Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Imagine Triple D forcing himself to look away from the enticing young cheerleaders while he was Pistol Pete. It must have been soooo hard for him. I'm sure he still has nightmares.

I'm certain Pistol Pete never danced, either!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, EarlGreyTea said:

Is that for real?! God, with all the things these people have missed out on, music is probably one of the biggest ones. They have no idea about sweating it to the oldies, or disco, or rock, or dance music. They have no idea about feeling like a particular song was written just for you and your partner's love, or being carried through a hard workout by Beyonce songs. I know they know plenty of hymns. Hymns are great and many of them speak eloquently of salvation and God's grace. But damn, sometimes secular and personal issues are just as relevant and pressing. It's true most of today's popular music is centered on Nike issues, but there's so much good stuff out there.

Jill has no idea what she's missing. I hope Derick introduces the kids to music, but what am I saying? That bigot probably has terrible taste in music.

WORD. That was so, so well written. 

• Love 2
43 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

He probably capered however, and was exposed to secular music also.  (Granted, it may only have been played by the marching band, but still, a beat is a beat.)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Arwen Evenstar said:

I totally agree with you on all scores re music. Can't imagine how joyless Growing Up Duggar would have been for those of us who love rock, punk, metal, jazz, soul, R&B, blues, etc. 

But seriously, if you'd ever seen footage of Derick's interpretive dance, it was something that can never be unseen. It confirmed just how awkward you thought their sex life must be. Izzy does not need dance lessons from Derick, no how, no way.

This SO MUCH.  Music keeps me alive (and makes life worth living) and I can't imagine life without it.  It would be so  barren.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, cereality said:

I'm not defending Jerick bc I can't stand them -- but coming from a family where many members are of an orthodox, old school faith -- annoyingly I know people like Jerick whose #1 concern in raising their kid is about morality and faith starting when the kid turns about 18 months. So they lecture about lying. They'll be out in public reciting scripture to a kid -- who has no idea what is going on and just thought it would be funny to say no repeatedly or saying "I love you" to "manipulate" you into an extra cookie or whatever. They are SO fearful of their child turning out non-religious that they view EVERYTHING their kid does as a sign that the kid is not going to be faithful and then punishing/lecturing etc. They're so fearful they lose all rationality and can't recognize that a 2 yr old doesn't even understand that he's defying you -- he's not 16 . . . . So I view Jerick the same way. I don't get it or agree. My view is if you're strong enough in your faith and raise your kid in that faith, then your kid will follow it bc they will see the virtues of that faith. If you need to beat them over the head with the faith -- guess what -- they don't believe, they aren't strong in the faith, and they're only following so as not to get screamed at or disowned by you --and that's how I view Jerick. But then that's how JB raised his family -- with fear. There are a million rules bc he doesn't trust that his kids will believe in the faith enough not to hop into bed with the next guy/gal they see -- thus chaperones and no private conversations etc. None of these morons is really faithful. It's just perpetuated based on the fear of what'll happen in the family if they were bold enough to say -- I don't believe in x part or y part of what we believe so I won't abide by those things.

I can't tell you how much I agree with this. My parents took us to church every Sunday, and still do when we're home. my parents are both great stewards of the church, through volunteering in various ministries and financial support. However, we have always functioned like a normal family. We were allowed to participate in normal activities, listen to normal music, and God isn't brought up in every conversation. Of course, my parents are fairly conservative and have rules based on their religious beliefs, like our bf's still have to sleep in a different room on family trips since we're not married and we're all late 20's now. In a way, I feel like faith wasn't a huge focus in our house, but now I look back and see that it was. My parents lived out their faith and set the example they wanted us to see, but didn't constantly yell at us and shove it down our throats. 

• Love 10
1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

I have a feeling the cheerleaders had no interest in Pistol Pete when he was out of costume.  I bet he was a virgin on his wedding night.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, ariel said:

I have a feeling the cheerleaders had no interest in Pistol Pete when he was out of costume.  I bet he was a virgin on his wedding night.

Yes I'm sure he absolutely was. Nothing wrong with that (if that's important to a person), but something tells me it wasn't really a "choice" for Derrick. Despite growing up "normal" he seems so self righteous he would have a hard time socializing etc. 

