Type keyword(s) to search

S03.E09: Jessa's Announcement

bigskygirl
  • Start Topic

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 1:26 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Oh, forgot to mention to the poster who read that the wedding date isn't set. Flat out lie. They know; they just aren't telling to keep the paps away. They also wouldn't go on to say the wedding would be next season if they weren't already filming it. I don't buy that article any more than the KJB blind item about knocking up a young girl so he could get #20.

no need to get nasty about it.

I merely stated what I had read... true or not.

• Love 7

They kept saying that "Izzy talks Spanish." He was just 15 months at that point, and I didn't hear him speak English let alone Spanish. Since neither of his parents speak Spanish, and speak English poorly, I wonder how the he earned Spanish...through osmosis from the air down there?

• Love 5
15 hours ago, louannems said:

Speaking of anxiety, does anyone remember the episode when all the kids were sitting in a circle on the floor?  They were trying to choose a name for Jordyn.  One of the Howlers chose Juicy Fruit!  Anyway, young Joy had a nervous twitch. Her face was not at all cute with that twitch going on.

As someone who was raised in a very strict, extremely patriarchal family, I always felt on edge, growing up.  I had one nervous twitch after another.

My personal favorite was Giraffe. That was a fun scene. It's such a shame about Joy.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, winsomeone said:

They kept saying that "Izzy talks Spanish." He was just 15 months at that point, and I didn't hear him speak English let alone Spanish. Since neither of his parents speak Spanish, and speak English poorly, I wonder how the he earned Spanish...through osmosis from the air down there?

Pretty sure Izzy was passed off to the local women/girls as much as possible. It's a Duggar thing.

• Love 10
On October 19, 2016 at 7:12 AM, Barb23 said:

Something definitely happened to Jill in CA.  She looked like she couldn't wait to get on the plane back to TTH.

Josie was definitely an Internet FU this week.  Her hair was combed & she looked cleaner.  They had her coloring the banner rather than walking across the counters.  She was still hard to understand & had to have subtitles for her TH's,  but I couldn't understand Mullett screeching during the reveal either. Callie Bates needs to give her some TH pointers. That little one is never at a loss for words, HER words. 

I can see Jana working in an antiques type store in the real world.  Too bad she can't move to Tennessee & open up a store with Erin (Bates) & Chad Payne.  He is a great woodworker in case anyone doesn't know.

I was wondering if Jana is a fan of "Fixer Upper." With her earlier comment about wanting a guy who works with his hands, I wonder if she would enjoy a life like that of Chip and Joanna Gaines. (Not necessarily on TV!)

• Love 6
3 hours ago, winsomeone said:

2 hours ago, Absolom said:

I heard him say agua.  I guess to them knowing two or three Spanish words is equivalent to speaking Spanish.

Appearances are important when all of your money comes from grifting.  They probably worked very hard to teach Izzy a couple of words.  If he knows 'aqua', chances are he also knows 'no'.  See?  He's bilingual!

39 minutes ago, sometimesy said:

Pretty sure Izzy was passed off to the local women/girls as much as possible. It's a Duggar thing.

Jill might have done that at first, but I get the impression that she spent the last few months locked in her casa with Izzy.  I bet she only went out with Derick after that, and probably kept the trips short.

Hey, I know 'agua', 'no', and 'casa'!  I speak Spanish!  I'll soon be gathering up funds for my mission trip to Spain.  Or maybe Costa Rica or Argentina.  Anyway, send money.

• Love 19

I am always pleased to see Ben doing stuff around the house: cooking, ironing, etc. It gives me hope. 

Jessa's that she isn't planning to bear 19 kids suggests family planning to me. This also gives me hope. 

I have to be careful about finding the "kids" more and more likeable, because it makes me forget their bigotry and efforts to suppress the rights of others... I guess we don't know, though, that they all have the same views. I like to think it's possible that some have more open and loving hearts, even if they can't admit it. 

I enjoyed the restaurant scenes, after Jinger talking about waiting for the first kiss - I know I saw Jeremy kiss her hand. And the show was rife with full-frontal hugs. Of course creepy Jim Boob wanted to know what shenanigans he missed. UGH. 

• Love 7
On ‎10‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 7:22 AM, DangerousMinds said:

Didn't Michelle always quit breastfeeding quite early?

