Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: Bosun Blues

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

Captain Lee reprimands the crew for damaging a very expensive piece of the boat. Nico confronts Kelley over some long simmering issues. Dean Slover returns for a third charter trip but will Ben be up to the challenge of catering to Dean and his set of particulars? Kelley's managerial skills are put to the test when Dean throws an unexpected curve ball at him.

Nico and Lauren are ridiculous.I mean kelly is not the best boss, but seriously? I don't think any of the deck crew should be drinking if this is what they do

Kelly is just a disaster. I wonder what Amy thinks watching this show. 

Ben is turning into a drama queen too.

I bet captain Lee wishes Eddie was there instead of kelly

Edited by tinaw
Not kyle. His name is kelly
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, tinaw said:

Nico and Lauren are ridiculous.I mean kyle is not the best boss, but seriously? I don't think any of the deck crew should be drinking if this is what they do

Kyle is just a disaster. I wonder what Amy thinks watching this show. 

I bet captain Lee wishes Eddie was there instead of kyle

Do you mean Kelley?

• Love 1

This season has been very different and not in a good way. Since when has the crew had visitors all the time? Also, I'm finding this Ben/Emily thing decidedly awkward and not as cute as they think they are. I mean, Ben is now tagging tweets #Bemily. There's being in love and there's creating a hashtag and "ship" name for an apparent real life relationship. 

I'm also finding all the Kate scapegoating a little ridiculous. I realize she's a pain, but, more often than not, she has her shit together and expects others to as well. 

Kelley just keeps struggling to swim to the top and then knocks himself back underwater every time. 

• Love 14

I don't really think Kate is jealous of Been and Kate,  her complaints are valid.  Emily was talking and joking with Ben when Kate had just told her was going on break.  They are annoying with all the sucky face.  

And the flowers are obnoxiously huge for boat staff to keep.  We've seen the tiny rooms. 

And WTF was Ben thinking throwing that much ice in his soup? I instantly knew that was why it was bland. 

Wow,  Kelly just keeps stepping in shit.

Captain Lee was salty today,  lol.

• Love 11
1 minute ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

This season has been very different and not in a good way. Since when has the crew had visitors all the time? Also, I'm finding this Ben/Emily thing decidedly awkward and not as cute as they think they are. I mean, Ben is now tagging tweets #Bemily. There's being in love and there's creating a hashtag and "ship" name for an apparent real life relationship. 

I'm also finding all the Kate scapegoating a little ridiculous. I realize she's a pain, but, more often than not, she has her shit together and expects others to as well. 

Kelley just keeps struggling to swim to the top and then knocks himself back underwater every time. 

Notice how they all tag 51hands in their tweets...that's how they get paid, and how they track their followers.  It's the production company behind the show.

• Love 1

Does this show maybe need a wild card cast member? I'm trying to figure out why the seams are showing so much for me this season vs the previous seasons. Maybe the novelty is gone and I'm just crankier overall...but I think the show itself is getting a little more transparently contrived. I'm under no delusions that this is a documentary, but it seems like in absence of a Kat, Rocky, or Trevor, things are looking more and more set up. Especially the visits from family and significant others. It's almost like production's reviewing the dailies and saying "well damn, we don't have nearly enough here to cobble into forty-odd minutes of TV, let's have Kyle invite his ladyfriend onboard". Overall I'm happy this stretch of the season hasn't had any over the top crazies, but some of these storylines are being blown up to a tedious degree. 

Ben is sooooo full of shit. 100,000 plates and not a single one has ever been sent back? No one's ever disliked his food? He's the luckiest son of a bitch in food service if that's true; even truly gifted cooks have bad days, or more importantly, serve crazed and impossible to please people. And the way he apologized to Dean...he's really bad at dealing with criticism. There didn't seem to be any need for him to make an appearance at all, he should have been in the kitchen throwing together something to add to the soup (as the clients seemed to request), or a quick alternate course to make up for the one they'd found too bland to eat much of. I'd be annoyed if the guy cooking for me was too busy awkwardly apologizing and offer to make 'anything' to make it right, further slowing down dinner, rather than just keeping at it. 

I still really, really don't care about the showmance between Ben and Emily. The flower shit made no sense, either. Why did it become imperative to send Kelley out to fetch them a day ahead of time? It seemed impersonal and impractical to do it that way, plus it's not like those are getting any fresher as time goes on. Also it looked like a full-on funeral bouquet, not cute at all imo. 

