Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Nysha said:

I don't JB cares anymore about Jill & Derick's personal life. He's pretty much wrote them off as a lost cause. I think what's making his head spin is that they disclosed hiring a lawyer and getting money for Jill's time on TLC. This disclosure makes him look like a scoundrel or thief.  Not only did he side with the Sex Pest instead of his victimized daughters, he's also pocketing the money made from filming his children's lives. Even if they're getting houses, cars, and whatever, he controls the purse strings and his adult children. He's not coming off a very good father, let alone a good christian.

Yep. It might bother Meech more that Jill has disobeyed but I'm doubtful JB cares. Once he handed Jill off to Derick, she was under Derick's umbrella to do as he pleased. 

He's probably more upset over the money than anything else. I can imagine things are tense between JB and Michelle and JB and some of the kids for wanting to stay in contact with Jill. Michelle was a shit mother to Jill, but is still her mother. It looks like Michelle is actively trying to stay a part of Jill's life whereas her father has peaced out. 

I now believe it when Derick said Jill wanted to stop filming after the InTouch article came out but felt pressured to keep going.

I do wonder which of the siblings still keep in touch with Jill. We know Jessa for sure.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

Does anyone want to do a Cliffs Notes version for me? Had kind of a long day and am too tired to brain. I gather birth control and moolah were mentioned. I will not give you birth control or moolah for your efforts, but I will offer gratitude and eternal affection. 🙂 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Jessa is only visiting to make herself look better.

Ehhh... As much as Jessa is vain, I don't think the visits are that calculating. They have kids close in age and were kind of pushed together when Counting On started due to being the two married daughters. Now that Jinger is all the way in fancy LA, I imagine Jessa is finding herself mighty isolated. Jana doesn't strike me as the type that would entertain being besties with Jessa.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Zella said:

Does anyone want to do a Cliffs Notes version for me? Had kind of a long day and am too tired to brain. I gather birth control and moolah were mentioned. I will not give you birth control or moolah for your efforts, but I will offer gratitude and eternal affection. 🙂 

I still haven't watched, so all I know is from the previous posts. They use non-hormonal birth control, lawyers were involved in getting Jill TLC back pay from JB and Derick will use correct pronouns when face to face with trans folks.

• Love 2

Ehhh... As much as Jessa is vain, I don't think the visits are that calculating. They have kids close in age and were kind of pushed together when Counting On started due to being the two married daughters. Now that Jinger is all the way in fancy LA, I imagine Jessa is finding herself mighty isolated. Jana doesn't strike me as the type that would entertain being besties with Jessa.

I think Jessa has a lot of power in the family right now as the main attraction on Counting On. I think Jessa probably enjoys spending time with Jill, and I get the feeling that more than the other girls, Jessa does what she wants.

Do Jill and Derick get money for the Question and Answer videos? I can't think of any other reason Jill would be putting so much out there.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, Kellyee said:

Do Jill and Derick get money for the Question and Answer videos? I can't think of any other reason Jill would be putting so much out there.

When answering a question about money, they did mention YouTube as a source of income.

• Useful 7
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

When answering a question about money, they did mention YouTube as a source of income.

And that as why I refuse  to watch their videos and just get the info secondhand, because I'll be damned if I give them any clicks.

9 hours ago, Zella said:

From what I've read here and on reddit, they use non-hormonal birth control because they still believe that hormonal bc causes abortions (and she doubled down on instagram when corrected, insisting that it causes her mother and others to miscarry); they still think LGBTQ is sinful but they'd totally be nice to trans people face to face; when they left the show they got a lawyer to get Jill backpay for her years on the show, the equivalent of minimum wage or less, though I'm not sure if they specify that it was JB or TLC that coughed up the money. 

• Love 9

A lot of people think that the hormones in birth control cause miscarriages, birth defects and infertility.  It's nonsense, but it's common nonsense.  I have an aunt who refuses to believe that anything other than being on birth control for the first few months of her last pregnancy caused her daughter to have mental and physical handicaps.  It's not true, but she won't let it go.

• Love 3

Thanks for the update, @GeeGolly and @lascuba

I'm side-eying his pronoun claim pretty hard. The money thing would definitely explain some of the hard feelings in the family. is that how he's funding law school? If so, I think that is kind of shitty. That money should be Jill's, not his. Using it for the house wouldn't bother me. I'm glad they are using birth control. I really don't think these 2 need any more children. 

