Type keyword(s) to search

Project Runway In the Media

• Start Topic

21 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

The coffee filter dress!

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/3172/996/1600/Top5LooksMichaelKnightWalltoWall5.png

The Pam Grier Tribute Hot Pants!

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/57/89/fe/5789fe2d59ff7139b5b59a9b5520adf4--bravo-tv-d-fashion.jpg

Ah, season 3!  I always liked him too.  I'm very sad he died so young.

His creativity and vision were incredible. I wish he would've won his season.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Eulipian 5k said:

I don't think there is anything wrong with TWC requiring actresses who are publicizing their movies to wear a Marchesa gown  on the red carpet. It's an industry event. Look at how actresses, etc, are replacing fashion models on the cover of all fashion magazines.

I totally disagree. That's like saying it's okay for your boss to tell you that when you eat lunch during the workday, you have to buy your lunch from the catering company that his girlfriend runs. NOPE.

Actresses have always been looked to as fashion icons. Having them on the cover of fashion magazines is not a new thing. Even back in ye olden days before Etsy and the prom department at Macys, dress shops would produce knock offs of what actresses wore. None of this is new and it's no reason to threaten actresses who have the audacity to want to choose their own dresses.

6 hours ago, BlackberryJam said:

If it's part of the contract, sure. But if it's not, it is a problem to force someone to wear your spouse's clothing line on the red carpet. Those actresses had no contract with and were not getting paid by Marchesa. 

Exactly. None of these actresses had contracts with Marchesa. Their contracts for the movie roles they took said nothing about having to wear dresses by The Beautiful Georgina Chapman. They were bullied into wearing her dresses because once again, Harvey Weinstein was abusing his position of authority to force people to do what suited his personal agenda.

• Love 14
7 hours ago, Tabbygirl521 said:

I might be imagining this but I seem to remember seeing a picture of Felicity Huffman in Marchessa and thinking it was weird, as it didn't seem her style at all. I need to remember if/where I came across that. 

It was posted on the previous page of this thread so maybe that's where you saw it? Honestly it's getting hard to keep all the different stories from women who have had to deal with Weinstein straight at this point so I don't blame you for not remembering when and where you saw it!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:
18 hours ago, Eulipian 5k said:

I don't think there is anything wrong with TWC requiring actresses who are publicizing their movies to wear a Marchesa gown  on the red carpet. It's an industry event. Look at how actresses, etc, are replacing fashion models on the cover of all fashion magazines.

I totally disagree. That's like saying it's okay for your boss to tell you that when you eat lunch during the workday, you have to buy your lunch from the catering company that his girlfriend runs. NOPE.

Happens all the time, some people work where they have to eat onsite, or buy work related equipment from affiliated stores, or buy text books from the professor. Attending the Oscars and strolling the red carpet is not unrelated to the large publicity industry that is Hollywood. Now if they forced people to wear Marchesa to go to the grocery store.... maybe. Also, this is admittedly tangential to the morass Harvey  put himself and his victims in.

Harvey should be "strung up" for sexual harassment/rape in the work place, but "oh wait, he also made me wear Cha-Cha's gown"... not the real issue here.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, Eulipian 5k said:

Happens all the time, some people work where they have to eat onsite, or buy work related equipment from affiliated stores, or buy text books from the professor. Attending the Oscars and strolling the red carpet is not unrelated to the large publicity industry that is Hollywood. Now if they forced people to wear Marchesa to go to the grocery store.... maybe. Also, this is admittedly tangential to the morass Harvey  put himself and his victims in.

Harvey should be "strung up" for sexual harassment/rape in the work place, but "oh wait, he also made me wear Cha-Cha's gown"... not the real issue here.

It is part of the issue here. It's depends the contract. People who are required to eat onsite are aware of that when they sign on. It's part of the terms of employment. The same with purchasing uniforms or work-related equipment. To do the job, you have to have X which can be purchased at Y. But realistically, you can go to Amazon and by X as well.

Being told you have to wear a gown which is in no way affiliated with the movie you just made or all publicity will be pulled from your film is wrong. Of course the other things Harvey did were worse, so so so much worse. But this one isn't nothing.

Edited by BlackberryJam
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, BlackberryJam said:

It is part of the issue here. It's depends the contract. People who are required to eat onsite are aware of that when they sign on. It's part of the terms of employment. The same with purchasing uniforms or work-related equipment. To do the job, you have to have X which can be purchased at Y. But realistically, you can go to Amazon and by X as well.

