Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, louannems said:

Can someone explain why at least five girls were all wearing the same style black/white swim suit?

Immodest Fundies?

Maybe their code word is Speedo.

• LOL 3

Jill did an Instagram live video last night and they’re still in that weird little apartment- ??? And no explanation of why or where it is. 

She was live-streaming Dreck and Israel watching knee surgery on a laptop - a YouTube video. And she kept giggling about it, like that was just the darnedest thing. Chortling, asking Israel if he wanted to be an astronaut or a surgeon. Cuz they also watched something about the moon landing. Jill just giggling, seemingly amazed that this is what they were doing.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, dariafan said:

It’s only a problem marrying your prison pen pal if they get out ... lifers ... you can pretend they are anybody.  You do t have to see them everyday.  You know where they are

And they write such beautiful, sensitive letters.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
(edited)
1 hour ago, OpieTaylor said:

Jill just giggling, seemingly amazed that this is what they were doing.

This is a major sign of insecurity.  It reminds me of a friend who would giggle at anything she didn't understand or wasn't experienced with.  Had Jill ever been allowed to watch random videos about things that interested her, her parents would have shut it down in seconds.  Imagine how her mind processes this stuff.  

Edited by BigBingerBro
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Jill's poaching from Jessa's BFFs. This is the Tacos4Life girl.

Wow, she looks pregnant here! I didn't think she did in the video, but I see it here. It seems like if it were belly fat, it would be more all over, not just that low. Maybe it's the way she's standing, or perhaps she wants it to look that way! She could resent that Derick won't let her have another one any time soon, so having people think she's pregnant is the next best thing. 

Normally I would find it rude to point out someone's belly, but I'm not the one who has spouted the evils of birth control over and over, while claiming to have sex at least 3-4 times a week, whole lathering up in oils. 

Nor do I feel bad pointing out Jenny's stomach, because honestly, I think she has a food sensitivity issue that JB and Mechelle are either too dumb or selfish to help her with. She's skinny all over, but looks like she has a basketball under her shirt, and that's just not normal baby fat. Of course they are too ignorant to look into it, and it could probably be fixed with a simple solution, like avoiding certain inflammatory foods. Some people felt bad talking about it because she is a child, but it has nothing to do with looks. It's concerning!

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

Wow, she looks pregnant here! I didn't think she did in the video, but I see it here. It seems like if it were belly fat, it would be more all over, not just that low. Maybe it's the way she's standing, or perhaps she wants it to look that way! She could resent that Derick won't let her have another one any time soon, so having people think she's pregnant is the next best thing. 

Normally I would find it rude to point out someone's belly, but I'm not the one who has spouted the evils of birth control over and over, while claiming to have sex at least 3-4 times a week, whole lathering up in oils. 

Nor do I feel bad pointing out Jenny's stomach, because honestly, I think she has a food sensitivity issue that JB and Mechelle are either too dumb or selfish to help her with. She's skinny all over, but looks like she has a basketball under her shirt, and that's just not normal baby fat. Of course they are too ignorant to look into it, and it could probably be fixed with a simple solution, like avoiding certain inflammatory foods. Some people felt bad talking about it because she is a child, but it has nothing to do with looks. It's concerning!

One would think that Lauren, with her gluten issues, would look at Jenny and suggest that she may have the same problem.  But I doubt Lauren notices anyone else's issues- she is too focused on herself and the contents of her uterus.

• Love 13
(edited)
33 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

One would think that Lauren, with her gluten issues, would look at Jenny and suggest that she may have the same problem.  But I doubt Lauren notices anyone else's issues- she is too focused on herself and the contents of her uterus.

Absolutely!!!

ETA: at one point they thought Henry had a food intolerance...don't remember if he did. But Jessa should know about that too! However, she has the same issue as lauren, as she is rather, umm, self absorbed. 

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 6

Eh, she may just have crappy posture and/or a pooch. Pooch happens. We’re all just so used to seeing only public figures who have personal trainers, plastic surgery, eating disorders and Spanx that it’s easy to forget that lots of regular people pooch.

