Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: Wake Up

• Start Topic

Was not expecting Mack to have had a daughter.  That was surprising, I'm really glad he wasn't the LMD that Radcliffe was talking about.

Speaking of Radcliffe, he's in for a whole universe of pain.  Reminding May of that mission, he may just want turn himself into SHIELD right now for his own protection.

Fitz seeing through it all was awesome.

• Love 4

One step forward, two steps back, five steps diagonally. Because AoS, that's why.

Seriously, how does SHIELD stay in business? Does Mace have to bench-press trucks to entertain politicians? At least Fitz wasn't a lost cause. He had reasons, and it looked like his plan worked. Then "Radcliffe" was exposed as a LMD. Dang.

Tonight was good . . , but next week looks to be Crisis of Infinite Oswalts. Should be awesome. Not enen an insane fembot can ruin that. I hope not.

• Love 3

Just when I thought Radcliffe couldn't be even worse, it turns out the one that we've been seeing these past few episode was actually another LMD, and the real one is in league with Senator Nadeer this time.  Damn you, Radcliffe!  Still blame John Hannah for having a perfect mixture of slimness, but somehow being likable at times.  I want to root for you, man, but you make it almost impossible every time!

So, Fitz actually wasn't being a complete idiot, but was suspicious of Radcliffe all along.  Still probably could have found some way to loop in Simmons, instead of being all cagey.  Even if he didn't want to excuse Radcliffe yet until he had proof, just tell her something, instead of being all shifty about it.

Yikes, Coulson's back to calling the shots, and he completely gets played by Nadeer.  Talk about being rusty.  Even he had to admit that Talbot was right on some levels, which is pretty bad since saying Talbot is right about anything is probably as painful as the time he lost his hand.

Knew all of Melinda's stuff was simulation, but it was fun watching Aida and Melinda duke it out.  Mallory Jansen was definitely working the whole Terminator style in those scenes.  But now Radcliffe seems to have figured out to just have her relieve the mission she failed, but succeed this time, and that seems to have calmed her... for now.

Mack and Elena are getting even closer.  I so this doesn't mean one of them is going to bite it.

Next week looks like it will be really fun!

• Love 2

The one thing that's actually good about this show is that it's able to pull off most of its surprising twists, and they have followed through on them. I was trying to guess who the second LMD was and went back and forth on Mack and Elena. I never even suspected it was Radcliffe himself, so good job on surprising me. 

It does suck that he's the leak, and it does suck that he has May captured and trapped under simulations, but John Hannah does still make Radcliffe likable. I do believe him when he says that he doesn't want to harm anyone, but I do wonder about Aida still and if she'll get reprogrammed by Nadir or one of her henchmen to kill. 

I'm glad Fitz was suspicious of Radcliffe. I know it was all used for the shocking reveal, even if it was annoying to see him so secretive. 

So, Coulson's first mission as half Director, and he gets caught. Nice job, Coulson. I do like that Nadir is crafty and smart. She really played her cards right. 

I'm getting a certain vibe about Daisy and Mace. Not sure if I like it. I do like Daisy again, especially now that she's not front and center in the stories. 

I really didn't see Mack's twist coming. I was totally taken aback when he confessed that he had a daughter. 

I do enjoy Talbot and I'm not even sure why, since he can be such a dick. Maybe it's the combination of the actor and his character being a frenemy to Coulson. Either way, I have always enjoyed his appearances. 

• Love 7

I'm getting a certain vibe about Daisy and Mace. Not sure if I like it. I do like Daisy again, especially now that she's not front and center in the stories. 

I've been getting a vibe too from Daisy and Mace.  The two shine together in their scenes.

I knew Mack had a daughter who has passed away when he was holding that picture after Ghost Rider had left his body.

Knew that what May was going through was a simulation based on what Aida said last episode.  Still, the action scenes were pretty awesome.

Didn't expect Radcliffe to be an LMD.  That was a surprise.

