Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E11: Bosun Blues

OnceSane
  • Start Topic

thought Kate was pretty out of line with how she was treating Emily. Emily has shown herself to be a pretty flawless stew, has she not? I would have to rewatch, but I don't recall her chatting it up with Ben when Captain Lee made the call about service. Was she? It just seemed to me like Kate gets very focused on ONE thing (her party decorations) and expects everyone else to fill in for her.

Yes, she was chatting it up with Ben and it was right after Kate specifically told her that she was going on break so she was on guest service. I didn't like that Emily refuses to take responsibility for her part of it and saying it was just between Kate and Ben.

• Love 13

Did Emily not hear the radio or was just ignoring it?  Seeing the captain's temperament, I would make sure my radio was turned up all the way.  I would have been majorly pissed if I was Kate.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Yes, she was chatting it up with Ben and it was right after Kate specifically told her that she was going on break so she was on guest service. I didn't like that Emily refuses to take responsibility for her part of it and saying it was just between Kate and Ben.

Okay, thank you. I must have missed that. Too much checking my phone while watching. I can understand, then, how Kate would be frustrated. Maybe that's why she no longer wants to hear about Ben and Emily. If they're both being a bit distracted, she might wish she'd never pushed them together. 

• Love 1
33 minutes ago, howiveaddict said:

I assume the cruise customers are fake hired by Bravo.  Who actually pays the big wad of cash tips?  Or is that fake also?

Yes and no. The primary for that charter with the 12 course tasting menu wrote a blog on his website about the experience. Bravo/production company solicits charter guests and subsidizies some of the cost. The charters guests still have to pay thousands for their charter. He said that all of the money was transferred electronically, but that when they got on site the producers gave them the tip in cash (or something along those lines).

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, howiveaddict said:

So, the tip is fake then if production gives it to the charter guest to give. So if the tip is smaller than ususal, that is all production doing.  My stars! Another fake reality show. LOL

It is a bit far-fetched to think the tip amounts are real.  Imagine:

1) that type of money for a cruise that length,

2) the tip is divided equally among all levels of responsibility

3) the off camera crew does not get any of the 'tip'.

It's only reality TV if one believes it.

• Love 3
18 minutes ago, howiveaddict said:

So, the tip is fake then if production gives it to the charter guest to give. So if the tip is smaller than ususal, that is all production doing.  My stars! Another fake reality show. LOL

I interpreted that as meaning the charter primary guest pays for the tip electronically and is then given the amount as a wad of cash to then give to the crew. I wonder which one it is.

• Love 12
33 minutes ago, Kickboxer said:

I interpreted that as meaning the charter primary guest pays for the tip electronically and is then given the amount as a wad of cash to then give to the crew. I wonder which one it is.

That's how I took it as well. It just looks better on  TV to receive the tip in cash. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, pbutler111 said:

Wouldn't it be easier to avoid problems like the fucked up wall panel in the master by just making all guest rooms off limits to the crew? There's really no reason, other than service-related, they should be in those rooms.

It seems like that's a theme this season. I don't remember them hanging out in the guest rooms in previous years, except for the bubble party during Connie's season. And earlier when Trevor was still around, Kate made the executive decision to put Nico in a guest room. I don't see anything wrong with it, but if I had been in Kate's shoes I wouldn't have allowed anyone in the master. Main salon and double room, maybe, but definitely not high traffic areas. It creates more work for her. Just like Kelley lets them use the hot tub but isn't about to break the slide out on a day off for the crew.

4 hours ago, kassa said:

I still wonder how they manage to keep the real crew so invisible. Does Ben cook for them? Do they have their own hallway of cabins?

In past seasons I remember seeing more of the First Mate. This guy seems to be entirely MIA. Maybe he's nocturnal and only pops out to relieve the Capt. The engineer is easy to hide. They spend most their time in tiny crevices where it's near impossible to shove a cam op.

1 hour ago, howiveaddict said:

That's standard for all yacht charters. They add a discretionary amount when they wire the funds. Some goes to the crew's tip but most of the time it's also spending cash, especially for international guests. It's part of the luxury services the crew provides, along with the other provisioning. Saves their fancy guests from having to exchange currency. Keep in mind, most charters are longer than 2 days. When yachties spend a month hitting a dozen ports in Europe, they're going to need cash. Even in this day and age, not everyone takes cards.

