Type keyword(s) to search

S05.E01: Folie à Deux

When a serial bomber becomes active again after being dormant for six years, Watson seeks help from Shinwell Johnson, a former patient whose life she saved when she was a surgeon. Also, Holmes senses Watson is unhappy and questions whether she is still fulfilled by her detective career.

Promo:

Either my hearing is much worse all of a sudden, or the mumbling was much worse than usual. At first I thought they were deliberately having Sherlock be incoherent because he had a concussion after the collision with a car.

Also, why did Joan fare OK going sleeveless when her ex-con friend needed a coat?

Funny: "What kind of a name is 'Sherlock'?"

• Love 11

I can understand Joan's outfits actually because it's been the hottest summer in New York that I can ever remember, and it didn't cool down until very recently.  

I was afraid that the former patient friend was going to turn out to be the other bomber, glad it wasn't him.

Interesting that the title of this episode was the same as a title of an episode of Law and Order Criminal Intent, and the initial setup of a crime re-occurring after a period of time was also the setup of LOCI's "Shibboleth".

• Love 6
13 minutes ago, possibilities said:

Either my hearing is much worse all of a sudden, or the mumbling was much worse than usual. At first I thought they were deliberately having Sherlock be incoherent because he had a concussion after the collision with a car.

Also, why did Joan fare OK going sleeveless when her ex-con friend needed a coat?

Funny: "What kind of a name is 'Sherlock'?"

I watch this show primarily for Joan's wardrobe and Sherlock's diction. And it was the hottest summer everywhere this side of the Mississippi and beyond, so I'm guessing the ruse to get a coat to cover concealing the gun will come up later. What really bugged me though, was Joan wearing form fitting outfits around a recently released felon. They could have dresses her stylishly in a looser fitting garment and less hooker height heels.

• Love 4
20 minutes ago, roseha said:

Interesting that the title of this episode was the same as a title of an episode of Law and Order Criminal Intent, and the initial setup of a crime re-occurring after a period of time was also the setup of LOCI's "Shibboleth"

I thought the exact same thing! (And, hey, two of its cast members [Kathryn Erbe, Eric Bogosian] have also guest starred, too!)

• Love 1
3 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

They could have dresses her stylishly in a looser fitting garment and less hooker height heels.

Huh?  Well he'd already helped her, presumably owes her for saving his life, maintained his temper when basically spit upon and oh, yes, in NY it's probably hard to walk a block without a former felon on it.  If one is inclined to rape you, it probably doesn't matter what you're wearing.

....anyway came here to say that was Layfayette from TrueBlood, (!!) did not recognize him but you cannot forget or mistake the voice!  He is so good a bit part got turned into a major recurring player on TrueBlood so it'd be nice to see something like that happen on Elementary.

I also presumed the gun was because he was moments away from blowing his head off.  And reflected that Joan also had help changing her life so it is very cool to see her passing it on, if indeed it becomes that.  And I can totally see where a former doctor would yearn to do that.  Good side plot, show.

Edited by Jlina
Quoting my own self
  • Love 16

I liked Joan's ex con storyline. I hope they will continue it throughout the season; he could be Alfredo 2.0.  I would have been scared though walking behind the gym alone at night. 

Joan's outfits were fantastic tonight!  The COTW was kinda meh though. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, auntiemel said:

Loved seeing Nelsan Ellis again! :D He was one of my favorites on True Blood, and he hasn't done a lot since....

I didn't even recognize him! 

I wonder if the whole Joan-wants-to-help-people thing is going to turn into a plot

The show just started again, & it's not on for 2 weeks? Lucifer did the same thing, what's up with that?

18 minutes ago, GaT said:

I didn't even recognize him! 

I wonder if the whole Joan-wants-to-help-people thing is going to turn into a plot

The show just started again, & it's not on for 2 weeks? Lucifer did the same thing, what's up with that?

Next Sunday is Presidential Debate #2.

3 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

Yes, the debates are messing with my TV schedule. I don't like it.

Presidential elections and summer Olympics always mess up tv - why do they have to be in the same year?

Since Ford is a show sponsor, I wonder if the car that hit Sherlock was a Ford?

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Jlina said:

I also presumed the gun was because he was moments away from blowing his head off. 

