Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02: Meet the New Boss

• Start Topic

What I love most about this season is that SHIELD feels like a real, large, living organization again! Our team is a small part of something bigger. It hasn't felt this way since the first half of S1. There are agents everywhere!

If the guy who created the ghosts is someone we know, I think the only real choice would be Dr. Radcliffe. That would be a nice tie in for why he's still on the show, but it seems outside his area of expertise. There's a slim chance that it could have been Coulson in charge of the project, as we've seen him oversee other scientific/medical ventures (TAHITI). I think he would have recognized the box and/or its affects though. Radcliffe, on the other hand, hasn't seen them yet.

(I predicted last week that there will be a connection between the VR tech Fitz is working on the and the androids Radcliffe is building. Is there also a possibility the androids could eventually be used to host the ghosts so they have a corporeal presence...?)

17 hours ago, DeepPoet117 said:

And I know they wanted Director Jeffrey to reveal his Inhuman status by knocking May out, but why did no one ICE her? Seriously? They had to risk giving her brain damage by bashing her head into a brick wall when they could have just knocked her out with one easy shot?

This was subtly addressed in the show, and someone else answered up above. Everyone checks their weapons when entering the SHIELD base. There are no guns around, not even ICERs.

• Love 1
21 minutes ago, ae2 said:

This was subtly addressed in the show, and someone else answered up above. Everyone checks their weapons when entering the SHIELD base. There are no guns around, not even ICERs.

So, when the base inevitably gets attacked again, they're not gonna have any weapons to defend themselves? That doesn't seem smart. I don't get why they can't carry ICERs. They're non-lethal! FitzSimmons purposely made them so they couldn't harm anyone! Thanks for answering; I must have missed them checking their weapons before entering the base.

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, DeepPoet117 said:

So, when the base inevitably gets attacked again, they're not gonna have any weapons to defend themselves? That doesn't seem smart. I don't get why they can't carry ICERs. They're non-lethal! FitzSimmons purposely made them so they couldn't harm anyone! Thanks for answering; I must have missed them checking their weapons before entering the base.

They didn't make a big deal out of it, so it was easy to miss. (And it might have even been in the previous episode, I watched them back to back.)

I guess the base entry points are better guarded so they don't expect an invasion to get that far?

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, ae2 said:

They didn't make a big deal out of it, so it was easy to miss. (And it might have even been in the previous episode, I watched them back to back.)

I guess the base entry points are better guarded so they don't expect an invasion to get that far?

By Piper I think was her name acting like a soldier/Marine and jumping to at ease when a senior NCO in this case May came around I can look at SHIELD base and head canon that just like a modern US Military base has only the authorized MP reaction force being armed when not on a range. For story reason they would not get to the scene  in time to stop Agent May just as in real life a couple of military bases have had deadly attacks before the MPs could arrive

10 hours ago, romantic idiot said:

(psst, Chloe you want to know how to do depressed after boyfriend is sacrificed to save the world? Go watch 'Anne'). Hang on, maybe that's why this story seems stale. I've seen it already, and a better written and acted version too.

This sounds interesting to me -- could you offer any more information on 'Anne'?  I tried looking it up but unfortunately I couldn't find any results that sounded remotely similar (it was all "Annie," "Anne of Green Gables," Anne Frank, and Anne Hathaway -- Anne is certainly a popular name).  ETA: Never mind, from kitlee625's post, sounds like this is a Buffy episode!  That would explain why I was having trouble :)

As for me, either this season's plots haven't been catching my attention very much or my brain is more zoned out between 9 and 10 p.m. than I realized.  The new director seemed a lot more congenial than I was expecting.  I rather like that he's an inhuman, but I expect he'll end up being a bad guy (of course, making your colleagues wait two hours after agreeing to meet them is already pretty dastardly ...).

Edited by Senna
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, romantic idiot said:

I know it's been only 2 episodes, but it just feels like a drag. It's also because so much of it is driven by Daisy's story and Chloe's decided to express being newly goth-y by reducing any inflection from her voice, which is admittedly a feat as she didn't have much to begin with. (psst, Chloe you want to know how to do depressed after boyfriend is sacrificed to save the world? Go watch 'Anne'). Hang on, maybe that's why this story seems stale. I've seen it already, and a better written and acted version too.

I'm glad that someone else saw the parallels between Daisy S3 mourning Lincoln's death and Buffy S3 mourning Angel's death. The big difference being that "Anne" was amazing, and Buffy actually had to make a heartbreaking choice in the S2 finale, so you understood why she was so devastated.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, romantic idiot said:

What the hell did SDQ mean anyway?

Speaking for myself, apathy, habit, and the lack of something better. Also, an irrational loyalty to Whedon and the Avengers. Also the non Daisy parts are nice. Just too few and far between. 

I know it's been only 2 episodes, but it just feels like a drag. It's also because so much of it is driven by Daisy's story and Chloe's decided to express being newly goth-y by reducing any inflection from her voice, which is admittedly a feat as she didn't have much to begin with. (psst, Chloe you want to know how to do depressed after boyfriend is sacrificed to save the world? Go watch 'Anne'). Hang on, maybe that's why this story seems stale. I've seen it already, and a better written and acted version too. 

