Type keyword(s) to search

Jill, Derick & the Kids: Moving On!!

Shout out to everyone participating in the conversation about Jill’s miscarriage/stillbirth. You’re navigating a difficult topic with respect and thoughtfulness and your contributions are kind, considerate, constructive and informative. 

Thank you. 💚💚

• Start Topic

Not my cuppa tea, but if someone told me he had full-blown crazy Howard Hughes-style toenails, I would believe it.

If TLC had the chance, they would film that, and I would watch it.
  • Love 1

I know catscape happened a while back, but now that it has been brought up again, I have to say that the sledding part was horrible, but I also can't help but wonder why these poor cats would be out in the snow.  That is just cruel - just as leaving dogs out in freezing temps (unless you have a dog that is meant to pull sleds, etc.).

I have a feeling that their 'pets' get no shelter from extreme heat or cold.  They suck. 

• Love 9

I know catscape happened a while back, but now that it has been brought up again, I have to say that the sledding part was horrible, but I also can't help but wonder why these poor cats would be out in the snow. That is just cruel - just as leaving dogs out in freezing temps (unless you have a dog that is meant to pull sleds, etc.).

I have a feeling that their 'pets' get no shelter from extreme heat or cold. They suck.

I know cats like to go out and hunt, do they do that when it's snowy? Have we ever seen a dog door anywhere in their house?
  • Love 1
I know cats like to go out and hunt, do they do that when it's snowy?

If it's an outdoor cat they usually go out in all weathers. They tend to spend spend more time indoors in winter than outdoors (in my experience at least) but as long as it's not actually snowing or raining they don't seem to have a problem with snowy ground or below freezing temps as long as the snow isn't too deep. I do believe they mind if some ridiculous manchild tries to run them over with a sled though.

• Love 1

Derrick looks like one of those trailer park guys you'll see in a Walmart parking lot, wearing a faded denim jacket, worn out sneakers and enjoying a smoke because his '92 single cabin Silverado engine overheated. Only 10-20 years younger.

• Love 1

I know cats like to go out and hunt, do they do that when it's snowy? Have we ever seen a dog door anywhere in their house?

Mine does. He loves to go out in the snow, even if it's still snowing - he won't go out in the rain though, LOL! He likes to play with snowballs that I toss for him to catch. Once they disintegrate he puts his paws together to ask for another one. Too darn cute!

• Love 4
(edited)
I am also old, but I'm not sure what he is supposed to do with his "gross" arm hair?

Well, seeing that my son is half Italian, it's good to know that his hairy arms and beard are "gross." Funny, I've heard most refer to him as handsome. Maybe they're lying to me. 

He does blame me for the Mediterranean looks (arm/chest/leg hair) since my genes are the Italian half. I told him to enjoy his full head of thick wavy hair and quit bitching. Would he rather be bald like his grandfather? That question always gets a shudder from him. 

I think Derick looks better with a bit of a scruff. He looks too boyish when he's clean shaven. And as far as his arms, I think that if they were hairless, they'd look strange.  He looks fine. He's probably still a bit swollen from the orthodontia/jaw work in the face. Perhaps he's growing more facial hair to disguise that until it's back to normal.

I think the Dillard boys are cute, in their own dorky way. 

Edited by ChicksDigScars
  • Love 9

Derrick looks like a mess, imo. If this were his normal look---okay, I'd get it. My husband just retired from the Army and he went full hair---head and beard, but Derrick doesn't look like he's keeping up on any of it. My guess is either pure exhaustion from the scandal and having a new baby or he's depressed...if I were him, I'd be depressed too. 

I like Derick and I think he is good for Jill.  I think they will take baby steps away from the Duggar mentality.  He will not put her family down and run from them because she loves her family and he probably does as well.  I think Iz stands a good chance of going to college and even becoming Pistol Pete.  

• Love 3
Derrick looks like a mess, imo. If this were his normal look---okay, I'd get it. My husband just retired from the Army and he went full hair---head and beard, but Derrick doesn't look like he's keeping up on any of it. My guess is either pure exhaustion from the scandal and having a new baby or he's depressed...if I were him, I'd be depressed too.