• Love 2

In past seasons I remember seeing more of the First Mate. This guy seems to be entirely MIA. Maybe he's nocturnal and only pops out to relieve the Capt. The engineer is easy to hide. They spend most their time in tiny crevices where it's near impossible to shove a cam op.

We have seen Barry at least twice once when he was introduced and once when he nearly ran over the guests after he  stranded them above the reef, maybe the latter is the reason we haven't seen more of him.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, rho said:

It seems like that's a theme this season. I don't remember them hanging out in the guest rooms in previous years, except for the bubble party during Connie's season. And earlier when Trevor was still around, Kate made the executive decision to put Nico in a guest room. I don't see anything wrong with it, but if I had been in Kate's shoes I wouldn't have allowed anyone in the master. Main salon and double room, maybe, but definitely not high traffic areas. It creates more work for her. Just like Kelley lets them use the hot tub but isn't about to break the slide out on a day off for the crew.

That's standard for all yacht charters. They add a discretionary amount when they wire the funds. Some goes to the crew's tip but most of the time it's also spending cash, especially for international guests. It's part of the luxury services the crew provides, along with the other provisioning. Saves their fancy guests from having to exchange currency. Keep in mind, most charters are longer than 2 days. When yachties spend a month hitting a dozen ports in Europe, they're going to need cash. Even in this day and age, not everyone takes cards.

The big stack of money is for the show. I was in Iceland (oops, it was an seedy bar in Copenhagen, long trip), as an example of a European place, earlier this year and everyplace besides one unsavory pub took chip cards. The kinds of tourist-oriented places the crew goes to that we have been shown- def would take credit.

Edited by Kickboxer
remembered the country
7 hours ago, Kickboxer said:

It's how you have described it.

I think I feel for Kelly a bit because I think he is trying to do a good job. I do think he needs to focus on the details more and have better managerial skills, but he trying. I think that is why I cannot hate on him for his bosun skills (I can hate on him for other things though). Kelly does not think that he is better than the rest (at least with his leadership skills) like Trevor and I do not think he is half-assing it all like Leon was as the chef from last season. He is making silly mistakes and perhaps when he has more experience in this role he will be better at it. I do think he wants to do a good job and has good intentions being the bosun.

Nico bitching that Kelly told them the deck crew had to be in bed early and even Kyle, who handled the situation the best, saying that they got two punishments was a bit much. Those orders came from the captain and Kelly was just giving them the message.

The Emily not hearing Captain Lee on the radio seemed strange to me. I find it weird that she would not have her radio with her or not on. I thought in one of the shots when Sierra was in the kitchen the radio was on the counter. I did not think they were talking that loud so they would not her Captain Lee. Kate could have just came and said that the Captain was calling over the radio to get the guests drinks instead of being somewhat passive aggressive. 

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 3

Suggestion..Perhaps our Z-List Gastronomic Friend, Miss WierdBeard Dean, would like to import.. ( from Planet SillyHeaux)...Miss Rocky!?..to fix him some tantalizing Grenadine 0ysters for starters, and THEN, TA DAAHH, let WierdBeard wait another hour and a half for Semi-Raw OreoGarnished Chicken for his Special Snowflake Palate. Let's face it, it all winds up in the $10,000 square toilet in 4 to 12 hrs anyways. Calm down, Dean. Yeesh.

It was probably left over from the previous charter. Items that are opened and do not keep are shared with the crew once the trip is completed so that there is little waste. They wouldn't save caviar for the next charter if it was already opened. New provisions are stocked based on the customers preference sheets and the chef's menu planning for the trip prior to guests coming on board. Crew food is usually something easy and basic that can be done en masse, like pasta when they are on service. Judging from the shots I've seen, when they are off service and docked, it looks like they order takeout. 