He had a pretty shady phone call just after Joan left his work, and it was never addressed. So I'm assuming he is still struggling with going straight and the gun was for protection from whoever he called. But I hope he's recurring and that Joan helps him get out of that lifestyle, because I love Nelsan Ellis and want to see more of him.

I loved Sherlock pointing out that Joan wore two outfits two times each during the summer, and that she never does that. That's some costly wardrobe. Private detective consulting pays well, I guess.

I thought Lee Torgelson was pretty subdued, compared some of his other roles. He can really bring on the unstable crazy.

• Love 8
18 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

He had a pretty shady phone call just after Joan left his work, and it was never addressed.

He called a buddy who was in the same cell block as Nate-the-suspected-bomber to find out who he was close with.  That's how they got the name of the Lee Torgelson character (who turned out to be the actual bomber).

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 6
  6 hours ago, SweetTooth said:

Yes, the debates are messing with my TV schedule. I don't like it.

Presidential elections and summer Olympics always mess up tv - why do they have to be in the same year?

Since Ford is a show sponsor, I wonder if the car that hit Sherlock was a Ford?

I had that thought too. The little sponsorship announcement was oddly placed. *SCREECH* *BOOM!* "This show brought to you by Ford."

• Love 3
1 hour ago, PreviouslyTV said:

Sarah Beckham has some questions (including whether she can get a career consult from Jonny Lee Miller).

View the full article

Nothing to do with Elementary, but don't give up on BBC's Sherlock, just because of his death and resurrection.  That's part of the original stories by Arthur Conan Doyle. 

• Love 2

Glad to see this show again, and glad my new TV does captions so I can understand what JLM says without raising the volume to a neighbor-infuriating level.

Could someone with any knowledge of NYC geography please tell a little about where the places (Canarsie etc.) are with respect to each other and to where SH and JW live?  I looked at a map but I'm confused.  Thanx!

• Love 1

I did not think Shinwell was about to commit suicide - I thought he was just being cautious about who it was at the door, since he did used to be a gang member.

• Love 18

That was my reading on it as well. If he was about to commit suicide, he would've stashed the gun (even if not in a permanent spot) before going to the door. You only take a gun to the door if you think you might need to use it on the person on the other side. I thought he was being cautious because he just got out of jail and he's not living in the safest environment.

• Love 8
5 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Presidential elections and summer Olympics always mess up tv - why do they have to be in the same year

It used to be Winter Olympics, Summer Olympiscs, and Presidential election in the same year!

That was my reading on it as well. If he was about to commit suicide, he would've stashed the gun (even if not in a permanent spot) before going to the door. You only take a gun to the door if you think you might need to use it on the person on the other side. I thought he was being cautious because he just got out of jail and he's not living in the safest environment.

Agreed, But I would assume keeping a gun is a violation of his parole...so Joan has more work to do than she may realize.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, juliet73 said:

I liked Joan's ex con storyline. I hope they will continue it throughout the season; he could be Alfredo 2.0.  I would have been scared though walking behind the gym alone at night. 

Joan's outfits were fantastic tonight!  The COTW was kinda meh though. 

Shinwell is a legacy character so he will probably return.

6 hours ago, DeLurker said:

He called a buddy who was in the same cell block as Nate-the-suspected-bomber to find out who he was close with.  That's how they got the name of the Lee Torgelson character (who turned out to be the actual bomber).

Thanks, I missed that. I thought the "we need to talk" or whatever he said sounded more than just getting info, but I'm glad that I was wrong.

• Love 1
22 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I thought the "we need to talk" or whatever he said sounded more than just getting info

Yes, that comment really did make the phone call sound shady - just misdirection, I guess.

• Love 2

I was actually impressed that the original suspect ended up actually being the killer.  Sure, there was a twist to it and whatnot and of course I knew Lee Tergesen was going to be involved somehow because that's just what Lee Tergesen does, but Nathan still being responsible was a nice reveal. Again though, I've kind of accepted that the cases will never be the best thing about this show, and it's all about the interactions between Sherlock, Joan, and the rest for me.

