Type keyword(s) to search

S23.E06: Out for the Count

Most of the photos this week had the women's faces in shadows. Find the light, ladies. Look into the light!!!! 

Also, if last week was Gaga's closet leftovers, this week was Christina Aguilera's backup dancers from her Dirrty video.

• Love 6

Well, damn.  There goes one of my favorites.  But Krislian really wasn't getting any better, so I guess it was time.

But meanwhile, my other favorite, Paige, wins the challenge!  Go, girl!

Kyle was another one of my favorites early on, but I'm more or less over her now.  That shit with Marissa was hugely annoying and exposed how greatly needy she was.  And probably is.

Though I agree with Courtney (something I didn't think I'd say).  If Marissa doesn't want to be perceived as a villain, it'd probably be a good idea not to act like one.  Just sayin'.

Better photoshoot than last week, though.

Binta is . . . still psycho, it seems.  Tatiana is the unfortunate victim this time, and this time it's over cleanliness.

I appreciated Ashley's visit to the girls and counseling them on proper diet and exercise, but really, I miss the days when the girls had their own personal trainer come in and exercise with them.  That was back in the first three cycles, wasn't it?

I don't think Kyle will survive one more trip to the bottom two.  Though really, I'm not sure I want her to anymore.

Edited by Michel
  • Love 3

Chanel Iman, Cody, and Binta are basically contemporaries. They're the same age. Chanel is 26. Cody is 26. Binta is 25. Cody and Binta have no business being on the show because they're too old.

I wonder if some of Binta's yelly arguments of occur because she's not as comfortable expressing herself in English. Both of my parents are from Nigeria. My mum was primarily raised in the U.S. and Canada. My dad came to the U.S. for college. In conversation, my dad is a lot like Binta. He's loud.  He overuses the curse words. He has a PhD, but conversationally he's much weaker. When he has to give presentations he does have to practice quite and bit. Binta clearly has an anger issue, but I suspect that some of her unpleasantness would be lessened if she had a better command of English. The points that she was trying to make in her last 2 arguments were actually reasonable and valid: 1. Courtney should have said thank you in their snap chat challenge because Courtney needed Binta for her message to make sense and 2. the house was disgusting and some of the girls weren't pulling their weight when cleaning.

Courtney's body was too soft in her boxing photo. There was no strength, no movement. Old ANTM would have called her out on that.

Karissa is the showmanceyest of showmances. Marissa clearly freaked out when Kyle started talking about sex. I think Marissa is only willing to go so far for attention.

• Love 8

Stop trying to make Marissa happen, show!

I liked Ashley Graham as the unofficial host this episode. She reminds me of the good parts of Tyra hosting: the mentoring and the actual modeling tips on set.

Drew can also stay, I love that he is all about the work and is completely serious. It doesn't seem like he's there for the camera time.

• Love 8

I decided to trust my anti-virus software and went over to RTV Games to grab the boot order list that I saw awhile ago. They got it right again this week, so if their picture analysis holds then next week should be 

Spoiler

Kyle.

• Love 1

I'm over Kyle. She's a weak model and is clearly on borrowed time. She may have the look that's in, but she isn't bringing it in pictures or walking.

I'm okay with Krislian getting the boot, too. I liked her, but she wasn't reading model to me, either. I think it began and ended with her hair. That makeover was basic as hell. Maybe if they gave her a pixie or some short style it would've made her look more modelesque.

Ashley Graham should've definitely been the host. 

6 hours ago, niklj said:

Drew can also stay, I love that he is all about the work and is completely serious. It doesn't seem like he's there for the camera time.

Agreed. I appreciate the no-nonsense attitude. 

• Love 5

I liked that Ashley was the panelist in the foreground this episode, after being super underwhelmed by Law last week. If this reboot gets more seasons, they really need to fire Rita, try Ashley as the host, and see if they can add a veteran model to the panel (ala Twiggy, Paulina, Janice). Beverly Johnson would be fabulous.

