Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E03: Cynthia's Story

• Start Topic

6 hours ago, Azubah said:

I agree with others that Cynthia had a bad attitude. But she probably wasn't lying when she said she was hungry all the time. And it's entirely possible that her hunger is physical and not some psychological problem. It's far more likely that she has some hormonal imbalance that is screwing up her appetite control. I get kind of tired of Dr. Now insisting that the surgery works exactly the same for everyone and if it doesn't, then you need psychological help. Weight, appetite, etc., are very complex and poorly understood. 

Just curious, Azubuh, if it is hormonal, what is the treatment?  I had a hysterectomy about a year and a half ago and I NOW can totally understand everything causing maladies when hormones are out of whack, especially estrogen.  It has been a loooong journey but slowly increasing my estrogen(no progesterone because I had my uterus removed-I know TMI!) and waiting through horrible symptoms of estrogen adjustment has been rough.  I honestly think that a lot of women who suffer weight or other medical problems can closely look at their hormones(imbalances) and see that might be the issue but healthcare is not even close to that kind of care or technology. Instead we have to suffer with gynecological issues and then they barbarically take out our female organs!  Sorry for the rant but I am of the belief that balanced hormones, especially estrogen, are of the utmost importance to optimal health.  Hell, a lot of doctors still believe if a woman has PCOS that having her ovaries removed will fix it!  So very frustrating!!

Cynthia probably has an endocrine disease and there for a hormone imbalance but she also has a stank attitude.  

Edited by raiderred1
  • Love 6

The food she made was unhealthy, but that little girl cooking put the Duggar girls to shame, just in the sense of skill,  not content, they make everything frozen and this little girl was whipping up everything by herself like she had been working for years (well I guess she had.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, flappa1016 said:

But between the diet and the surgery, the hormones that affect hunger and satiety are brought back into a semblance of normalcy.  I have binge eating disorder, and the ONLY thing that has ever worked for me (other than Phen-Fen) is a low carbohydrate diet.  When you eat a diet that is high in carbohydrate, blood glucose, insulin, ghrelin and leptin are all out of whack.  Remove the carbohydrate and increase the protein and fats, and they all start working properly again.  When I first started a LCHF diet, it was like a switch was turned on in my body and for the first time, I was actually satisfied by "normal" amounts of foods.  Combine that with a smaller stomach of these bariatric patients, and there is no physiologic need to overeat - just an emotional need. 

Honestly, the bacon, eggs and sausage were probably the most healthy things they ate during the show.  I eat 2-3 eggs with either bacon or sausage almost every day and I've lose 80 lbs.  My total cholesterol dropped down to a range where my doctor stopped pushing statins on me (not that I'd EVER fill a Rx for that poison!), my trigs dropped from 130 down to 78, and my HDL went from 63 to 74.  I use a food logging site and my diet breaks down to 60-75% fat.

Yes, I've eaten LCHF for over a year now and it has totally changed my relationship with food. Before, I was always hungry, thinking about food, and never satisfied. My sugar cravings were out of control and hindering my weight loss. LCHF has totally changed all of that, with a nice bonus of the anti-inflammatory benefits helping my eczema and skin issues. I would recommend it to anyone. I love all the meat and butter I get to eat. lol

• Love 3

Like Cynthia, I had a gastric sleeve done last May 2016. My problem was a bit of food addiction, not taking care of myself (living alone, convenience foods and take out) and alcohol. In 2015, I decided to get my sh*t together and quit drinking, started going to AA. I applied for gastric surgery (I'm in Canada) and told them everything (quitting booze, attempts to lose weight on my own, WW, Herbal Magic, etc... I've been gaining and losing the same 100 pounds my entire adult life - I needed permanent help). Before my first consultation, I told them that I had already quit booze, smoking, bubbly sodas and drinks, and sweets. I really wanted to show them that I understood the surgery and what it took to succeed. They said yes! 

Before the surgery, I met with their staff psychologist (to make sure I was mentally fit for this challenge), dietitian (numerous times), group meetings, solo meetings, it was intense for a while. I missed soda for a long time, but it's getting better. The longer I stay away from fast food, bread (I was a bread freak), alcohol, etc... I miss it less and less. 

I did meet some people in the group meetings and support groups that I felt were in no place mentally for this surgery. I don't know if the doctors ended up delaying their surgery or what, but they reminded me of some of the folk we meet on this show. Unwilling to change, follow the directions, trying to find ways to "cheat" the surgery - and then getting upset that they're not losing or they're gaining back the weight. 

One lady in my group got her surgery (gastric bypass), and on the way home from the hospital stopped at McDonalds for a Big Mac meal. She tore open her new stomach and ended up spending four months in the hospital to recover.

