Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Message added by Scarlett45

The Politics Policy is still in effect- a participant's social media is not a method to circumvent the policy. Further postings of participant's social media discussing politics, political figures, political bodies etc will result in warnings. 

• Start Topic

Maybe Derick sought out JB because he was a wealthy Christian man with four single daughters. A trifecta of prayers, mission donation and a potential wife. Miss Cathy discouraged casual dating as well, although not in the same fashion as the Duggars.

It seems to me, the Dillards returned from the mission field, broke, busted and disgusted and blamed TLC and JB for all their woes. Instead of calling on prayer partners, they called on lawyers. Derick was able to go to Christian camp, they bought a house and seem to still have plenty of money to pay their bills.

So as Derick continues to piss and moan about the raw deal they got, I'd say they're doing pretty good considering out of six years of marriage, Derick had an actual job for about 12 months and they filmed part-time with TLC for about three years.

Maybe rather than looking at the other Duggar kidults, they should look around their young neighborhood and see how many need two working parents to make ends meet.

• Love 19

I still remember how surprised and disappointed I was, when Derick flat out lied on social media, way back in the day when the Dillards were leaving (one of their departures) for Danger America. They were recognized at Cross Church services that Sunday and (I assume) prayed over for success as missionaries. Derick posted a photo snapped of them during that recognition, and said they had been commissioned by the church as missionaries. Nope, they weren't. He had to back up fast from that claim because it wasn't true. 

I don't think he's evil. Hot-headed at times, yes. I think he went through a phase of very strong religious fervor in which he connected with JB and naively placed huge trust in him while taking a deep dive into JB's fundie world. I think JB lied to him about money, misrepresented his (JB's) daughters' educational levels, painted a rosy picture of life at the TTH, and expected Derick to fall in line like the first person to marry one of his kids (Anna) had done. I believe that almost from the first, Derick's life in Duggarland was one disappointment, problem, or crisis after another, and as some of us have said, Derick's anger at JB may be "officially" about money but it is wrapped in a lot of painful disillusionment and sense of betrayal.

And, because I know Derick has lied about one thing (the claim they were commissioned by the church when they weren't), I don't know what to believe about the money situation. I do believe he was lied to by JB (and probably Michelle) about money and the show, and had to bring in some big lawyer guns against JB, but I don't have a clue what the details were, and maybe never will.

Okay, I have one clue. When Jill and Derick bought their house, I found the property record online on the county website. I searched nine ways to Sunday and didn't find a deed of trust on the property which would have been filed if they had a mortgage on the house. And yes the house IIRC was titled in their names, not something cute like an LLC. Just a nice plain vanilla starter house in a new subdivision like millions of twenty-something couples buy all the time. [NOTE: I strongly believe that Derick's small-town (or small-city) cop dad who died of a heart attack and not in the line of duty, didn't leave a huge estate or big life insurance jackpot that would enable one of his two sons to buy a house free and clear a decade or so later, or that Cathy could spare six figures' worth of change to buy it for them.]

I don't know how much of Derick's religious fervor is in the past; he's certainly taking a mainstream career path and seems to no longer move in the Duggar/fundie world. He could have very conservative  (but not fundie) Southern Baptist beliefs sort of baked in by now that will never change very much. Or, he could be one of those idealistic types who responds to new influences and moves to new convictions. I kind of wish he would write his much-teased book, with details, after he's finished law school and passed the bar. Which OUGHT to teach him useful lessons of the consequences of libel and slander and temper his instinct to prevaricate. 

• Love 16

I'm not going to lie, I enjoy Jill's Instagram stories.  They're kind of cute and I notice she has a bit of variety in them.  Food recipes, outings with the kids, play dates,  cute kid activity packages (the election ones look fun).

She isn't an influencer, yet she seems genuine and not at all putting on a performance.  So ironically I could see people possibly checking out things she's talking about because she seems sincere and not at all acting like an influencer.

I guess my snark is reserved for only Jessa lol

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
7 hours ago, not you again said:

Did anyone click on the Tibetan soup or Greek pasta salad recipes?  Because I'd love the recipe but am not very familiar with Instagram.  Also, not sure if clicking on them = money for the Dillards.

Here’s the Greek pasta salad recipe:

EA3C5EE3-3E5C-40CA-9F32-9512483B296C.jpeg

916C0A0C-525E-42CF-9B13-225584A26A70.jpeg

CADC3F24-EA76-4971-BD98-3BFCB9EBA3C9.jpeg

• Love 3

I was surprised one of them got an "I Voted" sticker. I am a poll worker in my county (which is a different county from them), and when I worked early voting last week, we were told there would be no "I Voted" stickers to give out to people this year. Had been under the impression that was true across Arkansas. But maybe my county is just flaky. 🤷‍♀️

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
Just now, Genevrier said:

It is a county-by-county thing in my state. My county hasn’t given them out in years, for budget reasons, but I know some counties do.

