Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Turkey sausage. It wasn't as pink in person. 

That's what I figured...My eyes kept reading that picture as though it had beets in it - which might not be entirely amiss in a similar dish either. I do love me some roasted beets! Or even just boiled and tossed with a salad. They do go well with Brussels  sprouts :)

3 minutes ago, Vaysh said:

Are mandarins/clementines not a common fruit in the US or is it just this "cutie" sort that's unusual?

They are quite common, but have a tendency to go more by the name of the brand than the fruit type . I don't know whether the various places that produce them have patents on a particular strain, but I've seen clementines here under the name of "Darling" or "Halo". I suppose "cutie is just another brand, though I have not seen them here.

• Love 7
25 minutes ago, Vaysh said:

Are mandarins/clementines not a common fruit in the US or is it just this "cutie" sort that's unusual?

The idea of cuties is that they're easy to peal for children. The commercials market them towards children. I have no idea if they're easier to peel or if that's just a marketing ploy. 

• Love 3
3 minutes ago, Temperance said:

The idea of cuties is that they're easy to peal for children. The commercials market them towards children. I have no idea if they're easier to peel or if that's just a marketing ploy. 

They are much easier to peel .

• Love 20
17 hours ago, Loves2Dance said:

You are probably right about Jill feeling nostalgic. My husband and I got married young and I immediately moved away because he was in the Army and we were stationed 12 hours from 'home'. In the first year of marriage grocery shopping was a cluster---I cooked like my mom did; not because she taught me to cook (she didn't), but because that is how meals were. You had a meat, a starch, a veggie and a biscuit. My husband is a much better cook, but he worked and I didn't. He deployed throughout most of our second year and I ate out for most meals and cooked very basic meals for the rest. Then we moved overseas and I made a true effort to stop cooking so...basic. I'm still not good at creative cooking, but I can follow a recipe like nobodies business and we eat a lot of everything. 

I think Jill needs an intervention---all Americans eat crap from time to time (my guilty pleasure is queso) but there is a whole new world of food she could be learning. If she focused her blog on like---trying to get better, I may even tune in. Those types of stories go a whole lot further than where she's going. 

Thank you both for your service!

Jill could use an intervention on so many levels-cooking, medical thingys, men...

I grew up an only child.  My grandmother lived with us, and she was the cook of the family.  My mom worked full time, and my dad worked 60-70 hours a week out of state for many years.  After my grandma passed away, my dad took over the kitchen.  He loved to do it, even when his health was failing.  My mom never cared to cook, probably because it wasn't a necessity.  She does make an awesome meatloaf and beef stew.  We were married young (he was 22 and I was barely 23), and I moved about an hour away from our hometown while he was finishing his bachelor's degree.  I somehow managed to make an entire Thanksgiving dinner for us and our parents six weeks after our wedding.  I learned that I *loved* to cook, and not to toot, toot, I've become pretty good at it.  I don't have to measure ingredients, and I can make up a meal on my own.  Jill is getting in her own way of being "something".  I can't help but think part of her trying so hard is a result of the molestation.  She's trying to show how 'adjusted' she has become and be like every other married mom.  If she would have been given the proper counseling and tools, I think we would be seeing a completely different Jill.

• Love 15

I don't think I'll shock or offend anyone on this board by saying that Jill can't cook -- at all. We've seen the photos of her "successes" so I shudder to think what the failures look like.

All of these recipes were stolen out of 1) a church community cookbook 2) the back of a soup can or 3) the side of a Velveeta box. As I've said before, I think that the majority of Duggar fans are 50-70 year old women who were SAHM in rural, Bible-belt communities.  While I think that this may be the only demographic who would eat any of the food that Jill posts about, they would also already know all of these recipes -- they, too, would have access to church community cookbooks, soup cans, and Velveeta boxes.

• Love 19
6 hours ago, ginger90 said:

Constantly updating? Perhaps frequently? Whatever.

Here’s the latest:

We had a bunch of frozen blueberries given to us recently, so I came up with this yummy summer smoothie recipe to help us use them. (Also a great way to use spinach or mixed greens that are wilting in the fridge!) It’s become a favorite now in our family. This recipe makes 2 smoothies.

3-4 T. lemon juice (depending on how much you like)

2-3 C. spinach (cups packed down; ok if it’s started to wilt too!)