• Love 11

Just a couple of questions:

How old are these people who think that getting s#%t-faced drunk at work is a good thing and then be obnoxious and nasty the next morning when they're called out on it?

Is Emily really that desperate that she's still with an immature blowhard, egotistical prima donna who loves to run around drunk without pants loser like Ben?

• Love 11
1 minute ago, Reiki said:

Just a couple of questions:

How old are these people who think that getting s#%t-faced drunk at work is a good thing and then be obnoxious and nasty the next morning when they're called out on it?

Is Emily really that desperate that she's still with an immature blowhard, egotistical prima donna who loves to run around drunk without pants loser like Ben?

<30 - sad that it's the new bar of adulthood.

• Love 3
10 minutes ago, druzy said:

Why did Kelley take Nico's walkie talkie from him?

Was it because he couldn't swim with it?

I've been to the Baths. The caves are awesome, but the hike back to where you get the trams is no joke. I don't feel so bad that my asthma kicked up after seeing Kelley breathing so heavy. (Yes-he was carrying about 50lbs of stuff, but still!) :)

Also, it is a good half hour or so from the dock to the baths so maybe Kelley was right to call Capt Lee since going to get the keys would have been at least an hour. 'Course, he should've checked for the keys ahead of time, mind you!

• Love 4

I so want Ben to be on Top Chef.  He would get his ass handed to him.  I would love to see Anthony Bourdain and Padama critique his dishes.  So far this year I have set my oven on fire twice and I burned tonight's meatloaf but even I know that you do not pour a mixing bowl full of ice into a pot of soup without tasting and re seasoning it.  

I feel bad for Kelly trying to manage those three drunken belligerent losers he has for a deck crew.  There is not a single one who he can rely on to do his/her job, stay sober and respect the boat.  These idiots were even disrespectful to the captain.  When Nico started yelling at Kelly, he should have gone to the captain and told him of Nico's insubordination  and request that Nico be fired.  It was a mistake for Kelly to take that abuse.   

• Love 12
6 minutes ago, movingtargetgal said:

I would love to see Anthony Bourdain and Padama critique his dishes

Anthony Bourdain would likely off himself before being on Top Chef now.

Edited by Adultosaurus
hit enter too soon
  • Love 1

I wish Kyle had left the suite when he realized that Ben, Nico, and Lauren were going to continue wilding out. He was trying to be respectful and he was the only one not complaining about being punished.

I don't know why Nico seems to be blaming Kate. Even if she hadn't called for assistance over the walkie, she still needed to make a request for a repair from engineering. The captain might have figured it out just from what the hell his engineer was working on or from a maintenance log. Lee was going to figure it eventually. And frankly, they did trash the suite. Lauren needs to stop acting like being blackout drunk is an excuse or a defense for her actions. It's not and she's an asshole.

Ben is distracting Emily. Additionally, Ben needs to get over himself. Bravo and the producers like him enough to use him to jump start the Mediterranean spinoff, but he's not untouchable. Also Emily is a good 2nd stew, but she's not the best that Kate has ever worked with. That would be Amy.

This show only works if the yacht owners aren't afraid that their yacht is going to come back so heavily damaged after being rented by Bravo. I'm sure the production company has insurance to cover the damages, but what about the lost revenue when the owner can't rent the ship because it's being repaired.

27 minutes ago, druzy said:

Why did Kelley take Nico's walkie talkie from him?

Because they were supposed to swim out to a certain point and Kelley would pick them up in the tinder. Kelley is such a shit bosun.

• Love 10
2 minutes ago, HunterHunted said:

This show only works if the yacht owners aren't afraid that their yacht is going to come back so heavily damaged after being rented by Bravo. I'm sure the production company has insurance to cover the damages, but what about the lost revenue when the owner can't rent the ship because it's being repaired.

Surely you realize the yacht owners leased the boat out to Bravo/51Hands with a really solid insurance agreement?  Otherwise there would be no show.

• Love 2

Gosh, can Kelley screw up or what?

Disliking Lauren more and more.  And Nico is just immature when it comes to anyone questioning his behavior. 

I do think Kate did a good job holding her tongue with Emily.  I like Emily but she is getting distracted by Ben.

I kind of love it when a guest sends back one of Ben's courses.  I enjoy him on the show but the guy needs an ego check.

