Type keyword(s) to search

S18.E28: Prizes, Perks, & Power

• Start Topic

I tried. TVDB doesn't have a title up as of 11:14 PM ET on Thursday.

A county fair-themed episode includes competitions for the houseguests to win prizes, perks and power. Also: Reggae artist Ziggy Marley makes a surprise appearance and performs "Weekend's Long."

• Love 1

A retrospective episode. Um... yay? No, not really. These always blow. The only saving grace was Mr. Pectacular. A wet Mr. Pectacular. Yum.

Nicole really sucks at these. You can always tell when production feeds her a line to say because her voice gets this weird, louder inflection like she's trying really really hard to say her line right the first time so that they don't give it to someone else, like Natalie. 

ETA: Also, they should have kept Natalie and James for the end of the showmance section as a palate cleanser. Because blech at having to relive the lowlights of Nicole/Corey and Paulie/Zakiyah. 

Edited by Callaphera
  • Love 4

When was the concert & country fair done? I thought Paulie was still in the house for the concert but he wasn't anywhere around. Did they lock him in the DR? If they did wouldn't they have let on that he was pretty much going home? I'm so confused. LOL!!!

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, nottopbravo said:

Oh my God, I watched that??

3 minutes ago, CrazyDog said:

So.....that happened.

Aren't we just so lucky to get a sooper special Friday episode?

ETA:

2 minutes ago, ByaNose said:

When was the concert & country fair done? I thought Paulie was still in the house for the concert but he wasn't anywhere around. Did they lock him in the DR? If they did wouldn't they have let on that he was pretty much going home? I'm so confused. LOL!!!

It's not the first time that BB has "cleverly" edited around a HG. The infamous Aaryn Drinks Nail Polish Remover scene in BB15 was edited to remove Helen from the room because they showed it after Helen was evicted and because they needed to fill some air time. I was playing Spot the Paulie throughout the episode. "Oh, look! There's an arm in a shirt that no one is wearing!" "I think that's the back of his head!"

Edited by Callaphera
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, wings707 said:

So no one got a perk or power?  I haven't watched yet. 

The perk was an extra 30 seconds of searching during the HOH comp. The Have Nots were eligible and they drew numbers right before the comp and Michelle won the draw. 

• Love 1

It taped automatically. I had it on as white noise as I did something else. When I caught a glimpse of Paulie giving Z a lap dance I fought the urge to projectile vomit, and shut that garbage off. 

• Love 8

I know I'm the only one who can't stand Natalie on here so please forgive me for this: UGHHH! at childish Natalie with all her middle school giggling, her leg kicks, her just too awkward attempts to MISS a target or roll a ball in a straight line more than 2 feet without it going all crazy wonky, her leaning waaaay over to 'innocently' show the guys what a boob wrinkle is over and over and over.  (Boy is she proud of those bolt ons.)  I know she's going for the cute, sexy yet innocent, and dumb role, but I just cant take much more.   I may have to give this show up this year.  I cant find anyone left to root for!  I despise them all :(   My whole family loves Natalie and think she's 'adorable'.  I think she tries too hard to be adorable....   Ok, that's all. 

• Love 8

Well, that was simply odd. What did this show accomplish? Does Ziggy Marley have such a big or loyal fan base to pull great ratings for CBS on a Friday night?

The careful editing to avoid showing Paulie was kinda funny. It was also interesting how they've revised Zaulie to be little more than a largely chaste and unrequited crush on Z's part. Meanwhile the video footage them having sex is easily viewable on the interwebs. That video will probably live on in infamy unless TPTB make an effort to get it removed. (Probably at Paulie's request...)

I hate that I'm going to say this but if Natalie was such a big deal as an NFL cheerleader, how come she didn't snag herself one the players? There are  probably league rules against fraternizing but those surely get broken for the sake of "true love". I'm still pulling for her though, with Victor as my alternate choice.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Callaphera said:

Nicole really sucks at these. You can always tell when production feeds her a line to say because her voice gets this weird, louder inflection like she's trying really really hard to say her line right the first time so that they don't give it to someone else, like Natalie. 