Loves2Dance, my husband just retired--almost 25 years Army too, and he's letting his beard and mustache grow out until he begins his civilian job.  He's pretty good about grooming it.  I agree.  Derick's style really does look like he's depressed and/or exhausted.  I don't know if it's because he's so thin but it just seems like it's all he can do to drag himself out of bed and wash.  He doesn't look like a happy newlywed. 

Derick looks like every other guy our age. There's nothing out of the ordinary about him. He may look a little exhausted after the cancer, proposal, weddings, baby, surgery, and scandal within the last 12 months but what else could we expect? He looks pretty good considering.

• Love 11

Derick looks like every other guy our age. There's nothing out of the ordinary about him. He may look a little exhausted after the cancer, proposal, weddings, baby, surgery, and scandal within the last 12 months but what else could we expect? He looks pretty good considering.

Maybe it's a matter of area, but I'm not that much older than Derrick and he's looks nothing like the guys we know or see when we're out and about in the world. 

Loves2Dance, my husband just retired--almost 25 years Army too, and he's letting his beard and mustache grow out until he begins his civilian job.  He's pretty good about grooming it.  I agree.  Derick's style really does look like he's depressed and/or exhausted.  I don't know if it's because he's so thin but it just seems like it's all he can do to drag himself out of bed and wash.  He doesn't look like a happy newlywed. 

LOL! It seems to be a growing trend. DH's civilian job is all for the rugged look so as long as he looks clean/kept they don't care about the facial hair. I kinda wish they did. LOL

• Love 3
(edited)

[snip] You can have a beard and not be dirty. I also don't like people saying he is depressed (that is an actual clinical diagnosis) and unless you are a licensed professional and have met with him you should not say he is depressed.  Many of the men in my family were hairy and they were not depressed or dirty.  [snip]  He is a father reading to his son and that is a good thing.

Edited by Rhondinella
  • Love 5
(edited)

I knew the day would come, Loves2dance, that we would disagree, even though our names are almost identical! :) Derrick looks like a regular young guy to me who doesn't have to show up for a 9 to 5 job. Edited by Love2dance
  • Love 3
(edited)

Maybe it's a matter of area, but I'm not that much older than Derrick and he's looks nothing like the guys we know or see when we're out and about in the world.

Perhaps! I will say that most of my guy friends are hipster Christians who play in bands and eat hummus. ;) Derrick would fit right in around here, which is why this current look doesn't even make me bat an eyelash. Edited by Spencer Hastings
  • Love 8

Perhaps! I will say that most of my guy friends are hipster Christians who play in bands and eat hummus. ;) Derrick would fit right in around here, which is why this current look doesn't even make me bat an eyelash.

. He looks enough like a band member in my church, I think he could walk right up and join them on Sunday (in the same clothes, even) and nobody would notice him. He has less meat on him than our regular lead, but they could be brothers.

Eh, I don't doubt that Derick looks out of the ordinary for most of us, just that he looks different from how we normally see him and it's easy to snark on him if ya don't like him and I admittedly don't.

• Love 3

I guess I'm finding myself a bit envious of those who appear to have hair, make up and fashion teams on hand for when they want to snap a pic in the evening of them reading to their baby before bed.  Extra dose of envy for those who have professional lighting and photographer teams available to capture these totally normal, natural moments.  

• Love 10

I'm always amazed at how much assumption and speculation there is based on a photo (ie, Derrick looks depressed, exhausted, smelly, etc).   In my opinion, if he looks on the scruffy side, good for him.  The further away he gets from the JimBob look, the better!  As to his state of mind, I don't think a professional could make a diagnosis based on a photo of him reading to his baby boy.   

• Love 19

Derick looks healthy here and I like his longer hair. I don't like seeing couples color match their clothes unless they're at a sporting event. This is just another sign that Derick is drinking the kool-aid and Jill is driving the (stink) bus.

