Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

It's hysterical at Jill is "all in" with the college mascot given that she thinks educated women are the devil.

Maybe we should be more hopeful. Perhaps she's getting some different thoughts about all that. ... If JimBob and Michelle were my parents and I was changing my mind about some of these rock-solid Duggar principles, I'd keep it to myself. Maybe Jill's doing that. I don;t think it's completely out of the question.

Why would you have a t-shirt that says '2 months'? So come July they put it away and save it for the next baby?

Well, if you plan to have a lot of kids, this may not be as ridiculous as it sounds. Can't see how they would sell many of those shirts, though. And they look like an impulse purchase, but I can't quite picture the retail layout you'd need to display them. Do you suppose there's a shirt for 16 months? 22? 42?

Almost every person I know with a baby posts these sorts of pics on their facebook page, with a onesie or t-shirt that says 1/2/6/etc months.  Israel's shirt isn't unusual in any way.  Most of these shirts only go up to 12 months, and often come in a 12 pack (of different sizes of course).  I bought one for my niece for $12, because seriously, $12 for 12 onesies is a damn steal.  Obviously, there is no rule that these things can only be worn for the duration of a single photo session.  It's like any other baby outfit, just with a specific number on it.

• Love 5

The shirt is probably just a sticker.  It is a trendy thing right now. You pre-buy the pack of stickers (one for each month and then the 1st birthday) and then you stick them on a onesie or t-shirt.  

Google "Pistol Pete Month Stickers"

• Love 3
(edited)

It is a sticker!

$10 on etsy for all 12 months.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/201785157/oklahoma-state-university-pistol-pete?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=pistol%20pete%20milestone%20marker&ref=sr_gallery_1

As for "surprised Jill is all in" on the mascot thing.  I doubt she has a choice.  Even when people are just students at that type of school they often decorate their house in gear for the rest of their lives. He WAS the mascot.

Edited by Skittl1321
  • Love 3

Aww it is nice to see Izzy smile. 

Showing my age, but the only cloth diapers I recall are the square white ones that were folded into a triangular shape and then securing them with big safety pins!  The current ones are sure a tremendous improvement.

• Love 2

Showing my age, but the only cloth diapers I recall are the square white ones that were folded into a triangular shape and then securing them with big safety pins!  The current ones are sure a tremendous improvement.

They have come a long way! I used ones similar to these with my younger son (he's 10 now). I never would have done it if I had to do the white diapers and pins!

I gotta believe it would be easier for Jill to use cloth diapers in Nepal, as long as she has access to water to clean them.

• Love 5

The current ones are amazing. My mother heard we were doing cloth diapers and she basically freaked and started yelling about rubber pants. They're actually cute and easy to use and clean.

Though depending on how many little ones she has in diapers at once, that's a lot of laundry-we have one kiddo and we wash his cloth diapers daily to keep a constant clean supply.

• Love 4

I love cloth diapers. I could go off topic for paragraphs expounding on my love of them. Mine were from more than 10 years ago & I thought they were incredible. My cousin has two little ones in cloth & they have even cooler options now. As for Izzy, his smile is beautiful. A smiling baby always seems to make me smile.

• Love 5

Imagine using cloth diapers in a country that just experienced a natural disaster

It would probably be easier.  Not to mention Jill might get the luxury of learning how to have a diaper free baby.  I think in western countries they are calling it elimination communication (weirdest term ever!) but it's a fairly common practice around the world.  

• Love 1

As for "surprised Jill is all in" on the mascot thing. I doubt she has a choice. Even when people are just students at that type of school they often decorate their house in gear for the rest of their lives. He WAS the mascot.

I went to a very similar school in the same athletic conference, and YES. My husband is now a fan whether he likes it or not. If we had kids, there would absolutely be photos of them in the school's gear. It's practically a dominant genetic trait. I just hope that it's contagious enough to get Jill excited about seeing her kids actually *attend* these kinds of schools (preferably my alma mater because it is The Best).

• Love 3

Jill came out of her intentional or unintentional silence from social media to post an update on Izzy's 2 month birthday. https://instagram.com/p/3mavEWrszF/

11350883_840569746030044_750467865_n.jpg

What a big cutie! I think it's nice to finally see a smile from him so people can stop commenting on how "miserable" he looked in his early photos. Is that a cloth diaper he's wearing?

