Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Monster in the Closet

• Start Topic

Pimento and Rosa decide to pick up where they left off and get married, so the whole squad preps a perfect wedding under Amy’s careful direction. Pimento enlists Jake and Gina to hunt for his grandmother’s ruby earrings for Rosa to wear in the ceremony, but the universe has other plans for them.

Which I could say I liked this episode, but I can't. Santiago was at her absolute worst, making Rosa's wedding all about her and what she wanted.  Of course Rosa would love Holt's balloon concept but Amy was oblivious because she went to her borderline delusional place. 

I never thought for one minute Rosa and asshat would be married.  Damn I hate that character, he actually makes me dislike Rosa.  I just wish they had broken up, because he is awful.  I mean do the show runners who are usually so smart, really find this character entertaining.

• Love 3

Loved Holt getting upset and popping the balloons one by one. His face was great! Of course she would have loved the arch.

Also loved the champers and peach nectar bit. Everyone gets drunk at the wedding!

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Happytobehere said:

Which I could say I liked this episode, but I can't. Santiago was at her absolute worst, making Rosa's wedding all about her and what she wanted.  Of course Rosa would love Holt's balloon concept but Amy was oblivious because she went to her borderline delusional place.

I disagree about Amy making the wedding about herself. Yeah, she was wrong about the balloon arch (so was Terry), but Rosa even said that she thought the wedding was amazing. 

I know a lot of people either like Pimento or hate him, but my opinion of him is kind of in the middle. There were times this episode that he made me laugh and other times where I thought that he was too much.

Overall, this episode was probably my second favorite of the season, after Halloween IV. I'm really glad that this show is back!

• Love 12

I was wondering if/when they were going to bring Pimento back.  Still not a huge fan of him, but I at least get a kick out of how everyone reacts to him, especially Terry and Jake.  And, of course, Gina being involved in this story just really brought the obnoxiousness out of both of them, but I did kind of like how Jake actually became the straight man of the trio, while still managing to be his normal goofy self.  Man, Andy Samberg has gotten this character nailed down.

Not surprised Pimento and Rosa called off the wedding for now.  We'll see how their "dating" life goes.  I do see them as the type of couple who will crash and burn eventually, but maybe the show will surprise me.

All the wedding planning stuff was great.  Of course, Amy would go full-blown Amy on it and I loved every minute of it.  Hitchcock and Scully actually doing great at their jobs was hilarious.  But, no surprise, it was Holt and his magnificent arch made of balloons that won the episode.  The shots of him popping them, while giving Amy the death glare was the greatest thing ever.  Followed by his "VINDICATION!" for the final tag.  Andre Braugher is the gift that keeps on giving.

Fear not, Jake and Amy!  I also have problems remembering which films are Nancy Meyers and which ones are Nora Ephron. 

I'm guessing Porsha is the Empire character that Gina was the "basis" for.

Boyle was apparently a big enough fan of Bunheads that he famously got drunk when it got canceled.  Yeah, I can see it.

Really have been missing this show these past few weeks, so I'm glad it's back!

• Love 10

For me, Adrian Pimento is the type of character that works on paper, but in reality.....just....no.  It's like I can see the writers and the actor trying their hardest to make the character wacky and edgy and OTT entertaining, but all they actually manage to do is get on my nerves.  I hope they send Pimento back deep undercover. Time given to him just takes away from characters I enjoy and want to see. 

Still, there were elements of the episode that I liked:

Amy's amazing planning skills

Jake's mutterings every time Gina and Pimento said something crazy

Everyone, especially Rosa, looking great at the wedding

And Captain Holt.  LOVED Captain Holt

5 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

But, no surprise, it was Holt and his magnificent arch made of balloons that won the episode.  The shots of him popping them, while giving Amy the death glare was the greatest thing ever.  Followed by his "VINDICATION!" for the final tag.  Andre Braugher is the gift that keeps on giving.

Exactly.

• Love 3
10 hours ago, betweenthebanter said:
11 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

I disagree about Amy making the wedding about herself. Yeah, she was wrong about the balloon arch (so was Terry), but Rosa even said that she thought the wedding was amazing. 

Even before Rosa knew she didn't want to get married, she knew she didn't want to deal with details about the wedding, and Amy and her binders were the perfect choice. Rosa unleashed the Wedding Planner Kraken and she knew it.

Holy crap, it's been a month between episodes???

• Love 6
9 hours ago, annewithaneee said:

Yay, it's back, and so is Pimento! I would do despicable things to Jason Mantzoukas so I'm biased, but I like him on the show. Best in small doses though.

I became a Mantzoukas superfan because he is so, so funny on the How Did This Get Made podcast. 

I didn't love all of this, but Holt popping those balloons made me laugh out loud. His facial expressions were the best. And I continue to appreciate that Jake and Amy are often played so over the top, yet also allowed to be good and insightful friends/people. It's part of why this is such a great show.

