Type keyword(s) to search

Hillary Rodham Clinton: 2016 Democratic Presidential Nominee

3 minutes ago, callmebetty said:

I know it might be corny

No more corny that "One Moment in Time."  Good pick.

ETA:   "Goodbye to You" is for Trump.

Edited by starri
  • Love 4

I'm really feeling Yorktown (The World Turned Upside Down) from Hamilton. I even want to change Hercules Mulligan's part to "Hillary Clinton - I need no introduction, when you knock me down I get the fuck back up again!" because yeah, she does! The song describing a hard fought battle and then the cries of "we won!" at the end. It's all so fitting.

• Love 8
7 minutes ago, ChromaKelly said:

I'm really feeling Yorktown (The World Turned Upside Down) from Hamilton. I even want to change Hercules Mulligan's part to "Hillary Clinton - I need no introduction, when you knock me down I get the fuck back up again!" because yeah, she does! The song describing a hard fought battle and then the cries of "we won!" at the end. It's all so fitting.

I stand second to no one in my love for "Hamilton"; I've seen it 8 times (so far), but if Hillary wins we need a new song.  Don't forget that the founding fathers believed only white male landowners should have the right to vote, so we've come a long way in ways both good (more diversity) and bad (OMG, just look at this election).

• Love 5
6 hours ago, ChromaKelly said:

That's the song I was going to suggest until I got to your post and saw you beat me to it.

PEC still has her at 312 electoral votes with an 80% chance of the Senate going blue.  This is going to be a long three days.

clb1016:

I stand second to no one in my love for "Hamilton"; I've seen it 8 times (so far), but if Hillary wins we need a new song.  Don't forget that the founding fathers believed only white male landowners should have the right to vote, so we've come a long way in ways both good (more diversity) and bad (OMG, just look at this election).

8 times?  We, in this house, are jealous of anyone who got to see it once!  :)   I understand what you are saying, but given what Alexander and Angelica's relationship was rumored to be like (intellectually), what his thoughts were on slavery and what Eliza accomplished after he died, I like to think that the women in his life would have had him seeing the light much earlier than the other men he worked with.  Although, I don't know much about early American history, so I could be way off base.   At least the lyrics "When you knock me down, I get the f*** back up again!" and "The world turned upside down.  We won! We won!"  will be appropriate. 

Edited by Shannon L.
Gave credit to the wrong person for the second quote
  • Love 7
5 minutes ago, caracas1914 said:

I still say that Etta James "At last" worked for Obama and it also works for Hillary.

I can't imagine Hillary and Bill dancing like they were in love like the Obamas did to that song.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, caracas1914 said:

I still say that Etta James "At last" worked for Obama and it also works for Hillary.

Actually, I needed a song for him.  Perfect.

2 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I can't imagine Hillary and Bill dancing like they were in love like the Obamas did to that song.

I don't speculate on what their marriage is like behind closed doors, but they're a good team.  They respect and have affection for each other, and that's enough.

1 minute ago, BoogieBurns said:

@starri Which convention was that in the video?

2008.  She was a champ at being gracious.  It's stuck with me ever since.  There's a big statue of Harriet Tubman on Frederick Douglass Blvd near where I used to live in Harlem, and I always thought of that quote when I would walk past it.

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, BoogieBurns said:

Please tell me they called it a "Rally in Raleigh"? My marketing brain can't have it any other way. 

Nope, just Get Out the Vote, but I also wondered who could miss "Rally in Raleigh"?

• Love 3

Due to work I finished my last day of campaigning today and I can tell you it's a lot more socially acceptable to be misogynistic than it is to be racist.

I certainly don't miss the coded language for the racism.

Either way fuck the right see you in four years to see what sewer dweller you nominate and I'll be there to see you don't win!

• Love 20
1 hour ago, starri said:

I don't speculate on what their marriage is like behind closed doors, but they're a good team.  They respect and have affection for each other, and that's enough.

Agreed.  But I hope they pick their own damn song.  Not the Obamas'.

Edited by Ohwell
Just now, Ohwell said:

Agreed.  But I hope they pick their own damn song.  Not the Obama's.

I doubt they would even consider it.

I'm leaning more towards Great American Songbook for them.  Ella Fitzgerald doing "Time After Time" comes to mind.

