Type keyword(s) to search

Project Runway In the Media

• Start Topic

Wendy was playing the game long before people even knew how to "play the game".  Back in those days it was actually about the clothes.  Now, there are usually several "Wendy's" cast every season, for the drama and conflict. 

She knew her stuff and made some beautiful things.  

• Love 4

Wendy in the Final 3 and the other 2 hated her, right? That’s when I was really into Project Runway. I probably haven’t watched in 4 or 5 years. I would have to look back at the cast(s) to remember when exactly I dropped out. Anyway, Wendy was playing the game along with designing. The other cast members didn’t get or like that. When she did it then it was more real. Now, they actively look for these people to inject the drama. I miss the old days.

Edited by ByaNose
  • Love 6

This article has a photo with some of her Finale designs and several flattering photos of her.  It also has the very tired during the Finale photos we've all seen as well as, in the comments, a comment that said she had been diagnosed with Stage 4 cancer 5 months ago and recently, during treatment, contracted pneumonia.  It didn't cite a source, so take that with a question mark. 

About Wendy in the Daily Mail

This is the dress that got her to Fashion Week, a dress for Nancy ODell who said she didn't like sparkles near her face (and other designers had sparkly bodices.  It is interesting the fairly minor difference between the PR dress and what was worn to the event.  Yep, things have changed.

nancyodell.jpg

Edited by enoughcats
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ByaNose said:

Wendy in he Final 3 and the other 2 hated her, right? That’s when I was really into Project Runway. I probably haven’t watched in 4 or 5 years. I would have to look back at the cast(s) to remember when exactly I dropped out. Anyway, Wendy was playing the game along with designing. The other cast members didn’t get or like that. When she did it then it was more real. Now, they actively look for these people to inject the drama. I miss the old days.

When you say that she was playing the game, do you mean she was pretending to be scornful and dismissive of the other designers?

Wendy didn't pretend to be scornful, she was scornful.  She was also envious and deceitful.  Her attempt at playing the game was to try to get others to befriend her and talk to her and then somehow use any confidences they gave her against them to "get them out of her way."  The whole thing was ridiculous because the show was not set up in a way that designers could get each other auffed.   So Wendy came off not only deceitful, but rather dim and pathetic.  I think her actions were worthy of contempt. 

Some viewers thought she was some kind of a victim of the cool kids shunning the old lady, but I never saw that at all, quite the opposite, in fact.  Austin and Kara Saun in particular thought her a good friend until she showed she couldn't be trusted.  I've watched S1 many times and I saw that Kara Saun was still giving Wendy glad-you're-safe hugs up to and including the swim suit episode (episode 6, I think).  The only one who didn't like Wendy much at all from the start was Vanessa.  All of the this is JMHO and YMMV.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, backgroundnoise said:

Wendy didn't pretend to be scornful, she was scornful.  She was also envious and deceitful.  Her attempt at playing the game was to try to get others to befriend her and talk to her and then somehow use any confidences they gave her against them to "get them out of her way."  The whole thing was ridiculous because the show was not set up in a way that designers could get each other auffed.   So Wendy came off not only deceitful, but rather dim and pathetic.  I think her actions were worthy of contempt. 

Some viewers thought she was some kind of a victim of the cool kids shunning the old lady, but I never saw that at all, quite the opposite, in fact.  Austin and Kara Saun in particular thought her a good friend until she showed she couldn't be trusted.  I've watched S1 many times and I saw that Kara Saun was still giving Wendy glad-you're-safe hugs up to and including the swim suit episode (episode 6, I think).  The only one who didn't like Wendy much at all from the start was Vanessa.  All of the this is JMHO and YMMV.

Thank you for posting this because I was beginning to doubt my memory of her. I am sad for her family, but I do believe that she showed some extremely unpleasant qualities on Project Runway, season one. 

She did seem to think she was on "Survivor," didn't she?

• Love 3
On 11/18/2017 at 4:37 PM, backgroundnoise said:

The whole thing was ridiculous because the show was not set up in a way that designers could get each other auffed.   So Wendy came off not only deceitful, but rather dim and pathetic.  I think her actions were worthy of contempt. 

I wouldn't say "contempt", but she did come across as ridiculous because all her machinations could not possibly help her to win on a talent show.  But to be fair, this was Season One of PR and none of those first season people could really be sure WHAT the actual rules of the competition were going to turn out to be.