• Love 21
6 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

Jill did an Instagram live video last night and they’re still in that weird little apartment- ??? And no explanation of why or where it is. 

She was live-streaming Dreck and Israel watching knee surgery on a laptop - a YouTube video. And she kept giggling about it, like that was just the darnedest thing. Chortling, asking Israel if he wanted to be an astronaut or a surgeon. Cuz they also watched something about the moon landing. Jill just giggling, seemingly amazed that this is what they were doing.

Yes, where were they? Very strange. 

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Eh, she may just have crappy posture and/or a pooch. Pooch happens. We’re all just so used to seeing only public figures who have personal trainers, plastic surgery, eating disorders and Spanx that it’s easy to forget that lots of regular people pooch.

This is true. Many pubescent and pre-pubescent girls have a “pooch” before the hormones move the fat up and down. 

But if Jenny did have a food sensitivity etc I don’t think anyone would pay any attention to it unless she passed out from the pain. Jenny has always been the most lost of all the lost girls. 

@3 is enough Lauren is the last person I would expect to notice something about someone else. I don’t think she and Josiah spend that much time with the younger kids anyway. 

• Love 6
(edited)

From what Jill has said recently I don't think she is pregnant. I thought she was, but I was wrong. 

I also don't think she and Derick are preventing, based on the video they made where she made Derick admit that they could be pregnant by the end of the year. I think Jill is a big believer in the "Quiverfull" ideology. She put Psalm 127 in there house when they wrote bible verses on the exposed studs.

It seems possible that Jill has some secondary infertility problem. It's possible Derick has health issues that are contributing to a decline in fertility. It's possible that they just haven't been blessed yet.

I could see Derick not wanting to address any fertility issues, because he wants to slow/stop the baby train.

I partly thought Jill was pregnant after Anna shared a photo of Jill, Joy, and Anna all pregnant at the same time. The picture was from right before Sam was born.  Anna shared it months (May) ago with the caption "Wonder how many more announcements to come."  She seemed to be hinting Jill was pregnant and that seems mean to me. 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 2
19 hours ago, PradaKitty said:

At least Jill’s friend has brains enough to wear sunglasses while looking toward the sun! 

Jill hasn't figured out how sunglasses work yet.

• LOL 16
(edited)
2 hours ago, Temperance said:

From what Jill has said recently I don't think she is pregnant. I thought she was, but I was wrong. 

I also don't think she and Derick are preventing, based on the video they made where she made Derick admit that they could be pregnant by the end of the year. I think Jill is a big believer in the "Quiverfull" ideology. She put Psalm 127 in there house when they wrote bible verses on the exposed studs.

It seems possible that Jill has some secondary infertility problem. It's possible Derick has health issues that are contributing to a decline in fertility. It's possible that they just haven't been blessed yet.

I could see Derick not wanting to address any fertility issues, because he wants to slow/stop the baby train.

I partly thought Jill was pregnant after Anna shared a photo of Jill, Joy, and Anna all pregnant at the same time. The picture was from right before Sam was born.  Anna shared it months (May) ago with the caption "Wonder how many more announcements to come."  She seemed to be hinting Jill was pregnant and that seems mean to me. 

I think it's possible that they are preventing, but no birth control is 100% effective, and maybe they are just acknowledging that. I could absolutely see Jill pointing out that they could get pregnant that year if they are having sex at all, even if on birth control. Especially if she wants an accident to happen. There definitely is a gray area; every time I've seen the doctor when I've had sex in the past 2-3 months, I've said, "not to my knowledge" if they asked if I was pregnant, because I absolutely could be, though it's unlikely. 

And once I had a pregnancy scare, and I wasn't 100% convinced that I wasn't pregnant even 7-8 months later! So paranoid haha. Right after this guy and I broke up, my period just completely stopped, when it had been regular before. I had a lot going on at that point, and it was probably stress / change. I was probably taking more pregnancy tests during that time period than jill on her honeymoon!

