Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

31 minutes ago, FairyDusted said:

I can't even begin to think WTH is going on there today. I wonder if they were summoned to Tator Tot Way? We thought Jill was jumpy before?! Girl is hopping out of her natural skin today. Hope she got some Xanax with her fancy sticker.

If not, maybe Michelle will give Jill some of her’s. (Xanax).

• Love 5

Derelict and Jill were hardly shown on the new show since they were in Danger America which may have lead to less money for the both of them. I also thought Derick wanted to stay close since his mom was seriously ill during his honeymoon.

21 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jinger was able to put down almost $90k on her house. We don't know what Jessa paid Mary, but the house is valued at $100k. Maybe Jessa was gifted the house for saving the franchise, but where did Jinger come up with that kind of coin? Jeremy didn't make big bank at all in his pathetic soccer career. For instance, he only made $44k when he played with the Red Bulls. That wouldn't have covered expenses living in NYC. No way he made more than that in Finland; I'm a huge soccer fan and didn't even realize Finland had a league until I heard that Jeremy played in it. So no, he didn't have that kind of bank saved up. 

I wonder if Jeremy called up his sports agent and had them negotiate a separate contract with TLC which is funding their real estate, clothing, vacations, etc. Their standard of living is much higher than the other couples. 

As for the Dullards paying rent on the previous Duggar-owned McMansions, I think his statement was metaphorical, as in he was aware that their standard of living was taking a hit living in the Cross Church duplex. It's also known that Cross Church's housing is gratis, being part of the tuition. However, they might have to pay a little something for "family" housing instead of typically putting two or three kids into an apartment. That said, we have no evidence that Derelict even has a job, although he once curtly replied that he had one. With his school obligations, what kind of job could he have that would be flexible enough for him to have nights and weekends off? Yes, I'm dubious about the claim of a job; if anything it's more of a "volunteer" gig with the church than he had as the Husband of the Star on TLC. 

I believe Jeremy has said his agent was a close friend in interviews.  The agent might have been the one to tell him to become a pastor when he was struggling in San Antonio iirc?  I don’t doubt the agent at least looked over the TLC documents for Jeremy & Jinger, if not negotiated something completely separate for them.  The Duggar LLC wouldn’t be able to operate in Texas without some restructuring, so it might have been easier for JB to cut Jinger loose completely.

But Jeremy did have soccer scholarships to college and got a full ride.  His parents seem like the type to have saved some chunk of change for college.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Jeremy’s once upon a time college fund became his house fund.

Would student loans pay for Cross Church or did Derick have to scrounge up $10,000 on his own?  I wonder if there was any education endowments that he had access to because of his father, although I would have thought that would have been used at OSU.

Does Cross Church offer any after school programs?  I could easily see Derick as a camp counselor/after school counselor.  My church growing up had a similar program where they watched us until about 6pm.  I bet we see Derick work as a counselor at their summer program this year if they offer one.  We know he’s been “working” with kids and driving the bus around.

Edited by saylubee
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Bitter Betty said:

I also keep thinking about that tweet Derick made a couple of months ago where people were wondering why they lived in that small apartment and he said something to the effect that it was cheaper to live there than where they previously lived (which had been a Duggar house, if I recall the conversation at that time correctly). That either points to the Dillards not getting free housing from JB or Derick was speaking metaphorically. 

21 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

As for the Dullards paying rent on the previous Duggar-owned McMansions, I think his statement was metaphorical, as in he was aware that their standard of living was taking a hit living in the Cross Church duplex. It's also known that Cross Church's housing is gratis, being part of the tuition. However, they might have to pay a little something for "family" housing instead of typically putting two or three kids into an apartment. 

So here's my 2 cents.  I'm guessing that while they may have gotten to live in the McMansion for free or cheap rent, paying for the electrical/gas/water/garbage, etc was a lot more than in the duplex Cross Church housing.  Plus with it being school housing, at least from my past experience in college back in the Stone age, the family housing didn't have to pay power/gas/water/garbage.  If they have to pay a small amount for family housing or no amount as part of their schooling AND get free utilities, that could save them quite a bit.  Not to mention, I'm sure Jill would have paid a ton in gas and the car upkeep because she would need to go to the school all the time to see him for lunch or whatnot and their duplex housing would save those expenses as well.  I still don't get how they pay for food and clothing/phones/insurance/etc.

