Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Meet the New Boss

• Start Topic

I feel a bit sorry for Robbie, who has to tell with Rogue Daisy, who is nothing short of annoying. It's disappointing because I genuinely really liked her the first three seasons. But Rogue Daisy is irritating for me, and I can't quite describe why. It's half the makeup and half her attitude, maybe. Basically, she's just not working for me. I'm not really into this whole new Daisy. Maybe it's her 'Woe is Me, My Boyfriend Died and I'm Super Sad And Gothy' attitude that makes me not feel for her. 

Her being reunited with Mack and Fitz was nice for about five minutes, though. I feel like they tried to have Daisy go from hating Robbie to understanding and joining him, but either the acting or the writing didn't follow through for me. I just felt empty when she had her scene with Mack/Fitz, trying to defend Robbie, followed by her getting in his car. 

Oh, look. Ghosts. And look, Ghost Rider's their enemy...how didn't I put it together before he showed up?

I don't really like the new Director all that much, although the reveal that he's Inhuman was cool. I totally get that the only one to stop May would be Inhuman with superstrength. She's too badass. Poor May, though.

Agent Carter and Steve Rogers references! 

• Love 7

OK, the new director being an Inhuman I did not see coming. I just thought he was a professional manager.

1 minute ago, Lady Calypso said:

Oh, look. Ghosts. And look, Ghost Rider's their enemy...how didn't I put it together before he showed up?

Not ghosts, but I definitely think we're in Strange territory (pun fully intended).

• Love 5

Dang Mack - seeing you emote all over the place like that kills me each & every time.

So Fitz is turbo now - not seeing how that makes sense.  Can someone clarify?

I'm guessing they used up the bulk of the makeup budget on eyeliner last week.

Was that the shotgun rifle Mack had strapped on his back?

• Love 5

The worst scene of the episode was SDQ's powered leap on top of the Charger, followed by SDQ holding on for dear life atop the car -- with both hands, no less -- even though one arm is heavily fractured and in constant pain.  And then SDQ gets tossed off the car yet suffers no injuries whatsoever -- not even a scratch.

At least SDQ got rid of the copious amounts of eye makeup, so there's that.

The whole 'Mack trapped in the reactor core' scene just fell flat when SDQ walked up and quaked the door handle, and Mack walked out, again with no repercussions.

So when GR roasted that guy, is the guy gone for good or sent somewhere that even GR doesn't know about ?  Whatever the hell those ersatz ghosts are, they just seem like assholes.

Just now, Jack Kerouac said:

I liked this episode just because Daisy got her ass kicked TWICE and May once. Just awesome.

SDQ got her ass kicked SO EASILY -- she really is a crappy InHuman.  Blah, blah, blah, Watchdogs, nobody cares.

• Love 5
28 minutes ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

The whole 'Mack trapped in the reactor core' scene just fell flat when SDQ walked up and quaked the door handle, and Mack walked out, again with no repercussions.

SDQ got her ass kicked SO EASILY -- she really is a crappy InHuman.  Blah, blah, blah, Watchdogs, nobody cares.

The abandoned company is still paying electric bills? Did not strip reactor before leaving?

If Ghost Rider got his ass kicked by anyone less than a super demon (or Hulk), then he would not be worthy of a series subtitle....

• Love 7

So, Jason O'Mara is here as the new Director of SHIELD and he's Inhuman too!  I do not trust whatever he has planned for Melinda.  At least they didn't keep that thing hidden for long, because that would have got tiring, plus as badass as she is, it would have been hard to believe that she could keep the fact that everyone's faces keep turning into ghostly, demon figures, for too long.

Not sure what they were going for, but it felt like Daisy just annoyed Robbie to death, and I'm choosing to believe the only reason he's agreeing to help her now, is because he knows if he doesn't, she'll just keep randomly popping up to bug him, and you might as well quit delaying the inevitable, even if it comes in annoying form like Daisy.  Nice that they did briefly touch on Lincoln.  If only she knew that he actually survived, but decided to just hang out with Lady Sif on Blindspot instead!

Mack and Fitz together again was fun as always.  And Mack's scene with Daisy was easily her best scene so far this season.  In short, Mack makes everything better!

Not enough Simmons, so hopefully that will be rectified soon.

I guess Dr. Radcliffe was just off doing God knows what with his robot.