2 C. ice

1/2 C. applesauce

1/2 an orange (peeled; or one small cutie)

1/3 C. apple juice concentrate (or more if using regular apple juice)

2 C. blueberries (frozen)

water

Blend lemon juice first (this helps keep everything else from sticking super bad!). Next, blend spinach and ice (do this before adding other stuff so spinach doesn’t get stuck at the top and ice gets blended really fine). Throw in everything else (except water) and blend. Add water as needed ’til smooth consistency.

Oops, she forgot:

"While the blender is running, dash to the laundry hamper and grab a ratty washcloth to serve it on."

I think I'm gonna heave......

• Love 11
4 hours ago, Albanyguy said:

It was most likely some kind of creamy, gelatin-based recipe, but right now all I can picture is a big bowl of bite-size Snickers and Milky Ways sprinkled with cilantro and tossed with vinaigrette. Jill would undoubtedly find it "super yummy", especially after she added a hefty dose of her "amazing" magic ingredient, lemon juice. She would probably caution us to unwrap the candy bars before making the salad.

I am going to have to pull out the book and see what is actually in this recipe.  I would put it here but I don't want Jill to steal it and claim it as her own.  HA!

4 hours ago, DragonFaerie said:

I'll need a new keyboard for the last line, but damn, I can totally see her saying that.  And then my brain flashed back to Pricialla Walker explaining the candy bar diaper game for the baby shower and lost any appetite I had. :-)

I did a google search for candy bar salad.  There are some slight differences but almost all of them seem to have a core set of ingredients - 1 site said it dates back to around 1926 so that should be right up Jill's alley.  This is from the countrycook and is pretty standard although she adds milk and many don't.  I can't believe the Duggars don't make this - Instant pudding, the fabulous whipped topping, snicker candy bars, apples - oh wait, that's a real fruit, and then drizzle a jar of caramel sauce on top.  Stick in fridge until ready to eat.  My massive amount of dental work hurts just reading it.  Shudders.

1 (5.1 ounce) package Instant vanilla pudding mix

1/2 cup milk

1 (16 ounce) container Cool Whip, thawed

3-4 medium golden delicious apples, chopped in bite-size pieces

5 Snickers candy bars, chopped in bite-size pieces

1/2 cup caramel sauce

YIKES!  Just gimme the candy bars and save the effort of making this culinary masterpiece!

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, drafan said:

Oops, she forgot:

"While the blender is running, dash to the laundry hamper and grab a ratty washcloth to serve it on."

I know. You never want anything to stick “super bad.” 

Sheesh. 

• Love 11
(edited)

Jilly should take a look at her hub's mangled teeth, janky jaws and know that her sons' teeth come from that weak and shallow gene pool...

Cut out the sugar bombs like the candy bar fiasco above with processed hydrogenated Cool Whip, caramel sauce and processed pudding.

Looking closely for when their baby teeth with be pocked with cavities...or stunted into niblet sized teeth like Auntie Josie...

Edited by humbleopinion

Jill's smoothie recipe is a bit complicated.  This is my foolproof delicious smoothie recipe:  blend 1 cup of juice & 1 cup of frozen fruit.  Super simple, YAY!

Sometimes I toss in a bit of frozen kale or a few spoonfuls of yogurt.

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, Westiepeach said:

I know. You never want anything to stick “super bad.” 

Sheesh. 

At my house, stuff either sticks or it doesn't.  I'm not sure what will stick super bad to a blender if you give the contents a stir now and then.   Nothing in that "recipe" is really sticky.  

Silly Jilly is such a twit.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, ginger90 said:

They are much easier to peel .

I feel like they're looser in their skin, for some reason; except the manufacturer swears they're not GMO'ed, so maybe this is fictive (after all, how would I know until the skin's integrity has been breached?).  They are their own "thing"; and as you will note, they are a registered trademark:

So, what is a cutie? Not all mandarins are cuties, and cuties are not the same variety throughout the year. Cuties are patented seedless, easy-to-peel mandarins grown in the San Joaquin Valley of Central California. The rise of the CUTIES® began in 1990 when a freeze badly damaged California’s citrus. After confirming that clementines could endure the extreme weather, Sun Pacific partnered with Paramount Citrus to grow equal amounts of seedless clementines and sell them under a single brand name. CUTIES® consist of two varieties: clementines from November to January and W. Murcott mandarins from February to April.

https://web.stanford.edu/group/humbioresearch/cgi-bin/wordpress/?p=71

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Vaysh said:

Cutie is basically a name brand. They are just mandarin oranges that someone slapped a kid friendly name on and some kid-centric commercials. Think Dole bananas, but with better marketing. 

