Type keyword(s) to search

Joy and Austin: This One Time At Family Camp

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

If she's just learning what happened to her, that would mean she never read the police report. Speaking to the girl's lawsuit, how can she claim distress if she didn't know what happened to her until Bobye Holt testified? 

eta Joy was still a minor when the lawsuit was filed. I never thought that this was an action the girls would have taken on their own (except maybe Jessa, but she brushed it all off as "NBD"). Boob, however, is very litigious. I don't think there would have been a lawsuit without Boob's meddling.

What I meant by just learning what happened was that she's hearing the unfiltered, non-Jim Boob, non-sanitized explanation of what happened to her and her sisters for possibly the first time (no way to know for certain). The same explanation that Jess and Jill parroted on Fox News

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Except that I've never believed the girls had much if anything to do with filing that lawsuit. JB and his lawyers thought that one up. ......

There's no way in hell four young still-brainwashed Gothard women got the idea to file that lawsuit to get money. .....And Joy as the youngest and possibly the very worst educated of the four would probably have been just dragged along for the ride even if the older girls did understand. 

Do we imagine that JB would insist that, for ethics' sake, the girls had to understand the nature of the lawsuit before the lawyers could claim that it involved the girls' feelings? All JB ever cared about in the suit was the money and winning and getting back at someone who let out some facts that dim his reputation. 

If we didn't know that before, I think we saw it pretty clearly in his willingness to say in court that he doesn't even remember what he heard about the girls' molestation. That's JB -- lawsuit originator -- making clear that he never cared about their distress -- let alone about how and what they understood about the claimed distress. 

I agree with you that this this lawsuit has Jim-Boob all over it from its very inception. That his daughters are going along with it is not at all surprising as that's pretty much their entire lives in a nutshell - following Daddy's rules. 

• Love 5
10 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

Maybe it's Monday and I haven't had enough coffee yet... but what is the deal with this upcoming lawsuit from "the girls"? Please explain it to me like I am stupid (or refresh my memory).

The girls are suing multiple entities, that at one point included InTouch and various employees and departments of the sheriff's office, for releasing, poorly redacting and publishing the police report, thus making their story public.

Not sure who remains in the case at this point.

• Love 2
20 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

Maybe it's Monday and I haven't had enough coffee yet... but what is the deal with this upcoming lawsuit from "the girls"? Please explain it to me like I am stupid (or refresh my memory).

I sent you an link to an article.

Ok, hear me out…..

I think the sisters are so cult brain washed that they feel guilty that their abuse is being used to bolster the persecution of their brother.

maybe they ALL ARE supporting Josh and think he is being framed by the satanic forces of the World. 

I think she is saying that josh is suffering like Job suffered. 

even IF he is found guilty, he will be compared to Job and praised for his “enduring faith and loyalty to God.”

I don’t believe any of them will ever believe or at least admit to believing that Josh is guilty of anything  

This cult is so damaging. And f’ed up. 

• Love 2

@wait.what, I can see that.

It might be easier for them to wrap their head around that line of thinking.

Particularly when the alternative is to realize this:

That after the first incident of abuse, nothing was done by their parents to stop it until THREE YEARS LATER (and I would argue that JB and M's actions and lack thereof qualify them as abusive as they created an environment for it to happen and, more significantly, did nothing to prevent it from reoccurring)

That what happened to them was whitewashed and rug-swept

That a "confession" and "apology" by their abuser (and not even to them) was enough for the adults in the situation to brush their hands and say, "well, that's that"

That since then, their abuser's life has been allowed to go back to normal and they are expected to "keep sweet"

That even when the truth surfaced, they show support for their abuser and, following their parents' terrible example, minimize and excuse what happened

That when the AM scandal broke, showing a pattern of sexual deviance and depravity, they were put in the position of once again, defending these actions and worse, were placed once again in close proximity to their abuser

It really isn't that surprising that they continue to support Josh and that even Jill is conflicted when being the background to their eldest brother's foreground is all they've ever known. 

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

I just hope she sees JB and M’s part in it all. 

As I noted in another thread, I am hoping that Joy's eyes are beginning to open. It's rumored that Austin and Anna went at it, and that's why the Forsyths spent Thanksgiving in Texas.

• Useful 8
  • LOL 1
  • Love 13
2 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

As I noted in another thread, I am hoping that Joy's eyes are beginning to open. It's rumored that Austin and Anna went at it, and that's why the Forsyths spent Thanksgiving in Texas.

Interesting! I wonder if Jeremy regrets having allowed Josh to be a guest in his home last year?

• Useful 2
11 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

What did I miss regarding Austin and Anna? 

Yeah a lot of these rumors make it sound like Fundie Fight Club has been going down--that's a reality TV show I'd pitch to TLC, actually--but I'm thinking it's more likely things have just been tense and awkward more than an actual fight/confrontation. But who knows. I could see the relatives who accepted Josh's guilt finding Anna likely insisting on his absolute innocence pretty exasperating and it escalating from there. 