The whole episode reeked of this.  Sitting around a picnic table "reminiscing" about the good times.   Lines like "We sure had fun with pranks"  and then "OOOOOHHHH!"    "These pies are messy, but nothing's as messy as our competitions"  (everyone laughs hysterically)

Like a bad episode of "Saved by the Bell"

I also wondered if some of those scenes were re-filmed without Polly, not just edited to leave him out.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, stcroix said:

I know I'm the only one who can't stand Natalie

You're not alone, but to be fair, I never met her and don't know her personally.  Just know too many people who have either gone to school with her or have worked with her at MSG.  Rightly or wrongly, that has formed my opinion.  I don't know any NY Jets cheerleaders, and that's okay with me because I'm Big Blue all the way.  They, however, may have a very different opinion. 

• Love 2

Mr. Pectacular has never looked less attractive to me. I think his head is shrinking, and his face looked really drawn.  Also, if you have to ask people to applaud for you, shouldn't that tell you something?

Natalie looked adorable with the pink dots on her face. Looks like she's wearing Dry Lo by Serious Skincare. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, stcroix said:

I know I'm the only one who can't stand Natalie on here so please forgive me for this: UGHHH! at childish Natalie with all her middle school giggling, her leg kicks, her just too awkward attempts to MISS a target or roll a ball in a straight line more than 2 feet without it going all crazy wonky, her leaning waaaay over to 'innocently' show the guys what a boob wrinkle is over and over and over.  (Boy is she proud of those bolt ons.)  I know she's going for the cute, sexy yet innocent, and dumb role, but I just cant take much more.   I may have to give this show up this year.  I cant find anyone left to root for!  I despise them all :(   My whole family loves Natalie and think she's 'adorable'.  I think she tries too hard to be adorable....   Ok, that's all. 

I agree that she's not as innocent as she would like us believe in regards to the Paulie/Natalie shenanigans. She's a tease.

• Love 3

Ah Ye Olde Clip Show....though strange placing...this use to be staple for many years for the final week during that incredibly boring period when there are only three players left in the house. One thing is still the same...the painfully scripted manner in which the houseguests set up the clips.

Diary room clip aside tonight was one of the rare moments when I remembered James is a self declared hillbilly/country boy...because it didn't look like he was really in to the whole regae music. Throw on some country western and I think he would have been more animated..

Love the Jatalie segment. If anyone at CBS is worth their weight in gold they need to sign James and Natlie up for THE AMAZING RACE as in NOW. I'm so happy for James this year after last year of Meg trapping him in an unyielding friend zone.

The Zakiyah birthday lap dance...for whatever reason BB refused to show the happy times Zaulie had before he turned into a raging jerk. This clip should have been in the regular episodes but they BURIED that showmance until it all fell apart.

Interesting..a few episodes I was wondering if the Houseguest used the Jefferies Tube to get some privacy away from the others to the secret room..and there was Paulie and Z. I wonder how long ago that was...people posted that they didn't think it was still open.

Reluctantly I must conclude that Paulie's looks (certainly not his personality) must land him a ton of women in the real world because its inexplicable that he showed such little interest (not even wanting to kiss her) for Z...a woman that I guarantee 99% of single males would give their left arm for a shot at.

I was wondering when Alison Grodner would trot out her pet ape Jessie...and there you go. What that woman's obsession with that muscle bound clown is I will never know but we will unlikely ever be rid of him or the overrated "Big Jeff".

Bronte gets no love in the flashbacks (Glenn doesn't even count).

Not feeling this HOH comp for some reason. Listen...if they could shell out buck for Ziggy Marley why not throw some money Tobin Bell (a/k/a SAW's Jigsaw actor) and get him to do the voice for the comp.

Edited by North of Eden
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, backformore said:

The whole episode reeked of this.  Sitting around a picnic table "reminiscing" about the good times.   Lines like "We sure had fun with pranks"  and then "OOOOOHHHH!"    "These pies are messy, but nothing's as messy as our competitions"  (everyone laughs hysterically)

I also wondered if some of those scenes were re-filmed without Polly, not just edited to leave him out.

There's no such thing! Zack and Kelly 4ever!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Ananayel said:

Heaven help me, I'm beginning to actually like Mr. Pectacular. Someone please talk me down...