• Love 3
12 hours ago, cereality said:

I'm not defending Jerick bc I can't stand them -- but coming from a family where many members are of an orthodox, old school faith -- annoyingly I know people like Jerick whose #1 concern in raising their kid is about morality and faith starting when the kid turns about 18 months. So they lecture about lying. They'll be out in public reciting scripture to a kid -- who has no idea what is going on and just thought it would be funny to say no repeatedly or saying "I love you" to "manipulate" you into an extra cookie or whatever. They are SO fearful of their child turning out non-religious that they view EVERYTHING their kid does as a sign that the kid is not going to be faithful and then punishing/lecturing etc. They're so fearful they lose all rationality and can't recognize that a 2 yr old doesn't even understand that he's defying you -- he's not 16 . . . . So I view Jerick the same way. I don't get it or agree. My view is if you're strong enough in your faith and raise your kid in that faith, then your kid will follow it bc they will see the virtues of that faith. If you need to beat them over the head with the faith -- guess what -- they don't believe, they aren't strong in the faith, and they're only following so as not to get screamed at or disowned by you --and that's how I view Jerick. But then that's how JB raised his family -- with fear. There are a million rules bc he doesn't trust that his kids will believe in the faith enough not to hop into bed with the next guy/gal they see -- thus chaperones and no private conversations etc. None of these morons is really faithful. It's just perpetuated based on the fear of what'll happen in the family if they were bold enough to say -- I don't believe in x part or y part of what we believe so I won't abide by those things.

How true this is. I can't imagine living a life where you are afraid of everything even the smallest thing. Aren't you supposed to raise your children to be confident so that they can cope in the real world?  Was it JB's plan from the beginning to raise a bunch of uneducated, clingy, lazy children so that they would purposely depend on him for the rest of their lives? What a waste of human potential.

• Love 16

@Churchhoney I appreciate your view point, it's helpful. While I think the Duggars may have brought out the worst in Derrick I don't think people have personality transplants in their mid-20s. Had Derrick not had these self righteous tendencies he probably wouldn't have been attracted to the Duggar family in the first place. I do think he might be trying to figure out where he "fits".....a crisis of identity as it were. 

• Love 7

"@CHURCHHONEY I appreciate your view point, it's helpful. While I think the Duggars may have brought out the worst in Derrick I don't think people have personality transplants in their mid-20s. Had Derrick not had these self righteous tendencies he probably wouldn't have been attracted to the Duggar family in the first place. I do think he might be trying to figure out where he "fits".....a crisis of identity as it were. "

Yeah, I agree. You won't start showing traits of which you don't already have the seeds. (although most of us probably do have the seeds of an amazing number of traits, I expect.) .... But I also think you can change later in life in pretty extreme ways when a situation does, as you say, bring out the worst in you, as this one is doing to Derick.  i.e., you can start strongly exhibiting something that seemed to be quite a minor, hardly noticeable, trait before. 

I also completely agree that Derick is a person in an identity crisis. And I think it's worse than that because I believe  -- I expect most of us do -- that he's probably an insecure and a follower-type person who has married into a very messed up and manipulative family. That's going to dial your identity crisis up to 10, I expect. And I would guess that you'd have to be among the world's strongest people to emerge from it in any kind of healthy shape. And, unfortunately, I don't think Derick is all that strong. So ... unhappy ending, most likely, I would guess. 

Unfortunately, it often seems that we're more drawn to situations that exacerbate our worst potentials rather than nourishing our best ones. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6

I think we may be ignoring the physical pain - whatever the reason for that (apparently botched) jaw surgery, it is possible that there is still significant recurring or even chronic physical pain, and almost definitely there is the mental factor (I did the thing medical advice told me to do, why didn't it work?).  Pain is an attention whore (I base this on a herniated disk I had thirty years ago - early care and physical therapy took care of that and I haven't had a twinge in at least fifteen years, but while the pain was resident in my body it pretty much owned my soul).

• Love 15

I agree that physical pain is also playing into this shit-storm of a life he's found himself in.  He looks stoned in half the pictures posted, making me wonder about opioid usage.   Not accusing, just observing. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, kassygreene said:

I think we may be ignoring the physical pain - whatever the reason for that (apparently botched) jaw surgery, it is possible that there is still significant recurring or even chronic physical pain, and almost definitely there is the mental factor (I did the thing medical advice told me to do, why didn't it work?).  Pain is an attention whore (I base this on a herniated disk I had thirty years ago - early care and physical therapy took care of that and I haven't had a twinge in at least fifteen years, but while the pain was resident in my body it pretty much owned my soul).