So, the big arc this season is that their are some kind of Ghosts (?) wondering around, and are trying to find some book to kill their creator, who apparently is a bad guy.  And Robbie is somehow connected to all of it.  Not exactly the most gripping storyline, but maybe it will pick up.

• Love 8

"Most people know the legend of Peggy Carter, but there's so many stories that were never recorded."

Why you gotta twist the knife, Agents of SHIELD writers?

Seeing May so freaked out was disturbing.

I was like "Whaaa?" at the new director is an Inhuman.

Hate seeing Mack so hurt and betrayed like that.

Not sure what they were going for, but it felt like Daisy just annoyed Robbie to death, and I'm choosing to believe the only reason he's agreeing to help her now, is because he knows if he doesn't, she'll just keep randomly popping up to bug him, and you might as well quit delaying the inevitable, even if it comes in annoying form like Daisy.

She was reaching Karen Page levels of infuriating(and I like Karen).

Edited by VCRTracking
  • Love 9

I hope they dial down the Emo Daisy since they've given her a purpose now other than just being a run of the mill angsty vigilante. Also let's ease up on the eyeliner a bit, hmmm? 

I will say it was a great scene between Daisy, Mack and Fitz. My heart broke for Mack a little when he realized Yo-Yo was meeting Daisy. 

• Love 9

Did NOT need another reason to dislike Daisy, but when you hurt Mack, you get the stink eye.

Love Jason O'Mara as the new director.  And he's an Inhuman.  This is good.  Maybe great. We shall see. (Hoping for at least one dinosaur reference. Please, show?)

Can't help but think the person who created the "ghosts" is someone we already know.

Edited by LordBowen
  • Love 3
5 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Dang Mack - seeing you emote all over the place like that kills me each & every time.

Turbo has been Mack's nickname for Fitz since he helped him regain his thought process in Season two. And that was indeed the final model of the Shotgun-Axe Fitz crafted for him at the end of last season, deployed in both capacities tonight.

I'm glad the show is going the route of showing how broken everyone is in their own way. It would have been a cop out to just go back to the "team" following last season's fall out. The acting growth of the young actors really allows the show to explore those areas.

• Love 8

I'm digging this so far and I'll be the first to admit I have a love/hate relationship with this show.

Specifically, I liked Daisy pretending she was Robbie's old friend from school and dropping all those sly references. She definitely did her homework.

The reveal on the new director was great. All episode I was thinking "screw this smug prick!" and then he goes toe to toe with May and hands her her ass. Cue "oh... okay!"

Is May immune to an Icer? Why have all the trainees get themselves beaten up when they could have just tranquilized her? We also see that the base has tranquilizer gas in some areas. I know it was necessary for that reveal I enjoyed so much but it was also the television trope of not using the obvious solution.

A shotgun-axe is probably of questionable value against semi-corporeal opponents but I appreciate that they tried. See also every Terminator movie and show in which the heroes use buckshot against things made entirely of metal. Rule of cool, people. Rule of cool.

• Love 3
51 minutes ago, dwmarch said:

I'm digging this so far and I'll be the first to admit I have a love/hate relationship with this show.

Specifically, I liked Daisy pretending she was Robbie's old friend from school and dropping all those sly references. She definitely did her homework.

The reveal on the new director was great. All episode I was thinking "screw this smug prick!" and then he goes toe to toe with May and hands her her ass. Cue "oh... okay!"

Is May immune to an Icer? Why have all the trainees get themselves beaten up when they could have just tranquilized her? We also see that the base has tranquilizer gas in some areas. I know it was necessary for that reveal I enjoyed so much but it was also the television trope of not using the obvious solution.

A shotgun-axe is probably of questionable value against semi-corporeal opponents but I appreciate that they tried. See also every Terminator movie and show in which the heroes use buckshot against things made entirely of metal. Rule of cool, people. Rule of cool.

They are disarmed when they come on base now (we saw Phil handing in his gun last week before he could get out the hanger

And the tranq gas is probably just in the containment cells

• Useful 1
  • Love 2

Really enjoyed this episode, even more than the last one.

Like the Robbie Reyes character a lot and his scenes with Daisy, even if Daisy is getting more annoying by the minute.

Like the new director of SHIELD a lot too.

I'm glad May hiding her illness or whatever she's got didn't last long.  Led to a pretty good fight scene too.

I like how the storylines are playing out.  The ghost thing is interesting too.

Daisy sets out to battle Ghost Rider, but at a terrible cost;

What was the terrible cost?  I just didn't see anything.

