Type keyword(s) to search

Hillary Rodham Clinton: 2016 Democratic Presidential Nominee

10 minutes ago, ebk57 said:

Abide by the two-term limit?  Really?? She has never been elected, or served as President.  You're really stretching there.

There were some news stories before the primaries eight years ago saying that the Supreme Court would have to sign off on her being seated if she won, and this was coming from prominent Democrats characterizing her as just having been First Lady. It comes down to whether you're looking at the letter of the law, or its spirit.

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, clb1016 said:

Daily Kos is another site I've been checking way too often.  I'm just not sure that their partisanship (which I share) hasn't colored their interpretation of polls.

As I mentioned in one of these threads, my husband occasionally blogs about polling for DailyKos.  They try really hard not to do that, although I think it's impossible to divorce it entirely.

Nate Silver seems less "conservative" about his speculation and more "Concern Troll" at this point.

• Love 4
Just now, starri said:

As I mentioned in one of these threads, my husband occasionally blogs about polling for DailyKos.  They try really hard not to do that, although I think it's impossible to divorce it entirely.

Nate Silver seems less "conservative" about his speculation and more "Concern Troll" at this point.

I'm sure DailyKos makes every effort to be impartial, but so many stories on that site give me a "rose-colored glasses" vibe.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, LoneHaranguer said:

A central theme of the 1992 Clinton campaign was that it was going to be a dual Presidency, and that's exactly how she acted in the White House, rather than as First Lady. It's a negative because not wanting to abide by the two-term limit of the 22nd Amendment shows her disrespect for the law.

There is no statement in the above quote that is almost true.
But hey, whatever, right?

• Love 20

Speaking of Whedon did you guys see that Go Vote Ad he did with Chris Pine?  It's not specifically HRC related but it's aimed at getting people to vote out the Do Nothings in Congress.  It's Hilarious.  I hope it's OK to post here, if nothing else it should make you laugh

• Love 14
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2016 at 1:13 AM, Kromm said:

Exactly. Think about how totally insane Trump had to get, and how many people even on his "own side" he had to insult before the polling turned.

Heck, the only reason the third party candidates aren't doing better is that a.) listening to them, they're just as bad  and b.) most people DO accept the logic that favoring them risks giving swing state ground to Trump.

You'll hear some "rah rah Hillary is great" stuff occasionally, but the average response is "better corrupt than crazy". People don't like being lied to. But you know what they hate more?  Being dead. Turning Earth into a ball of radioactive dirt. That's why Hillary is winning strong finally. People are aware she will probably lie to us a lot. People are aware she's about as sincere as Bill Cosby's sweatshirt telling people "Hello, Friend!" People expect President Clinton II will probably have some scandals. But she does respond to public opinion (and still will after she's elected). Allegedly her temper is more cold than hot (which means subtle digs or slow revenge but not irrational spur of the moment bad decisions). And while she wasn't the world's best diplomat, she was infinitely better than an Orange Idiot who would within a few months likely lose the US every single ally we've ever collected. 

This is all even before we talk about who's likely to do what when a Nuclear football is involved.

But even conventional conflicts show the differences. It's true for example that Clinton seems to favor being tough with Russia, and Trump claims he wants "peace" with them, but Putin is literally getting crazier and crazier every year he's in power and Trump bending over for him and saying "Please Vlad may I have another" may not lead into a second cold war quite as quickly, but instead into a world where within a few years Russia would be as big as the Soviet Union again.   Meanwhile the idiot is all too happy to antagonize China, a country we far more desperately need to make peace with.

But the real danger with Trump is that this is an idiot, an utter buffoon, who if in power would be the first President to start diplomatic incidents by Tweeting things. He literally doesn't think before he does it. He's like Amanda Bynes back in her worst days when she was tweeting super crazy shit every single day... except he'd be tweeting that kind of nonsense to other people in the world with weapons, treaties with us, etc.  We'd be lucky to last a year before something truly nightmarish results.

Great points.

That is all

17 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

Not only are we going to relive the 1990's, we're going to relive the 1970's as well!

