Type keyword(s) to search

Hillary Rodham Clinton: 2016 Democratic Presidential Nominee

Since this is for Off Topic Politics, I thought I would start a thread for the next POTUS, the first non-fictional Madame President.   I'm with her. 

I participated for years in a political forum that has become a disaster because the real Republicans have dropped out.  They're not supporting Drumpf, so the only ones left are the deplorables who are the equivalent of trolls, endlessly quoting Breitbart and other such garbage sites, and impervious to reason. 

• Love 16
15 minutes ago, LotusFlower said:

Don't jinx it!!  Next you're going to start a thread about the World Champion Cubs!

I live in Chicagoland, about two miles from where HRC started high school at Maine East,  I knew 3 people who went to high school with her at Maine South.  One is deceased, one lives in an assisted living facility, and the other lives in Woodstock.   She's going to be the next POTUS.  I don't feel like I'm tempting fate.  Her opponent is doing everything in his power to make sure she gets elected, and even trying now to get her a majority of Dems in the Senate and the House.  I wouldn't start a thread about the World Champion Cubs because I'm old enough to know that would unfortunately never happen, and I don't want the Ricketts to make another cent.  They support Drumpf.

• Love 10

I've never figured out what's behind the real hatred people have for Hillary Clinton.  

Right off the bat, how can you have that much emotion about someone you haven't met? 

• Love 24
26 minutes ago, mojoween said:

However.  I'm legitimately with her.  Bill Clinton was the first president I was old enough to vote for and I did happily, twice.  'Course, I'm probably not the most impartial person as I also voted for Gore and Kerry and my beloved Obama.

We must be very close in age. My birthday is this month. As a senior in high school, I registered to vote early in 1992 so I could vote for Bill Clinton in the November election. I did so proudly. My folks were horrified.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 13

I will be 43 on Halloween.  We were able to register to vote in a civics class when I was a senior in high school in '91 as long as we were going to be 18 on Election Day '92.

My parents are card-carrying republicans and if they weren't both in the delivery room when I was born they would be convinced I am adopted because we agree on NOTHING.  I am the political black sheep in this family. 

I still do not understand the ire HRC got about universal health care and why the ACA is supposedly the worst thing to ever happen to this country.  I remember when she went up against the senate in the nineties and how awful they were.

Edited by mojoween
  • Love 22
1 hour ago, lordonia said:

This lengthy Facebook post went viral last June, but is perhaps worth re-posting -- a defense of Hillary by Michael Arnovitz. He suggests that misogyny is what underlies the hatred directed at HRC.

I'm pretty certain this is the reason for the hatred just based on some of my personal interactions and going by my Facebook feed.

I have plenty of Republican friends and in past elections it hasn't bothered me knowing they think so differently from me and would vote differently from me. I mean, what would the world be if we were all the same? But for some reason, I'm really struggling with this election and knowing that some of my friends are voting for Trump.

#imwithher

• Love 22

I'm 51 but did not vote until 1992 because I was completely disinterested until that point (my first federal election would have been 1984 and oh did I despise Reagan but I was away at college and didn't know I could request an absentee ballot).  It was Bill Clinton who helped me fall in love with politics and the political process and while Hillary is not my ideal candidate I am happily voting for her in November.  Generally speaking I vote a straight party line ticket because Democrats tend to be in line with my personal beliefs and what I consider to be important.  I am terrified of what could be if that asshole somehow wins the election, and in a way even more frightened by the people I know who are voting for him.  Party affiliation aside can't they see what a loose cannon he is?

• Love 8
2 hours ago, mojoween said:

I still do not understand the ire HRC got about universal health care and why the ACA is supposedly the worst thing to ever happen to this country.  I remember when she went up against the senate in the nineties and how awful they were.

It's not perfect and insurance companies being allowed to drop out is a concern, but I have a Marketplace health plan (with a $32 premium after subsidies) and would previously have been completely uninsurable due to pre-existing conditions. I am VERY grateful to have been given this option. I'll be forced to start Medicare next month and my healthcare costs will increase from around $100/month on Marketplace to $400/month.