Absolutely.  I've been battling peroneal tendonitis for almost two years now, and I'm only mid 40s.  The cheerful churchgoing 20something nurse practitioner formerly on her college swim team is all kinds of chirpy 'it's so important to keep a cheerful frame of mind!'  Me:  'Bite me, infant.  Wait until it happens to you!'

• Love 19
4 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

How do we know that he didn't develop a lot of this attitude since his idiot decision to glue himself to Duggarville? In old pictures with his dad, in various pictures from Nepal -- he looks quite relaxed and happy and like a pretty ordinary person who's capable of enjoying at least some happy social interaction. And, really, would a deeply self-righteous Christian ever enthusiastically sign up to be Pistol Pete? (and reminisce lovingly about those days for years to come?) doubt it. Plus, despite Cathy's very possibly newfound (post-cancer) over-Christianing, evidence from the past suggests to me that his father, mother and brother aren't the rigid sort. Even in the early days of the marriage, there were pictures of Derick and Jill with some of his college friends.

He is a bit timid and a follower type, though, clearly. So -- given the contrasts I think I notice between his past and his present -- I wonder whether he's become a self-righteousness purveyor mostly because he's trying really hard to fit into the new super-self-righteous milieu he's become a part of. Since his marriage, a lot of painful things have happened to him -- finding out about the molestation, Jill's difficult birthing, numerous (apparently) medical issues for him, the total destruction of his missionary dreams (twice, really). Maybe he's a devastated and not very secure person trying hard to live up to what he's now been presented with as the only true "Christian" way, partly based on the fear that his recent misfortunes stem from his not having been super-Christian enough in the past. 

I think that there's likely a much more complicated and multilayered story going on in each of the Duggar marriages and with each of the marryers-in than the ones we're always pointing to. With the possible exception of Austin now -- too soon and information-light to tell -- my bet is that every one of the Duggar adjacents has gotten a series of large shocks as they've gradually uncovered the true nature of Duggarworld. Having come out of a very messed up family myself -- and the Dugg 'rents are not mainly "people of a very strong but kinda weird faith"; they're really a hideous, abusive psychological disaster machine -- I know for a fact that nobody nobody nobody except people in similar situations can ever get their minds around what a psychologically sick family is really like until it's shoved in their faces. And when they do see it, they don't know what to make of it. .... My guess is that Derick-the-Duggar is a different and more damaged creature than he was when he was just Derick Dillard. 

Lengthening my bumper sticker -- Marrying a Duggar -- Always a Terrible Idea (even if it doesn't seem to be at first)      And You Probably Can't Ever Get Out of It! 

Put that way, I realize that without religion, Derick would be a Nice Guy(TM) who complains about being friendzoned and spends time in PUA forums learning about how to be an "alpha" by negging and other tactics. 

Derick really is follower who wants to be leader but doesn't have the skill or the charm for the role. 

• Love 24
1 hour ago, lascuba said:

Put that way, I realize that without religion, Derick would be a Nice Guy(TM) who complains about being friendzoned and spends time in PUA forums learning about how to be an "alpha" by negging and other tactics. 

As Jilly Muffin would say, "Totally." 

Sad thing is, he'd be better off than he is now.   ;  )

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Okay, Meeechelle..... I've got something "better" for you and your disgusting husband to do. Crawl in a hole and pull it in after you, as my elderly relatives used to say. 

Nobody'd miss you. Really. 

Yeah, there are way more Jesusy things to do with one's time than dancing. Normalizing child sex abuse, for example.

• Love 22
8 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

How do we know that he didn't develop a lot of this attitude since his idiot decision to glue himself to Duggarville? In old pictures with his dad, in various pictures from Nepal -- he looks quite relaxed and happy and like a pretty ordinary person who's capable of enjoying at least some happy social interaction. And, really, would a deeply self-righteous Christian ever enthusiastically sign up to be Pistol Pete? (and reminisce lovingly about those days for years to come?) doubt it. Plus, despite Cathy's very possibly newfound (post-cancer) over-Christianing, evidence from the past suggests to me that his father, mother and brother aren't the rigid sort. Even in the early days of the marriage, there were pictures of Derick and Jill with some of his college friends.