• Love 3
47 minutes ago, benteen said:

She lost her van? Or they are going with her losing the trust of Mack and hurting Yo-Yo's chances with Mack. 

I like Robbie, I just hope they are not going to hook him and Daisy up. I do like when they remember they introduced SDQ as hacker, so her finding all that info on Robbie to get to him was nice to see. She does however need to lay off the eye make up. 

The boss being an Inhuman was surprising. At first I thought he was a robot. I wonder what his power's weakness is? Or is Daisy the only that suffers side effects of her power. 

I'm still enjoying this season so far. 

Edited by Sakura12
  • Love 3

Haven't watched the episode yet, but I see it's written by Drew Z. Greenberg who wrote stuff like "Watchdogs". Which I guess means he's gonna have characters acting OCC, shit on Daisy/Mac's relationship, and have bad dialogue and writing. God, I hate when Drew writes.

Awwwww, poor Mack. The look on his face as he realized that YoYo has been keeping this from him and that Daisy was in cahoots with her, just so sad. They broke his heart! On a more positive note, loved Mack and Fitz bickering like an old married couple. "Do it!' "You're the one who keeps asking me questions!"

I decided that Daisy's increased levels of emo eye makeup are because she's trying to show everyone that she's a sad panda.

Yes, she's made it clear that she is fine with Robbie killing her so he had to give her Spike's "every slayer has a death wish" speech. Lame!

When Mack was talking about her joining a vigilante and asking if she gets to decide who lives or dies (because she kind of defended Robbie killing the guys on the bus by saying maybe they deserved it), I was like whoa, maybe back up off the moral self-righteousness because SHIELD gets to kill people if they decide they're bad guys. I'm not endorsing vigilantes, but it would have been nice for Sad Panda Daisy to point out that Mack is being kind of judgey considering that SHIELD has been given the latitude to kill people who they have decided are bad guys too.

6 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

"Most people know the legend of Peggy Carter, but there's so many stories that were never recorded."

• Love 6
3 hours ago, dwmarch said:

I'm digging this so far and I'll be the hofirst to admit I have a love/hate relationship with this show.

Specifically, I liked Daisy pretendiooong she was Robbie's old friend from school and dropping all those sly references. She definitely did her homework.

Rule of cool covers it just as on the Terminator franchise. Knowing about the construction of shotguns does make me shake my head at the entire concept of the weapon/tool but we fit it in nicely. I just re-watched Civil War were the GSG-9 used the more traditional shotgun lock breaching method.

The "ghost" conditions do seem similar to what was seen on Agent Carter 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, ottoDbusdriver said:

The worst scene of the episode was SDQ's powered leap on top of the Charger, followed by SDQ holding on for dear life atop the car -- with both hands, no less -- even though one arm is heavily fractured and in constant pain.  And then SDQ gets tossed off the car yet suffers no injuries whatsoever -- not even a scratch.

At least SDQ got rid of the copious amounts of eye makeup, so there's that.

So when GR roasted that guy, is the guy gone for good or sent somewhere that even GR doesn't know about ?  Whatever the hell those ersatz ghosts are, they just seem like assholes.

Why do you watch this show? I'm seriously not being snarky, but you seem to loathe it and have nothing good to say about it, so why waste your time? I don't have that kind of patience, if I don't like a show I dump it. At any rate, can we please keep the Ghost Rider for the rest of the season because I think he's very cool. I didn't see the director being an inhuman or that Coulson basically punted being the director unless I misunderstood that part. I still hate having the team split up but it was nice to see Daisy, Mack and Fitz together. I can seriously do without the ghosts or whatever they are storyline. I liked that Simmons is still keeping Coulson in the loop on the side. As much as I love May, I can appreciate that she's not invincible and yay for the Cap and Peggy mentions. 

Edited by missbonnie
Clarification on my question.
  • Love 5

When Mack was talking about her joining a vigilante and asking if she gets to decide who lives or dies (because she kind of defended Robbie killing the guys on the bus by saying maybe they deserved it), I was like whoa, maybe back up off the moral self-righteousness because SHIELD gets to kill people if they decide they're bad guys. I'm not endorsing vigilantes, but it would have been nice for Sad Panda Daisy to point out that Mack is being kind of judgey considering that SHIELD has been given the latitude to kill people who they have decided are bad guys too.