I understand some of the critiques about HRC and agree she can be robotic and is too much of a Beltway insider. I was personally angry about her VP choice because I really hoped she would have gone against the grain of conventional thinking and galvanized her campaign with a vibrant choice. I've also had to make my peace with her as a political strategist, willing to bend with the prevailing wind on many issues. BUT. I also believe she genuinely has pure motives for seeking the job, in that she wants to effect (her version of) positive change. She isn't in it solely for the ego boost.

2 hours ago, MyAimIsTrue said:

Party affiliation aside can't they see what a loose cannon he is?

On one of the unending "interview with Trump supporter" news pieces, a 60-ish woman in the Midwest said, "I'm voting the conservative ticket. In this case it's that asshole Trump." Okay. That I can at least understand.

Edited by lordonia
  • Love 6
20 minutes ago, lordonia said:

On one of the unending "interview with Trump supporter" news pieces, a 60-ish woman in the Midwest said, "I'm voting the conservative ticket. In this case it's that asshole Trump." Okay. That I can at least understand.

Most religious conservatives I know and interact with will vote for Trump because he's anti-abortion. Hillary is killing babies, don't you know. I am so with Hillary. I was really hoping for Bernie Sanders, so Hillary was my second choice. After watching the debates and how well Hillary has handled herself, I'm so WITH HER, instead of with her. The alternative absolutely terrifies me.

• Love 17

I find nothing more annoying than the excuse that the only reason anyone could hate Hillary is because she is a woman. Her gender has nothing to do with why so many people hate her. Had Kristin Gillibrand, Claire McCaskill, Amy Klobuchar, or Elizabeth Warren run instead of Hillary, none of them would have the worst trustworthy #s in history or the 2nd worst approval numbers of all time. People hate Hillary because she is a compulsive liar who lies about things big and small from her multiple email lies, her NAFTA lies, her lies on child refugees from Central America, the bankruptcy bill she voted for, Bosnia Sniper Fire, her name, her father's non-existent scholarship, her grandparents' immigration history, etc. She lies all the time and I find it insulting. 

She also has terrible foreign policy judgment. From backing the Iraq War to not wanting to negotiate with Iran (back in the Obama/Hillary primary) to her wanting to arm rebels in Syria before we knew who to side with to a no-fly zone in Syria to her half-assed Libya intervention. She has terrible judgment.

Her crappy record of accomplishments. She has a great PR team but there is a reason she has run for president twice now on the accomplishments of other people. In her first run, she ran on many of her husband's work on the Irish Peace Treaty along with other items that she had nothing to do with. She got called out by everyone from Chris Dodd to John Rockafeller to Ted Kennedy to George Mitchell for exaggerating her role and stealing credit from their work. As a Senator, she was the sponor on 3 bills that passed. She was a co-sponsor on many things but that meant other Senators did the heavy lifting and she took the credit. Obama got more done in 1/2 the time of her in the Senate yet she called him inexperienced. As SOS, she was average at best with few real accomplishments. She failed at a climate deal. She failed at getting the Iran Deal done. She ignored Latin America for the most part but managed to help an illegal coup in Honduras against Obama's orders. 

But, what I really hate about her is that she ran one of the most racist and ugly campaigns I've ever seen against Obama. Her campaign called him a drug dealer, implied he was unAmerican and a Muslim. She played on fears that he was an innercity gun grabber. She was called out by almost everyone in the Democratic Party for her campaign's disgusting rhetoric towards the Obamas'. She then tried to cheat her way into the nomination by getting MI/FL delegates seated and had to be convinced to actually concede by a group of elder AA statesmen. The Obamas have obviously forgiven her for it but I am a firm believer in the saying that you see the real character of someone when they are at their lowest moments. Hillary showed her true character when she lost the primary to Obama and it was ugly.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, atomationage said:

She's going to be the next POTUS.  I don't feel like I'm tempting fate.

You want to tempt the wrath of the whatever from high atop the thing? Go outside, turn around three times and spit. What the hell's the matter with you?