All of the photos looked more or less equally "meh" to me, and I was drawn to Chanel first and foremost in every single one. I wish they'd incorporated an action pose teach into either the trampoline mini-challenge or the shoot, or somewhere in between. I was mesmerized just watching the few set-ups where Chanel was fake-boxing, or fake-cheering, rather than standing stationary and looking fabulous. She seemed to innately know how to loop her motions, and when the camera would be snapping. Obviously it's because she's been doing this for about a decade and knows her shit, but it would've been nice to see them throw out one or two tips. Tyra's seasons were always very uneven in their judging too, but the criticisms tended to be specific and there would usually be one useful teachable nugget in the deluge of crazy. This panel seems only capable of vague 'not feeling it' without any concrete suggestions for how to improve.

• Love 4

Cody's picture was clearly the best - I'm not a fan of hers but she should've gotten first call out.

India's photo was better than the judges made it sound.  As far as Paige's was concerned, jumping rope is not, to my mind, something associated with cheerleading; it is, however, firmly associated with boxing, if Sugar Ray Leonard is to be believed.

I don't get the point of Chanel Iman being involved.  For most of the shots, all she was doing was standing there like a model.  Cody's and Coryanne's were among the very few where she was actually engaged with the contestants.

Binta is way too intense.  Yeah, the house needed cleaned but that was crazy.

I don't care about Kyle/Marissa, but what exactly did Courtney do wrong to set Marissa off like that?  I mean, I get that she can be annoying, but she was pretty innocuous last night in the footage we saw.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
49 minutes ago, annewithaneee said:

I liked that Ashley was the panelist in the foreground this episode, after being super underwhelmed by Law last week. If this reboot gets more seasons, they really need to fire Rita, try Ashley as the host, and see if they can add a veteran model to the panel (ala Twiggy, Paulina, Janice). Beverly Johnson would be fabulous.

Yes to all of this. I am curious why they didn't just have Ashley as the host to begin with. And OMG Beverly Johnson would be amazing!!!!! Or bring back Janice. I miss her crazy. I like having the host (or panel model in this case) go see the girls and actually teach them something or give them actual advice about the business. More of that and less fake showmance please. I can't help but think Marissa's only interest in Kyle was in how much screentime it might get her, and possibly having a cute hashtag shippy name.

• Love 6

That trampoline picture of Kyle was awful.  I don't know who she pissed off in production to make them to actually air it on national tv.

I remember when the term "supermodel" meant something more than being on the cover of SI or having celebrity parents.

Yeah, I suspect Marissa interest in Kyle is more based on the potential buzz on social media and less on any actual affection.  I think Kyle is all in though.  They may as well send her packing now because she isnt going to get any better.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I think she should just wander silently into rooms wearing a unicorn onesie every week.  Other shows, too.

That was amazing. I loved the surreal quality. Bathroom argument? Unicorn onesie in the background. Krislian existential crisis? Unicorn onesie in the background. Kale pesto cookery? Unicorn onesie in the background. Law and Order SVU murder scene? Unicorn onesie in the background. Game of Thrones battle? Unicorn onesie in the background. Young Pope being scandalous at church? Unicorn onesie in the background. Imagine the possibilities!

On a slightly more serious note, I actually really liked how India looked in her photo. If I'm remembering correctly, Chanel Iman seemed more integrated into many of the other girls' scenes. For India's, she looked like she was just standing there randomly posing while India was somewhere else doing a completely different shoot (i.e., the actual boxing one). So who actually failed at the shoot? India, or Chanel?

• Love 14
55 minutes ago, RealReality said:

That trampoline picture of Kyle was awful.  I don't know who she pissed off in production to make them to actually air it on national tv.

I remember when the term "supermodel" meant something more than being on the cover of SI or having celebrity parents.

Yeah, I suspect Marissa interest in Kyle is more based on the potential buzz on social media and less on any actual affection.  I think Kyle is all in though.  They may as well send her packing now because she isnt going to get any better.

Kyle is getting worse every week. It's why I thought she was a goner last night. I think Kyle is into Marissa, but Marissa is using her cold shark brain and making out with Kyle for attention (social media, press, what have you).