Edited by Rlb8031
  • Love 2
On 11/16/2016 at 0:06 PM, Trace said:

It's become apparent that Capt. Lee's "role" this season is perpetually-pissed-off-dad.  Yes the crew are acting like dumb shits, but when haven't they?  He handled it much better in the past.  It has to be producer driven.

I don't think you can blame everything on the producers all the time.  To me, it's more likely that either (1) After watching previous seasons and finding out what goes on behind his back, Lee decided a crack-down is in order, or (2) the owner(s) of the boat weren't all that pleased when they saw some of the goings-on and told Lee to tighten it up.

• Love 3

Emily and Ben are starting to grate with their puppy love, "we've only been dating for 5 minutes but we're so in love" schtick. I don't know if Kelley's crush on Emily was fabricated for the show or what, but I thought it was really insensitive and a dick move of Ben to ask him to go pick up the flowers he ordered for a girl he knew Kelley liked. They are YOUR flowers. Go pick them up yourself. I can't understand why someone as sophisticated as Emily claims she is is Gaga over Ben. Kate had to basically hold Ben's hand for him as SHE ordered the first set of flowers then tell him to ask her out, now he needs someone else to go pick up her birthday flowers. The awkward way he asked for a kiss on the first date and the dropping of trou just makes him so... ew. How can she see all this and still want to be with him? I just do not get it at all. They're both proper English people, but that's about the only chemistry between them that I'm seeing. I still think this whole thing is put on for the show. I also agree with others about the choice of flowers being a dumb idea. Where did he expect her to put those things? 

I don't understand why Kate couldn't have just told Emily she was needed on service or to turn her radio on instead of acting like she had to be the hero and come in and save the day. Probably so she could use it against Emily later. 

Nico and Lauren were insufferable this episode. Lauren just has no respect for the boat at all, at least not the interior because it's not where she primarily does her job. 

I think Nico is cute and overall probably a sweet guy, but he's just so freaking immature. He gets riled up too easily and doesn't know how to control his anger (like how he almost got into a fight on the bus with Trevor the Hair Model). He needs to get a dictionary and look up what the word "boss" means. Yes Nico, Kelley is not the greatest bosun who ever lived. But he's still your boss and you still need to do what he tells you to do. You can't get in his face and start yelling at him like he's your equal. He hasn't asked you to do anything that goes beyond your job requirements. STFU. I'm really glad Kelley finally had the balls to put him in his place instead of continuing to take his attitude. 

Poor Kelley. I think he's really trying his best, now that Emily is no longer a distraction. I think he's truly trying to focus on the job and impress Lee but he just keeps making silly mistakes. But if Lee knew Kelley was inexperienced at the job he shouldn't have appointed him in the first place. I place part of the blame on Lee. 

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, BogoGog24 said:

I think Nico is cute and overall probably a sweet guy, but he's just so freaking immature. He gets riled up too easily and doesn't know how to control his anger (like how he almost got into a fight on the bus with Trevor the Hair Model). He needs to get a dictionary and look up what the word "boss" means. Yes Nico, Kelley is not the greatest bosun who ever lived. But he's still your boss and you still need to do what he tells you to do. You can't get in his face and start yelling at him like he's your equal. He hasn't asked you to do anything that goes beyond your job requirements. STFU. I'm really glad Kelley finally had the balls to put him in his place instead of continuing to take his attitude. 

I agree with all this but will say I appreciate how he was then able to let it all go and understand how he messed up.  That's a quality a lot of people, double his age, don't have.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ryebread said:

I agree with all this but will say I appreciate how he was then able to let it all go and understand how he messed up.  That's a quality a lot of people, double his age, don't have.

I have to rewatch but I never saw Nico take responsibility for his actual behavior or his pissy attitude he just seemed to want everyone to "get over" their behavior and be okay. Except his behavior was getting wasted messing up the master suite more than just the broken panel he and Lauren spilled a lot of booze on the couch and floor, and nearly broke a table, was insubordinate and petulant. Kelley's behavior was going asleep early on their party night and enforcing the Captains punishment. Kelley is not a great boss but Nico and Lauren are crazy awful.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 4

I also feel for Kelley. I think he's so afraid of messing up that he's psyching himself out. He's got Kyle who's a greenie. Lauren is an absolute asshole when she's drunk and oblivious about some of the more nuanced elements of yachting. Nico is an entitled jerk who loves to undermine Kelley at every turn.

