Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E05: Lockup

• Start Topic

Spoiler

No,  it's not suspenseful TV when you realized that there are like 6 characters that will never get hurt, have really bad things happen to them (like getting paralyzed), and/or die on this show nothing is really suspenseful. Plus, the font that they put on the Darkhold kinds of looks cartoonish, too me. 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1
On 10/24/2016 at 9:18 AM, TVSpectator said:
  Hide contents

No,  it's not suspenseful TV when you realized that there are like 6 characters that will never get hurt, have really bad things happen to them (like getting paralyzed), and/or die on this show nothing is really suspenseful. Plus, the font that they put on the Darkhold kinds of looks cartoonish, too me. 

That's why I was kinda bummed that Fitz's head injury seemed to magically disappear. It would be nice if every once and awhile he struggled to find his words. Not that I wanted him to struggle, but to recognize the consequences of Ward's actions and Hydra's grab for power would be a novel idea.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, romantic idiot said:

If only I could be convinced that others would stick around. I think only Daisy and Coulson are safe from death and disappearance though. 

Nah, pretty much all of the main characters are safe from death/being bus on this show. Unless something happens to the actors in real life or the actor leaves the show, but it is still pretty safe to assume that nothing too bad will happen to them or they will find a way to fully heal the character (like Fitz and May) or bring them back from where ever they were sent to (like Simmons). 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1

I know this is probably unpopular, but I feel awful for Daisy. She is just drowning in grief. Too bad Andrew is gone, she really needs to talk to someone. 

Talk about a crazy contrast to another super hero show. Its interesting to see Fitz, a scientist, quarterbacking the opt when on Legends of Tomorrow, their scientist really fumbled the opt when left in charge. I don't think its a stretch for Fitz to be the eyes in the sky, when he does have some experience with opts when he was on his own searching for Simmons.

I wish Bobby and Hunter would be back instead of the nameless Agents we keep seeing. You know Bobby would have said they could have taken the prisoners instead of running.

Is there a reason why we didn't see Daisy quake? Was it because of her arms?

• Love 4
6 minutes ago, SnoGirl said:

Is there a reason why we didn't see Daisy quake? Was it because of her arms?

I think her bones are still broke and using her powers is risky.  Also, I think she wanted to take out the Watchdogs old school to prove you don't have to have powers to beat them.  

So they brought in Kerr Smith just to immediately kill him?  M'kay.

• Love 1

Good episode.  I enjoyed this one although I was hoping they'd avoid the evil new director (leader) trope.  I was wrong.

Loved the bit with all the prisoners getting back into their cells when Ghost Rider emerged.

Edited by benteen
  • Love 5

Oh, Robbie.  I get that you like to get your burning rage on, but maybe make sure Uncle Eli is safely in SHIELD's hands, before you go Vengeful Burning Skeleton on a gang boss' ass.  At least he found out that apparently the drive-by was actually a hit.  I wonder who had it out for them, before he made his deal with the devil...

Daisy's fight scene was awesome, but at this point, the show really should give up on ever pretending there is a chance she won't make it out alive.  I'm pretty sure every main character here is pretty safe, but Daisy in particular, is untouchable.  She ain't ever dying; quit fronting, show!

The Director revealing himself as Inhuman to the world was a pretty good twist.  But now this senator played by Parminder Nagra seems to have his number or, to be exact, info on him, and he might have to do her bidding.  Speaking of dirt, sounds like Simmons sure has some over him.  Hell yeah!  I love how devious Simmons can be, and how great she is at playing the political game.

Fun Fitz/Mack banter, with the whole quarterback/coach comparison.  And then Mack finding out the cure to the "clown posse" thing involves needles.  Mack hates needles!

Well, bye already, Kerr Smith!

A scary book that is written in whatever language the reader is fluent in.  That's some Harry Potter magic right there!

• Love 2

Um....did they actually waste Kerr Smith in a literal 3 minute appearance, or is he going to come back somehow? I only ask because his name is still relatively known. 