Yep, she breastfed for 6 months and then handed the kiddo off to its sister-mom to care for while she went to Starbucks.  The baby, which had slept in Michelle's room, was relocated to the girls' dorm so the sister-moms could handle any middle of the night needs.  Our assumption is that she, like many breastfeeding women, wasn't having regular periods and so she wanted to stop breastfeeding so she could get another bun in the oven ASAP.

• Love 8
19 hours ago, SongbirdHollow said:

IIRC, she breastfeeds until the baby refuses to nurse, which is because she's pregnant again and the taste of the milk changes. Her explanation, not mine.

There is some truth to this.  When a baby is first born, the breastmilk has a lower fat content, take a look at colostrum, it is very thin. 
Then, as the baby grows and needs more calories, the fat content increases.  Once the mother conceives again, the fat content drops back to newborn levels.  Older babies, who, like the rest of us, have grown to appreciate fat in their food, won't like the taste of the lower fat stuff and will often wean themselves.  Happens a lot.  The milk isn't sour, though, just less tasty.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 15
4 hours ago, MV713 said:

no need to get nasty about it.

I merely stated what I had read... true or not.

Not nasty at all. Just pointing out typical Duggar subterfuge/flat-out lies to protect their cash flow (and keep leghumpers away). The majority of Duggar tabloid stuff is either rehashed known facts or flat out made up bullshit for clickbait.

• Love 5

Oh wow, Listening to Michelle was as bad as listening to Priscilla, as was listening to Joy.  

I have scissors, let me tackle their hair!   I hate to think how much hair is lying around their filthy houses, it makes me cringe! 

Blurry, grainy youtube video, but that red dress on Jessa looked stupid! 

Jinger's disbelief that Jessa is expecting and she is engaged, well duh! 

That maxi skirt Jill had on while Izzy was looking at the photos on the string made her look definitely pregnant, but they have limited dress sense so it could have been just a bad choice in dress.

What is with their obsessions with banners?  

Josie: I've been waiting for this day, omg, how scripted! My almost 7 year old would never say that!  I can't wait, or she has been away a long time, absolutely, but not I've been waiting for this day!  

Derick: you have a huge bloody pool in your back yard, you so had better keep those doors locked!  

Why didn't they babysit Israel at Jessa and Ben's?  they should have at least shut as many doors as possible!  

I agree with whoever said Michelle was channelling a dolphin at the announcement, I almost fell off the chair laughing!  She just spent how long with Jessa and Ben when they went to NYC for Jinger's proposal, how big are her blinders?  

Thank goodness for no/limited flashbacks, still a snooze-fest, but better than re-hashing everything repeatedly.  

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, LittlePeas3 said:

I agree with whoever said Michelle was channelling a dolphin at the announcement, I almost fell off the chair laughing!  She just spent how long with Jessa and Ben when they went to NYC for Jinger's proposal, how big are her blinders?  

Michelle was really over acting in that scene. Like a woman who's been pregnant nearly twenty times wouldn't know a baby belly when she sees one. Plus Jessa really puffs up in the face with pregnancy, even early on. Just looking at her the signs would've been obvious.

• Love 7

Yeah, Jessa's face in addition to the baggy shirts were a dead giveaway for me in real time. Some idiot on FJ called me out for fat shaming; I had to remind her about how Jessa's face is the first thing to show pregnancy. Add in the baggy shirts when she typically flaunts herself in body-con tops, well, I had no doubts when the People spread came out.

• Love 4

I was disturbed by Josie's coloring of said banners. She's almost 7, first grade. She colored like a 3 year old, far inside the HUGE letter she was assigned to. And then she just scribbled up and down, making no attempt to even head out to the edge of the pattern. I've worked extensively with kids that age, and her technique is far below age-range behavior. 

This, as well as the scripted FU Internetz statements that had to be sub-titled really make me worry for that girl. Not to mention, I was as tiny as Josie (I only made it to 5'), but I can NEVER remember being carried ANYWHERE after I was about 4: there's a picture with my dad holding me. But there was also a picture of me walking down a path with Dad knelt down several feet behind me.  Josie may be the most trapped of them all if they don't get her some help. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, DOBABYR said:

At Jessa's reveal

Jinger: 'I really wish Jeremy was here'

Joy: looking like she just swallowed her vomit... sarcastically says: 'Bummer'

One of the funniest parts of the episode

That WAS funny, especially since the sarcasm was totally lost on Jinger.