All that to say, this is a surgery not to be taken lightly. It's not the magic spell many think it is, and it's a life changing thing: if you let it. If you just end up cheating, not listening to directions, etc... you're just hurting yourself in the end and wasting time.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, raiderred1 said:

Cynthia probably has an endocrine disease and there for a hormone imbalance but she also has a stank attitude.  

Endocrine disorders can affect weight (something I am personally familiar with). But it doesn't do it on its own. When my endocrinologist advised that my weight gains were due to "heavy fork syndrome", he was making it very clear that I could not totally blame my imbalance for my gain. That was very hard to hear (and took me years to accept), as I'd been hoping that getting my hormones straightened out would get rid of the extra weight. No such luck.

There is also a huge difference between physical hunger (when your stomach is completely empty and grumbling) and the kind of mental hunger that seems to drive so many of us. We eat for so many reasons and actual hunger probably isn't related to our body actually needing food. We eat for pleasure, for stress relief, to relieve boredom, for comfort... people who overeat to the point where they weigh 600 pounds aren't eating that much because they're physically hungry. Cynthia wasn't eating two pizzas at one sitting because she was physically hungry and it would take that much to satiate her hunger. She mentally wanted to eat and classified that drive to eat as "hunger" when more than likely it wasn't her body driving that response. And with her being as sedentary as she was, anything she ate would go right into fat. It just becomes a vicious cycle.

The hard truth that many obese people (myself included) have a hard time understanding is that all of the physical things that we blame for our obesity are just factors. It means that we're more likely to be overweight than our counterparts, but it's not that we're doomed if we are careful with our diets and get plenty of physical activity. Endocrine imbalances and things like polycystic ovarian syndrome are not the be all/end all of the problem.

Edited by Hana Chan
  • Love 4

Is anyone else bothered that TLC promotes the show "My Big Fat Fabulous Life," or whatever it's called, during 600 LB Life?   I am.  Being morbidly obese is not anything to celebrate.   I haven't watched Fat Fabulous Life, so someone can correct me if maybe she's on a weight loss journey herself.  She looks though to be the same weight in the commercial as last year, that is, morbidly obese.

I opened an account here just to make that comment.  That's how bothered I am by it. 

• Love 13
7 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

In the last few minutes she pretty much said that she wasn't going back to Dr. Now and that she wanted to do it on her own at her own pace (shades of Pauline). I fear that her eating will slowly ramp up and the weight will come back on because she has no one making her weigh herself and she hasn't dealt with the emotional issues that caused her to pack on hundreds of pounds. 

I was very disappointed because clearly Cynthia was smart and educated and her kids were so sweet and they all clearly have a loving healthy relationship. Even Dr. Now approached her initially like you are a teacher, you know the drill, then she disappointed. It's really too bad. 

Oh thats so sad!! she has so much to live for. plus the show I assume pays for all of this, thats a shame that she stopped seeing the dr.:(

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Pers said:

I assumed that the bio mother has been blocked by restraining orders (or the like), maybe she ultimately died? No clue.

2 minutes ago, LeeAnn said:

Is anyone else bothered that TLC promotes the show "My Big Fat Fabulous Life," or whatever it's called, during 600 LB Life?   I am.  Being morbidly obese is not anything to celebrate.   I haven't watched Fat Fabulous Life, so someone can correct me if maybe she's on a weight loss journey herself.  She looks though to be the same weight in the commercial as last year, that is, morbidly obese.

I opened an account here just to make that comment.  That's how bothered I am by it. 

Yeah. We've talked about that a little....

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, Hana Chan said:

Endocrine disorders can affect weight (something I am personally familiar with). But it doesn't do it on its own.

The hard truth that many obese people (myself included) have a hard time understanding is that all of the physical things that we blame for our obesity are just factors. It means that we're more likely to be overweight than our counterparts, but it's not that we're doomed if we are careful with our diets and get plenty of physical activity. Endocrine imbalances and things like polycystic ovarian syndrome are not the be all/end all of the problem.

HANA CHAN, I totally agree with this and forgive me for my "hormone" rant as I had never really put the two together until my hysterectomy-sad.  I do not have a weight issue but a lot of issues really came up when I hit my 40's.  I got my degree in exercise physiology and love learning any kind of science but this truly alluded me until I had an ovarian cyst rupture and had to end up with a hysterectomy. We all go into perimenopause but I did not realize the changes(on the inside especially) that happen to women and so many times these things go on for years. They actually thought my problem was diverticulitis and not reproductive as the pain was always low left quadrant.  I was in my early forties when the GI issues all started, hmmmm, same time I could possibly start perimenopause!   Testing for sexual hormones is very unreliable because you are only getting a tiny picture of what your estrogen, progesterone and testosterone are doing at that very moment the blood is drawn so they have got to do more research into why we, especially women, go through so many problems and diseases.  I was told for years that I had fibromyalgia and took Cymbalta for the pain.  I do not suffer any of those joint pains anymore that my estrogen has been supplemented.  Women have got to help other women and not stay so silent about what can happen to your body when you hit perimenopause. My mother had not spoken about her journey and it was pretty awful, too.  Anyway, I don't mean to get off topic but hormones are a funny thing!