• Love 22

It would not surprise me if JB just announces he is coming for a visit and tells everyone involved when he will show up.  After all, he told the judge that he would not accept some pieces of evidence.  I really think that he thinks that he rules everyone and everything around him.  And showing up at Jeremy's is a family matter, and he is the umbrella, after all.

• Love 12
26 minutes ago, CalicoKitty said:

It would not surprise me if JB just announces he is coming for a visit and tells everyone involved when he will show up.  After all, he told the judge that he would not accept some pieces of evidence.  I really think that he thinks that he rules everyone and everything around him.  And showing up at Jeremy's is a family matter, and he is the umbrella, after all.

This is why I don't think Jeremy had a choice in the matter. Thankfully, they had their motorhome, so hopefully Smuggar didn't grease up Jeremy's sweet leather furniture too badly.

• Love 6
31 minutes ago, mythoughtis said:

I don’t think Joy and Austin spending Thanksgiving in Texas is all that unusual.  He comes from a small family where your absence at a holiday is felt.  She doesn’t.  Lots of couples decide to alternate holidays or to spend one always with one family. 

Leaving holidays out of it - I think Austin probably had a very hard time coming to terms with the behavior of Josh, and the attitude of everyone else named Duggar.   Austin was friends ( actual friends) with the middle brothers before he ‘courted’ Joy. Announcing his opinion wouldn’t just cause friction with ‘in-laws’.  It would cause loss of those friendships I’d the brothers didn’t agree with him.  
Joy questioned her religion( and maybe family ties)  in her teen years and Joe talked her into staying in Duggar beliefs. 
I hope this statement and their attending the trial gives them the determination to follow Jill out. 

Good points. I don't know how far "out" Joy and Austin would go, though. Derick's family of origin was mainstream Southern Baptist. He and his brother went to public schools and state universities. Derick dived into the IFB/Gothard/fundie world when he became JB's "prayer partner" but after a few turbulent years he moved - with Jill and the kids - back out into, IMO, the kind of life he grew up living.

OTOH Austin's family of origin is fundie, his dad and JB are (or were) tight, and they all move in those IFB/fundie circles. I can't remember if Austin's parents are also IBLP/ATI but I wouldn't be surprised if they are. I can see Austin being angry and disgusted by (a) Josh's behavior and (b) JB's dishonesty about it, on behalf of himself and Joy, and we know Joy looked unhappy in those photos outside the courthouse. I don't see this making much difference to Joy and Austin in terms of their basic beliefs and the religion they follow, but it could put distance between them and Joy's parents. Just IMO.

Edited by Jeeves
"can" does not = "can't."
  • Love 19
3 hours ago, absnow54 said:

I admire them for going to the trial everyday to hear all the facts laid out, instead of treating it like a spectacle like Jim Bob did. It was incredibly brave for Joy to attend during Bobye's testimony. I'm actually kind of shocked that they agreed with the jury though. The dynamics in this family is going to change forever after this. It would be a terrible thing to give the family another show, but THIS transition is so compelling! 

33 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

I mean honestly I would be fine with some of the Duggars showing up on 20/20 or Dateline or something like that, years later, to talk about their experiences. 

The interview and tell all I envision as being most potentially riveting at this point would be from Anna, post parental, in-law and spouse brainwashing -- fully awake and mad enough to spill nothing but facts, cold, hard facts.    

• Love 14

Joy has a story up and she looks just like Jed. I wasn’t expecting that. YMMV.

Gideon is a happy toddler, glad he’s having fun, and his speech has improved.

Maybe the last thing Joy wants to do now is build a gingerbread house. It’s good she’s making sure Gideon is doing something fun, she’s engaged.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Damn, I would love that food delivery service.

What up with Evy eating all by herself in the middle of three rooms?

There were quite a few negative comments regarding where Evie was sitting.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

What up with Evy eating all by herself in the middle of three rooms?

Sadly, it’s just on brand for someone who grew up Duggar. IIRC, Jill did the same with either Izzy or Sam. For all their family values talk the Duggars did not model proper bonding to their children. I still get upset when I see pictures of JB and Michelle, holding hands like middle schoolers, while their children follow behind. The four older girls minding the little ones. Never once do those two degenerates look back to check on their children. Joy herself was handed over to then six year old Jill by her neglectful parents. 

Edited by SMama

I went on Joy’s IG stories, and she and Austin were having a fun day with the kids: gift wrapping, Christmas movie, watching funny Christmas fail videos on YouTube, dinner at Olive Garden, a drive to look at Christmas lights, then ice cream. Looked like a really fun day and it’s nice to see them have fun after everything that’s happened (and made me sad for the Seewald kids who seem to be all religion all the time and never seem to have spontaneous fun)

But from the way they were talking, it sounded like they were possibly spending Christmas with Austin’s family, because Joy said Austin’s gifts for her were probably at his moms house. Usually they spend Thanksgiving with the Forsyths (like they did this year) and Christmas with the Duggars... will be interesting to see who makes it to the Duggar Christmas this year. 

Edited by VioletWitch
  • Useful 7
  • Love 11