He is a bit timid and a follower type, though, clearly. So -- given the contrasts I think I notice between his past and his present -- I wonder whether he's become a self-righteousness purveyor mostly because he's trying really hard to fit into the new super-self-righteous milieu he's become a part of. Since his marriage, a lot of painful things have happened to him -- finding out about the molestation, Jill's difficult birthing, numerous (apparently) medical issues for him, the total destruction of his missionary dreams (twice, really). Maybe he's a devastated and not very secure person trying hard to live up to what he's now been presented with as the only true "Christian" way, partly based on the fear that his recent misfortunes stem from his not having been super-Christian enough in the past. 

I think that there's likely a much more complicated and multilayered story going on in each of the Duggar marriages and with each of the marryers-in than the ones we're always pointing to. With the possible exception of Austin now -- too soon and information-light to tell -- my bet is that every one of the Duggar adjacents has gotten a series of large shocks as they've gradually uncovered the true nature of Duggarworld. Having come out of a very messed up family myself -- and the Dugg 'rents are not mainly "people of a very strong but kinda weird faith"; they're really a hideous, abusive psychological disaster machine -- I know for a fact that nobody nobody nobody except people in similar situations can ever get their minds around what a psychologically sick family is really like until it's shoved in their faces. And when they do see it, they don't know what to make of it. .... My guess is that Derick-the-Duggar is a different and more damaged creature than he was when he was just Derick Dillard. 

Lengthening my bumper sticker -- Marrying a Duggar -- Always a Terrible Idea (even if it doesn't seem to be at first)      And You Probably Can't Ever Get Out of It! 

And to add to the bolded, I'll bet some of these shocks are specific to the Duggars, not just all fundies. For example, I'm not sure that the Bates adjacents have experienced the same shock, not even Whitney, who wasn't brought up Gothard.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Aja said:

Yeah, there are way more Jesusy things to do with one's time than dancing. Normalizing child sex abuse, for example.

And then move on to normalize child abuse of virtually every kind. .... And don't just normalize it -- depict it as a highly desirable lifestyle. 

2 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

And to add to the bolded, I'll bet some of these shocks are specific to the Duggars, not just all fundies. For example, I'm not sure that the Bates adjacents have experienced the same shock, not even Whitney, who wasn't brought up Gothard.

Yeah, I would bet that the majority of the shocks are Duggar-specific. This isn't just an extreme fundie cult family. It's a warped fundie cult family. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9

There was a social experiment done years ago, I think with college kids, having them take on roles of prisoners and jailers. Many acted horribly and most were shocked at their own behaviors.

Similar to what @Churchhoney stated, joining the Duggar family might feel very much the same with the prison guards being JB & M.

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 7
12 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

There was a social experiment done years ago, I think with college kids, having them take on roles of prisoners and jailers. Many acted horribly and most were shocked at their own behaviors.

Similar to what @Churchhoney stated, joining the Duggar family might feel very much the same with the prison guards being JB & M.

Yes! The Stanford Prison Experiment in the early 1970s!

• Love 6
On 8/16/2017 at 9:38 AM, Sew Sumi said:

She must not seem to mind much. She's either a recruiter or a new member of C3's "sorority." Looks like they're swamped with takers.

That place would need #lotsabooze as well

• Love 17
On 8/18/2017 at 7:27 AM, doodlebug said:

Maybe it's some sort of fundie thing.  I've noticed the Duggar girls use signs in their décor like 'Family' or 'Eat' or 'Faith' and so does Joanna Whatsername from Magnolia.  I really don't need to hang a sign in the kitchen that says 'Eat' or put a sign on the mantel next to photos that says 'Family' and I really don't understand how that contributes to the décor.  I can figure out that the kitchen is for eating and the photos are of family without a sign pointing it out.

The 9 year old came out in me.  There should be one over the bathroom that says POOP!

• Love 15
2 hours ago, toodles said:

This is on Pickles' page.  Derick REALLY needs to sit down and shut up.

Isn't there a consensus that Jesus existed? Maybe not the son of god, and perhaps not accurately described in the Bible, but still a real person?