Exclusive: The Democratic National Committee Has Told the FBI It Found Evidence Its HQ Was Bugged

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/11/dnc-told-fbi-it-may-have-been-bugged

Methinks it was the FBI itself that bugged the DNC especially given the rogue elements that have infiltrated the organization.

I would put nothing past these people.

• Love 14

See, I don't think Hillary lies any more than just about any other politician.  I'm sure Obama has lied.  Sometimes Presidents have to lie.  They can't tell us everything because then our "enemies" would know everything.

I completely believe that Hillary will be as honest with the poplace as she can.  Similarly, I believe she'll bend over backwards not to cause/create scandals, but of course the Reps will see scandal everywhere.  That's what's going to be  real problem.  It was bad enough we had a congress that obstructed and opposed Obama at every instance. When Hillary wins, I expect that at least a decent number of Congressmen will be accusing her of treason and/or calling for impeachment on a monthly basis 

• Love 22
4 hours ago, clb1016 said:

I check 538 way too often and checked PEC a short while ago, and I realize that CNN is just trying to keep the horserace aspect going for ratings purposes.  But it kills me that the race is close enough for them to do that.  Hillary should be winning in a landslide, coasting to the finish line

Yeah, I need to quit visiting 538.  It's warping my fragile little mind.

• Love 1
12 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

See, I don't think Hillary lies any more than just about any other politician.  I'm sure Obama has lied.  Sometimes Presidents have to lie.  They can't tell us everything because then our "enemies" would know everything.

According to fact-checkers, she's actually more honest than almost any other politician. 

• Love 19
14 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

I completely believe that Hillary will be as honest with the poplace as she can.  Similarly, I believe she'll bend over backwards not to cause/create scandals, but of course the Reps will see scandal everywhere.  That's what's going to be  real problem.  It was bad enough we had a congress that obstructed and opposed Obama at every instance. When Hillary wins, I expect that at least a decent number of Congressmen will be accusing her of treason and/or calling for impeachment on a monthly basis 

There was an article awhile back, possibly from the Huffington Post(?), that used data and facts comparing Hillary to other politicians on a lot of the concerns she is accused of. They pointed out how President Obama has actually been super secretive, yet Hillary is also attacked for that. And I support much of what President Obama has done, but good arguments were made in the article.

Edited: And Pixel beat me to the point about honesty, which was also discussed in this same article. So yeah - Hillary being super "awful" in all these areas is bullshit.

Edited by VMepicgrl
  • Love 8
29 minutes ago, Hanahope said:

Oh, I'm sure that wasn't on purpose at all.

Totally agree--the ballot printer/writer must be a Trump follower. I just love the irony of it happening in the same state where she was once First Lady before becoming FLOTUS.

• Love 1

Whelp, I overcame my superstition about donating money to give Hillary another $25.  I'm surprised I haven't given to more candidates this cycle, just to Hillary and Maggie Hassan.  I always worry doing it will doom them.

I'm normally a very rational person.

• Love 9

It's entirely irrelevant that Hillary is or is not a liar or duplicitous or untrustworthy.  The truth of it has literally no bearing on the matter.  Those who need to believe that she is "other" and those who want to believe she is somehow not worthy, will believe just that.  We're post-facts here, folks. 
Blogs, biased cable networks, right wing radio, and internet hate simply produce propaganda that is fed upon.  Donald Trump could be found objectively guilty of all that is being charged of him, including ties to Russian espionage and debts to Russian banks... and it wouldn't matter.  The facts don't matter to the people who find him appealing.
At this stage there is nothing to gain by pointing out Hillary is actually better than most people let themselves believe, and he's far worse than had been proven up to now.  Nobody cares, and nobody will be swayed.  The majority of his base electorate would vote for Putin to add "POTUS" to his title along with leader of Russia rather than vote for Hillary.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

There were some news stories before the primaries eight years ago saying that the Supreme Court would have to sign off on her being seated if she won, and this was coming from prominent Democrats characterizing her as just having been First Lady. It comes down to whether you're looking at the letter of the law, or its spirit.