I've voted for Hillary both times she ran for the Senate (primary and general election) and in both the 2008 and 2016 presidential primaries, so , yeah, I guess I'll vote for her in November.

• Love 10
1 hour ago, ruby24 said:

That year I was so pro-Obama that I remember hating Hillary during the primaries, but it wasn't for any rational reason so much, I was just caught up in the race.

I can only assume that's the reason so many Bernie supporters are against her -- no rational reason? They're all, I assume, liberals who should rightly find Trump's policies abhorrent, even if they dislike HRC's personality and find her policies lacking.

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, atomationage said:

Hillary campaigned for Obama after losing the nomination. 

and a joint interview with the 44th POTUS on 60 Minutes:

She only campaigned for him after her attempt to steal the nomination from him didn't work. Thank God for Howard Dean who stopped Hillary's team from trying to cheat their way to the nomination against Obama. 

As for Obama campaigning for her now, he's always been a better person than she is. Doesn't change the fact that she ran one of the most racist campaigns in history against him.

I am just bitter than we are going to be stuck with such a mediocre person as the first female president. Obama was an extraordinary person and president and was a real role model to AAs as the first AA president. Hillary is none of those things. But, because the Republicans nominated the only politician in the country worse than her, I am going to be stuck voting for her in November. And if something should happen to her in office, we'll get stuck with Kaine. As a lifetime member of the Dem party, I am just completely embarassed by the ticket we put forth. From Hope and Change to We Suck Less. Yeah.

Edited by pivot
  • Love 6

Great to see this thread! Thanks! And...me, too. 

I had MSNBC on all evening. I was upsetting. Chris Matthews had the quote from today's rally, Trump saying, "If Hillary is elected, it will be the destruction of our country, believe me." (then repeated it). They showed the woman at Pence's rally saying that if Hllary wins we need a real "revolution". She's on social media all day with others who think the same.

Rachel Maddow had clips from that nutcase Alex Jones (InfoWars) who bellows at his listeners (radio) that Clinton and Obama are, literally, demons, "flies land on them when no one else has flies", etc. He's offering $1000 "bounty" to anyone who show his "Clinton is a Rapist" tshirt at a HRC rally and I think $5000 if you get your voice on air yelling "BC is a rapist!" (very ugly BC pic. He's probably a demon too).   It's working. They showed these fools "demonstrating" at Obama's rally and BCs, disrupting them. Obama laughed at Alex Jones and the demon thing, "He also says we smell like sulphur." I think its scary. Hillary has my great admiration for her guts in facing these people every day.  Apparently they know DT is losing...will lose... but he still keeps telling his supporters the system is "rigged" and the people in "PHiladelphia" are going to steal it from them.

What do you think the day after the election looks like? Everyone seems to think DT and Bannon & Co. have a big plan to make money from bashing the Clintons now, moreso than ever before. So irresponsible because they are not prepared--emotionally or intellectually--to lose. Not sure how they'll deal with it without their hero in the WH.  He'll probably get 50 million votes and half of those are hardcore devotees.  What can be done for them to help them before they do some real damage to the country?

• Love 7
7 hours ago, lordonia said:

This lengthy Facebook post went viral last June, but is perhaps worth re-posting -- a defense of Hillary by Michael Arnovitz. He suggests that misogyny is what underlies the hatred directed at HRC.

It absolutely is worth re-posting (and for anybody who hasn't, absolutely worth reading). Arnovitz is a terrific writer and well worth a FB like to keep up with his regular postings on the campaign. His calm rational pov on so much of the garbage going on has calmed me down many times after I've been spitting nails over the misogyny and sexism directed at Hillary.

• Love 5
16 minutes ago, mojoween said:

My parents are card-carrying republicans and if they weren't both in the delivery room when I was born they would be convinced I am adopted because we agree on NOTHING.  I am the political black sheep in this family. 

Same here, my whole life (except they're both dead now.)  I know my mother would have gone rogue and voted individual over party, but my father was such a devout Republican, I'm actually relieved he's not around for this election, just in case he somehow decided he had to be ride-or-die for the Grand Old Party, no matter what.  I mean, surely not . . . but then again, I've been saying "surely not?!" through the whole campaign, even though the evidence is right there in front of me that my incredulity is naïve.