I was behind a woman at the grocery store one time and she was trying to buy just one. My guess is she pulled it out of the much bigger box. She and the teenage cashier were trying to come up with what it was called since the cashier couldn't find Cutie in the produce lists. I finally started listing off potential names. Mandarin, clementine, tangerine, tangelo, Cutie, Cutie's counter part, Halos. I think she finally just weighed it as an orange. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

That's what I figured...My eyes kept reading that picture as though it had beets in it - which might not be entirely amiss in a similar dish either. I do love me some roasted beets! Or even just boiled and tossed with a salad. They do go well with Brussels  sprouts :)

They are quite common, but have a tendency to go more by the name of the brand than the fruit type . I don't know whether the various places that produce them have patents on a particular strain, but I've seen clementines here under the name of "Darling" or "Halo". I suppose "cutie is just another brand, though I have not seen them here.

Cuties are very popular here in California.  I have never seen Darlings.

I had the Candy Bar salad a few years back at a Pampered Chef party. It was a pretty good dessert.

What Jill needs is a new bff/mentor who is deeply religious, but more social media savvy and smarter. Jill has the name and the audience, even if half of that audience only hate-visits her site. Jill could take an old 50s/60s cookbook filled with cream of whatever soup recipes and, with the help of her friend, update them into healthier, tastier dishes. The friend could show her how to plate the food and photograph it so it's appealing. They could include a Bible verse and a clip of Israel saying grace to keep it holy. 

I followed the Julia/Julie blog and one where a woman cooked her way through the French Laundry cookbook, so I'm pretty sure she would get followers and hits if she could just drag her stunted ass into the 21st century.

• Love 7
(edited)
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

I followed the Julia/Julie blog and one where a woman cooked her way through the French Laundry cookbook, so I'm pretty sure she would get followers and hits if she could just drag her stunted ass into the 21st century.

Heh. Now I want to see Jill try to attempt the Alinea cookbook instead of her mama's recipes from the 1950's. 

Edited by Misslindsey
  • Love 2
4 hours ago, drafan said:

Oops, she forgot:

I just love the way Jill reminds us twice that it's okay to use wilting spinach!  Gag!

• Love 5

Cuties are definitely easier to peel. I can stick a cutie or two in my kids lunches, even as young as Kindergarten/VPK and they can eat it without any issues---if I wanna send a navel orange? You better believe I have to triangle that fruit up, put a band around it and put it in a container for them to touch it. 

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Nysha said:

What Jill needs is a new bff/mentor who is deeply religious, but more social media savvy and smarter.

That would be someone like Joanna Gaines or Ree Drummond. The problem with being a mentor, though, is that the person you're mentoring has to want your advice, listen to what you're saying and follow through on your suggestions. Jill already thinks she knows everything and that mindset is reinforced by her family's arrogance and the uncritical adoration of their leghumpers. Even if Jill did have a mentor who helped her develop a plan for success, she'd probably take a typical Duggar lazy, half-assed approach to implementing it and then wonder why it didn't work. 

• Love 14
59 minutes ago, Marigold said:

I swear I'm not being mean (really) but the truth is, Jill can't do much of anything.  

I love blogs and youtube channels. (currently hooked on youtubers).   There is not one thing that Jill is skilled enough in to actually TEACH.  I can't think of one thing. Zero.  That doesn't mean she is a bad person but sometimes you have to realize that you have minimal to really offer at this time in your life and maybe it's best not to pretend to be a cook when you are using recipes from the back of a soup can.  This is not good blog material and makes you look foolish. Very foolish.  

Again, not to be mean, but it's the truth.   Jill is in a "season of life" where she needs to be learning, not teaching.  

The only Duggar that seems to have some blog/youtube potential is Jana. Jana seems to garden pretty well.  We know she is an amazing seamstress.  She could do a sewing blog or gardening blog.  She  also plays a lot of instruments. She has skills to share and would be comfortable on camera showing people how she sewed something etc. Honestly, I would watch Jana on youtube.  I would run screaming from any other Duggars trying to instruct me about anything. unless I was snark watching, of course! 

Marigold, I responded to you in Small Talk.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Marigold said:

I swear I'm not being mean (really) but the truth is, Jill can't do much of anything.  

I love blogs and youtube channels. (currently hooked on youtubers).   There is not one thing that Jill is skilled enough in to actually TEACH.  I can't think of one thing. Zero.  That doesn't mean she is a bad person but sometimes you have to realize that you have minimal to really offer at this time in your life and maybe it's best not to pretend to be a cook when you are using recipes from the back of a soup can.  This is not good blog material and makes you look foolish. Very foolish.  