• Love 3
On 11/4/2016 at 8:22 PM, BoogieBurns said:

She was the First Lady. Full stop. We are done talking in circles. We have 4 days left of this 2 year election and her role in the first Clinton White House is a discussion we can leave in 1999.

Ordinarily, I would have considered the 90's to be ancient history, but Clinton and her campaign haven't wrt to her opponent, so it seemed fair. I can certainly accept the premise that being more than a First Lady was a fraud, something designed to garner support from those who'd have preferred a female President, but would equally get behind what she was claiming.

I can't even express how ecstatic and excited I am about the James Comey letter and END to this witch hunt of Hillary's emails. This breaking news is HUGE or 'YUGE' as Donald would say. "It's the biggest news story in months, maybe in our lifetime. It's amazing and incredible and the best news ever in the age of modern politics!".  That's only my imitation of Donald. But no kidding, this is absolutely the best news any of us could hear today. This is going to be a big game changer, I'm certain of it. The emails were the only thing that Republicans had hanging over her head and his supporters always read 'sinister and illegal' about them. Now they have all been proven absolutely wrong and finally there's an end to the email bullshit and it will NOT follow her into her Presidency.

• Love 8

He never had to send this letter at all, though! That's what pisses me off. There was nothing there, they completed this review in a week!

It's so ridiculous. I just don't want it to have done any damage already. I'm relieved it won't follow her into presidency of course, but I just hate the fact that it robbed her in some ways of a meaningful uplifting final week, and cast any kind of a shadow over her at all. How do we know the Senate majority couldn't have been bigger, she could have turned toward a huge landslide, etc.

Maybe that will all still happen, but the media really bares a lot of responsibility for their hysteria over this. I just saw that virtually all the emails were duplicates or personal. I mean for FUCK'S sake!

• Love 20
44 minutes ago, starri said:

That split screen grab makes me want to puke.  They had one where Obama was yakking standing by The Beast - and the steps were sitting against tRump's plane.  Those things should have never happened in split screen, ever.  Not in the history of this country, and I'll be bitter towards all the people that brought it about for a very long time.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2016 at 0:17 PM, stewedsquash said:

I understand that this is the Hillary thread. I posted the link in this thread because of the direct discussion above my post about Trump mocking a disabled reporter. I wanted to put some context out there because I was moved by @BW Manilowe point that they are disabled and the reporting of Trump mocking a disabled reporter bothered them. If a mod wants to move the link to the Trump thread, cool. 

Re Cubans for Trump discussion:

@ari333 I know you like links but I don't have it for this. During Trump's speech today in Florida someone in the audience was holding a sign when he went to pick up a microphone on the floor (which he made some funny remarks about, better for the Trump thread) and saw a sign in the crowd. He said let me see that sign. They passed it to him and it said Cuban Women For Trump. Feel free to comment in Trump's thread. Don't want to derail the discussion. 

Thanks. I'm not the Ari who needs links. Maybe someone else? (I cant open them half the time anyway). :-)

I asked another non-Cuban Latino about it and he said "they'll wish they(Cubans) had  voted for Hillary after tRump screws them out of whatever he's promised them to get their votes. "

I heard the end of the news and Hillary was ahead... by how much IDK or whatever that means, but GOOD!

Edit to add: I do realize that not all Cubans are the same. of course.

• Love 3

While I'm pissed at the FBI and Comey for starting this stupidity again for nothing and am too cynical to expect that this will make people STFU forever about those stupid emails, I hope that this will be a good thing in the long run

• Love 6
2 hours ago, bosawks said:

Due to work I finished my last day of campaigning today and I can tell you it's a lot more socially acceptable to be misogynistic than it is to be racist.

I certainly don't miss the coded language for the racism.

Either way fuck the right see you in four years to see what sewer dweller you nominate and I'll be there to see you don't win!

In the best of times, campaigners are treated less than graciously.  This year?  I can only imagine how vile some of the comments you faced.

Thank you.

• Love 10
2 hours ago, HumblePi said:

I can't even express how ecstatic and excited I am about the James Comey letter and END to this witch hunt of Hillary's emails. This breaking news is HUGE or 'YUGE' as Donald would say. "It's the biggest news story in months, maybe in our lifetime. It's amazing and incredible and the best news ever in the age of modern politics!".  That's only my imitation of Donald. But no kidding, this is absolutely the best news any of us could hear today. This is going to be a big game changer, I'm certain of it. The emails were the only thing that Republicans had hanging over her head and his supporters always read 'sinister and illegal' about them. Now they have all been proven absolutely wrong and finally there's an end to the email bullshit and it will NOT follow her into her Presidency.