Chanel Iman has been doing this for a decade and has been very successful. However I think she, like many other older models, see how Gigi (who can't walk) and Kendall (who has an extremely forgettable face by model standards) are blowing shit up and making tons of money mostly by leveraging social media. It's insane.

• Love 4

Ugh. I could totally do without all this fake ass drama. I'm getting really over Kyle at this point. She started off cool and gives more and more of a Marjorie (C11) vibe every week. Oh, God, I just remembered that pseudo lesbian relationship with Marjorie and Analeigh. And the vajayjay shaving party in the tub. At least they haven't had one of those this season. Yet. Never did like Marissa. Or Krislian. I'm not over the moon about Courtney, and I can see how she gets on the nerves, but she's tolerable. I'm over Binta too...another one who started out cool and then fell right off the edge. I remember Chanel Iman from guesting on C13, I think it was, and she was ok. Though there was very little modeling and panel this week. I guess I don't need to rewatch to see what I missed. On that note, I wonder if that unicorn onesie belonged to Cherish and Courtney stole it from her..................

• Love 2

Yeah, not sorry to see Krislian go (we get it, people think you're sexy, blah, blah, blah, move on...).  I'm way past over Kyle.  I like how Law mentioned model Ruby Rose and I agree with him.  No one would pay Kyle any attention if those two were standing side-by-side.

Binta needs to tone it WAY down.

• Love 7

Well, I just rewatched this and I gotta say, if Coryanne can pop the personality some, I can see her in top three. She is SO pretty. Though I looked up her mom and I feel bad, I have zero idea who she is. No visual recognition in any way. But Coryanne is stunning. I dearly hope this isn't the beginning of a long slide down for India (factoring in the promos for next week). I really like her. She has a "real girl" thing going on that I dig. I still forget Tatiana. Maybe she doesn't get a lot of airtime? I can see Paige in top three too, she was grating at the beginning but since her makeover she's sat back and let others steal that crown. Too much to hope that Marissa goes home next week....????

• Love 4

Wow, Kyle is an idiot.  Marissa was looking frequently at the camera during their sessions together. The girl is obviously looking for more screen time, nothing else. 

I find it rather hypocritical of Ashley Graham to talk about the importance of models to be able to jump on a trampoline and pose, yet she didn't demonstrate.  She also talked about the importance of showing their muscles and definition when modelling... I'm fairly certain that there are no Ashley photos where she is showing off her muscular definition.

• Love 8

From the recap:

Also, here's hoping Courtney learns not to interrupt serious conversations while wearing a unicorn onesie.

But, I want Courtney to interrupt every serious conversation while wearing a unicorn onesie because...unicorn onesie!

• Love 9
12 hours ago, Mabinogia said:

And OMG Beverly Johnson would be amazing!!!!! 

I first read that as Betsey Johnson and was like "YES!" I would totally go for that. 

Back in 1997-1999 I was a college student in Nashville, Tennessee at a university known for its music business majors and industry hookups. Everyone was really into the NY & Co. and Structure clothes. They wore all dark, solid colors. Same haircuts. And I was totally into Betsey. The closest store was in Atlanta at that time so nobody in Nashville wore her. I would visit Vegas several times a year for work, however, and always brought back clothes. The other kids at my uni made fun of me, calling out that I shopped at Goodwill or something. (I DO love me some Goodwill, but that wasn't the point.) Bunch of snobs, they were. Now there's a BJ store in Green Hills and everyone's wearing her. Oh well. I was ahead of my time. 

I have to say, I loved Kyle's picture on the trampoline. That's the best thing I've seen on this show in a long time. The kids and I re-ran that sucker back and paused it half a dozen times. It's now my wallpaper. Poor Kyle. 

Marissa seems a little off kilter, although I could see why she got uncomfortable when Kyle was so eloquently relayed her intentions to her. I mean, her grandma might be watching that stuff. It's not because of the female-on-female action, either-I've been married for 12 years and I STILL don't want my mother to hear my husband talk to me like that (much less the rest of the world). Either whisper that shit a little softer or slip her a note. 

I need that unicorn onesie. In my tiny, conservative county I'd wear the shit out of that thing to the dollar store and Save a Lot. At least it would be a step up from the ragged-edge pajama bottoms everyone else around here wears. 

