Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

On 1/11/2018 at 10:21 AM, lulu69 said:

IMHO that sweater and shirt combo is not doing Jill any favors. Between the length of the sweater ending at the widest part of her hips and the shirt ballooning over her stomach Jill looks dumpier than usual. I'm not criticizing Jill's present body but i do believe in making the most of what you've been given. Clinton & Stacey would be appalled. I know, baby steps...lol

I so agree. Jill is not overweight, but she is a pear shape. She needs either a longer top or a boot-cut pant; the combination of skinny jeans and waist-length top are not doing her any favors. And the blouse is weirdly matronly (especially paired with that shapeless cardigan) and a shade of pink that does nothing for her. I wish Jinger, who always looks cute and polished, would give her some style tips. 

• Love 10
7 hours ago, awaken said:

I wonder who will inherit the TTH when Ma and Pa pass on?  

I think they can just divide the house up among all the kids. I watched them build it, and it is mostly held together duct tape and bobby pins. It wouldn't be too hard for each kid to just yank off a small section and cart it over to their parcel where it could be taped back together. 

If I was a Duggarling I would be calling dibs on my parcel early, though. I wouldn't want to end up stuck with the lot overlooking the dump.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, floridamom said:

DDD, "Triple D"

Jim Bob said he bought the 20 acres where their house is built so each married child could have one acre and put their own houses on it. I guess he's like to construct his own empire....and have his own zip code.

And never let the kids out of his sight. 

For my money, he can have his own zip code if he wants. Just as long as he stays in it and doesn't make any appearances elsewhere, live or electronic. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 17
2 hours ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Actually, landfills are held to very stringent standards from the relatives of mine who have worked in this industry. They hire engineers to specifically create and oversee their production to make sure garbage does not leach into the soil or nearby water sources. The main issue with landfills is smell due to methane production from products degrading over time, but good landfills mitigate this issue as best they can. 

Personally, having grown up in an area with a paper factory, sewage treatment plant, and landfill in a very close proximity- the landfill was barely noticeable in comparison to the other two. 

Totally agree, there are strict standards. This, however, is Arkansas. Arkansas!  

• Love 8

In my town they leveled and built a mall upon a landfill in the early 1980s. There are upper middle-class houses there that predate the mall...and situated MUCH closer than the TTH is to the dump. So I guess the smell isn’t all that bad if you are downwind or the smells are mitigated. 

Honestly it must not smell that bad as there are other houses nearby. NICE houses. The pool house being one of them. 

Edited by Lady Edith
Grammar is my friend

It depends on the laws of the area.  There is a subdivision a few miles out of town that was built on top of an old dump.  The first few people that moved there found that things from the dump were working their way up through the soil and people kept finding bits of broken glass in their yards after heavy rains or thaws after a hard freeze.

Luckily for them, the subdivision was for manufactured houses and to avoid a long lawsuit, the company found a new location and paid to have all the homes moved to the new site.

The old site was fenced off while the developers prepared to battle the previous owners of the site in court over who has to fix the problem.  Both entities have since gone out of business and now no one knows what to do with the area, so everyone pretends it doesn't exist.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

I so agree. Jill is not overweight, but she is a pear shape. She needs either a longer top or a boot-cut pant; the combination of skinny jeans and waist-length top are not doing her any favors. And the blouse is weirdly matronly (especially paired with that shapeless cardigan) and a shade of pink that does nothing for her. I wish Jinger, who always looks cute and polished, would give her some style tips. 

True, but Jill presumably went to a store and bought these out of her very own taste for the first time in her life; so, baby steps.

• Love 10
5 hours ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Actually, landfills are held to very stringent standards from the relatives of mine who have worked in this industry. They hire engineers to specifically create and oversee their production to make sure garbage does not leach into the soil or nearby water sources. The main issue with landfills is smell due to methane production from products degrading over time, but good landfills mitigate this issue as best they can. 

Personally, having grown up in an area with a paper factory, sewage treatment plant, and landfill in a very close proximity- the landfill was barely noticeable in comparison to the other two. 

Don’t most landfills end up as golf courses?

41 minutes ago, queenanne said:

True, but Jill presumably went to a store and bought these out of her very own taste for the first time in her life; so, baby steps.

I’m totally pleased to see Jill daring to wear pants.  Since she’s had to settle for Goodwill and hand me downs and shoes worn by someone else and share with her siblings and having all these modesty rules must have been very daunting for her to finally get to choose something of her very own. 

Sadly,  nobody told her that modest clothes don’t have to be frumpy at all.  I was thrilled when Dreck bought her a pair of Teva sandals.  They’re not the most fashionable things on earth, but they do provide excellent support and you can get them wet and not ruin them. 

She might think she’s somewhat fashionable, compared to the Fundy Misery Fashion that most of her friends have to wear.  Being a Tee Vee STAH has its advantages, such as being able to have newer and better clothes than the families who aren’t.  I’m certain that fashion magazines are verboten in most Fundy homesso the kids don’t know what they’re missing.

Jilly will find some semblance of fashion sense soon enough. I think the boho look really suits her.