• Love 3

I know this is one of those "don't bother asking" questions, but how is it possible for  Radcliffe to secretly build these super androids using all SHIIELD owned and controlled materials and computers?! Is SHIELD security so feeble that people can simply turn off their computer screens to "hide" their work? Gah. 
If only AoS had some team member with super hacking skillz that went beyond looking up people's social media information.

And, yeah, it was bad-ass for Fitz to cap fake-Radcliffe in the head - but dude, you just spent days trying to rebuild Aida's head to get evidence. Maybe try using more smarts and less firepower. 

I did not like any of the failed plan to get surveillance on the Evil Senator. I think better writers could create challenges for AoS without making them look like incompetent boobs on one day and super-spies with cutting-edge technology on the next day.  The congressional hearing blah-blah-blah didn't help to keep my eyes open, either. (Didn't anyone learn this from The Phantom Menace and its time-stopping committee meeting scenes?) 

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, tankgirl73 said:

Completely shallow note: I could watch -- or rather, listen to -- Fitz and Radcliffe talking to each other all day long. Oh, those glorious, glorious Scottish accents!!!

See I could agree with this but as fellow Weegie like Iain and John Hannah the cadence is all wrong .It needs to be faster ,the accent would be thicker than when they are speaking to anyone else and there would be a shit load of casual profanity sprinkled in. Which is how they probably speak to each other when not being filmed .

• Love 5

I'm glad they explained how LMayD is able to pass as May, what with the whole memory photocopier, but what? Radcliffe has a machine that can copy someone's memory? That is not an insignificant detail that should be glossed over in a quick flashback! That is huge technology that has dozens of very helpful and/or creepy uses and we really need to circle back to that. Grab a Watchdog, shove it on his head, photocopy his brain and load it into a pliable LMD to find out all their business! I'm not okay with such an important thing being treated like a minor detail.

Coulson has been in charge for a day and he walked right into a trap and managed to get himself and Yo-Yo captured. This is why other people need to be in charge. Coulson is good at being an agent and he's also good at the part of being a manager where you manage people but he's not shown much skill at being a planner. He should not be in charge of the thing he's in charge of. It's literally his worst attribute.

Fitz grabbing a gun and shooting Radcliffe in the head was shocking, even though I too was pretty sure that Radcliffe was an LMD at that point. Fitz has come such a long way and is pretty badass now! I don't see why he had to keep his work a secret from Simmons though. That was just pointless drama.

• Love 9

Anyone else seriously impressed with how good this episode was? I think I was losing interest in AOS during the Ghost Rider arc (GR was cool, but honestly, that arc did not feel entirely like SHIELD.) But this second half, LMD, has been pretty fucking solid so far.

• May's escape by using the glass was impressive. This is the Calvary we're talking about. Was there any doubt she'd find a way out.. simulation or not haha.
  • That May vs Aida fight was badass. Melinda May beat a fucking robot. Again, I know - simulation, but it's still quite a feat. 
  • Anyone else think Agents Of SHIELD is handling the Sokovia Accords 10x better than the movies? The hearing/signing for Daisy was a perfect stage to present the signing process. Do better, movie side. 
  • I liked Daisy/Mace's convo btw. I thought Mace was set to become evil when we first met him, but he is quickly turning into one of this show's most endearing characters. Largely humanized by the previous episode. And he has good chemistry with the team. I'm cool with him sticking around.
  • I knew Coulson/Yo-Yo would get caught, but goddamn it was pretty bad. 
  • Who else thought Daisy looked absolutely stunning in that red outfit she wore? Almost turned me straight for a minute, lol.
  • The ending twist with AIDA/May was awesome, even though I really wanted May to have escaped. All in due time I know. But, hey.. May took on an android twice and won. She's no sitting duck. Our lady will make it through this.
  • The Radcliff!LMD twist at the end was insane. It just really cemented how good this new arc is, and how well handled this LMD story is being crafted. Now that real!Radcliff is in cahoots with Nadeer, both of this arc's plot points look to be merging together. 