I agree. I need to get over my anger over what he did and get in touch with the relief!  I never thought they would have ANY further announcement before the election (yes, giving Trump the ongoing talking point about her likely "impeachment" and "Constitutional crisis").

But now I realize he could have finished and said they found something newly DAMAGING in the email--whether or not subsequent investigations would bear that out!

So...yes...this news won't spread fast or well, but, still, there's cause for relief!!! It's been a bad nine days--but maybe this will help motivate a few more to support her Tuesday that were going to switch (assuming they hear the news).

Lots and lots of relief!!!!

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, dougfir said:

Opinion piece by David Brooks extolling Hillary's skills at governing and getting things done.  Brooks is a conservative, but he's a conservative who "gets it" and hasn't chugged the Orange Kool-Aid.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/04/opinion/the-banality-of-change.html?_r=0

If the Republicans want to take back their party and build a new, then they will put a muzzle on Chaffetz, Gowdy and Cruz, it's as simple as that. Sorry to say but McCain is acting like a punk because he's desperate. But he and Lindsey Graham know damn well they are on record admitting that Hillary is good to work with because they've done it, they've worked with her on an issue or two, back before the republicans let the Cruz's and Gowdy's into their party whose main goal was to obliterate government. No, they don't want to make it smaller, they want to wipe it out.  So if they want their party back in working order they have to give up on any of their voters who don't even like to see them having conversations with democrats, that shit is ridiculous.

Edited by Keepitmoving
  • Love 15

I lost whatever respect I had left for McCain when he just rolled over and took Cheeto's horrible remarks about POWs. I'd love to see him lose his Senate race but the polls are indicating otherwise :P

• Love 21

USA TODAY Op-Ed by Hillary, making the case for why you should vote for her.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2016/11/06/hillary-clinton-vote--for-me-election-day-column/93400038/

There's also 1 by Trump (at least written in his name), which I'm sure is in the interest of fairness, & which I'm linking to in his thread (but I'm still solidly with her).

Edited by BW Manilowe
To add some info.
  • Love 3
13 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Apparently the Republican leadership is still insisting there is something there and the FBI is still investigating these emails.

Isn't "Republican leadership" an oxymoron?

• Love 24
7 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Apparently the Republican leadership is still insisting there is something there and the FBI is still investigating these emails.

yes, I heard Jason Chaffetz on CNN talking about how there was still some wrongdoing because she was careless, and compromised national security and blah blah blah. BUT, unless Jason Chaffetz wants to go head-to-head with the Justice Department and the FBI, then he better STFU. His head will roll in his Utah election if he's not careful. The FBI is no longer investigating and that comes directly from James Comey. 

Now Rudy Giuliani is going to be in the hot seat because Representatives Elijah Cummings and John Conyers Jr both sent a letter to Inspector General Michael Horowitz requesting an investigation be open into the interference of Rudy Giuliani. They accuse him of laundering information obtained from retired FBI agents who received information about Comey reopening the investigation of her emails from current FBI agents. Giuliani gloated about this two days before Comey made his announcement 10 days ago. I would love to see Giuliani pay for this.

• Love 15
1 hour ago, BW Manilowe said:

The lineup--besides the Clinton family--for her final rally in Philadelphia on Monday is POTUS, FLOTUS, Springsteen & Jon Bon Jovi.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/06/hillary-clinton-bon-jovi-bruce-springsteen-final-rally?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

And Kelly Anne Conway says that all these stars endorsing Hillary is another attempt at "rigging"  the election. 

Don't ask me to explain her  reasoning -  it's desperation, not logic. 

• Love 15
4 hours ago, HumblePi said:

I wish the e-mail BS would not follow her into the presidency, but I'm afraid it will. The Republicans in Congress are going to keep pounding on her about it, relentlessly seeking some excuse to impeach her and/or "lock her up." Unfortunately, it looks as if the FBI is so corrupt that they will help do it. The damage Trump has done during this campaign is horrific, not only to Hillary but to the institutions Americans thought they could trust.

