Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by CM-CrispMtAir,

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Boston said:

I want Jill to be happy.. no matter who says what.  That is all we can ask for in this life.  (sorry for ranting)

This is what I want, although I do love a good snark about the whole Duggar clan. 

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Meow25 said:

I agree with this.  I happen to know a LOT of fundie families.  I live in rural PA/OH (border) and I probably personally know 10-12 families who fit the large family, denim skirt, homeschool box.  Out of ALL the families, only one was led into fundamentalism by the husband.  The women I know in this cult are VERY controlling, but always appear to be super submissive.  The one husband used to skateboard with my husband (back in the 90's) and they still go running together.  He told DH that their 12 year old daughter can't read,  and that he wanted to send her to public school (where our kids go) and her reply was, "No.  The Lord will help us educate her.  Read your BIble."  She used religious abuse to shame him out of having a say.  I see it ALL the time.  They always appear prim, proper, and silent in public and at church...but the opposite is usually always true.  

It's kind of like FB.  When you see a couple loving all over each other online, there's usually problems at home they're trying to hide.  I'm not saying that JB is an innocent.  He is for sure a small dicked asshole trying to constantly prove his manhood...and maybe that's why.  Michelle really is in control.  

I will ALSO add that among these fundie cults I've noticed that many of these women have a baby hoarding mentality.  Most of them LOVE LOVE LOVE babies, but lose interest when the baby is about 12-24 months old...so time for a new one.  Another friend (the husband of the family) desperately wants to have a vasectomy.  His wife will cry and cry and say "Just 1 more!!!  God wants us to have another!" ...they're pregnant with their 7th.  😞  He always gives in.  

If their 12-year old can’t read, that is child abuse.

• Love 22
25 minutes ago, Kellyee said:

I'm curious how much more Jill will confess to keep the money rolling in. Do you think a book is out of the question? I would love to see Jill's new version of Growing Up Duggar.

I know Derick has threatened a book, but I feel like more people would be interested in Jill writing a tell-all than him. I doubt Derick is very happy about that, and I find it interesting any time he's ever stirred the book shitpot, he has always made it very clear it is HIS book and not a joint effort. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
27 minutes ago, Zella said:

I know Derick has threatened a book, but I feel like more people would be interested in Jill writing a tell-all than him. I doubt Derick is very happy about that, and I find it interesting any time he's ever stirred the book shitpot, he has always made it very clear it is HIS book and not a joint effort. 

I think publishers are far more likely to be interested in a book written by Jill, particularly if it contains juicy details about her childhood and the molestation.  She'd need a ghostwriter, but a publisher would be happy to help with that.  I don't think Derick, with his fairly unremarkable childhood and only recent introduction into this clusterfuc* of a family is going to be of much interest to publishers.  

A nice advance on a bio for Jill would go a long way to securing her future and that of her boys.  I think she'd do it if she had a collaborator she trusted and the money was good.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 17
5 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

I think it publishers are far more likely to be interested in a book written by Jill, particularly if it contains juicy details about her childhood and the molestation.  She'd need a ghostwriter, but a publisher would be happy to help with that. 

Yes, I agree! I think the biggest obstacle for her would likely be knowing if she went through with it, that's the point of no return when it comes to reconciling with her family. The crossing of the Rubicon, if you will. I do think she is being truthful when she says she would like to be on better terms with them (though I seriously doubt things will ever improve). Derick doesn't give a shit (and though I think he's been a shit about it, I can see why he has no desire to mend any fences with his in-laws), and I think that's why he continues to periodically mention it--because he knows it agitates Jim Bob. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 10
21 minutes ago, Zella said:

Yes, I agree! I think the biggest obstacle for her would likely be knowing if she went through with it, that's the point of no return when it comes to reconciling with her family. The crossing of the Rubicon, if you will. I do think she is being truthful when she says she would like to be on better terms with them (though I seriously doubt things will ever improve). Derick doesn't give a shit (and though I think he's been a shit about it, I can see why he has no desire to mend any fences with his in-laws), and I think that's why he continues to periodically mention it--because he knows it agitates Jim Bob. 

That, and it keeps people paying attention to him. He knows everyone is salivating for a scorched earth Duggar break.

If their videos and the People article are any indication, I don't think any book that Jill "writes" would have enough teeth to do more damage to her relationship with her family than has already been done. She really hasn't said anything very critical of anyone, and she's still all about "bible based" and "God leading."

