Type keyword(s) to search

S10.E04: The Cohabitation Experimentation

SHELDON AND AMY MOVE IN TOGETHER, ON "THE BIG BANG THEORY," MONDAY, OCT. 10

"The Cohabitation Experimentation" - When Amy's apartment floods, she proposes a "cohabitation experiment" with Sheldon. Also, Howard and Bernadette are upset when Koothrappali learns the gender of the baby before they do, on THE BIG BANG THEORY, Monday, Oct. 10 (8:00-8:31 PM, ET/PT), on the CBS Television Network.

(edited)

I'm really enjoying this season; so far it's been a lot better than the latter half of last season. Some good character movement, but it was mostly just 20 minutes hanging out with the characters, which is what I'm here for. Always like seeing Penny and Leonard just having fun. I laughed out loud several times--Howard's "Wrong number!" Amy's flash photo, Leonard's dancing, Sheldon's reaction to Amy spitting.

I liked it.

Edited by TheOtherOne
  • Love 19

Leonard's underwear dancing was the biggest laugh of the night.

So Sheldon gets turned on by science arguing and Star Trek talk. Nice to know. And I'll give him credit for trying (in his own way) to be open and flexible to him and Amy temporarily living together. I won't blame him for his annoying sleeping habits because that's the sort of thing that he genuinely can't control.

• Love 12

Whew, that last fight was...well let's just say I'm a little surprised the writer's restrained them from making out then and there. I love scientist Amy, especially paired with Sheldon (her intellect is I think the only one he has never derided). And the actors just have such great chemistry!

I was VERY pleased to see Raj lose at least a night's sleep. He deserves a lot worse for crossing such an enormous line. My first call in the morning in that situation would be to my OBGYN to request that Raj never again be allowed to be present in the room during an exam. And possibly get him banned from the building entirely.

• Love 13

Sheldon has come so far. He is genuinely trying to compromise and be a good partner with Amy. I love how he came to Penny's for advice. Would the Sheldon of 2 or 3 seasons ago have even entertained the idea? I continue to be pleasantly surprised by the sensitivity and maturity being displayed in the evolution of Sheldon and Amy's relationship.

What do Howard or Bernadette even tell Raj about doctors appointments? He is seriously creepy and unhealthy. 

• Love 11

Leonard's dancing had me laughing out loud. Johnny Galecki is a really good sport about stuff like that, it seems.

Really good episode. A nice balance of all the storylines, even though Raj needs a stiff kick in the ass.

• Love 23

A great way to solve the cohabitation problem would be if Amy and Sheldon stayed at Sheldon's place -- Sheldon could remain in his own room and Amy could stay in Leonard's.  Leonard and Penny could move into Penny's apartment.  Of course, then comedy would not ensue, but we could still have had Leonard dancing.

• Love 1
17 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

A great way to solve the cohabitation problem would be if Amy and Sheldon stayed at Sheldon's place -- Sheldon could remain in his own room and Amy could stay in Leonard's.  Leonard and Penny could move into Penny's apartment.  Of course, then comedy would not ensue, but we could still have had Leonard dancing.

They directly addressed this in the episode.

• Love 5

Loved the episode and all the cohabitation, having the show be during overnight hours.

Only thing I thought was forced was the fighting between Sheldon and Amy resulting in him want to make out. Felt too forced for Sheldon.

• Love 3

Really, really fun episode tonight.  More than made up for the last two weeks.  Leonard's dancing and Sheldon freaking out over the flash photography made me laugh out loud and there were some great lines.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, anna0852 said:

What do Howard or Bernadette even tell Raj about doctors appointments? He is seriously creepy and unhealthy. 

Yes, even though it was completely beyond the pale for Raj to open the file, I kinda blame Howard and Bernadette for allowing him to come to the appointment in the first place. After he announced his intention to be in the delivery room, they should have drawn some boundaries - and strictly enforced them.

But think this story line is a lead-in to Raj throwing Howard and Bernadette a gender-reveal party. I find them tacky as all get-out, but they seem to be all the rage with expecting couples these days.

2 hours ago, Pepper the Cat said:

Penny's bed looks small for two people. I always thought that. 

