Type keyword(s) to search

Project Runway In the Media

• Start Topic

Geoffrey’s dress looks super cheap and ugly on the website for sale for $840.  They didn’t replicate it very well. 

I was shopping at TJ. Maxx the other day and there were some screechingly ugly tops with Christian Soriano’s label on them for like $18.   Where does he sell clothes?   

• LOL 1
27 minutes ago, Lemons said:

Geoffrey’s dress looks super cheap and ugly on the website for sale for $840.  They didn’t replicate it very well. 

I was shopping at TJ. Maxx the other day and there were some screechingly ugly tops with Christian Soriano’s label on them for like $18.   Where does he sell clothes?   

Didn't he put his name on some things for J Jill?  It would make sense that they didn't sell that well.

• Love 1
On 2/14/2020 at 7:54 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

I've been thinking about Michael Costello lately, as it seemed to me that he had quite a hearty career going, post Runway.  I'm not a fayshun insider, but I can't recall seeing or reading much about him of late.  I went to The Google, and came up with this runway show from LAFW last fall, showing his Spring/Summer 2020 show.  For me, it's kind of awful.  I'll see what you all think. 

p.s.:  Sheer is definitely the thing! 

Before reading other comments, I thought - the one plus-sized model’s outfit was beyond awful and Ill-fitting but @SuprSuprElevated beat me to the punch. Just one plus sized model and just wrong. Well, so much of this fashion show was wrong. 

For me (disclaimer: I’ve had a bit of wine) sheer is a fashion trend that only looks good on certain women on the runway. However, even some of the  tall, skinny models looked awful in these fashions. The only not sheer parts seemed to cover the models “naughty bits”.  Then came the satin covered items with the feather trim that looked like “sexy” robes from the 1960’s.

In Michael’s defense, he was going with current trends, but still just “no”.

As an aside, I do understand the concept of cohesion in a fashion collection, but I never got the concept of how that goes to actually selling garments.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Stats Queen said:

As an aside, I do understand the concept of cohesion in a fashion collection, but I never got the concept of how that goes to actually selling garments.

That's an interesting comment.  I've often heard it, but never thought about it.  I wonder if it's an element of the actual runway show, or somehow is beneficial when showing to buyers.  It's a good question.

On 2/16/2020 at 12:00 AM, Ashforth said:

• the first dress has many of this PR season's tropes: asymmetry, a strap, one shoulder, a giant puffy sleeve, plus sheer (vaht is dis sheeearr?)
  • around 2:30, a dress with a trail of some sort of applique that leads to the model's crotch
  • at about minute 4, the fabric makes the model look like she has a horrific skin disease
  • the sole token plus size model's dress is horribly ill-fitting, she looks like she's stuffed into a sausage casing
  • the very next look had pasties that made the model's breasts look lopsided AND wall-eyed
  • a couple of gowns after that, the sheer + whatever makes the model look like she sharted

There's more but you get the idea. The whole thing seems pretty much a mess to me.

Thanks @SuprSuprElevated for letting me see what I can't unsee. LOL

Yes, I mostly agree with your overall assessment. I'll add the obligatory side slit; every woman wants her panties revealed when sitting.

The first few pieces were kinda crotchcentric, imo, and one looked like there was a triangle of a fur in that region. The rear-end of one dress had an oddly placed pooch.

The bird cages were symbolic, and these outfits were flighty. But to me the collection was Mae West  growling, "why doncha come up sometime and see me. Come on up, I'll tell your fortune." 

Many thanks again @SuprSuprElevated for sharing this video. Who is the man in your avatar? Who am I? 

• Love 3
On 2/16/2020 at 3:11 PM, Lemons said:

He has a line of eyeglass frames available at Walmart. I like that he has a presence in different price points.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

It's pretty common for designers to sell out accept endorsement/licensing fees for their name on any and every thing.

Though I wish they wouldn't do it, I do realize that making hay while the sun shines is a thing, and if someone would throw truckloads of money at me just for using my name, it would be difficult to turn down.

• Love 1

It’s that name that makes money. As Christian has said a couple of times, like when Ashley Longshore wanted a coat or something, “and make her pay for it.” So many celebrities, which should be high dollar clients, just want to borrow clothes or worse, get paid to wear them and advertise the brand.

Zac Posen, who dressed a lot of stars for red carpet, wasn’t able to make money and had to close his business. 

I’m really looking forward to the film about Halston, who “sold out” to JC Penney which eventually harmed him with the high fashion crowd.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6

I remember the Halston for JC Penney clothes in the JC Penney catalogs of the early ‘80s. 

Christian’s first big marketing/licensing deal was several years ago, a line at Payless shoe stores. Michael Kors sells very wearable ready-to-wear that goes for a fairly high price, and I’m sure most of the money that comes in is actually from the ubiquitous MK monogrammed handbags at every department store. 