Let's also remember that Mack was part of SHIELD after they had disbanded, which means he and they WERE vigilantes. 

• Love 5
9 hours ago, thuganomics85 said:

Not sure what they were going for, but it felt like Daisy just annoyed Robbie to death, and I'm choosing to believe the only reason he's agreeing to help her now, is because he knows if he doesn't, she'll just keep randomly popping up to bug him, and you might as well quit delaying the inevitable,

This is Tactic 4 in the Little Sister Play Book. 

1 - ask

2 - ask nicely

3 - pout, maybe sniffle a bit

4 - pester

9 hours ago, VCRTracking said:

Seeing May so freaked out was disturbing.

Mentioning Peggy Carter was just mean of them.

May's freak out was good - it could have easily gone to camp, but she carried it out like a pro.

2 hours ago, benteen said:

It was Mack's almost teary eyes.  You're a MONSTER Sad Panda Daisy*!  A monster!

@Traveller519 - thanks for the answers!  My brain is leaky so stuff dribbles out all the time.  Quite unsightly.

* Sad Panda Daisy is awesome so thank you @ElectricBoogaloo.  SPD is better for me then SDQ because I always think of ice cream with the DQ.

Edited by DeLurker
  • Love 6

At first I thought the ghosts were just Weird Science things, but the female one mentioned the Darkhold, which is the Marvel Universe's  book of ultimate evil. Maybe they are blending science and magic in some Lovecraftian way.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, marceline said:

I think I'm just going to have to check out on this show. I spend most of the time it's on surfing the net. 

The new 10pm time slot is going to be problem for me, I can tell. I started nodding off shortly after the beginning..
...But partially to blame is the format that AoS seems determined to follow : All the stories were laid out last week, in a scattershot way. Now we are just revisiting those plots while pairing up different characters and trying to get the stories to cross-connect. 
To me, this feels more like a weekly soap opera than an action-adventure show - the contents get slightly shaken up, but everything soon settles down into the same patterns.

That was why last season's Blue Planet episode with Simmons was a breath of fresh air. There was the anticipation of some type of resolution to come at the end of the hour. But with the current story telling format everything feels partially doled out... Don't worry, we'll be getting back to that story again. And again.
Every time a new plot element is introduced (such as May's ghost infection), the general response seems to be "I hope they don't drag this out too long."  

Rebel Daisy will hang out with Ghost Rider for a few weeks while slowly working her way back to the team. Fitz and Simmons will have their trust issues to deal with. Coulson (and Mack) will continue to obsess over and search for Daisy. Some red-shirts will die along the way. 
I feel that I can just wait to check in at the mid-season mark to see how far the stories have managed to move forward. ... and so I nod off .. 

• Love 5

At first I thought the ghosts were just Weird Science things, but the female one mentioned the Darkhold, which is the Marvel Universe's  book of ultimate evil. Maybe they are blending science and magic in some Lovecraftian way.

That book also figures heavily in to the lore of Dr Strange, which seems like not a coincidence.

• Love 5

Hear hear everyone that's linking last night's many Peggy Carter mentions w/ Madame Masque's black crack of doom/ super energy thingy that incoporealized (sp?) Peggy's Not!Love Interest last season (*sniff*) on Marvel's Agent Carter (*sniff*).

Thank you Show, for wrapping up May's secret infection within an episode. And extra applause for giving us substantial plot juxtaposed with it- the roll from "ghost" to incorporealized possibly villain scientist(s) trapped within some kind of phased energy plane was a little jarring but I appreciated not dallying around and wasting time getting there.

Poor Fitz- back in "all my closest friends betray me"-ville.

Mack! YoYo wasn't using you! I promise!!! Please go talk to her and work this out.

I appreciated SPDs (THANKS! though I'm always going to process {city starting w/ "S"} Police Department before Sad Panda Daisy) willingness to confront Robbie, somewhat protect herself by showing up in his daily grind, insisting that he deal with her, etc. It took me by surprise when GR showed up at the energy plant/ labs- though it really shouldn't have, right? He was following the SHs that stole the "weapon" to begin with... it shouldn't have been a reach for me to get to him still being involved where "weapon" was stolen.

Poor Mack.

Hey- the Director can kick May's ass. Wicked. Jason Mara's doing ok- I appreciate that tPtB have created him as politician over covert operative. Anybody know if he's an Inhuman mentioned elsewhere in Marvel Comics? I don't recall a name mentioned- I only heard him referred to as the Director.