• Love 10
8 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

I feel like Jinger has worn that exact same outfit though.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, Lady Edith said:

The TTH is near the town landfill. About a mile or so, if I remember correctly.  The McMansion was on the other side of town, closer to Wal Mart’s offices.  

I  thought the TTH was across from the dump.

• Love 1
On 1/14/2018 at 11:27 AM, BitterApple said:

Definitely. I would've believed Jessa if she took loving care of her small home the way Chad and Erin Paine do with their cottage, but given the state of the Mold House, that comment was pure lip service. She wanted the McMansion, but Daddy's favorite got it instead. 

This totally makes me wonder if part of Jessa's attitude now that being a fundy is awesome as she pumps out baby after baby, and clearly relishing being a star of the show, is an attempt to become the new favorite daughter. Jill certainly has become a washout, so maybe Jessa can get what she wants by being the new "face" of the duggar brand, now that JB has been disgraced. I'm willing to bet that as the "pretty one," Jessa has always wondered why Jill was the pet over her. 

• Love 6
8 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

This totally makes me wonder if part of Jessa's attitude now that being a fundy is awesome as she pumps out baby after baby, and clearly relishing being a star of the show, is an attempt to become the new favorite daughter. Jill certainly has become a washout, so maybe Jessa can get what she wants by being the new "face" of the duggar brand, now that JB has been disgraced. I'm willing to bet that as the "pretty one," Jessa has always wondered why Jill was the pet over her. 

I think that Jessa (and the others) know why Jill is the favorite.

i think that a lot of JB's controlling ways are just part of his personality, and he doesn't make every decision based on "how can I keep my kids under my thumb," but i think this is the exception. I think that he clearly and overtly rewards obedience. Obedient children get McMansions, disobedient children go to Jesus Jail. Obedient children get airplanes, disobedient children get sent to ALERT. 

• Love 12
2 hours ago, PoshSprinkles said:

Depends. Most of the landfills my relatives oversaw were close to highways or other undesirable areas because of the the "stink" reputation so they wouldn't be the best candidates. You also run into the issue of leveling. Depending on the layers of the landfill, you may not be able to grade things appropriately for a golf course without disturbing the materials they put down to keep the garbage from seeping out. 

Truth be told, the landfill business can be quite lucrative. With as business-savvy as the Duggars portray themselves to be, they could make a tidy sum by owning and operating landfills around the state. It's very steady work. 

Do we REALLY want Duggars in charge of landfills?  I’ve done some permitting work, and it can get pretty complicated fast, and I can easily see the Duggars  using their Jethro Bodine level edyumakayshuns to try and fight with people who have real science and engineering degrees.  SOTDRT isn’t enough schooling.  

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Sew Sumi said:

#irony

Oh, wow. He didn’t twat out a Bible verse! If someone who I knew not to be a hypocrite or a hater of people not like them, I’d never complain about a bible verse tweet from them.  Dreck has demonstrated that he’s an asshat, so why do I want to be disappointed when he trips over his dick again after actually acting enlightened the day before. New tweet tomorrow.

32D8BAB2-9090-4E83-B132-616E1A25A96F.jpeg

• Love 15

All's quiet on the Tweeting front? Not even a shout out for the honorable MLK JR?

Instagram....

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd-4L87nRuA/?hl=en&taken-by=derickdillard

In the comments, a poster starts berating Derrick about his Jazz comments and another poster replies about how it's offensive to take a post about MLK and turn it around and rant, etc.  I'm starting to think, "Hey I agree with you, lay off on MLK Day," then the poster adds--"IN OTHER WORDS, TAKE YOUR LIBERAL BEHIND SOMEWHERE ELSE!!!!!"  ooopsie......

On a positive note, Izzy and Sam are total cuties and Derelict is looking much healthier. 

On a random, wtf? note, what the hell did they serve at JD's birthday "party"? I see ranch dressing, chocolate syrup, hot sauce and something unidentifiable in a bowl. They could have at least ordered pizza and wings for the poor guy. 

• Love 1
3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Major per peeve of mine. Chairs should be backed-up to the counter so no chance of tipping. Izzy is on a pretty small chair, but still I can picture it tipping.

Izzy is so big, he’s a counterweight, and the chair will not win. #accidentwaitingtohappen

• Love 6

Stand back while I nitpick!

As I recall, rice milk is one of the more expensive non-dairy milks. 

Why is there rice milk? Why are there dates? Dates are used as a sugar substitute, and recipes that are vegan and without any refined sugar can go hand in hand, but sugar in of itself is not animal based. 

I suspect she picked the first vegan banana bread recipes she saw and went with it.

Which bring me to my next point. Feeding a family of four is expensive! If I find a recipe that requires a lot of ingredients that are not already in my pantry, I move on to the next recipe. They must not be that hard up for money if they are making banana bread, of all things, with specialty ingredients (banana bread easily lends itself to being veganized).

Why vegan? Does Sammy have a dairy sensitivity?

My children often help me in the kitchen. I usually veganize recipes so I don't have to worry about if they sample the batter. But, I don't let them anywhere near food that I am making for someone else. I don't have a problem with Israel's standing on the chair. I do have a problem if he "helped" and it was served to others.