On 11/18/2017 at 8:10 PM, hoodooznoodooz said:

She did seem to think she was on "Survivor," didn't she?

Yes, that's exactly what a lot of us said at the time.  And to underline my previous point,  the people who went on Season One of Survivor are very different from everyone who went on the show after having watched Season One.  Half the people in that first season went on because of their extensive background with outdoor camping and wilderness survival skills.  We rarely get ANYONE like that anymore on Survivor.

• Love 4
53 minutes ago, ratgirlagogo said:

I wouldn't say "contempt", but she did come across as ridiculous because all her machinations could not possibly help her to win on a talent show.  But to be fair, this was Season One of PR and none of those first season people could really be sure WHAT the actual rules of the competition were going to turn out to be.

Yes, that's exactly what a lot of us said at the time.  And to underline my previous point,  the people who went on Season One of Survivor are very different from everyone who went on the show after having watched Season One.  Half the people in that first season went on because of their extensive background with outdoor camping and wilderness survival skills.  We rarely get ANYONE like that anymore on Survivor.

If she thought she was on Survivor, she did a pretty good job because she finished third and she was not nearly the third best designer there.  Her machinations DID help her win because she made it to fashion week, which was a big deal at the time.

The villain of that season was Kara Saun,  Remember how she came up with those custom ordered shoes from Dollhouse and when questioned about it, she miraculously came up with receipts that charged her about $5 a pair?  Who was the one who called her on it?  Yup, Wendy.

Thinking about it, I pulled up her takedown of Kara Saun and it deserves to be quoted in its entirety.  “I'm going to tell you that Jay and I shopping at the store for five-dollar shoes is hardly comparable to you custom-designing shoes and putting an arbitrary value of five dollars on something that looks like your shoes.  I just heard you on the phone equate a shoe at a sample sale for five dollars to a shoe you custom-designed and had made to your specifications, and that, my dear, is not fair or above board, Miss Perfect. It just shows how you're so f*cking morally corrupt and you walk around saying other people are all f*cked up but you're perfect; but it's okay for you to fudge when it works to your advantage, but God help anybody if they fudge for their advantage.”

A fascinating and incredible moment in Reality TV where the self appointed villain reveals herself to have played the game fairly and the Moral Authority was a cheating hypocrite with dirty hands.

Edited by gingerormaryann
  • Love 6

We'll have to agree to disagree.  To me, it's a matter of intent.   Wendy came into the competition plotting to deceive from day one, and never deviated from that, even after people did befriend her and were genuinely happy for her Banana Republic win.  This just wasn't the kind of competition where that was appropriate.   Kara Saun had one bad day.  Kara Saun handled the shoe-thing badly, but she didn't go into it intending to deceive anyone--she was far too open about where she got the shoes for that.  Yes, she acted entitled when called on the shoes (and I don't think she should have been able to keep them without giving up something else), but that doesn't make her the season's villain, IMO, not compared to Wendy's deliberate deceit.  YMMV.

• Love 6
On 11/9/2017 at 9:02 PM, leighdear said:

And just to show her most recent collection.....I think she's incredibly talented and these are gorgeous.  Danielle's dress is there.....

http://www.leannemarshall.com/fall-winter-2017-18/

What a beautiful collection!  Really great.  The judges definitely got that win right.

I also recognized a few of the models from ANTM (don't judge me).  But I can't remember their names.

• Love 1

I like Tim but he comes across as such a pill during this interview. If he really hates the judges so much he should quit the show. He actually seems like he has some anxiety disorder  too-hating presents so much he can't bear to open them . I didn't hear him mention even one good friend- he seems kind of sad. 

• Love 3

I like Tim but he comes across as such a pill during this interview. If he really hates the judges so much he should quit the show. He actually seems like he has some anxiety disorder  too-hating presents so much he can't bear to open them . I didn't hear him mention even one good friend- he seems kind of sad. 

I agree--if you can't even open up gifts from your sister because of your issues, some therapy is called for.  I was flabbergasted at his description of the judges and how (and why) he can't stand them. Zac Posen certainly started off on the wrong foot with him, I must say.  I always thought that he and Heidi, at least got along well, but he obviously views her as quite entitled.  Interesting to read where and why they suddenly decided to have the judges look close up and personal at the top three and bottom looks.  And he called out Nina for her somewhat whackadoodle personal clothing choices over the past couple of years.  It seems like Michael Kors may have been the judge that he respected the most--he didn't rake him over the coals, at least.  It was a VERY revealing interview, for those who haven't listened to it.  Definitely not discrete about his feelings. And to be totally fair, as much as he slammed the judges, he was pretty honest about his own personal failings as a person, as well.