Back to regular programming.  Cynthia, teach those boys to be product citizens and don't just use Ukiah as your personal Cinderella!!! I have a younger brother and, hell yeah, he had to clean and do chores just like me and my sister!  My husband was also taught this by his single, raising two boys-mother. It's 2017!

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, LeeAnn said:

I've never watched it either but I recall the premise was that she gained the weight by something being wrong with her (hormones?) and not so much over eating.  I thought the first season was about her trying to lose weight but after seeing season after season where she looks the same I do kind of give it a side-eye.  But no idea what the show is about now! To me it just looks like a lot of pre-created drama. 

I was another one that noticed now nice Cynthia dressed.  I thought maybe they couldn't find really cute clothes but Cynthia has proven them all wrong!  She must get some additional assistance to afford everything that she does.  I wonder if her children get some sort of social security payments. The house wasn't anything fancy so I wouldn't be surprised if it's a low-income rental.

• Love 2
32 minutes ago, LeeAnn said:

OMG, girl, the snark for that show. Check out the forum for that show, and just read maybe the last few pages of the Whitney thread. We are all truly horrified, as you are.

• Love 7

@raiderred1, if I knew the magic cure for screwed-up hormones, believe me, I'd tell the world. As others have mentioned, sometimes a LCHF diet helps not only with weight but with other hormonal issues. I have a super hard time sticking to LCHF, mostly because I like my red wine...which explains why I also watch a lot of Intervention. Sigh.

• Love 1
52 minutes ago, LeeAnn said:

19 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

OMG, girl, the snark for that show. Check out the forum for that show, and just read maybe the last few pages of the Whitney thread. We are all truly horrified, as you are.

Let's put it this way, we are all waiting for a cross-over show with My Big Fat Fabulous Life and My 600 pound Life.

• Love 16
36 minutes ago, ClareWalks said:

Thanks for directing me there.  Oh, my.  You-all are hilarious!! 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, ClareWalks said:

Horrified by the fact that Whitney glorifies her state, or horrified by the snark, or both?

• Love 3

I've only just started watching this episode. I don't know what other money she has coming in, because my husband is a teacher in Oklahoma and if I have no work on, we really struggle, and we do not live large - we have 2 kids-. We only have one car between us right now, too. Also, he has really shitty health insurance and it only covers him. 

• Love 2

I thought Cynthia would have been a good candidate for cognitive behavioral therapy. You don't want to have therapy where you talk about your fee fee's endlessly and try to convince yourself you are repressing memories of childhood sexual abuse, fine -- CBT is all about learning techniques for coping with problems/temptations/addictions etc. in healthy ways, without worrying about how your mother was mean to you when you were three and you've been traumatized ever since.

It makes me so upset when I see so many people on this show trying to get healthy themselves and adopt a better way of eating, yet continuing to feed their children a steady diet of junk. There is no reason not to focus on feeding those children lean protein, veggies, certain fruits and dairy, rather than "this is the closet where I keep the Ho Ho's and the chips and the candy bars for the children." You aren't doing your children any favors by feeding them that crap. Children of obese parents are far, far more likely to be obese and are served well by being fed healthy food throughout childhood, rather than feeding them junk, watching them balloon up, then try to teach them to eat better (or sign them up for surgery too).

• Love 13
18 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

I missed it early on, but did they say why she ended up with the 3 kids? Did someone die? seems like they have a large family, I wonder why the family would put all 3 kids on her.

Cynthia said that the kids' bio dad was physically abusing them.  When she made the statement that they had already lost one mom, I got the impression that she was deceased. 

16 hours ago, Azubah said:

I agree with others that Cynthia had a bad attitude. But she probably wasn't lying when she said she was hungry all the time. And it's entirely possible that her hunger is physical and not some psychological problem. It's far more likely that she has some hormonal imbalance that is screwing up her appetite control. I get kind of tired of Dr. Now insisting that the surgery works exactly the same for everyone and if it doesn't, then you need psychological help. Weight, appetite, etc., are very complex and poorly understood.

