Type keyword(s) to search

Project Runway In the Media

• Start Topic

The design is simple, though the pattern drafting, cutting, sewing and fitting processes add time.  CSir probably doesn't do all that himself these days.  He'll do the consultation with the client to determine what she wants, and pull some fabric swatches for her to choose from.  He most likely then has somebody else doing the measuring and everything else up until the first fitting.  Of course he would take care of that, but you know he has plenty of assistants for the grunt work. 

I've sewn all my life, and have also had clothing custom made for me, so I can't imagine he does everything himself.   

(edited)
8 hours ago, whimsey98 said:

Siriano and Jones did get together and he came up with a design that she looks like she enjoyed wearing:  https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/leslie-jones-looks-red-hot-161800735.html

With no offense meant to  Ashley, I don't think she could have done better.

The fact that she enjoyed wearing it is what makes it beautiful.

Ashley would have made that poor woman look like a hot mess with a flowerpot on her head.....and then cried about it.

No thanks.

Edited by RCharter
  • Love 6
8 hours ago, whimsey98 said:

Christian Siriano made the first lady's dress for the Dallas memorial.  Definitely not a 20 minute dress:  https://www.yahoo.com/style/christian-siriano-dressed-the-first-lady-for-the-first-time-for-a-very-somber-event-2-112643123.html

From his spring collection. 

He's such a class act, his comments were so thoughtful and heartfelt.  I wish Michelle would go back to shorter hair though, that long & stringy 'do is just not flattering in my opinion.  

I love the photo at the bottom has him dancing with Christina Hendricks.  I was hoping for a photo of what she wore, and the while lace is fabulous on her.  If anybody is his celebrity muse, I'd say it's Christina.  

• Love 1

I know this is a big ask but would somebody mind doing a screenshot of that announcement?

In Canada, we're not allowed to view the American version of the site, which to me is so incredibly stupid.  So we're blocked from all of that info.

At this rate, it will take 7 years to see the next 3 already renewed seasons.

Not that I'm complaining, necessarily, but it seems like Heidi has so much to do, each season gets pushed out further and further.

I'll watch it, because I can't NOT watch, but I wish they'd end it and put me out of my misery.

• Love 6

No apologies necessary! 

They're the ones who haven't updated. Kinda' lazy. September isn't that far away.

At least I see Zac Posen is participating. And we'll have Nina's tired sneer. And guest judges...

But wait! There's more! Another effing Tim Gunn save. argh

Precious little info on the Lifetime website and I couldn't get the google-overview link to work.

I would be so much happier if we could just have a season of watching Christian Siriano putting together his next collection, from concept to runway.  I would watch the hell out of that.  No competition AT ALL.  Just his talent, inspiration and incredible work ethic.  *sigh*  

Call it "Strictly Siriano" and let us have something actually worth watching. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 14
3 hours ago, Calamity Jane said:

Oh, my golly gosh, Tim Gunn just blasted Ashley out of the water in the Washington Post.  Along with every other major design house.  Good for him.  

When I started to read the article, I was sure Tim would talk about Ashley and was going to defend that godawful mess, and instead, he was brutally candid.  It's the wonderfully honest TG I miss from the old days when he blogged on the PR website, the TG from before UTG. 

And confirmed what everyone suspected about Ashley's win.

This season, something different happened: Ashley Nell Tipton won the contest with the show’s first plus-size collection. But even this achievement managed to come off as condescending. I’ve never seen such hideous clothes in my life: bare midriffs; skirts over crinoline, which give the clothes, and the wearer, more volume; see-through skirts that reveal panties; pastels, which tend to make the wearer look juvenile; and large-scale floral embellishments that shout “prom.” Her victory reeked of tokenism. One judge told me that she was “voting for the symbol” and that these were clothes for a “certain population.” I said they should be clothes all women want to wear. I wouldn’t dream of letting any woman, whether she’s a size 6 or a 16, wear them. Simply making a nod toward inclusiveness is not enough.

Edited by cattykit
  • Love 14

I was absolutely delighted to see this piece by Tim in the Washington Post. I especially loved that he called out the pandering judging for Ashley Nell Tipton's win.

