Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

22 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

Here is my famous make a bowl of cereal recipe handing down from generation to generation:

First of all go to the cupboard and grab a box of your favorite cereal and take box out of the cupboard.

Second go to another cupboard and grab a bowl. Put bowl on the counter or table along with the box of cereal.

Third grab a spoon out of the drawer and put next to bowl and box of cereal.

Fourth get milk out of refrigerator,

Next pour cereal into bowl. Pour enough milk to cover the cereal to your own liking. Use spoon to eat the cereal.

Sorry no picture of directions, but I think all of you get the idea.

You forgot to say DUMP the cereal into the bowl. 

• Love 11
(edited)

Cinnamon toast was my favorite thing at my grandma's house! I didn't know it was a special recipe. I remember making it when I was 5. My grandma mixed the sugar and cinnamon together in a bowl. 

And I remember making a comment about Jilly posting how to make toast. I don't know if I was the first, however.

Jilly with the ice cream cone. Quite phallic. She's probably not used to having something so big to lick. I'll show myself to the prayer closet. 

Edited by QuinnInND
Because my phone is crazy.
  • Love 22
30 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

This is a comment on Jill’s root beer float recipe:

Wow ! I must make this for my family, we have all the ingredients in the freezer and the cubards already. But quick Question: does this method work with the BlueBell ice cream in the round containers ? That is all we have. If not I will have to run out to the store to get some in the blocks so I can follow your recipe exactly. Also how much root beer do I pour in the glasses ?

Derick & Jill on July 2, 2018 at 3:34 pm 

The rectangle half-gallons work the best since the seams are easy to tear apart and lay flat, but I’m sure the round containers could work too.

2 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

Oh the humanity.

Unless that's one of us?

Oh, it has to be somebody trolling. And yaaaay!! if it's one of us.

• Love 24
33 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

This is a comment on Jill’s root beer float recipe:

Wow ! I must make this for my family, we have all the ingredients in the freezer and the cubards already. But quick Question: does this method work with the BlueBell ice cream in the round containers ? That is all we have. If not I will have to run out to the store to get some in the blocks so I can follow your recipe exactly. Also how much root beer do I pour in the glasses ?

Derick & Jill on July 2, 2018 at 3:34 pm 

The rectangle half-gallons work the best since the seams are easy to tear apart and lay flat, but I’m sure the round containers could work too.

I don't understand. So do you put the root beer in befor or after the ice cream? I wonder if you can do this with other flavors of ice cream? Omg! Can we do this with other flavors of soda?? 

• Love 18
15 minutes ago, zenme said:

I don't understand. So do you put the root beer in befor or after the ice cream? I wonder if you can do this with other flavors of ice cream? Omg! Can we do this with other flavors of soda?? 

I'm not sure. You probably should post those questions for Jill. Because, ya know, I wouldn't want to steer you wrong or anything.

• Love 16
29 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

I'm not sure. You probably should post those questions for Jill. Because, ya know, I wouldn't want to steer you wrong or anything.

And I've been wondering if we can use a scoop of ice cream?  From a round container of Blue Bell? Vs.  a block?  Would that work too?  Confused.

• Love 13
33 minutes ago, galaxychaser said:

Thanks girls I need all the laughs I can get.

my ac isn’t very good and it’s 102 today. Hope I don’t die from all the heat.

Wow!! Sorry to hear that. I live in a hot climate where a/c is necessary and heat is not so I sympathize!! Hang in there and maybe jump in a pool to celebrate the 4th (if in US)!!!!! ?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, galaxychaser said:

Thanks girls I need all the laughs I can get.

my ac isn’t very good and it’s 102 today. Hope I don’t die from all the heat.

Sorry to hear that. Maybe a root beer float would cool you off (if you can figure out how to make it)! ;)

• Love 19
On 7/2/2018 at 6:44 PM, ginger90 said:

When we got home, Derick made steaks (from one of my family’s cows! lol) for a late dinner.

34A926D7-09C8-43B9-909E-4A1E578B4ED8.jpeg

What! They ate Michelle? 