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, lascuba said:

That, and it keeps people paying attention to him. He knows everyone is salivating for a scorched earth Duggar break.

If their videos and the People article are any indication, I don't think any book that Jill "writes" would have enough teeth to do more damage to her relationship with her family than has already been done. She really hasn't said anything very critical of anyone, and she's still all about "bible based" and "God leading."

Yeah her comments have been fairly neutral, all things considered. I don't think she has any intention of going truly scorched earth on them as of right now. I'm not sure what if anything would push her to that point.  

• Love 4

This has probably been addressed before but, does JB get the money his adult children earn from Counting On?  Because this is how I read it and I’m wondering why she would have to get lawyers to get her money from her dad. He gets the money and then doles it out to his, again, Adult children?  Am I reading into all this right?

• Love 1
On 10/21/2020 at 7:58 PM, Scarlett45 said:

Oh BARBRI!!! Such fun memories- NOT🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 I remember doing multiple choice on the app before bed.

an app?  I took this back in the day when we had tapes that I played at night on my Sony walkman tape player.  Went to sleep listening to them.  also had lots of flash cards, but I can't recall if they were from Barbri or not.  I don't recall doing bar review that early.  I think I started in my last semester. 

13 hours ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

This feels like a lie to me. Derrick quit his corporate accounting job. They grifted money to become "missionaries" and went to Danger America and failed. Derrick solicited money to do a year-long pastoring mentorship program, and nothing came of it. Jill didn't seem interested or driven enough to pursue a job using her "medical things".  Seems to me, they (and Derrick especially) are still blaming others for their own failures. It's okay to try something and not always succeed. Failure is a part of life. 

well, Derrick may  use his accounting knowledge depending on what type of law practice he goes into so maybe that time at Walmart will have been well spent.

I missed the  date of the People article.  Is this recent.  Our postman frequently delivers People to us, although he should take it next door.  I confess to occasionally taking a peek, although I find I don't recognize nearly as many "people" as I used to.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, Coffeefrog19 said:

This has probably been addressed before but, does JB get the money his adult children earn from Counting On?  Because this is how I read it and I’m wondering why she would have to get lawyers to get her money from her dad. He gets the money and then doles it out to his, again, Adult children?  Am I reading into all this right?

Nobody really knows. Because the kids were all minors when the show started it makes sense that JB & M would be the ones paid. Its when the adults started marrying and moving out where it gets murky.

Jill and Derick claim they were never paid for appearing on the show and they never say whether they were suing TLC or JB. All the adults presently on the show live comfortably, so they're getting paid somehow.

Jill and Derick have said a lot of things that don't make sense and maybe aren't true. They said being on the show stopped them from doing other things, yet once they were off the show, they didn't do anything that couldn't be filmed and they stayed in Arkansas.

Jinger & Jeremy moved twice and he is pursuing a degree in religion and they're still on the show.

Because none of it makes sense I'm guessing both Jill's and Derick's explanations have some truths, some lies and some omissions.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, Twopper said:

an app?  I took this back in the day when we had tapes that I played at night on my Sony walkman tape player.  Went to sleep listening to them.  also had lots of flash cards, but I can't recall if they were from Barbri or not.  I don't recall doing bar review that early.  I think I started in my last semester. 

Yeah I didn’t start until after graduation. I don’t think Derrick is starting bar review I think he’s promoting it a year early either for pay or a free prep course. 

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

Yeah I didn’t start until after graduation. I don’t think Derrick is starting bar review I think he’s promoting it a year early either for pay or a free prep course. 

Oh gosh, the bar review. I did it way back in prehistory, before technology; I don't think there were even tapes. Just live evening classes and a lot of handouts (on, you know, paper), and a big softcover course book. I also didn't start it before graduation. And I got crazy: took the bar exam in the state where I lived and went to law school. Then even before they had actually printed my big frame-able law license? I accepted a job in another state, moved there, and enrolled in the bar review there. It was kind of my life for a couple of months; thank goodness I passed the bar exam and could go to work. That was intense. 

I agree that Derick is promoting the bar review but I doubt he's really doing it right now. I believe that for him right now, Job One is completing his final year of law school.

• Love 6
13 hours ago, Coffeefrog19 said:

I think that JB set up a company, and that the contract for the show is between that company and TLC. No individual has a contract directly with TLC. JB’s company got paid and he chose how to distribute money or assets in lieu of money to his kids. 