• Love 4

I am not a fan of this new format with the unexpected drop ins and family visits. There's plenty of drama without it. I thought everyone was dumb as rocks this episode but the two highlights were 1) Sierra had about 16 seconds of screen time and 2) Kate praising Dean from the high hilltops as if he shits fairy dust. I love how she warns everyone of his impossible standards after she left a "rocket ship" penis on his bed. How humbling...and hypocritical!

• Love 4
17 minutes ago, rho said:

I am not a fan of this new format with the unexpected drop ins and family visits. There's plenty of drama without it. I thought everyone was dumb as rocks this episode but the two highlights were 1) Sierra had about 16 seconds of screen time and 2) Kate praising Dean from the high hilltops as if he shits fairy dust. I love how she warns everyone of his impossible standards after she left a "rocket ship" penis on his bed. How humbling...and hypocritical!

I don't get that it's hypocritical, she acted out when he was a dick to her but they talked and worked it out. She pointed out to her stews that he was high maintenance and just go balls out on service so that they wouldn't get criticized that isn't hypocritical to me it's learning from your mistakes and making sure your staff knows what to expect.

Also, Ben can't even manage to get a simple cheese plate on time when that was highlighted in the download meeting.

In this week of seriously Ben you are using WTF? he was using Hershey's syrup on the dessert. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 10

Hershey's syrup!! First, Aunt Jemima and now this. A basic ganache or a chocolate sauce are so easy that not even Sierra could mess it up. Wait, this is Sierra. She'd find a way to completely fuck it up.

Ben: Sierra, love, could you help me out by making the chocolate sauce for the dessert? 

Sierra: Ok.

Ben: I need you to melt these chocolates with heavy cream and sugar. Can you do that for me darling?

Sierra: Yeah.

Ben: What are you doing?!

Sierra: I'm making the chocolate sauce like you said.

Ben: But those are coffee beans, not chocolate. Start over with chocolate.

Ben: What are you doing now?!?!

Sierra: I'm making the chocolate sau....

Ben: Why are you using cream of tartar? You know, nevermind. Here is the heavy cream, the chocolate, and the sugar.

Ben: What the fuck are you doing now?!?!?!

Sierra: I'm making the...

Ben: Stop! Why...what...You decided to make a chocolate sauce with mole sauce (Herdez premixed sauce because it's Ben), crushed oreos, Bailey's Irish Cream, and Agave. I literally took the ingredients and put them in front of you. Why weren't you using them? Also why did you bring out a potato? You know what? I'll deal with this. You're free to help Kate and Emily.

Sierra (on the phone with mom): I can't do this anymore. He was just so mean.

• Love 18
6 hours ago, annewithaneee said:

It's almost like production's reviewing the dailies and saying "well damn, we don't have nearly enough here to cobble into forty-odd minutes of TV, let's have Kyle invite his ladyfriend onboard". 

...And lets recycle past pain in the ass unlikeable guests because twice wasn't already enough....

• Love 8

Do you think they really don't remember the panel coming off the wall? I mean, you could see it didn't "pop off." There was glue and wallboard peeled off. And it's totally wrong to blame Kate for "mentioning it" to the captain. Covering it up would be far worse. Plus she had no clue who was responsible.

• Love 10

This show is just MTV's Real World on water.

There's no real chain of command because this is a reality TV show staffed with thirsty immature wannabe TV celebrities. Kelley can yell all he wants, but it's meaningless if the crew is taking direction from camera people.  Captain Lee is willingly part of the charade. When he threatens to "take action" several times and then doesn't do it, he's playacting.

..And lets recycle past pain in the ass unlikeable guests because twice wasn't already enough....

What is wrong with the primary guest that he seeks out opportunities to be on this tawdry little show three times?

• Love 3
6 minutes ago, pasdetrois said:

And lets recycle past pain in the ass unlikeable guests because twice wasn't already enough....

What is wrong with the primary guest that he seeks out opportunities to be on this tawdry little show three times?

FameWhoreDom Syndrome

• Love 3

Whether Kate told the Captain or not, Lauren, Nico, and Ben deserved to be reprimanded. I felt bad for Kyle who was just sitting there trying to enjoy the room and he ended up getting punished. The boat is not their personal property.

• Love 10

I do such a back and forth on Nico. I really HATED the way he and Lauren were laughing about the damage done to the master, like it was no big deal and what a joke to reprimand everyone for it. Brats. They were acting like brats. And was Kate supposed to NOT tell Captain Lee? They needed to fix it. Should she have just let the guests find it like that?