Oh FFS! Yes, she went in there as a FLOTUS who was going to get shit done and work along side her husband, but she got smacked down and kept a fairly traditional role after that.

• Love 11

I don't know why I didn't post this here-since I'm SURE there are others who agree with me...and that is that I think Hillary's campaign manager, Robby Mook to be such an adorable cutie!??? I said this elsewhere, but I just want to put him in my pocket and take him out every 10 seconds to just hug him and squeeze him and love ❤️ him and call him George.

What?

• Love 11
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I don't know why I didn't post this here-since I'm SURE there are others who agree with me...and that is that I think Hillary's campaign manager, Robby Mook to be such an adorable cutie!??? I said this elsewhere, but I just want to put him in my pocket and take him out every 10 seconds to just hug him and squeeze him and love ❤️ him and call him George.

What?

I'd recommend you lay off the Kool-aid, but yeah, he's a cutie.Optimized-robby.jpg

• Love 2

Jon Ralston, who's a reporter from Politico has been tracking early voting in Nevada.

Today more than 50K people voted in Clark County, which is a record, with heavy turnout in Latino areas.  He mentions one precinct located in a Mexican grocery that had its hours extended until 10PM with over a thousand people on line.  I think he may just have declared Hillary the winner of NV.

• Love 14

Just because Hillary was a smart, capable, strong woman who was married to the man who won the presidency, she wasn't President. Michelle Obama is the same way, so was Nancy Reagan. Were they "basically President"? Or are we just judging Hillary a bit harsher than first ladies who wear pretty dresses while getting shit done?

Not even Eleanor Roosevelt who said she was her husband's legs, nor Edith Wilson who acted as the go between when her husband had a debilitating stroke *was* president. You have to be nominated, elected, sworn in, and get paid. None of these women fit any of that. In fact, the "First Lady" moniker is a national nickname and is not a paid position, nor does it really demand anything of the person or require them to do anything.

• Love 15
11 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

Not even Eleanor Roosevelt who said she was her husband's legs, nor Edith Wilson who acted as the go between when her husband had a debilitating stroke *was* president.

Exactly. I was just going with two in the most recent memory so no one could say "that was then, this is now." Eleanor Roosevelt is such a great example. 

• Love 3

A sudden very sobering moment came while watching the Bill Maher show tonight. He is worried about this election and he's never been worried before. What he said actually switched on a light bulb in my head. He said that this whole election has been devised and well planned out within the Republican party to be a coup.  Yes he said it a 'coup'. The involvement of the FBI, Brietbart news, Fox news, and all the turncoat Republican former candidates like Cruz, Rubio, Paul Ryan. Then there's the illegal invasion of private emails and the obvious intrusion of Russia into our election. It adds up.

The goal of the Republicans has been to 'tear it down', to revive the hatred. "What do we hate??!! We hate blacks!! We hate Mexicans!! We hate Muslims!! We hate government!! We hate Hillary!!". Their solutions to every problem is to negatively affect the lives of others in order to make America, White Christian again.

I think they are realizing that they can't win this country through hatred, and once Trump is defeated the 'new' Republicans will take over and it will be okay for a while, at least for four years. Maybe we'll see a Republican Party emerge that isn't filled with hatred, or at least less of it.

• Love 10
8 minutes ago, HumblePi said:

He said that this whole election has been devised and well planned out within the Republican party to be a coup.  Yes he said it a 'coup'.

It's not been well-planned.  It's been a circus.  Comey should've indicted Secretary Clinton, if it were a coup.  They'd have faked emails as evidence they can vigorously point to and parade. 
It does, however, smack of 3rd world politics and an empire in decline, however.

• Love 6

I think he's just panicking at the last minute. I still feel okay, but I can understand. We're getting there and the shit Hillary has had to face has been unbelievable. It's crazy. She had to face down not just Trump, but Russia and the FBI? How nuts is this?

• Love 9
Just now, Landsnark said:

It's not been well-planned.  It's been a circus.  Comey should've indicted Secretary Clinton, if it were a coup.  They'd have faked emails as evidence they can vigorously point to and parade. 
It does, however, smack of 3rd world politics and an empire in decline, however.