• Love 2

No doubt that Holt was the star of this ep. Yes, his death stare at Amy while he popped the balloons was awesome. And then, "Vin-da-ca-SHUNNNNN!" was the best ending ever.

"And... end of hug."

"So says the hair guy. Stay in your lane, bucko."

I wish I hadn't known that Pimento was going to be on the show, otherwise I would have been surprised when Boyle opened the closet."

I loved Amy and her thick binder. Loved her take-charge attitude.

Loved Rosa getting drunk. Loved when she says to Boyle, "Oh, that sounds [sustained raspberry]."

I also loved when Pimento was going to take one of Gina's jellybeans, but she told him no, and he ran away whimpering.

• Love 6

I am so excited to have the 99 back in my life. Even though I didn't really think it was a great episode...they still brought the smiles out.

Props to the writing team for not going to the predictable Jake-Amy or Boyle-Genevieve get married instead route. (Though obviously there were some anvils dropped, particularly for the latter couple.)

• Love 1

My friends think I'm nuts for feeling this way, but Pimento does very little for me. I don't find Jason Mantzoukas to be all that funny, so I really don't need to see him play yet another revolting character.

Plus, I feel like the chemistry of the B99 cast was perfect already, and having him around (especially for such a long time) just throws things off.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, KateeBar said:

I became a Mantzoukas superfan because he is so, so funny on the How Did This Get Made podcast. 

I didn't love all of this, but Holt popping those balloons made me laugh out loud. His facial expressions were the best. And I continue to appreciate that Jake and Amy are often played so over the top, yet also allowed to be good and insightful friends/people. It's part of why this is such a great show.

Same! I liked him on The League, too -- especially towards the end he was literally the only good thing about the show. If you haven't already, and you like Gilmore Girls, his guest episodes on the Gilmore Guys podcast are classics. Especially his first appearance where he talks about how he used to watch reruns in the gym and cry, and auditioned for the show later. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

12 hours ago, betweenthebanter said:

My thought was that it made Rosa happy on a couple levels. First, that she didn't have to do any of it, and second that she liked how happy it made Amy.  So while yes, Amy made the planning all about Amy, and Charles would make food all about Charles, and Holt would apparently make balloons all about him, Rosa was going to be fine and even enjoy all of them doing their things.

• Love 7

Fear not, Jake and Amy!  I also have problems remembering which films are Nancy Meyers and which ones are Nora Ephron. 

I have never heard of Nancy Meyers before, and having just looked her up on imdb.com, I can safely say I haven't missed anything.

Put me in the camp of "less is more" where Pimento is concerned. I wouldn't mind him popping up from time to time, like The Vulture, but I don't want him to be a regular character every week.

I guess we're all on the same page about the balloon popping scene, anyway. When the camera cut away to Amy and Terry, and you could still hear the "Pop. Pop. Pop." I could not stop laughing.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

Of course Rosa would love Holt's balloon concept but Amy was oblivious because she went to her borderline delusional place. 

I could not in a billion years have imagined that Rosa would be super into the idea of a balloon arch. Everything we have seen of Rosa has indicated that "whimsy" ain't really her thing.

• Love 10
3 hours ago, ClareWalks said:

I could not in a billion years have imagined that Rosa would be super into the idea of a balloon arch. Everything we have seen of Rosa has indicated that "whimsy" ain't really her thing.

Except when it comes to Nancy Meyers.

• Love 2

Yeah, Pimento can fuck off now. All that stupid shit about being tortured in an Azerbaijani prison and pawning heirlooms and whatever the hell? He's too much of a dumb cartoon, even for this show. Doesn't fit, doesn't work. And makes me really dislike Rosa in the process. Mantzoukas needs to find some range, and not just be exactly the same in everything.

A whole episode about his wedding to Rosa? Wow, really hard to care. But at least they put Gina with him for much of the episode. Keep the two worst characters in one plot, it makes the other plot much more watchable. Smort.

So at least Amy was good in this one. Her super organising skills taking over and turning her into a monster. It's fun to see Terry, and even Holt, cowering when she gets bossy. And I laughed out loud at Holt slowly bursting the balloons, one by one, while glaring at her.

Rosa drunk was fun, and Rosa pretending not to be drunk was even more fun. I just hope Mantzoukas gets a permanent gig somewhere, so he can never come back.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 4

A bad sitcom would have made the entire episode about Rosa and Whatshisname not actually wanting to get married BUT not ever talking (or listening) to each other and tons of miscommunication hijinks would ensue. I love that here that was just a blip. They realized they didn't want to get married yet, they talked, and then they didn't get married. All in, like, a minute of sitcomland time.

Even though we all knew they weren't getting married. (Also, I'm with the folks who think Whatshisname actually makes me kinda dislike Rosa. And I love Rosa.)

• Love 3
11 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I guess we're all on the same page about the balloon popping scene, anyway. When the camera cut away to Amy and Terry, and you could still hear the "Pop. Pop. Pop." I could not stop laughing.