• Love 9
On October 20, 2016 at 6:13 PM, Sew Sumi said:

Or, as she explained on the Redneck Waterslide episode, Jordyn weaned herself because Mechelle's milk becomes "sour" or somesuch when she gets knocked up. This was in June, Josie originally due in March. Jordyn was barely 6 months old at the announcement. Also don't forget that Jessa BRAGGED that she and Jinger are 13 months apart. Mechelle had a few of these, so she didn't even make it to six months nursing. 

I have a 22 month-old son and a 3 month old daughter. This paragraph made my vagina hurt. It just erased any doubts I might have had (I didn't) about getting my fallopian tubes removed in a couple of months. I adore my kids and they're the best thing that ever happened to me, but HELL NO to any more back-to-back pregnancies (or pregnancies at all) and caring for a baby and a newborn baby.  These people are insane to keep doing it over and over again. 

• Love 12
6 hours ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

I have a 22 month-old son and a 3 month old daughter. This paragraph made my vagina hurt. It just erased any doubts I might have had (I didn't) about getting my fallopian tubes removed in a couple of months. I adore my kids and they're the best thing that ever happened to me, but HELL NO to any more back-to-back pregnancies (or pregnancies at all) and caring for a baby and a newborn baby.  These people are insane to keep doing it over and over again. 

I guess it is easier when there are "big girls" to pass the kids off to. Mine are 21 months apart. Only two by choice. Once the baby slept through the night it got easier and they grew up friends. But - twice and done!!  

• Love 3

The welcome home sign said Ya'll.  Is that right?  I think it's supposed to be Y'all, right? I didn't attend the School of the Dining Room Table so I could very well be wrong :).

When JB said they would need a faster plane so they could visit Jinger in Texas, the whole family laughed, including Spurgeon.  I'm 'almost' certain he wasn't laughing at JB (hey, you never know!) but the way it was edited was super adorable.  That kid!  I really never thought he was cute or not cute until this past episode.  Love him!!

Edited by woodscommaelle
  • Love 6
On October 19, 2016 at 8:04 AM, Jeeves said:

KJB does his best imitation of a rooster lording over his chickens (like Foghorn Leghorn minus 50 IQ points) and generally displays his world class crassness, and various assorted Duggars participate in TLC-created "activities" for the cameras. 

THIS!!! so much this!!!   I nominate you to win the internet today.  KJB has always reminded me of Foghorn Leghorn!  I gave him too much credit, since you docked 50 IQ points.   

• Love 3

This episode was somewhat more tolerable.  We did see plenty of FUs...Josie in particular...though coached...was elocuting properly at least and didn't look feral for a change.  I was pleased to see she's gotten some speech therapy.  No child deserves to be held back on things that someone can actually do something about!!!

Don't think they'll be back in CA for good any time soon. Something happened there so upsetting that they can't talk about it. Both seem visibly shaken.  Even Derick was whingeing about danger and fearing being shot, so def not going back there.  

I think Ben is on to something in wanting to minister to at-risk youth; plenty of needs to minister to in this country. His heart seems to be in the right place. This is something that Derick and Jill could also consider as their ministry.  Missionary work is NOT for everyone, and it's not a missioncation .  I also think Jilly thought being a missionary was an extension of that.  Anyone can endure doing without things not being like home for a couple of weeks, particularly in the company of one's family or close friends.  Shit got real once it was just the two of them there dealing day in and day out with the inconveniences that the locals took in their stride as an inevitable part of being there.

i did think they were cute in the grocery store scene when they filled up their cart b/c not being able to get everything they liked there.  Wally World in Puerto Rico is almost indistinguishable from a mainland store, except for the addition of their own ethnic food. You could get just about anything there just like on the mainland.  I imagine the Walmarts in CA to be more about what sells best there.  

I wonder if Jill and Derick ever tried tostones or experimented with the many delicious ways to cook plantains while they were there.  Goya even sells Frozen tostones if they didn't want to mess with frying them up. Nowhere near as good as fresh...but in a pinch... 