• Love 12
19 minutes ago, ouinason said:

A lot of people think that the hormones in birth control cause miscarriages, birth defects and infertility.  It's nonsense, but it's common nonsense.

Would Derick have gotten any sex ed in public school growing up?

Like @ouinason says, this is pretty common bullshit. We all know that Jill has had no sex ed or health education, but this actually makes me wonder if Derick ever did, either.

I personally prefer barrier methods and think it's completely fine if others do, too! But repeating old wives' tales as fact does sort of make me worry about where they're getting their health/sex ed information.

• Love 4

And that as why I refuse  to watch their videos and just get the info secondhand, because I'll be damned if I give them any clicks.

I am totally willing to support Jill making money on videos where she advertises how she escaped Jim Bob and forced him to pay her her fair share of earnings from the show. I bet these confessional videos are making a bunch of cash, and that's why there have been 3 in such a short amount of time.

• Love 9
25 minutes ago, rue721 said:

Like @ouinason says, this is pretty common bullshit. We all know that Jill has had no sex ed or health education, but this actually makes me wonder if Derick ever did, either.

I personally prefer barrier methods and think it's completely fine if others do, too! But repeating old wives' tales as fact does sort of make me worry about where they're getting their health/sex ed information.

Most American public schools barely teach girls about the pill let alone boys.  There is also the possibility that he was taught abstinence-only as well.  He would have learned how pregnancy happens, not how to prevent it.  The average American has no idea how the pill works.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, lascuba said:

when they left the show they got a lawyer to get Jill backpay for her years on the show, the equivalent of minimum wage or less, though I'm not sure if they specify that it was JB or TLC that coughed up the money. 

I think it was JB. I'd be surprised if TLC doesn't have iron-clad bulletproof contracts with its reality show participants, that protect it from monetary claims like Jill's. There's almost certainly a clause or two where JB indemnifies TLC against any and all claims against it arising from his and his family's participation in the show.

I also doubt that TLC is publicity-shy, especially if it's about money and not sexual assault. Any buzz this story creates will just be gravy for TLC: free publicity for one of its longest-running shows.  I'm sure they know there are plenty of hate-watchers as well as leghumpers in those ratings numbers. So what if JB comes off as a bad guy? The show's supposed to be about the family in general and not just him. He's not even officially the star anymore.

• Love 9
33 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

Most American public schools barely teach girls about the pill let alone boys.  There is also the possibility that he was taught abstinence-only as well.  He would have learned how pregnancy happens, not how to prevent it.  The average American has no idea how the pill works.

It kinda depends, but Arkansas is a lot more conservative than other places in the US, so Derick might've learned abstinence only since that is the one thing conservative Christians find acceptable.  Here in Ohio, way back in the 70's; we had a speaker from Planned Parenthood come out to discuss reproduction including methods of birth control.  She used a banana to demonstrate how to apply a condom and I remember her passing a diaphragm and a pack of pills and a tube of spermicide around the room so people could see them up close.  Boys and girls had separate lectures, but they got the same speaker and the same info.

Even if Derick doesn't think the pill causes miscarriages, he isn't the one who would have to take it.  I see a lot of women, from middle class homes and decent educations, who have all sorts of notions about the pill and won't be dissuaded.  If Jill has been taught all her life that the pill will cause her to miscarry; it is going to be pretty tough for her to accept that it doesn't.

As for people believing in science; look at all the baloney out there about the pandemic and vaccinations.  There are a lot of people in this world, including many with far more education and experience than Jill, who believe things that have been scientifically debunked.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Useful 2
  • Love 12

Taking away the exploitation part ... because we all know JB and TLC weren't going there.

When Derick say minimum wage, what does he expect? She was one child of 19 and a minor. What does he think Jill should have been paid? Other than babysitting, most kids start working at part-time, entry level jobs between ages14 & 16 and are paid minimum wage. It wasn't like she was Shirley Temple or even Jerry Mathers, who actually worked by memorizing scripts in addition to singing and acting. 

I'm guessing the adults who are still on the show now probably make at most $15,000 a season, with 2 seasons a year equaling about $30,000. And that's for part-time work so it equals more than minimum wage.

How much did Derick and Jill say she was paid?

• Love 4
26 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Even if Derick doesn't think the pill causes miscarriages, he isn't the one who would have to take it.  I see a lot of women, from middle class homes and decent educations, who have all sorts of notions about the pill and won't be dissuaded.  If Jill has been taught all her life that the pill will cause her to miscarry; it is going to be pretty tough for her to accept that it doesn't.