Edited by Kokapetl
  • Love 11
Just now, Kokapetl said:

Isn't there a consensus that Jesus existed? Maybe not the son of god, and perhaps not accurately described in the Bible, but still a real person?

Yes, I feel like he was mentioned as, at minimum, a man, in the records of Roman historians.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historicity_of_Jesus

The historicity of Jesus concerns the degree to which sources show Jesus of Nazareth existed as a historical figure. It concerns the issue of "what really happened", based upon the context of the time and place, and also the issue of how modern observers can come to know "what really happened".  A second issue is closely tied to historical research practices and methodologies for analyzing the reliability of primary sources and other historical evidence. It also considers the question of whether he was a Nazirite.

Virtually all New Testament scholars and Near East historians, applying the standard criteria of historical investigation, find that the historicity of Jesus is effectively certain, although they differ about the beliefs and teachings of Jesus as well as the accuracy of the details of his life that have been described in the gospels.  While scholars have criticized Jesus scholarship for religious bias and lack of methodological soundness, with very few exceptions such critics generally do support the historicity of Jesus and reject the Christ myth theory that Jesus never existed.

• Love 4
24 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Who is it that Derick is arguing with about whether or not Jesus is real?

This is what he was responding to:

Religious Jezta @ReligiousJeztaReplying to @derick4Him

The difference being that #SolarEclipse2017 is actually verifiable & #JesusChristis not.

4:57 PM - 21 Aug 2017

1 minute ago, ginger90 said:

This is what he was responding to:

Religious Jezta @ReligiousJeztaReplying to @derick4Him

The difference being that #SolarEclipse2017 is actually verifiable & #JesusChristis not.

4:57 PM - 21 Aug 2017

Is this Tweeter saying that Jesus can't be verified or that Jesus as the son of God can't be verified or ... I'm so confused.

3 hours ago, Natalie68 said:

That place would need #lotsabooze as well

Izzy looks very confused (I can't blame him) . What is printed on the box in front of him?  "drop it like?

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

To my knowledge, there is no "consensus" about whether Jesus was a real person or not. Many theories out there and not much definitive proof. I doubt Derrick has any to offer up either.

Correct.  The only roman mention of Jesus is by Tacitus and that many many years after Jesus death. There are not contemporaneous accounts of Jesus.  But there are accounts of the early first century cult developing around a risen Jesus. Josephus also lived and wrote  after Jesus would have died and his writing s on Jesus may very well be forgeries

Edited by JennyMominFL
  • Love 8

Can Derick just get a job, hobby, something to keep him busy and off Twitter?   Clearly he has way too much free time on his hands.  I don't remember having any free time with my one infant, let alone a toddler and an infant. 

• Love 17
12 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

To my knowledge, there is no "consensus" about whether Jesus was a real person or not. Many theories out there and not much definitive proof. I doubt Derrick has any to offer up either.

From what I gather, there was very probably a Jesus, though whether the stories are based on one person or a bit of a composite isn't entirely clear. And very probably some of the legends were embellished over time. Look at the stories of King Arthur. What Arthur there was would have lived about a thousand years after Jesus, and yet it's unclear whether the legends were based on one king or a number of more localized rulers, and certainly Merlin is most probably a complete fabrication. Which is all too bad because, on balance, I've always rather preferred the Arthurian legends to the Biblical ones.

Edited by Jynnan tonnix
  • Love 11
15 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Probably the latter, maybe the OP should have made him/herself more clear.

I agree, the use of "christ" specifically which (of course) means "messiah" suggests that the poster was referring to the divinity of Jesus rather than his historical existence, but it is not completely clear. 

As a side note, if such a man existed he would have been a brown-skinned person. Speaking of history lessons. 

Edited by Genevrier
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, tabloidlover said:

Can Derick just get a job, hobby, something to keep him busy and off Twitter?   Clearly he has way too much free time on his hands.  I don't remember having any free time with my one infant, let alone a toddler and an infant. 

It appears he is going to the Cross Church one year ministry program. There are some pictures on Facebook, not sure whose Facebook page (not good at linking, sorry). Description of program is kindof vague and doesn't promise any kind of career or job, sounds like a way to study just to study. We should see loads of pictures now with him "studying" 

• Love 3