I couldn't figure out the second toast photo until someone mentioned pouring sugar. It looked like two very moldy pieces of bread being pulled apart. 

• Love 14

Way back in 7th grade (1963) I took home economics.  Our first "cooking Lesson" was cinnamon toast.  We didn't follow a recipe.  We just got some instructions and off we went.  Not difficult for a 12 year old.  Many of us had done it before I am sure.  I am truly appalled that Jill would think it was necessary to put a recipe on it on her blog and that any of her followers were actually impressed with it.

• Love 17
1 hour ago, abbey said:

Way back in 7th grade (1963) I took home economics.  Our first "cooking Lesson" was cinnamon toast.  We didn't follow a recipe.  We just got some instructions and off we went.  Not difficult for a 12 year old.  Many of us had done it before I am sure.  I am truly appalled that Jill would think it was necessary to put a recipe on it on her blog and that any of her followers were actually impressed with it.

And some people don't believe America is being "dumbed down?"  Hmmmph.

In Jilly's world, this kind of crap proves it.

• Love 9
3 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Guys, I’m in trouble here. I’ve got ice cream, but my container isn’t rectangular, it’s oval. I can’t figure out what to do. I’m just watching it melt because I’m so confused. Can I still cut it? BTW, it’s chocolate if that matters.

At this rate, I’m never going to be able to make cinnamon toast.

Maybe you should start with the water recipe posted earlier. Then when you’re confident, move on to something more challenging like ice cream. You can do it. Good luck!!

• Love 17
3 minutes ago, riverblue22 said:

You know what is good?  Cinnamon sugar on rolled out leftover piecrust and baked in the oven.  I always liked it better than the pies!

Since I don't particularly have a sweet tooth, but can eat savory stuff till the cows come home, I sprinkle mine with some Parmesan cheese and a bit of paprika.

• Love 8
40 minutes ago, riverblue22 said:

You know what is good?  Cinnamon sugar on rolled out leftover piecrust and baked in the oven.  I always liked it better than the pies!

My mom did that!  My daughter called them "crust cookies" and absolutely loved them.  

• Love 10
1 hour ago, Madtown said:

Whoa! Hold on.. We are just learning to make water, ice cubes, cinnamon toast and about cereal. This pie crust you speak of is probably wayyyyy beyond some of our capabilities. It sounds extremely complicated..

Once you've managed to make cinnamon toast w/o burning it and root beer floats w/o the ice cream melting, you may be ready for cinnamon pie dough. Preheat the oven to 450, take the crust out of the box and unroll it on a cookie sheet, sprinkle with cinnamon sugar leftover from toast recipe (try to take out the toast crumbs if possible), bake for 10-12 minutes. 

Piecrust.JPG

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, Triple P said:

Well this is pretty complicated because there are several decisions to make before beginning the process. I should probably make a flow chart, but this will have to do for now. Also this is a long held TripleP family recipe, so don't share outside of this forum. Thnx.

First figure out why you want to boil water?

> to cook something or make a warm beverage like tea (that is also super complicated, I will have to ask my momma to post her recipe.)

>what am I going to cook?

>how many servings do I need to make?

>do I need a small pot, a large pot or a pan (momma always used a pan to make poched eggs (my brother (Billy Bob's) favorite)...I know you need boiling water for that)

Anyways, find a pot. It might be in a cupboard or a pot rack (hangs from the ceiling). I like Le Crueset (anyone else know about these?) but any old pot will do.

Dump the cold water in the pot.

Put the pot on a burner (round thingy) on the stove.

Figure out which knob goes with the burner you put the pot on.

Turn it to "Hi". (If you have a gas stove, you'll need to ask someone else how to use that. I once tried to use one, but the water never boiled, the house just started to smell funny! Lol)

Wait for water to boil, but remember, a watched pot never boils, so you should leave the room and come back and check on it in about 30 minutes.

The water will get very hot and bubbly. Wa-la boiled water!