I thought so too; it looked like a full size rather than a queen (which is my bare minimum requirement to share a bed with someone :) )

• Love 1

A bit better.  For me I think it is because it was whittled down to just two plots essentially.  But it also really hammered home how little I care about Howard and Raj as leads when they aren't part of the initial foursome.  I don't care if Bernadette loves her baby.  What the gender is.  What all kinds of inappropriate Raj is and how the writers think its hilarious (i.e. Stuart).  It also reminds me that some of the funniest shows have included a series of related moments that capture the humor the group can deliver.  Leonard's dancing and Sheldon's panic attack induced by flash photo are key examples. 

I do think there has been an upward trajectory from last season and I hope they can continue since this is a show that, for me, deserves to go out on a high note (and I hope they are soon going out).  Still I dread the continued baby story line and its eventual arrival which I fear will drag the show down since the writers clearly think it is the definitive ongoing B plot (or even A plot some episodes).  I actually wish the gender plot had been a single scene throwaway of Raj telling the other two he knows and had the episode show how the two couples with the change in living conditions spent their nights.  It would have been funny to see the back and forth between Sheldon/Amy getting ready for bed and Leonard/Penny celebrating their respite from Sheldon. 

• Love 1

I thought it was hilarious when their verbal sparring actually got Sheldon and Amy all worked up. I totally didn't expect Sheldon to be receptive to a make out session. 

The less said about Raj, the better. The only thing redeeming about that plot was the phone calls.  

• Love 3

The show feels tired to me. 

I did chuckle at a few of the jokes, but it's no longer snappy and witty. 

Raj went from odd to being a complete and utter creep. Him peeking was not funny, it was horrific. 

Howard and Bernie are really not funny, Bernie saying she could do better was mean. 

Amy and Sheldon gave me a few laughs, but it's hard for me to watch Amy settle for Sheldon. She really could do better, he doesn't deserve her. 

Leonard and Penny really should start their own lives, already. 

I feel like the gang is at that awkward place where their lives are drifting apart, and the show is forcing them to stay together. 

• Love 4

My bad on the who gets which apartment question.  I get distracted during the 47,000 commercials and forget to pay attention to the show when it returns.  I did record it, though, so I'll watch again and try to pay attention!  :)

• Love 3

Maybe I was just in the mood for a smile, but I laughed out loud a few times last night.

I even smiled at Cinnamon sleeping on the bed. But then that reminded me that the writers won't let Raj have a steady girlfriend and are instead turning him into a sad, pathetic version of Stuart. 

• Love 1

What's awkward is that Leonard and Penny are married and at this stage of their relationship would normally be wanting to move out of the building altogether, let alone still be playing sophomoric sleep over games with Sheldon and Amy.  I don't even think the actors can make that believable at this point, as good as they are.

I know it's probably me, but we go from Bernadette not even looking pregnant to looking 6-7 months along in one episode.  Not that I expect the show to follow real time, but still.  I suppose there are women that could suddenly pop out like that but I haven't known any of them.

That said, I do think this was a better episode compared to last season.

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

My bad on the who gets which apartment question.  I get distracted during the 47,000 commercials and forget to pay attention to the show when it returns.  I did record it, though, so I'll watch again and try to pay attention!  :)

FWIW, I didn't notice it either.

I laughed at everything Sheldon did while asleep  (being a vicious, noisy, kicking sleeper myself I had to sympathize with Amy).  And I can believe Sheldon and Amy's make out idea after their fight, for a sitcom plot at least.  Sheldon's not asexual; the feelings and needs are there he just suppresses them.  But something has to "turn him on", he doesn't get angry and in real fights often so it's interesting that when he did let go and have a normal boyfriend/girlfriend argument it brought up some other feelings too.

I don't find Raj creepy even though I know what he's doing is completely inappropriate - maybe I don't care enough to judge that plot one way or the other.  But Raj does need something else to do; anything of his own - either the writers don't know where to go with him anymore or Kunal pissed someone off.  

What I did find funny for no good reason is how Cinnamon woke up and stared at Raj every time the phone rang; that is one cute dog.

