Type keyword(s) to search

The Other Duggars: The Lost Girls and Amy

Message added by Scarlett45

If your post is not PRIMARILY about the Duggars, it will be removed. Please stick to the topic or take it to Small Talk, thank you.

• Start Topic

Wasn't there an episode where the Jkids weren't listening. at. all. , and another SisterMom threatened to turn the offenders over to Jana, and they all jumped to attention???? Maybe I'm dreaming, but if so, it seems more like she's the stern disciplinarian.

I think she just likes babies...she's always the one holding an infant.  Maybe she's more like Mullet than anyone knows.

It's really impossible to know. However, I would imagine that it's relatively common to threaten misbehaving children with being turned over to whatever oldest child happens to be in charge at that particular moment since age equals authority. I am sure that Jana has been tasked with disciplining her mother's children on many occasions, but a little well-doled out discipline is not always a bad thing, like when Josie is walking across the counter. It's not as if she's in the business of locking children in the Chokey like Miss Trunchbull. 

I do agree 100% when it comes to her love for babies. Jana always makes a beeline for the babies, it seems, which makes it all that much more curious that she does not seem to be in a hurry to have any of her own babies. 

To bring it back to the howlers and lost girls, I'm guessing that Jana is tired from parenting her mother's children, because her mom and dad have been checked out for the majority of the younger children's lives. Hence their behavior. 

Edited by Guest

Jana's the mother of about 14 children and she's never been pregnant.  She should have her own show titled 14 Children and Not Pregnant Again, or something like that.  I wonder if she is reluctant to get married (?) because she knows it means just spending the rest of her life raising children and she's already done that her whole childhood.  

• Love 4

Jana's the mother of about 14 children and she's never been pregnant. She should have her own show titled 14 Children and Not Pregnant Again, or something like that. I wonder if she is reluctant to get married (?) because she knows it means just spending the rest of her life raising children and she's already done that her whole childhood.

"And I gave birth to none of them."

• Love 18

Wasn't there an episode where the Jkids weren't listening. at. all. , and another SisterMom threatened to turn the offenders over to Jana, and they all jumped to attention???? Maybe I'm dreaming, but if so, it seems more like she's the stern disciplinarian.

I think she just likes babies...she's always the one holding an infant. Maybe she's more like Mullet than anyone knows.

It was Joy who couldn't get them to listen. They may not have paid attention because she is a quasi-sister mom and was a junior member of a buddy group until recently.

I think that Jessa, Jill, and Jana all had "control" over the kids because they were in mothering roles. Joy was a middle kid and had more of a childhood than the others, though I think Michelle was prepping for her to be Josie's mom. I left Jinger out bc while a J'slave and sister mom, she never seemed to exert the same level of authority over the kids that the other three did.

I never saw Jana on the show as an overt disciplinarian like Jessa.

Edited by Cocka doodle dont
  • Love 2

Jana's the mother of about 14 children and she's never been pregnant.  She should have her own show titled 14 Children and Not Pregnant Again, or something like that.  I wonder if she is reluctant to get married (?) because she knows it means just spending the rest of her life raising children and she's already done that her whole childhood.  

It makes me think of the two oldest Delaney sisters (from their memoir Having Our Say).  They both decided they'd had enough of raising children by the time they were adults, and were happy to pursue their careers.  And by their account, their parents were quite involved and there were only 10 of them. 

• Love 4

I think a lot of us are united in taking hypocrisy off television via this show, and we are winning. I'm not sure any of us win if we get into judging who is good looking and who isn't.  That doesn't feel right to me, but as always, just my opinion.

Edited by pennben
  • Love 11

What I actually meant is that they think very highly of themselves.

But I think I'm already on record that I find Jim Bob unattractive. If we ever meet, I sincerely hope he returns the favor.

Edited by JenCarroll
  • Love 6

But I think I'm already on record that I find Jim Bob unattractive. If we ever meet, I sincerely hope he returns the favor.

But this area is so subjective, beauty being in the eye of the beholder. Personally, I've named my battery-operated boyfriend after him.

I'm lying.

But seriously, I was sorry to see one of the girls called "homely." People have their God-given faces and heaven knows, I'm no show-stopper. JMO, I find JB unattractive because of his inner self more than his "countenance." As much as I dislike him, I have to recognize that he didn't get to choose his face.

JenCarroll, this post is not aimed at you, BTW. I am just musing.

Edited by Tabbygirl521
  • Love 12

But seriously, I was sorry to see one of the girls called "homely." People have their God-given faces and heaven knows, I'm no show-stopper. JMO, I find JB unattractive because of his inner self more than his "countenance." As much as I dislike him, I have to recognize that he didn't get to choose his face.