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 7
(edited)
14 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

I think it's possible that they are preventing, but no birth control is 100% effective, and maybe they are just acknowledging that. I could absolutely see Jill pointing out that they could get pregnant that year if they are having sex at all, even if on birth control. Especially if she wants an accident to happen.

I don't know that Jill had that much forethought, honestly. Or knowledge of how birth control works, except for maybe the idea that condoms physically block sperm and without sperm meeting egg there is no baby. You'd be surprised at how many well educated people don't know how contraceptives work other than taking a pill or replacing a patch or ring. They don't really know what happens if you miss a dose or fudge the timing.

Derick might, but that would entail knowing how the female body works, which ... I doubt. The best I could see either of them doing is making sure she takes a pill at the same time every day, but Derick is gone enough that I'm not sure he could police that and I'm not sure Jill would remember or agree, at least not outside of "because my headship told me I have to".

It's much more likely, imho, that if they're preventing the best they're doing is keeping a lazy eye on the calendar and Jill is acknowledging that. Or maybe all the sex talk is actually because they're NOT having sex, but if they were there could be a baby.

Edited by McManda
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

She was live-streaming Dreck and Israel watching knee surgery on a laptop - a YouTube video. And she kept giggling about it, like that was just the darnedest thing.

Why on God's green earth would they let a 4 year old watch knee surgery?  It's positively gruesome.  Before I had my first knee replacement, the surgeon gave me a CD of the surgery so I could see what was involved.  I only made it a minute or two before I gave up.  I suppose if it was arthroscopic or minimally invasive surgery that wouldn't be as bloody, but still not suitable for a child.  These people don't seem to have any idea of what is age-appropriate for their children. 

• Love 20
4 hours ago, McManda said:

I don't know that Jill had that much forethought, honestly. Or knowledge of how birth control works, except for maybe the idea that condoms physically block sperm and without sperm meeting egg there is no baby. You'd be surprised at how many well educated people don't know how contraceptives work other than taking a pill or replacing a patch or ring. They don't really know what happens if you miss a dose or fudge the timing.

Just last week, a woman in her mid 20's told me she wanted a birth control pill that didn't have any hormones in it and was shocked when I told her it didn't exist.  I agree, Jill probably knows very little about contraception and, if they're using anything, it is probably a combination of condoms and timing.  As for Jill's remarks indicating that she could be pregnant before the year is out, maybe she is trying to convince Derick that it's time for another blessing and he should put the condoms away and she's holding out hope that he changes his mind.  Jill was raised to believe that a woman should be procreating almost constantly and I don't think she's likely to be able to abandon that idea no matter what else happens.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

Before my knee replacement my surgeon asked if I wanted to see a video.  I told him that I knew how the story ended and, as long as he'd seen the video, I was good.  I saw enough ortho in medical school, all that sawing, drilling, hammering and pounding, no way do I want to watch that!

I had an epidural for my hip replacement and I told the anesthesiologist that I didn't want to hear any of that 'carpentry sh**' and he should make sure I was snockered. I woke up at one point, commented on the noise and the last thing I remember was him picking up a syringe...

I imagine Israel was scared of the dinosaurs because Mommy and Daddy told him they used to chase little boys like him back 6000 years ago when they co-existed with man.  The Flintstones is a historical documentary to them.

I worked in radiology in a big hospital for 31 years.  My favorite thing was taking x-rays in surgery for orthopedics.  Those surgeons had the best and loudest music playing while they were drilling, sawing, hammering and pounding!

Also, those doctors were just fun.  Not gods like the neurosurgeons and cardiologists!

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 10
42 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

10 pictures :

I don’t understand. Is this a legitimate museum? Not a fundy interpretation like The Ark?  How will they reconcile it with their homefoolery?

• Love 10
1 hour ago, lookeyloo said:

I don’t understand. Is this a legitimate museum? Not a fundy interpretation like The Ark?  How will they reconcile it with their homefoolery?