We were told it was specifically pandemic-related. But it could still be a county by county decision on that. 

10 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

When did Derick "announce" Sam's name on Instagram? That's when we all speculated something was brewing because the Duggars don't announce the grandkids names before the birth (generally).

I’m pretty sure I remember Jill hashtagging the name #samuelscottdillard before he was born. Sometime around the bizarre large mismatched baby clothes scavenger hunt gender reveal. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
58 minutes ago, awaken said:

I’m pretty sure I remember Jill hashtagging the name #samuelscottdillard before he was born. Sometime around the bizarre large mismatched baby clothes scavenger hunt gender reveal. 

Yeah I think Derick spilled the beans before Sam's birth and Jill started hashtagging. Because I'm pretty sure the medical bill debacle was over Israel and not Sam. 

In retrospect that whole gender reveal episode and how less than enthusiastic the Dillards were during filming makes sense. It came off as they were disappointed Sam was a boy at the time. Now they seem they were just doing the bare minimum for the show. 

I don't think we'll ever know the full extent of when the relationship broke down or how it broke down. I could go back and compile but uh... I think I have a day job and all that noise...

• Love 7
14 hours ago, Zella said:

I was surprised one of them got an "I Voted" sticker. I am a poll worker in my county (which is a different county from them), and when I worked early voting last week, we were told there would be no "I Voted" stickers to give out to people this year. Had been under the impression that was true across Arkansas. But maybe my county is just flaky. 🤷‍♀️

We normally get "I Voted" stickers, but this year, we were given pens that said "I Voted".  You used the pen to fill out your ballot, and then kept the pen.  At least in a year with a pandemic, I liked not having to use a pen that who knows how many people had touched.  I don't live in Arkansas, but I do live in a state that has absolutely no state wide restrictions, so I'm always pleasantly surprised when I see anything that even slightly acknowledges the need to be more careful.

I'm glad the Dillard's voted, and glad the actual post was politically neutral.  

• Love 10
1 hour ago, MonicaM said:

We normally get "I Voted" stickers, but this year, we were given pens that said "I Voted".  You used the pen to fill out your ballot, and then kept the pen.  At least in a year with a pandemic, I liked not having to use a pen that who knows how many people had touched.  I don't live in Arkansas, but I do live in a state that has absolutely no state wide restrictions, so I'm always pleasantly surprised when I see anything that even slightly acknowledges the need to be more careful.

I'm glad the Dillard's voted, and glad the actual post was politically neutral.  

Yeah we had styluses for everyone to sign the tablet and then use the voting machines, and I liked them. Some people were still pissy and wanted a sticker, though. 

Edited to add: Most AR voters I've seen doing the "I voted!" posts are posing with their styluses, so that's sort of what I just assumed the Dillards would do. Now I am desperately curious about the sticker situation in Arkansas! 😉 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 3

Funny thing. I always vote after work and the stickers are always gone. During the primary a poll worker gave me a sticker and I was like wow, I actually got one. He took another sticker, wrote my name on the back and put it in his wallet to save for me when I voted in November. Well due to the pandemic, I voted early. I did get a sticker and it even says I voted early. Unfortunately I won't be seeing the nice gentleman in November.

A few more days and voting will be closed. Hopefully soon after that, the election can be put behind us.

One thing Jill does, is vote regularly. I'm guessing the rest of the Duggar crew does as well. JB and M have given birth to God's army and American voters. Part of their plan.

• Love 4
16 hours ago, Zella said:

They ran out when I early voted on Sunday. 😌 I wanted one!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 1

Israel is the cutest child. He’s a gangly little thing, but he always seems so kindhearted and bright. I’ve always had a soft spot for him and doubt I’m the only one. I hope he’s having a blast in kindergarten and that life treats him well. 

Jill wondering around a field recounting not especially lovely childhood memories with a brittle expression on her face...  uncomfortable and a bit depressing. I figure she’s trying to work some things out, and I get that impulse, but... I doubt that left her in bright spirits for the rest of the day. I only watched the first couple minutes, though, so maybe I’m misreading.

• Love 18

I only jumped through the video, but how odd. Her current church shares a property line with the land her house was on. She actually added a couple of seconds to the video, with Derick, 5 weeks later. Pre-pandemic she must have seen the land weekly.

Izzy, best be careful - he picked up a pecan and put it into his pocket.