Loved Nelsan Ellis and Shinwell.  I knew he was going to be appearing, but I almost didn't place him, because he looked and sounded so different compared to his Lafayette on True Blood.  I like that he has a past relationship with Joan, and they will hopefully explore that more.  Him answering the door with a gun though makes me thing that something is up though.  I like to think he truly is trying to change his ways, but I wonder if he is worried about something from his past coming back to haunt him/get revenge.

A decent amount of Gregson and Bell, but hopefully they will get more to do later on in the season.

Looks like one of the bigger arcs this go around will be the idea of Joan falling out of love with their job, since five or so years is usually the time she ends up changing career paths.  Hopefully, they'll find a way to make it refreshing, because I obviously doubt she is leaving anytime soon.

Welcome back, Elementary!  See you next.... err, in two weeks, since next Sunday is going to be Round 2 of Clinton and Trump fighting.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

As soon as I saw Lee Tergesen, I knew he was guilty of something. Beecher is always up to something!

This man must the hardest working actor in Hollywood. He's been on so many shows so far this season!

It was a surprisingly contemplative start with the focus on Joan and career possibilities/regrets.  I am not sure what to make of her former patient, though it seems like he will tie into the through-line for this season.  This show has fooled me before on the allegiances of the various characters, so I'm not ready to make a guess at his motives.

From the recap:

Jonny Lee Miller is pretty delightful in any circumstance, of course. But I was especially into how he works to get to the bottom of Joan's career discontent, a subplot I didn't expect. Realizing that she needs to feel that she's helping people again, he encourages her to work with Shinwell as he rebuilds his life. And he does all this without selling her a $1,000 online course about reconnecting with her passions. Has Benedict Cumberbatch ever been this great of a humanitarian? Doubtful!

One of the best parts of this series is the friendship of equals between Watson and Holmes.  They have really worked to develop the relationship between the two of them from complete strangers to partners.  Holmes is still his abrasive self to non-Watsons, non-Bells, and non-Gregsons.

10 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I loved Sherlock pointing out that Joan wore two outfits two times each during the summer, and that she never does that. That's some costly wardrobe. Private detective consulting pays well, I guess.

That was my favorite bit.  Great in-joke.

• Love 9

Yay, Elementary is back! I loved the opening scene with the suicidal guy. I laughed so hard when Joan tased him. The pull-back reveal of our kick-ass Joan was perfect. I've missed their snarky/sweet relationship. Yeah, the mystery was on the lame side, but the central characters on this show make me happy just to watch them. And a big welcome to Shinwell. Hopefully he can get picked up as a recurring character. It's happened to Nelsan Ellis before, after all.

• Love 2

I actually prefer a straightforward, not-very-mysterious mystery. Yeah, it's a bit boring, but a lot easier to watch than the convoluted cases with 20 or so players, a needlessly complicated motive, and 5 "twists" before the reveal. And on this show, I don't need the COTW to be super-exciting because the characters and the dialogue work so well together.

• Love 5

I think Elementary tends to manage, for the most part, the delicate balance between the characters and having a mystery that's engaging without being too complicated. Too boring a mystery requires the characters to have something more compelling to do that's not related to the mystery. Too complicated, and the interactions between the characters get lost in the confusion.

• Love 7

I know this show, due to super-low ratings, likely has the same budget as a 15 second TV commercial, but MAN the CGI on that explosion was the worst I've seen in a LONG time.

I cry foul at any situation where Sherlock Holmes is the one chasing a suspect.  Every time it makes me wince. I know this isn't the actual Holmes from the books, but still... On the other hand, Sherlock knowing exactly where he was on a specific date and time years ago? Much better.

I did love Lucy's sexy dress shirt and tie outfit.

Edited by Kromm
  • Love 2

My favourite part was when Sherlock spots suspicious dude, dude turns and runs, Sherlock runs after him and there's a conspicuous shot of an extra in an FBI jacket, initially facing Sherlock as he starts running, and doesn't even flinch or turn to watch as he goes by. No "gee wonder who he's chasing from a crime scene". I mean, I know we have no plot if other people notice it happening and, oh say, react, but it was bad blocking because it was SO conspicuous.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Kromm said:

I know this show, due to super-low ratings, likely has the same budget as a 15 second TV commercial, but MAN the CGI on that explosion was the worst I've seen in a LONG time.