I used the pill until my spouse decided to have a vasectomy.  I am not sure what we would have done once I hit 35.  I don’t smoke, but my sister did and she was told not to take the pill  after she turned 35.   Hormones are medication.  It affects things.  I can see where it might cause birth defects / other medications do.  Just like post menopausal women are getting told two different stories about taking estrogen. 

Edited by mythoughtis
  • Love 2

I am curious if they only went after Counting On pay or did Jill and Jessa get that directly not via JB?  I seem to recall when the whole Josh the molester thing came out causing the show to be canceled, there was talk about Jill and Jessa getting contracts for Counting On.  CO was based on them and gradually brought in other adult children as they started marrying and birthing.  I don't recall how many seasons Jill was in CO before they left the show.  So she and Jessa should have been getting a higher salary but if it went to the Duggar franchise via JB, he may have not been giving them their portion of salary since he was providing housing etc.  Yeah this is the real story, would really like to know more about it.  Someday it will all unravel, hope that is sooner than later. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I wonder if Jill and Derick had to pay taxes on that money?  

I’m no accountant, but I would think that JB has already paid taxes on it, so it wouldn’t be taxable twice, would it? 🤔 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

I’m no accountant, but I would think that JB has already paid taxes on it, so it wouldn’t be taxable twice, would it? 🤔 

It would depend on who cut the check to Jill.  If it was TLC or some sort of Duggar LLC, then I believe this backpay would be taxable.  If it is hush money from JB, then no if under a certain amount.  I am surprised that Jill and Derick mentioned it at all.  

• Love 2
3 hours ago, rue721 said:

Belief in evangelical Christianity seems to cancel out legitimate education. See: evolution.

3 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

Didn't Jill study midwifery?  I would think she would have learned some things with that line of coursework.

Jill "studied" lay midwifery which is apprenticeship based and has no science education background.

3 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I think it was JB. I'd be surprised if TLC doesn't have iron-clad bulletproof contracts with its reality show participants, that protect it from monetary claims like Jill's. There's almost certainly a clause or two where JB indemnifies TLC against any and all claims against it arising from his and his family's participation in the show.

I also doubt that TLC is publicity-shy, especially if it's about money and not sexual assault. Any buzz this story creates will just be gravy for TLC: free publicity for one of its longest-running shows.  I'm sure they know there are plenty of hate-watchers as well as leghumpers in those ratings numbers. So what if JB comes off as a bad guy? The show's supposed to be about the family in general and not just him. He's not even officially the star anymore.

The reason I doubt this is because TLC has always been protective of the "bumbling weirdos but ultimately harmless" image they've created for the Duggars. Even after the sex abuse scandal, they hesitated to cancel 19K and when they did, CO was announced shortly afterwards, which tells me that they never actually considered cancelling the show. I can see them receiving a letter from Jill's lawyer and immediately offering a settlement to avoid official news stories about exploitation of children or something. It's also possible that they put pressure of JB to pay with the threat of cancellation, but I think JB and the rest of the world knows that would be an empty threat.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, PikaScrewChu said:

She could hang out with Kendra, Lauren or Abbie? I mean all they talk about is babies and pregnancy anyway. What’s she talking to Jill about? 

Edited by FizzyPuff
  • Love 4
33 minutes ago, FizzyPuff said:

She could hang out with Kendra, Lauren or Abbie? I mean all they talk about is babies and pregnancy anyway. What’s she talking to Jill about? 

The time she got Jana's jewelry box when Jessa was the one in the wrong?

What software to use for YouTube videos?

How to make money because she's "too boring" for Counting On?

It seems like the daughters-in-law (minus Anna) interact with their families much more than the Duggars. I can see the rest just interacting with her for appearances or if they've all dumped their kids off at the TTH and happen to be there.

• Love 6

Jill’s telling Jessa how great orgasms are, because Jessa’s never had one.  I think that sex is nothing more than a chore to Jessa.  She has sex for one reason and one reason only, and we all know what that is.  JMHO

• Love 18
19 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

I think that sex is nothing more than a chore to Jessa.  She has sex for one reason and one reason only, and we all know what that is.  JMHO

The Rose Kennedy approach to marriage. I can see it.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Jessa Seewald: Joe the cameraman says hi.

Jill Dillard: Oh, tell him hi.