• Love 4

So, I get the impression that Captain Lee either wanted more camera time or production wanted him to have more camera time.  He's a great character, but the constant grating on Kelly (who seems to be really trying, unless there's something else going on off camera that we don't know about) is dumb.  I mean Eddie was having sex in the laundry last season and Lee didn't seem to know or care until the end of the season.  Kelly has had little crushes, but seems to be motivating his team and pleasing the guests.  He's not letting his female co workers not being attracted to him get in the way of his job, so what gives with Lee?  Sure, the windows should've been cleaned, but other than that, what has been the problem?  I'm sure Lee has told other Bosuns when it's safe or appropriate to put out the water toys?  Surely someone has forgotten a  key before?

I don't think it really matters who told Lee about the panel in the bathroom.  Kate is in charge of the interior, she allowed them to have a party in there, she's therefore at least partially responsible.  They can be mad at her, but it is something that had to be fixed and the Captain needed to know about it.

Ben's flower arrangement...it's clear that Emily was hoping for some kind of gift.  But that was a lot of (smelly) flowers for a little area.  I agree with Lee that they couldn't be left in the guest area.  My guess is that Ben gave the florist $100 and this is what they sent over.  He probably specified he'd like some roses.  Their "relationship" so far seems really high school like, and it is, since they aren't likely to go further than kisses in that environment.

Kate's jealousy over the Ben/Emily thing (which she pushed), is kind of silly.  But of course we've seen Ben jealous over Kate and her girlfriend.

• Love 2

I didn't sense that Kate was jealous, more like annoyed, especially because he was distracting Emily from doing her work and then when Kate tried to reprimand her Ben stuck his nose in to defend his GF of 5 minutes when it's Kate's business to make sure her stews do their jobs. There was also the incident from the previous episode with the conch when he served it just because Emily said it was good, even though Kate was correct in not serving it and she is higher up than Emily. I'd be annoyed too. Hell I'm annoyed with Bemily just watching it on TV. Imagine living on a tiny boat with that. I'd throw myself overboard. 

You forgot to mention that Kelley banged the tinder into the boat. It's unclear if he caused any real damage but it's obviously a mistake that could have potentially caused damage to the boat. I don't think Lee expects him to not make mistakes but his issue is that he keeps making them, a lot of them, and he also doesn't have good leadership or managerial skills. His crew, perhaps with the exception of Kyle, doesn't respect him.

Edited by BogoGog24
  • Love 5

Instead of hiring someone with previous leadership experience like we've seen in the past, we get Kelley who had problems during his season of this show with being a deckhand!  He cried and whined to his sister about everything that year.  He was extremely immature.  I'm wondering if the producers wanted him to now be in charge to put some 'drama/conflict' in for us to watch.  Remember the hair model (cant remember his name) was upset because HE had more experience than Kelley.  I'm missing Eddie who despite his faults could give a pretty good order and be taken seriously. 

I also think Captain Lee got more popular with the fans so Bravo decided we needed to see more of him. To me it just looks like he's not taking care of business and lurking around minding all the kid's squabbles.  Not a great season.

• Love 2
On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 7:28 AM, trimthatfat said:

Whether Kate told the Captain or not, Lauren, Nico, and Ben deserved to be reprimanded. I felt bad for Kyle who was just sitting there trying to enjoy the room and he ended up getting punished. The boat is not their personal property.

Lauren, Nico, and Ben did need to be reprimanded for their behavior. In Lauren and Nico's case, Kate could talk to their superior officer, Kelley. In Ben's case, she needed to go to Lee.

Besides Kyle, I also feel badly for Kelley because he wasn't given a chance to discipline his deck crew before Lee brought the hammer down. I feel like Lee is holding their behavior against Kelley when he didn't have a chance get them in line in this incidence.