It's a diaper cover, I had nearly the same one except it was green

• Love 1

I'm going to go off the rails here to be a super-bummer and suggest that Jill and Derrick taking little Iz to Nepal on an extended missionary trip is just fucking CRAZY. Just my opinion, but why, oh, why, would you take an INFANT to a third world country that suffered a recent, devastating natural disaster ?!?! 

There is death in the water, bodies floating by like leaves in the fall. The ground is littered with rotting corpses trapped under the buildings that collapsed upon them. There's cholera, typhus, sepsis, and a zillion other infections just waiting for the three of them. Most of all, I can't discount Jill's preference for wearing those cheap flip-flops in situations where she should be wearing Wellies or combat boots. Her unknowing, almost innocent disregard for her own safety (and now for that of her son) just takes my breath away.  While I absolutely admire her and Derrick's dedication to helping to save the world, can't they, please, PLEASE do it a little closer to home without putting their son in imminent danger ?

This is a country where bugs lay their eggs in your FACE while you're sleeping. There are certainly hundreds of places here in the US that they can do just as much good and not put Iz in such a dangerous situation. 

How far away from JB and Michelle (and Josh !) does she need to go before she feels safe ? This is SO much more of a discussion about diapers...

• Love 15

I've traveled extensively so I tend to have a lot of acquaintances and friends all over the world.  I'm also of an age where my peer group is  in the process of having kids.  I have been an aid worker in disaster areas a number of times.  Always always there were other aid workers who brought their families, including doctors and other health care providers.  Children face dangers all the time, including in their own home and by the hands of their own family members.  I think as long as parents are educated about the potential dangers and have prepared for them, it's great if they want to travel with their family. When traveling abroad, it's often required to educate one's self because there can be required medical considerations before obtaining a visa or entry into a country, not to mention most aid organizations, even religiously affiliated ones, have their own requirement checklists before people arrive in country.  

I really don't have any objections to parents taking their children abroad, even to areas certain types of people would define as dangerous.  I'm tempted to email my college bestie who is currently in nepal with her entire family, including infant twins, to be on the lookout when they next head to Kathmandu for a supply run.  I had objections to certain missionary work, but I think it's a great idea that the Dillard family is continuing to expand their horizons while also helping people.  For those concerned about Jill's lack of worldliness and general naïveté, this can only be a good thing, and rest assured that aid organizations generally do everything they can to make sure their volunteers and their families are as healthy and safe as possible.  

• Love 11

Oh, look at the baby wrists. I'm an absolute patsy for that little wrinkle at their wrists and their pudgy little feet.

Pretty sure that's a diaper cover, and the shirt seems like something a fan would send

• Love 2

I'm betting the onesie was a gift, or from a shower where everyone makes a onesie for the baby. With a first baby, you can end up with so many onesies that you could have them wear one every day and never repeat the first three months or so. And I'm not on television. People love to give you onesies.

• Love 3

Almost every person I know with a baby posts these sorts of pics on their facebook page, with a onesie or t-shirt that says 1/2/6/etc months.  Israel's shirt isn't unusual in any way.  Most of these shirts only go up to 12 months, and often come in a 12 pack (of different sizes of course).  I bought one for my niece for $12, because seriously, $12 for 12 onesies is a damn steal.  Obviously, there is no rule that these things can only be worn for the duration of a single photo session.  It's like any other baby outfit, just with a specific number on it.

Well, I was kind of joking. But I have never seen one before. This is what comes of not using either Facebook or a smartphone. I never see anyone's baby pictures any more. And they come in a pack. Now that makes sense! I had this image of them all in separate little cellophane packages, but of course not. They're like socks with days of the week on them. Thanks for the information.

• Love 1
(edited)

It made me happy to see a baby Israel picture.  All the negative in this forum as of late is just too much for me to wade through.   I hope he does grow up to carry on the Pistol Pete tradition.    

Glad the comments are positive on her instagram.  Maybe they will come out of their Duggar bunker.    

Edited by auntieminem
  • Love 3

Based on the quotes I've read from her and Jessa, they look like tears of "the media has failed us, the report was 'illegally' obtained". 

They have every right to feel victimized by this tabloid because they were.

• Love 5

It is a sticker!

$10 on etsy for all 12 months.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/201785157/oklahoma-state-university-pistol-pete?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=pistol%20pete%20milestone%20marker&ref=sr_gallery_1

As for "surprised Jill is all in" on the mascot thing.  I doubt she has a choice.  Even when people are just students at that type of school they often decorate their house in gear for the rest of their lives. He WAS the mascot.