I don't know why but I thought Ghost Rider would be better looking (didn't see any of the promo images, unfortunately). Maybe it's the moustache but he's not giving me a lot of gravitas right now. Too thin. 

Nice try :o) Not buying it. 

Somehow my very long winded rant of a post was eaten by this site, for some reason and I haven't figured out why, so I will try to keep it short and I am going to try to hit the same points in my original post (by memory here)-

First:

I am glad someone else feels the same way- okay, now to my points about the story arcs so far- the Daisy story arc of atonement/redemption isn't working for me. Sure I do not like the character but I just don't get why and for what she wants atonement/redemption for? Is it because of Lash/Andrew's death because if so that might make sense to me. Although, I don't buy into her "atoning" for Lincoln's death for  a few reasons: 1) even if she thought that she needed/was destined to be inside that Qinjet, seems to be self centered (at least to me). Another reason is that I just don't like her new look. She looks like she is trying out for the part of the Goth Girl on South Park and I just hate it. I haven't seen that much eyeliner on someone in a long time and it looks really bad. Also, if she is really trying to atone for what "sins" why is she taking down banks/bridges? I know that they are trying to explain that she is fighting the Watchdogs but why? Why go after the Watchdogs where you can just fight crime and help the people who are less fortunate than you and/or who are powerless?

The Fitz and Simmons relationship thing is bothersome (for me but I am sure the shippers just love it). Look, I don't hate them together and I know that it was telegraphed since Season 1 that they were destined to get together, but I just don't see them as the happy in love couple that many others see them as. I did enjoy seeing them as just friends but ever since Fitz uttered the words, "Skye I think I am in love with Simmons" the whole relationship just got awkward to watch. Plus, Simmons never once seemed to be romantically interested in Fitz (and at the end of Season 2, he literally was begging her to go out with him), at least to me. Now, they have Fitz lying/hiding Radcliffe's LMD to Simmons which probably should have some kind of consequences for him, but they probably won't write any. Sure, the main reason is because of the new director, but if Fitz just reported it and asked to just observed Radcliffe and his LMD then I am sure nothing too bad would've happen and if something bad happens he can have SHIELD back him up. It was hinted that it was Simmons and Fitz's job to make sure Radcliffe doesn't do anything like this but apparently Fitz is going to hide it and going to help him "prefect" the LMD. Which is probably going to have problems down the road and will make Simmons look really bad at a job she likes doing. 

Ghost Rider, I do like the character. I think that the actor is doing a decent job but I just don't like the parts with Daisy. 

The Ghost people- it seems that they are going to have some kind of science explanation but leave open the idea that just maybe their is something else going on. I am not to happy about the science part of it but I guess I will just wait and see how everything turns out. 

The new director- Personally, I think that the name "Jeffrey" is a red herring and it will turn out to be Jim Hammond, the Human Torch. Sure he said that he was an Inhuman but I am going to give out the theory that he is really an android by Howard Stark that was made in the 1940s and he is just posing as Jim's "grandson" or relative. Either way, so far I am liking the new director. He was able to put Coulson in his place and I also think that he is aware of how Coulson got his "unlimited" funding from before. Sure, because I like him, he might turn out to be evil and/or morph into an evil character but so far I am liking him. 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 2

I liked the "I can do May" line. That was a little Whedonesque.

Liked the mention of the Darkhold, although I'm not super-psyched about so far the magic being just science we don't understand yet as opposed to freaking magic.

Liked the return of the shotgun-axe. There should be a nickname for it. The s-ax?

Not too psyched about the rest. 

On 9/30/2016 at 0:31 AM, Chicago Redshirt said:

I liked the "I can do May" line. That was a little Whedonesque.

Liked the mention of the Darkhold, although I'm not super-psyched about so far the magic being just science we don't understand yet as opposed to freaking magic.

Liked the return of the shotgun-axe. There should be a nickname for it. The s-ax?

Not too psyched about the rest. 

Someone (not me) on Reddit has named the Shaxe. Kind of a cool name for it.

Edited by TVSpectator

Also, I'm kinda half shipping May and Piper, though I'm pretty sure they're going the Philinda route this season, which I'm not opposed to, but I really think they work better as just BFFs.

I am not a fan of any ships on this show except Bobbi/Hunter (I miss them!). I suppose I didn't mind Daisy/Lincoln. But in general there aren't enough good friendships on television that don't get bunged up by shipping, so I wasn't happy when Fitz turned out to have been pining for Simmons forever, and then she decided belatedly that she'd be into that. I loved Mack and Yo-Yo's friendship, but it looks like the show is taking it down the relationship path. :-\ I really, really hope they don't go down the Philinda path—those two have been BFFs forever. (I did like that this ep balanced out past eps of Coulson's extreme concern for Daisy with his extreme concern for May.)  All that said? I was immediately into the idea of MayPiper with the first glimpse of them last week. I'd also really love to see Fitz/Mack. Realistically, I don't expect either to ever happen. 