Edited by Yokosmom
  • Love 7

I love Tim even more after this interview.  What an interesting  man.  There is a place in our society for all types and isn't that grand!  The interviewer was excellent.  He doesn't wànt a therapist but he would benefit having her as a friend!  He responded to her suggestions very well.  When you isolate you miss feedback and we all need that. 

I like his honesty and dedication to the contestants. He is really there for them 100%.  This is why he stays. He likes his job.  He would never quit, they need him and he knows it. 

Now his sister and friends know that if they want to give him something don't wrap it or skip it. 

Heartwarming to hear of his connection with Michele Obama.  I love her and Barack so much.  

His critique of Zac was hysterical!  You go Tim!

• Love 8
On 10/22/2017 at 6:29 PM, leighdear said:

Yep, the Cindy, Christie, Elle, Iman, Claudia decades.  They were "super" because they were runway, print,media AND dated rockstars.  Today they're considered "super" if they know a Kardashian or have been in a Taylor Swift video.  

The bar is set VERY low these days.  About like their IQ's.

It's weird to me that a major topic in this thread is the degradation of women, actors, and models and you come into this thread to claim that models are unintelligent.  That is based on nothing except maybe some hack stand up comedy from the 80s?  Also I believe Karlie Kloss is an established model or even supermodel in her own right, completely separate from her friendship with Taylor.  Other than that not sure who you are referring to.

You should read about Sara Ziff who founded the Model Alliance.  I brought her up without knowing she graduated magna cum laude from Columbia.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sara_Ziff  "In 2012, she formed the Model Alliance, a non-profit organization that advocates for fair labor standards for models working in the American fashion industry. In 2013, under Ziff's leadership, the Model Alliance championed the Child Model Act in New York State, which reclassified models under 18 as child performers and extended them basic labor protections, including provisions for educational requirements, maximum working hours, and trust accounts."

There's also Sasha Pivovarova, longtime Prada muse who is also an artist in her spare time. You can tell that she's an artist by the ultra creative way that she models.  https://www.google.ca/searchq=sasha+pivovarova+art&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwit5--Qt4LaAhUJS6wKHXbrCgMQ_AUICigB&biw=1248&bih=657

One of my favourites is Natalia Vodianova, who's done so much philanthropy with her money it's too much to discuss here.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natalia_Vodianova

Anyway, just because an article writer mistakenly typed "supermodels" instead of "models" to refer to the models of PR, does not mean, in my opinion, that we should put down all models to make a point.  They are still people.

There is also zero way I agree with any of Harvey's tactics or having women wear Marchesa to promote his wife's brand and/or intimidate actors.  Actors have always either worn a designer gown that was chosen for them by a stylist, or specifically a designer that they have a contract with (Margot Robbie just signed with Chanel, Jennifer Lawrence has been with Dior for awhile).  As for why Felicity Huffman chose that Marchesa, it was more likely chosen for her.  Stylists, or designers or whomever send over a rack of clothing and the gown is chosen from there, from what I understand.  It's not like you have everything under the sun always available to you to wear.  Usually actors wear whatever was just or will be shown during the latest season.  Sometimes celebrities pull off wearing a Dior by Galliano from 2003 or a Tom Ford for Gucci from the late 90s, but I have no idea how.  Special permissions, I assume.

Edited by Ms Blue Jay
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I thought of that.  I sort of hope not to be honest.  I fear what they would do to it.

Every guest judge would be a real housewife.

• Love 4
On 12/5/2017 at 10:38 PM, ichbin said:

I'm not sure when this was intitially made available or if anyone has linked to it here already so sorry if it's a repeat...

Tim Gunn being interviewed for a podcast...really dishing and letting loose more than I have ever heard him before, even about some of the judges (and naming names): 

https://www.reallyfamouspodcast.com/tim-gunn/

This interview Gave Me My Entire Life! 

Thank you for posting it! I never would have been aware of it otherwise. 

Imagine: Our Tim in plaid pajama bottoms by 7 o'clock, drinking white wine, eating microwave popcorn, watching Two Fat Ladies, sitting down to Ragú from the jar for dinner & trying not to pass out on the couch too early! Lol.

I also really appreciated his brutal honesty. So rare among people in his position. Loved it!