3 hours ago, sourpickles said:

Though I looked up her mom and I feel bad, I have zero idea who she is. No visual recognition in any way. 

I was fairly into supermodels of the 1990s and thought I knew most of them. Actually, I thought I knew ALL of them. I don't recognize her mother, though, so I guess I didn't . 

• Love 3

Kyle.

She is a cute girl with an adorable androgynous look, but she doesn't know how to model--- as Tyra would say, it's a verb not just a noun. The girl needs to be in the mirror practicing her angles & her facial expressions because she only has two: a pout & a pout with a furrowed brow. She makes a great first impression walking into the room, but that's where it ends. Her pictures have gotten boring or downright bad & she lacks personality.

And I can't believe she let Marissa play her like that. I guess I can understand how having a beautiful young model rubbing all up on you can make one lose perspective, but really! Kyle. Girl. When you slobbed her down & her response was: 'Oh. I didn't think it was gonna be like that.' That meant she didn't really like it. Marissa's here playing up to the cameras for a storyline & Kyle done slipped up & caught some feelings. I think the tantrum Marissa had was a way of deflecting. She was having fun experimenting, kissing & cuddling. But when Kyle brought up sex, she wanted to back out & didn't know how to say it.

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, mamadrama said:

I first read that as Betsey Johnson and was like "YES!" I would totally go for that. 

Back in 1997-1999 I was a college student in Nashville, Tennessee at a university known for its music business majors and industry hookups. Everyone was really into the NY & Co. and Structure clothes. They wore all dark, solid colors. Same haircuts. And I was totally into Betsey. The closest store was in Atlanta at that time so nobody in Nashville wore her. I would visit Vegas several times a year for work, however, and always brought back clothes. The other kids at my uni made fun of me, calling out that I shopped at Goodwill or something. (I DO love me some Goodwill, but that wasn't the point.) Bunch of snobs, they were. Now there's a BJ store in Green Hills and everyone's wearing her. Oh well. I was ahead of my time. 

I have to say, I loved Kyle's picture on the trampoline. That's the best thing I've seen on this show in a long time. The kids and I re-ran that sucker back and paused it half a dozen times. It's now my wallpaper. Poor Kyle. 

Marissa seems a little off kilter, although I could see why she got uncomfortable when Kyle was so eloquently relayed her intentions to her. I mean, her grandma might be watching that stuff. It's not because of the female-on-female action, either-I've been married for 12 years and I STILL don't want my mother to hear my husband talk to me like that (much less the rest of the world). Either whisper that shit a little softer or slip her a note. 

I need that unicorn onesie. In my tiny, conservative county I'd wear the shit out of that thing to the dollar store and Save a Lot. At least it would be a step up from the ragged-edge pajama bottoms everyone else around here wears. 

I was fairly into supermodels of the 1990s and thought I knew most of them. Actually, I thought I knew ALL of them. I don't recognize her mother, though, so I guess I didn't . 

Ahh, my sister! I was at a conservative old money school in Virginia where J Crew, Lilly Pulitzer, khakis and pearls were the norm and I was stomping around in my Docs and Betsey skirts (I wish I hadn't gotten rid of them!). Ahead of our times, but able to pass on the cool to our kids! My daughter wears a pair of my 8 holes from high school even though the sole recently started to separate.

OMG Kyle's pic...then they ZOOMED in on it. I died. Now I have to search out a still to send to the kid to brighten her day. We also looped it back a few times.

You knew them. Her mother was no supermodel. They are throwing that term around way too loosely. I also don't see anyone of the current generation as a supermodel. They don't have the swagger to do that. 

• Love 4
5 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

And I can't believe she let Marissa play her like that. I guess I can understand how having a beautiful young model rubbing all up on you can make one lose perspective, but really! Kyle. Girl. When you slobbed her down & her response was: 'Oh. I didn't think it was gonna be like that.' That meant she didn't really like it. Marissa's here playing up to the cameras for a storyline & Kyle done slipped up & caught some feelings. I think the tantrum Marissa had was a way of deflecting. She was having fun experimenting, kissing & cuddling. But when Kyle brought up sex, she wanted to back out & didn't know how to say it.