Again, not to be mean, but it's the truth.   Jill is in a "season of life" where she needs to be learning, not teaching.  

The only Duggar that seems to have some blog/youtube potential is Jana. Jana seems to garden pretty well.  We know she is an amazing seamstress.  She could do a sewing blog or gardening blog.  She  also plays a lot of instruments. She has skills to share and would be comfortable on camera showing people how she sewed something etc. Honestly, I would watch Jana on youtube.  I would run screaming from any other Duggars trying to instruct me about anything. unless I was snark watching, of course! 

So this. I think jana has so much to offer! Jill just...doesn't. It might even be cute if she went for the "I really don't know much about cooking, but I'm trying, and let you take you on my journey." I could see a young woman who has found herself a SAHM without cooking skills trying basic recipes and then writing funny and witty accounts of how making them went. There are actually a lot of people out there who have no clue how to cook anything, and reading the very specific journey of another person like them might give them confidence to try something. However, Jill would have to admit that she isn't good at this stuff, and that her recipes ARE super basic, and she would never do that. 

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

So this. I think jana has so much to offer! Jill just...doesn't. It might even be cute if she went for the "I really don't know much about cooking, but I'm trying, and let you take you on my journey." I could see a young woman who has found herself a SAHM without cooking skills trying basic recipes and then writing funny and witty accounts of how making them went. There are actually a lot of people out there who have no clue how to cook anything, and reading the very specific journey of another person like them might give them confidence to try something. However, Jill would have to admit that she isn't good at this stuff, and that her recipes ARE super basic, and she would never do that. 

I’d follow a blog called Basic Bitch Cooking. 

• Love 8

Internet recipes seem to be such a gamble. I’m not American. I don’t really cook. When I was in America recently-ish I tried a Moons Over My Hammy. It tasted incredibly salty to my Australian palate. When I bought a mcgriddle it blew my mind that there were maple gummies in the griddle cakes.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Kokapetl said:

Internet recipes seem to be such a gamble. I’m not American. I don’t really cook. When I was in America recently-ish I tried a Moons Over My Hammy. It tasted incredibly salty to my Australian palate. When I bought a mcgriddle it blew my mind that there were maple gummies in the griddle cakes.

Wow. I was never lucky enough to get maple gummies!   

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Albanyguy said:
17 hours ago, Nysha said:

What Jill needs is a new bff/mentor who is deeply religious, but more social media savvy and smarter.

That would be someone like Joanna Gaines or Ree Drummond. The problem with being a mentor, though, is that the person you're mentoring has to want your advice, listen to what you're saying and follow through on your suggestions. Jill already thinks she knows everything and that mindset is reinforced by her family's arrogance and the uncritical adoration of their leghumpers. Even if Jill did have a mentor who helped her develop a plan for success, she'd probably take a typical Duggar lazy, half-assed approach to implementing it and then wonder why it didn't work. 

I was thinking a best friend who is in the same type of circumstances, newly married/young mother/not a lot of money, would be unthreatening enough that her suggestions would by-pass the built-in Duggar arrogance. Unfortunately, even on the remote chance that someone did come into Jill's life without being chased off by Derick, your last sentence would still doom the project. I've probably spent more time and effort thinking about ways that Jill could succeed than she has.

• Love 2
On 5/31/2018 at 5:13 PM, Sew Sumi said:

No, Cuties are small oranges (or tangerines)? I've seen them, but they're generally sold in bulk...too much for just two people.

At my current local grocery store, Cuties can be purchased individually. You simply bag and weigh the number you need.

1 hour ago, DangerousMinds said:

Well, they did "write " a book about dating before any of them had ever been on even one.

And quite possibly before any of them had read a book (I know it's giving them the benefit of the doubt to expect that they've all read one now).

• Love 5

The real reason Derick made his Twitter private may be because he's trying to avoid getting his account banned from Twitter.  Apparently, Twitter will now close your account if you post certain things about trans people.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-44288431

I personally think it would be hilarious if he got banned on Twitter!

Note: You can report an account that you have blocked or that has blocked you. Go to that account’s profile and click or tap the gear icon, or tap the overflow icon and then select Report.

https://help.twitter.com/en/safety-and-security/report-abusive-behavior

00.jpg

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

I've never had a Moon but since it's a typical 'Mur'can recipe a good bit of the salt's probably there to mask the two cups of sugar that are also in it. 