• Love 2

When a manager or supervisor promotes someone they are iffy on based on their previous performance and doesn't have the time or interest to develop them it's kinda on them. I'm saying this, not to defend Kelley. But because I've seen people given leadership roles based on longetivity in their previous role, desperation by management to fill a vacant position, or personal bias for that individual or against the opposite candidate (cough). I mean I get it the bird only sings if he's unhappy, Lee needs to and enjoys being the salty and wise captain on this ship of fools. I also feel like he's a bit too involved this season reminding me of mr belding and his absurd interest in zach and slaters bullshit schemes & romantic malarkey or a less sensitive non philosophical version of Mr Feeny. In all honesty those shows did it better. 

• Love 2
On 11/18/2016 at 4:22 PM, scenicbyway said:

I'm guessing Ben gave florist 100.00 and asked for roses.

No. More like 300.00. I clocked orchids, Stargazer lilies, At least 2 doz roses, delphinium, etc arranged in a vase inthe BVI, where everything is imported more expensively in the states we florists charge 80.00 for a doz . Roses arranged. So 100.00 gets ya dead daisies in that area of the world. That being said, yuh it was ugly.

Edited by Nanu160
Disobedient Thumbs
  • Love 1

I can't imagine actually wanting a huge honking thing of flowers like that.  There are jewelers on the islands, he could have gotten something cute and cheesey like this, which is a crab (he's crabby) and a heart (awe, cute!)  http://miamorluxury.com/eau-crab-pendant   or he could have gotten something more sophisticated like one of their conch pendants/charms for a bracelet if that happened after the conch kerfluffle.  

1 hour ago, Eater of Worlds said:

I can't imagine actually wanting a huge honking thing of flowers like that.  There are jewelers on the islands, he could have gotten something cute and cheesey like this, which is a crab (he's crabby) and a heart (awe, cute!)  http://miamorluxury.com/eau-crab-pendant   or he could have gotten something more sophisticated like one of their conch pendants/charms for a bracelet if that happened after the conch kerfluffle.  

You forget that Ems has not been given flowers from boys before. This is only her 2nd bouquet of flowers.

• Love 1
On 11/16/2016 at 3:09 AM, HunterHunted said:

Hershey's syrup!! First, Aunt Jemima and now this. A basic ganache or a chocolate sauce are so easy that not even Sierra could mess it up. Wait, this is Sierra. She'd find a way to completely fuck it up.

Ben: Sierra, love, could you help me out by making the chocolate sauce for the dessert? 

Sierra: Ok.

Ben: I need you to melt these chocolates with heavy cream and sugar. Can you do that for me darling?

Sierra: Yeah.

Ben: What are you doing?!

Sierra: I'm making the chocolate sauce like you said.

Ben: But those are coffee beans, not chocolate. Start over with chocolate.

Ben: What are you doing now?!?!

Sierra: I'm making the chocolate sau....

Ben: Why are you using cream of tartar? You know, nevermind. Here is the heavy cream, the chocolate, and the sugar.

Ben: What the fuck are you doing now?!?!?!

Sierra: I'm making the...

Ben: Stop! Why...what...You decided to make a chocolate sauce with mole sauce (Herdez premixed sauce because it's Ben), crushed oreos, Bailey's Irish Cream, and Agave. I literally took the ingredients and put them in front of you. Why weren't you using them? Also why did you bring out a potato? You know what? I'll deal with this. You're free to help Kate and Emily.

Sierra (on the phone with mom): I can't do this anymore. He was just so mean.

Loved this...but, my bolded part of the "conversation" between Ben and Sierra made think that this is something that Rocky would have done, and tried to convince everyone that it would be delicious!!   (Of course, she would have added grenadine, as well!)  

• Love 3
On 11/16/2016 at 9:24 AM, ryebread said:

Do 35 year old men still ask girls to be their girlfriend and then announce it like that?  He acts like he's 13.

I guess men act like they're 13 when that's the age difference.   35 going out with 22?   Love?  Connection?  Unlikely!

Just Ewwww!!!

On 11/16/2016 at 3:04 PM, howiveaddict said:

I assume the cruise customers are fake hired by Bravo.

Really!!  We've seen a Bravo cross-over already.  