This just makes me wonder if Marissa has ever actually been with a girl. I definitely agree that she was playing it up for the cameras. For once, Courtney wasn't being annoying and she just went off on her.

Paige is my new favorite.

Why isn't Ashley Graham the host?!

I LOL'd when Law said: "I'm becoming bored with you Binta."

• Love 6

For those obsessed with the unicorn onesie, you can get one on Amazon for less than $40. Knock yourselves out.

I thought it was extremely weird the way Courtney was hovering silently in the background while Kyle and Marissa were having their little disagreement. When they were upstairs, there she was, just standing there a few feet away, silently listening. When they moved downstairs, she went with them, and just sort of drifted around in the vicinity. She made no attempt to pretend like she was doing something other than listening to the two of them have an extremely personal conversation that was obviously none of her business. It was really weird. Either that was editing, and they left out the part that shows her participating in the conversation or having some sort of reason for being there, or she's just strange. I get why Marissa went off, but she's a child, and her response was that of a child. A grown woman would have said, "we're having a personal conversation, give us our privacy."

Kyle is clueless. She has no idea what Marissa is toying with her for screen time. Kyle is doomed on the modeling front as well. She behaves as though it honestly hasn't occurred to her that she's not very good at it and she needs to work to improve. She lacks the key ability to recognize when what she's doing isn't working and make adjustments. And she's way too focused on her hormones. Gawd, can you imagine if that other girl - wasn't her name Star or somesuch - from the casting episode had made it into the house?

Binta clearly has a low tolerance for frustration and disagreement. Everyone who disagrees with her is an enemy to be shouted down. She reminds me of girls I knew in school. Thinks she's a "boss," a natural leader, but can't understand why people don't fall in line and behave the way she wants them to, and it infuriates her. In reality, she's just bossy, and nobody wants to be around her. Which makes her angry, and even more bossy, which makes people pull away even more. It devolves into her fighting with everyone because she just wants to be right. Being right is more important than getting through the situation with grace, class, and maturity. I snorted out loud when she asked Ashley "I know I'm a boss. How do I make you see that?" Yes, she has confidence, but for all the wrong reasons. She's a mediocre model and could benefit from a large dose of humility.

• Love 14

The whole concept of "being a boss" is so fucking stupid. I wish it would just go away. None of these girls have a clear understanding of what that means. It doesn't mean shouting and being bitchy and making everyone do what you say or agree with you. That's just being bossy or bitchy.

I finally figured out why Krislianne exudes sex. She stands with her back extremely arched and her boobs thrust out with her head back in that Jessica Rabbit kind of way that says look at by boobs, bet you want to touch them. Not gonna miss her at all. But I do wish some of the more annoying girls who will never make it would have gone first (Marissa and Kyle!)

That one girl, is it Tatiana (for some reason I thought it was Whitney)? Pretty, black, has kind of dimples. I always forget about her until I see her and then I like her. Still loving India. Paige has really grown on me as has Cody much to my surprise. Binta's attitude has spoiled her look for me and now I don't even think she's that modelly while originally she was one of my top girls.

Courtney still bugs but OMG Marissa take it down about 1000 notches. She was just standing there. Yikes!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Mabinogia said:

The whole concept of "being a boss" is so fucking stupid. I wish it would just go away. None of these girls have a clear understanding of what that means. It doesn't mean shouting and being bitchy and making everyone do what you say or agree with you. That's just being bossy or bitchy.

So much this.  They need to rename this show "americas next big boss."  I find the entire concept ridiculous.  And i doubt any of them have a real idea about what that is. They should just be looking for americas next top model.  If she is a boss, great.  If not, okay.

You dont need to be this amazing boss bitch to have a successful career as a model or as anything else.  It just makes me think of some trendy social media nonsense.