I was thinking the same thing about the psychological part.  According to Cynthia, she had a fairly normal childhood, she was just always overweight because she was always hungry.  She didn't have the sexual abuse as a child most of the other women on this show had, but she did say she was made fun of in school and tried to commit suicide when she was in high school.  Her brother was very supportive and her cousin was a sweetheart to take time out to help her with her diet so her family seemed very nice (other than the kids bio dad who physically abused them and possibly killed their mother).  I agree that sometimes, it's not psychological.  I also believe Cynthia was hungry all the time.  It could be that whatever physical part of our brain that tells us we are full was malfunctioning on her.  Isn't that connected to the pituitary gland?

Edited by swankie
To correct something I said.
  • Love 1

My aunt and uncle and their three kids were all morbidly obese when I was growing up. My aunt probably weighed over 500 lbs and my cousin was about the same. We would go over there as kids and I remember being astonished at the amount and type of food on the dinner table. We have German roots, my grandmother emigrated here as a child, so dinners were potatoes, casseroles, sausages, carbs and carbs and more carbs. There was no abuse, no molestation, just very unhealthy food habits. When my 2 cousins went away to college, they both came back at least 50 pounds lighter at Christmas. My aunt died, most likely as a result of her weight. My uncle remarried a few years later and I almost didn't recognize him a couple years after his marriage. His new wife and he ate healthy so all the weight was gone. I guess my point is that while trauma can trigger food  addiction, there are many super obese people who are not trauma survivors. With my cousins, it was definitely their eating habits, because as soon as they left home, they lost weight. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

I found a lot of things in this ep hard to watch, but watching her daughter forced into the position of caretaker at such a young age was really heartbreaking. To have to see your mother naked and clean the backs of her legs because she can't do it herself is unreal. And cooking all of the meals... that just killed me.

OMG!  You must not have seen Milla's story then.  She too adopted 4 kids besides giving birth to 1 child.  She had this huge lymphedema between her legs so the one son had to hold it up while her daughter washed her private parts.  And all of her kids would be in the room as she was being bathed, the youngest being 8 years old.  The daughter was older than 11, but she probably had to start from a younger age also.  She did all of the shopping and most of the cooking too because Milla's husband was also ill and bound to a wheelchair.  As long as I live I could never put my young kids in that position.  smdh

12 hours ago, Toaster Strudel said:

1) The amount of food she ate before work was insane.  Breakfast at home (bacon, french toast, sausage, scrambled egg), then pick up two big breakfast burritos at the fast food with all the trimmings, then OMG two pepperoni pizzas.  Who makes pizzas in the morning and delivers them to a school? Just wow.  And the mouthfuls she was taking were frighteningly huge, I thought she'd choke but then another huge food boulder was getting stuffed on top of it.  Ah well.

I thought I heard Dr. Now say during the surgery that Cynthia's stomach was the size of a watermelon.  Even so, to eat two whole pizzas back to back after a huge breakfast, I'm surprised her "watermelon" didn't burst on its own.  That's totally insane.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Pers said:

Like Cynthia, I had a gastric sleeve done last May 2016. My problem was a bit of food addiction, not taking care of myself (living alone, convenience foods and take out) and alcohol. In 2015, I decided to get my sh*t together and quit drinking, started going to AA. I applied for gastric surgery (I'm in Canada) and told them everything (quitting booze, attempts to lose weight on my own, WW, Herbal Magic, etc... I've been gaining and losing the same 100 pounds my entire adult life - I needed permanent help). Before my first consultation, I told them that I had already quit booze, smoking, bubbly sodas and drinks, and sweets. I really wanted to show them that I understood the surgery and what it took to succeed. They said yes! 

Before the surgery, I met with their staff psychologist (to make sure I was mentally fit for this challenge), dietitian (numerous times), group meetings, solo meetings, it was intense for a while. I missed soda for a long time, but it's getting better. The longer I stay away from fast food, bread (I was a bread freak), alcohol, etc... I miss it less and less. 

I did meet some people in the group meetings and support groups that I felt were in no place mentally for this surgery. I don't know if the doctors ended up delaying their surgery or what, but they reminded me of some of the folk we meet on this show. Unwilling to change, follow the directions, trying to find ways to "cheat" the surgery - and then getting upset that they're not losing or they're gaining back the weight. 

One lady in my group got her surgery (gastric bypass), and on the way home from the hospital stopped at McDonalds for a Big Mac meal. She tore open her new stomach and ended up spending four months in the hospital to recover.

All that to say, this is a surgery not to be taken lightly. It's not the magic spell many think it is, and it's a life changing thing: if you let it. If you just end up cheating, not listening to directions, etc... you're just hurting yourself in the end and wasting time.

The booze.  Plus the pain pills.  The hidden addictions we don't see but is probably there for most of these people.   Though sometimes in the earlier shows it was hinted.  