So what was that at the end with putting May trussed up on the plane with the Congressional committee?! Yikes! And geez, please knock the poor woman out with a tranquilizer. 

• Love 2

I don't even know what's happening in this season.  Other than it's dark, and there's lots of eye makeup, and it's dark, and there's a lot of brooding, and it's dark and depressing, except ... I don't care.  I can barely pay attention long enough to follow the plot, so I'm actually somewhat confused with what's going on, because I just can't muster an ounce of give-a-damn about any of it.  Weird.

• Love 2
On 10/2/2016 at 3:29 AM, ahisma said:

I am not a fan of any ships on this show except Bobbi/Hunter (I miss them!). I suppose I didn't mind Daisy/Lincoln. But in general there aren't enough good friendships on television that don't get bunged up by shipping, so I wasn't happy when Fitz turned out to have been pining for Simmons forever, and then she decided belatedly that she'd be into that. I loved Mack and Yo-Yo's friendship, but it looks like the show is taking it down the relationship path. :-\ I really, really hope they don't go down the Philinda path—those two have been BFFs forever. (I did like that this ep balanced out past eps of Coulson's extreme concern for Daisy with his extreme concern for May.)  All that said? I was immediately into the idea of MayPiper with the first glimpse of them last week. I'd also really love to see Fitz/Mack. Realistically, I don't expect either to ever happen. 

So what was that at the end with putting May trussed up on the plane with the Congressional committee?! Yikes! And geez, please knock the poor woman out with a tranquilizer. 

I really don't like ships but I do enjoy a close friendship between two people (and that is probably why I like Bucky and Steve so much. Not because I find them to be a cute romantic couple but the fact that Steve would risk so much and also give up a lot for his friend and that Bucky (when he wasn't Hydra mind controlled) was a very good and supportive friend to Steve. Which says a lot about the other supposed, more "love", relationships in the MCU in general) and they were never gay nor supposed to be a romantic couple and that isn't why I like them. That being said, when Fitz was pining for Simmons ,in my opinion, the ending between the two were pretty much telegraphed. For crying out loud, all of the Will They/Won't They always turns out in favor of the one that is pining for the other (writers seems to rarely write the opposite. Because they end up writing a story that has been written a million times over and this time some fans think they aren't the main characters of this show). It's never the opposite and so you knew that Fitz will end up with Simmons (hell, if you put their names together you get an actual Irish Surname with at least three spelling variations- FitzSimmons/Fitzsimmons. Which just screams- 'we are so getting together'). Personally, I don't want any more ships (and that includes Yo-Yo/Mac. I like Yo-Yo but I just don't want another ship on this show. One is enough but then again, the writers are probably going to pair them up, because well when you introduce a character and said character says, to another character opposite of their gender, that they have a "strong connection/bond" to another character, then they are probably going to hook-up. IMO, the writing can be a bit predictable), but the whole Philanda shouldn't happen and really I feel like the writers wanted that since Season 1 (in my opinion, it sure seems that the relationship pairing dynamic went= Coulson/May, Fitz/Simmons, Skye-Daisy/Ward in Season 1). Overall I am just so tired of seeing these writers write another ship for any of the main characters (and some are already pairing up Daisy/Robbie). Can't they think of something else other than a relationships? Maybe have them do something that is related to actual spying/intelligence gathering?

Although, the May/Piper is different but I don't think they will go down this road. Only because writers tend to stick to hetero-relationships, especially on network TV. And that I am just so tired of seeing another freaking ship popping up this time with May (who we all know had a husband and at one time was planning on having kids with him) and Piper (which we know next to nothing). 

The Fitz/Mack thing only piqued my interest because I actually thought that Fitz might be gay/bi and didn't know it yet (silly me) but hey, that was supposedly just his mind saying those things about Mack for no reason back in Season 2. 

Edited by TVSpectator
  • Love 3

Finally got around to watching this episode and liked it. I didn't mind Daisy as a lot of people seemed too. She was just doing what she needed to get Robbie to talk to her. Actually it shows that she is still impacted by what she learned as an agent. I was sad that she wouldn't just go with Fitz and Mack :(.

I don't trust the new director, but I am glad that they made him an inhuman, that's interesting. And poor May. I was also glad that they didn't drag that out either.

• Love 2
On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎28 at 9:16 PM, DeepPoet117 said:

And I know they wanted Director Jeffrey to reveal his Inhuman status by knocking May out, but why did no one ICE her? Seriously? They had to risk giving her brain damage by bashing her head into a brick wall when they could have just knocked her out with one easy shot?

That bugged me too.  She is one of your top agents and you are going to possibly give her a serious brain injury when you bash her skull. You already had her incapacitated by holding her off the ground, just carry her over to one of those damn chambers. Then again I am wondering if extra strong brains is a super power everyone in the MCU has, especially considering the fight scenes in Daredevil.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, DeepPoet117 said:

Everyone but Fitz, I guess

Although, he was able to recover from his "irreversible" brain damage more quickly than other people who also suffer from brain damage and it was mentioned that his was "irreversible!"

• Love 1