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Thank God they dodged the "Raj moves in with this friends" bullet.  That would not be good.

When Penny just went and said Raj could live with them, I thought "Didn't you just have a huge fight with your husband over the exact same thing?"

Raj's dad was awesome.

Edited by shura
  • Love 10

I love this show, but I'm afraid that it's run it's course.

Truth is I loveD this show, and now I can barely get through the episode. The problem is, it looks like the actors feel the same way. They all look like they are going through the motions. Now Kaley is not exactly the greatest actress out there, but she definitely looks like she is giving about 50% effort. I saw an old episode the other day (Bath Item Gift....) and there she really did act and her nonchalance worked-here she just looked bored.

• Love 7

The cold open was great. It was a throwback to the early seasons of the show with the guys being totally passionate about something inane. I really enjoyed Howard's "See, you're interested! $10 please!" I enjoy those moments of shared joy among everyone.

• Love 11

I still get a chuckle now and then out of the show, which is more than I can say for a lot of sitcoms these days, so it's still worth it to me. Although the money they spend on it might not be worth it anymore. 

Sheldon admitting he had his drivers license was pretty funny, though. I also cracked up at the idea of him following Zachary Quinto in a restroom and talking to him through the stall door. 

Raj is so beyond pathetic I see little hope of saving the character at this point. But I got a kick out of Howard trying to suggest he move in with Howard and Bernadette and then having them turn it around on him by pointing out Sheldon's room was still empty.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, BusyOctober said:

Who said they did? He's only just decided this episode to support himself. We've got a whoooollllle season still to go. Good Lord...and they're talking about renewing for two more...Just wait...there's time.

• Love 1
16 hours ago, ExplainItAgain said:

So did Raj's dad say 5 of his 6 children were married? I guess Priya got hitched.

Good observation.  Although I guess since Leonard is also married now, it doesn't really matter.  I hope she's more faithful to her new husband than she was to Leonard.

It's nice to see them giving Raj some personality development, but it made for kind of a dull episode.  

I really dislike the way this show deals with money.  The physicists are all portrayed as being paupers basically, except for Sheldon.  What does Raj do with his salary?  Maybe he pays the housekeeper and the dog walker from the sound of it, but still.  I'm surprised they didn't say Penny and Bernadette made more money than Leonard and Howard back when they were still waitresses at the Cheesecake Factory.

And if Raj is so lazy that he needs a dog walker, how is it he is Mr. Superman when it comes to doing chores at Howard's house and taking care of the baby? 

• Love 9

Did anyone else expect Raj to hang up with his father and then call (Skype) his mother and tell her that he needed more money because his father cut him off?  He did something like after his parents broke up.  I think it was the episode with the drone.

Edited by ShelleySue
typo
  • Love 4
6 minutes ago, ShelleySue said:

Did anyone else expect Raj to hang up with his father and then call (Skype) his mother and tell her that he needed more money because his father cut him off?  He did something like after his parents broke up.  I think it was the episode with the drone.

Obviously I missed something in this episode (I was multitasking)...   I heard Raj's father basically stating that he had given up on Raj ever growing up/getting married/etc., and he commented on how women wouldn't be interested in a guy that's still dependent on his parents, but did he actually cut off the financial support?

1 hour ago, MMLEsq said:

Obviously I missed something in this episode (I was multitasking)...   I heard Raj's father basically stating that he had given up on Raj ever growing up/getting married/etc., and he commented on how women wouldn't be interested in a guy that's still dependent on his parents, but did he actually cut off the financial support?

Raj decided that he didn't want want to be supported anymore because of his father's attitude towards him.  It was Raj's choice.  I just thought that it would be typical Raj to let his father think he (Raj) was being independent while asking his mother to support him.

• Love 4

Yeah! Forgot about that! Isn't he (secretly) getting money/support from BOTH parents? I don't recall him ever telling anyone about the money he gets from mom...twice what he gets from dad...

Oh show....I'm really close to hate-watching now, ala How I Met Your Mother...

• Love 4
18 hours ago, ExplainItAgain said:

I'm actually kind of mad that we find this out in a throwaway line of dialogue. A bunch of Raj's flash-in-the-pan girlfriends get cameos a couple of episodes ago, but we got a season and a half of Priya and I guess they've just kind of written her out of existence. I know she was never popular as a character, but at this point bringing her back for an episode or two couldn't possibly make the show less interesting.

I was glad to see Raj's dad again. Hopefully this becomes a redemption arc for Raj. (BTW, I can't speak to typical family relations in India, but I had a male Indian-American friend whose parents were paying for his car and buying him clothes well into his 30s--and after he had a professional job. So, this storyline didn't feel far-fetched to me.)

• Love 6
4 hours ago, iMonrey said:

Sheldon admitting he had his drivers license was pretty funny, though. I also cracked up at the idea of him following Zachary Quinto in a restroom and talking to him through the stall door. 

All I could think of was the time Sheldon was mistakenly sent the life-sized cutout of Zachary Quinto as Spock, instead of Leonard Nemoy, and Sheldon saying, "Suck it Zachary Quinto!"  

2 hours ago, hnygrl said:

Isn't he (secretly) getting money/support from BOTH parents? I don't recall him ever telling anyone about the money he gets from mom...twice what he gets from dad...

I thought so too, and was surprised he didn't mention it.  The lack of continuity this season is a bit grating.  Unlike many posters here though, I still love this show. 

My gawsh --- $300 for a designer baby cape?! 

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Love 4
45 minutes ago, Cowgirl said:

That's an expensive receptacle for baby vomit, which we just KNOW is going to be it's ultimate fate!

I think that's why Howard said "oh, now we have a duplicate" (or something like that), so they can take it back.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, shura said:

When Penny just went and said Raj could live with them, I thought "Didn't you just have a huge fight with your husband over the exact same thing?"

Leonard has been friends with Raj since two years before Penny moved into the building. The option was going to come up anyway.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, hnygrl said:

Oh show....I'm really close to hate-watching now, ala How I Met Your Mother...

I don't think any show will ever match how hard I hate-watched How I Met Your Mother. This show makes me sad cause it was so good, But I still get enraged when I think back to HIMYM!

• Love 4
11 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Leonard has been friends with Raj since two years before Penny moved into the building. The option was going to come up anyway.

The same can be said about Penny's brother. Leonard wasn't mad about the option, he was mad about the way she went about it.

Edited by shura

True, but there's also a world of difference between a close friend living with them who can well afford to pay his share as opposed to Penny's ex-con brother who would most likely have mooched off them and never gotten a job!

8 hours ago, rmontro said:

I really dislike the way this show deals with money.  The physicists are all portrayed as being paupers basically, except for Sheldon.

I hate this too!  And much as I actually did like this episode I really hate the way they made it seem like just because Bernadette (and Penny as well although I can't remember now if they reference that) makes more money than Howard that means Howard is living off her.  UGH.  There have been times in my marriage ( not now) where I've made more money than my husband and that never ever meant suddenly his salary made no impact on the family finances.   So stupid!  Typical Lorre attitude - you are rich or you are poor there's nothing in between.  

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 5

I also think when it comes to gender dynamics and money on Lorre shows, there's an element of emasculation that is used. The woman makes more, so therefore the men as reduced to nothing because of that, snicker, snicker. I hate the attitude that a higher earning woman somehow makes a man lesser and the man should feel shame. Money does have an element of power but the way it's depicted on his shows is regressive and distinctly not funny. I could write so much more on this but I'll bite my tongue.

• Love 20