Congratulations for making every attempt to get your life in order.  Keep it up and I wish you well!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Hana Chan said:

Endocrine disorders can affect weight (something I am personally familiar with). But it doesn't do it on its own. When my endocrinologist advised that my weight gains were due to "heavy fork syndrome", he was making it very clear that I could not totally blame my imbalance for my gain. That was very hard to hear (and took me years to accept), as I'd been hoping that getting my hormones straightened out would get rid of the extra weight. No such luck.

There is also a huge difference between physical hunger (when your stomach is completely empty and grumbling) and the kind of mental hunger that seems to drive so many of us. We eat for so many reasons and actual hunger probably isn't related to our body actually needing food. We eat for pleasure, for stress relief, to relieve boredom, for comfort... people who overeat to the point where they weigh 600 pounds aren't eating that much because they're physically hungry. Cynthia wasn't eating two pizzas at one sitting because she was physically hungry and it would take that much to satiate her hunger. She mentally wanted to eat and classified that drive to eat as "hunger" when more than likely it wasn't her body driving that response. And with her being as sedentary as she was, anything she ate would go right into fat. It just becomes a vicious cycle.

I enjoy reading your posts.  You clearly are dealing with real issues.  I have had "weight issues" since childhood caused by a horrid mother who controlled every single ounce I ate ..................  Yet she blamed me for looking fat.  Yeah, was a hefty girl because of what she fed me.  Anyway ...................... 50 years later, I was diagnosed with an actual real thyroid problem and I just laughed, and said my extra 50-70 pounds  were not caused  by thyroid hormones/nor my complete hysterectomy at 42 (which included two grapefruit sized ovarian cysts, being removed) but just a life long issue with a bitch mother.  He laughed and said I could subtract 15 pounds off my weight because I have heavy breasts and go ahead and stay active and just live life to its fullest.  I have.  And I'm ok with where I will be the rest of my life.  Probably weighing between 180 and 200 lbs but able to walk and snow blow the driveway and mow the lawn to my heart's content.

As for Cynthia, she has to use her smarts and get grip.  She has those precious kids.  Put them before your pouty faced attitude.  Raise them without being a burden.   Stop being a lazy ass bitch laying in bed where your children have to beg you to take them to the park.  Start being a real mom to your daughter.  

• Love 8

Did I hear Cynthia say that her oldest was getting ready to move out? I think the oldest is 16! WTH?

also, there are assistive devices like sponges on long handles, to help a person reach difficult areas when showering. Do we ever see any of these folks use such things to reach here and there? 

it seemed weird to me that Cynthia could get herself to work, but not into the kitchen. 

I also noticed her pretty clothing and gorgeous jewelry. 

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 5

I'm surpised I forgot to mention this. Did anyone get a look at all the laundry dtergent bottles, bags and containers Cynthia had??? I sometimes buy more detergent looong before it's tim, but that was in sane. I thought Cyn could star in "My 600 lb Life" "Hoarders" AND an extreme buying show----don't watch any of the couponing shows but I've seen previews.  I think Ms Cynthia has other addictions!

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

also, there are assistive devices like sponges on long handles, to help a person reach difficult areas when showering. Do we ever see any of these folks use such things to reach here and there?

There have been some on these shows using those devices.  The ones who can walk and don't have caretakers have been shown using them.  The thing that gets me is that most of them have very small bathrooms.  They seem to take up the whole room.  I don't see how the toilet will hold their weight.  As a matter of fact, I do remember one lady breaking a toilet and having to have emergency crews get her off of it and out of the bathroom.  I think her name was Lupe and it was a public bathroom.  I think that was the most cringeworthy episode I've seen.

Wasn't Cynthia using one of those devices when she was in the shower before she called her daughter to wash the folds behind her knees?  I think she was.  Even that wasn't long enough for her to clean behind herself.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, raiderred1 said:

I'm surpised I forgot to mention this. Did anyone get a look at all the laundry dtergent bottles, bags and containers Cynthia had??? I sometimes buy more detergent looong before it's tim, but that was in sane. I thought Cyn could star in "My 600 lb Life" "Hoarders" AND an extreme buying show----don't watch any of the couponing shows but I've seen previews.  I think Ms Cynthia has other addictions!

I saw the extra bottles too. I wondered if she worried about grocery shopping, either about actually doing it or people watching her shop? or knows that having clean clothes is necessary for her job and her kids (does social services do checks on her adopted kids or does that end after so a certain period of time). I'll admit after seeing my cousin have a small stock pile of non perishable supplies like laundry soap, toilet paper and tissues, I try and keep a full pantry. It is never fun running out at night to get toilet paper and I can't imagine someone like Cynthia would be able to do that.

