Type keyword(s) to search

Past Seasons Discussion

On 1/28/2018 at 8:09 PM, NotQuiteAnonymous said:

Does anyone know if there's a place with all the Spanish translated? I like that they don't usually translate it. I get about 60% but not all though. The one I do want to know what was said is during the flashback episode where Berto said something to/about Schneider (in blond/frosted hair).

Berto says, "Ya no puedo con este cabrón, "roughly, "I can't with this [any number of colorful male descriptors] anymore."  

Edited by Turtle Wexler
On 26 January 2018 at 8:13 PM, tennisgurl said:

I forgot how much I liked the theme song. Its so catchy! 

But how come they've translated it to English this year? I'm sure last season it was in Spanish. I think I liked it better before.

Although, to be fair, in Spanish the show is called 'Día a día' and the song lyrics went 'Un día a la vez', so maybe they just switched it because it was confusing everybody in every language?

4 minutes ago, Lebanna said:

But how come they've translated it to English this year? I'm sure last season it was in Spanish. I think I liked it better before.

I dont think it was in Spanish, I thought it was in English, because I remember thinking "oh, its the One Day at a Time theme!" when I heard the words. But I could be remembering that wrong.

32 minutes ago, Lebanna said:

It was in English last season too.  There is the option to play the show in Spanish so if you do that then the theme song is in Spanish but if you have the audio set to English, then the theme song is in English too.

Edited by Snapdragon
  • Love 2

Snapdragon you're right, if I put it on Spanish audio they still play the same song we had on the English language version last year. I guess they're just getting more sophisticated with their options. And you guys never had the theme in Spanish I guess.

I was just weirded out because I like to sing along and it got all Spanglish on me.

Edited by Lebanna

I love this show, and I enjoyed this season a lot, but I also don't think it's nearly as good as the first season. Elena's coming out storyline in the first season was masterful, and it made the second half of the season hugely compelling.

This season felt a lot more aimless. It needed more of an overriding story arc. It was nice to see Lydia and Schneider become citizens, but that wasn't enough.

They still managed to blend comedy with drama very well, though. And they tackled issues (like racism and colorism in Latino culture) that one virtually never sees addressed on TV. I love that they had a genderqueer character who eschews gender pronouns who wasn't treated as a walking joke.

Now it's time for what will probably be an unpopular opinion - I really didn't think Max was nearly as drop-dead gorgeous as he was made out to be. A good-looking guy? Of course. But a much hotter version of Bradley Cooper? I'm not seeing it.

• Love 1

Was I the only one that was a little irked at how quickly Elena was ready to (seemingly?) make up with her father? She gives a whole monologue about how she's great and he's going to miss it and he says "I know" so he gets a hug? That ran so false to me - I actually yelled at the tv.

• Love 3
On 2/2/2018 at 10:25 AM, Blakeston said:

Now it's time for what will probably be an unpopular opinion - I really didn't think Max was nearly as drop-dead gorgeous as he was made out to be. A good-looking guy? Of course. But a much hotter version of Bradley Cooper? I'm not seeing it.

That's funny because my sister and I just spent the past few days binging the whole series, and I just said to her today that Max (Ed Quinn) is way hotter than Bradley Cooper! Different strokes, lol.

• Love 2

Loved this season almost as much as the first. 

Love Sid, Elena's girlfriend. They are great together, and so cute. They looked adorable dressed as Dr. Who and the Tardis.

I'm so glad that they didn't continue past the first episode with Alex being an insufferable teenager. Glad there was a reason for his behavior, though sad that there has to be those kinds of ignorant and /or horrible people in the world.

I loved Max, and he and Penelope were good together. It's too bad they had to break up. I can relate, as many years ago I was dating a man who wanted children (I have none and have never wanted any). We didn't get to the "in love" point because we were both 100% sure of our feelings on the subject, so no sense in continuing to see each other.

I like that they sort of resolved the stuff with Victor. I like that Dr. Berkowitz and Lydia are resuming their friendship. I LOVE that we get to see Berto, such a handsome and charming man! Easy to see why Lydia fell for him.

And speaking of Lydia, well, what else can be said about Rita Moreno? She is a national treasure!

My only complaint is no Carmen - miss that wacky goth girl!

• Love 5
On 1/28/2018 at 2:57 PM, Kostgard said:

And I agree about Justina Machado. She always knocks it out of the park. She really ought to get some Emmy recognition.

Absolutely. And Rita Moreno needs some too. She is so perfect in this show.

On 2/5/2018 at 9:33 PM, Gothish520 said:

My only complaint is no Carmen - miss that wacky goth girl!