6 minutes ago, saylubee said:

Does Cross Church offer any after school programs?  I could easily see Derick as a camp counselor/after school counselor.  My church growing up had a similar program where they watched us until about 6pm.  I bet we see Derick work as a counselor at their summer program this year if they offer one.  We know he’s been “working” with kids and driving the bus around.

All I could think was those poor kids.  3 hours a day - assuming 3pm - 6 pm of Derick and his power point presentations.

• Love 8
On 3/10/2018 at 10:23 AM, tabloidlover said:

I think @Marigold said it better than I did.   

It seemed clear that as soon as Dumbass Dullard twatted about writing a book, JB came right back at him.   Was it just a happy birthday tweet?  Perhaps, but I seriously doubt it.  It was more of an "I see you, Derick and you better get back in line."   To further prove that, after JB posted it, Derick went on a deleting spree.   You know, cuz once you delete it, it's gone forever as though it never happened.   <massive eyeroll>

That's exactly what I think and you explained it better.

Derick mentioning a tell all?  Jim Bob was right on that with a little "Happy Birthday".  Kinda like when the mafia drops by to see how things are going.  

• Love 16
49 minutes ago, Bitter Betty said:

I'm not disagreeing, but why do the other kids (who also don't seem to work or, if they do, they work for JB) have assets and the Dillards don't? Where did the other kids' money come from? It just seems to further support a disparity between the Dillards and the other kids.  Which is really strange.  But, yes, ultimately Derick and Jill's faults.

Jill and Derick got into financial difficulties paying for the medical bills from Israel's birth via C-section.  Derick also had medical bills from his jaw surgery, which didn't seem to be an emergency and he probably should have postponed that.  He was so desperate financially that he even tried to get TLC to pay for the medical bills.  He started a scheme to raise money from donations and I don't think that was ever as successful as he thought it would be.  He probably thought that each viewer of 19 Kids and Counting would send in at least $1 and he would be a millionaire.  He says now that it took him almost a year to pay off the medical bills even with the help of all of the donations he did receive.

Nevertheless, Jill and Derick kept spending money like there was no tomorrow, going back and forth from Central America to the U.S., sometimes staying in the U.S. for months at a time. 

They finally left Central America for good on May 21, 2017, and have not worked since.  Meanwhile Jill had another C-section birth.  Not only is that expensive, but she delivered a sick baby who had to stay in the NICU for two weeks. With a fresh set of even more expensive medical bills, Derick decides to spend $12,000 on tuition to take a course at his church and spend about $3,500 so Jill could fly with him when his class takes trips.  Derick didn't have the money to take that course, so he tried to get it from donations again.  But, this time he no longer had his non-profit to funnel donations through.

They have been married for three years and nine months.  During their first year of marriage, Derick worked at Walmart.  You do the math. Josh, John-David, Ben, Austin and Joseph have jobs.  Derick doesn't and hasn't had one for almost a year.

• Love 24
42 minutes ago, Bitter Betty said:

I'm not disagreeing, but why do the other kids (who also don't seem to work or, if they do, they work for JB) have assets and the Dillards don't? Where did the other kids' money come from? It just seems to further support a disparity between the Dillards and the other kids.  Which is really strange.  But, yes, ultimately Derick and Jill's faults.

Bad investments? It's so strange. It's clear Jill got paid for Peopel exclusives, at least, considering Derick blocked the person who asked, but about TLC specifically, he said, "as far as we know, we were volunteers." I'm going to...well, not take it at face value, because that would silly, but assume it means that neither he nor Jill were paid directly for their participation on the show. 