Good catch on the sticker! I think taking weekly or monthly pictures with a number sticker on a plain onesie is a big thing now. Cute idea and especially cute when they're all put in one album to show time lapse.

As for the mascot thing, I think it's sad if the kids will be exposed to the mascot and all of the fun and tradition that goes with following a college team, yet they might not be allowed to attend a public university themselves. I'm not sure how you explain the inconsistency to the kids.

• Love 4

I really, really, really, really, really, really, want to know how Derick and Ben reacted to all this.  And do we have confirmation they are going on a missionary trip?  I haven't seen anything official.

• Love 6

Cute baby, but still no desire to see any Dullard spinoff.

Haven't watched 19KAC in years so a Dillard or Seewald spinoff doesn't interest me at all.

I agree that Izzy is a cutie.

• Love 1

They have every right to feel victimized by this tabloid because they were.

Agreed. It's been really hard for me to wrap my head around how awful this has to be for them in that respect. I can't imagine something so horrific happening to me and then see it appear in a tabloid for the whole world to see years later. I think I would be more horrified by that than anything else. I don't care how many years they parade around on television and magazines, they had every right to keep that aspect of their lives private.

• Love 7
(edited)

Cute baby, but still no desire to see any Dullard spinoff.

Izz is one cute baby. ALL babies are cute. But it breaks my heart to look into that utterly trusting, innocent little face knowing what is likely ahead for this little pudder [our family's word for baby - rhymes with "gooder']. Watching his mother, aunts and uncles being subjected to such a narrow, fear-filled perspective of the world was bad enough. No Dillard spinoff, TLC. 

Edited by Wellfleet
  • Love 12

I remember Derick making a comment a month or two ago about how Jill "ate in the bathroom" when they were first married. I thought it was weird, but it sounded like he meant it as light-hearted and teasing and Jill made some statement about "with all those siblings around!"

I come from a large family and never had to eat in the bathroom to keep my siblings from stealing my food, and I don't know anyone else who did, either. I did know one girl in college (who had an eating disorder) who at in the bathroom, but I don't think that's normal behavior.

I mention this not because I think there is a direct cause and effect relationship between childhood sexual abuse and eating in the bathroom, but because I think that there is a lot that is just "off" about that household. I hope that what we have learned is the worst of it, but I certainly wouldn't be surprised if there was a lot more we don't know about. I think that there is a lot that goes on in that house that isn't just "with xx kids, we do things just a little bit differently."

I remember that comment struck me too; I think he actually said, "Now you don't have to eat in the bathroom anymore." I thought, wow, I bet that wasn't supposed to be mentioned. It does seem to say there are layers and layers of weirdness and dysfunctionality in that house, more than we ever saw and probably some we'd never guess.

• Love 8

Wait - Jill really ate in the bathroom? Did she do this at the TTH, too? Or just her home with Derrik?

It's been reported she sometimes ate in the bathroom in their former home, because there wasn't enough food. I'm not sure if that was at the TTH or the one before it. Hopefully someone who remembers more details will be along soon.  I don't think she's been eating in the bathroom for quite some time now and not in her new home.

Haven't watched 19KAC in years so a Dillard or Seewald spinoff doesn't interest me at all.

I agree that Izzy is a cutie.

Honestly, who can argue with a baby being cute.  They have tried all the adults and failed... 

It's IZZY TIME!

• Love 4

The latest set of Iz photos seem like Jill has tried hard to take cute pictures of her baby with almost all of her older siblings. And yet no snaps of Josh (or Anna, as an extension of same).  We know, per the MK interview, that Jill has forgiven Josh. So maybe the Smuggars are still out of town. Or not.

• Love 1

Forgiven or not, any photo is only going to flood her comments thread with really ugly posts. I wouldn't do it, regardless of how I felt.

• Love 13

The latest set of Iz photos seem like Jill has tried hard to take cute pictures of her baby with almost all of her older siblings. And yet no snaps of Josh (or Anna, as an extension of same).  We know, per the MK interview, that Jill has forgiven Josh. So maybe the Smuggars are still out of town. Or not.

Contrary to popular belief forgiveness doesn't mean the person has to be in your orbit.  You can forgive someone but keep them out of your close circle of relationships. 

• Love 8