One can only hope that they might have come to a less stringent interpretation of the Bible. I don't really know what the dogma of Dreck's church is regarding evolution and such, but there are lots of Christians out there with a whole spectrum of beliefs ranging from absolute, "the Bible says it, therefore it must be believed no matter what actual evidence may say"-ers who will tie themselves in knots before admitting to something like an Earth more than 6,00 years old to those who simply believe that God set everything in motion, but the findings of science are legitimate and the Bible is more parable and allegory than otherwise.

At least to my mind, it would take a lot less mental gymnastics to cling to the latter belief than the former, and many people seem to manage to take a slightly less stringent view over time until they either end up quite liberal or discard belief altogether. Of course, many only loosen up just a fraction, or not at all, but in general it does seem quite possible to reconcile almost any level of belief with the Bible if one is determined.

• Love 9
(edited)

The Amazeum is really cool and is a legitimate science museum for children! I'm actually shocked that Jill and Derick went. It's in Bentonville. They do a lot of outreach with local libraries, which is how I know them. 

If there is any sort if fundie tie, I'm not aware of it.

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 9
  • Love 4
5 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

On your last question,  I used to work with a pharmacist who despite his education was a young earth creationist.  It wouldn't surprise me if Derick has no problem educating Izzy about every form of science as long as evolution is not involved.   Never underestimate the hand waving a conservative Christian can do if the scientific facts do not align with their interpretation of the Bible. 

• Love 8
(edited)
35 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

On your last question,  I used to work with a pharmacist who despite his education was a young earth creationist.  It wouldn't surprise me if Derick has no problem educating Izzy about every form of science as long as evolution is not involved.   Never underestimate the hand waving a conservative Christian can do if the scientific facts do not align with their interpretation of the Bible. 

If nothing else, at this point, Izzy can't read well enough to read the displays at this museum (and with Jill educating him, who knows if he ever will).  So, what he knows about dinosaurs is completely filtered through his parents.  Most little kids have a thing for dinos anyway, at least my nephews did.  So, Derick and Jill, at least currently, can take him to a museum and feed him their own interpretation of the 'facts'.  It's not like they aren't going to be hauling him to the Creation Museum in the next couple years and reinforcing their version of 'history' and 'science' to him.

If, at some point, Izzy starts to be curious and notices the discrepancies between what he's been told and what other people believe, he won't be going to the science museum again.  That's how these people handle divergent views; they deny them and prevent their kids from encountering them.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 3

Izzy looks a lot like Jill in these pics. I think he takes after his mother in temperament, too. Ridiculous to say about some random little boy, but I have such a soft spot for that kid, there’s something so expressive and delicate about him and it makes me feel protective.

• Love 15
6 hours ago, lookeyloo said:

Is this a legitimate museum? Not a fundy interpretation like The Ark?  How will they reconcile it with their homefoolery?

Admission was free, with passes from another museum. Freebies always take priority. They can't dress up in costumes for Halloween, because Jesus, but they can dress up in costumes to get free donuts from Krispy Kreme.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, doodlebug said:

If nothing else, at this point, Izzy can't read well enough to read the displays at this museum (and with Jill educating him, who knows if he ever will). 

My understanding is the museum is a hands-on interactive one, so I don't think there's a lot of exhibits he would be reading. Here's an excerpt from their Visit page:

A visit to the Scott Family Amazeum is unlike a visit to many other museums. Here you can touch the exhibits. In fact, we encourage you to touch, see, smell, listen, and (sometimes) taste our exhibits (especially in the Hershey's Lab). The Amazeum is an interactive museum filled with unique experiences centered on science, technology, engineering, art, and math (STEAM). Here you're allowed to wonder, explore, discover, imagine, and create in an environment that's seriously fun. Get your hands on some of our exhibits, enjoy your visit, and make today amazing!

https://www.amazeum.org/visit/

I'm most familiar with their "tinkering lab" because they've been big promoters of getting their tinkering kits into libraries and doing training with library staff. I have not personally attended those, but I have coworkers who have. Amazeum staff also come to local libraries and do programming in the summer, again, all hands-on stuff. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 4
18 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

They were at a museum in Hot Springs, not Bentonville. 