Myself as well. I honestly do not know how they get an episode filmed I would be laughing so much as Andre Braugher. I bet their out takes are hilarious.

When the camera cut away to Amy and Terry, and you could still hear the "Pop. Pop. Pop." I could not stop laughing.

Those ill-timed off-camera pops were hilarious! As was Holt's: "Look at me. I'm so drunk, I'm alliterating like a beatnik!" 

• Love 6

I'm the opposite.  I hate Pimento, so intensely that it's even making me strongly dislike Rosa. 

I was so excited that my fave show was finally back, and had forgotten Pimento was supposed to be featured.  It was such a buzzkill to see him in that opening scene.    

My spirit was briefly lifted the first time he said he had to call off the wedding.  I thought, great now he can leave the show.   Sadly, that didn't happen.

Pimento annoys me so much that I end up not even laughing at the rest of the squad, who I normally find quite hilarious.   I actually had to watch it again later, fast-forwarding through his parts as much as possible to see if there was anything funny that I failed to appreciate due to the Pimento anti-humor factor.  I actually like Gina and Jake's friendship, so that was fun (to the extent that I could block out Pimento) and the wedding prep storyline was also pretty funny.

I still really hope he and Rosa breakup and he gets transferred, never to be seen again. 

• Love 5
9 minutes ago, zibnchy said:

I never cared much for Andre Braugher as an actor and now I LOVE him so much. His character just gets better and better.

My mind boggles at this statement! just out of curiosity what did you know him from?

• Love 4

I enjoyed last nights episode. Not one of the best but still  SO much better than 90% of the sitcoms out there. Andre Braugher continues to really make this show for me. Holt getting drunk & stating "You made me kill my balloon baby" made me laugh til I was crying. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

My mind boggles at this statement! just out of curiosity what did you know him from?

Probably not that much. There was about a decade where I didn't see much TV because I was kinda poor and TV shows weren't as easy to find online as they are today. And it could be that it wasn't AB so much as the shows he was in that  I didn't like. But I love him so much now that he makes me laugh.  I'm a sucker for funny.

22 hours ago, biakbiak said:

19 hours ago, zibnchy said:

Probably not that much. There was about a decade where I didn't see much TV because I was kinda poor and TV shows weren't as easy to find online as they are today. And it could be that it wasn't AB so much as the shows he was in that  I didn't like. But I love him so much now that he makes me laugh.  I'm a sucker for funny.

That makes a bit mores sense, but I'm still a bit surprised. For quite a few years after Homicide he didn't get a lot of work that was worthy of his talents, but he was still usually the best part of what he did like with the mostly unwatchable seasons of House and SVU or Gideon's Crossing. I don't think I realized how funny he could be until Men of A Certain Age which I didn't watch consistently. It was very well acted by him as well as Ray Romano and Scott Bakula, but simply didn't have enough going on to keep my interest. So I could see not knowing he could do funny or not liking his shows, but his talent has always been obvious to me. He was actually the reason I gave this show a try since I wasn't sure Andy Samberg could do it for me for a half hour.

Edited by wknt3
fix formatting
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, meep.meep said:

That was a damn impressive balloon arch!

I was disappointed that we didn't get to see Terry's fine hair work.

I believe we did we just didn't see him do it. Rosa's hair was done when they cancelled the wedding. it might not have been his finest work because he was probably still drunk.

• Love 1
On ‎2016‎-‎11‎-‎16 at 6:44 AM, anniebird said:

I thought Stephanie Beatriz looked awful at the beginning of this episode - I was wondering what was wrong with her face. She looked better at the wedding though.

She's looked rough all season.  Don't know what's going on there.

• Love 2
On 11/16/2016 at 0:33 PM, iMonrey said:

I have never heard of Nancy Meyers before, and having just looked her up on imdb.com, I can safely say I haven't missed anything.

She's no Nora Ephram, that's for sure.  I don't care for Pimento himself, but I do like that he's able to bring out emotions in Rosa.

Pimento, to me, is like a particularly strong European cheese. Tasty enough on the side of a bigger meal, but when its too big and on its own? Its smelly, overwhelming, and makes you feel kind of gross after eating it. When he is around too much, he just feels like he wandered in from another show that is much more cartoony than the rest of the show. The other characters are all funny, but they also seem like real characters. Pimento is just bizarre. He`s funny in small doses, but a whole episode? gets old fast. 

That being said, I still enjoyed the episode, and it still got a lot of laughs out of me. Plus, even though we only saw a little of them, Jake/Amy are still one of my favorite couples on TV. 

• Love 4
On 11/19/2016 at 7:15 PM, VMepicgrl said:

There was mention of a change in how they do her eye makeup. Not sure if that explains everything. On the opposite end, I LOVED her wedding dress. So much.

https://wornontv.net/62196/

Her hair is "did" but I was hoping that Terry's expertise would be limited to doing his own daughters' hair and she'd end up with pony tails with those big round fasteners all over.  Or corn rows.  I'm probably racist.....