Being told you have to wear a gown which is in no way affiliated with the movie you just made or all publicity will be pulled from your film is wrong. Of course the other things Harvey did were worse, so so so much worse. But this one isn't nothing.

Exactly! As for a professor making you buy a certain textbook, they can use specific books for class but most of the time, you still have options: you can buy at the campus bookstore, order from Amazon/other websites, borrow from another student, etc. The university I attended also had all required textbooks on reserve in the library so you could access the books for free. And then there are always some people who decide they don't need all the required books for a course. 

If you have lunch onsite at work, even if there's a company cafeteria, most of the time you can still bring food from home, have food delivered, etc. Unless you work in extreme circumstances, like bring stationed in Antarctica (as my friend was) you still have options. 

But again, if it's not in your contract, your employer can't make you do these things. If it's not in your contract AND your employer is just making you do XYZ to benefit a friend or family member, that's even shadier. 

Yes, it's all relative so in comparison forcing actresses to wear his girlfriend's dresses isn't as bad as raping them, but if we're going down that slippery slope, that's like saying, "Well at least he didn't murder anyone." Just because he didn't do something WORSE doesn't make his transgressions okay.* The "real issue" (as the previous poster called it) is that he has shown a pattern of abusing his power in many different ways. 

* Similarly, Margarita's "I ONLY measured a tank top" doesn't excuse the fact that she broke the rules and cheated. Whether she measured one tank top or every item in her wardrobe, what she did was still wrong. Trying to minimize someone's wrongdoing by comparing it to something else is a mere attempt at distraction. 

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 7

It may not be in the contract to attend my boss' stupid golf outing , but it's not illegal for me to lose a promotion by not going. The Oscars, et.al., are an industry events for anyone in the Fashion, Movie, Magazine business.

"Working for the company store" has been a long time lament going back to the beginning of factory/industry work; but it isn't illegal, it just means your company is a moneygrubbing bully, bfd, find one that isn't. I don't think Apples are used at Microsoft , except in the research dept. Let's separate a despicable crime of violence and intimidation from "strong arm" marketing.

ps. whenever the professor put a book "On reserve" at the  library all copies were always checked out ! LOL

Edited by Eulipian 5k
gwammar
  • Love 2
35 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

* Similarly, Margarita's "I ONLY measured a tank top" doesn't excuse the fact that she broke the rules and cheated. Whether she measured one tank top or every item in her wardrobe, what she did was still wrong. Trying to minimize someone's wrongdoing by comparing it to something else is a mere attempt at distraction. 

Assuming you  meant Claire here. Otherwise, I agree with you 100%!

• Love 2
1 minute ago, dleighg said:

Yeah, but the Windows machines are purchased for the employee by the company.

Aren't all gowns and jewelry on the red carpet loaned, not given, or even sold, to the actors? When I go to the Apple store with my I-Pod, NO-ONE will help me if it uses Windows, (money grubbing bullies, I tell ya).

• Love 4
15 minutes ago, carrps said:

Assuming you  meant Claire here. Otherwise, I agree with you 100%!

Hahaha, yes, I meant Claire! Obviously I shouldn't post before I have coffee or some kind of caffeine!

19 minutes ago, Eulipian 5k said:

whenever the professor put a book "On reserve" at the  library all copies were always checked out ! LOL

My school only let reserved textbooks get checked out for three hours at a time so people couldn't hog them all semester!

• Love 1

Stars are definitely loaned just about every item that appears on their bodies when they walk any red carpet, not just Oscars.  I know the donors of gowns and jewelry have their people on-site, ready to take it all back.  Although they are given shoes as well, I'm not as sure if they are taken back.

Heck, many of them don't even pay for their own make-up or hair-dos.

On 10/19/2017 at 1:23 AM, jrlr said:
On 10/19/2017 at 0:00 AM, Tabbygirl521 said:

I might be imagining this but I seem to remember seeing a picture of Felicity Huffman in Marchessa and thinking it was weird, as it didn't seem her style at all. I need to remember if/where I came across that. 

Not imagining it:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/felicity-huffman-says-true-harvey-weinstein-threatened-her-career-she-didnt-wear-marchesa-1048760

On 10/19/2017 at 10:08 AM, Tabbygirl521 said:

Thank you! She doesn't look super excited, does she?