Edited by sigmaforce86
because does and doesn't are two different things
  • Love 10

I think there has been an unacknowledged time jump. Bernadette is showing just like she should for someone who announced a pregnancy around Valentines day. 

I loved seeing Leonard and Penny being goofy and having fun together. We don't get much of that. 

Edited by anna0852
  • Love 7

This reminded me of an old-school Friends-type episode. Just a bunch of funny moments between each of the couples. Not every episode needs to have big plots hammered in.

I missed a couple of years of the show - I think I didnt watch between 2013 and 2016 - so I am not tired of the too-long period of the dating/married couples behaving like kids.

• Love 2

I loved seeing Leonardo and Penny being goofy and having fun together. We don't get much of that.

That's my favorite thing about their relationship -- the ability to tease and goof around with each other (even when they were just friends).  "I got you motorcycle lessons, I think the first one is how not to fall over." "I got you a kid's science set, 'cause you're so into science."  So much better than the old will-they/won't-they nonsense, or Leonard's insecurities, or Penny's dumbness.

I also love the very slowly developing relationship between Amy and Sheldon, his even slower growing maturity, and Amy's ability to stand up to Sheldon frequently.  I loved her digs about him not knowing confounding variables!

Raj's storyline on the other hand -- ugh.  Give him a real story, and stop making him so gross.  While I'm at it, bring back the not-pathetic Stewart.

• Love 12

Stuart has been pathetic for a lot longer than he was ever not pathetic.  For that matter Raj has been gross since before he could talk openly in front of women.  He's the one character that could leave the show right now and few of us would care.

• Love 4

I think they could have salvaged Raj if he could just tell from looking at the ultrasound if it was a boy or a girl. He grew up around his father and who knows what he's picked up. If Raj hadn't opened a closed file and read it but rather was invited to the ultrasound and could tell and let it slip that he knew, they could have still had the same plot without Raj being a creepy asshole who took a special thing away from Howard and Bernadette.

As for the cohabitation, I thought Sheldon was pretty reasonable and not just reasonable for Sheldon. He tried to be accommodating to Amy with the side of the bed thing but once she put it on him, she can't be surprised or annoyed that he went through his process whenever he chooses a spot. Sheldon hasn't shared a bed often or ever so he wouldn't even know about the noises or movements and I can't pin that on him even if he did. If they really want to live together as a permanent thing, they need a California king at the very least and probably separate beds. I actually think that Sheldon, who can really be an ass sometimes, was actually very cool for once. He was open to living with Amy, honest about his emotions, went outside of his own knowledge for advice and tried to be accommodating. He went out on a huge limb and grew more in this episode than he has in years.

• Love 19

Sheldon's sleeping habits are a lot like my beloved MrMoving's and I had nothing but sympathy for Amy.  My hubby talks in his sleep and act out his dreams.  I have been hit, kicked and tackled by my dreaming hubby too many times to count.  I was constantly tired and developed a serious health issue because of a lack of "productive sleep'.  My hubby got treatment for his sleep disorder and my doctor recommended that we had separate bedrooms.  Since we were newlyweds we resisted this but my doctor looked at me and said "Your life is on the line, you need to do this.".  I am so glad we followed doctor's orders.  I am now a well rested and cheerful fully functioning woman.  Mr.Moving and I don't argue as much because we are not exhausted and cranky all the time.  We also frequently "visit" each other's room at all hours.  My recommendation to Sheldon and Amy is for them to take over the guy's apartment and for Amy to set herself up in Leonard's old room.   This way she and Sheldon can be blissfully happy while "visiting" their brains out.

• Love 15
19 minutes ago, vibeology said:

I think they could have salvaged Raj if he could just tell from looking at the ultrasound if it was a boy or a girl. He grew up around his father and who knows what he's picked up. If Raj hadn't opened a closed file and read it but rather was invited to the ultrasound and could tell and let it slip that he knew, they could have still had the same plot without Raj being a creepy asshole who took a special thing away from Howard and Bernadette.

That's actually where I thought they were going to go. Howard and Bernie were looking at a sonogram. I figured Raj could see (or not see as the case may be) and they just couldn't because it is hard to tell what you're looking at on those things. 