Overall, I am really enjoying the LMD story so far. Not that I didn't enjoy the GR first half, but to me it just felt a little different from what we're used to from SHIELD, and also kinda gritty. Like I said, it was an interesting experiment, but they should leave the gritty stuff to Netflix. AOS is fine as is, and does not have to change to match the netflix shows. Especially when AOS continues to run circles around the movies and other shows combined. It's a shame how laughably overlooked SHIELD has become outside of the show's corner of the Marvel fandom.

• Love 6

I like AGENT Coulson a lot.  I think DIRECTOR Coulson is a complete dick (and an incompetent one, too).  He's a much better character working in the field and taking orders from a strong boss.  Also, would it hurt him to treat the General with a little respect?  He's a jerk, but he's got some decent insight into things, and he seems like an okayt guy when he's not blustering about something or other.  Working WITH the guy would yield better results than constantly working against him.

• Love 16
24 minutes ago, Gregg247 said:

I like AGENT Coulson a lot.  I think DIRECTOR Coulson is a complete dick (and an incompetent one, too).  He's a much better character working in the field and taking orders from a strong boss.  Also, would it hurt him to treat the General with a little respect?  He's a jerk, but he's got some decent insight into things, and he seems like an okayt guy when he's not blustering about something or other.  Working WITH the guy would yield better results than constantly working against him.

THIS.  Coulson is a like a guy who was a really good mid-manager that they made the CEO of the company because he's been around for 30 years.  Tonight was proof of that.

Considering he was publicly arrested, I assume that everyone finally knows he's still alive too.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 9

incompetent boobs

So, not Aida? I keed, I keed

I'm not entirely sure I get Radcliffe's motivations to work with the Senator here. Is he just being petulant because SHIELD won't let him have the Darkhold? Does he think she will some how help him get the Darkhold? Is she willing to work on a sweet sweet Military contract for LMDs for him?

I was sure the "other" LMD wasn't Daisy or Elena because I doubt he could replicate Inhuman abilities

• Love 2

Solid episode.  I can't to see The Calvary come to the rescue and then kick Radcliffe's ass so hard on lands on CBS.  

I'll be surprised if Nadeer's boss isn't someone we've seen before.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

One step forward, two steps back, five steps diagonally. Because AoS, that's why.

Seriously, how does SHIELD stay in business? Does Mace have to bench-press trucks to entertain politicians? At least Fitz wasn't a lost cause. He had reasons, and it looked like his plan worked. Then "Radcliffe" was exposed as a LMD. Dang.

Tonight was good . . , but next week looks to be Crisis of Infinite Oswalts. Should be awesome. Not enen an insane fembot can ruin that. I hope not.

Oooh, I didn't see the preview. We really get multiple Patton Oswalts? Fun!!

1 hour ago, Terrafamilia said:

I hate to say this but I was totally on Team Nadeer during the hearing.

I can't give up my vision of Dr Neela Rasgotra. . . she was good and kind and. . . sigh. . .

• Love 2
23 hours ago, Jediknight said:

Speaking of Radcliffe, he's in for a whole universe of pain.  Reminding May of that mission, he may just want turn himself into SHIELD right now for his own protection.

Yep, I think we've just been guaranteed May's taking out Radcliffe by season's end.

• Love 7

Whatever they are I've been waiting for this moment since the LMD story started!  I was psyched when I saw the trailer.

This was pretty strong ep character-wise.  I was surprisingly invested in the Daisy/Mace conversation in the courtroom.  I like that Mace is sticking around as figurehead director.  He and Talbot both make a good counterbalance to Coulson.  I agree with those above that as director Coulson just doesn't have it.

Fitz's performance was very good in the final scene with LMDRadcliffe.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, CyberJawa1986 said:

Yep, I think we've just been guaranteed May's taking out Radcliffe by season's end.

They would certainly be coming full circle if that happens.  Last season, May actually saved Radcliffe.  This season, if she's the one who does him in, she's the one who shuffles him off the mortal coil.  I have the strangest feeling it'll end up being Fitz, though, since they've emphasized the relationship between him and Radcliffe so much.