But who would voluntarily accept being trash-talked on their vacation to the entire world while paying tens of thousands of dollars for a 2 day boat trip.  I don't care how spiffy the drinks are, or how marvelous the food is.    

Could this be Real World for rich people? 

• Love 1

So, the key to the skiff was in a cooler, which was transferred for another cooler at the last minute?  Totally understandable mistake!  How is that a total train wreck or a complete f__k up?  

If I were captain, I would be glad that Kelleey owned up to his mistake, called quickly, and had devised a solution that would get the guests back to the boat quickly -- that would be us *working together* to get over the little, inevitable hiccups.  Otherwise, you get people covering up their mistakes (e.g., the bathroom panel)

Remember, they had had to scramble because Dean decided he wasn't going to take the taxi back  (And I'd agree with that decision, btw.)  So, Kelleey was already working hard to please the customer and going on the fly.   Break protocol and you increase the likelihood of some problem.

That Lee had a hissy fit because he "had" to drive the skiff?  Why not send Lauren if Lee needs his nappy time?  Surely, the deck crew could squeegie the windows later.

Lee is just looking to bust someone's b--ls. 

Couldn't Kelleey have called Lauren and/or Kyle to help him fix this snafu, instead of Lee, given Lee's use accidents to infer personality flaws.

I bet Kelleey is missing his Assistant to the Bosun right about now...  At the very least, he could scapegoat him, and at the most maybe he would have helped him out.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, DenPratt said:

I guess men act like they're 13 when that's the age difference.   35 going out with 22?   Love?  Connection?  Unlikely!

Just Ewwww!!!

They ack like that always. No matter what variables. Until held accountable. Yeesh.

On 11/20/2016 at 5:53 PM, Eater of Worlds said:

That is an adorable little pendant, a much cuter option, especially since he had already done the flowers.  And not to sound ungrateful, because any effort is lovely... but the flower thing is kind of unimaginative and (to me) a relatively impersonal gesture especially when it's repeated over and over.  Way back when I had a guy deliver massive bouquets to me at work and I had to take the train home.  They'd sit on the floor next to my desk then go into the trash days later.  He was recycling used bouquets from catered events at the hotel where he worked.  He wanted to get laid badly, it never happened.

• Love 1
On ‎12‎/‎4‎/‎2016 at 8:22 AM, cloverhoney said:

That is an adorable little pendant, a much cuter option, especially since he had already done the flowers.  And not to sound ungrateful, because any effort is lovely... but the flower thing is kind of unimaginative and (to me) a relatively impersonal gesture especially when it's repeated over and over.  Way back when I had a guy deliver massive bouquets to me at work and I had to take the train home.  They'd sit on the floor next to my desk then go into the trash days later.  He was recycling used bouquets from catered events at the hotel where he worked.  He wanted to get laid badly, it never happened.

Agree with your first sentence.  LMAO at the last.

On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 7:28 AM, trimthatfat said:

These freaking boxes

Jewelry is really personal. I would never wear that pendant. If given a choice between that pendant and those flowers, I would choose a card.

I'm assuming that Nico didn't have his phone with him. Kelley couldn't call anyone else because they'd need Captain Lee's permission to take the inflatable boat to the baths to pick up the keys. Unless Kelley happened to know another yachtie who was at the baths and could let Nico know what the issue was, the only recourse, other than taking the cab back to the baths, was to call Captain Lee.

8 hours ago, HunterHunted said:

Jewelry is really personal. I would never wear that pendant. If given a choice between that pendant and those flowers, I would choose a card.

I'm assuming that Nico didn't have his phone with him. Kelley couldn't call anyone else because they'd need Captain Lee's permission to take the inflatable boat to the baths to pick up the keys. Unless Kelley happened to know another yachtie who was at the baths and could let Nico know what the issue was, the only recourse, other than taking the cab back to the baths, was to call Captain Lee.

Yeah Kelley took Nico's radio because Nico was supposed to swim out with the guests to meet the tinder. I mean it was a stupid mistake to make but mistakes happen but Kelley solution was the smartest and quickest for the guests. Though I also wonder why they don't do the drop off and pick by the tinder because an hour each way on the taxi is quite a long time if there is another recourse.