Agreed. I wanted some mention of her, but I guess that conflicted with the Elena-is-an-outcast theme (which I wasn't too big a fan of). 

Good season overall. The depression episode was magnificent, if not that funny. 

• Love 2

I just finished the second season today. This show is so lovely. It's such a cliche, but it's amazing that a show literally has the power to make me both laugh and cry. I literally laughed out loud and bawled like a baby multiple times during the last episode. Even though I'd been spoiled and my friend had warned me to gather a case of tissues. 

Daaaaamn, Justina Machado is so good. Her last speech in Lydia's hospital room KILLED me. Buckets and buckets of tears. Give her all of the Emmys, and probably some of the Emmys in other categories too, because one is not enough! I didn't know if she could top her amazing performance in the depression episode, but this might have done it. 

I think this show might be the best fictional depiction of mother-daughter relationships that I've seen since Gilmore Girls. Machado's simple but strong "I got you" to Elena during her quinces at the end of the first season also reduced me to a sobbing mess. And her emotions at Lydia's hospital bed...just sooooo raw and real. 

I would love to see the show return, but if it doesn't, they've given us two pretty wonderful seasons that I hope people will keep watching for a long time. The family singing and dancing to "Dale Abuelita Dale!" at the citizenship ceremony was a perfect, joyous ending (hopefully just to the season, not the show) that again, had me laughing and crying all over again. 

• Love 8
On 3/23/2018 at 9:16 PM, Iseut said:

I just finished the second season today. This show is so lovely. It's such a cliche, but it's amazing that a show literally has the power to make me both laugh and cry. I literally laughed out loud and bawled like a baby multiple times during the last episode. Even though I'd been spoiled and my friend had warned me to gather a case of tissues. 

Daaaaamn, Justina Machado is so good. Her last speech in Lydia's hospital room KILLED me. Buckets and buckets of tears. Give her all of the Emmys, and probably some of the Emmys in other categories too, because one is not enough! I didn't know if she could top her amazing performance in the depression episode, but this might have done it. 

I think this show might be the best fictional depiction of mother-daughter relationships that I've seen since Gilmore Girls. Machado's simple but strong "I got you" to Elena during her quinces at the end of the first season also reduced me to a sobbing mess. And her emotions at Lydia's hospital bed...just sooooo raw and real. 

I would love to see the show return, but if it doesn't, they've given us two pretty wonderful seasons that I hope people will keep watching for a long time. The family singing and dancing to "Dale Abuelita Dale!" at the citizenship ceremony was a perfect, joyous ending (hopefully just to the season, not the show) that again, had me laughing and crying all over again. 

The season one finale was a pretty perfect episode and a great wrap-up to the first season. Lydia's alterations to Elena's dress, OMG I loved that so much! Didn't see that coming, it was so perfect. And as you said, the final scene, with Penelope's "I got you", and everyone dancing together - buckets of tears for me there! I've watched that episode three times already and I cry just as much each time - I'm tearing up now just thinking about it!

Second season overall was almost as good as the first, and the finale was also a massive tear-inducing episode for sure. I really love how the show has allowed us to see Lydia and Berto's relationship. Loved how the realism of Penelope's depression was portrayed. I love how Schneider is so accepted as a member of the family. And I love Elena and Sid's relationship. I understand what some people mean about Elena seeming to be a bit spazzy and less confident this season, but I can attribute that to her being in unfamiliar territory with regard to being in her first relationship, and one that is still controversial to some people. She's still a teenager and still figuring things out. I also think that she was portrayed sometimes as being not one of the "cool" people even in the first season. But of course, in reality she is one of the coolest, IMO, lol.

Can't wait for season 3!

• Love 2

I finally got to watch two episodes of this!  I had stayed away because lately a lot of reboots of shows have been really weird (looking at you 21 Jump Street).  But hubs and I had an unexpected time to watch tv while the kids played Fortnite.  Only finished two episodes.  This is one of the best pilots I've ever seen.  The writing was fairly tight and they didn't do that usual "new person comes into town" in order to explain the characters but it wasn't their weird clunky thing like Gilmore Girls' pilot.  The boy reminds me of Justin from Ugly Betty. 

I had to walk away during parts of the mansplaining with the male nurse and Penelope.  I've been in those positions where your great idea gets bulldozed and no one sticks up for you.  I was fuming when the male nurse then took her idea, called her hysterical and then accidentally revealed he made more.  I felt like I was punched in the gut.  As a women of color, that's something I always wonder about... did I leave money on the table? Does my boss think someone else is worth more than me (and paying him so)?