At least the adorable Iz isn't wearing green. He's the silver lining in this photo.

• Love 4

For whatever little it's worth, if a man with a newborn in his house didn't look a little raggedy I'd think much, much less of him. 

I'll bet Jim Bob looked like he came out of a bandbox all nineteen times.

• Love 13

Derick's smile looks a little different in the picture.  I can't explain exactly what the difference is, but there is one, at least to my eyes.

Beards are the thing right now.  Look at all the baseball players who look like mountain men.  My two sons, 24 and 22, both have beards.  The older one keeps his all the time, usually well-trimmed, but it is looking a little scruffy these days. He calls it his "thesis beard", since he has been getting ready for his defense.  The younger one shaves his off periodically, but he can grow a full beard in about a week and a half. A couple of hairy Italians, like their dad.  So Derick's hair and beard look pretty normal to me.

• Love 4

Thank goodness Jill gave up the sling carrier for a Moby style.  I hope they don't go down the matching shirt path.  Although Jill is probably the Duggar most likely to follow some of the more shallow habits of her parents. 

Doesn't Jill usually seem to have thrown on whatever? Matching clothes with her husband seems beyond the Jillards. Derick has a uniform of polos and jeans for when he's outside the house. Probably just a coincidence.

I'm 32, "between jobs", depressed and have a beard. I shave it when it becomes impossible to eat and not have food get in it. I still got a full head of hair.

• Love 3
(edited)

The beard and scruff don't bother me, however Derick's face just looks "off," and I can't put my finger on why. In all honesty it looks like he got bad plastic surgery. I know he had some sort of jaw realignment procedure, but it looks like it threw the proportions of his face off kilter. Maybe it will all come together in the end, but I think Derick looked better before.

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 6

It looks as if they removed too much of his jaw and now the top part of his mouth is deeper than the bottom. It is odd...

And I don't think they look matched on purpose.

But way for Ben to show off his sexy self by neglecting the undershirt beneath the polo! ;)

(edited)

He may have had his premolars removed at like 12 or something, as he's had a narrow mouth and those are the ones that orthodontists sacrifice. I had that done. Of course on a 6 foot plus frame (I'm 6'3"), it doesn't look great. He could have recently had palate widening surgery and premolar implants. A wider smile is more aesthetic. And I assume he would have been eligible for any therapeutic dentistry through his mothers insurance when he was younger, so this has gotta be aesthetic.

Edited by Kokapetl

Thank goodness Jill gave up the sling carrier for a Moby style.  I hope they don't go down the matching shirt path.  Although Jill is probably the Duggar most likely to follow some of the more shallow habits of her parents. 

She's ALMOST got it figured out.  Iz is still a little too high in the carrier, but that may just be because she's hugging him.  At least she's not carrying him like a sack of potatoes!!

• Love 2

It looks as if they removed too much of his jaw and now the top part of his mouth is deeper than the bottom. It is odd...

And I don't think they look matched on purpose.

But way for Ben to show off his sexy self by neglecting the undershirt beneath the polo! ;)

In Australia, two shirts at once is risking heatstroke. Come visit!

• Love 4

For whatever little it's worth, if a man with a newborn in his house didn't look a little raggedy I'd think much, much less of him.

I'll bet Jim Bob looked like he came out of a bandbox all nineteen times.

Derick married a barefoot slave woman. A woman without independence or an opinion of her own. Groomed to be subservient over the last 20 years. Hell, he has the arrange all aspects of their early relationship with her father. I doubt he's doing a thing with that baby. There's no excuse for him to look so disgustingly unkempt.
  • Love 1

Derick married a barefoot slave woman. A woman without independence or an opinion of her own. Groomed to be subservient over the last 20 years. Hell, he has the arrange all aspects of their early relationship with her father. I doubt he's doing a thing with that baby. There's no excuse for him to look so disgustingly unkempt.

I'm certain he's helping a lot with the baby - they're still in the 'be nice' part of a young relationship. By baby 2, 3, or 7 I doubt he'll be dong much direct child care.