I want to feel bad for Daisy because she's clearly swimming in an ocean of grief and she can't seem to pull herself out, but I'm finding it hard to. I'm just wanting someone to smack some sense into her. Maybe because her Lone Wolf status is tiresome. How did she not know that May/Coulson would come back for her? Man, grief makes her stupid as well as suicidal. Sadly, it looks like it'll probably be at least until the midseason before she moves on from Lincoln's death. Yes, show, I think we all figured out it was about Lincoln early on. And yes, we got the symbolism for Daisy's hiding place.

I still like Robbie Reyes, even though his thirst for revenge made him temporarily dumb. So, now his uncle is somewhat kidnapped by Ghost Scientist, and now he's probably getting swayed by Evil Book. 

Director Inhuman actually reveals himself as Inhuman! And he gets blackmailed by two different women! Hilarious! I like the senator; she's going to be an interesting character. And it's nice to get a female villain here. 

• Love 2
On 10/24/2016 at 9:18 AM, TVSpectator said:
  Reveal hidden contents

. Plus, the font that they put on the Darkhold kinds of looks cartoonish, too me. 

The title on the cover?  It was in a script where it would read "Darkhold" whether you were reading it right side up or upside down.  Same concept as the script that was used at points in Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons".   I thought it was cool.

Is Ghost Rider going to be a season long thing?  I just have to wonder, why Ghost Rider?  Why not a character who was actually affiliated with SHIELD in the comics?  Why not bring back Bobbi Morse and actually give her the costume and extendable battle staves of Mockingbird?   Why not the classic Inhumans like Black Bolt or Medusa or Crystal?

And forgive my ignorance, but who is Kerr Smith? He keeps getting mentioned here like he is a big star.

Edited by blackwing
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, blackwing said:

The title on the cover?  It was in a script where it would read "Darkhold" whether you were reading it right side up or upside down.  Same concept as the script that was used at points in Dan Brown's "Angels and Demons".   I thought it was cool.

Is Ghost Rider going to be a season long thing?  I just have to wonder, why Ghost Rider?  Why not a character who was actually affiliated with SHIELD in the comics?  Why not bring back Bobbi Morse and actually give her the costume and extendable battle staves of Mockingbird?   Why not the classic Inhumans like Black Bolt or Medusa or Crystal?

And forgive my ignorance, but who is Kerr Smith? He keeps getting mentioned here like he is a big star.

Kerr Smith played Jack on Dawson's Creek.

I was half-distracted. I did laugh hard at all the prisoners scurrying back to their cells. No fight, no attempts to flee . . . nope, just go back to the cell and hope the scary flaming skull guy doesn't get you. On the downside, I don't think anybody can make Robbie's jacket work.

Wait . . . Robbie's uncle ordered the hit that led to his younger nephew getting paralyzed? Nice twist on the Spider-Man mythos.

"I am more than human. I am Inhuman. What's my power, you ask? Being a charming a-hole. Watch for my special appearance on Dancing With The Stars, George!"

ETA: "Jemma . . . it's only a lie if you believe it." "Are you bleeding kidding me?!?"

• Love 1
2 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

And then Mack finding out the cure to the "clown posse" thing

Since I am most likely the only Juggalo on these boards I had a great laugh at that line. But it made me wonder what Mack's favorite ICP songs would be. "My Axe" would be an obvious choice. "Guts on the Ceiling" might be apropos. But considering the way things have been going so far I wouldn't be surprised if it was "Fuck the World".

• Love 3

Why is it that the angry ghost lady (Lucy?) can touch somethings and not others? It was driving me crazy through the whole episode. She opened the cell block doors, but can still walk through walls? She can close the Ambulance door and sit on the bench, but can't turn the pages in the book? Can she phase shift at will?

I did like the book 'turning' on her. No more book for you Ghost Lady!

• Love 2

Robbie going after the guy was dumb, but he was trying to resist before going into his cell. It made me wonder how much control he really has over the vengeful spirit that possesses him. 