I really liked that Elena reverted from her makeover.  She has this Anne Hathaway vibe and looked amazing in the makeup the grandma used.  However, it was refreshing to see a show where the teen girl decided to go back to being "frumpy".  

And as for the skirt length, Elena must be one of the only girls who isn't hemming (or rolling her skirts).  I went to catholic school for years and especially in HS, almost all the girls did something to their skirt to make them shorter.  The default length was mid-calf.  I once accidentally mis-measured my skirt and had it hemmed to 15 inches which was basically mid-thigh.  Luckily my short legs and tights helped camouflaged it.  

• Love 3

Some Season 3 casting news:

Danny Pino will play Penelope's brother, Tito (Alberto, Jr.).

https://tvline.com/2018/07/02/danny-pino-cast-one-day-at-a-time-season-3-penelope-brother/

Gloria Estefan will play Lydia's younger sister, Mirtha.

https://tvline.com/2018/06/25/gloria-estefan-cast-one-day-at-a-time-season-3-netflix-lydia-sister/

Raul Castillo will play Mateo, a parent from the kids' school, presumably, her love interest for the season.

https://www.hypable.com/one-day-at-a-time-castillo-pino/

Edited by ShortyMac
  • Love 3

Looks like Ed Quinn's Max will be making a return appearance, and bringing along his equally hot brother in the form of Joe Manganiello - according to this image posted in Gloria Calderón Kellett's @everythingloria Twitter feed...

ODAAT Ed Quinn Joe Manganiello.jpg

• Love 2

I am so happy I didn’t see any spoilers prior cause I literally squealed and was so happy to see max, I really like him and now Penelope and I’m still holding out hope for them. Ugh that man is so hot, lol. 

I find myself crying a lot watching this. I enjoyed everything. 

• Love 3

Just blew through the whole season and loved around 95% of it. I thought the way the show handled Schneider's relapse was really well done, even if it felt a little bit compact. I wasn't necessarily a fan of Todd Grinnell's real life wife showing up to play a love interest. I don't know why, it's just that whenever shows do that, it feels like such a "haha we get it" kind of moment to me. But if that's my biggest complaint about a season of a show, I'm a happy camper.

Aside from Lydia going to Cuba, that ending felt pretty series finale-y to me. I'm hoping it's not the last season of this show because I really love it. 

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, BabyVegas said:

Just blew through the whole season and loved around 95% of it. I thought the way the show handled Schneider's relapse was really well done, even if it felt a little bit compact.

This.  I was sure Schneider would relapse as soon as he gave Lydia his chip and was dreading it but it was beautifully handled.   

I was less in love with the visualizations on Penelope's anxiety attacks but I liked how they worked back to the anxiety attacks with Elena in a later episode.

It felt to me like the 3rd episode should have been first.   It dealt with the aftermath of Lydia's stroke in a pretty direct way with the modifications she would need, which seemed like something they would have done as soon as she got home not a long time after.   

The heels and the bars in the shower made sense to me.  But no doctor would recommend a woman who has literally no problem getting around using a cane.  If they want me to think that Lydia needs a cane they should have her show some weakness on one side.    

but aside from those two little things I genuinely enjoyed this season!   I really hope it isn't the last.

• Love 3

Binged through season three and I loved how the show "went there" with both Schneider relapse and Elena's first time.  Alot of these "family" shows might have had her back out of first time sex because she wasn't ready but I really liked the way the show handled it and handled Penelope's reaction to her daughter having sex for the first time.

• Love 8

I just finished the Anxiety episode and while so much of it was great, the actresses in the therapy group are not strong. The Asian actress in particular is so weak that it pulls me out of those scenes. 

So far I think this season has been great. The first episode was clearly to pull in new viewers with all the guest stars so it didn't really fit into the ongoing storyline, but if that's what it takes to keep this amazing show on the air, it's worth it.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

I really liked the way the show handled it and handled Penelope's reaction to her daughter having sex for the first time.

Me too!  Although, I'm surprised that the tag of this episode wasn't Penelope proving that they hadn't really taken anything from the mini-bar and getting her 7 dollars back.

Agree, @Dee.  I binged the whole season yesterday and Elena is A LOT.   That girl is exhausting.  

There were many laugh out loud moments for me throughout.  I love love love Lydia, Alex and Schneider.  

Brooklyn 99 cameos in the first ep = yay!

3 hours ago, Dee said:

Way too much Elena, Leslie & Syd and not enough Alex & Lydia this season.

I agree with this article that Season 3 was actually sort of an arc for Alex:

"Watch Netflix’s One Day at a Time. Please."