Thanks azathoth- I didn't hear the reference to Darkhold but was wondering what the book is. Anyone know who the "He" that confined the scientists to begin with is?

• Love 1

The Director carries the name of a post WWII Captain America. thus the promised link to 40s Marvel. It was in the 60's that the original Captain America was found in the ice in the comics 

Edited by Raja
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1

Alright, just finished the episode and it was a lot better than I expected.

• Daisy doing her homework on Robbie and then toying with him at his job was so hilarious. She's a total badass, and does not get enough credit for it.
  • I think the whole thing with the ghosts is somewhat interesting. It seems a little all over the place right now, but I think that after Doctor Strange, we'll be getting a lot more answers. The biggest part of this episode was obviously revealing that Robbie has some connection with them, so we'll see where that goes.
  • I loved Fitzsimmons being so flabbergasted about the box and the 'ghosts'. They're going to be in for a rude awakening when they piece together that this all has little to do with science, and more to do with magic. 
  • Can I just say that I LOVED the effects when Daisy broke out of the rope, and then when she used her powers to propel herself on GR's car? Wicked awesome. She's getting better with her powers in every passing episode,..even through fractured bones.
  • I thought Daisy's reunion with Mac and Fitz was bittersweet. I know that Daisy running away has hurt her friends, but I think it's clear that she's hurting too. Lincoln died, she committed horrible acts under mind control (which she blames herself for), she's lost her parents and SHIELD, etc. All of her traumas have taken a massive toll on her, but she's STILL committed to saving and protecting people, not caring about her own mental and physical health. All the more reason why I think she's the MCU's most compelling hero. 
  • Finally, I think it's interesting that SHIELD's new director is an inhuman. I feel like that should be an interesting route to explore when he finally gets a scene with Daisy. Though I wonder what plans he has in store for treating May. All in all, I don't think his leadership is gonna end well. He seems a bit shady, and he's making the same mistakes old-SHIELD made - compartmentalizing information and the like. 
  • Love 7

I am intrigued by this season.  I am finding myself liking Ghost Rider even though I still have negative associations with the character because of the abysmal Nicholas Cage.

I can't say I'm particularly fond of these ghost people (seems like they were all part of the same team based on the photo that Ghost Rider took from that lab and they were caught in some kind of explosion or something which made them ghosts) but curious to see where it leads.

I'm confused as to how or why Daisy suddenly showed up in that lab that Fitz and Mack were at.  She is still wanted by SHIELD, right?  Why didn't they notify anyone of her appearance and subsequent disappearance?

• Love 3
30 minutes ago, maraleia said:

I'm seriously not feeling this show or Once Upon a Time. Maybe they will be the latest shows I drop like I dropped Quantico and Blindspot last season.

Anyone else feeling this way or is it just me?

This is my forth season of reading variations of this post. For me it is one of the few hours a week that I try to plan around to watch live and I normally make a second viewing the next weekend 

• Love 4

Jason O'Mara might be the nicest guy on earth, buy his acting in everything Ive seen him in annoys the living daylights ouy of me.  

Why couldnt they cast Enver G. as the new director, hint about him being Peggy & Daniel's grandson or something but never come right out and say it? Like everytime someone was about to say his nane, theyd get cut off in a running gag.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, maraleia said:

I'm seriously not feeling this show or Once Upon a Time. Maybe they will be the latest shows I drop like I dropped Quantico and Blindspot last season.

Anyone else feeling this way or is it just me?

I am kind of not feeling this season either (or 3/4 of the last season either). Maybe it's just everything feels so weird and disjointed and the fact that everything is so far stretch away from what happened in the last season finale. Like introducing ghost, who may or may not be literal ghosts, and name dropping the Drakhold. Sure, the Ghost Rider stuff is good, when it's not about Daisy and I just don't understand why she is doing the things that she is supposedly doing and why she left SHIELD in the first place. If they have Dasiy mentioned that she blames SHIELD for Lincoln's death, then yeah I can understand why she left. But I also don't get this "atonement and redemption" arc for her (and what did she do that was really that bad? Sure she hacked into SHIELD- but that wasn't her first time doing it. She has been acting like she actually killed someone but she never actually killed anyone, directly from SHIELD. Sure maybe she feels responsible for Lash/Andrew's death but that is all I can come up with?). Nor, I am feeling for Fitz and Simmons and Fitz is just pissing me off this season. I know it's only been two episodes but he was the one who came up with the brilliant idea of not telling Simmons (and just fill in the reason yourself), while Radcliff actually did want to tell her, and then here in this episode he starts to act all mopey- for really no reason (is he is supposed to be always so depressed?) other than just to be mopey. 