Unless they FORCED her to choose this particular not-very-red-carpet-dress I don't know why she didn't pick a different, prettier Marchesa dress - that dress doesn't even fit her.   For Christ's sake Marchesa does make very pretty, Empress of the World formal/ballgown type dresses that are perfect for the red carpet - it's kind of what they do.

• Love 4

And it begins....

So, Harvey Weinstein backed Project Runway in order to have access to models. Some similar, gross, predatory details like we've already heard from various actresses. Bleech!!! I think this is only the tip of the iceberg. I think the future of the show is questionable :/

New Weinstein accuser 'defended herself with broken glass' | Daily Mail Online

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5005811/New-Weinstein-accuser-defended-broken-glass.html

• Love 2

Harvey Weinstein's penis is NOT going to take down this show. 

It will end when Heidi decides to Auf the whole thing, and not just because Harv has a problem with weenie wagging.  It still makes a lot of money, it still has a lot of viewers and until Heidi & Nina get bored, it will keep shuffling on.  

The next season of "All Stars" has already been completed and set to be aired next Spring, complete with the beautiful Georgina Chapman on the judging panel.  Things will go on as they always do, even when a scandal hits.   Too much cash has already been spent. 

I could possibly see Heidi pulling the plug next fall, because she is about the BUSINESS and the MONEY.  She's a smart cookie, I really do not see her taking the loss unless it's her decision. There may not be a season 17, but I doubt it's because Weinstein is a twisted pervert. 

• Love 1

Today's front page of the LATimes digital edition had a major story about Weinstein, Project Runway and Weinstein wanting Project Runway to give him access to super models.

HUH?

Supermodels aren't on PR.  Supermodels haven't done much judging on PR. (Wannabe names who aspire to be designers come on  as judges.  Or at least they used to.  But I can't think of a whole lot of , or any, supermodels who've been important to the show.  Heidi, who is now called a supermodel has never been a runway model for clothes, only for Victoria's Secret IIRC. 

I could be forgetting some very important people?  But I don't think I've seen Harvey OR supermodels hanging around the PR season finales.  

6 minutes ago, enoughcats said:

Today's front page of the LATimes digital edition had a major story about Weinstein, Project Runway and Weinstein wanting Project Runway to give him access to super models

Maybe the word "super" was the only incorrect part of it. But I saw that story originally on the Daily Mail, which isn't exactly the WSJ or NYT. I dunno about the LATimes.

Yep, the Cindy, Christie, Elle, Iman, Claudia decades.  They were "super" because they were runway, print,media AND dated rockstars.  Today they're considered "super" if they know a Kardashian or have been in a Taylor Swift video.  

The bar is set VERY low these days.  About like their IQ's.

• Love 10
14 hours ago, NowVoyager said:

And it begins....

So, Harvey Weinstein backed Project Runway in order to have access to models. Some similar, gross, predatory details like we've already heard from various actresses. Bleech!!! I think this is only the tip of the iceberg. I think the future of the show is questionable :/

New Weinstein accuser 'defended herself with broken glass' | Daily Mail Online

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5005811/New-Weinstein-accuser-defended-broken-glass.html

From the article:
"In the early 2000s, Weinstein capitalized on the growing trend of putting Hollywood actresses on the front of fashion magazines by helping to connect the fashion industry with A-listers."

Used by very advanced codebreaking skills:
fashion industry = Marchesa
A-listers = actresses in films produced by his company
connect = forced

• Love 4

The next season of "All Stars" has already been completed and set to be aired next Spring, complete with the beautiful Georgina Chapman on the judging panel.  Things will go on as they always do, even when a scandal hits.   Too much cash has already been spent. 

Well, I hope so, but please remember back to last month when a PR challenge was inspired by the film Leap which was released by, yup, The Weinstein Company. It's entirely possible that the All Stars season has a challenge surrounding another Weinstein film or television series that now may never see the light of day.

• Love 2

Check out this video shot 14 years ago with a very young Kanye West and Liris Crosse.  Apparently, they were an item before he got big (or big-headed, depending on your POV).  She is 25 in this video (if you trust one source, which puts her present age as 37), Kanye 26.  It's about a year before his first album was released.

http://www.worldstarhiphop.com/videos/video.php?v=wshhJAKZ51w4U76jMiSv

Liris appeared in Jay-Z's Do It Again video in 1999 when she was 21.  She is seen briefly, coming into a club down some stairs.  Wearing a gold dress.  I haven't linked it but it is easy to find.