• LOL 12

Jill being so relaxed about covid now, makes me think she was around some Bates, or someone else who had covid, a while back.

I believe she posted about 'symptoms' and going for covid testing twice within a period of a week. And here they are a few months later, inhaling and exhaling in a public space with no masks, and touching a possibly contaminated masks. 

Like @DangerousMinds said, with folks like J & D, we're all doomed.

• Love 7
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

That's not how this works. If they're walking around with asymptomatic covid, they're now spreading their germs. Or they could be breathing in infected air, and they have two kids to take care of.

This why this virus is raging out of control.

Fuck you Jill and fuck you Derick.

If I got paid a dollar every time someone pulled their mask down to speak to me I could probably quit working. 

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, Zella said:

The smug looks on their faces when they're doing that makes me want to throat-punch the both of them. 

I cannot stand them. I've disliked both of them from the moment they each appeared on screen and they've yet to prove me wrong in my initial assessments.

• Love 9
9 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I only jumped through the video, but how odd. Her current church shares a property line with the land her house was on. She actually added a couple of seconds to the video, with Derick, 5 weeks later. Pre-pandemic she must have seen the land weekly.

Izzy, best be careful - he picked up a pecan and put it into his pocket.

Izzy- the next Pecan Thief!

He'd better have a good talk with David Waller.

• LOL 9

Spoiler

Preschool Homeschool Curriculum

Nov 2, 2020 | Family Blog | 0 

I’ve had many people ask which curriculum we use for at-home preschool and early kindergarten learning! I was doing some school play with Samuel earlier and thought I’d snap some pictures to share a peek into some of my favorite curricula. 

Honestly, I kind of use a hodgepodge of things right now. Some are the same things my mom used when homeschooling my siblings and me, and other things I’ve found on my own or have been recommended by friends. There are so many great curriculums that it’s hard for me not to want to try them all! 

I don’t use all of these every day. I just try to keep it fun and not push them too much early on so we both don’t get burned out, especially if we’re starting pretty young. And even though Israel is currently in kindergarten at the local public school, we still supplement his learning with some of these fun games and books too! 

“Teach Your Child To Ready In 100 Easy Lessons” by Siegfried Engelmann. This book is a favorite and is so easy to use and super cheap too! It’s easy for little ones to learn to sound out letters and builds confidence as they begin to read right at the start! My mom used this with several of my siblings and I used it with Israel and have just started with Samuel!

Sing-Spell-Read-And-Write Preschool and Kindergarten KitsThese kits are great for teaching phonics and have lots of fun games, easy reader books and songs to help the child learn. The complete sets are kinda pricey, but worth it if you’re planning to homeschool or want your child to have a solid base before starting kindergarten. 

Preschool Prep DVDs. I first heard about these from my sister-in-law, Anna, and they’re so great! Sam usually watches one a day and stays pretty focused. They’re great at teaching and reinforcing letter sounds and teaching sight words. When we had a DVD player in our last family car I just kept the DVDs in there and would turn them on anytime we wanted to let them watch something. 

Math-U-See primary book & DVD + manipulatives block set (their skip counting/multiplication tables cd & music book are great too!). This set is a little pricy too, but great if you’re planning to homeschool for more than one child or grade, since you can reuse the instruction manuals, dvd & manipulatives set with the higher grades too!

Abeka preschool workbooks are great for teaching letters and numbers. Sam loves to glue beans or corn kernels to each new letter on the page. The Abeka curriculum is popular in Christian schools and they even have an online accredited homeschool academy with DVD and streaming options! Several of my friends use this for their young kids and love it. 

Chore Packs have been a fun way for the boys to see what is next on their to-do list! My mom used this idea with the little kids when I lived at home so I just made my own for our boys once they were old enough. I number some of the laminated cards and then others I don’t number but just rearrange daily. We have fun with them and even put stuff like “breakfast” on there just so they have an opportunity to switch it out. (Yes, I’m one of “those” people who will write things on my to-do list just to cross it off!  )

Busy Toddler Susie (former teacher and the creator of Busy Toddler) has so many fun ideas for learning through hands on play and activities! Check her out on her blog or instagram (@busytoddler) and you won’t be disappointed! 

Library visits! Ok, this one isn’t really a specific curriculum…but pre-covid, we’d be at the library checking out books and participating in events at least once a week. Encouraging kids to read (or helping them find their favorite subjects for you to read to them!) and explore areas they’re interested in is huge in keeping their excited fire burning + it’s free (or nearly free after the cheap annual fee)! 