It's nuts that I went from, "I highly doubt that JB is that greedy that the kidults sign their money over to him," to "JB is fucking mastermind who managed to arrange it so not even his sons-in-law can negotiate their own contracts." Maybe it's closer to, "'Leave and cleave' is all well and good but if my daughter and her new husband are so dim and emotionally needy that they let me manage all the TLC contracts because they're just happy to volunteer their time for Jesus, who am I to argue?"

• Love 16
36 minutes ago, saylubee said:

I believe Jeremy has said his agent was a close friend in interviews.  The agent might have been the one to tell him to become a pastor when he was struggling in San Antonio iirc?  I don’t doubt the agent at least looked over the TLC documents for Jeremy & Jinger, if not negotiated something completely separate for them.  The Duggar LLC wouldn’t be able to operate in Texas without some restructuring, so it might have been easier for JB to cut Jinger loose completely.

But Jeremy did have soccer scholarships to college and got a full ride.  His parents seem like the type to have saved some chunk of change for college.  I wouldn’t be surprised if Jeremy’s once upon a time college fund became his house fund.

Would student loans pay for Cross Church or did Derick have to scrounge up $10,000 on his own?  I wonder if there was any education endowments that he had access to because of his father, although I would have thought that would have been used at OSU.

There are no student loans for the Cross Church Ministry program. Students are encouraged to crowdfund their tuition, as it gives applicants the experience to grift for missionary money later down the line. Yes, they actually say that (save the part about grifting). 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 17
6 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

There are no student loans for the Cross Church Ministry program. Students are encouraged to crowdfund their tuition, as it helps them grift for missionary money later down the line. Yes, they actually say that (save the part about grifting). 

So they teach their students how to beg for money.  Lovely.  Not like actually teach them useful skills, where they could get a paying job and then save their money to then do a yearly missionary trip.  Wouldn't it be better to raise/beg/crowdfund the money and instead of giving it to people like Derick, just give it to REAL non-profit organizations that are working to make the living conditions better for an entire community? or giving it to like Hefier.org?  I can't see how giving money to someone to pay their way to go basically show up unannounced on someone's doorstep and tell them that what they believe is wrong, does good for anyone?  Me?  Come help me put in a garden, or a well or help build houses.  

• Love 19
21 minutes ago, Mollie said:

They finally left Central America for good on May 21, 2017, and have not worked since.  Meanwhile Jill had another C-section birth.  Not only is that expensive, but she delivered a sick baby who had to stay in the NICU for two weeks. With a fresh set of even more expensive medical bills, Derick decides to spend $12,000 on tuition to take a course at his church and spend about $3,500 so Jill could fly with him when his class takes trips.  Derick didn't have the money to take that course, so he tried to get it from donations again.  But, this time he no longer had his non-profit to funnel donations through.

Is this confirmed fact or just speculation? 

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Heathen said:

Is this confirmed fact or just speculation? 

Derick said in a tweet that he had a baby in the NICU for two weeks.   I don’t know if it’s one of the ones he deleted or not.  Since Israel seemed to come home within a few days, and there was radio silence after Samuel’s birth, we’re assuming it was Sam.  

Edited by irisheyes
  • Love 13
11 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Derick is a liar and a shady grifter.  His mother is an enabler of his lazy lying behavior. 

We are all looking at Jim Bob, suspecting he is screwing the kidults out of money.  For all we know, Jim Bob could've been paying the Duggar adults fairly and Derick is a just an angry little bitch who is lashing out over some delusional nonsense.  

If you look at the Dugg Adults,

Jessa & Ben seem to be OK.  Jessa had to be hospitalized after the "Mother is bleeding" home birth and you know that toilet scrubbing Ben isn't making any substantial money at that job. Someone paid that bill.   Josh & Anna have been very taken care of throughout all of Josh's vile actions.  Jinger & Jeremy are living at a nice standard.  Joy & Austin are just starting out but everything looks OK.  JD works and seems to be comfortable.  Jana seems to be able to shop and looks like she can spend some money if she wants. I don't know too much about Joe and Kendra. 

WHY is Derick the only one having a temper tantrum about money?????????  Maybe because there is a back story with Jim Bob???  Maybe Jim Bob cut him off for a reason?  