I have a good friend that has gained over 125lbs since becoming a special education teacher. She was always overweight but when she went into special education, there was so much sitting and doing paperwork, eating lunch with the kids in which my friend could get extras of the school lunch for free, and then lots of sitting while teaching. Unlike when she taught in a regular classroom, the special education class forces her to show videos, sit and read the kids books and there is very little if any outside or PE time. Plus she still has piles of paperwork to do at home. At least where we live it is the lowest paid teaching job, plus no insurance since they stop paying her at 32 hours even if she is doing paperwork that is required. My friend took the job because no one else would do it and thought it would be temporary.  Did Cynthia say why she choose special education? It seemed like she wanted to be needed by others except a significant other?

I went back and forth on this episode. There was something a bit more real? and less staged ? I think maybe it was filmed or edited differently because it was mostly done out of Houston? Her scenes with her kids seem real and made her likable but then she was cheating on the diet and it is both sad and angering to watch.

Has anyone found her on social media to see if anymore progress has happened?

• Love 2

Rewatching Cynthia cussing out her brother after she was turned down for surgery for gaining 4 lbs and I just want to reach through the TV screen and bitchslap her!  I wonder how many times she's lashed out at her brother growing up whenever she was frustrated, but more important, how many times has she lashed out at her kids?  She definitely has a potty mouth.  I wonder if she's ever cussed in front of her students.  She's a mean piece of work when she's mad.

!!!FREE UKIAH!!!

Edited by swankie
  • Love 13
23 minutes ago, swankie said:

Rewatching Cynthia cussing out her brother after she was turned down for surgery for gaining 4 lbs and I just want to reach through the TV screen and bitchslap her!  I wonder how many times she's lashed out at her brother growing up whenever she was frustrated, but more important, how many times has she lashed out at her kids?  She definitely has a potty mouth.  I wonder if she's ever cussed in front of her students.  She's a mean piece of work when she's mad.

It will definitely come out with her kids.  

It really angered me that Cynthia would knowingly deny her two children the chance to have a father present in their lives.  It's very selfish and wrong.

• Love 5

Cynthia's brother said she keeps her feelings bottled up.  You could have fooled me!  I would describe it better as a bottle that somebody has shaken and shaken until the top comes off and WHOOSH!!!  I saw no bottled feelings during this whole show.  She pretty much lets them out....constantly!

!!!FREE UKIAH!!!

Edited by swankie
  • Love 6

The math isn't working for me, or I missed something.  She said she was 28 when she got the kids and she's now 42.  That's 14 years, but the little girl is only 11?  Those were also some pretty severe salon acrylics that Ukiah was sporting towards the end of the episode.

I'm not sure that was a regular school classroom where Cynthia was working.  I didn't see the students with any textbooks or notebooks (but I could have just missed it), plus they were all scattered around at long tables and the plan for the day on the whiteboard was "Watch third Kung Fu Panda movie".  It's been a long time since I've been in school, but doesn't seem like a standard elementary school class.

The latkes people are asking about were potato cakes from Arby's.  They're not really latkes, more like formed hash brown patties that are frozen, then deep fried.  They are, however, quite tasty.  I could also mention that Cynthia could have gotten a junior roast beef and a small order of (1) potato cakes, rather than the huge, loaded Philly steak and a large order of (3) potato cakes, but I'm sure that never crossed her  mind.

Edited by Sile
  • Love 4
21 minutes ago, Sile said:

I'm not sure that was a regular school classroom where Cynthia was working.  I didn't see the students with any textbooks or notebooks (but I could have just missed it), plus they were all scattered around at long tables and the plan for the day on the whiteboard was "Watch third Kung Fu Panda movie".  It's been a long time since I've been in school, but doesn't seem like a standard elementary school class.

It was a special education class.

!!!FREE UKIAH!!!

• Love 3

Long time teacher in Oklahoma. Have taught next door to SPED (Special Ed) class for years.  Am guessing Cynthia was a resource room teacher. That means she doesn't have 25 of her own kids, but during the day students who are on IEP's  (Individualized Education Plans) will come to her class for assistance in reading or math. Compared with any general education teacher, she would be able to be more sedentary, for example she's not going to have to walk kids to lunch or PE daily and not have to deal with arrival and dismissal duties most likely. That being said, any teacher who is unable to get up and move around the room is unable to best serve his or her students.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, fonfereksglen said:

The booze.  Plus the pain pills.  The hidden addictions we don't see but is probably there for most of these people.   Though sometimes in the earlier shows it was hinted.  

Congratulations for making every attempt to get your life in order.  Keep it up and I wish you well!