• Love 8

I am not overly fond of Hillary.  I'm just not.  But when  I match her up against the alternative, yes she will be getting my vote.  I'm petrified of what the country/world will look like under her competitor and his cronies.

I PRAY to God there is no hideous "October Surprise" that will throw the race.   Some sleaze bag claims he is going to drop an atomic bomb on Hillary's campaign and again while not overly fond of her, the other candidate?  God save us.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, lordonia said:

I was personally angry about her VP choice because I really hoped she would have gone against the grain of conventional thinking and galvanized her campaign with a vibrant choice. I've also had to make my peace with her as a political strategist, willing to bend with the prevailing wind on many issues.

My dad and I, who literally could talk politics 24 hours a day, had so many VP arguments before Kaine was announced. More than ANYTHING I wanted Elizabeth Warren, Amy Klobuchar (who I want to adopt me), Cory Booker, Julian Castro, or a left-field surprise like Elijah Cummings. But Dad said, "it's Sherrod Brown or Tim Kaine, and Kaine speaks Spanish and goes to a black church."

I looked more into it once he was picked, and Hillary had a great reason for choosing Kaine. She saw how it was when Gore began to run for president during his final 2+ years as Bill Clinton's VP. Hillary didn't want a VP with Presidential dreams. It caused too much tension in the white house the last time she lived there (Also, watch the West Wing, it's very stressful when your VP is campaigning). Also, Kaine's views on abortion are helping with the suburban women vote. As a Christian liberal, I'm growing to like Kaine. I am still looking forward to the Warren/Booker ticket in the future.

• Love 19

Kaine is going to run for president in 2024. No doubt about it. Hillary picked him because she needed someone with less charisma than her because her ego couldn't stand being upstaged. Warren will also be way too old to run then unfortunately. 

I wish people would stop smearing people who don't like Hillary by calling them sexist. There are hundreds of legitimate reasons to not like Hillary that have nothing to do with her gender which have been outlined over and over again but instead Hillary supporters rely on sexism charges like a crutch.

And today, Hillary shows once again why so many don't like her. She and her allies are already undermining Obama by saying that she'll be better at working across the aisle than Obama was. Obama who is working his ass off to get her elected is once again being stabbed in the back by Hillary. That is why the Clintons suck. Loyality is a one-way street with them.

I think people are going to be surprised by how quickly Hillary's administration sells out Democratic principles once in office. Bill was the best Republican president we had in a generation. He sold out Dems on issue after issue. Hillary will do the same but with a more hawkish foreign policy.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, pivot said:

I think people are going to be surprised by how quickly Hillary's administration sells out Democratic principles once in office. Bill was the best Republican president we had in a generation. He sold out Dems on issue after issue. Hillary will do the same but with a more hawkish foreign policy.

I don't think those that voted for Bernie Sanders will be surprised one wit.  That's why he had such a huge following in the popular vote.

I do think that she won't go too far to the right, at least during her first term.  She does that, she'll lose voters in droves in 2020.

• Love 10
10 minutes ago, pivot said:

And today, Hillary shows once again why so many don't like her. She and her allies are already undermining Obama by saying that she'll be better at working across the aisle than Obama was.

I've read comments she has made about reaching across the aisle, but I haven't seen the one in which she claims she will be better. Have a link or source or something so I can go find it?

• Love 3

Bill and Hillary are really not the same person. I wouldn't be surprised if she were more liberal than Bill, especially on domestic policy.

• Love 21
1 hour ago, candall said:

I first caught sight of HRC decades ago when I ran across one of those novella-length articles in The New Yorker?  Atlantic Monthly? and I was skeptical that The First Lady of Arkansas could really be interesting enough for all that.

But one of the first points was that her graduating class at Wellesley had chosen her to give the commencement address--the first time in the school's history a class had ever picked a fellow student instead of one of the luminaries who would have been honored to accept an invitation from Wellesley.  (I went to Name Brand U. and there's more than a little competitiveness about snagging the most prestigious speakers for commencement.)   Hmm, you have my attention, tell me more. 