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 13
9 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I think that JB set up a company, and that the contract for the show is between that company and TLC. No individual has a contract directly with TLC. JB’s company got paid and he choose how to distribute money or assets in lieu of money to his kids. 

And it can't be stressed enough that these kids were raised to believe that Daddy's word was law and that any sign of disobedience, or even questioning his decisions, would bring swift and terrible punishment. Nor should we underestimate how naïve and unworldly these kids are.  The average middle school student has a better understanding of how things work in the real world. In order for the adult kids to appear on TLC, they would have to sign waivers allowing their paychecks to be automatically directed to Jim Bob's family trust (or whatever it's called). I'm sure that they all sign their names without reading or understanding what they're doing. They'll sign anything Daddy puts in front of them without question. Most of them probably have no idea at all how much money is involved or that they have any kind of legal right to it. Some of them may actually believe that TLC pays the family nothing and it's all part of their "ministry".

The real danger for Jim Bob is when "outsiders" marry into the family and become part of the show. The daughters-in-law can be ignored (women have no right to meddle in business affairs) and the more passive or unworldly sons-in-law like Ben or Austin can be easily placated or frightened into submission. But the ones who know how the real world works, like Derick (who's studying law) and Jeremy (who's familiar with contracts from his soccer days) pose a distinct threat. I think this is one of the reasons Jim Bob disliked Jeremy from the start; he saw him as a potential trouble-maker. In fact, Jim Bob is probably surprised that it's Derick who is now rocking the boat. He probably thought that Derick was safe and would remain securely under his thumb forever. 

• Love 16

If the "performers" are signed on with the Duggar entertainment business, they don't need waivers for TLC to film them.  The waivers are for outsiders such as people in stores or who show up at Duggar events.  The contract is usually with a family firm and the Duggars would not be an exception there.  The family members are then employees or associates of the family business and TLC can just ignore all the niceties of paying individuals. 

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 5
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Nobody really knows. Because the kids were all minors when the show started it makes sense that JB & M would be the ones paid. Its when the adults started marrying and moving out where it gets murky.

Jill and Derick claim they were never paid for appearing on the show and they never say whether they were suing TLC or JB. All the adults presently on the show live comfortably, so they're getting paid somehow.

Jill and Derick have said a lot of things that don't make sense and maybe aren't true. They said being on the show stopped them from doing other things, yet once they were off the show, they didn't do anything that couldn't be filmed and they stayed in Arkansas.

Jinger & Jeremy moved twice and he is pursuing a degree in religion and they're still on the show.

Because none of it makes sense I'm guessing both Jill's and Derick's explanations have some truths, some lies and some omissions.

That's my read on it. The only thing they couldn't do because of the show was openly preach on camera. The only hold the show really had on them was JB's emotional manipulation over family and ministry. And sure, that would be a strong motivator, but it's not a legal one.

I'm also more convinced now that Derick was fired from SOS because of the things Jill and her family said on camera. I could see that weaselly little shit using that as his justification for saying that show stopped them from doing things. "The show wouldn't let us tell viewers they were going to hell and the Danger America is actually hell on earth! See how mean they are!"

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Albanyguy said:

And it can't be stressed enough that these kids were raised to believe that Daddy's word was law and that any sign of disobedience, or even questioning his decisions, would bring swift and terrible punishment. Nor should we underestimate how naïve and unworldly these kids are.  . . .

The real danger for Jim Bob is when "outsiders" marry into the family and become part of the show. The daughters-in-law can be ignored (women have no right to meddle in business affairs) and the more passive or unworldly sons-in-law like Ben or Austin can be easily placated or frightened into submission. But the ones who know how the real world works, like Derick (who's studying law) and Jeremy (who's familiar with contracts from his soccer days) pose a distinct threat. I think this is one of the reasons Jim Bob disliked Jeremy from the start; he saw him as a potential trouble-maker. In fact, Jim Bob is probably surprised that it's Derick who is now rocking the boat. He probably thought that Derick was safe and would remain securely under his thumb forever. 

Well said! I agree, the Duggar kids have been thoroughly trained to jump when JB (or MEchelle) barks, and to never ask questions.

I think Derick was vulnerable and way too trusting of JB when he joined the family. He was young and (IMO) deep into a phase of religious fervor, and probably enamored of what he thought JB and the Duggar family were all about, and took a deep dive into the fundie world and Duggarland. Of course he believed whatever JB told him about the TV show.  I think his outbursts of anger reflect that he felt very betrayed as time went by and he learned what was what and lost his illusions about JB, and IMO what was behind the anger was more than just the dollars. 