2 hours ago, Callaphera said:

Welcome to the dark side. We have cookies!

Well @Ananayel and @Callaphera, both of you have something in common with Jessie Godderz:

You're all in love with Jessie Godderz.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

The voice inside the black box sounded like Jigsaw.  That would be quite another game to play. 

Heh, that totally reminds me of a remark someone made a few weeks ago on another board, that they should just set Michael Myers loose in the house to do his slicing and dicing with his trusty butcher knife.  All the running and screaming!  Horrible awful human beings being slaughtered while the audience cheers!  Let the bodies hit the floor, until only the Final Girl (Natalie) is left standing to bravely defeat him...until BB19.

Goddamnit, I should have known better than to actually expect something, anything, of actual substance.  What a waste of an hour!  And of course we end with a To Be Continued HOH comp.  Does CBS honestly think we're waiting with bated breath for the next episode when they pull this horseshit?  It's not like I can't simply Google and find out who won.  It just pisses me off.

If they were really going to air this goddamn retrospective crap now, why not at least air all-new never-before-seen footage?  Aside from maybe the Paulie/Zakiyah barfmance (As the Stomach Turns!), was there anything we hadn't seen before?  I've already forgotten much of this episode, but I do remember watching a lot of it thinking, "Haven't I seen this entire scene in previously-aired broadcast episodes?"  Blergh.

• Love 2

The way they edit Z and Paulie's relationship was so bias and untrue that I had to laugh at it. I'm not surprised by it cause I expected TPTB to do this. It’s just sad so to see.

Also I'm part of the little "I don't like Nat" club. I think she's fake and I truly dislike fake people in RL and in tv. 

• Love 3

What a waste of an episode. 45 minutes of phony, forced dialogue and clips of things we've mostly already seen. Blah. And what was up with Nicole's toast? "Cheers to.....this is just awesome, guys!" Wow. Why did I ever like her?

I will say, I got a good chuckle of the Jozea clips. He never fails to make me laugh, with his assumption that he's God's greatest gift on earth....or, rather, God himself. I also enjoyed Zakiyah's birthday dance....up until Paulie had a solo. Then I threw the covers over my head in fear. 

I really didn't care for the showmance montage. I don't think the other two should have been included with Natalie and James. Those two are just adorable and I can really see them lasting outside the house. I loved when they were playing the dart game and Nat was like, "We both got $.25, James, we're made for each other!" 

But Corey and Nicole? More of a BOREmance. That kiss in the little carnival booth was sooooo lame. And Paulie and Zakiyah were so damn dysfunctional, it was no fun reliving that. Girl is sitting there crying and Paulie just doesn't give a fuck. I don't care if you think her issues are unfounded, you should still be empathetic to the fact that she's upset, period. But no, he looked like he was waiting in line at the DMV. I hope every girl he tries to date in the future has seen this show and rejects him and he dies old and alone, with nothing but the mice in the cupboards to keep him company. 

I am known for having the memory of a....well, what's the opposite of an elephant? Point is, I can't remember anything that happened more than a week ago, and I didn't watch the feeds - but I don't remember Cody being that much of a douce. There was an arrogance about him, for sure, but overall he seemed pretty passive, fairly benign. It makes me wonder about the dynamics of that family. I would imagine Paulie is the baby of the family, and has been doted on his entire life. 

The clip with the guys calling James out about his pranks was interesting, especially in light of how pissed Victor and Paul were getting during the Hide the Veto comp. James is probably my favorite person in the house and I generally don't take issue with his pranks, but I agree that putting food in someone's bed is going too far. He really should have just apologized and realized that not everyone thinks that kind of stuff is funny. I hope that these pranks are just a boredom killer in the house, and that he's not constantly that immature in real life - because that might be a real romance buster in the long term. 

So yea, of course we only get to the HOH comp in the last 5 minutes. Sigh. I hate, hate, hate cliffhanger comps. But I don't think I'll spoil myself this time, as this comp is going to be intense and I kind of want to experience it along with them. Just hoping Corey or Nicole don't win. 

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Ananayel said:

Heaven help me, I'm beginning to actually like Mr. Pectacular. Someone please talk me down...