• Love 3

Welp, I wasn't sure who Marissa was and now I'm sorry I know.  Courtney can be annoying, I get that, and she shouldn't lurk around staring at people who have tried to find a more private place (even while wearing a unicorn onesie, though I like the concept noted above).  But Kyle (I think, though the recap said it was Marissa) said that thing about bass in your voice and she said something that basically conveyed "okay, Kyle, I'll leave," and as she's leaving Marissa just starts yelling and yelling, with the name "Courtney" in it a zillion times, and at least twice she says "I never said your name."  Uh, yeah, you just did, about a zillion times.  

Also, is it because I'm old that I don't get it:  what does that "bass in your voice" comment mean?

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Jobiska said:

Welp, I wasn't sure who Marissa was and now I'm sorry I know.  Courtney can be annoying, I get that, and she shouldn't lurk around staring at people who have tried to find a more private place (even while wearing a unicorn onesie, though I like the concept noted above).  But Kyle (I think, though the recap said it was Marissa) said that thing about bass in your voice and she said something that basically conveyed "okay, Kyle, I'll leave," and as she's leaving Marissa just starts yelling and yelling, with the name "Courtney" in it a zillion times, and at least twice she says "I never said your name."  Uh, yeah, you just did, about a zillion times.  

Also, is it because I'm old that I don't get it:  what does that "bass in your voice" comment mean?

It was Marissa who made the "bass in your voice" comment. Marissa is the biracial one and Kyle is the androgynous one lol. When someone tells another person to take that bass out of their voice, it basically means to calm down. Growing up, I would mostly hear it said from grown men to younger boys who were getting too full of themselves. It's really a (street) term meant for males as their voices tend to go deeper when their angry/asserting themselves, whereas women's voices tend to go higher in the same situations.

• Love 5
Just now, Negritude said:

It was Marissa who made the "bass in your voice" comment. Marissa is the biracial one and Kyle is the androgynous one lol. When someone tells another person to take that bass out of their voice, it basically means to calm down. Growing up, I would mostly hear it said from grown men to younger boys who were getting too full of themselves. It's really a (street) term meant for males as their voices tend to go deeper when their angry/asserting themselves, whereas women's voices tend to go higher in the same situations.

Thanks, Negritude, for the explanation!  I should have looked it up and so I appreciate your kindness in explaining.

They didn't show their faces while they said it (or I was looking solely at Courtney and her weird hovering) so I didn't know whose mouth it was coming out of, and I was thrown off because whatever Courtney said in response, she definitely said "Kyle" in it, so I thought she was responding to something Kyle said, which made the rest of the argument even more confusing!  

• Love 1
2 hours ago, MaggieG said:

This just makes me wonder if Marissa has ever actually been with a girl. I definitely agree that she was playing it up for the cameras. For once, Courtney wasn't being annoying and she just went off on her.

What was crazy is the way Marissa kept telling Courtney she wasn't talking to her. But, she clearly was talking to Courtney. LOL! Poor Courtney. Everybody just keeps going off on her. 

Not sure if Marissa is playing Kyle. Maybe she is gender fluid, but is really turned off by how clumsy, needy and crass Kyle is being. I agree with an earlier poster who said Kyle wasn't exactly eloquent when she blurted out what she wanted to do Marissa. People like to be woo'd. To go straight from cute flirting to someone saying they want to lay on top of you and then screw you... on TV...  may be just a bit too much for Marissa to handle.

There's a whole lot of feelings and comfort zones to deal with in what seemed like 24 hours. Too fast Kyle. Slow the hell down. And please stop following Marissa around like a little puppy. It's not a good look on someone who keeps claiming to be "BAD ASS". 

• Love 8
12 minutes ago, Negritude said:

When someone tells another person to take that bass out of their voice, it basically means to calm down. Growing up, I would mostly hear it said from grown men to younger boys who were getting too full of themselves. It's really a (street) term meant for males as their voices tend to go deeper when their angry/asserting themselves, whereas women's voices tend to go higher in the same situations.

Right! In my family it was basically saying don't get "too big for your britches" and try to "buck up" and challenge me... because I might verbally/emotionally/possibly physically smack you down. LOL!

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, 40Love said:

To go straight from cute flirting to someone saying they want to lay on top of you and then screw you... on TV...  may be just a bit too much for Marissa to handle.