Other homeschool curriculums and helpful resources I’ve used or remember my mom using for various grades include but are not limited to: Alpha Omega (online and/or textbooks), Teaching Textbooks,Accelerated Christian Education(A.C.E.), Bob Jones (yeah, we had the satellite back in the day…lol), Answers in Genesis, BOB Books(early readers), Moody Science, God’s Design for Sex series, Teachers Pay Teachers (free teaching resources and printables!), etc. 

Bottom line…whether you’re a supplemental homeschooler who sends their kids to traditional school during the day, or a textbook structured homeschooler teaching your kids at home, or you take more of the Charlotte Mason “unschooling” approach to homeschooling, giving our kids the education they deserve is important for their future! I found this article helpful in discussing things to think about when selecting a curriculum for your child while keeping in mind your own style and their specific learning needs. Also keep in mind that it really does take a village to raise a child. So while we are given the blessing of choosing how to educate our kids (and that can be overwhelming at times!), it’s also important to build a community of positive support around you! Not only for your child, but for you too! Having great support allows you to give your child the best love and care they need from you…their greatest supporter and encourager, their parent! It also allows them to have trusted support close by when they grow into individuals and at times need to rely on someone else for support. Oh, and “to everything there is a season,” so what works right now might not later…flexibility and change can be good things! Don’t be too hard on yourself. 

Are you a homeschooling parent or teacher? What are some of your favorite curriculums, resources, and tips? Let us know in the comments below! 

Put in “spoiler” because it’s long. Jill’s preschool homeschool curriculum.

• Love 1
24 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Hide contents

Preschool Homeschool Curriculum

Nov 2, 2020 | Family Blog | 0 

I’ve had many people ask which curriculum we use for at-home preschool and early kindergarten learning! I was doing some school play with Samuel earlier and thought I’d snap some pictures to share a peek into some of my favorite curricula. 

Honestly, I kind of use a hodgepodge of things right now. Some are the same things my mom used when homeschooling my siblings and me, and other things I’ve found on my own or have been recommended by friends. There are so many great curriculums that it’s hard for me not to want to try them all! 

I don’t use all of these every day. I just try to keep it fun and not push them too much early on so we both don’t get burned out, especially if we’re starting pretty young. And even though Israel is currently in kindergarten at the local public school, we still supplement his learning with some of these fun games and books too! 

“Teach Your Child To Ready In 100 Easy Lessons” by Siegfried Engelmann. This book is a favorite and is so easy to use and super cheap too! It’s easy for little ones to learn to sound out letters and builds confidence as they begin to read right at the start! My mom used this with several of my siblings and I used it with Israel and have just started with Samuel!

Sing-Spell-Read-And-Write Preschool and Kindergarten KitsThese kits are great for teaching phonics and have lots of fun games, easy reader books and songs to help the child learn. The complete sets are kinda pricey, but worth it if you’re planning to homeschool or want your child to have a solid base before starting kindergarten. 

Preschool Prep DVDs. I first heard about these from my sister-in-law, Anna, and they’re so great! Sam usually watches one a day and stays pretty focused. They’re great at teaching and reinforcing letter sounds and teaching sight words. When we had a DVD player in our last family car I just kept the DVDs in there and would turn them on anytime we wanted to let them watch something. 

Math-U-See primary book & DVD + manipulatives block set (their skip counting/multiplication tables cd & music book are great too!). This set is a little pricy too, but great if you’re planning to homeschool for more than one child or grade, since you can reuse the instruction manuals, dvd & manipulatives set with the higher grades too!

Abeka preschool workbooks are great for teaching letters and numbers. Sam loves to glue beans or corn kernels to each new letter on the page. The Abeka curriculum is popular in Christian schools and they even have an online accredited homeschool academy with DVD and streaming options! Several of my friends use this for their young kids and love it. 

Chore Packs have been a fun way for the boys to see what is next on their to-do list! My mom used this idea with the little kids when I lived at home so I just made my own for our boys once they were old enough. I number some of the laminated cards and then others I don’t number but just rearrange daily. We have fun with them and even put stuff like “breakfast” on there just so they have an opportunity to switch it out. (Yes, I’m one of “those” people who will write things on my to-do list just to cross it off!  )

Busy Toddler Susie (former teacher and the creator of Busy Toddler) has so many fun ideas for learning through hands on play and activities! Check her out on her blog or instagram (@busytoddler) and you won’t be disappointed! 

Library visits! Ok, this one isn’t really a specific curriculum…but pre-covid, we’d be at the library checking out books and participating in events at least once a week. Encouraging kids to read (or helping them find their favorite subjects for you to read to them!) and explore areas they’re interested in is huge in keeping their excited fire burning + it’s free (or nearly free after the cheap annual fee)! 