As noted, Jeremy wasn't all starry-eyed and infatuated with the Duggars when he showed up. It's clear from the TV show footage that JB was like a hissing tomcat with Jeremy from the start. I'm sure Jeremy didn't buy any BS from his future father-in-law about show contracts, bless his calculating little heart.

• Love 17

Maybe it’s the other way around. Maybe Derrick wanted to stay at Walmart and pursue a law degree (does Walmart cover tuition for employees?) but because a real 9-5 is not compatible with reality show filming, he had to quit and go to Central America. Neither Derrick nor Jill ever looked truly happy there but TLC got video of “real” Christian missionaries baking banana bread and talking about how scary it was. And once he quit Walmart, he couldn’t go back. 
I can’t judge - if someone offered me a good sum of cash for a reality show (and of I was younger with less life experience, it might seem like an easy way to set myself up with cash. Unfortunately, reality tv has never left anyone unscarred no matter how successful they seem. 

• Love 16
15 minutes ago, Mojitogirl said:

Maybe it’s the other way around. Maybe Derrick wanted to stay at Walmart and pursue a law degree (does Walmart cover tuition for employees?) but because a real 9-5 is not compatible with reality show filming, he had to quit and go to Central America. Neither Derrick nor Jill ever looked truly happy there but TLC got video of “real” Christian missionaries baking banana bread and talking about how scary it was. And once he quit Walmart, he couldn’t go back. 
I can’t judge - if someone offered me a good sum of cash for a reality show (and of I was younger with less life experience, it might seem like an easy way to set myself up with cash. Unfortunately, reality tv has never left anyone unscarred no matter how successful they seem. 

I believe that last sentence for sure! I also agree that neither Jill nor Derick looked happy in Danger America. 

I'm not sure Derick was all into the Walmart job at least as a long-term plan. IIRC when he married Jill his ambitions lay with becoming a missionary working for the Baptist International Missions Board. And he seemed to think that Jill would be an ideal spouse who would join him in that career. I believe he even posted on social media, early in their marriage, that they were both taking some theological or related coursework to become missionaries. However, that didn't last long. The IMB has pretty strong educational requirements for all their career missionary positions - for the candidates themselves and also for the candidate's spouse. I think it didn't take long after marriage for it to dawn on Derick that Jill was woefully undereducated and wouldn't be able to complete the "spousal" educational requirements. Those aren't as high as for the candidates themselves but still require college-level courses to be completed if not an actual degree (I can't remember the deets on that). 

It's possible Derick intended to stay longer at Walmart than he did, and I think his first plan was that he would work there while he and Jill did the college-level coursework they needed to qualify for the IMB. 

After it became clear to him that no way would Jill ever make it to the IMB requirements, I suspect Derick was disappointed, and that he viewed the SOS gig as a come-down from his original hopes. He even, stupidly and briefly, said on social media that he and Jill had been "commissioned" (or some such term) by Cross Church, when they were leaving for Danger America. Actually, they'd been recognized at church and wished well for the success of their trip, but were not sent as representatives of that church, and IIRC he had to back down from that claim. If he were all that happy to be going there for SOS he wouldn't have been so reluctant to mention it. 

• Love 8

I think Derick did the normal 20s thing of trying out different versions of his future and himself. Which is great, I think we'd all be better off if everyone had a chance to find themselves and their place in the world that way. But Derick also has some emotional issues. This is the guy who decided to essentially arrange a marriage for himself and create his own family ASAP because his dad was dead and his mother was possibly dying -- he clearly likes security, wants to be at the destination rather than on the journey. And I think he's now imagining a past where he didn't waste time going down what he now thinks of as blind alleys -- like getting caught up with the show -- and had just gone straight from college to living his dream (whatever that may be at this point). And he's blaming the show and JB and whoever else for him not already living the dream right now. Even though the reality is that all those blind alleys are the times when he was maturing and living life, they weren't a waste at all. Hopefully he'll eventually grow up enough to see that.

The thing is, I think Jill is on a completely different path in terms of self-discovery and in terms of what she's thinking and feeling. Jill is more of a mystery to me.

• Love 12

They actually addressed the timing of their missionary work. Both thought maybe they should wait because when the opportunity came up, Izzy was a newborn. But after receiving "some counsel" they realized there would likely always a reason to wait. So Derick quit his job, got surgery on his mouth and off they went.