This season, something different happened: Ashley Nell Tipton won the contest with the show’s first plus-size collection. But even this achievement managed to come off as condescending. I’ve never seen such hideous clothes in my life: bare midriffs; skirts over crinoline, which give the clothes, and the wearer, more volume; see-through skirts that reveal panties; pastels, which tend to make the wearer look juvenile; and large-scale floral embellishments that shout “prom.” Her victory reeked of tokenism. One judge told me that she was “voting for the symbol” and that these were clothes for a “certain population.” I said they should be clothes all women want to wear. I wouldn’t dream of letting any woman, whether she’s a size 6 or a 16, wear them. Simply making a nod toward inclusiveness is not enough.

This description by Tim was absolutely how I felt about the clothing Ashley designed. I'm a plus-sized woman, so I had wanted so badly to be able to feel supportive of Ashley because I'd like to see more high fashion for all shapes and sizes, but what she produced was some of the most hideous work I've ever seen on the show.

And Tim was exactly right -- I was flabbergasted at Ashley's designs because they weren't marketable. There is a difference between being curvy and dressing to flatter yourself -- and being utterly tone-deaf about what flatters a larger figure. At the beginning of her season, I had at first had liked that Ashley had often dressed herself in outfits most plus-size women would not typically choose -- for instance, sleeveless outfits, or dresses that accentuated her weight instead of minimizing it.

But eventually I felt it was a kind of blindness, and that showed in her collection. Very, very few plus-size women would dream of baring and emphasizing midriffs and back fat, of wearing sleeveless garments or sheer, undies-revealing horrors -- much less crinolines or cartoonishly wide skirts. And the florals and patterns were everything I used to hate about plus-size clothing (let's disguise her as a hedge! Or as a work of modern art!) etc.

So I'm just so glad Tim spoke up so candidly here. He'll probably get in trouble again, as he has in the past when criticizing the show, but he has a point, and I appreciated that he was both diplomatic and supportive of fashion for women of all ages and sizes.

One judge told me that she was “voting for the symbol” and that these were clothes for a “certain population.” I said they should be clothes all women want to wear. I wouldn’t dream of letting any woman, whether she’s a size 6 or a 16, wear them. Simply making a nod toward inclusiveness is not enough.

I'm dying to know which judge this was. I'm kind of suspecting it was Heidi, just because I don't quite think Nina would vote simply to make a statement, while Heidi seemed more enthusiastic about Ashley's mission far more than her clothes. Hmm.

• Love 18

Have you shopped retail for size 14-plus clothing? Based on my experience shopping with plus-size women, it’s a horribly insulting and demoralizing experience. Half the items make the body look larger, with features like ruching, box pleats and shoulder pads. Pastels and large-scale prints and crazy pattern-mixing abound, all guaranteed to make you look infantile or like a float in a parade. Adding to this travesty is a major department-store chain that makes you walk under a marquee that reads “WOMAN.” What does that even imply? That a “woman” is anyone larger than a 12, and everyone else is a girl? It’s mind-boggling.

The above is a short excerpt from Gunn's article. I applaud it in spades and second his opinion.

A few years ago I was shopping in Lord and Taylors, plus (Women's) department. I was a size 22. I was looking for a couple of nice sweaters for winter. Nada. Okay, they had sweaters but I was looking for cashmere; I like cashmere; it's relatively lightweight and very warm. It's expensive but good quality will easily last a decade or more. Nada. Zilch. I asked the very nice salesclerk. Sorry, they weren't carrying it in Plus this season and hadn't had any last year either. Just then the store manager happened by and I asked him. He was very nice and a bit defensive and apologetic, saying corporate simply wasn't shipping any in + sizes. Politely (L&T is pretty much always polite, a good thing) I responded that I liked his store but if they weren't going to carry what I wanted to buy I'd have to spend my $ elsewhere. Nodding agreement, he asked if I'd put that in writing so he could send it in with his monthly (or whatever) report. I did and have no idea if it had any effect. Not long after I was forced to lose weight to help my crap knees and now shop in the regular areas of the store--at least 6-8 X's the size of +.

They lost sales from me that day. Just saying.

• Love 5

Loved his article and give him a lot of credit for biting the hand that feeds him with an honest critique of Ashley's collection. If she wants to dress like that, more power to her. But a collection is, by the very definition offered on Project Runway, supposed to appeal to a wide variety of retailers and customers.