Once she was on my radar, I kept noticing odd places where we almost intersected--Alaskan salmon canneries, the Children's Legal Defense Fund, the Bloodworth-Thomasons.  (hee)  It felt like she was MY politician, so I've been watching her closely all these years. 

It's not surprising to me at all that she's powered through ten million obstacles to wind up in position to be POTUS.  She's indisputably brilliant, she seems genuinely concerned about inequity and I could write such a long list of examples where she's worked hard to make things better for people--there's nobody more qualified in the entire world and I can't understand why people REFUSE to see any of that. 

Knee-jerk misogyny aside, the only thing I can think of:  remembering that my closest friend voted Schwarzenegger for governor because she thought it would be fun! to mix things up by putting a non-politician "character" in charge. 

Anyway, I'm very proud of her and I'm sorry that she must feel so battered and discouraged instead of surfing into office on the big tidal wave I believe she deserves.

[Added:  this post was interrupted by a phone call from a friend who mentioned she was going to vote for Hillary "even though she's sneaky."  Sigh, but okay, whatever:  good decision.]

Those are great examples and, much as I pay attention, I didn't know a couple of them. It's sad that THIS is the level of discourse and opposition she has to face as our first woman president. However, having this villain* as an opponent, makes a great HRC story for the history books.

*my Trump rant and below moved elsewhere rather than tarnish Hillary's nice thread!

Edited by Padma
  • Love 11

Hillary's not perfect but she's an excellent candidate for president in her own right imo, and I don't see her as some "lesser of two evils", which I hear a lot of people saying but which I actually think is quite unfair towards her, especially when she's grouped together with someone genuinely despicable and harmful like Trump.  She's intelligent, experienced, qualified, very hard working, a policy wonk, and I believe has a good temperament to be a good leader.  In fact, I would not be surprised if she made a better president than Bill, or if Michelle made a better president than Barack. :P   She may not be the most charismatic or the best communicator according to some, though to me I've never found her that lacking in those respects.  I don't need to elect a charmer.  I want a leader with knowledge and who can get things done.   She reminds me of Merkel, and in fact, I believe, Hillary named Merkel as another current leader she most admired.  Merkel isn't showy, is the leader of a conservative party, but was pretty much the only one who had the balls to enact a progressive policy towards refugees.  I had expected Obama to be more liberal, but in the end, he wasn't as much as I'd hoped.  I think Hillary may actually surprise people and be more liberal than people expect.  She actually has a history of being quite progressive on social issues ahead of her time.  And even the wikileaks speech she gave to bankers at Goldman Sachs, I thought what she said was quite fair.  But in a polarised country like America, maybe you can't veer too much from the centre?  In the past, Hillary's been more hawkish on foreign policy than I would have liked, but tbh, I've found almost all American presidents to be so.  I was always against the Iraq War, but at the time, even people like Powell were making the (unconvincing) case for it at the UN, and if I remember correctly, there were more of the public in support of it than against it at the time in the US, whereas it was the opposite in the UK, and the govt. still went to war.  But I do believe Hillary's learned a hard lesson on Iraq.  Even Obama's made mistakes in foreign policy.  By comparison, Trump's idea of foreign policy is laughable.

I agree with the other poster who said that Hillary isn't more dishonest than any other politician, and I don't really understand why she's perceived as this perpetual liar.  She's not.  Sure, she spins, but not particular more or less than other politicians.  Politifact has her as one of the most truthful politicians out there.  She's been accused of all these 'crimes' by her haters to the extent that they believe she should be jailed, but I find that to be completely outlandish and unwarranted.  I just feel a lot of people's hatred, sadly including a lot of women's, hatred directed towards Hillary isn't rational or rooted in facts.

I'm actually of the demo of younger women who are said to be not so enthusiastic/indifferent at best towards Hillary.  Not sure I understand why, but it makes me sad they aren't cheering her on more.  I'm not saying you have to vote for anyone because they are a woman, but how can anyone not see Hillary's by far a better choice than Trump?