Other homeschool curriculums and helpful resources I’ve used or remember my mom using for various grades include but are not limited to: Alpha Omega (online and/or textbooks), Teaching Textbooks,Accelerated Christian Education(A.C.E.), Bob Jones (yeah, we had the satellite back in the day…lol), Answers in Genesis, BOB Books(early readers), Moody Science, God’s Design for Sex series, Teachers Pay Teachers (free teaching resources and printables!), etc. 

Bottom line…whether you’re a supplemental homeschooler who sends their kids to traditional school during the day, or a textbook structured homeschooler teaching your kids at home, or you take more of the Charlotte Mason “unschooling” approach to homeschooling, giving our kids the education they deserve is important for their future! I found this article helpful in discussing things to think about when selecting a curriculum for your child while keeping in mind your own style and their specific learning needs. Also keep in mind that it really does take a village to raise a child. So while we are given the blessing of choosing how to educate our kids (and that can be overwhelming at times!), it’s also important to build a community of positive support around you! Not only for your child, but for you too! Having great support allows you to give your child the best love and care they need from you…their greatest supporter and encourager, their parent! It also allows them to have trusted support close by when they grow into individuals and at times need to rely on someone else for support. Oh, and “to everything there is a season,” so what works right now might not later…flexibility and change can be good things! Don’t be too hard on yourself. 

Are you a homeschooling parent or teacher? What are some of your favorite curriculums, resources, and tips? Let us know in the comments below! 

Put in “spoiler” because it’s long. Jill’s preschool homeschool curriculum.

My goodness. Jill does realize young kids learn just by existing, right?

• Love 9

I had to stop reading at this "“Teach Your Child To Ready In 100 Easy Lessons” by Siegfried Engelmann.

I laughed and wondered how you teach a child to "Ready"  - timed drills to get dressed, get shoes and coats and get in the car???

• LOL 13
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, emmawoodhouse said:

The library trips surprised me. I'm glad to see she utilized their services.

She usee to post pics of the boys at the library.   Many conservative Christian homeschoolers utilize the library and its programs.   I believe this is Dericks influence, since he was not as sheltered.   Like Jill says, it's free and a great place for your kids to meet with other kids.  In my experience as a librarian,  the local public library takes on the character of its patrons.   If the library is primarily used by people like Jill, then books like And Tango Makes Three  are either not in the collection or hidden on the shelves.   

• Useful 2
  • Love 10

I love Izzy too. He always looks like such a bright, sensitive, serious child. It saddens me that Jill seems to favor Sam so much more but I'm glad Izzy is going to school. Hope he makes lots of friends and I bet the teachers love him.

• Love 18
5 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

She usee to post pics of the boys at the library.   Many conservative Christian homeschoolers utilize the library and its programs.   I believe this is Dericks influence, since he was not as sheltered.   Like Jill says, it's free and a great place for your kids to meet with other kids.  In my experience as a librarian,  the local public library takes on the character of its patrons.   If the library is primarily used by people like Jill, then books like And Tango Makes Three  are either not in the collection or hidden on the shelves. 

I remember her frequently posting about them at the library, but I also remember they were never pictured with any BOOKS! It seemed like she'd take the kids there to run around while she got coffee with a "sweet friend," but I never remember any talk of reading or books (or really them participating in the programming for kids tbh). I'm glad they were checking out books because going to the library was my FAVORITE thing when I was a kid and I think all kids should get exposure to that. But it never seemed like that's what they were doing from what she shared on Instagram.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, Girl in a Cardigan said:

I remember her frequently posting about them at the library, but I also remember they were never pictured with any BOOKS! It seemed like she'd take the kids there to run around while she got coffee with a "sweet friend," but I never remember any talk of reading or books (or really them participating in the programming for kids tbh). I'm glad they were checking out books because going to the library was my FAVORITE thing when I was a kid and I think all kids should get exposure to that. But it never seemed like that's what they were doing from what she shared on Instagram.

I can't imagine Jill taking both boys to the library as much as she showed on the Gram without checking out some books.  I want to say that the boys have a book shelf at home as well.  Jill has not posted pictures of Derick reading to the boys like Jessa does, but I bet someone has been in their household.  Most of those homeschooling programs she is using with Sam depend upon the parent having a huge stack of books at the ready.  The only way for parents to accomplish this is to use their local public library.  I have multiple parents at my little branch who homeschool and they check out 20+ books every week on a subject.  

• Love 7
10 hours ago, ouinason said:

So, Jill's outing her parents for having a Satellite and using the TV to help school their children.

Interesting. And all this time we thought it was just Meech standing there talking about finance and saying "perp - en-dic-u-lar. 

• LOL 8