I really don't know what to feel about the new director. He seems competent and he even called out Coulson on the fact that he is to personally connected to Daisy, and to a lesser extent to May and the others. But after the fact that he whisked a troubled May wearing a straight jacket, on a Qinjet full of supposedly Congress members, to an unknown location gives me vibes that he has other plans. Or maybe he really is a good guy and knows that there are "specialists" that maybe can help May but judging by next episode it looks like Simmons and Radcliff are called in to save May's life (and if they kill her off, I will be done with this show. May is literally the only character I like on this show and even Mack has worn out on me). 

1 hour ago, blackwing said:

I am intrigued by this season.  I am finding myself liking Ghost Rider even though I still have negative associations with the character because of the abysmal Nicholas Cage.

I can't say I'm particularly fond of these ghost people (seems like they were all part of the same team based on the photo that Ghost Rider took from that lab and they were caught in some kind of explosion or something which made them ghosts) but curious to see where it leads.

I'm confused as to how or why Daisy suddenly showed up in that lab that Fitz and Mack were at.  She is still wanted by SHIELD, right?  Why didn't they notify anyone of her appearance and subsequent disappearance?

They named dropped Tobias Ford, the guy that was transporting between our world and some other place (Simmons did the name drop) but I remember that at the end of that episode, they claimed that he was sent to another planet, while this Simmons mentioned that it was another dimension- which would be a retcon. 

I would love it fi Nicolas Cage just shows up and do a cameo for this show. He doesn't even have to say anything, just be there would be awesome. 

I thought that Daisy showed up because she was following Robbie and that Robbie went to the lab (which was supposed to have been abandon years ago but looks great) because he went through Daisy's stuff. Daisy was doing detective work on the Chinese Triad that had the "Ghost Box" from the first episode. 

Well, this does go along the same reasoning why Fitz is not telling Simmons (which would tell her boss, the director) that a criminal violated his parole and quite possibly this will blow up in his face...)- because they don't like their new boss. Which is really not how to function in a governmental agency but I am sure that they will be justified- somehow.

4 hours ago, Tarasme said:

Hear hear everyone that's linking last night's many Peggy Carter mentions w/ Madame Masque's black crack of doom/ super energy thingy that incoporealized (sp?) Peggy's Not!Love Interest last season (*sniff*) on Marvel's Agent Carter (*sniff*).

Thanks azathoth- I didn't hear the reference to Darkhold but was wondering what the book is. Anyone know who the "He" that confined the scientists to begin with is?

The Agent Carter reference was a stab in the heart- thanks show writers for bringing up that.

As with who "he" might be. Well in my mind there is two possibilities:

1. Chthon- who actually has a direct connection to the Darkhold in the comics.

2. Dormammu

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 3

"Why can't this girl be a ghost?" "Mack, give me one reason why this person can't be broken down scientifically and rationally." "Two words, Turbo: Doctor Strange." "Oh, right. Forgot about that."

I'm rooting for the new Director to die in a humiliating manner. It's not the Inhuman thing that bugs, but rather the whole gladhanding attitude. I know Phil has baggage, but at least he's human. I mean, relatable.

Ming Wa can do paranoid. Awesome. She basically the MVP of this show, isn't she? Pity that May is in the Director's hands now.

I'm hoping for a Penance Stare at some point. I'm cool with Robbie setting stuff on fire, but I wanna see some supernatural shit.

• Love 1
21 hours ago, DeLurker said:

Fitz has been Turbo to Mack since 2x02. And yes, that was Mack's shotgun-axe that he made at the end of last season.

I'm really intrigued by the Lucy/ghost plot line this season. It's a lot more interesting to me than Ghost Rider. I do like Ghost Rider/Robbie Reyes though. The Mack and Daisy and Fitz scene at the end was just heartbreaking! And I know they wanted Director Jeffrey to reveal his Inhuman status by knocking May out, but why did no one ICE her? Seriously? They had to risk giving her brain damage by bashing her head into a brick wall when they could have just knocked her out with one easy shot?