Oh okay. There's one down there too. I don't know how different the exhibits are, but I'm sure it's the same basic premise of being a hands-on museum. 

• Love 2
(edited)

Yeah so sorry for the confusion on my part.

Looking at their website, it's the same interactive principles but focused on science specifically rather than STEAM. They have stuff about space, motion, light, kinetic machines, architecture, and geology, among other things. They also apparently have a mastodon there and a dinosaur exhibit, as well as the hands-on tinkering workshops the Amazeum has. 

The dinosaur exhibits mention Jurassic, Triassic, etc. periods, so I am pretty sure it is not fundie. The fundies I know who believe in dinosaurs don't accept those periods. 

https://midamericamuseum.org/our-exhibits

In any event, it doesn't look like the kids have to be able to read like at a traditional museum to enjoy the museum and learn. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, Sew Sumi said:

Well, as @doodlebug pointed out, Izzy doesn't have the cognitive skill set to understand the different periods, or even what pre-history is. He's just there for the dinos. 😀

Very true! I'd love to have heard the Dillard interpretation of the dinosaurs to Izzy and Sam. 🙄 It still surprises me they went, though.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, Zella said:

Very true! I'd love to have heard the Dillard interpretation of the dinosaurs to Izzy and Sam. 🙄 It still surprises me they went, though.

I dare someone with a burner IG account to ask Jill if they're Young Earthers. 😁

• LOL 7
  • Love 5
12 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I dare someone with a burner IG account to ask Jill if they're Young Earthers. 😁

Do you think she even knows what the term means?  I know she believes it, but I wonder if she's ever heard the moniker.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

Every time one of the Duggars says "This is not an ad", I think "oh, yeah, it's an ad."

I can't believe I am defending these people, but that science museum membership pass is a terrific deal. When my kids were little and we went to Chicago, we were able to get into the natural history museum, the Museum of Science and Industry, the small zoo in the downtown area, a nature center in the downtown area, and the children's museum on Navy Pier, all free. I hear that the number of places is more limited now, and sometimes they limit the number of people or change a small admission, but it is still a good deal.

As someone stated above, creationists come up with varied interpretations of how dinosaurs fit in the history of the world. I don't know what Jill and Derick will tell their children about dinosaurs and evolution, but good for them for going to a science museum. It looks like Izzy had a good time and at least they are trying to stimulate his brain. I can't picture the Duggars ever doing that.

Edited by AnnaBaptist
Omitted a museum
  • Love 13
7 minutes ago, AnnaBaptist said:

I can't believe I am defending these people, but that science museum membership pass is a terrific deal. When my kids were little and we went to Chicago, we were able to get into the natural history museum, the small zoo in the downtown area, a nature center in the downtown area, and the children's museum on Navy Pier, all free. I hear that the number of places is more limited now, and sometimes they limit the number of people or change a small admission, but it is still a good deal.

As someone stated above, creationists come up with varied interpretations of how dinosaurs fit in the history of the world. I don't know what Jill and Derick will tell their children about dinosaurs and evolution, but good for them for going to a science museum. It looks like Izzy had a good time and at least they are trying to stimulate his brain. I can't picture the Duggars ever doing that.

Yeah I can't snark on it. I'm pleasantly surprised. 

• Love 5

I want to know why the Dullards are living in a dumpy-looking little apartment lately? Where is it?? Why are they there?? In an Instagram story, Dreck opened the front door to show that they were inside of what looked like a gymnasium. So my guess is the apartment is located in a school or university. He laughingly said they were hiding out in a bunker. Did Dreck get a summer job on a campus and it came with an apartment? Why aren't they in their brand-new house? Is there a problem with the construction of their home and that's being fixed, so they had to find someplace else to live? They're still in Arkansas, based on the museum visit and Jill's outing with the Tacos4Life friend. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 6