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 4

It was okay, but basically felt like "part five" of a ten part story (or twenty?).  Everyone's story took one step forward (Daisy, Simmons, Ghost Rider, Ghost People, new Shield Director, etc). 

How many times will Daisy have to learn that her Shield team is like family? At least once very season? Okay.

Coulson, Daisy and May try to escape the cafeteria because they can't take on all the WatchDogs at once. Five minutes later, they have taken on all the WatchDogs at once.

Edited by shrewd.buddha
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3

So is that all the ghosts now besides Lucy gone? I feel like it was her plus 4, right? One they got when they first investigated the lab. But I think Robbie only got an additional two here. The one he got with his chain and one with his grab.

1 hour ago, seveneightnine said:

Why is it that the angry ghost lady (Lucy?) can touch somethings and not others? It was driving me crazy through the whole episode. She opened the cell block doors, but can still walk through walls? She can close the Ambulance door and sit on the bench, but can't turn the pages in the book? Can she phase shift at will?

I think the idea was that the Darkhold was actively refusing to work for her. She does seem to have at least some control over her tangibility, they all do, the guy was letting Mack's axe pass right through him.

• Love 1
15 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

I know this is probably unpopular, but I feel awful for Daisy. She is just drowning in grief

I like Daisy, so I do feel bad for her, but between the pouty loner schtick and the emo eyeliner, it is hard to take her seriously.  And May called it when she said she invented the lone wolf thing.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, DeLurker said:

I like Daisy, so I do feel bad for her, but between the pouty loner schtick and the emo eyeliner, it is hard to take her seriously.  And May called it when she said she invented the lone wolf thing.

I totally agree. I really do like Daisy, and I feel bad that I keep complaining about her and her story line, but its just getting old. Her constant sad faces and her stupid Hot Topic eyeliner just makes it so hard to relate to her anymore. She went through a lot, but her constant angst is just not very compelling, and it seems to be reverting her to how she was before her character development, but with crappier makeup.

I still miss Bobbi and Hunter.

I did like this episode pretty well though, although not as much as last week. I like seeing Fitz take charge during a mission and doing a good job as mission control. I hope we get to see more of Fitz and Simmons as a couple soon though. I`m glad that they have gotten more time to shine on their own over the years, but its taken them ages to actually get together, lets see them being together! 

I was surprised that the director outed himself as an Inhuman on TV. I feel like he might be sketchy, but I like him. I wonder if he is kind of a smiley er, more PR focused version of Nick Fury, who does questionable stuff for what he thinks is a greater good? Or he`s just a bad guy. I hope not. 

Way to go, Robby. You killed a guy who had apparently no interest in being a criminal anymore, and had nothing to do with what happened to your brother, and got your uncle kidnapped, and he will now probably go Evil Book crazy. I still like you, but come on dude!

"A pissed off mad scientist ghost!" Its lines like that that really makes me love comic book stuff. 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

I was surprised that the director outed himself as an Inhuman on TV. I feel like he might be sketchy, but I like him. I wonder if he is kind of a smiley er, more PR focused version of Nick Fury, who does questionable stuff for what he thinks is a greater good? Or he`s just a bad guy. I hope not. 

Way to go, Robby. You killed a guy who had apparently no interest in being a criminal anymore, and had nothing to do with what happened to your brother, and got your uncle kidnapped, and he will now probably go Evil Book crazy. I still like you, but come on dude!

"A pissed off mad scientist ghost!" Its lines like that that really makes me love comic book stuff. 

I keep getting a vibe from Director Mace that something besides his being an Inhuman is going on. Because the world has been trained to think Inhuman instead of Super Soldier when someone enhanced comes along. It would be like Delta Force going undercover as Army Rangers to hide in plain sight. The ease which the Senator sister of an Inhuman had a secret meeting suggest to me this is different from the X-movies where the Colonel had a mutant son.

As for Robbie I do wonder how much is him and how much is "the other guy". Seeing he finally got the last surviving member of the gang which tried to kill him and his brother.