Also, I'm kinda half shipping May and Piper, though I'm pretty sure they're going the Philinda route this season, which I'm not opposed to, but I really think they work better as just BFFs. I'm also kinda digging the potential of QuakeRider (I think I saw people calling it that on Tumblr). Like, I don't think now is the best time for Daisy to get into a new relationship, and I really don't think Robbie would be a good partner, but they definitely have chemistry.

• Love 2

Do you mean the shotgun-axe? I know I was hoping so.

• Love 1

I've been thinking about the episode on and off all day. Here are my random thoughts.

I don't know how I feel about the Ghost Rider story. I actually think they need a little of the Nicholas Cage flavor with the crazy humor to maybe lighten things up. But  I need to give it a little more time and see what they do with it.

I'm less impressed with Daisy's story right now, but I like her being away from SHIELD. I'm with Fitz. She is being selfish. However, I can see the new Director viewing her as a threat even before she left. I wouldn't be surprised if we found out he helped push her out of the door because she's the team's ace in the hole when it comes to a fight. She's literally the only person on the team who could beat him up. 

I hate the new Director, but I think he's good for the other characters. To me, he's only interested in SHIELD because re-establishing the agency will bring recognition to him personally. It feels like he's  literally planning the moment that he debuts himself as a hero to the world. It makes me think about Captain America: The First Avenger and the talks about how a person's heart truly makes them a hero. It would be interesting to ultimately find out that he's not as powerful as he seems and that he requires some version of the Super Soldier serum to maintain his strength. Every Inhuman power we've seen so far has a cost when it's used. What's going to be the negative to his power?

Henry Simmons amazes me in the ways he manages to such depth and emotion to Mack. I want more Mack focused stories. 

Phil. Oh Phil. He really never made great decisions as Director. And now he's paying for one of his choices by having to deal with this pompous jerk who won't even let him visit a sick friend. It's almost like Phil's story is paralleling Daisy's. Both of them are punishing themselves and it hurts the people around them the most. Phil knows he didn't do a good job as Director, probably blames himself for the loss of Lincoln, Andrew and untold numbers of agents. So he "takes one for the team" so SHIELD can go public. But it's really him admitting that he sucked as a Director because he was often too busy trying to play Dad to Daisy and punishing himself by backing out of the main action. Phil desperately needs someone like Fury to come in and threaten to put a boot in his a__ if he doesn't get it together and TAKE CARE OF HIS TEAM. May was trying to get to him before she had her breakdown. But it seems like he's too far gone. The one small detail that gives me hope is finding out that Phil didn't hand over the money and maybe hung on to Fury's toolbox as a sort of backup in case SHIELD 3.0 (or is it SHIELD 4.0) implodes when the world needs saving. I hope Phil starts to get it together soon because everyone around him is in trouble. 

Edited by SocaShoe
  • Love 5

Every Inhuman power we've seen so far has a cost when it's used. What's going to be the negative to his power?

being a smarmy, glad-handing, brown-nosing, corporate jargon addict? That feels like a pretty crappy downside to super-strength. 

I've been thinking about Daisy's eye makeup since the end of last season. There's a concept in the hacking world called "facial recognition dazzle" that takes the concept of dazzle (painting warships with high contrast, jagged lines as camouflage -- it worked really well before radar) that uses makeup and hair styles and some shapes of hats to confound the algorithms used to ID faces on surveillance cameras. In the real world, the makeup and hair are so far outside even avant garde/punk/extreme fashion that wearing the dazzle makes the wearer more likely to be noticed by humans, and thus defeats the purpose. The cameras might not catch you, but everyone you passed will remember. However, they've been trying to refine it, and one of the things heavy eyeliner and strong contouring can do is to change the match. If your file photo has natural makeup plus the dark circles under your eyes concealed, then wearing high fashion, high contour makeup with a heavy smoky eye and the dark circles emphasized will confuse the match. Which Hacker Skye would have known, or could have looked up, especially because she knows SHIELD's social media image scraping software. But the makeup artists for the show can't do actual facial recognition dazzle, because it doesn't make sense of you don't know the context, so Panda eyes/skate-punk was the compromise. 

On the ghosts: oh god, I hope this story wraps soon. I can deal with gross, mind control, parasites, vampires, werewolves, zombies, traitors, Hydra-Nazis, but ghosts are the thing that freaks me out -- they screw with the observer's sense of reality, make people think they're going crazy, don't necessarily have much physical power (though these seem to have some ability to interact with the world, at least near the reactor/cubes) but also there's no established way to get rid of them and these don't seem place-bound. (I know ghosts aren't real. Doesn't mean the idea of them doesn't make my skin crawl.) 