• Love 1

While looking at a sales circular, I noticed most of the male models have some sort of facial hair - the scruffy look, goatee, beard. I'm hoping the matching shirts was just a coincidence.

In the Duggar special Josh said that mom took care of the food in part so dad should take care of the diaper changing.  Not sure if he said this to Jill or Jessa and Ben.  He said he helped with the diapers.  I think the younger generation of men are more likely to think that way.  I was a little reluctant to post anything about Josh here (wrong thread/topic) but wanted to point out men changing diapers in the Duggar family is not totally foreign. 

• Love 1

Doesn't that picture looks like Derick has gained a bit of weight on his face? If he has -- good for him, it's much needed. Maybe he is happier being done with WMT and getting up at 7 am to get to work -- maybe being home (for now) suits him as it does the other Duggar men -- and that's reflected in weight gain?

• Love 1

Was that Ben in the back with the luggage?  I assume it was but couldn't really ever see his face in the video.

Jessa was obviously covering her baby bump.

Jill looked a bit larger (tummy wise) than her 2 month photo.  Hoping she is not expecting a blessing so soon.

Poor Derrick looked really thin.  I think the stress of everything must be wearing on him.

Love how Jill tried to keep sweet and smile.  They have to learn the Hollywood way.  Wear big sunglasses, hats, ball caps, ponytails and all that to disguise yourself.

I wonder if TMZ has a few reporters at the festival.

• Love 2

Love how Jill tried to keep sweet and smile.  They have to learn the Hollywood way.  Wear big sunglasses, hats, ball caps, ponytails and all that to disguise yourself.

Pffftt. Then what's the point of being famous? Oops, I mean, having a ministry.

• Love 5

I think Derick could be hard to predict as far as caring for babies. On the one hand, he had a fairly mainstream upbringing and went to college and he's young - so he could be fine with changing a dirty diaper or even doing a load of laundry.

OTOH he sought out the Duggars via JimBob, married into the family, and is being billed as one of The Duggars at the Alive festival this weekend. He may, in fact, share JB's view of strict gender roles. And even if he doesn't, his wife was trained up her whole life under JB's headship, so it's a fair assumption that she shares JB's views on gender roles.

I can not imagine. Jim Bob Duggar changing a dirty diaper - even on one of his own precious loinfruit. That's wimmin's work, isn't it?

It would be a bit of a relief to know I'm wrong about JB and the diaper thing.

Something tells me diapers might not have been changed as often as strictly necessary in the Duggar household, especially in the early days before sister-moms and TLC. I can absolutely see Boob trying to stretch that package of nappies a little longer - because he's such an Olympic-calibre tightwad. And Me-chelle thinking maybe she can wait to change J-whosis for an hour or so - just because she's such a hopeless slack-ass. Those poor babies.

• Love 5

So Jill just posted a pic of Derick with some pastor at the event -- definitely a Duggar friendly event. Derick looks rough -- I don't know if it's his braces or his shaggy hair or his weight (he looks even thinner than normal to me), but he looks like a teenager -- and I don't meet that in a hot way but in an immature way. I really wonder what he's going to be doing post-Walmart. I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up at one of these churches or as a youth minister or something; it would be so much better for him to have a career separate and apart from the Duggar hoopla -- even if it's just a career with a small accounting shop that isn't super busy and will allow him to take off all the time for the Duggar hoopla.

• Love 1

Jill looked a bit larger (tummy wise) than her 2 month photo.  Hoping she is not expecting a blessing so soon.

I did fine during pregnancy but being home with my babies was rough on my life long weight loss efforts. Jill doesn't even have to drive Derrick to work anymore (and lost use of the Walmart Health Club!)

• Love 1

I wonder why Jess was so intent on keeping something over the baby bump? She's due post a baby bump anyway - maybe she wants to be IN CHARGE of all baby bump pics. And I noticed as well that Jill seems like she's carrying a bit of weight right in front. My first thought was "seems like she'd be working on losing that 'baby fat'". SURELY she's not pg, OMG, please NOOOOOOO!!!!

• Love 1