JS: Spurge is reciting 2 Bible verses a day.

JD: Yay!

JS: Meredith and Spurge are best friends and so are Ivy and Lissy. Its so wonderful to have a girl.

JD: After my Pina Colada the other night Derick and I had marathon sex. 

JS: Did I tell you Joe said hi?

You win!! 🥇 

Edited by farmgal4
No reason
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2
On 9/30/2020 at 12:31 PM, anna0852 said:

I so sincerely hope that Jim and Michelle are aware of every new thought and development and Jill's life. I really, really do. And I want someone to get it on camera when their heads flipping explode.

Yeah - one of the 19 is purposely NOT trying to have 19..and might actively enjoy having sex without worrying about a pregnancy.

They (JB/Mich) might actually be jealous....as they had to wait for menopause to get the same  sense of enjoyment....

Back to non-hormonal... vasectomy is on the list, right ?✂️

• Useful 2
  • LOL 3
  • Love 4
10 hours ago, sATL said:

Yeah - one of the 19 is purposely NOT trying to have 19..and might actively enjoy having sex without worrying about a pregnancy.

I think Jinger and Jeremy may have done this as well, regardless of what they choose to say in public. I realize they had a miscarriage in between #1 and #2, but one kid and one on the way in four years of marriage is slower than your average Duggar. Of the four primary J’Slaves, Jana declined to marry during her most fertile years. Jill and Jinger married educated men from small families who don’t seem to be in a hurry to have a football team of kids. OF THE FOUR OLDEST OF JIM BOB’S DAUGHTERS, only Jessa is 100% upholding the family’s purpose.

(Just to clarify, I’m not denying that Kendra, Joy, Anna, etc. will likely out-do Jessa. I was only commenting on the four original J’Slaves because their role within the Duggar family was different from the younger sisters and sisters-in-law.)

Edited by Panopticon
Obviously didn’t make myself clear
  • Love 11

I agree about Joy, but I don’t quite put her in the same category as her older sisters. She wasn’t thrust into full-on sister mom duties until Jill married, at which time she was already a teen and the family was used to TLC money.

Edited by Panopticon
Stupid punctuation.
  • Love 7

Agreed, but it's been noted that she's the most conservative of the older girls. I think that will be borne out in her reproduction. As long as Joy can continue to VBAC, I see the Forsyths having at least 8 kids.

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • Love 5
22 minutes ago, madpsych78 said:

What about condoms for non-hormonal birth control?

Jill didn’t mention specifics (which is her right duh), but I’d bet money they use condoms. 

1 hour ago, Panopticon said:

I think Jinger and Jeremy may have done this as well, regardless of what they choose to say in public. I realize they had a miscarriage in between #1 and #2, but one kid and one on the way in four years of marriage is slower than your average Duggar. Of the four primary J’Slaves, Jana declined to marry during her most fertile years. Jill and Jinger married educated men from small families who don’t seem to be in a hurry to have a football team of kids. Only Jessa is 100% upholding the family’s purpose.

I’m sure Jinger and Jeremy are using contraceptives as well. They may have 3-4 kids, and that’s it. I agree with you about Jessa- I see her puttering out around 6 though. 

Jill isn’t a cast member any more but she’s still their sister- I’m sure they talk about this stuff. I’ve found most women do among sisters and close friends. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Panopticon said:

I think Jinger and Jeremy may have done this as well, regardless of what they choose to say in public. I realize they had a miscarriage in between #1 and #2, but one kid and one on the way in four years of marriage is slower than your average Duggar. Of the four primary J’Slaves, Jana declined to marry during her most fertile years. Jill and Jinger married educated men from small families who don’t seem to be in a hurry to have a football team of kids. Only Jessa is 100% upholding the family’s purpose.

Anna seems to be on a good run. Waiting to see if Jessa will overtake her. If one of them would have twins...or more....🤔

Edited by sATL

Only Jessa is 100% upholding the family’s purpose.

At the current rate, Kendra will overtake Jessa in the breeding race in no time. And I'm betting Anna will be announcing another pregnancy within the next 6 months. Jinger totally used birth control during her first year of marriage. They just weren't vocal about it. No way is Jeremy having 19 kids. I think Jinger and Jeremy are pretty similar to Jill and Derick in what they're doing. Jinger and Jeremy are just keeping it to themselves and continuing to film and participate for the money it brings in, while living as far away from Jim Bob as possible. 

• Love 11