Yeah, even if Marissa was feeling Kyle I think that just turned her right off. I wouldn't be comfortable with someone I haven't known for a while who I just started getting to know "relationship" wise blurted that out I'd be pissed too. That said, damn Marissa, it's not like she actually DID IT! I think she was way out of proportion. But I have to say, girl is smart. She knows how to keep herself in the game because she's not that great a model but her showmance and her temper will get producers to keep her there as long as possible.

Courtney did come off kind of creepy though. It's a pretty big place, go stand somewhere else and let them have what masquerades as privacy in the fishbowl.

• Love 3
14 hours ago, mamadrama said:

Same. Actually, I've always had a bizarre interest in the modeling industry, and I don't recall her mom. I feel terrible because I should know.

Coryanne is really pretty though. I, too, can see her as a Finalist.

But I do wish some of the more annoying girls who will never make it would have gone first (Marissa and Kyle!)

These two can't be bounced fast enough. I don't like either one of them.

Edited by Surrealist
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, 40Love said:

Right! In my family it was basically saying don't get "too big for your britches" and try to "buck up" and challenge me... because I might verbally/emotionally/possibly physically smack you down. LOL!

Exactly lol

• Love 1

But I do wish some of the more annoying girls who will never make it would have gone first (Marissa and Kyle!)

Agree with this.  As much as Krislian bugged, she should have at least outlasted Kyle.  You can tell Marissa is working when she's on set but then she goes into her brat routine though luckily for her she at least seems to keep herself in check during the challenges and shoots.

I think there is value is having a host who will be the bad guy for all the hamsters but one, as well as a mentor of sort who will have the girls' back in any direct interaction and help them with constructive and personalised advice. There was such a mentor in the one or two seasons of Asia's NTM that I watched, and while the show had many, many flaws, the mentor and her relations with the models (especially to put back on track someone who was discouraged by critics and/or depressed by the house mood) was one of my favourite aspects. Tyra as a host interacted with the hamsters in the past, but while it was useful at times, it often felt emotionally insincere, as in Tyra is Tyra, and she will be interested in you for 5 min, but ultimately she only cares about Tyra. Could be just my perception, though, but I like that, in the current format, somehow the girls have an advocate who can defend them because of another layer that she got to see but that is not apparent at panel or during photo shoots. So I'm all for having a host AND a mentor who is actually helpful but is not THE host. I'm actually liking this judging panel quite a lot.

I watched this yesterday and it left me thinking how little personality there is in this group, despite appearances that initially might have suggested otherwise. Kyle is not edgy at all, she's awkward, both professionally (if we consider this as a potential job interview, either for modelling or for other reality TV gigs) and emotionally. And to top it all she's now being distracted so much than Marissa that her pictures, which were still relatively good, are going bad (well, goofy is not bad per se, but it is not good here).  

Marissa, on the other hand, is reality TV savvy and has shown a few times now that she will do what it takes to get camera time. Other from that, her personality is not very interesting either. I mean by that nothing distinctive, no depth, so far just the knowledge of how to be a reality TV persona.

Paige, India and Tatiana look kind and seem to be real rather than fake emotional people. I like that in them because it's sorely missing amongst the rest. I'm also starting to warm up to Cody now that she's twinless and therefore not in the middle of drama, but I was so put off by the twin's attitude (or twins? not sure if they were both obnoxious or only one of them - if only one of them, I think it's amazing and laudable that she was the one voted out first).

Binta still annoys me greatly. I found it significant that, after the good vibe in the house following their time with Ashley, she had to bring the mood down with her screamed scolding. It's interesting, because from what we saw, she was very quiet, and rather demure/shy looking while Ashley was in the house, and it was like she couldn't contain herself after being well behaved for that long. It's unfortunate, because she obviously is not herself when quiet, and has to overcompensate afterwards and is then truly awful, while I'm sure she would be much more interesting as a person and would have much less annoying outbursts if she allowed herself to stop pretending to be someone she's not when she is in public/seen or heard by the judges. She is behaving like a still immature 4 year old who acts out at home after being good all day at kindergarten.