• Love 23

Re: dishonesty. Politifact (independent) rated Hillary as untruthful about 20%, and its usually about herself rather than on issues.  Trump, however, won their "Pants on Fire" prize for the year (when they were just trying to find the worst lie of the campaign--he just had too many! As he says, he's always winning!) His score was 70%+ and there are a lot of whoppers, both about himself and lies about facts.

Hillary's score was about average. His was off the chart.

• Love 10
4 minutes ago, Nidratime said:

Bill and Hillary are really not the same person. I wouldn't be surprised if she were more liberal than Bill, especially on domestic policy.

Yep, Bill is the better politician and a better idea of where the country stood. Or the old Bill had those skills. He hasn't been himself since his heart attack. Hillary is definitely not more liberal than Bill on foreign policy and she sold out a lot of her liberal principles when she got into the WH with Bill from opposition to the death penalty, to backing the welfare reform bill. She did even more when she voted for the bankruptcy bill.

It's not just Bernie voters who are going to be disappointed with Hillary. There has been this delusion that Hillary is going to be more liberal than Obama. That isn't going to happen. Hillary is risk adverse in every way. She would never have come out for gay marriage before re-election. Her emails show that we was even against small pro-gay changes at State. 

The article about Hillary stabbing Obama in the back was about Salazar being named to the transition team and quotes from her allies. Hillary never does her own dirty work.

• Love 1

Might as well declare, since I will definitely be lurking here and possibly dragging out my soapbox now and then!  Glad to see the forum come to fruition.  As everyone posting here knows, Politics, by nature, is a wretched ugly beast.  On every level, it can sidestep civility.  No one's hands are ever clean.  Having accepted that fact over the decades since my idealistically destroyed youth (small half smile), I am very firm in my declaration.

Simply put, I'm With Her. 100%   I'm older than most here but still younger than dirt.   I historically have identified as a left-leaning Independent.  Have always been a solid, social Liberal.  Stubborn and opinionated, too.  Hillary is enormously qualified and experienced to be an educated, strong, formidable and forceful leader.  Relentless in her passions and beliefs for a better country.  My beliefs line right up beside hers.

I do think misogyny is playing a *yuge* part of this campaign.  What used to be couched in subtleties is now being blatantly and ignorantly spewed in the open with little to no accountability for  the *spewers*.   Women have always had to work twice as hard and be twice as criticized in what has traditionally and erroneously been defined as a man's world.  And yet, she is a rock when facing the often disgusting BS launched at her. 

I am not backing her BECAUSE she is a woman.  But it sure makes my soul happy that she is.

• Love 14

I think it's hard to tell how Hillary will be in office. On the one hand, she'll have the usual die-hard Republican opposition that Obama had to face over everything.  On the other hand, she'll have the (now organized and extremely vocal) hatred of the Trumpettes who are not going to be prepared for her to win and will truly believe she "stole" it.  

She'll want to bring the country together so its not exactly time for big liberal moves.

However, she's...let's say "beholden" or "connected closely with" many liberals now, Warren and Sanders among the most prominent, vocal and powerful.  She's not going to be like Obama in ignoring her liberal "base", because she's much closer to them than he was.

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, pivot said:

The article about Hillary stabbing Obama in the back was about Salazar being named to the transition team and quotes from her allies. Hillary never does her own dirty work.

Thank you. Am Googling and reading articles and can't find the one you mean. I'm not being snarky or argumentative by demanding a link or direct quote, but without more info, I am at a loss. I am trying to find this backstabbing and can't. I have learned to look these things up. I do it consistently, regardless of the candidate or if it will hurt or help my point. And I often find that these things can be like a game of telephone and when I find the primary source, it's quite different. And we're human, so it happens. I refresh my memory before posting from fear of putting my spin on something without realizing. If you come across the quote, source, article name, something, I'd like to read it. Thanks!