Alex, in particular, benefits from the season’s structural gambit. As the character whom this woman-centric show occasionally doesn’t quite know what to do with, Alex comes into his own in season three. His tumultuous adolescence and his punishment for smoking weed lead him at first into conflict with the women in his family and then to a place where he becomes the family rock, because he’s the only one around all the time (since he’s grounded and can’t leave the house).

Regarding the scene where he comes across a wasted Schneider in the laundry room: I've been in Alex's place, on the receiving end of an angry addict trying to convince me and themselves that it's really "not that bad." Todd Grinnell and Marcel Ruiz really each nailed their respective parts in the confrontation. There's only so much they dive into about addiction during a 13-episode season, but I felt like they did a good job of building up to the inevitable relapse and showing Schneider trying to start anew. I wish they would have laid off of the reunion with Avery, given his return to sobriety, but again, I'll handwave some things given it's a Netflix comedy.

The show needed more Danny Pino. But, then again, I think TV in general needs more Danny Pino.

• Love 6
On 2/9/2019 at 1:27 AM, BabyVegas said:

I wasn't necessarily a fan of Todd Grinnell's real life wife showing up to play a love interest. I don't know why, it's just that whenever shows do that, it feels like such a "haha we get it" kind of moment to me.

Usually it is but here I didn't feel like it did.  For one, neither Todd (who I love in this show) or his wife are famous enough for me to associate the two of them together.  Another, I don't recall any nudge nudge/wink wink moments.  

2 hours ago, jmonique said:

I agree with this article that Season 3 was actually sort of an arc for Alex:

I agree.  I thought he had a lot of moments to shine.

2 hours ago, jmonique said:

There's only so much they dive into about addiction during a 13-episode season, but I felt like they did a good job of building up to the inevitable relapse and showing Schneider trying to start anew. I wish they would have laid off of the reunion with Avery, given his return to sobriety, but again, I'll handwave some things given it's a Netflix comedy.

I liked that the relapse wasn't a long drawn out affair.  (Mostly because I kind of hate addiction storylines).  I think it's more interesting to see him have to start afresh after seeing him comfortable in his sobriety and how drinking led him to stand up to his father.  BTW, I liked the casting of Alan Ruck as his dad.  I couldn't help but think he was playing Cameron Frye's dad. 

As for Avery, I too thought that would be too easy and while it was a happy moment, I do think it's going to be a fragile reunion.  But this episode also felt a bit series finale-ish to me.  I don't think they want it to be the  series finale but Netflix has gotten brutal in axing shows it doesn't make it self.  This is from an outside studio. I think that's why we saw Avery show up.

I also think it's why they had Penelope admit to herself that she might not get one great love--she might have many.  Ultimately, she was happy with who and where she is.  I found that refreshing.  Mateo's nice but she wasn't in love.  Max was terrific but they want different things and there was no magical solution to why they broke up in the first place. 

I was going to save this series to watch leisurely over the weekend but once I started, I devoured it.  I love it so much.

• Love 9

In the past week over three mini binging sessions I watched season 3, and I really hope this isn't the end.  I really want to know what happens with Lydia and Leslie in Cuba.  Honestly I'm not terribly comfortable with their relationship (everything is on the up and up, but I don't like how everyone around them is okay with how much she uses him), but there is a story there.  the two of them in Cuba would be a blast.

Elena is a lot, but I'm happy she got her dance with her dad.  She deserved that.

I never yell at the screen, but I kind of did when Schneider put the bottle on the table.  I know it's a comedy and all, but I wish if there were going to go there, that it happened an episode or two before it did.  Then they could really show us the work Schneider put into his sobriety.  As an aside, I LOVED the callback to the episode where Penny let's Schneider take Alex to the baseball game. 

I LOVE that they left it with Penny being okay with being alone.  Women aren't shown that as a truly viable option enough.  I didn't realize that the Max/Penny and having kids issue mirrors a plot line from the original series.  I had to check Wikipedia to see if in the original they gave Bonnie Franklin a happily ever after with the guy.  They did not.  I wonder if that's the plan for this show.

I honestly wonder if they will ever change the dynamic between Penny and Schneider from siblings to something more.  I worried more about that during season 1 and 2. They really pushed the familial relationship this season, and gave Schneider a love interest, so maybe they will never go there.  But unless they keep Avery around, I wonder if this will just be another example of Schneider growing up to be a good enough man for Penny... eventually.  The work she put into Victor is nothing compared to the work she would have to put into Schneider.  Not saying I want that (I'm agnostic on it), but it's hard to keep two people of opposite sex, friendly, unattached, and apart from each other on a show.  

• Love 6