• Useful 5
  • Love 4

Well said! I agree, the Duggar kids have been thoroughly trained to jump when JB (or MEchelle) barks, and to never ask questions.

They have also been set up to be incapable of providing for themselves financially. No college, and barely what would pass for a high school diploma. No part time jobs in high school outside the family businesses. And they've been anyone who doesn't think like they do is a threat. If Jana or one of the others did want to run away, where would they even go?

For Hasidic Jews in a similar position, there is an organization called Footsteps that provides help and guidance. I don't know that there is anything similar for fundie Christians. There is a similar organization for fundie Mormons.

• Useful 5
  • Love 5
21 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

They actually addressed the timing of their missionary work. Both thought maybe they should wait because when the opportunity came up, Izzy was a newborn. But after receiving "some counsel" they realized there would likely always a reason to wait. So Derick quit his job, got surgery on his mouth and off they went.

That's interesting. I'd actually forgotten about that surgery and what seemed like a protracted recovery. All of that would certainly account for how unhappy they seemed while supposedly living their missionary dream. 

Man, they really went through a lot of life stuff in just a few years. Not that they're unique in that respect, but they had their own challenges for sure.

• Love 10

Jill has always struck me as 100% sincere in her desire to help. It's something I've always liked about her, even if our definitions of helping are polar opposites. But I don't think even Jill believed that camp counselling the mission trippers and baking banana bread were at all the kind of helpful she wanted to do. I'd imagine that both of them got hit with a lot of disillusionment in those months, marauding shower curtain notwithstanding. 

• Love 19

Was this the vacation from before Derick we back to school? Love how old habits die hard - take a bunch of pictures then trickle them out when you need PR.

Jill's becoming Jessa and Jessa's becoming Jill. 2020, just stop already.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I’m loving jill’s little mic drops here and there. 

It's okay. Just know that the People article, released in its entirety today, revealed Jill to be predictably homophobic. Called LGBT a "lifestyle" and said she'd essentially love the sinner but hate the sin if one of her kids came out.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

I wonder if Jill realizes Jessa and sis in law Lauren are Karen's in training? Lol

I think she's tired of coming here and reading "you know she washed that flashlight off and put it back in the drawer, ewwwwwww".

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
10 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

It's okay. Just know that the People article, released in its entirety today, revealed Jill to be predictably homophobic. Called LGBT a "lifestyle" and said she'd essentially love the sinner but hate the sin if one of her kids came out.

I  wasn’t referring to that. Just her statement on controlling family size and her preempting negative comments with her snark  I don’t have to agree with all her beliefs to like some things about her. I’m not sure if I misunderstood you?

• Love 8

It's quite something to see jill get praised for preemptively "snarking" on snarkers, but when Jessa does it, she's this huge bitch. Whew.

16 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

It's been really depressing to see how so many are willing to essentially throw LGBTQ people under the bus so they can all "YASSS QUEEN!" Jill.

• Love 13
17 minutes ago, Kiss my mutt said:

I  wasn’t referring to that. Just her statement on controlling family size and her preempting negative comments with her snark  I don’t have to agree with all her beliefs to like some things about her. I’m not sure if I misunderstood you?

Nothing to misunderstand, really. I just wanted to point out that Jill is nowhere near being progressive. She's broken free of the cult, which is outstanding, but I don't think she will ever be even a centrist in her philosophy.

• Love 18
Just now, Zella said:

I don't get the flashlight reference. Could someone please enlighten me? 

Jill posted something about hearing the boys in the bathroom and hearing a splash and realizing a flashlight was in the toilet and the toilet wasn't clear water.  She ended it by saying something to the effect of "and yes I threw the flashlight out, Karen".

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Nothing to misunderstand, really. I just wanted to point out that Jill is nowhere near being progressive. She's broken free of the cult, which is outstanding, but I don't think she will ever be even a centrist in her philosophy.

I don’t think I referred to her as progressive so I’m not sure where you’re getting that from what I said. 

• Love 3
Just now, hathorlive said:

Jill posted something about hearing the boys in the bathroom and hearing a splash and realizing a flashlight was in the toilet and the toilet wasn't clear water.  She ended it by saying something to the effect of "and yes I threw the flashlight out, Karen".

Okay thank you! This is embarrassing to admit, but I did read that post and then forgot all about it as soon as I blinked. I was expecting a story from the days of Danger America. 

• LOL 6