That [words too vile to type!] James Comey! If the FBI staff could work so hard that they could make their way through all the "new" e-mails in such a short time, and verify that they were all just duplicates, then why couldn't he have had his staff do all that hard fast work BEFORE he decided to take it upon himself to write a letter to Congress implicating Hillary of wrongdoing? Well, I don't know why I'm even asking that question; obviously he went off half-cocked in order to hurt her chances of winning. It might have worked; the damage is done, no matter what lame-ass excuses he makes now.

Edited by Coffeecup
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Coffeecup said:

I wish the e-mail BS would not follow her into the presidency, but I'm afraid it will. The Republicans in Congress are going to keep pounding on her about it, relentlessly seeking some excuse to impeach her and/or "lock her up." Unfortunately, it looks as if the FBI is so corrupt that they will help do it. The damage Trump has done during this campaign is horrific, not only to Hillary but to the institutions Americans thought they could trust.

That [words too vile to type!] James Comey! If the FBI staff could work so hard that they could make their way through all the "new" e-mails in such a short time, and verify that they were all just duplicates, then why couldn't he have had his staff do all that hard fast work BEFORE he decided to take it upon himself to write a letter to Congress implicating Hillary of wrongdoing? Well, I don't know why I'm even asking that question; obviously he did to diminish her chances of winning. It might have worked; the damage is done, no matter what lame-ass excuses he makes now.

I think that in one way this has been good. This has fully exposed those dirty Republicans that have conspired to prevent Hillary Clinton from winning this election. I have no doubt that once she's sworn into office on January 20th that there will be retributions coming for many of these scoundrels and heretics within the FBI and Congress. She's been taking names I'm sure and those people are shitting their pants today dreading the fact that she's going to win on Tuesday and they're day of reckoning is coming. The first head I want to see rolling down the road is Rudy Giuliani's.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, ABitOFluff said:

Well, I just RSVP'd to rally with Hillary in Raleigh at midnight on Tuesday. Waiting to see if I get a ticket.

OMG, I want to go! Been hearing about this the last two days. I bet the energy in there will be electric.

• Love 2
8 hours ago, starri said:

Actually, I needed a song for him.  Perfect.

2008.  She was a champ at being gracious.  It's stuck with me ever since.  There's a big statue of Harriet Tubman on Frederick Douglass Blvd near where I used to live in Harlem, and I always thought of that quote when I would walk past it.

My impression, for what it's worth, is that there is mutual affection and respect there.  I think that, at this point in life, Bill realizes that she's put up with a lot of shit, and that he may not really deserve the level of grace she's shown him, publicly or privately.  I know he's a skilled speaker and all, but I bought his DNC speech.  I think that while he clearly strayed over the years, she's the one woman he's always had the highest level of respect for, in terms of her intelligence and her drive.  

Edited by KerleyQ
  • Love 11
2 hours ago, BW Manilowe said:

The lineup--besides the Clinton family--for her final rally in Philadelphia on Monday is POTUS, FLOTUS, Springsteen & Jon Bon Jovi.

http://www.ew.com/article/2016/11/06/hillary-clinton-bon-jovi-bruce-springsteen-final-rally?xid=entertainment-weekly_socialflow_twitter

Chris Christie must be seething with jealousy. If only the Boss would go low and give Christie the finger and tell him to fuck himself.

• Love 13
28 minutes ago, KerleyQ said:

My impression, for what it's worth, is that there is mutual affection and respect there.  I think that, at this point in life, Bill realizes that she's put up with a lot of shit, and that he may not really deserve the level of grace she's shown him, publicly or privately.  I know he's a skilled speaker and all, but I bought his DNC speech.  I think that while he clearly strayed over the years, she's the one woman he's always had the highest level of respect for, in terms of her intelligence and her drive.  

Do you think it's romantic anymore though? Or was all that crushed by the Lewinsky affair? Sorry, I know this is irrelevant, but sometimes I do wonder and can't help but speculate about that.

To me, that's the only thing that's kind of mysterious about Hillary. Other people have all these suspicions about her that I don't share at all. I think we know who she is. If there's any mystery to her, for me it's the Bill factor. I can't help but wonder how she tolerated so much betrayal from him over the years, especially knowing how strong she is. She doesn't seem like someone who'd put up with it, yet she did. Did she really forgive him over and over again...or did that part of their marriage end years ago? It doesn't bother me either way, but I do wonder.

Edited by ruby24
  • Love 3