(C) TripleP

A little too complicated for me. I think I will start with figuring out why I need to boil water in the first place. It probably will take me about a week to figure it out, but I like a good challenge.

(edited)
On 7/2/2018 at 10:27 PM, bigskygirl said:

Here is my famous make a bowl of cereal recipe handing down from generation to generation:

First of all go to the cupboard and grab a box of your favorite cereal and take box out of the cupboard.

Second go to another cupboard and grab a bowl. Put bowl on the counter or table along with the box of cereal.

Third grab a spoon out of the drawer and put next to bowl and box of cereal.

Fourth get milk out of refrigerator,

Next pour cereal into bowl. Pour enough milk to cover the cereal to your own liking. Use spoon to eat the cereal.

Sorry no picture of directions, but I think all of you get the idea.

Couldn't you find one on All Recipes? ;) 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, Triple P said:

Well this is pretty complicated because there are several decisions to make before beginning the process. I should probably make a flow chart, but this will have to do for now. Also this is a long held TripleP family recipe, so don't share outside of this forum. Thnx.

First figure out why you want to boil water?

> to cook something or make a warm beverage like tea (that is also super complicated, I will have to ask my momma to post her recipe.)

>what am I going to cook?

>how many servings do I need to make?

>do I need a small pot, a large pot or a pan (momma always used a pan to make poched eggs (my brother (Billy Bob's) favorite)...I know you need boiling water for that)

Anyways, find a pot. It might be in a cupboard or a pot rack (hangs from the ceiling). I like Le Crueset (anyone else know about these?) but any old pot will do.

Dump the cold water in the pot.

Put the pot on a burner (round thingy) on the stove.

Figure out which knob goes with the burner you put the pot on.

Turn it to "Hi". (If you have a gas stove, you'll need to ask someone else how to use that. I once tried to use one, but the water never boiled, the house just started to smell funny! Lol)

Wait for water to boil, but remember, a watched pot never boils, so you should leave the room and come back and check on it in about 30 minutes.

The water will get very hot and bubbly. Wa-la boiled water!

(C) TripleP

I can also use boiling water for birthing babies and disinfecting my medical thingys. Yay.

• Love 14
1 minute ago, bigskygirl said:

I am confused. What is All Recipes?

The website Jill likes to snatch recipes and photos from. Sorry for the confusion! 

• Love 6

Thought you all would like to know that thanks to this thread, I have had cinnamon toast for breakfast both yesterday and today.  No root beer floats though since I'm not a fan of root beer.

• Love 20
27 minutes ago, tarheel220 said:

Thought you all would like to know that thanks to this thread, I have had cinnamon toast for breakfast both yesterday and today.  No root beer floats though since I'm not a fan of root beer.

Same. On all accounts. Chocolate ice cream in ginger ale is heavenly!

As I was making cinnamon toast yesterday morning and this morning, it struck me again how wacky her proportions are. 1 T of melted butter per slice of bread??? I used less than 1 T for 3 slices. I don’t think she actually slathered on that much melted butter per slice, so why did she even offer that suggested amount? She’s so desperate for clicks she doesn’t even care what she slaps up on the blog.

• Love 7
(edited)
9 hours ago, kalamac said:

freeze water.JPG

This good short cut should be passed on to the Maxwell clan.

Teri Maxwell once removed 3 lb of FROZEN ground beef, dethawed it so she could use up one HALF of an onion, mixed the few bits of chopped onion into the beef, browned it, then REFROZE it!  She would love your water tip!!!

AND this great tip was worthy of a full blog!

Edited by louannems
  • Love 12
On 7/3/2018 at 9:38 AM, Natalie68 said:

Does he get the meat sweats???  HA!

Yes we did!  I may have seen you on this jaunt!  

Um, there may be some nearly 50 years old adults that do this as well.  Not that I personally know them or anything :)

It was a sad day when I realized my fingers had outgrown olives. There went a cherished Thanksgiving dinner tradition. On the plus side, I now have grandkids who are carrying it on. 

• Love 12