• Love 2

I definitely got the sense it was Ghost Rider (whatever it is) and not Robbie who went back and killed the guy. Robbie seemed to be willing to let it go. It was the voice in his head trying to talk him into it that eventually won out.

• Love 3

I definitely got the sense it was Ghost Rider (whatever it is) and not Robbie who went back and killed the guy. Robbie seemed to be willing to let it go. It was the voice in his head trying to talk him into it that eventually won out.

23 hours ago, CyberJawa1986 said:

So, I think I'm only coming back for Ghost Rider and the other new characters.  The only OG to hold my interest is May.

Yeah, at this point I am interested in Ghost Rider (and I fear what they are going to do with the Darkhold, but that is another story for later) but I also like Mace. Only because he seems to be the only sympathetic character, this season, that I can feel any empathy for on this show. Pretty much every member of the main cast of characters are being a bunch of selfish dicks/a-holes to this guy and/or towards him in general, really for no reason. I know that is tough to say but I am not sympathetic towards Fitz, for not only lying to Simmons but also decided to hide Aida from her and SHIELD. I am not sympathetic towards Simmons for blackmailing Mace (for whatever she found out about him). I am not sympathetic that Daisy has decided to go emo and dress like she shops only at a Hot Topic, from a decade ago, and no matter how much eyeliner she wears, I am still wondering why she is acting the way she is. I am not sympathetic towards Coulson, only because he is at a stage in his Daisy withdraw mode where it first made him into a really sad person, then when he saw Daisy he got really pissy (for a second) and has continued to hide things from his new boss (and it seems that he actually stepped down as director, voluntarily. So he wasn't fired or demoted and we all know that Captain America/Steve Rogers -Coulson's obvious first choice as the new SHIELD director- is in hiding.  So there is no way Steve Rogers is coming on as the new director- sorry Phil) and he has also gone against Mace's orders/kept Daisy out of a SHIELD holding cell, etc... 

May and Mack haven't been in any real danger (and we all knew that May would be fine and Simmons/Fitz will find a cure for her) this season. Yo-Yo was fun to see but they had to tie her into Daisy's story. It' not that I don't like the two but they have also decided to say, "fuck it" to Mace's orders, for the only fact that they don't like him. 

On 10/26/2016 at 11:13 AM, shrewd.buddha said:

It was okay, but basically felt like "part five" of a ten part story (or twenty?).  Everyone's story took one step forward (Daisy, Simmons, Ghost Rider, Ghost People, new Shield Director, etc). 

How many times will Daisy have to learn that her Shield team is like family? At least once very season? Okay.

Coulson, Daisy and May try to escape the cafeteria because they can't take on all the WatchDogs at once. Five minutes later, they have taken on all the WatchDogs at once.

Yeah, I remember complaining about how each episode, except for a few episodes, were feeling like it's all set-up, during last season. Maybe the writers think that this show will work better as a streaming show, but if that is the case then, in my opinion, that is just setting up this show for cancellation because it airs in a weekly format. The Netflix shows probably can do that, but their whole season (for each show) is released all at once for anybody to watch all in one sitting. This show has a different format from the Netflix series, so if feels more like a chore to watch than the Netflix shows. I really don't know if  the Netflix shows have the feeling of set-up/being part of "part 3 of 13" set-up but their story seems more streamline and better told than this show. 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 1

Finally caught up on this season.  Is the show actually going to use Mephisto and/or Dormammu?

Admittedly, my only knowledge of either comes from the Fox Kids 90's Spider-Man.   That show did a really cool arc with them, Carnage, and War Machine.

Edited by Tiger
  • Love 1
22 hours ago, Tiger said:

Finally caught up on this season.  Is the show actually going to use Mephisto and/or Dormammu?

Admittedly, my only knowledge of either comes from the Fox Kids 90's Spider-Man.   That show did a really cool arc with them, Carnage, and War Machine.