He took the designers to task but didn't mention design schools. I've heard PR contestants fresh from school talk about the mannequins being a size 2, so they genuinely haven't been taught to design anything for a larger size. That has to end. Along with the idea that being an artist always trumps designing clothes that flatter. If designers continue to feel their clothes will only display well on human coat hangers nothing will change.

I feel like on the next season they should throw down the gauntlet on the "real woman challenge." Every time a designer whines about it, they get an hour cut off the time they have to work.

• Love 13

I have to defend Ashley a little here. I feel like there is an underlying assumption about plus size clothing is that its purpose is to make fat people look less fat. If it doesn't accomplish that, then it fails. My impression was that Ashley was trying to ignore that assumption and just design fun clothing for someone her size and age. Now whether or not she accomplished that is one thing, but I don't think she should be considered a failure because she chose not to make fat people look less fat in her designs.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, Lamb18 said:

I have to defend Ashley a little here. I feel like there is an underlying assumption about plus size clothing is that its purpose is to make fat people look less fat. If it doesn't accomplish that, then it fails. My impression was that Ashley was trying to ignore that assumption and just design fun clothing for someone her size and age. Now whether or not she accomplished that is one thing, but I don't think she should be considered a failure because she chose not to make fat people look less fat in her designs.

Tim did say that he thought it was hideous regardless of the size, and he wouldn't recommend anyone, be they size 6 or size 16, dress that way.

Personally I don't mind her overall aesthetic, but the execution was not to my taste.  But hey, everyone is allowed to have their opinion, and Tim's was that he didn't like the looks period, size aside.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, pigs-in-space said:

Tim did say that he thought it was hideous regardless of the size, and he wouldn't recommend anyone, be they size 6 or size 16, dress that way.

I LOVE that Tim Gunn wrote this article.  I miss seeing this Tim Gunn on PR. 

The average American woman is a size 12-14.   As the judges so often say during their runway critiques:  "No woman, regardless of how thin she is, wants to wear something that makes her hips look bigger!"  Sure, there are probably exceptions to this, as with everything.  In my experience I've gone shopping with probably a dozen different women who are plus size.  I've never met one who didn't want to find styles that flattered her figure. 

I absolutely HATED Ashley's designs, and certainly felt that the judges pandered to the symbolic over the aesthetic...which, in itself, is condescending imo. 

• Love 8
6 hours ago, phantom said:

Along with the idea that being an artist always trumps designing clothes that flatter. If designers continue to feel their clothes will only display well on human coat hangers nothing will change.

I agree. The question becomes whether a person decides to consider their designs pure art or wearable fashion. While it can sometimes be both, that's not always the case. If your challenge as an artist or designer is to design clothes, then--basically by definition--they should be wearable and, preferably, not by just a select few. I spent 30+ years as a theatrical designer, have the degree and everything. It's called show business for a reason--it's a business to make $, as is the fashion business.

Yes, designing for a plus size (as I was for decades) has different problems to solve but a good designer should have the skills to meet the problems and solve them. If not, then they clearly limit themselves both as designers and as potentially people worth hiring. Stores want to sell clothing, museums want to display textile arts--not necessarily mutually exclusive but not always the same, either.

• Love 4

I have regained some of the respect I have lost for Tim. He has just seemed "not Tim" the last couple years. Like someone was pressuring him to  keep his mouth shut but create more dramatic tension. This feels to me like he is taking himself back from the marketing/promotions people.

• Love 6
19 hours ago, lidarose9 said:

I have regained some of the respect I have lost for Tim. He has just seemed "not Tim" the last couple years. Like someone was pressuring him to  keep his mouth shut but create more dramatic tension. This feels to me like he is taking himself back from the marketing/promotions people.

Absolute agreement. 

I was SO happy to read that piece, it "felt" like the TG we loved and most importantly RESPECTED from the early seasons of PR.  Hopefully, his honesty is coming from the constructive place it USED to come from, and he won't get much negative backlash. 

Welcome back, Mr. Gunn.  We missed you. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 8

One thing I want to note is that, as a plus-sized woman, shopping online has been a godsend for me over the past 10+ years. I remember when my only options were department stores or Lane Bryant, and LB was always very hit or miss for me. And it was worse slogging through those plus-size sections with the inconsistent sizing, hideous crayon-colored jackets, or blouses that looked like jungle explosions..