Thank you Fonfereksglen! I have to say, my life at 39 was a trainwreck and now at 41 is awesome! I'm doing aquafit three times a week to try to tighten my loose skin (I'm lucky, at 5'10 my extra skin isn't too bad). You're also correct, I was a "secret drinker" (not much of a secret really) and the calories, etc... really caught up with me. Couple that with being lazy and just getting take-out, it wasn't a good scene.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, swankie said:

I don't see how the toilet will hold their weight.  As a matter of fact, I do remember one lady breaking a toilet and having to have emergency crews get her off of it and out of the bathroom.  I think her name was Lupe and it was a public bathroom.  I think that was the most cringeworthy episode I've seen.

If I remember correctly, that was the public restroom AT DR. NOW'S OFFICE.  

• Love 12
11 hours ago, swankie said:

There have been some on these shows using those devices.  The ones who can walk and don't have caretakers have been shown using them.  The thing that gets me is that most of them have very small bathrooms.  They seem to take up the whole room.  I don't see how the toilet will hold their weight.  As a matter of fact, I do remember one lady breaking a toilet and having to have emergency crews get her off of it and out of the bathroom.  I think her name was Lupe and it was a public bathroom.  I think that was the most cringeworthy episode I've seen.

Wasn't Cynthia using one of those devices when she was in the shower before she called her daughter to wash the folds behind her knees?  I think she was.  Even that wasn't long enough for her to clean behind herself.

Thanks for the info on Cynthia using a device. I have to confess I often look away during parts of the shower scenes, so I missed that. Still wasn't enough not to need help, though, huh? WOW, that is sad ?

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, Sile said:

The math isn't working for me, or I missed something.  She said she was 28 when she got the kids and she's now 42.  That's 14 years, but the little girl is only 11?  Those were also some pretty severe salon acrylics that Ukiah was sporting towards the end of the episode.

Count me in on one that was also confused with the math.  I thought maybe I just misread the age of the kids and I didn't bother to go back. Something isn't adding up, though.

Edited by raiderred1
  • Love 1

I thought the two younger kids were hers, and the three older ones were the ones she took in. But then, I wasn't paying very close attention, so I don't really know! If taking in three kids was so overwhelming, why did she have two more kids? 

Edited by ClareWalks
  • Love 5

She wanted her "own" kids, is what she said.  Since she seemed to treat all the boys the same, I'm assuming that she just wanted to experience sex and pregnancy.  Obviously the show didn't care enough about the point to give us the answers.

• Love 5

This episode made me crave Arby's.  There aren't many of these where I live. The closest one to me is about 25 minutes away without traffic.   But I think I am going to have to go soon. I normally just get the regular Arby's roast beef sandwich. But I need to try the potato cakes. Mmmmmmm. I'm getting hungry.

• Love 2

Aren't the Arby's potato cakes essentially the same hash browns that are sold at McDonald's, only larger? We rarely go there but if we do, it's the curly fries that my college age kids like. 

I was really rooting for Cynthia, and still am, but I'm kind of disappointed in her stubborn attitude toward therapy and wanting to "do it my way" , like Penny said last year. Just the idea of getting yourself to 500-600 lbs and not thinking that you have a problem with food is about the same as a person who manages to work every day but drinks enough  booze to pass out and become useless the rest of the night and wakes up hungover every day. It's very weird how much denial these folks are in. Her 11 year old daughter has to do the majority of the cooking, as well as help her mother get washed and she doesn't think it's a problem, she only loves food? I think the vast majority of people out there would realize that they can't "love" something so much that it's hurting them and the people in our lives. 

I did like her brother and how supportive he was, and her kids seemed very caring as well- she just needs to teach her sons to do household chores if they're not doing them already. 

Years ago, I had a lot of success with Weight Watchers, and we talked about everything in those meetings- from the reasons why we overate, to coping strategies we came up with (one thing that worked for me is that I previously loved Doritos, but somehow discovered drinking a glass of V-8 satisfied that craving completely) and at one point, admitting to ourselves that we all had what they called "red light" foods- if you can't take a regular portion of it and be happy, you're better off not eating it at all. For many of us, those foods were chocolate, potato chips, candy, etc. No one seemed to have a problem with anything healthy like fruits, vegetables or meats- but cheese was a problem for many, too.

• Love 3

I also have questions about Cynthia's financial status. I can't understand how her teacher's salary allows for that very expensive SUV, well appointed home, clothes, children's games and electronics and massive amounts of $$ for food.  I thought maybe she receives Federal benefits for care-taking the 3 eldest children??  However, I'm unsure whether those kids were ever eligible for SS $$ as the abusive father (and absent mother) probably never paid into the system.  Also, she didn't seem to be able to perform any significant professional duties for her students.  She, herself, is disabled.  How could she possibly be retained in her position???  Something just doesn't compute....maybe the show paid for all these things?  Is that possible???  Cynthia definitely resides in "delusion and denial"; however, she never has to face severe consequences (except for her failing health) so she has little incentive to change...