Jim Bob is shrewd but all the Duggs seem to be financially comfortable/stable.  Why is Delusional Derick the only one who has issues with TLC, money and has mentioned a tell all book?  Maybe because he is fucking delusional and has problems no matter where he goes.   Maybe Jim Bob told him to cut the crap or he will cut the cash.   

I bet Jim Bob could write a tell all book about Derick Dillard too. 

Edit: I think i just defended Jim Bob. Please forgive me. 

I kept nodding and then forcibly stopping myself because I was agreeing with you in your defense of Jim Bob and that cannot happen.

• Love 23

Aside from Derelict's tweets, we know that it wasn't Israel in the NICU. We saw him come home with Jill in a matter of just a few days. 

There was also a post from a redditor or the like who said she witnessed Duggars in the hospital crying after Sammy's birth. Nothing could be proven then, but now we know there was a NICU stay involved, it makes the story seem valid. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 12

Thanks for the clarification. I don't pay much attention to Twitter and none at all to Derelict's, so I missed out on the NICU part. I wonder what Samuel's diagnosis was (besides terminally stupid, arrogant parents). 

• Love 14
56 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I bet Jim Bob could write a tell all book about Derick Dillard too. 

I would read the shit out of dueling tell-alls from Derick and Jim Bob. I would check the books out of the library to avoid giving them money and keep in mind that both of them are untrustworthy liars, but I'd still read those books in a heartbeat. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 21
3 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

People noted different tubes with Sammy, but I can't remember what they were for. I'm sure someone here remembers. 

The picture at home had some tubes or wires that they tried to hide behind Derick and the pictures in the hospital definitely had a few things going on.  

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, Zella said:

I would read the shit out of dueling tell-alls from Derick and Jim Bob. I would check the books out of the library to avoid giving them money and keep in mind that both of them are untrustworthy liars, but I'd still read those books in a heartbeat. 

Ooh, I would love to see, Jeremy, Derick, Ben, and Austin get together and write a book of Marrying into the Duggars: And how it sucks.  That could be fun.

• Love 17
20 minutes ago, DragonFaerie said:

Ooh, I would love to see, Jeremy, Derick, Ben, and Austin get together and write a book of Marrying into the Duggars: And how it sucks.  That could be fun.

I would read that! This makes me wish the Duggar in-laws and Jim Bob would go on Jerry Springer and have it out. It would never happen, but I bet both sides have good dirt on the others.  

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

I definitely remember the Dullards trying to hide stuff but doing a very poor job of it. 

They hid stuff after Israel was born, too. Remember the photos of them at home with a newborn Izzy, and Jill was hiding an obvious heparin lock in her hand along with IV tubing? 

• Love 8

Jessa repeatedly said she was happy with the tiny Mold House. Maybe because she's seen the bills for heating and cooling the TTH. It must cost a pretty penny to heat/cool that echo chamber.  I'm guessing Jessa's house could fit into a 3rd of first floor of the TTH.

I think Derick's Tweets are half truths per usual. He spent his post college life grifting, minus the year at Walmart. They seemed to waste no time setting up Dillard Family Ministries and grifted from the get go. During their second(ish) stint in El Salvador, Derick openly said some of the donations would go to medical costs. 

He had a rough time grifting for Mission School and kept getting shut down. So maybe toilet cleaning and part-time preaching is enough supplemental income and grifting is not, regardless of how they're paid for filming. But Derick bit the TLC hand that was feeding him and now he and Jill are supporting the family on grifting alone. 

It seems Derick may have had a entitled upbringing and is now finding adulting challenging. Welcome to the real world, Derick.

• Love 16

I think Boob absolutely has a trust ala family pot for the show money to go into. If anyone has a separate contract, it is Jeremy/Jinger. I think that is it. I don't see Ben or Derrick having the mental fortitude/ balls to ask for it

Also no doubt that the trips, houses, probably living expenses for the adult marrieds are the compensation for the show. Boob is a total narcissist and this is the EASIEST way to control everyone. 