But then I liked how Nico was stepping up and helping Ben with dinner. He was very calm and supportive. So, I don't know. I think he's likely just immature. 

I really felt for Ben with the flavorless soup. He was clearly on edge with this Dean guy, and made a simple mistake. 

But I thought the flowers for Emily were ridiculous. Where in the fresh hell did he think she was going to put those things? I know they probably have a hard time doing any shopping, so flowers are easiest. But, as a woman, I'm sooo over flowers. Maybe just a nice card and a fancy breakfast? I also thought it was hilarious how Emily TOLD him - "My birthday is in 2 days....please don't feel you have to do anything". Hahahahahaha. Okay. 

I thought Kate was pretty out of line with how she was treating Emily. Emily has shown herself to be a pretty flawless stew, has she not? I would have to rewatch, but I don't recall her chatting it up with Ben when Captain Lee made the call about service. Was she? It just seemed to me like Kate gets very focused on ONE thing (her party decorations) and expects everyone else to fill in for her. 

And why is she being all weird about Emily and Ben now? She was the one pushing them together in the beginning, wanting to hear about the dates, etc. Now she DOESN'T want to hear about it? I swear, Ben and Kate still have some unresolved issues going on. 

The key fuck up. Ugh. That's easily something I could do, but WRONG guests to slip up like that with. I'm cringing waiting for next week's reaction. 

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, trimthatfat said:

Whether Kate told the Captain or not, Lauren, Nico, and Ben deserved to be reprimanded. I felt bad for Kyle who was just sitting there trying to enjoy the room and he ended up getting punished. The boat is not their personal property.

Amen. And I liked that Kyle just sat there and took it with everyone, instead of calling them out. 

• Love 5

Kelley has made a lot of mistakes, but Capt Lee is his leader, so why isn't Lee also responsible for not directing Kelley better? The show just shows Lee ordering Kelley to 'do better', just as Nico is constantly complaining that Kelley is a bad leader, but its never shown exactly what Kelley is supposed to do to be better.  I feel like he was cast on the show to be the scapegoat and they may have Eddie waiting in the wings to show up and save the day.

Lauren and Nico continue to devolve into more and more entitled brats, and Kyle's storyline is so eyeroll inducing I don't even know where to begin.

Two times now with gross flowers. Bravo must have an unbreakable contract with the The Hideous Bouquet Company of The Islands. I feel for Kate trying to deal with this circus around her.

Edited by Kickboxer
words are important
  • Love 12
3 minutes ago, Kickboxer said:

Kelley has made a lot of mistakes, but Capt Lee is his leader, so why isn't Lee also responsible for not directing Kelley better? The show just shows Lee ordering Kelley to 'do better', just as Nico is constantly complaining that Kelley is a bad leader, but its never shown exactly what Kelley is supposed to do to be better.  I feel like he was cast on the show to be the scapegoat and they may have Eddie waiting in the wings to show up and save the day.

I agree with that.  Lee tells Kelley to be proactive, which I agreed with; but then he blames Kelley for his stupid deck crew.  He was asleep while they were acting like brats.  What else could he have done? As for Eddie, I remember him last season with Rocky, and then he acted like SHE was coming onto him.  What an ass, didn't he realize there was a camera recording them?  Eddie can stay gone.

9 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

I feel bad for Kelly trying to manage those three drunken belligerent losers he has for a deck crew.  There is not a single one who he can rely on to do his/her job, stay sober and respect the boat.  These idiots were even disrespectful to the captain.  When Nico started yelling at Kelly, he should have gone to the captain and told him of Nico's insubordination  and request that Nico be fired.  It was a mistake for Kelly to take that abuse.   

Nico needed to STFU, Kelley was right and should have told Lee, but Lee probably wouldn't have done anything about it. 

I get Ben and Emily in a way, when you come down to it, all of us are tribal, we search for our own people.

• Love 2

Almost forgot, the highlight of the episode was Snotty Dean and the cast of 300 stuck treading water for an hour because Dean wouldn't lower himself to take the taxi back. I also totally think it was a production crew member who took those keys and then restashed them in the cooler with Nico later to add drama.

• Love 4
45 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

But I thought the flowers for Emily were ridiculous. Where in the fresh hell did he think she was going to put those things? I know they probably have a hard time doing any shopping, so flowers are easiest. But, as a woman, I'm sooo over flowers. Maybe just a nice card and a fancy breakfast? I also thought it was hilarious how Emily TOLD him - "My birthday is in 2 days....please don't feel you have to do anything". Hahahahahaha. Okay. 