A name may be dropped during Tuesday night's episode in the final lead-up to Thursday night's (US) release of Doctor Strange but any real reveal will come from the film, I'm sure.  Perhaps, "It's all connected" but the MCU still seems very proprietary about the big names.

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

A name may be dropped during Tuesday night's episode in the final lead-up to Thursday night's (US) release of Doctor Strange but any real reveal will come from the film, I'm sure.  Perhaps, "It's all connected" but the MCU still seems very proprietary about the big names.

Yeah, this is actually what I am expecting to happen. Although who knows, maybe they will get to have Mephisto on the show (maybe for like a few seconds and in human form as well).

As with news about Dormammu (and it's actually a major spoiler as well):

Spoiler

Here is an IO9 article about a major spoiler for Doctor Strange. It basically says that Dormammu will be in the film and that there will be a scene or two where Dormammu is either going to possess Dr. Strange and/or morph into him. So, I would basically assume that Dormammu is only going to appear in the movie and not the show. 

http://io9.gizmodo.com/well-heres-a-ginormous-doctor-strange-spoiler-1788203327

Edited by TVSpectator
13 minutes ago, TVSpectator said:

Yeah, this is actually what I am expecting to happen. Although who knows, maybe they will get to have Mephisto on the show (maybe for like a few seconds and in human form as well).

As with news about Dormammu (and it's actually a major spoiler as well):

Reveal hidden contents

Here is an IO9 article about a major spoiler for Doctor Strange. It basically says that Dormammu will be in the film and that there will be a scene or two where Dormammu is either going to possess Dr. Strange and/or morph into him. So, I would basically assume that Dormammu is only going to appear in the movie and not the show. 

http://io9.gizmodo.com/well-heres-a-ginormous-doctor-strange-spoiler-1788203327

Cool.  Good find!  I'll bet the film spoiler is the truth too, with Europeans already having been able to see Doctor Strange, not to mention tons of reviewers.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, ProudMary said:

Cool.  Good find!  I'll bet the film spoiler is the truth too, with Europeans already having been able to see Doctor Strange, not to mention tons of reviewers.

That article has been out for like a week now. It's pretty much confirmed since they have Cumberbatch's and Derrickson's word that it happen. It's just I was just rambling off of the top of my head and I couldn't remember exactly what will happen.  

As with having Mephisto on this show. Well is he closely tied into Ghost Rider (the Johnny Blaze version, for sure) but since they basically made their version of Robbie Reyes into the new MCU version of Johnny, it is possible for him to show up. Personally, I won't put it past this show to show us Mephisto, at least in human form, and as long as the version is good, then I guess it will be okay. 

• Love 1
On 10/26/2016 at 0:04 AM, blackwing said:

Why not bring back Bobbi Morse and actually give her the costume and extendable battle staves of Mockingbird? 

They're on loan to Sara on Legends of Tomorrow!

On 10/26/2016 at 7:45 PM, tennisgurl said:

You had one job, Robby!  ONE JOB!!!

• Love 7
On 2016-10-24 at 10:18 AM, TVSpectator said:

Plus, the font that they put on the Darkhold kinds of looks cartoonish, too me. 

To me it looks sort of palindromic, like the word art that reads the same whether upside-down or right side up.

Just now, Sandman said:

To me it looks sort of palindromic, like the word art that reads the same whether upside-down or right side up.

Yeah, it is supposed to be a palindromic script but I just don't really like it. I did prefer the little "d" that was on the cover of the original Darkhold, that was in the comics. It was neat and a bit more subtle than literally spelling the word out.  Sure,  it is kind of stupid to have a magic book with only a lowercase D on its cover, but I also think that spelling out the word, "DARKHOLD" in bold face letters and in a fancy script isn't really that high up on awesomeness. Plus, it seems that the show was literally hitting us over the head with the reference, "hey lookie here, this is the Darkhold. We literally spelled the word, "DARKHOLD" on it so you won't get confused at all on what it is and also it's in a fancy script to see how smart we all are!"