I can't wait for things to start crumbing- the money won't last forever. I think Derick is facing huge bills for Sams birth and realizes he doesn't have actual cash to his name and is now freaking out. Should have stayed at walmart...

• Love 19
12 hours ago, lulu69 said:

I predict that as more and more of the kidults turn 18, marry and start families the amount of sibling jealousy and backbiting over money will increase dramatically.

Boob may want 200 grandkids but has he really considered how he is going to support them all? By making sure all his own kids were under educated and trained for nothing in life Boob has really screwed himself over. A $3-4 million net worth may sound like a lot but not when you have to feed 242 people 3 meals a day 365 days a year (264,990 portions!!) 

I think the Dillards are only the first of many Duggars to experience financial hardships. 

3 to 4 million really does not even sound like a lot for the approximately 35 people Jim Bob has to support now!

• Love 15

I did a little research on the way that contracts for reality shows that focus on a family/individual (herein "the stars") are typically structured. It seems that compensation in a standard contract is 10 to 15 percent of the production costs per episode. So if an episode costs $100,000 to produce the collective stars would receive $10,000 to $15,000 for that episode.

I don't remember if the episode with Israel's birth was a special one that focused solely on the Dillards or if it was part of the regular season, meaning that footage of the birth was intermixed with footage of the other Duggars doing thibgs not related to the birth. If it was a special episode, produced outside of the regular season, I could see a situation where Derick thought that most, if not all, of the compensation would go to the Dillards. This would especially be the case if the Dillards did have a separate contract with the production company/TLC (herein TLC for brevity) at the time since they would have been the featured stars of that episode, and believe that the production costs were related to only to the Dillard family. However, there would be no reason for TLC to provide additional compensation above the "standard" 10 to 15 percent. So let's say that episode cost $200,000 to produce. The Derick would expect to earn at least $20,000. Assuming that they had little to no insurance, that amount would not cover the bills associated with Israel's birth.

Since that episode was during the final 19 Kids & Counting season, perhaps they had only signed waivers allowing them to be filmed, and trusted that Jim Bob would distribute the family compensation "fairly" and give them a larger share of the money since they were the featured stars of the episode. I also think a special for the birth was included as part of the contract for that season, which would preclude the Dillards from having their own contract for that episode.

The more I think about it, I think that the Duggar Family LLC has the contract with TLC and the adult children are considered independent contractors to the family LLC. If each person over the age of 18 had their own contract with TLC, the budget for each episode would be eaten up by the compensation packages, even if the compensation was less than 10 percent for the Duggars not named Jim Bob and Michelle. If the theoretical per episode budget is $100, 000 and each bio-Duggar adult earned 10 percent per episode, the total compensation would be $100,000 (excluding Josh). TLC's budget for each episode isn't going to expand just because another Duggar turned 18. Jim Bob's accountant must have some complicated algorithm that determines each kid's take based on on-air minutes and incurred costs for housing, room & board, cars, vacations, etc.

Dave Ramsey is big on not being in business with family/friends and on boundaries with them, especially where money is concerned (yes, I know some his children and their spouses work for him). With Derick becoming a Ramsey follower, he may have been  trying to establish boundaries with Jim Bob and the Jim Bob cut Derick off out of spite, which led to Derick being kicked off the show because TLC wouldn't agree to another compensation package. Also, living in Jim Bob's houses may be rent free monetarily, but not psychologically.

Now with Sam having spent 2 weeks in the NICU and appeared to have additional medical needs after discharge, the medical bills must be astronomical. My twins spent 30 days in the NICU after they were born 13 years ago. The total costs were over $235,000. With excellent insurance, we paid $10,000 of those costs.

So, as others have pointed out, Derick's beef with TLC over compensation is most likely an issue between him and Jim Bob, not between Derick and TLC.

Edited by Triple P
  • Love 14

As far as Jeremy goes, another possibility which has not been mentioned is that he and Jinger got some help from his family with the down payment for the house.

That is very much a cultural thing for Italians, and if I am correct, Jeremy only has one sister,and I think his parents are reasonably well off.  They may have ditched the Catholic Church, but I doubt they let go of all their Italian family traditions.

