Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by Scarlett45

The Politics Policy is still in effect- a participant's social media is not a method to circumvent the policy. Further postings of participant's social media discussing politics, political figures, political bodies etc will result in warnings. 

• Start Topic

So, if humans and dinosaurs existed together, as they believe, how is it that dinosaurs became extinct and humans continued on? Do they believe that either a giant meteor hit the earth and exploded or sudden climate change (ice age) hit? Still, how is it that humans survived? These people really need to answer those valid questions. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
On 10/13/2020 at 6:55 PM, ginger90 said:

BE51F912-F720-4654-A570-14080511E813.jpeg

5D077150-12EE-4D2E-8F5B-3A5A02467081.jpeg

Looking at Israel in these pictures my guess is Dinosaur Day went something like this.  

A week or two prior parents received a note home informing them they would be having a Dinosaur Day coming up, offering up some loose outlines about how the kids could dress like paleontologists if desired, asking for parents to send in two empty toilet paper rolls or a paper towel tube and possibly asking for a small fee to cover specialty supplies (such as the aprons and magnifying glass).  It's also possible the PTO sponsored the purchase of the specialty supplies.

Dinosaur day comes, kids show up dressed for the day, receive their tyrannosaurus information page, which is reviewed in a class discussion.  Kids then get handouts where they cut out bones and the idea of fossils and searching for and studying them to learn about dinosaurs and other creatures is discussed.  Kids also put together their binoculars and discuss how that's also a tool paleontologists or scientists might use to learn things about the natural area around us and try to understand what the clues and information tell us.  Kids also complete a series of activities related around various other bits of information related to dinos, ending up with various bits and bobs that they then attach to display on their aprons, in a simple way to demonstrate how paleontologists work with tools and might collect specimens they find.

Dinosaur day might actually be a bit less steeped in creationism versus evolution, and in fact focuses a bit more on developing fine motor skills of cutting things out, following instructions about putting together the binoculars and apron displays, going over a few rudimentary facts about dinosaurs and fossils, and introducing a very early window into the idea of scientific research and how we come to understand the natural world around us.    

• Love 19
7 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Looking at Israel in these pictures my guess is Dinosaur Day went something like this.  

A week or two prior parents received a note home informing them they would be having a Dinosaur Day coming up, offering up some loose outlines about how the kids could dress like paleontologists if desired, asking for parents to send in two empty toilet paper rolls or a paper towel tube and possibly asking for a small fee to cover specialty supplies (such as the aprons and magnifying glass).  It's also possible the PTO sponsored the purchase of the specialty supplies.

Dinosaur day comes, kids show up dressed for the day, receive their tyrannosaurus information page, which is reviewed in a class discussion.  Kids then get handouts where they cut out bones and the idea of fossils and searching for and studying them to learn about dinosaurs and other creatures is discussed.  Kids also put together their binoculars and discuss how that's also a tool paleontologists or scientists might use to learn things about the natural area around us and try to understand what the clues and information tell us.  Kids also complete a series of activities related around various other bits of information related to dinos, ending up with various bits and bobs that they then attach to display on their aprons, in a simple way to demonstrate how paleontologists work with tools and might collect specimens they find.

Dinosaur day might actually be a bit less steeped in creationism versus evolution, and in fact focuses a bit more on developing fine motor skills of cutting things out, following instructions about putting together the binoculars and apron displays, going over a few rudimentary facts about dinosaurs and fossils, and introducing a very early window into the idea of scientific research and how we come to understand the natural world around us.    

A friend of mine is a kindergarten assistant and your assessment is spot on.  Kindergarten is really about making sure kids have the necessary skills to succeed in a public school classroom, and teachers have to come up with creative ways to teach kids how to use scissors and follow directions.  

• Love 17
9 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

A friend of mine is a kindergarten assistant and your assessment is spot on.  Kindergarten is really about making sure kids have the necessary skills to succeed in a public school classroom, and teachers have to come up with creative ways to teach kids how to use scissors and follow directions.  

Yep, Dinosaur Day is more likely a kid friendly framework that can be used to achieve other lessons and build various skills.  Wouldn't be one bit surprised down the road to see what Israel decided to bring to show his class as his representation of 100 things for the 100th day of school.  My youngest had the hardest time nailing down what exactly she wanted to take in.  Such important stuff at that age.

• Love 2

@QuinnInND:  I taught kindergarten for 18 years.  This looks like a typical kinder fun activity.
 I don’t recall ever teaching specifically about dinosaurs—we would read stories about them and maybe spoke about what they ate or looked like.  
My students over the years enjoyed the primary versions of Little House on the Prairie, Magic Treehouse series, and anything to do with space, planets and the stars.  
It is amazing what will engage young minds and I’m glad to see that Israel has the opportunity to learn with other children his age.

• Love 14
1 hour ago, Tikichick said:

Yep, Dinosaur Day is more likely a kid friendly framework that can be used to achieve other lessons and build various skills.  Wouldn't be one bit surprised down the road to see what Israel decided to bring to show his class as his representation of 100 things for the 100th day of school.  My youngest had the hardest time nailing down what exactly she wanted to take in.  Such important stuff at that age.

I'm taking my reply to this over to the Small Talk Thread.