• Love 2

If she was really 25, that plus 14 years makes her 39 today.  Is she really ten to fifteen years older than the other models?  Interesting because there has been some commentary round these parts that if PR is going to feature models of various sizes it would be nice if they also did models of various ages.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, ratgirlagogo said:

If she was really 25, that plus 14 years makes her 39 today.  Is she really ten to fifteen years older than the other models?  Interesting because there has been some commentary round these parts that if PR is going to feature models of various sizes it would be nice if they also did models of various ages.

According to the Daily Mail, she was 32 in 2015, so she's 34 now. (Of course, consider the source...)

But this nbc article about her talks about her 20+ career in modeling, with this excerpt:

Crosse played sports throughout high school and embarked on her modeling career at 16. While attending modeling conventions, she met agents and magazine editors from across the country that mostly encouraged her to lose weight.

So, I think she is on the upper end of 36 or 37.  Also, she was in the JayZ video Do It Again in 1999, and if she was born in 1983, she was only 16 in that video.  I doubt she made that immediately upon starting her modeling career.  

• Love 1

Aren't all gowns and jewelry on the red carpet loaned, not given, or even sold, to the actors? When I go to the Apple store with my I-Pod, NO-ONE will help me if it uses Windows, (money grubbing bullies, I tell ya)

Yes.  In fact, some actresses/stylists get PAID to wear a designer outfit. But that's tomorrow's scandal. Your comment reminds me of an incident years ago when I lived in Rochester, NY -- back when EVERYBODY worked at Kodak.  When I was working in Rochester but not at Kodak, my boss gave me a box of Fuji film for my vacation photos as he had just returned from China where Fuji was more popular.  Not thinking too much of it, I used the film and gave it to my cousin TO GET PROCESSED FOR FREE at Kodak where he worked.  Trust me, I still haven't heard the end of THAT ... 

• Love 4
On 10/27/2017 at 8:51 PM, AuntieDiane6 said:

Fuji was more popular.  Not thinking too much of it, I used the film and gave it to my cousin TO GET PROCESSED FOR FREE at Kodak where he worked.  Trust me, I still haven't heard the end of THAT ... 

Fuji had the BEST film, the deep reds and blues! But wait .. what is this "film" thing you speak of, 20th century person? How much many megabytes is that?

Edited by Eulipian 5k
much n such
  • Love 2

Well, I'd say three of them really like each other. Ayana may not want to be photographed huggy-like with Brandon or Kentaro, and since Kenya is between those two, that means Margarita is next to Brandon. She seems to be turning away from him.

Brandon seems to not know what to do with himself, but doesn't appear to mind Kenya hooking her arm through his and leaning on him. I think he might just be someone who feels awkward a lot.

• Love 3

Leanne Marshall is back on the scene, dressing a singer from the CMA awards......very pretty.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/cma-awards/2017-cma-awards-celeb-style-hits-and-misses/ss-BBEKzEf?li=BBnb7Kz#image=16

And just to show her most recent collection.....I think she's incredibly talented and these are gorgeous.  Danielle's dress is there.....

http://www.leannemarshall.com/fall-winter-2017-18/

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, leighdear said:

Leanne Marshall is back on the scene, dressing a singer from the CMA awards......very pretty.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/music/cma-awards/2017-cma-awards-celeb-style-hits-and-misses/ss-BBEKzEf?li=BBnb7Kz#image=16

And just to show her most recent collection.....I think she's incredibly talented and these are gorgeous.  Danielle's dress is there.....

http://www.leannemarshall.com/fall-winter-2017-18/

That runway was gorgeous!

• Love 5

http://radiotvtalk.blog.ajc.com/2017/11/11/atlantas-kenya-freeman-heartened-by-fans-irate-over-her-project-runway-ouster/?ecmp=socialflow_ajc

check out the link to Kenya's clothes- you can buy a version of the black finale dress, and a petal jacket! https://tanishaworld.wixsite.com/sylviamollie

and yes this link says there will be a reunion two weeks after Finale pt 2 (break for thanksgiving)

Edited by betha
  • Love 2