Ben's family does not appear to have any spare money, and Austin's seems to be of the "leave and cleave" mindset.

Wonder if Cathy's support of her son extends to her wallet?

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

As far as Jeremy goes, another possibility which has not been mentioned is that he and Jinger got some help from his family with the down payment for the house.

That is very much a cultural thing for Italians, and if I am correct, Jeremy only has one sister,and I think his parents are reasonably well off.  They may have ditched the Catholic Church, but I doubt they let go of all their Italian family traditions.

Ben's family does not appear to have any spare money, and Austin's seems to be of the "leave and cleave" mindset.

Around these parts, anyway, it is not unusual for Italian parents to give their kids a fairly decent lump sum to serve as down payment for their first house as a wedding gift.  Same for other second and third generation immigrant types.  Owning a home is a very big deal amongst that crowd.  My Big Fat Greek Wedding kinda made a joke out of the bride's parents purchasing the house next door for a wedding gift for her and her husband; but it isn't uncommon in those circles.

The fact that Derick now admits that they faced substantial medical bills after Israel's birth makes it even more likely that he was bounced from Walmart rather than quit voluntarily, despite his assertions otherwise.  If they really had no plan for how they might pay for unexpected medical expenses other than begging; I think it might be because he didn't expect to lose his job and insurance coverage.  Derick is an accountant, his mother recently experienced a major health crisis and received intensive traditional medical care for it, Jill surely had known of women who tried to deliver at home and ended up in the hospital; there's no way they didn't have some idea of what sort of costs they'd incur if she had to deliver at the hospital.  A quick Google shows that hospital costs in Arkansas for an uncomplicated cesarean delivery would be around $20,000, presuming they were having to pay out of pocket and didn't get any discount based on income.  Since the hospital apparently didn't write off the delivery, that means that the Dullards had a reasonably high income level for the year Izzy was born and probably also for Samuel since he implies they owe for that too.  Now, of course, Derick could've purchased Cobra coverage after leaving Walmart to keep them insured for Izzy's birth, but, like Jim Bob, I think he's cheap when it comes to things that don't directly affect him and also probably believed Jilly when she told him nothing bad could happen.  It also makes me suspect that the reason her labors were both so prolonged was that they were avoiding going to the hospital because they knew they couldn't pay the bills.  Worst reason ever and its probably what cost Baby Sam two weeks in NICU.

• Love 24
14 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Worst reason ever and its probably what cost Baby Sam two weeks in NICU.

What do you think the specific reason may have been for the NICU stay? 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, 3 is enough said:

Jeremy has one sister and one brother and both of them reasonably support themselves.  

I tend to think Cathy does somewhat support her adult children financially, but that's speculation.

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 3

I wonder what Dan thinks about his dear brother Derick.  He may be just as crazy as Derick but it seems he 1) has a real job, and 2) keeps the crazy under wraps.

• Love 6
20 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

Has anyone suggested this possibility yet? The Dullards' medical bills were paid by JimBoob (so that there would be no debt), and then the Dullards repaid Boob by working for free on the show. 

He said it took a year to pay off Izzy's bill, so no idea if JB paid off the bill for them. I do not think Derick had Jill on his insurance plan. I would not be surprised if he was still on Cathy's insurance plan when he got married. Derick is whining about having to pay off Izzy and Jill's bills because TLC did pay them for being on the show. If JB offered to pay off the bills, but the two of them would not get any money or compensation to appear on the new show, then why would he be complaining about not getting any money or help with the bills.

On 3/9/2018 at 3:06 PM, DkNNy79 said:

He must be jealous of Jeremy.  Jeremy went up against JB and made sure that he and Jinger got what was due to them.  Unfortunately, Derick was too spineless to do that himself.

the 50 page questionnaire may have been more of a sign your rights away to TLC money and Derick didn't read it just signed it ;) I'm sure Jeremy's was read & signed by him & a lawyer lol.