Hive as Satan vs everyone else who claimed the title: humans have a deep mythos about an ultimate, embodied evil that is cross-cultural, transcends religions and keeps enduring. Pretty much any creature who wants domination, destruction, mass enslavement, blood sacrifice, etc and who has done even a little bit of homework is going to play to that mythos. They were probably all at Woodstock, too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
12 hours ago, LilJen said:

Do you mean the shotgun-axe? I know I was hoping so.

Yes it was the famous shotgun ax Mac used the ax to break the lock instead of a shotgun shell to blow the hinges off like SWAT teams do or the GSG-9 did in their attempt to kill or capture the Winter Soldier in Captain America Civil War 

I like the Ghost Rider stuff so far, and Robbie is working alright for me, but I do hope he gets more personality soon. I think it will get better now that he is with Daisy, and hopefully we get around to how he got all Magic Punisher, and why he feels like people need killing. 

I love how Fitz and Simmons are all "It could be super science particles, or black hole particles!" and Mack is just like "Maybe its just a ghost"? I love me some ghost stories, so I am into this. I like that they are shaking things up, and adding some new elements to the universe. 

Not sure about the boss. I was surprised to see he was an Inhuman, and while I dont know if he is a straight up villain, I do think he will turn out to be sketchy somehow. 

Also, thanks for that little stab in the heart by mentioning Peggy! And of course they throw in "Somehow many of her adventures weren't recorded, because of a CERTAIN NETWORK..." 

Edited by tennisgurl

What the hell did SDQ mean anyway?

On 9/28/2016 at 6:02 PM, missbonnie said:

Why do you watch this show? I'm seriously not being snarky, but you seem to loathe it and have nothing good to say about it, so why waste your time? I don't have that kind of patience, if I don't like a show I dump it. 

Speaking for myself, apathy, habit, and the lack of something better. Also, an irrational loyalty to Whedon and the Avengers. Also the non Daisy parts are nice. Just too few and far between. 

16 hours ago, TVSpectator said:

I am kind of not feeling this season either (or 3/4 of the last season either). Maybe it's just everything feels so weird and disjointed and the fact that everything is so far stretch away from what happened in the last season finale.

I know it's been only 2 episodes, but it just feels like a drag. It's also because so much of it is driven by Daisy's story and Chloe's decided to express being newly goth-y by reducing any inflection from her voice, which is admittedly a feat as she didn't have much to begin with. (psst, Chloe you want to know how to do depressed after boyfriend is sacrificed to save the world? Go watch 'Anne'). Hang on, maybe that's why this story seems stale. I've seen it already, and a better written and acted version too. 

14 hours ago, DeepPoet117 said:

I'm really intrigued by the Lucy/ghost plot line this season. It's a lot more interesting to me than Ghost Rider. I do like Ghost Rider/Robbie Reyes though. 

I don't know why but I thought Ghost Rider would be better looking (didn't see any of the promo images, unfortunately). Maybe it's the moustache but he's not giving me a lot of gravitas right now. Too thin. 

12 hours ago, Czanne said:

I've been thinking about Daisy's eye makeup since the end of last season. There's a concept in the hacking world called "facial recognition dazzle" that takes the concept of dazzle (painting warships with high contrast, jagged lines as camouflage -- it worked really well before radar) that uses makeup and hair styles and some shapes of hats to confound the algorithms used to ID faces on surveillance cameras. In the real world, the makeup and hair are so far outside even avant garde/punk/extreme fashion that wearing the dazzle makes the wearer more likely to be noticed by humans, and thus defeats the purpose. The cameras might not catch you, but everyone you passed will remember. However, they've been trying to refine it, and one of the things heavy eyeliner and strong contouring can do is to change the match. If your file photo has natural makeup plus the dark circles under your eyes concealed, then wearing high fashion, high contour makeup with a heavy smoky eye and the dark circles emphasized will confuse the match. Which Hacker Skye would have known, or could have looked up, especially because she knows SHIELD's social media image scraping software. But the makeup artists for the show can't do actual facial recognition dazzle, because it doesn't make sense of you don't know the context, so Panda eyes/skate-punk was the compromise. 

Nice try :o) Not buying it. 

• Love 2