He's never going to do anything for me physically, but I'd be lying if I said he didn't crack me up a few times last night. He seems to poking fun at himself form time to time, which I can always appreciate. 

8 hours ago, backformore said:

Holy crap, YES! You nailed it. That's exactly what this episode was. (I'm actually assigning roles in my head right now!)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't blame Victor and Corey for being pissed that James put crackers in their beds as a prank.  It wasn't funny at all.  Then the confrontation between James and Victor just showed how much of a douche James is

I particularly don't like his attitude,, "If you don't think chips in your bed is hilarious then you're a sad person with no sense of humor." I think most practical jokes are tedious and don't really understand the appeal. Victor should have retaliated with a counter prank of onion dip smeared all over James's sheets to see just how much he would laugh at that.

• Love 7

I hate that I'm going to say this but if Natalie was such a big deal as an NFL cheerleader, how come she didn't snag herself one the players? There are  probably league rules against fraternizing but those surely get broken for the sake of "true love".

She might have dated some pro jocks; this makes sense based on Nat saying that James was the one who taught her how to trust a man.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, SevenStars said:

Also I'm part of the little "I don't like Nat" club. I think she's fake and I truly dislike fake people in RL and in tv. 

How fake is she??

24 minutes ago, JudyObscure said:

I particularly don't like his attitude,, "If you don't think chips in your bed is hilarious then you're a sad person with no sense of humor." I think most practical jokes are tedious and don't really understand the appeal. Victor should have retaliated with a counter prank of onion dip smeared all over James's sheets to see just how much he would laugh at that.

I love that Victor seems to be somewhat of a neat freak. First, he was bothered that Nat stepped on the bottoms of her pants as she walked. Then, he seemed really annoyed at the unnecessary mess James made in the scavenger hunt competition. Finally, he calmly lets james know that he is annoyed by the crackers in the bed prank. 

A lot of you hate victor, but I'll take him!

• Love 12
3 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I am known for having the memory of a....well, what's the opposite of an elephant? Point is, I can't remember anything that happened more than a week ago, and I didn't watch the feeds - but I don't remember Cody being that much of a douce. There was an arrogance about him, for sure, but overall he seemed pretty passive, fairly benign. It makes me wonder about the dynamics of that family.

A goldfish.  They supposedly have a memory that lasts only about three seconds (although I think that's been debunked).

3 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I would imagine Paulie is the baby of the family, and has been doted on his entire life. 

Actually, he's the oldest -- or at least, he's older than Cody.

• Love 1

I hate to say it but I didn't mind Jesse. I couldn't stand him during his seasons but when he showed up later hawking all his merchandise a few seasons ago as a joke I appreciated his sense of humor in doing that bit. Last night it was the same deal. His sense of humor was on display showing he can still make fun of his image.

As far as Natalie not hooking up with an NFL player....I knew an NFL cheerleader and she said they almost never have contact with the players or announcing crew. Maybe it was just that team but she said they practiced several times a week and then got extra bucks posing for a calendar.

Overall the show was a waste of time. I knew that going in so life must be more boring than I can admit.

• Love 1

Wow !! The Chenbot hype that Ziggy Marley would be 'stopping by' was bang-on -- and Ziggy and his band were seen/heard on screen for barely 2 minutes, appeared to do one song, and no encore.   That was it -- I hope the check cleared.

12 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Isn't it strange that both Paulie and Cody have the stripper moves down pat. Is it on-the-job training or is it in their genes?

Probably part of the high school core curriculum in New Jersey.  I kid, I kid.

Edited by ottoDbusdriver
  • Love 4

I agree.  Pranks, if they're clever and rare, are OK.  But when your repertoire consists of "food in the bed"  and "Jumping out yelling", then that has nothing to do with a sense of humor, it's adolescent nonsense.   Food in the bed is not a prank - it's unsanitary.  James defends it by saying that the ants in the house aren't the kind that bite - WTF?  BUGS!  In beds!   I get it, in some places, at some times of year, there will be ants - but if you keep food in the kitchen, at least you can keep the ants to one area of the house as well.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, Blissfool said:

Isn't it strange that both Paulie and Cody have the stripper moves down pat. Is it on-the-job training or is it in their genes?