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Love 1
On 4/4/2018 at 7:43 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:
On 4/4/2018 at 5:56 PM, Jaded said:

Someone will either purchase it or clone it, I would suspect.

This explains why our questions about when the next show appears have been met with an echoing silence. 

I wonder how the participants in the two unseen seasons are being wrangled to keep them quiet.  And how the winners are just sitting around waiting for their prizes.  Or do they get the prizes when their season ends? 

Meanwhile Heidi joins the stars in wanting monies owed her by Weinstein.

This doesn't indicate a quick resolution of PR's uncertain future.

Other big names making their objections known in court on Monday include author Stephen King, Heidi Klum, Bill Murray, Julia Roberts, the estate of Wes Craven, Lin-Manuel Miranda's In the Heights, John Cusack, David O. Russell and even Weinstein himself. 

This latter from April 30.

• Love 2

I've always been under the impression that reality competition show winners don't get their prizes if the show never airs. It may vary among shows, however, and I may be wrong.

(edited)
2 hours ago, nightowl said:

Project Runway will move back to Bravo for the upcoming season

I wonder if Heidi is involved.  There was a marked difference in the quality when it moved to Lifetime but hard to know who was responsible. 

I would love to see this restored to its original quality.  That depends on the contestants, to a large degree.    If it improves it may take a year for good designers to apply. 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 4

I feared this would happen.  Don't trust Bravo to put out a quality product anymore.  A couple of their purely scripted original shows have been okay, but this "reality" stuff is getting bizarro.  Yes, I watch most of them, lol, but I don't want to see PR reduced to nonsense.  Well, any more nonsense than it is already that is.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Wings said:

I wonder if Heidi is involved.  There was a marked difference in the quality when it moved to Lifetime but hard to know who was responsible.

They changed production companies when the show moved from Bravo to Lifetime - Magical Elves to Bunin-Murray.  Magical Elves still produces Top Chef for Bravo.

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, LizDC said:

They changed production companies when the show moved from Bravo to Lifetime - Magical Elves to Bunin-Murray.  Magical Elves still produces Top Chef for Bravo.

Yes, I know.  I was wondering if that change brought it down or Heidi losing interest.  

• Love 2
(edited)

Well that will be the last program I watch now on Lifetime after "Dance Moms" cancelled last year with Abby going to jail! They thought about restarting it with new girls and the Mini's, but with her health issues, "they're done!" I have no reason to even surf by the channel now! "Thanks Lifetime.com!" ;- )

Edited by Fiero425
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Fiero425 said:

Well that will be the last program I watch now on Lifetime after "Dance Moms" cancelled last year with Abby going to jail! They thought about restarting it with new girls and the Mini's, but with her health issues, "they done!" I have no reason to even surf by the channel now! "Thanks Lifetime.com!" ;- )

So you're saying that the Women As Victims channel doesn't appeal to you?  Yeah, me neither.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, Wings said:

Heidi losing interest.  

Wasn't the story that Heidi took the idea to Harvey W and that she had an interest (money meaning) in the whole franchise?

Also aren't there two series of PR in the can already, one regular strength, one all stars?  If so, how could the producers change from BM to Magical Elves? 

I may be totally wrong about these as it's been a while and there's no official source for info in any of this. 

• Love 3
25 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

Wasn't the story that Heidi took the idea to Harvey W and that she had an interest (money meaning) in the whole franchise?

Also aren't there two series of PR in the can already, one regular strength, one all stars?  If so, how could the producers change from BM to Magical Elves? 

I may be totally wrong about these as it's been a while and there's no official source for info in any of this. 

One reason Heidi gave to change networks is she wanted the filming to be done in CA, where she lived.  Apparently that was not possible on Bravo. 

I have not heard that Weinstein was involved but that is a moot point now.  

Whatever reason, the quality of the show changed dramatically with the move to Lifetime.  There was some discussion that Heidi was spread too thin in her life and PR was no longer her baby.  I believe that was part of it.  Once the creator loses passion and delegates responsibility to others, this happens.  

I am hopeful that we see a change back to a better show.  

• Love 3
31 minutes ago, Wings said:

One reason Heidi gave to change networks is she wanted the filming to be done in CA, where she lived.  Apparently that was not possible on Bravo. 

And that season was a disaster!

• Love 3

I don't know anything about whether Heidi took the idea to Weinstein, but Magical Elves, of course, could not used for seasons that are already filmed and edited; but they could for future seasons.

• Love 2