• Love 5

It looks like it was an event for some of the international students. Maybe one of them is vegan and Jill was trying to be inclusive. I haven't made banana bread in a really long time, but my recipe involved eggs and shortening. A vegan spin would be interesting. 

• Love 2

Derp has food allergies.  A vegan diet would help, but people on it can gravitate to carbs.  I get that vegan recipes are great for people who have allergies to eggs and dairy.  That may be why she’s doing vegan recipes.  I don’t see them giving up meat and they aren’t really into veg to begin with. People with dairy allergies can also have gluten allergies.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Marshmallow Mollie said:

Why is there rice milk? Why are there dates? Dates are used as a sugar substitute, and recipes that are vegan and without any refined sugar can go hand in hand, but sugar in of itself is not animal based. 

Why vegan? Does Sammy have a dairy sensitivity?

Maybe someone has a soy sensitivity, or they happen to like rice milk?

And a lot of commercial brands of sugar are, at least in the U.S., filtered through animal bones. That's one reason many vegans avoid refined sugar. The definition of veganism isn't about food sensitivities or what's healthy for humans, contrary to what many people seem to believe and what's often portrayed in the media--it's first and foremost about abstaining from harming nonhuman animals since they have an interest in not being harmed and such harm is unnecessary and avoidable. 

That said, the above is quite obviously the last reason the Dillards or anyone in the Duggar family would go vegan. So who knows what was up with the banana bread?

• Love 6

The Dillards are the type that would eat vegan banana bread after having a stack of ribs and macaroni and cheese.  Jill may have wanted to try out a new recipe recommended to her or earn brownie points from the public for trying something new.    

@graefin I had no idea they used bones as filters.  Do you feel comfortable eating at non-vegetarian/vegan restaurants?  It's so weird that animal products are added to things you never would think to check.

• Love 7

I'm kind of wondering if there isn't more to Sam that they tell us (nothing!). If he did have a feeding tube at birth or after, maybe he has some kind of stomach/ digestive issue and has to be dairy free. Maybe that's why the rice milk? 

• Love 2

If Sam had to be dairy-free or has digestive issues would Jill then have to avoid dairy even in baked goods?  Wouldn't he still be exclusively breastfeeding or just beginning to eat solids?  I hope if Sam does have digestive issues that they take greater care monitoring his diet than the Duggars did with Josie.  I remember them saying she had a dairy allergy and then she was seen with eating ice cream or yogurt. 

Edited by birkenstock
2 hours ago, birkenstock said:

If Sam had to be dairy-free or has digestive issues would Jill then have to avoid dairy even in baked goods?  Wouldn't he still be exclusively breastfeeding or just beginning to eat solids?  I hope if Sam does have digestive issues that they take greater care monitoring his diet than the Duggars did with Josie.  I remember them saying she had a dairy allergy and then she was seen with eating ice cream or yogurt. 

If Sam is BF Jill would need to avoid dairy, including baked goods if they contain dairy. I don't know how old he is, but I would imagine he would be eating some solid food by now. And you are right, I hope they take it seriously! 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, birkenstock said:

The Dillards are the type that would eat vegan banana bread after having a stack of ribs and macaroni and cheese.  Jill may have wanted to try out a new recipe recommended to her or earn brownie points from the public for trying something new.    

@graefin I had no idea they used bones as filters.  Do you feel comfortable eating at non-vegetarian/vegan restaurants?  It's so weird that animal products are added to things you never would think to check.

1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

Or after running over a cat.

Or both!

Among the things that bugged the crap out of me with that Izzy-on-a-chair photo is the amount of crap piled all over their kitchen counters. We saw a similar thing with Jessa. Maybe this is just because I am a serious cook but countertops are not for piling random crap on! You have cabinets--use them! And it must be said, counters are also not for sitting kid butts on or for kids to walk on. Looking at you, Boob and MEchelle.

• Love 5
5 hours ago, graefin said:

And a lot of commercial brands of sugar are, at least in the U.S., filtered through animal bones. That's one reason many vegans avoid refined sugar. The definition of veganism isn't about food sensitivities or what's healthy for humans, contrary to what many people seem to believe and what's often portrayed in the media--it's first and foremost about abstaining from harming nonhuman animals since they have an interest in not being harmed and such harm is unnecessary and avoidable. 

That said, the above is quite obviously the last reason the Dillards or anyone in the Duggar family would go vegan. So who knows what was up with the banana bread?

Ew...re refined sugar. I had no idea, thanks. I do understand what vegan is supposed to mean, but I think many may cook a vegan dish as a side dish or dessert as a means of avoiding  their food allergen. 

It’s a merciful diet, and an admirable and sustainable choice.  I must avoid soy and many dairy alternatives contain too much sugar, as I’m trying not to feed my cancer.  Love how versatile unsweetened almond milk is for smoothies.  I would imagine most folks who are willing to eat even one vegan or vegetarian meal a week are becoming more open to enjoying more of them! They can be delicious!

• Love 1