• Love 9

So why did Amy have to sleep on the floor?  There was a perfectly fine sofa in Penny's living room.  For that matter, why did they have to sleep on the same bed to begin with???  Like someone said, Penny's bed was too small for 2 people.

• Love 3

I was so irritated with Amy when Sheldon was trying to figure out his spot.  She of all freaking people knows that he has to go through a SERIES of pros and cons before making a decision, so her going "ok that one" after he says one thing was incredibly annoying.  Shut up and let him work it out!

I did laugh at "you're lucky I'm still in the room."

• Love 4
15 hours ago, buffynut said:

...I even smiled at Cinnamon sleeping on the bed. But then that reminded me that the writers won't let Raj have a steady girlfriend and are instead turning him into a sad, pathetic version of Stuart. 

The highlight of the episode for me was Cinnamon's ears going up everytime the phone rang.

And I did like Penny's overalls.

8 hours ago, movingtargetgal said:

Sheldon's sleeping habits are a lot like my beloved MrMoving's and I had nothing but sympathy for Amy.  My hubby talks in his sleep and act out his dreams.  I have been hit, kicked and tackled by my dreaming hubby too many times to count.  I was constantly tired and developed a serious health issue because of a lack of "productive sleep'.  My hubby got treatment for his sleep disorder and my doctor recommended that we had separate bedrooms.  Since we were newlyweds we resisted this but my doctor looked at me and said "Your life is on the line, you need to do this.".  I am so glad we followed doctor's orders.  I am now a well rested and cheerful fully functioning woman.  Mr.Moving and I don't argue as much because we are not exhausted and cranky all the time.  We also frequently "visit" each other's room at all hours.  My recommendation to Sheldon and Amy is for them to take over the guy's apartment and for Amy to set herself up in Leonard's old room.   This way she and Sheldon can be blissfully happy while "visiting" their brains out.

My ex used to stand up on the bed and yell. I could tell he was still asleep by his eyes. If we could have afforded separate bedrooms it might have worked. Amy needs to realize this too, and fast — unless she has some monkey brain cure for it.

• Love 3

I'm surprised so many people liked this episode.  Other than Leonard dancing, it seemed to me pretty unoriginal and dull.  It was like the writers just trying to wring out every little bit of comedy from the few ideas they have left. 

• Love 2
On 10/10/2016 at 11:00 PM, dungeonwriter said:

Howard and Bernie are really not funny, Bernie saying she could do better was mean. 

I thought so too as she was saying it, but Howard's reaction to joke about it makes me think it's something they don't take too seriously.  And there were many people who thought she could have done better.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, vibeology said:

Sheldon hasn't shared a bed often or ever so he wouldn't even know about the noises or movements and I can't pin that on him even if he did.

The fact that it was not his usual bed may have been a contributing factor. This is the guy who wasn't comfortable in his spot on the couch after the cushion was turned over.

• Love 5

Haven't seen this one yet but the talk about Sheldon moving around a lot in bed surprises me.  We've had several scenes of him lying in bed so still it looks like someone inserted him between the sheets.  I thought that was one of Sheldon's quirks - lying in bed like he's in a coffin.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, CherryAmes said:

Haven't seen this one yet but the talk about Sheldon moving around a lot in bed surprises me.  We've had several scenes of him lying in bed so still it looks like someone inserted him between the sheets.  I thought that was one of Sheldon's quirks - lying in bed like he's in a coffin.

It was a really funny scene, but I agree with you. And wasn't Amy supposed to be a really restless sleeper with night terrors? When they all went to the conference and Penny shared a bed with Amy, part of the room switching chaos was because, no matter how much you stroke her hair, Amy bites. 

Of course it could be that Sheldon's routine was so messed up because he wasn't in his own bed and someone was touching him so his sleep was all disrupted...

• Love 6
9 hours ago, lh25 said:

I thought so too as she was saying it, but Howard's reaction to joke about it makes me think it's something they don't take too seriously.  And there were many people who thought she could have done better.