Luckily, times have changed. If you know your body size and measurements, online shopping means that you can get genuinely pretty, beautiful clothes that you can feel pretty in no matter what your size.

On 9/9/2016 at 10:41 AM, phantom said:

He took the designers to task but didn't mention design schools. I've heard PR contestants fresh from school talk about the mannequins being a size 2, so they genuinely haven't been taught to design anything for a larger size. That has to end. Along with the idea that being an artist always trumps designing clothes that flatter. If designers continue to feel their clothes will only display well on human coat hangers nothing will change.

I feel like on the next season they should throw down the gauntlet on the "real woman challenge." Every time a designer whines about it, they get an hour cut off the time they have to work.

So well said. I agree 100% -- see also what Christian Siriano said recently as well (farther down). I actually think when learning this kind of skill, it's imperative to learn ALL aspects. Designers should leave design school knowing how to design for women, for men, for kids, and for all shapes and sizes. It can't possibly ever be time that is wasted, and acquiring those abilities will ONLY help them be better designers (and reach larger audiences).

On 9/9/2016 at 10:43 AM, Lamb18 said:

I would agree that Ashley's clothing is definitely not designed to make a heavy woman look thinner, and like I said, I wanted to like her for that because I get that she was (clumsily) making the point of "we might be heavier body types but we can still wear anything we want." But there's a difference between looks that celebrate a woman's curves and those that actually accentuate her flaws and (to me) run the risk of actually humiliating the woman or making her feel more vulnerable to criticism.

And ultimately for me, it still comes down to the clothes. I just don't think her looks were flattering (for the most part -- I do remember liking a few of her very early looks in the season) to ANY body type, and I thought the clothes themselves were actually ugly.

For me it's not about making a plus-size woman look thinner, but about flattering her shape. Whether she's shaped like a stick or an apple, there are ways to dress any body shape that will flatter the woman (regardless of if she actually looks slimmer), and which will combine with color and texture to make her look and feel beautiful. 

On 9/9/2016 at 8:48 PM, lidarose9 said:

I have continued to like Tim despite his occasional bitchy moments over the past several years -- I think at heart he still comes across as a pretty kind, caring person overall. But I was delighted to see this piece because it was an extension of the Tim I saw on his "Guide to Style" show, where he was vocally supportive of women of all ages and body types, and simply wanted to help them look and feel their best.

1 hour ago, whimsey98 said:

That was AMAZING. I love that, and best of all, the quote from Christian near the end is just superb:

“It shouldn’t be exceptional to work with brilliant people just because they’re not sample size. Congrats aren’t in order, a change is.”

Not only is he RIGHT, the thing that still floors me is, he shows an understanding that, "Hey, if I design for all shapes, I might, y'know, get MORE CUSTOMERS."

Which is the whole point of Tim's piece as well. Designers are missing out on MILLIONS in potential revenue by deciding that average or plus-size women aren't worth designing for.

• Love 6

Well, now that I've seen the ads showing the new season starting on the 15th, I'll slap on my "hypocrite" badge and rescind what I said a page back about NOT watching this go-round.  *LOL*  

Those words from Tim have given me hope that maybe we won't be so weighed down by a crapload of untalented whiners who only want to produce fake drama and gain social media followers!  Sure, there will be some of the usual, but I'm feeling cautiously optimistic at the moment.  

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 1
On 9/11/2016 at 0:06 PM, NewDigs said:

Looks like his collection is at Lane Bryant.

I know there are mixed feelings in regards Lane Bryant but CS really shows 'em how it's done.

Take that, Ashley.

I like his collection. I don't wear a plus size but CS's clothes look like, well, real clothes for real women of all sizes- not only for swizzle sticks.  What i really like is how everything from his ripped jeans to work clothes to more formal wear looks stylish and attractive without going over the edge like Ashley did in so many of her pieces.  

• Love 3

I applaud Tim Gunn for speaking out about Ashley Tipton's final collection. I imagine that she must not be feeling great after reading his comments, but in my opinion, he's right about what he said. It was a completely undeserved win based solely on the design and execution of the clothes. Her win was more about a plus-size collection winning when it wasn't even well-made or appealing. 

• Love 6

I don't know if this is the best thread for this but has any one noticed how many spelling mistakes are on Lifetime's Project Runway website? Just take a look at Dexter's profile page. http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/cast/dexter-simmons He's listed as being from "Okland," and people who bought his clothes, "diffidently gave me the confidence..."  I misspell ALL the time but the website errors are just surprising since this is a major cable network and a major show.