Born and bred strippers. 

7 hours ago, legaleagle53 said:

Actually, he's the oldest -- or at least, he's older than Cody.

Ahhh, okay. Don't they have a sister too? 

And thanks for the goldfish analogy. I'll try to remember that. 

10 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

I particularly don't like [James's] attitude,, "If you don't think chips in your bed is hilarious then you're a sad person with no sense of humor." I think most practical jokes are tedious and don't really understand the appeal. Victor should have retaliated with a counter prank of onion dip smeared all over James's sheets to see just how much he would laugh at that.

James is a desperate fame-whore who's been encouraged to see his "pranks" as his ticket to camera-time.  Even his buddy Jason is so very over him.  Now he's clinging onto a "showmance" that's about as likely to happen as Corey/Nicole (which is less likely, Natalie ever considering moving to Texas, or Corey actually liking girls?  Tough call…), but back in Week 1, he was awfully aggressive, wasn't he?  Good on Victor for giving James the hairy eyeball, even if Paul's subsequent descent to Catchphrase Cheeseball undercuts any honest scorn he showed back then.

Wow, I think we saw more of Zakiyah in this episode than the other 27 combined.  And now I know why.   She makes Nicole look like Ms. Personality, by comparison.  "Zzzzzzakiyah", indeed.

Still, as long as they give me Brenchel and Jesse on consecutive nights, I'm this show's bitch, and I'm sure they know it.  *Happy sigh*

• Love 3

Mr. Pectacular's Tech Pack Spectacular

No words in the vernacular

Can describe this great event

You'll be dumb with wonderment

So exciting! The viewers will both cheer and jeer.

So delighting! They will ask him back for 50 years.

• Love 4
18 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I don't blame Victor and Corey for being pissed that James put crackers in their beds as a prank.  It wasn't funny at all.  Then the confrontation between James and Victor just showed how much of a douche James is.  James just doesn't get it.  If there is a bug problem in the BB House, did he really think that people wanted them attracted to their beds because of his cracker prank? James is an asshole.  The fact that he couldn't see Victor's side of this makes James a bigger asshole.  I hope Victor has shut down James' prank pulling for good.

15 hours ago, Blissfool said:

I love that Victor seems to be somewhat of a neat freak. First, he was bothered that Nat stepped on the bottoms of her pants as she walked. Then, he seemed really annoyed at the unnecessary mess James made in the scavenger hunt competition. Finally, he calmly lets james know that he is annoyed by the crackers in the bed prank. 

In truth, yall might cut James a little slack.  Why?  Because James wasn't the one who put crackers in Victor's bed - Corey was. :)

1. James did put the crackers in Corey's bed - around Corey, while Corey was sleeping in the bed.  [Aside: I do think James could be forgiven for thinking there was some degree of humor in the act, because the other HGs in the bedroom were cracking up as James was doing it - so there was definitely a certain degree of positive reinforcement.]
  2. When an (understandably) cranky Corey was awakened by the realization his movements abed were subject to crunchy accompaniment, he was irritably grabbing handfuls of crackers and tossing them anywhere else other than in his bed.  Corey was doing this in the dark, however, and couldn't see where they were landing - and while many (most?) were landing on the floor, some were landing on Vic's bed which was next to Corey's.

I actually thought it pretty cool of James that despite probably figuring out pretty quickly what was going on (James puts crackers in Corey's bed + Vic bitching about crackers in his bed = not exactly rocket science), James kept his mouth shut and took the heat from Victor without attempting to shift any blame to Corey.  And, to be fair, Corey tossing crackers willy-nilly wouldn't have been an issue if James hadn't provided the ammunition in the first place.  :)

There's no denying James' pranks are nowhere near everybody's cup of tea - but by the same token, there's also no denying Victor has more than once demonstrated a tendency to be a self-righteous prig with a stick up his ass roughly the size of a sequoia.  So when Victor starts in on one of his condescending lectures, I for one am not surprised if James reacts like he's listening to a lecture from Charlie Brown's teacher (blah blah BLAH blah blah blah).

P.S.: I also suspect James' quibbling about the type of ants was more than a little in the way of baiting/goading Victor - and given Victor's attitude, I'd be hard-put to say I wouldn't do the same under similar circumstances.