• Love 3

I didn't think Cynthia was another Penny, in that she was out & about moving around, working, & at the end, doing more cooking it seemed.  My hope is that she watches herself on TV & is remineded how much the children want this for her & continues to work the program at least for them.

I thought counseling could've taken a different turn, for the time being. She insists she isn't an emotional eater, & that she just loves food.  Maybe instead of focusing there, since there isn't anywhere to go right now anyway, the counselor could've asked her what else she could do, besides eating, so as to not focus on it so much. She could help her develop other interests etc. Maybe she needs some direction in helping her get to know herself better, & gentle steps in that direction could open up any other issues that may be buried. Just a thought.

She's got her kids to work it for, & she's got people around helping/supporting her. So I'm hoping she'll get back at it & keep losing. I'd love to see updates on her as well.

• Love 1

These are the requirements for the kids to receive SS if the parents are dead or disabled.  I don't know the specifics in the case of Cynthia's older children, but these are the government guidelines:

• Three types of Social Security benefits are available to qualifying persons under age 18. The first of these is for children of deceased workers. To qualify, the child's deceased parent must have earned at least one of the following: (a) 40 quarters of coverage throughout his or her lifetime, (b) 1 quarter of coverage for every year between age 21 and death, or (c) 6 quarters of coverage over the 13 calendar quarters prior to death.
  • The second type of benefit is for children of disabled workers. To be entitled, the child's parent must be receiving Social Security disability benefits. Program rules limit the benefit for children of a disabled parent/guardian to 50 percent of the disabled worker's PIA."

(The third type is for the minor children of retired people, which wouldn't be part of the scenario under discussion.)

I admire Cynthia's gumption for working and raising all those kids. At the beginning, the show hinted that she was depressed and going back to bed after breakfast as a usual move, but then we see her getting into her own (fancy) car, going to a good job, etc. I was stunned to find out that she was college educated. The loving family and children's good behavior were such a weird contrast with her bad attitude. Her addiction -- and that's what it is, Cynthia -- is like a third rail. She can work hard and do what she has to do, but don't suggest there's a problem with her eating! She'll bite your head off.

She attempted suicide because she thought no one could ever love her fatness, but that's just because she really enjoys food. That makes as much sense as shooting heroin socially. I'm not a crackhead, just a fan!

Cynthia could have gotten around much better with an electric scooter, and insurance would likely cover it. But then she'd be acknowledging that she has disabled herself...

• Love 9
4 hours ago, gonecrackers said:

I thought counseling could've taken a different turn, for the time being. She insists she isn't an emotional eater, & that she just loves food.  Maybe instead of focusing there, since there isn't anywhere to go right now anyway, the counselor could've asked her what else she could do, besides eating, so as to not focus on it so much. She could help her develop other interests etc. Maybe she needs some direction in helping her get to know herself better, & gentle steps in that direction could open up any other issues that may be buried. Just a thought.

Cynthia mentioned that as a teen she tried to kill herself with a handful of pills.  Anyone that depressed needs therapy.  I wonder if she got any kind of therapy after that.  She just stated that it made her sick and she didn't die, thank God.  I wonder if she ever told ANYONE about it before now.  Through her whole story I couldn't help but think how depressed she seemed all of the time.  Even when she was out with her friend and niece, she didn't seem to be enjoying herself.  Out of all of the people we've seen on these shows, she rates way up there as one of the most depressed if you ask me.  Or maybe like someone else mentioned, she just has a mean resting bitchface.

!!!FREE UKIAH!!!

Edited by swankie
  • Love 7

What bothered me the most was that she kept saying she was doing it for her kids. Now, I am a mother to 3 (2 living, 1 deceased). My kids mean everything to me. However, as a woman, I am also multi-faceted and a complex being. I have interests and relationships outside of my children (husband, friends, networking people, etc.). I think that looking at her kids as inspiration for her positive changes was a GOOD thing, but the codependency there was starting to send up signals to me. She almost snapped at her friends for insinuating that it was good for her to be out to dinner with them instead of sitting at home. What is she going to do when her kids have all moved out of the home? When they have lives of their own? How will she maintain any positive changes she's made when they are no longer her whole world? Will she be able to adapt to a life without them? I'll admit it, I fight for my health partly because of my kids and because I want to remain here on earth with them. However, I also do it for ME. She needs to start doing things for herself as well. I believe there are some self-esteem issues there and she's deflecting by focusing on her children. That is something that could be brought up in therapy. 

On 1/19/2017 at 4:04 PM, LeeAnn said:

For a lot of us on here that watch MBFFL, we feel that the title is on the sarcastic side. There is very little "fabulous" about the way they portray Whitney's life. (She does not seem to be in on that sarcasm, however.)

• Love 12