• Love 4

40 MINUTES AGO, OPIETAYLOR SAID:

Has anyone suggested this possibility yet? The Dullards' medical bills were paid by JimBoob (so that there would be no debt), and then the Dullards repaid Boob by working for free on the show. 

18 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

He said it took a year to pay off Izzy's bill, so no idea if JB paid off the bill for them. I do not think Derick had Jill on his insurance plan. I would not be surprised if he was still on Cathy's insurance plan when he got married. Derick is whining about having to pay off Izzy and Jill's bills because TLC did pay them for being on the show. If JB offered to pay off the bills, but the two of them would not get any money or compensation to appear on the new show, then why would he be complaining about not getting any money or help with the bills.

I agree my simplistic idea doesn't exactly fit what Derek is saying these days, but it could work if the Dullards appeared on the show for a year or a "season" with no $$ compensation as a way to "pay Boob back" for the medical bills.  

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, bigskygirl said:

Because he's not smart enough to understand that instead of working for "free" he was repaying a debt.  

• Love 13
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

It also makes me suspect that the reason her labors were both so prolonged was that they were avoiding going to the hospital because they knew they couldn't pay the bills.  Worst reason ever and its probably what cost Baby Sam two weeks in NICU.

I agree. And, given this financial meltdown Derick seems to be having, I don't see how they could possibly still be on board with "having as many children as God will give you" train given the very real possibility that each birth could cost into the 5 figures (and probably more than their yearly salary). Can you imagine having an annual, or every two years, event that costs more than you make in one year? Even SOTDRT graduates should be able to figure out that's not sustainable. 

• Love 14
6 minutes ago, Bitter Betty said:

I agree. And, given this financial meltdown Derick seems to be having, I don't see how they could possibly still be on board with "having as many children as God will give you" train given the very real possibility that each birth could cost into the 5 figures (and probably more than their yearly salary). Can you imagine having an annual, or every two years, event that costs more than you make in one year? Even SOTDRT graduates should be able to figure out that's not sustainable. 

I think Jill is the one who is on the having as many children as God will give you board more than Derelict is. He does not seem to understand unprotected sex can lead to an unplanned pregnancy. If he does not want more children, he can go in and take care of the situation, but he is too scared or afraid JB and Jill would not be happy if he decided to get snip, snip. He is probably taking a hard long look at Smuggar, and he is nervous he is going to end up in the same situation. He is already on the road to the same bad situation Smuggar is in with Anna and her baby fever. He is one angry man who needs some major help.

2 hours ago, Triple P said:

I did a little research on the way that contracts for reality shows that focus on a family/individual (herein "the stars") are typically structured. It seems that compensation in a standard contract is 10 to 15 percent of the production costs per episode. So if an episode costs $100,000 to produce the collective stars would receive $10,000 to $15,000 for that episode.

I don't remember if the episode with Israel's birth was a special one that focused solely on the Dillards or if it was part of the regular season, meaning that footage of the birth was intermixed with footage of the other Duggars doing thibgs not related to the birth. If it was a special episode, produced outside of the regular season, I could see a situation where Derick thought that most, if not all, of the compensation would go to the Dillards. This would especially be the case if the Dillards did have a separate contract with the production company/TLC (herein TLC for brevity) at the time since they would have been the featured stars of that episode, and believe that the production costs were related to only to the Dillard family. However, there would be no reason for TLC to provide additional compensation above the "standard" 10 to 15 percent. So let's say that episode cost $200,000 to produce. The Derick would expect to earn at least $20,000. Assuming that they had little to no insurance, that amount would not cover the bills associated with Israel's birth.

Since that episode was during the final 19 Kids & Counting season, perhaps they had only signed waivers allowing them to be filmed, and trusted that Jim Bob would distribute the family compensation "fairly" and give them a larger share of the money since they were the featured stars of the episode. I also think a special for the birth was included as part of the contract for that season, which would preclude the Dillards from having their own contract for that episode.