Edited by caitmcg
To remove a random y.
  • Love 4
40 minutes ago, caitmcg said:

I remember the Halston for JC Penney clothes in the JC Penney catalogs of the early ‘80s. 

Christian’s first big marketing/licensing deal was several years ago, a line at Payless shoe stores. Michael Kors sells very wearable ready-to-wear that goes for a fairly high price, and I’m sure most of the money that comes in is actually from the ubiquitous MK monogrammed handbags at every department store. 

The accessories market is a money maker, but a "bad" line of that can make things really dip. I am not saying anything about Kate Spade as a person or her personal troubles at all, and I do not think this was any way related to that, but she put out a line with some poor quality brushed leather a few years ago. The bags were stiff, unyielding and actually looked like vinyl. It totally turned me off Kate Spade bags and I haven't purchased one since. I am convinced the company went with less expensive materials to increase profit margin. And it showed. 

I think you really have to establish in accessories. I know LV is moving from accessories to clothing and their clothing is quite frankly some whackadoo shit. It looks completely unmarketable. 

I appreciate that Christian isn't too good to put out a line with Payless. The man does need to make money.

• Love 4
14 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

The accessories market is a money maker, but a "bad" line of that can make things really dip. I am not saying anything about Kate Spade as a person or her personal troubles at all, and I do not think this was any way related to that, but she put out a line with some poor quality brushed leather a few years ago. The bags were stiff, unyielding and actually looked like vinyl. It totally turned me off Kate Spade bags and I haven't purchased one since. I am convinced the company went with less expensive materials to increase profit margin. And it showed.

FYI - she sold the majority of her company to Neiman Marcus in 1999 and she sold the remainder of her shares to them in 2006, so if the line you're referring to was any time in the last decade, she had nothing to do with the decision.

Neiman Marcus sold KS to Liz Claiborne in 2006 and they in turn sold it to Coach in 2017 so the high profit/low quality decision lies with one of them!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Useful 3
  • Love 1
On 3/28/2020 at 3:37 PM, Ms Blue Jay said:

Sorry if I missed it, but what is the real gossip/reason on why Heidi and Tim left PR?  Every answer I've read from them is so political.  Does anyone know?

I don't know for sure, but the impression I got was it was about the move back to Bravo more than the show itself.

• Love 2

According to an article in The Hollywood Reporter:

Heidi Klum and Tim Gunn explained why they decided to "jump ship" from Project Runway and create their Amazon show Making the Cut, which debuts March 27.

"Our imagination was bigger than what we were allowed to do," Klum told television press Tuesday in Pasadena. "Everything kind of fell apart." She said the move from Lifetime back to Bravo was either going to mean returning to the "same old same old" or it was an "opportunity to jump ship." She asked Gunn, "Do you want to jump with me?" Klum said, "It was scary.... We shopped it around and thought that Amazon was the best place, not only for the show but also for the designers."

Gunn hinted that executives at Project Runway were afraid of changing the format of the fashion reality show, even at the urging of Klum and Gunn. "We couldn’t break out of it because there was a fear — not among us, we’re the ones who were thinking creatively and innovatively about what we wanted to do."

• Useful 3
On 4/1/2020 at 10:18 AM, DEL901 said:

Can’t find the link, but Brandon’s team is also making masks.  

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/christian-siriano-brandon-maxwell-prada-create-protective-masks-curb-coronavirus-shortage-1286056

Christian Siriano, Brandon Maxwell, Prada and Armani are among the growing number of fashion brands using their sewing skills to make masks and medical gowns during the coronavirus pandemic ...... Michael Costello — who has styled Beyonce, Jennifer Lopez and Mariah Carey — joined this fight to lend a helping hand, too. He said he had been working for 24 hours, "glued to my machine in hopes of making prototypes of face masks." Costello explained that a contact in Los Angeles would produce surgical-grade masks that help prevent catching the coronavirus. "We will not be selling any of these but rather giving them away to all first responders, hospitals, and healthcare providers," he wrote on Instagram. 

Kudos to them. And to all the other people who are sewing masks in their homes to help out.

• Love 9
On 2/17/2020 at 6:41 PM, Rt66vintage said:

I'll check out pictures of Pickford and Bara; I'm not sure either, 🤔

Yes yes, late to the party - I'm fairly certain that's Nita Naldi, a vamp of the silent screen days.

• Useful 1
(edited)

Nancy Volpe from the most recent season was featured on local Philadelphia news. She's making face masks with a clear panel in the middle, so you can see facial expressions. Seems like a good idea!

https://www.fox29.com/video/735957

🤞🏾 with this link. Ugh, I don't think it's working properly. Let's try the 'Gram:

Cute, right!?