• Love 1
On 10/27/2016 at 1:02 PM, KirkB said:

I was thinking this too. I think Mack is right, Robbie doesn't have complete control over it. And he wanted to go with his uncle, but clearly was struggling and went back before he "turned".

• Love 1
23 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

I also think that spelling out the word, "DARKHOLD" in bold face letters and in a fancy script isn't really that high up on awesomeness. Plus, it seems that the show was literally hitting us over the head with the reference, "hey lookie here, this is the Darkhold. We literally spelled the word, "DARKHOLD" on it so you won't get confused at all on what it is and also it's in a fancy script to see how smart we all are!"

I kept thinking it must be an optical illusion, that I was reading it wrong, that I was being too simplistic. I couldn't quite make myself believe that the writers would literally spell it out on the cover that way. Yeesh.

Edited by Sandman
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, Sandman said:

I kept thinking in must be an optical illusion, that I was being too simplistic. I couldn't quite make myself believe that the writers would literally spell it out on the cover that way. Yeesh.

Yeah, it did feel simplistic and I thought it was a bit corny as well. 

• Love 1
On 26/10/2016 at 0:04 AM, blackwing said:

Is Ghost Rider going to be a season long thing?  I just have to wonder, why Ghost Rider?  Why not a character who was actually affiliated with SHIELD in the comics?  Why not bring back Bobbi Morse and actually give her the costume and extendable battle staves of Mockingbird?   Why not the classic Inhumans like Black Bolt or Medusa or Crystal

I think this season is better than the show has been in awhile, but I have no faith that these writers could pull off the kind of suspense you need to really show Black Bolt's powers well and actually make him interesting.

9 hours ago, Kel Varnsen said:

I think this season is better than the show has been in awhile, but I have no faith that these writers could pull off the kind of suspense you need to really show Black Bolt's powers well and actually make him interesting.

I have been really enjoying the Ghost Rider and the Darkhold plots (when it's not focused on Daisy) but like you I just don't have faith that the writers can actually pull the Inhuman Royal Family, just right (hell, look at what they did to Lash and he was a very important Inhuman from the Comics but they totally got his looks crappy  and then they had the audacity to just kill him off, and in a pretty crappy way too...). Also, I do kind of fear that they will try to make Daisy a long lost relative of Black Bolt (thus making her part of the Royal Family) or something even worse- a love subplot. 

Also, I guess you haven't heard the news that Marvel is planning to make a separate Inhuman TV series (which will air on ABC, for 8 episodes, next fall). The first two episodes will be filmed with partnership with IMAX and will also be available in IMAX theaters, but that is as close as it will come for a movie:

It looks like the Inhumans movie is no more. Marvel has just announced that, seemingly instead of seeing the adventures of Black Bolt, Medusa, and the Inhuman royal family as a movie, they will now appear in their own TV show on ABC.

The series will be co-produced between Marvel, ABC, and IMAX—and in a strange move, will sort of still be a movie event for Marvel next year. The first two episodes of the show will premiere worldwide across IMAX-compatible theaters with a two week exclusivity window, before airing on ABC in the fall of 2017 as a weekly series. According to sources speaking to The Hollywood Reporter, The Inhumans show’s first season will run for eight episodes, and the series is not considered a direct spinoff of the events of Agents of SHIELD.

That is presumably because although the Inhumans as a concept have slowly begun to be introduced on TV through Agents of SHIELD, that world will be blown right open in the Inhumans show—which will indeed tell the story of Black Bolt and the Royal Family, according to the press release provided by Marvel. No other character names were mentioned beyond Black Bolt, but expect the likes of Medusa, Crystal, Gorgon, and more to be joining the series. Maybe even Lockjaw, if we’re lucky.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-inhumans-movie-is-now-an-inhumans-tv-show-coming-s-1788974721

Or at the time of the October 25th original post it was rumored that while Agents of SHIELD could use the Inhumans the Royal Family was being saved for the big screen but that got delayed, and most assumed cancelled entirely when the Spider-Man deal went through and the calendar slot was taken away