The more I think about it, I think that the Duggar Family LLC has the contract with TLC and the adult children are considered independent contractors to the family LLC. If each person over the age of 18 had their own contract with TLC, the budget for each episode would be eaten up by the compensation packages, even if the compensation was less than 10 percent for the Duggars not named Jim Bob and Michelle. If the theoretical per episode budget is $100, 000 and each bio-Duggar adult earned 10 percent per episode, the total compensation would be $100,000 (excluding Josh). TLC's budget for each episode isn't going to expand just because another Duggar turned 18. Jim Bob's accountant must have some complicated algorithm that determines each kid's take based on on-air minutes and incurred costs for housing, room & board, cars, vacations, etc.

Dave Ramsey is big on not being in business with family/friends and on boundaries with them, especially where money is concerned (yes, I know some his children and their spouses work for him). With Derick becoming a Ramsey follower, he may have been  trying to establish boundaries with Jim Bob and the Jim Bob cut Derick off out of spite, which led to Derick being kicked off the show because TLC wouldn't agree to another compensation package. Also, living in Jim Bob's houses may be rent free monetarily, but not psychologically.

Now with Sam having spent 2 weeks in the NICU and appeared to have additional medical needs after discharge, the medical bills must be astronomical. My twins spent 30 days in the NICU after they were born 13 years ago. The total costs were over $235,000. With excellent insurance, we paid $10,000 of those costs.

So, as others have pointed out, Derick's beef with TLC over compensation is most likely an issue between him and Jim Bob, not between Derick and TLC.

This makes sense. 

Mix that with his delusional thinking and tweeting half truths...

Wonder if they had health insurance for Samuel?  Did they learn? 

• Love 2

If they really aren't getting any money from TLC, would they not qualify for Medicaid?  I know it's against their beliefs and all but if free medical care is available to them and they have already dealt with medical bills why not take it?

Nevermind... it's the Duggars/Dillards.  Common sense does not apply here.

• Love 2

Derelict hasn't had a full-time job (or any job that we know of) since they returned to the States back in May. I wonder if they qualified for Medicaid? I'd guess not,since he was able to pay a $12k tuition bill. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Marigold said:

Thought of the Day!

Derick is having a temper tantrum because being an adult is hard.  He thought he was gonna bag a Duggar girl and ride the money train while pursuing his "missionary" delusional dreams. When Jim Bob didn't give him all the cash he thought he deserved, he got mad and started throwing mud at anyone and everyone.  Because of his delusional thought process, he didn't realize that the internet is forever and people are smart.  He actually got caught up in his tweeting and forgot Jill's "loss of income" lawsuit. 

Derick is a spoiled rotten man baby. Plus, he has some kind of mental health issue.  And he is a stick insect. 

He thought he was going to bag a Duggar girl, ride the money train while pursuing his "missionary" dreams, AND have the entire world collapsing in admiration over what an awesome Jesusy role model he is. I think he's more bewildered about the lack of back-pats than anything else. Mommy conditioned him to expect a continuous stream of approbation for being such a morally superior Jesus soldier.  He is, therefore, convinced beyond all certainty that he's morally superior, but doesn't have any real idea why. He just parrots fundie propaganda and then, when asked to unpack a thought or clarify anything, he can't. He has no real understanding of his own beliefs or why he even has them (see: wildly fluctuating and opposing viewpoints on everything from murder to using children to further agendas to blatant lying and deception and on and on and on.) He gets angry and lashes out at all of the tiresome idiots who don't seem to be able to understand the basic premise that he's better than everybody else, and so his neverending stream of judgments do not apply to him. That's powerful conditioning to overcome for someone who isn't at all bright. 

Edited by Aja
  • Love 22
18 hours ago, beckie said:

I don't believe for two seconds that any of this family (or anybody else)would be doing it unless they were being paid handsomely for it. And not just being paid "in kind" either. It makes no sense at all.

I guess you'd be surprised at the number of people willing to do a lot just to be on TV.  Many have appeared who got nothing or a gift basket or a side of beef. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Absolom said:

I guess you'd be surprised at the number of people willing to do a lot just to be on TV.  Many have appeared who got nothing or a gift basket or a side of beef. 

I wouldn't. I prefer being on the other side of a camera. And I know a lot of people who think that, too.

• Love 5