They really didn't have to fake emails did they? The haters were led by their noses to believe that the "30,000 deleted and bleached" emails were sinister, and treasonous, worthy of getting arrested for crimes against the government and putting her in jail. It doesn't matter whether Comey found nothing at all, the seed of suspicion was planted and it grew ginormously.  The FBI found nothing, absolutely nothing. But still the message has been permanently implanted in their minds that she's a corrupt politician with secret emails. They have lied and backpedaled and they have saved the email trick to carry over into her presidency to use whenever they want to stir the pot again.  They can't actually fake emails that would do her damage because they'd have to show them.

• Love 8

Yeah. One of the emails had Hillary asking Huma about India's greatest Bollywood star evah (in my oh very humble and honest opinion), Amitabh Bachchan. As if it were something ominous. The man is now 74 years old. But apparently Huma had told Hillary about him. 

I'm pretty sure that Hillary knew of him when she was First Lady and she and Bill went to India, because he was still HUGE and a household name back then.

Jeebus Fucking Cripes.

ETA: He still is a household name.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 4

It would be amazing if record-breaking Hispanic turnout is what crushes Trump in states like Florida, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, etc. That will be the story of the election for sure. Especially because these voters have been historically hard to poll, so it could be a huge hidden vote factor for Hillary.

• Love 18
28 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Bill Maher is an idiot.

A drunken idiot.  :)  But I will say, he hit the nail on the head when he said that Romney or McCain wouldn't have changed his life, that they were honourable men, but that this is entirely different.

• Love 15

If Trump ascends into power, businesses will lose TRILLIONS in expected profits world wide.  The stock market will recede like Kellyann Conway's gums.
There is a very large, well-known social media company based in Silicon Valley that has been looking at 2017 as a year for outrageous, exponential growth.  Plans are set, BUT, they can't get budgets past finance because of the market's downturn during the last 60 days... due to Trump.
This isn't something that would happen if there was a conspiracy for white guys to become rich.  Also, Trump's inner circle isn't clever enough to order lunch, let alone manipulate the earth.   And, there are 3 iterations of idiots who have commanded his campaign strategy.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, ruby24 said:

It would be amazing if record-breaking Hispanic turnout is what crushes Trump in states like Florida, Arizona, Nevada, Colorado, etc. That will be the story of the election for sure. Especially because these voters have been historically hard to poll, so it could be a huge hidden vote factor for Hillary.

It will be. Hillary Clinton is going to win this election because millions of Hispanic-Americans would not stand by while that tangerine terror spewed vicious slurs and hate. This is Hillary Clinton, who America has been conditioned to suspect and revile for almost thirty years, and she's still going to win.

But it looks like African-Americans and millennials are doing their part too, at least according to early voting figures in Florida and North Carolina.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 22
31 minutes ago, Danny Franks said:

It will be. Hillary Clinton is going to win this election because millions of Hispanic-Americans would not stand by while that tangerine terror spewed vicious slurs and hate. This is Hillary Clinton, who America has been conditioned to suspect and revile for almost thirty years, and she's still going to win.

But it looks like African-Americans and millennials are doing their part too, at least according to early voting figures in Florida and North Carolina.

Exactly.  If (please God, when) Trump loses this election, he will have been defeated by the people for whom he has such disdain:  people of color and women.

• Love 17

I don't think it's been well planned but, I do think these idiots tried to stage a coup. I think the FBI deliberately tried to throw the election to Trump and that's 100% wrong. As individuals each member of the FBI, CIA, NSA are entitled to support whichever candidate they prefer. What they are NOT allowed/Supposed to do is use their title/position to influence the race towards their preferred candidate.

The FBI scares me right now and, there needs to be a culling of the Agents who were deliberately leaking information this close to the election.

I don't think the Republicans will exit this election in a better place. I think it'll get worse. The Tea Party was the start but Trump has taken it much further to the right wing extreme. The Party of Lincoln has turned into the Neo Nazi Party. The crazy/Fringe elements have control and moderate or Fiscal Republicans (like Ryan) are going to find themselves out of power very soon. 

• Love 13