Yeah, I actually found that exchange charming because they've had more than one like it. (I seem to recall Howard in space cheerfully declaring that he's Bernadette's idiot....FOREVER.) It strikes me as just a running joke they do. My parents have a very similar one -- my father will tease my mother by declaring that he married below his class (which is deeply debatable and relies on Soviet Logic, which is about as much as I can say about it) and now the children have a "contaminated pedigree" (which I'm guessing sounds less bizarre in Russian.) Then Mama points out that he's lucky to have found her after scaring or pissing off every eligible woman in his home city, gaining a terrible reputation and having to relocate to find a bride. It's some deeply affectionate ribbing.

I have to wonder if Jim Parsons felt intimidated by that last scene, even if Mayim Bialik is doing more scientific lingo  than him -- she has the advantage of actually knowing what she's talking about. I feel like he must have practiced extra hard for the confrontation, which helps build the intensity of it. And I personally very much approve.

• Love 5
On 10/10/2016 at 10:09 PM, benteen said:

Really, really fun episode tonight.  More than made up for the last two weeks.  Leonard's dancing and Sheldon freaking out over the flash photography made me laugh out loud and there were some great lines.

Right? I busted right out laughing. "Who are you calling?" "Hang on" "FLASHBULB"  

I loved this ep. KC has gotten so so so much better with her delivery and timing. Her friendship (past love) with JG clearly plays into their comfortable chemistry. I also laughed aloud at their play by play of the argument. Leonard's "meh" and her immediate "hunh" to whether it was a good joke was priceless. Followed by the "I feel like I should say 'damn.'" "Do it." "DAY-UM."  hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha. I rewound the argument twice. "WHOA! NOW YOU'RE MAKING FUN OF MY BONA FIDES?" (Now my newest comeback to everything, ever.)

• Love 2
On 10/11/2016 at 1:25 PM, beadgirl said:

That's my favorite thing about their relationship -- the ability to tease and goof around with each other (even when they were just friends).  "I got you motorcycle lessons, I think the first one is how not to fall over." "I got you a kid's science set, 'cause you're so into science."  So much better than the old will-they/won't-they nonsense, or Leonard's insecurities, or Penny's dumbness.

Yes, my leg is killing me, thank you for asking.

• Love 5
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 11:36 PM, chocolatine said:
On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 9:17 PM, Pepper the Cat said:

Penny's bed looks small for two people. I always thought that. 

I thought so too; it looked like a full size rather than a queen (which is my bare minimum requirement to share a bed with someone :) )

Before we moved into the NutmegsHaus, we had a queen size. Amy and Sheldon was spot-on with two restless sleepers. We upgraded to king size.

Makes me wonder if the Hostellers sleep in Leonard's bed for room as well.

After reading all the comments I am surprised that no one has mentioned Raj's creepiest behavior to date:  his comment that Bernadette has a textbook cervix!  I was looking down at a hem I was sewing when that comment was made, and my head snapped up in disgust, wondering if I'd heard it properly.  I rewound the DVR, and indeed that was correct.  What the hell???!! He couldn't have gleaned this information from looking through her file -- there would not be pictures of her cervix, and no doctor would likely write something like that. Not only is he in the gynecological exam, he must be down at the business end of Bernadette, peering around the doctor to get a view!  Still highly inappropriate even if you're the son of an OB/GYN!!  I could maybe see allowing him in while the ultrasound is being performed and her hoohah is not on display.  I could even suspend disbelief that they would let him in the room during the gynie exam, if he were made to stand by Bernadette's head, looking towards her face, for the sake of a t.v. sitcom plot.  But this? Ew!  Super creepy and inappropriate.

Edited by Cowgirl
  • Love 11

I quite enjoyed this episode and laughed out loud several times. I like when they let Leonard and Penny be playful and have fun with each other. I loved Leonard's constant zingers to Sheldon and the practical advice he offered Amy, as opposed to Penny's emotional advice to Sheldon, and I always appreciate how Amy -- despite the pathetic way she clings to Sheldon, even when he's mean to her -- also doesn't tolerate his crap a lot of the time. She was letting him have it too. 

The science throw-down was fun, with Penny checking with Leonard to see if an insult was good or not.

There is no end to Raj's inappropriateness and creepiness. Who violated HIPAA more? Raj for looking in Bernadette's chart or the doctor for not adequately protecting her privacy? Anytime he's on screen, I wish for a deportation storyline. 

• Love 6