My kids always wanted to pick and put in my earrings. I stopped wearing them when my youngest started grabbing them. He was the only one I adopted as an infant, so that was a new, painful behavior.

@MsJamieDornan, my first thought was cowboy boots but I've led a very, very sheltered life and didn't even hear of stripper boots until I was in college in my late 40s.

Edited by Nysha
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

This is actually a relatable share, and the photo feels genuine and organic.   I think Jill can now see her life as more than simply staying home with babies, diapers and endless kid stuff and is realizing the moments with her boys being small is a snapshot in time and can appreciate and enjoy the fleeting time.   

I really wouldn't guess it's Jill if I didn't know.  The eye makeup, the facial expression and then the way the hair is pushed back throws me off.   

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Tikichick said:

This is actually a relatable share, and the photo feels genuine and organic.   I think Jill can now see her life as more than simply staying home with babies, diapers and endless kid stuff and is realizing the moments with her boys being small is a snapshot in time and can appreciate and enjoy the fleeting time.   

I really wouldn't guess it's Jill if I didn't know.  The eye makeup, the facial expression and then the way the hair is pushed back throws me off.   

Yeah, it’s oddly normal. (Which is what I think this thread should be called.)

• LOL 3
  • Love 2

Well nice to see Jill with her sisters. I'm glad they still keep in touch with her despite her being exiled from TTH. 

Also Jill is now IMO the most prettiest sister. Not in terms of face but her hair, clothes, makeup etc are all more flattering than Jessa/Joy/Jinger/Jana. 

• Love 11
On 10/15/2020 at 5:34 AM, floridamom said:

So, if humans and dinosaurs existed together, as they believe, how is it that dinosaurs became extinct and humans continued on? Do they believe that either a giant meteor hit the earth and exploded or sudden climate change (ice age) hit? Still, how is it that humans survived? These people really need to answer those valid questions. 

How do they explain that? 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

Noah thought they could swim..... oops!  😬

Well maybe we should just say they aren't capable of coherent ideas or are bereft of critical thinking skills and leave it there, because we will just give ourselves a headache.

• Love 13
9 hours ago, Genevrier said:

Suspiciously Normal, maybe? 

Yes! Jill & Derick Dillard: Still Fundy, but Suspiciously Normal

I was taught that dinosaurs were too heavy for the ark, so they all died in the flood. This works if you don't believe in evolution.

I was punished continuing to ask questions, like how did Noah gather penguins, how did he keep the predators from eating all the other animals, if the ark only took 2 of each animal what did they feed the carnivores, and the one that made all the adults the maddest, why would god drown babies? 

Edited by Nysha
  • Useful 1
  • Love 21

This is Jill who used to eat in the bathroom to hang onto her food.  Obviously once again growing up Duggar causes one to do things a little bit differently.

10 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Okay, this is one of my biggest hang-ups. Food does not belong in the bathroom, EVER. Sorry, I just feel very strongly about this.

• Love 6
27 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

gsv0bio2bit51.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

v1rr7yrsait51.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Off topic for a quick question... Does turkey bacon taste like the real thing?

15 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Okay, this is one of my biggest hang-ups. Food does not belong in the bathroom, EVER. Sorry, I just feel very strongly about this.

When Jill lived at the TTH she used to hide in the bathroom to eat, so I guess it’s never bothered her.

• Love 6

Picturing a 10 year old standing in the bathroom to eat the last piece of toast is sad. Seeing a picture of breakfast, on a sink, next to a make-up bag and in room where I imagine copious amounts of hair, is gross.

Either way, it has never, and will never, happen in my house.

• Love 12
22 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

Off topic for a quick question... Does turkey bacon taste like the real thing?

No! Turkey bacon is a crime against humanity. It taste like store-brand, fat-free bologna, they use food coloring to make it look like bacon, and you have to almost burn it to make it crisp.

• Useful 3
  • LOL 1
  • Love 19
6 hours ago, ozziemom said:

Turkey bacon is ok but to me, not as wonderfully delicious as real bacon. But good for the Dillards for making better health choices.

I cheat and cook the turkey bacon and regular bacon on a pan together in the oven so the turkey bacon gets real bacon grease soaked in as it cooks. It is a cost saver more than a health thing. Turkey bacon is much cheaper where I shop.

Edited by sleepysuzy
  • Useful 5

Turkey bacon is ok but now I'm eating tempeh bacon. I've even made carrot bacon which was a thing recently. Jill should keep trying to branch out but it's going to be baby steps. Tatertot tastes do not evolve quickly (oh I said that word).

Edited by Chicklet
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, Chicklet said:

Turkey bacon is ok but now I'm eating tempeh bacon. I've even made carrot bacon which was a thing recently. Jill should keep trying to branch out but it's going to be baby steps. Tatertot tastes do not evolve quickly (oh I said that word).

But I've now seen broccoli tots, broccoli and cheese tots, and cauliflower tots, so she can evolve there, too.

• Love 5

I don't mind turkey bacon, but I also don't understand people's obsession with bacon in general. I'd rather eat sausage any day. Was surprised to see them eating turkey bacon. Wonder if they're doing it for health or budget reasons or if Jill still follows her family's no pork thing.  

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4