I cry foul at any situation where Sherlock Holmes is the one chasing a suspect.  Every time it makes me wince. I know this isn't the actual Holmes from the books, but still... On the other hand, Sherlock knowing exactly where he was on a specific date and time years ago? Much better.

I did love Lucy's sexy dress shirt and tie outfit.

I think JLM just really wants to run.  Whenever he can. For as long as he can.

Me too; I want that outfit.

• Love 1

I love that they're about to bring back Joan's career choices into the fold. Becoming a surgeon requires a lot of dedication and passion and I always thought it odd how easily she walked away from that and then walk away again from another 'calling'. I don't want her to leave the detecting business but original flavor Watson managed to keep practicing so I wonder if they're not about to set up something similar. We'll have to wait and see but I'm intrigues.

And Watson never repeats an outfit? Show's just messing with us. I remember at least one coat she's worn several times (I've got coat-envy issues). And 'As worn on tv' backs me up on this (and it's a winter coat, Sherlock claimed that she repeated an outfit over the summer). I'm pretty sure there have been other repeats. Nitpicking aside I love how her wardrobe has become a thing on the show and I'll happily ignore the fact that she hardly could afford it (this episode's polka dot skirt is over $900, the mules she wore in the opening scene cost $236 and were a repeat *cough* add to that some of he cheaper pieces and you'll still get a wardrobe worth around $1400) not to mention that each room of the brownstone should by now be re-purposed as a walk-in closet. But maybe she sells all the stuff on-line after wearing it once? Anyhow - her wardrobe remains the show's biggest mystery and I love it!

To be über-correct he called it 'ensemble'. But since even the Duchess of Cambridge occasionally repeats an outfit I'm pretty sure Watson would do that too. I'm just going to assume she stashes her magically financed wardrobe in the Tardis.

• Love 2

I don't find it hard to imagine that Watson buys her clothes barely used at very upscale resale and consignment shops and then takes them back there to resell after a few wearings. I know several UMC women who do this. It looks like they have fabulous wardrobes but in reality they only have relatively few articles of high-quality clothing and accessories that they constantly recycle. There are several specialty resale shops in my town that do a brisk business buying and selling top designer clothes.

• Love 2
20 hours ago, Kromm said:

A quote from "The Hound of the Baskervilles" on Project Gutenberg:

Never have I seen a man run as Holmes ran that night. I am reckoned fleet of foot, but he outpaced me as much as I outpaced the little professional.

Lestrade is "the little professional."  I may have read this book more times than I realized.

• Love 3
On 10/3/2016 at 0:46 AM, juliet73 said:

The COTW was kinda meh though. 

I kept hoping that the architect was innocent.  They had no real evidence -- a fingerprint for a taxi; really?  Moreover, the wife was right -- I've seen architects at work: when there's a big project going, he wouldn't have time for a stroll in the park to see his handiwork, much less hang out in "LOOK AT ME!!!!" wear until the police arrived.   It was just too convenient for Sherlock's guess to be right.

22 hours ago, theatremouse said:

My favourite part was when Sherlock spots suspicious dude, dude turns and runs, Sherlock runs after him and there's a conspicuous shot of an extra in an FBI jacket, initially facing Sherlock as he starts running, and doesn't even flinch or turn to watch as he goes by. No "gee wonder who he's chasing from a crime scene". I mean, I know we have no plot if other people notice it happening and, oh say, react, but it was bad blocking because it was SO conspicuous.

Yeah, I noticed that too.  All they had to do was swap out his jacket -- the FBI weren't involved in any other way!

I groaned when I saw Joan in that tie. I can't take another season of her ties. Also, the exposition really annoyed me. Telling the guy when he was arrested, BAC, etc. That was just some lazy writing. That said, I'll keep watching--just a few days after airing. This isn't must-see for me any longer. 

• Love 2

The episode was strong and solid. The shoes of the first scene on Joan's feet though. NO! BURN THEM... seriously, WHO wears such an idiotic shoe, when there might be actual walking required?

I like her ties. I like that she has a quirky style and that she has SOME personality. Because in TV land most women dress the same. I wouldn't dress like her but I like her style nonetheless. :) 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, MischaMouse said:

I groaned when I saw Joan in that tie.

I was actually really surprised that they are continuing with the ties, thought it would be a whole new thing this season.  But I like the ties so I'm okay with it.