And Princess Jessa who did NONE of the remodeling was certainly there to critique it! She's imperious that one, is she not?

• Love 4
9 hours ago, woodscommaelle said:

The welcome home sign said Ya'll.  Is that right?  I think it's supposed to be Y'all, right? I didn't attend the School of the Dining Room Table so I could very well be wrong :).

When JB said they would need a faster plane so they could visit Jinger in Texas, the whole family laughed, including Spurgeon.  I'm 'almost' certain he wasn't laughing at JB (hey, you never know!) but the way it was edited was super adorable.  That kid!  I really never thought he was cute or not cute until this past episode.  Love him!!

Yep.  I am from heathen California where we don't really use y'all but even *I* know its y'all.  

• Love 4
17 hours ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

Glad to have you back on the boards after the difficult pregnancy. I'm glad the babies are doing well. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Portia said:

Disagree. Colloquialism though it is, the word is a contraction of "you all." In a contraction, the apostrophe replaces one or more omitted letters, in this case the "ou." "Y'all" is the only spelling that makes sense. People DO spell it the other way, but they are incorrect. 

Marry me. Oh wait, already married. Still, I stand by the sentiment.

Edited by jcbrown
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, Portia said:

Disagree. Colloquialism though it is, the word is a contraction of "you all." In a contraction, the apostrophe replaces one or more omitted letters, in this case the "ou." "Y'all" is the only spelling that makes sense. People DO spell it the other way, but they are incorrect. 

Seriously?!?! I will continue to write and text the rest of my southern family ya'll! It could easily say ya all but written in short text. I hear lots of people say ya all even though I may not say it. Never thought I would ever defend Duggars. I think I will go on to bed now. Goodnight ya'll! Sorry.... y'all. 

• Love 4
1 hour ago, DOBABYR said:

Seriously?!?! I will continue to write and text the rest of my southern family ya'll! It could easily say ya all but written in short text. I hear lots of people say ya all even though I may not say it. Never thought I would ever defend Duggars. I think I will go on to bed now. Goodnight ya'll! Sorry.... y'all. 

I've certainly seen "ya'll" written maybe it's a contraction "ya all"? MY only issue as a Virginian is characters in movies and on tv saying "y'all" to a single person. NO, just NO. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, MischaMouse said:

I've certainly seen "ya'll" written maybe it's a contraction "ya all"? MY only issue as a Virginian is characters in movies and on tv saying "y'all" to a single person. NO, just NO. 

I remember once in a episode of Reba, Van's mother, who'd just said y'all, pointing out she was only speaking to Van, by saying "if I meant all of you, I would have said "all y'all." Heh.

The Duggars are so boring I'm finding the language discussions more interesting than anything else about the episode.

Edited by kalamac
spelling
  • Love 15
5 hours ago, MischaMouse said:

Yeah, people do write it that way. But some folks just never quite internalized the contraction rule. I've seen people write "did'nt" and "could'nt," too. The thing is, though, I know it's wrong. But I still know what they meant. So it doesn't particularly bother me.

I've also had people in real life say "y'all" to just me. I suppose they're just very used to saying it so it's become their multipurpose word.

I also wonder -- How many people should there be before you say   "all y'all"? In my experience, that's usually said with an expansive sweep of the hand or something. So I'm guessing -- about a roomful?     "All y'all" is my favorite.

• Love 5

Jill is ill prepared to deal with anything beyond Duggarland. She had a rose-tinted view of life as a missionary' s wife and the brutal reality of that path let her down. She's miserable, and being naive is the biggest part of it. I'd also venture to guess that many of the locals in Central America didn't respond to the Dillards and their Great White Baby with welcoming smiles and open arms the way Jill anticipated.

• Love 10
57 minutes ago, ThinkerBell said:

Jill is ill prepared to deal with anything beyond Duggarland. She had a rose-tinted view of life as a missionary' s wife and the brutal reality of that path let her down. She's miserable, and being naive is the biggest part of it. I'd also venture to guess that many of the locals in Central America didn't respond to the Dillards and their Great White Baby with welcoming smiles and open arms the way Jill anticipated.

I agree. I think Jill would be more than happy to ditch Izzy and Derrick and resume her old life as a resident in the girls' dorm. Adulting just isn't in her wheelhouse.