Speaking of their friendship, I did love the nod to the close friendship Fitz thought he'd shared with Ward (though his name wasn't mentioned), and history now repeating itself with Radcliffe betraying him and the others the way Ward also did.  For the second time, someone he'd thought of as a friend has betrayed the team.

I kinda figured that May was in a simulation the moment she left Radcliffe's apartment and didn't go outside like others who've left.  I knew for sure when Aida went over the balcony.  But she'd better escape soon.  And she'd better kick Radcliffe's ass once she's free.

I do like Radcliffe, but seriously.  I don't see how he comes out of this season alive or, if he lives, avoiding incarceration.  As of these last three episodes, there is pretty much no way he comes back from this.  About the only redeeming things about him are his clearly genuine regret about Nathanson's death and his adamant stance that he doesn't want another person to die because of him or Aida.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, teenj12 said:

Anyone else seriously impressed with how good this episode was? I think I was losing interest in AOS during the Ghost Rider arc (GR was cool, but honestly, that arc did not feel entirely like SHIELD.) But this second half, LMD, has been pretty fucking solid so far.

I'm the opposite... I am completely bored by the LMD storyline.  I find it very uninteresting, but maybe that's because I think Westworld did it better.  These LMDs seem pretty invincible.  Even when they cut the head off one like they did with Original Aida, no biggie, they just make another one.  I have to confess that I really have absolutely no idea what is going on.  I don't know what Radcliffe's motivation is, I don't know what Nadeer wants other than to shut down SHIELD, I don't know why Radcliffe is secretly working with Nadeer.

Title of the episode is ironic for me... "Wake Up", as in wake me up when this storyline is over.

I like Mace and hope he can stick around.  Even if he isn't Inhuman, so what?  He has super strength caused by a serum.  How is that any different than Tony Stark having no powers and relying on a fancy suit.  But I'm really missing the premise of this whole show.  Remember Season 1?  SHIELD was supposed to tackle the superpowered Case of the Week and defend the world from these threats.  There was a variety of villains, cool powers,etc.  I know that shows evolve, but I wish we could go back to more of that.

• Love 3

Coulson is a like a guy who was a really good mid-manager that they made the CEO of the company because he's been around for 30 years.

The Peter Principle at work.

I kinda figured that May was in a simulation the moment she left Radcliffe's apartment and didn't go outside like others who've left.  I knew for sure when Aida went over the balcony. 

I started questioning things when Aida knocked over the beaker and said, "not again." (Or something similar.) Weird thing to have at that point in the story and also, why would an LMD be so clutzy. When May opened the door to a metal staircase, I pretty much knew this had to be a simulation.

• Love 4

Very relieved neither Fitz nor Mack turned out to be the second LMD. Poor Fitz, betrayed yet again although his shooting the Radcliffe LMD I love Jemma being protective "You don't talk to him!"

If Hawkeye can have a secret family he's never mentioned before I can buy Mack having a baby that lived only a few days.

Damn, Radcliffe is just straight up evil, making May relive Bahrain again, even if it with a happier ending. I can't see how May doesn't kill him when she gets free.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, Michel said:

Speaking of their friendship, I did love the nod to the close friendship Fitz thought he'd shared with Ward (though his name wasn't mentioned), and history now repeating itself with Radcliffe betraying him and the others the way Ward also did.  For the second time, someone he'd thought of as a friend has betrayed the team.

I didn't even think of that! Poor Fitz. I gave him a hard time last week, but this week proved he does still have a working brain in there. At least he was suspicious of Radcliffe and figured out that he wasn't even really Radcliffe. He still clearly needs to work on his communications skills though. They spent forever getting him and Simmons together, and now they hardly even act like a couple.