• Love 2

I'm happy he opened his mouth about the hideous Ashley collection. Good to read, too, that Christian Sipriano is doing it and doing it well. I admit, I wanted to stick a fork in Tim Gunn's head after his Swapnil-related BS. Hope I don't see THAT Tim again any time soon.  

• Love 2

That column by Tim Gunn was beautiful, unlike Ashley's designs. Ashley's sweet, but her designs are hideous; otoh, Christian Siriano's plus-size collection is elegant, fun, chic and sexy, everything Ashley's PR final runway collection was not.  

TG's dissing Kanye West's latest shitty collection on GMA was even better. He not only called out the clothes themselves, he called out anyone who's stupid enough to praise and/or buy them.

On 9/9/2016 at 1:41 PM, phantom said:

And should also get 15 minutes off their time in Mood. 

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, nb360 said:

I don't know if this is the best thread for this but has any one noticed how many spelling mistakes are on Lifetime's Project Runway website? Just take a look at Dexter's profile page. http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/cast/dexter-simmons He's listed as being from "Okland," and people who bought his clothes, "diffidently gave me the confidence..."  I misspell ALL the time but the website errors are just surprising since this is a major cable network and a major show.

Wow!  That's appalling.

I applaud Tim Gunn for speaking out about Ashley Tipton's final collection. I imagine that she must not be feeling great after reading his comments, but in my opinion, he's right about what he said. It was a completely undeserved win based solely on the design and execution of the clothes. Her win was more about a plus-size collection winning when it wasn't even well-made or appealing. 

ITA. I was gob-smacked at the judges' gushing over that show, especially in contrast to Kelly's lovely collection. Her collection reminded me of what Tracy Turnblad would have worn in Hairspray - fine for a John Waters film, not so fine for a woman living in the real world in 2015-16.  I wish I still had that episode, I can't remember what Tim said during the home visit.

• Love 4

I'm glad Tim finally said what we've all been thinking and feeling.  Additionally, I feel that if they wanted to crown a plus-size collection, then they should have brought Korto back and finally given her the win.  I realize Korto designs for all body types, which is probably why they didn't.

• Love 2

Here's the zap2it  for December's finale. I was concerned they'd drag it out beyond the holidays.

I spoilered the show descriptions. Just in case. No winner/loser info. 

Social Thread: An Unconventional Trip NEW

Spoiler

The designers learn they have yet another trip, with twists and turns that will decide which designers compete at New York Fashion week.

Thu 12/15  8:00pm-8:50pm

Project Rewind  NEW

Thu 12/15  8:50pm-9:00pm

Finale, Part 1  NEW

Spoiler

Zendaya joins Heidi Klum, Nina Garcia, Zac Posen and Tim Gunn on the runway as the guest judge for the finale.

Thu 12/15 9:00pm-11:02pm

Finale, Part 2 FINALE NEW

Spoiler

Zendaya joins Heidi Klum, Nina Garcia, Zac Posen and Tim Gunn on the runway as the guest judge; choosing the winner.

Thu 12/22   8:00pm-10:02pm

Fri 12/23  12:02am-2:04am

Edited by NewDigs
Add time for finale 1
On 9/17/2016 at 5:58 PM, Mumbles said:

ITA. I was gob-smacked at the judges' gushing over that show, especially in contrast to Kelly's lovely collection. Her collection reminded me of what Tracy Turnblad would have worn in Hairspray - fine for a John Waters film, not so fine for a woman living in the real world in 2015-16.  I wish I still had that episode, I can't remember what Tim said during the home visit.

Here are the home visits for season 14.  Ashley is first.  ouch

http://www.mylifetime.com/shows/project-runway/season-14/episode-13

They all think Tim loved their collections!  He didn't.  Damning with faint praise works.  

Edited by wings707
On 9/17/2016 at 8:07 AM, nb360 said:

I have a feeling the designers each filled out an online form and that is what was posted, and those are Dexter's own mistakes.  No one else's I read is like that, and Roberi's has some very mild English mistakes, which is what you'd expect.  

I kind of feel like if Dexter can't spellcheck his own tv show bio, good for them for posting it as is.