Edited by NowVoyager
  • Love 1

I’ve seen those advertised by various companies since..March? Particularly to help the hearing impaired. It’s to allow for lip reading. I’m sure Nancy’s are lovely and well-made, but it’s not her original idea.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
35 minutes ago, BlackberryJam said:

I’ve seen those advertised by various companies since..March? Particularly to help the hearing impaired. It’s to allow for lip reading. I’m sure Nancy’s are lovely and well-made, but it’s not her original idea.

I'm pretty sure I saw masks like that used on Grey's Anatomy in February when there was a deaf doctor consulting on a case.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I'm kind of glad Kloss is being replaced.  I liked her well enough, but I found her speech somewhat stilted. She probably would have improved over time, as Heidi certainly did.  Whoever it is, I'll be watching.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Gloriosa said:

I'm kind of glad Kloss is being replaced.  I liked her well enough, but I found her speech somewhat stilted. She probably would have improved over time, as Heidi certainly did.  Whoever it is, I'll be watching.

Iman?? Linda Evangelista? 

• Love 1
On 4/8/2021 at 11:22 AM, Gloriosa said:

I think Kloss would have improved as she went along, like Heidi and even Tyra Banks from America’s Top Model.

I’m ambivalent on who replaces her, it depends upon who it is. (I’m predicting a non-white person will be her replacement)

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
On 4/10/2021 at 8:51 PM, Stats Queen said:

I think Kloss would have improved as she went along, like Heidi and even Tyra Banks from America’s Top Model.

I’m ambivalent on who replaces her, it depends upon who it is. (I’m predicting a non-white person will be her replacement)

Please don't let it BE Tyra!

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
On 4/10/2021 at 6:51 PM, Stats Queen said:

11 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

Pretty safe prediction.

I'm all for it. In 18 seasons, the only color we've had in the judging/hosting are Nina and Elaine. There are plenty of non-white people who are capable of reading cue cards, announcing the challenges, and saying, "Nina, what do you think?" during judging.

• Love 7

Their Public Relations people seem to have been on vacation since April. I found more about Tim and Heidi's second season on Amazon (with the names of their new judges) than anything specific about PR. 

I think the last thing I saw without searching as that Christian was finalizing his divorce and it mentioned Project Runway.

21 hours ago, enoughcats said:

Michael Costello says Christie Tiegen bullied him until he was at the brink of suicide.

Leona Lewis said that Michael Costello was an unprofessional dick to her

I usually don’t speak on subjects like this. But honestly I feel that I have to say something as I’ve dealt with years of insecurity from it. I don’t condone any kind of bully behavior and I’m sorry for what Michael Costello went through. I wanted to share my experience in 2014. I was asked to take part in a fashion show to raise money for charity. Michael Costello was assigned as my designer. As an excited young woman, I flew all the way to New York and was so honored to work with him because I adored his dresses.

When I got to my fitting I was made to feel very awkward and uncomfortable as the dress was a sample size and he/his team clearly did not want to alter it to fit me. This came as a total surprise because weeks prior I was told that they would make the dress work for me. At the next fitting, the night before the show, with no explanation at all, Michael refused to turn up. He no longer wanted to dress me and he abandoned his commitments to me and the show which made me well aware that I wasn’t the body type required.

I was so embarrassed and deeply hurt. Because I didn’t look like a model size, I was not permitted to walk in his dress. I had to sit in the audience and was asked by press why I didn’t walk in the show. I remember having to come up with excuses as I was so humiliated by it all. I feel like I was made to look as though I pulled out and was being difficult and as an affect of those actions I suffered a lot, both personally and professionally. The most hurtful thing is that it was to raise money for charity, and this went against everything we were trying to do.

I was left with deep insecurities after this and I’ve had to work hard over the years to love my body. I’m so proud of how curves are celebrated today but back then it was a different story and there was hardly any representation for women who were not a standard small size. I know that his designs are catered to women of all sizes now, and I’m glad he saw the light over the years. We all make mistakes, I know I have, but at this time I feel that when people apologize (Chrissy) and show sincere remorse and rehabilitation for their actions, we should embrace them and not try and kick them when they’re down.

I’m not discounting Michael’s experience as that is an awful thing to go through and I wish him so much love and healing. I’m sure this will come as a shock as I never told him how this made me feel. But the pot calling the kettle black in this situation doesn’t sit right with me. Bullying comes in many different forms. We need love, we need accountability, we need forgiveness, none of us are perfect.

We are trying our best and learning. I’m sorry for anyone who has gone through any kind of bullying, I’m also sorry if I’ve ever hurt anyone without knowing it as I’m sure was the case with Michael.

• Love 3