I will very much miss Radcliffe and Fitz getting their Scottish on together, even if I feel like the actors are holding back on laying on their accents REALLY thick (like when I've seen Scottish people in real life talking). And damn John Hannah for being so damn likable even while he does awful things. I actually do buy that he thinks what he's doing is right, even while he betrays everyone over and over. It was even worse in Spartacus, when he played a character who did even more terrible things, for worse reasons, and I STILL found him likable.

Coulson really is a sucky director. He`s great as a middle man, team leader, or filed agent, but as Director, he lacks foresight, is something of a hot head, a poor planner, and is terrible at working with people either at his level or above it. I know Talbot is an asshole, but he does have some insights about these kinds of things.

Mace and Daisy are a fun pairing. I don't know what kind of pairing, but I enjoy how the actors work together. Really, Mace and Coulson should be co-leaders of SHIELD. Mace can do more planning and politics, and Coulson can be more in charge of field work.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Michel said:

Third time; Mack was part of "Real SHIELD."

Just now, DeepPoet117 said:

Fitz said second, though.  Probably because he managed to forgive Mack and thus doesn't count it.  He didn't forgive Ward, and I don't think he'll forgive Radcliffe.

44 minutes ago, DeepPoet117 said:

42 minutes ago, Michel said:

Fitz said second, though.  Probably because he managed to forgive Mack and thus doesn't count it.  He didn't forgive Ward, and I don't think he'll forgive Radcliffe.

For the viewers, it's the third time that Fitz had a friend that turned out to betray him. 

I liked the episode. The last scene with Radcliffe and Nadeer made me think something crazy. what if Radcliffe is actually working undercover for Shield to get to meet Nadeer's boss? The only thing I can't make fit is May. Anyway, when she said that he would have to meet the boss, that's what I immediately thought.

• Love 3
12 hours ago, DeepPoet117 said:

Meh, I don't think the Mac thing counts. Ward and Radcliffe turned out to be evil psychos. It was more of a betrayal with them

• Love 2

I hate, hate, hate all the breadcrumbs they are laying down leading to Coulson/May. These two have been really good friends and trusted co-workers for decades. NOT ALL MEN AN WOMEN HAVE TO END UP AS COUPLES! Argh.

I am hoping against hope that there will be a twist—that YoYo and Radcliffe can assume or think they see something there, because Coulson and May are close, but that Radcliffe influencing LMayD to put the moves on Phil tips him off because Phil knows it's not like that between them. 

• Love 2

I hate, hate, hate all the breadcrumbs they are laying down leading to Coulson/May. These two have been really good friends and trusted co-workers for decades. NOT ALL MEN AN WOMEN HAVE TO END UP AS COUPLES! Argh.

I agree, especially since she isn't "May". Though I'm hoping that she turns on Radcliffe at some point. I also hope that May actually escapes soon.

Overall, good episode. I liked that it turns out that Fitz figured something out and wasn't an android. I'm hoping that this means that the only main character android that is left is the May one and Aida 2.

• Love 2

Late to the party but there is still another leak in SHIELD right?  Or is it automatically fake-May's spy-eye and Radcliffe giving up the goods to Nadeera to ingratiate himself with her?  Like he said, he needed to get out of SHIELD because he knew he would be found out soon after AIDA 2.0 didn't get the Darkhold.

• Love 2
On 25/01/2017 at 3:29 PM, benteen said:

THIS.  Coulson is a like a guy who was a really good mid-manager that they made the CEO of the company because he's been around for 30 years.  Tonight was proof of that.

Considering he was publicly arrested, I assume that everyone finally knows he's still alive too.

So are you saying he is the Michael Scott of the MCU? I wonder if he has ever used the phrase "That's what she said"?

Catching up on this past season and i found this one kind of boring. The fact that May was being Matrixed seemed super obvious, and bugging a sitting Senator's office seemed dumb. Especially with all the tech they have, why would you have to do it in person?

On 1/25/2017 at 1:34 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Still blame John Hannah for having a perfect mixture of slimness, but somehow being likable at times.

I'm assuming you meant sliminess but he is slim too. :-)

Edited by AAEBoiler