• Love 3

Back in February, Libby Anne of the Love, Joy, Feminism blog posted something that I have thought of a lot over the intervening months: Why Hillary Clinton's Gender Matters. I'm part of Hillary's generation. When I started working after college in the early 70's I remember well the casual sexism evident even in the very large and otherwise well-meaning company I worked for.  My first district manager had a girly calendar (not Playboy level, but close) pinned up on his office wall, and was surprised when I told him I thought it was inappropriate.  A few years later, when I asked a male co-worker for help decorating the group Christmas tree, I was told that "that's what the girls always do". (I was not, BTW, a secretary when these things happened. I was an engineer and later a manager in a technical division.) And a few years after that (we're in the mid-80s now) when I mentioned to my manager that I felt my biologic clock ticking regarding having a child, he said (knowing I was single), "What are you going to do, stand on a street corner?"  None of these were sleazy guys. It's just how things were.

I've often thought the country would be better off if some (not all, but some) of our First Ladies ran the country instead of their husbands.  For instance I really liked Betty Ford, although apparently she was an alcoholic at the time. Ooops.

I've never believed the mud that has been slung at Hillary, much of it lies made up out of thin air. I was excited when she ran in 2008, and I voted for her in the primary. I thought Obama was a dynamic speaker but just didn't have enough national level experience. My one caveat was that I thought she'd never get anything through Congress because the Republicans absolutely hated her as though she was the Devil. (Some things never change.) But I always felt it was simply because she was a woman. It turns out the Republicans could hate a black President just as much just because he was black. My greatest fear is that Hillary will win but the Democrats won't win the Senate. She'll never get anything done.

Do I have concerns? Sure. At 68, I think she's a little too old for the most demanding job in the world. I know I couldn't do it and I'm a few years younger than she is. If Trump wasn't even older, I think more people would consider this a negative. She's a centrist rather than a true liberal. (There's an interesting anecdote about her husband in a book called Where the Right Went Wrong where the President was in a policy meeting and after a heated debate about some issue said "You know, we're trying to decide if we're going to be Reagan Republicans or Eisenhower Republicans, right?") I thought it was a good thing that Bernie Sanders ran against her in the primaries because he pushed her further to the left. I would have loved to see her pick Elizabeth Warren as a running mate.

But she's the only real choice this year, and I'm going to be thrilled to finally vote for an eminently qualified woman for President.

• Love 16
18 minutes ago, BoogieBurns said:

More than ANYTHING I wanted Elizabeth Warren [...]

OH!! me too, but then someone--the other Dem living within my 25 mile radius--said, "Forget it.  Two women would not win."

I knew I was just indulging in a Clinton-Warren fantasy though.  I've been around long enough to know I always get my hopes up that a second person I like will share the ticket, but instead, the VP announcement comes and I always say:   WTF . . . who??

I'm probably not smart enough to dope out whatever complicated algorithm they use to select the ideal VP for maximizing votes.  I just have to hope it's not someone who would make me want to kill myself if s/he wound up in the top spot.  [Note:  I've never been so happy to have to deal with that awkward "s/he" construction as in this context.]

You are so lucky, BoogieBurns, that you and your father have a thing where you two can get all chewy over the meat and gristle of politics.  My father would dismiss me with a literal handwave.  Arrrrrgh.

Wrt whether misogyny is a relevant factor:  I think nearly all Hillary haters would maintain they're not generally opposed to a female president, just to this specific woman.  And that they believe this to be the truth.  And that most likely they will find the next six qualified female candidates objectionable in exactly the same way.  No gender bias, perish the thought, but gads, not this one.

• Love 11

Speaking of sexism, imagine if a man with HRCs experience (not Kerry, someone a little more charismatic) was running against, say, Martha Stewart.  Does anyone really think she would have won the nomination over 14 candidates who had been senators or governors? Or would be seriously in contention against the "most experienced (man) to ever run for president"?

I like Martha a lot more than Donald and would trust her a lot more as president, but the media would have treated her candidacy as a joke from the beginning, because of her lack of qualifications.  There is nothing about Trump to qualify him to be president--and a LOT in his life to make him a horrible choice, And yet, here he is, where it still could, incredibly, happen. .

• Love 13