• Love 15

I'm surprised that TLC and the duggars didn't try to make 2 seasons out of the engagement and pregnancy announcement. Guess there was no avoiding it since it's no secret that Jessa is pregnant and they've got to get Jinger married before she commits the worst of all sins and has sex out of wedlock. 

• Love 3

Apologies for the off-topic talk and for any offense. Sometimes I think I'm being humorously pedantic but it comes off as just plain pedantic. 

Catching up on the show this afternoon, and even if the Dullards wanted to returun to CA, I can't imagine SOS would have them after all their negative talk. I do feel bad for them if something bad happened to them down there, but most missionaries I know go into service with their eyes wide open to the dangers. (I know a former missionary who endured a brutal beating/sexual assault in the field. He decided to move his family back to the States afterward but shared his experience and decision with his supporters with zero drama.) I can't imagine any viewer responding to Jill & Derrick's "dangerdangerdanger" message with the thought, "Let's totally do some missioncationing with SOS!"

Edited by Portia
  • Love 10
On 10/21/2016 at 1:10 PM, Tabbygirl521 said:

I was wondering if Jana is a fan of "Fixer Upper." With her earlier comment about wanting a guy who works with his hands, I wonder if she would enjoy a life like that of Chip and Joanna Gaines. (Not necessarily on TV!)

I think she wanted Chad Paine and has never gotten over it.

I bet they meant that ChooChoo understands Spanish.....not speaks it.

So after the Jinge/Babe wedding, can this thing get cancelled for once and for all?  The other TLC shows with scandals tend to get whisked off the air in two seconds flat.

• Love 5
23 minutes ago, drafan said:

I think she wanted Chad Paine and has never gotten over it.

I bet they meant that ChooChoo understands Spanish.....not speaks it.

So after the Jinge/Babe wedding, can this thing get cancelled for once and for all?  The other TLC shows with scandals tend to get whisked off the air in two seconds flat.

I think in Gothardland, that's a common sentiment amongst the (then and possibly still now) single girls. Heck, I'd love a Chad, minus the religion part. I don't think I'm alone Yes, he's my pet fundie....words I never thought I'd admit to myself, let alone share in a forum.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Heck, I'd love a Chad, minus the religion part. I don't think I'm alone Yes, he's my pet fundie....words I never thought I'd admit to myself, let alone share in a forum.

HEY, I saw him first!!! He's also my pet fundie, and I hate fundies. But I also adore Erin...... I think they're the cutest 50's throw-back prom king and queen.

Oops, back to this episode, which I did not watch.....Jana, the untrained interior decorator......hmmmm.....JB seems to be cycling the eligible Js  around......does Chad have a comparable brother?

• Love 3

There are two other Paine brothers who are over 21, but one of them is already married. I forget which one. 

Can you imagine Jessa with Chad Paine? She's the one person I could see turning him into a totally different person. 

Is Counting On definitely returning for a third season? I remember reading somewhere that this was one reason the wedding date hadn't been announced yet, because it wasn't known if the show would be returning. I can't imagine TLC deciding to cancel this after only 2 seasons. Though I think Jim Bob most likely was a strong influence on all of the "kids" to make sure that they appeared on the show, in case it would be their final season.

• Love 1

No one's been able to produce this supposed article about doubts for a third season, so I remain dubious. Someone mentioned it here last week, but no article. SOMEONE else would have posted something like that in the media section, because it's pretty damn important information. 

All that to say: the only place I've seen this information was basically transmitted as gossip on this site. I honestly don't see any reason for them not to return; they got their numbers up a bit, and it seems like they have a few more sponsors. Ugh. 

• Love 3

Im sure JB is trying to bait tlc into a 3rd season of Counting On with this impending wedding. It also buys him time to arrange another courtship, i.e. season 4...uggh

ETA: Sew Sumi, funny that both our posts ilicited the 'ugh' reflex lol

Edited by lulu69
  • Love 3

TLC was seen filming Jinger's wedding dress expedition in VA (same shop that Jill used), so they definitely have footage in the can. Of course, they had almost a whole season prepared in the can (including the fake food giveaway and Ben's Community College graduation), but it took Joshgate for TLC to shelve those episodes. Unless there's another scandal of equal proportions, we're going to be subjected to more of this crap.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 4