Yes!! Also, how shitty of him to not even go pick them up himself (and at least within the narrative of this season, having Kelley go and fetch was pretty rude given the unrequited thing he had for Emily). Maybe he figured because she's young (which, ick) it's an easy way to impress her, but seriously how lazy and cliche, especially twice in the span of a week or so. And those were so big it wasn't like she could even really enjoy them, they were just a burden to be moved throughout the boat. Breakfast, or a birthday cake, and then a special dinner or exploring whichever town they dock at next would be way better. 

• Love 5
11 hours ago, tinaw said:

He's always been a drama queen.  Last season he was punching and throwing things in the kitchen for....I don't remember why.  I do remember, at the time, thinking he was overreacting and being a jerk.

11 hours ago, VagueDisclaimer said:

I mean, Ben is now tagging tweets #Bemily. There's being in love and there's creating a hashtag and "ship" name for an apparent real life relationship. 

This must be my 'Bag on Ben' day.  He also announced on Twitter that he'd "asked" Emily to be his girlfriend.  With lots of heart emojis.  Do 35 year old men still ask girls to be their girlfriend and then announce it like that?  He acts like he's 13.  Those flowers were so over the top.  Makes me wonder what her wrist corsage would look like when he takes her to the prom.

• Love 15

A $10,000 toilet. It's difficult to care about the outcome of anyone who owns, cleans or craps in a $10,000 toilet.

Oy with Ben and his 'try spending a day in my shoes'. I do think Capt. Lee was in "gotcha" mode, but even he should know Ben can't just be told something like 'you can say goodbye to your brother'. Ben needs directions, flash cards and a study group to get a message.

I did feel for Emily when the Captain asked to speak with her. The tone of Dad's Voice when she got caught making out? Been there, Em. 

• Love 7

So yeah...Nico and Lauren are annoying as hell. Shame cause Nico is so cute. But his constant complaining is very unappealing. And Lauren's 'this is one big party' attitude....ick. I am not a Kate fan, that RBF gets me, but any of the crew taking issue with her this episode was just ridiculous. 

I was feeling bad for Kelly too. He didn't seem to be doing as badly as Captain was making it out to be, in my opinion. But then the key situation...uggghhh, that was a dumb bad move. And allowing Nico to mouth off to him...he should have fired him right then and there. It's going to come back to bite him when Nico is his boss.

I agree that those flowers were Fugly. A nice box of chocolates, or fancy bottle of bubbly or both, would have been more apropo. Next thing you know he'll be ordering up a puppy, on the boat, for their 2 week anniversary.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, pbutler111 said:

Wouldn't it be easier to avoid problems like the fucked up wall panel in the master by just making all guest rooms off limits to the crew? There's really no reason, other than service-related, they should be in those rooms.

I agree. I said it last episode. I don't care if they have no guests. Guest quarters should never be used by the staff - drunk, sober, or otherwise. 

• Love 7

It's become apparent that Capt. Lee's "role" this season is perpetually-pissed-off-dad.  Yes the crew are acting like dumb shits, but when haven't they?  He handled it much better in the past.  It has to be producer driven.

• Love 4

I assume on regular charters guest quarters aren't used by staff.  The difference here is that the show needs visual variety, and any time they can shoot in some place other than the galley, crew mess or a cramped bedroom, they grab it.  Same thing when the crew is lounging in the lounge -- just don't see that happening in real life (at least not out in the open where superior officers might spot them).  But it gives them an occasional wide open space in which to stage a scene.

Because all of this is a production company charter, as cast members they are charter guests and can take liberties.  

I still wonder how they manage to keep the real crew so invisible. Does Ben cook for them? Do they have their own hallway of cabins?

• Love 5
3 hours ago, ryebread said:

This must be my 'Bag on Ben' day.  He also announced on Twitter that he'd "asked" Emily to be his girlfriend.  With lots of heart emojis.  Do 35 year old men still ask girls to be their girlfriend and then announce it like that?  He acts like he's 13.  Those flowers were so over the top.  Makes me wonder what her wrist corsage would look like when he takes her to the prom.

Even if they do, is it usually done 5-6 months into the relationship?  Given this was filmed several months ago, present day seems like a long ass wait to DTR.