• Love 4

I loved watching "Secrets of a Resturant Chef" on The Food Network, but was appalled by the amount of salt Anne Burrell put on everything she cooked. And I love salt! I've been known to pour salt on a plate for the pure pleasure of dipping apple slices into it and taking very small bites.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Kokapetl said:

In all fairness, Denny’s and McDonalds are not exactly known for healthy, high-quality food. There are plenty of better breakfast options out there. 

It’s so sad to me that Jill is posting these “recipes.”  I really think she doesn’t know any better. 

• Love 9

I'm pretty sure the McGriddle with bacon is like the least healthiest thing on the McDonalds menu, but man is it good. I try to keep my McGriddle ordering to once every 3 or 4 months and I'm in no way a healthy eater! 

• Love 3

I just thought of my wonderful PTV family just now, because I made chicken salad! ??? I had some extra rotisserie chicken from earthfare (honestly like the best chicken ever lol), and a little piece of cooked chicken that I didn't eat for dinner one night this week. I combined the chicken, and added onion flakes, celery seed, mayo, Greek yogurt, pecans, and craisins. That's how we usually make it in my family! I know some people make it with even more add-ons! I love grapes in it too, and my mom sometimes puts a tad of Vidalia onion dressing! The dressing is really good in tuna salad, too.

I was thinking as I made this about how bland Jill's would be, haha. I was thinking about how I love to order hamburgers plain...just cheese and mayo, and sometimes onions. I usually make a joke when I order it about being a plain jane. That's where self awareness comes in. Jill has none, and doesn't realize that because she prefers it plain (which I doubt she PREFERS it, but has never tried anything else), it's not the norm. Even if it was the norm, a plain chicken salad recipe is not exactly hard to come by. I would never start a blog and post a recipe for hamburgers with just cheese and mayo. If I did, I might say something like, "I like it on the plain side, but you can jazz it up with ketchup, mustard, lettuce, tomato, blah blah blah...". Jill just has no self awareness to realize that her recipe is nothing special!

• Love 10
51 minutes ago, Christina87 said:

I just thought of my wonderful PTV family just now, because I made chicken salad! ??? I had some extra rotisserie chicken from earthfare (honestly like the best chicken ever lol), and a little piece of cooked chicken that I didn't eat for dinner one night this week. I combined the chicken, and added onion flakes, celery seed, mayo, Greek yogurt, pecans, and craisins. That's how we usually make it in my family! I know some people make it with even more add-ons! I love grapes in it too, and my mom sometimes puts a tad of Vidalia onion dressing! The dressing is really good in tuna salad, too.

I was thinking as I made this about how bland Jill's would be, haha. I was thinking about how I love to order hamburgers plain...just cheese and mayo, and sometimes onions. I usually make a joke when I order it about being a plain jane. That's where self awareness comes in. Jill has none, and doesn't realize that because she prefers it plain (which I doubt she PREFERS it, but has never tried anything else), it's not the norm. Even if it was the norm, a plain chicken salad recipe is not exactly hard to come by. I would never start a blog and post a recipe for hamburgers with just cheese and mayo. If I did, I might say something like, "I like it on the plain side, but you can jazz it up with ketchup, mustard, lettuce, tomato, blah blah blah...". Jill just has no self awareness to realize that her recipe is nothing special!

but you can jazz it up with ketchup, mustard, lettuce, tomato, blah blah blah...".

I'm sure Derick would put the kibosh on using the word jazz!!  But you are right about everything else!

• Love 8

Tinned chicken........such a thing exists? Yuk.

All of Jill's recipes are truly awful. Vile, unhealthy and disgusting slop, not worth sharing or eating. She is so careless and slapdash with everything. Why does no Duggar ever put any effort into anything?

She's not doing too well on Twitter. I may or may not have been tempted to give her shite there. So far, she hasn't blocked me, cough. Dreck is just a piece of absolute vile shite and I cannot stand the sight of him anymore.

• Love 11

Why do they have the messy press in the background? I feel for that poor child so much, the damage done to him by his idiot parents isn't even funny. Dealing with childhood issues myself, it's not funny or amusing. Love your children! Don't give them the feeling that they aren't worthy or bad.

• Love 3
(edited)

BEC here, but why not close the damn closet door? I love Sam’s WTF and don’t point that thing at my expression.

Edited by SMama
  • Love 18
3 hours ago, SMama said:

BEC here, but why not close the damn closet door? I love Sam’s WTF and don’t point that thing at my face expression.

I totally agree. Close your damn closets!

• Love 4