• Love 6

You always provide a good defense, Nashville, but let me just say -- I opened the door to my pantry to get out some dog food this morning and the entire floor was teaming with "harmless," sugar ants and I didn't laugh at all.  At least  not until after I had sprayed them with Raid and was watching them die.

11 hours ago, ghoulina said:

Born and bred strippers. 

You know Paulie and Corey would just love to be part of a big "bro" group of strippers, they could groom each other all day, call themselves "The Friendship," and make all the women drool without having to actually touch any of them.

• Love 6

Big Meech's super-fan reaction to Mr. Pectacular was the highlight of a really boring episode.

Also, LOL at baseball coach Corey not able to Dunk the Hunk...perhaps Corey was rattled by the pecs?  #NotGayCorey

I like the Black Box comps, but I'm not sure why production felt the need to douse them in foul-smelling gunk.  That seems to be a bit of overkill.  Maybe whoever made the foul concoction for the Uncle Austin episode had some left over, and they didn't want it to go to waste?

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Nashville said:

There's no denying James' pranks are nowhere near everybody's cup of tea - but by the same token, there's also no denying Victor has more than once demonstrated a tendency to be a self-righteous prig with a stick up his ass roughly the size of a sequoia.  So when Victor starts in on one of his condescending lectures, I for one am not surprised if James reacts like he's listening to a lecture from Charlie Brown's teacher (blah blah BLAH blah blah blah).

This was both amusing and dead on target, though you may now have ruined Vic's lectures for me. I'm going to hear the Charlie Brown adult voice instead.

I found it interesting how offended Victor was that Nicole told people he'd asked her out. "Have you seen me?"  Yes, Vic. You don't wear a shirt. We've all seen you. In fact, I'm pretty sure I recall you removing that shirt to try to manipulate and get close to Nicole the first week or so, but she didn't bite. *eyeroll* Anyways, he obviously ditched that plan and is now deeply offended that anyone would consider him and Nicole as dating equals. I don't care for Nicole, but that's quite an ego there, Vic. 

• Love 4

I have to say, from what we saw, this will be the least challenging "dud" piece setup ever for a Black Box. The pieces all go on that pole and the "dud" pieces are just plates w/no holes so once you 'fall for' one dud you'll realize to look and make sure every piece you take back has the hole in it. They should have done it with differing hole sizes so you'd have to try each one to find out instead. This way you know the 'secret' after one wrong attempt.

11 hours ago, Wandering Snark said:

I have to say, from what we saw, this will be the least challenging "dud" piece setup ever for a Black Box. The pieces all go on that pole and the "dud" pieces are just plates w/no holes so once you 'fall for' one dud you'll realize to look and make sure every piece you take back has the hole in it. They should have done it with differing hole sizes so you'd have to try each one to find out instead. This way you know the 'secret' after one wrong attempt.

Actually, I thought Jigsaw had made specific allusion to such in the initial description of the comp. I was mildly surprised to see the duds were all simple slugs - or maybe those were the only ones which ended up on the broadcast...?

On 8/19/2016 at 9:06 PM, Callaphera said:

I was playing Spot the Paulie throughout the episode. "Oh, look! There's an arm in a shirt that no one is wearing!" "I think that's the back of his head!"

I wasn't looking for what they had done, but I noticed Natalie's shorts suddenly change color and go back again in one scene, a blazing giveaway that somebody had edited the clip.

On 8/19/2016 at 11:27 PM, Joimiaroxeu said:

Does Ziggy Marley have such a big or loyal fan base to pull great ratings for CBS on a Friday night?

I figured the opposite; they got him cheap because his fan base was falling off and he (or his agent) was looking for exposure.

23 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Also, LOL at baseball coach Corey not able to Dunk the Hunk...perhaps Corey was rattled by the pecs?

I got a chuckle out of Nicole wishing she was sober when they started the games. I suspect the HG's were plied with alcohol to keep the number of dunkings down.

In a random moment of boredom, I noticed that Paul's chest tat screamed "coverup". Anybody know what he used to have? I don't get the feeds or BBAD, so if he's mentioned it I haven't seen it.