Type keyword(s) to search

LIVE CHAT: Election Night 2016 (11/8/2016)

What maps are you guys following? I'm looking at the NY Times one and it seems to not update that quickly.

NYT and The Guardian are updating at pretty much the same pace (they're both still at 60-48 for Trump), which is behind the broadcast media; that's how it usually goes, with print media slower to call a state definitively.

3 minutes ago, Grommet said:

This is so difficult. I may have to dip into the Percocet.

Hugs, if you need to you need to.  You've been through a lot.  I'm debating whether I should take another bactrim tonight or not.  I want this infection over before I get on a plane on Thursday! 

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

Nope.  That seemed to be how my anxiety over this election chose to manifest this morning -- I cried at about half a dozen things.  Then I was calm for much of the day, and then I turned into a basket case as polls started closing.

Yes, it's been the same with me.  I had to leave my office a few times because I was in tears.  I won't even turn on Too Cute as I'm sure every little "uh-oh" moment on even a show as innocuous as that will make me dissolve into hysterics. 

35 minutes ago, AmandaPanda said:

I already voted for her, but I would vote for her twice if she could turn Trump into a newt.

Right?  

33 minutes ago, backgroundnoise said:

Florida is going to give us all whiplash.

I'm trying not to even look at it right now.  But, it sounds like the areas where she's likely to garner the most votes are the ones that haven't checked in yet (because the GOP in Florida tries to make voting as difficult as possible in those areas).  

24 minutes ago, Kromm said:

I'm sure its a really small % (and likely places like Austin or Dallas).

When I saw her with a lead in TX, nearly half the precincts were included.  It would be fucking amazing if she takes Texas.  I can't even put into words how awesome that would be.  

19 minutes ago, starri said:

Also, Broward hasn't reported much yet.

It's pretty much in the populated areas.

Yep.  Hillary is likely to do better in the more populated areas, which means that her wins are going to come in later (except for the gimme states like IL, NY, and CA).  

• Love 2

When I saw her with a lead in TX, nearly half the precincts were included.  It would be fucking amazing if she takes Texas.  I can't even put into words how awesome that would be.  

Yeah, I did a double take on that one, it was like 46% reporting and she had a 10% lead.

Yep.  Hillary is likely to do better in the more populated areas, which means that her wins are going to come in later (except for the gimme states like IL, NY, and CA).

Exactly, they are always the slowest counties to report because they are the most populace

3 minutes ago, deaja said:

I think I need a drink and I generally don't drink.

You're allowed a pass on an election night like this - though a pint of Ben and Jerry's (especially the chocolate cookie core or peanut butter cookie core one works quite well too). We stocked up on alcohol and foods and desserts, including the ice cream, before the election night party.

Edited by Rapunzel

The Weather Channel is playing 8 hours of soft jazz and relaxing music for the people finding this too difficult to escape to.  'Escape The Election" and it's accompanied by serene graphics and videos.

• Love 1
Just now, ClareWalks said:

It actually makes me sick that so many people have looked at ALL that Trump "has to offer" and thought to themselves, YES, I trust that man quite literally with my life, and my children's lives. FUCKING SHIT. :(

I know. One state going to Trump is unfathomable to me.

• Love 8

Scott Pelley was flabbergasted when the poll guy who is on with them said that Drumpf had a 58-39 lead in Florida amongst white college-educated women.  He did clarify that in Florida they tended to skew older so maybe they are republican or bust?  I dunno, regardless it's frustrating.

The Congressperson race in my district is so frustrating because the incumbent hates women and lied about his Planned Parenthood support and I hate him.  He has a big lead even though they won't call it yet.

Georgie Bush the younger made it known that he voted across party lines...except he didn't vote for either Drumpf or Clinton for president.  Ass.

I'm going to be heartbroken if she loses.  I wanted her back in 2008, but when Obama was the one, I got on board with him. But I HATE Trump.  He will NOT be my president.  I just cannot believe this can happen to our country.

• Love 9

I'm scared. This is the first election I've been old enough to vote it and really pay attention to. I know the night is young but fuck, this doesn't seem promising. The fact that he's getting any states is still unfathomable to me. I'm trying to stay on Animal Planet and their Too Cute marathon but CNN is too tempting 

Edited by Spacecow
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Frost said:

Me too!  They had a buy one get one half off sale but I was afraid to do it.  Consuming two entire bottles of wine tonight would not be a good idea!

That's the beauty of wine - you don't have to drink it all at one time.  The second bottle will only get better if you let it rest for...another day (or week, or even a couple of years)

Just got home and sat down, so want to say hi to all.  I have Tempranillo now (champagne for later!)

Now I will go back and read all the posts.  Yay!!

• Love 1
Just now, Apprentice79 said:

Fox news is so bizarre.  I refuse to watch that channel today, knowing tha,t The orange one, is doing well..Yuck!

I sometimes watch Fox just to see what the other side is saying.  But not today.  I think projectile vomiting would happen.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, ebk57 said:

That's the beauty of wine - you don't have to drink it all at one time.  The second bottle will only get better if you let it rest for...another day (or week, or even a couple of years)

Just got home and sat down, so want to say hi to all.  I have Tempranillo now (champagne for later!)

Welcome to the Party!

• Love 2

Special request to my Live Chat peeps:

Some of us using IE get a jumpy, stuttering page following every imported clip from Twitter, etc.  I do NOT want to discourage those clips and tweets--'cuz they're f***in' HILARIOUS!--but if you think about it, could you respond to the text instead of re-posting the tweet in your post?  (Because if that doesn't show up until the next page, then that page is hard-to-impossible to read TOO.)  Thanks so much, kiss kiss.

(It's all been reported, but the fix won't be in place for another week or so.)

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Love Tempranillo. Oh yeah, more than one bottle is going to be consumed tonight.  Waiting for husband to get home and join me.

• Love 1