This. I think it's unfair to judge someone based on their looks generally, and more specifically, judging this family based on their physical appearance makes us no less superficial than they appear to be. IMO, there are plenty of legitimate reasons to be critical of them.

• Love 5

One of the disadvantages of dallying with hard liquor - I come from a long line of not-teetotallers, so I'm not judging here, at least about that - is that if you do, when you depart your first youth your face becomes somewhat less elastic than the faces of people who abstain. I suspect Amy thinks she looks younger when she scrunches.

Edited by Julia
  • Love 2

Some of these things have to be pointed out to us.  I had a habit of doing something with my countenance that I did not realize I was doing, let alone how it looked.  My husband finally told me in a nice way and reminded me a couple of times when the habit popped up again.  He didn't tell me I looked like a loon, although I probably did, he just mentioned it.  And since he wasn't hypercritical of every. single. thing. I did.  That is unlike others who supposedly loved me.  So I listened to him.  BTW I still have a relative who purports to love and care about me and is like death to my soul.  Got to get rid of that.  By any means necessary.

• Love 5

From Amy's wedding. Amy tries to act like a coy, delicate southern lady:

6s6vkx.jpg

And her rehearsal minutes earlier:

16lk305.jpg

And it looks just as phony and ridiculous the second time as it does the first. Your acting does not improve with practice, Famy. Please look carefully at these pictures before discarding them and vow never to make this stupid face again.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3

This look doesn't surprise or bother me particularly. I grew up in the south and have lived most of my adult life in the NE and the west.

It's a cultural norm among many southern women to affect a sort of "hyper-feminity." This is a very studied and conscience thing. There is a reason why most Miss America winners come from the south -- the south doesn't have a higher percentage of beautiful women, but it definitely has a higher percentage of women who see their feminity as a particular skill-set to be practiced and honed. These sorts of facial expressions and mannerisms appear very fake to outsiders, but I would bet they are 100% the norm among Amy's friends.

The photos may look ridiculous to us, but I would imagine that she is very pleased with them. I can also pretty much guarantee that a woman who did not scrunch up her nose or tee hee, or overtly conform to this standard in some way would be considered "butch" by many southern men.

This is not true of all southerners, of course, but it isn't uncommon at all, and it really has no counter-point in the north.

• Love 8

The photos may look ridiculous to us, but I would imagine that she is very pleased with them. I can also pretty much guarantee that a woman who did not scrunch up her nose or tee hee, or overtly conform to this standard in some way would be considered "butch" by many southern men.

This is not true of all southerners, of course, but it isn't uncommon at all, and it really has no counter-point in the north.

I grew up in the NE, but have spent a good bit of time studying the Antebellum and Postbellum South (in both myth and reality), and confirm that this psuedo-Scarlett O'Hara Lost Cause Belle thing is a very common cultural standard.  

• Love 2

After bad insomnia last night, I am choosing to be lazy on the couch this afternoon. So I went to YouTube (on my TV) and watched some Duggar Studio movies. One was Happiness Is, a musical by I think the twin Howlers, and, I think, some Bate's boys. I thought it was well done and the yodeling twin was hilarious! I know I'm a bit slow, but are they lip syncing or actually singing? I also watched Discipline Outtakes, which definitely highlights Michelle's ineptness as a mother. Why that little JoHannie did not know who her mother even was! Although little Jackson still remembered her before she checked out.

I went down the YouTube rabbit hole yesterday. One clip was Michelle giving a tour of the house. Jordyn was probably 2 years old and tagging along. When Michelle talked to her, it sounded like someone who had never been around kids. Just very "sweet" and exaggerated. Hard to describe. Jordyn did seem to gravitate toward Michelle as if she recognized her, at least.

• Love 3

Wow, thanks for the information. And -- gross. Glad I'm butch then.

• Love 6

Having never actually watched the show, I have to ask:  How is Jana's name pronounced?  Does it rhyme with banana or Dana?

(I wasn't sure if this belongs in the 19 Questions thread.  I apologize if it's in the wrong place.)

Edited by magpye29
  • Love 1

Having never actually watched the show, I have to ask: How is Jana's name pronounced? Does it rhyme with banana or Dana?

(I wasn't sure if this belongs in the 19 Questions thread. I apologize if it's in the wrong place.)

Jan-uh Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 2

I read today that Jinger may be courting Lawson Bates. What do y'all think?

That's been going around since the picture from Famy's wedding showed them standing next to each other. Jinger was also standing next to an old guy. Maybe HE is her intended. (I hope not, but remember who the real matchmaker is!) 

I personally think it's a "nothing to see here" non-issue. 

• Love 2

Jenny does resemble Jana. It's funny because Boob and Michelle's features combined to make really attractive girls, but it's like the buck stopped there and the boys were shit outta luck. Jer and Jed seem to be the only two who might escape puberty unscathed.

• Love 6