And I do like Courtney, but she has as uninteresting a personality as the others, as far as I can see. Although, her standing there, staring, was creepy as hell, if there was no part that was edited out.

• Love 3

This season is hard to watch, because I find Kyle so cringeworthy. Not in a she's-terrible way, but in an omg-so-awkward-I-can't-watch way. Kyle is endearing to me because she's so naked about trying to find her own way, and seems so terribly sincere and needy; but she's also impossible for me to watch because of these same things. I think once she figures out who she wants to be, and gains some more confidence, she'll be a real force to be reckoned with; but at the present, she reminds me of every awkward stage I ever had, and it's too much.

• Love 8
On 1/18/2017 at 1:46 AM, mamadrama said:

A thousand likes.  It's safe to say that Lluvy has been dethroned as "Worst Pic in the History of ANTM."

• Love 2

That picture of Kyle is pretty epic. I guess laughably bad is better than just plan bad. At least it brings people joy. haha. I, too, and finding Kyle harder to watch, not because she's terrible, but because I cringe watching her waste her attentions on Marissa who admittedly is focused on winning and not interested in Kyle (beyond what liking Kyle can get her show wise I feel). It just sends me back to my awkward high school days when I was always into the guy way more than he was into me. It is hard to watch because I actually like Kyle.

• Love 3

That picture of Kyle was pretty awesome.  I have to admit, my first thought was, "good god, if that's what Kyle looks like when she smiles, no wonder she spends all her time looking miserable".

• Love 7

Kyle is such a sad sack it is miserable to watch her. Marissa is immature as hell but I don't blame her for freaking out. Imagine being in a flirtatious and exploring part of the relationship and someone came onto you too strong. The way Kyle said it was also kinda aggressive. Kyle only looks like a cool chick, she's not actually one.

Krislian has no self-awareness whatsoever. She whines that the panel thinks she too sexy but she SWEARS she's REALLY NOT. The next moment you will see her walk into judging with skin tight clothes and strutting with her chest and ass in the air. Girl, you need to watch yourself on video.

Kind of in love with India because I think her face is so gorgeous. I like looking at it. Courtney is another one of my favorites. She's the type that would complain over every little thing but I can't help but like her.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 6
On 1/19/2017 at 3:04 PM, Mabinogia said:

I, too, and finding Kyle harder to watch, not because she's terrible, but because I cringe watching her waste her attentions on Marissa who admittedly is focused on winning and not interested in Kyle (beyond what liking Kyle can get her show wise I feel). It just sends me back to my awkward high school days when I was always into the guy way more than he was into me. It is hard to watch because I actually like Kyle.

I actually don't mind Kyle and even like her. Those scenes with Marissa also made me uncomfortable. She was coming on way too strong and seemed to be misreading the few signals Marissa was sending her. (Although, for her part, if Marissa wasn't that interested in Kyle then she shouldn't have been making out with her.) I am kind of an old-fashioned girl. It's not because Kyle is gay-I don't like anyone telling me they want to screw me until they've at least taken me out on a proper date. 

• Love 4

No offense to Rita Ora, but why is she even the host of ANTM when Ashley Graham is there? I feel like Ashley has interacted with the girls in the house and on photo shoots more than Rita ever has. She reminds me a lot of what Tyra used to do when she hosted. Ashley also has a lot more credibility to me as she is an actual model.

I thought Paige's photo on the trampoline was awesome while Kyle's was just terrible. That face!

Speaking of Kyle, it was so cringe-worthy the way she was coming on to Marissa and how fixated she was on her. She also doesn't seem to be improving modeling-wise so I think she's next to be eliminated.

• Love 2

Seems like Courtney's only crime was walking into the living room when Marissa and Kyle were having a conversation, though Coryanne was also there so i guess Marissa just wanted to yell at Courtney. I felt bad for her. A couple other girls (and Courtney) were also hovering in the room upstairs when Marissa and Kyle were talking as well. I guess Marissa just doesn't like Courtney very much, which is a bit understandable as she can be a bit whiny but she didn't really do anything wrong this time imo. 

I liked how Chanel Iman was giving the models quicks tips while posing they were together. She was actually quite helpful!

• Love 2