Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

7 minutes ago, babyhouseman said:

Yeah, I don't think they would be good with Lolli and Pops(M and JB's grandparent names). Lolli just thinks of them as photo ops. 

Worse than that, the grandkids are just numbers rapidly accumulating to them. 

• Love 17
8 minutes ago, Quilt Fairy said:

I've been reading about Seagoville.  It sounds like the very definition of "Club Fed".  A college campus atmosphere with lots of trees and flower beds.  

The inmates have to work, even at Club Fed. Maybe Smuggar will take up gardening. 😂

• LOL 10
  • Love 1

The other FCI that the judge recommended was in Texarkana, correct? If so, that's not in Arkansas. Texarkana is in Texas, although at the border so closer to their home than Seagoville.

(edited)

I can picture FF the first night in the dorms. He'll be all laid back and cool, when inside he's all excited when he shares how awesome his bedroom at home was because it had a slide into the playroom. 😎👶🏽

He's gonna fit right in. 🤣

Edited by GeeGolly
  • LOL 14
9 hours ago, SusanM said:

I wonder if she really, deep down, does believe he's innocent.  Maybe she does.  I think though what she is in denial over is exactly what it is that he did.  I think she figuratively sticks her fingers in her ears and goes "la la la I can't hear you" whenever anyone tries to tell her exactly what he has been convicted of.  

I don’t think she’s anywhere near ready to admit, even to herself, that he might not be innocent. If she does that then she also has to admit that their whole marriage has been a lie. I can’t imagine how that would feel. 

• Love 10
37 minutes ago, YupItsMe said:

I don’t think she’s anywhere near ready to admit, even to herself, that he might not be innocent. If she does that then she also has to admit that their whole marriage has been a lie. I can’t imagine how that would feel. 

That's why she keeps herself in a,state of denial. Admitting the truth would be a betrayal of everything she has been taught and believes.

• Love 11
5 hours ago, babyhouseman said:

Yeah, I don't think they would be good with Lolli and Pops(M and JB's grandparent names). Lolli just thinks of them as photo ops. 

I hate the nickname Lolli. Is there any reason why she is called Lolli? Is it short form for anything? Lolli and Pops. How about Dumb and Dumber.

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
(edited)
16 minutes ago, Spazamanaz said:

I hate the nickname Lolli. Is there any reason why she is called Lolli? Is it short form for anything? Lolli and Pops. How about Dumb and Dumber.

Meech probably made it up, much like Jill Rod calling herself Mimi. 

Edited by emmawoodhouse
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
4 hours ago, Spazamanaz said:

Because she thinks that she is as sweet as sugar. But we know the truth. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 4

I still would like to know who the infamous "Alice" is. That letter that she wrote was accurate and true.  I guess now, Anna will have to throw out the garbage since she doesn't  have a husband at home to do it for her. I also suspect that this is the tip of the iceberg regarding the Duggar family secrets and shady financial actions. I suspect that Anna is not penniless, yes, she would write that to the judge and all but JB is too sly to leave her without money. All that shuffling of LLCs, property sales, etc was meant so Anna would have money to live on. We are all writing her off as now being a pauper. I think it's far from the real truth. What do you think?

• Useful 3
  • Love 10
6 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I still would like to know who the infamous "Alice" is. That letter that she wrote was accurate and true.  I guess now, Anna will have to throw out the garbage since she doesn't  have a husband at home to do it for her. I also suspect that this is the tip of the iceberg regarding the Duggar family secrets and shady financial actions. I suspect that Anna is not penniless, yes, she would write that to the judge and all but JB is too sly to leave her without money. All that shuffling of LLCs, property sales, etc was meant so Anna would have money to live on. We are all writing her off as now being a pauper. I think it's far from the real truth. What do you think?

Whatever assets that might have been in Anna’s name are not and never were in her control. She went from being under the umbrella of control by FF to now JB. Their cult believes women and children are always “protected” by husband or father. So Anna’s bills are probably paid by JB and she has an allowance. Maybe a debit card for groceries. But not enough money where she could escape.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

Even if Anna had some money in her name it wouldn't last very long in supporting 7 kids. She would need a steady income, from say, a few rentals, to even think of being able to support her family.

The only way I see Anna moving off the compound is if it was a JB sanctioned move to have her closer to Josh. I also see that as her best chance of seeing the truth, so it likely won't happen.

• Like 1
  • Love 4
39 minutes ago, floridamom said:

All that shuffling of LLCs, property sales, etc was meant so Anna would have money to live on.

I mean are we SUURE those LLCs don't have some assets in them?   there might be public filings, but do you think JB is completely honest in the filings?    With her name on them, she has every right to take control of them for HER and the kids' benefits.   

But she won't.    As someone (or maybe more than someone) pointed out, she spent her whole life believing God would give her the right person.    To walk away from that  would shake her whole world view.   People less sheltered than Anna would have a hard time.   For Anna, it might be nigh on impossible.   

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, merylinkid said:

I mean are we SUURE those LLCs don't have some assets in them?   there might be public filings, but do you think JB is completely honest in the filings?    With her name on them, she has every right to take control of them for HER and the kids' benefits.   

But she won't.    As someone (or maybe more than someone) pointed out, she spent her whole life believing God would give her the right person.    To walk away from that  would shake her whole world view.   People less sheltered than Anna would have a hard time.   For Anna, it might be nigh on impossible.   

From what I recall, most, if not all, of the LLC's in Anna's name don't have her as administrator.  I believe that virtually any transaction involving them has to go through Travis Story who is, of course, in Jim Bob's pocket and won't do anything without his approval.

While Anna may theoretically have enough money to escape; I believe there are strings attached to all of 'her' assets that make it impossible for her to cash out without JB's approval.

So, even if Anna were emotionally capable of leaving Josh to start a new life; she probably couldn't come up with the money for a bus ticket for herself, let alone the kids, unless JB approves;

I still would like to know who the infamous "Alice" is. That letter that she wrote was accurate and true

Bobye Holt maybe?  I remember reading her letter years and years ago and those of us online speculating that Josh' 'sin' was kissing a girl he liked or copping a feel from a fundie teen at the church picnic or some other typical teenage behavior that this crowd thinks is sinful.  Boy, were we naive!

From Alice' letter, it seems clear that she was a part of this church and this mindset.  It must've taken a helluva lot of courage to step forward and tell the truth despite the brainwashing and the all too real consequences of defying the cult.  Anyway, we all owe Alice, she called him out years and years ago.  Thanks, Alice.

• Useful 2
  • Love 16

If it was Bobye, IMO, she should have done more. Bobye was in a unique position where she had a little more power and access to those who could have at least shut down their show.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

They tried to make the Lolly and Pops think stick. Only pops did.

IIRC, they only came up with the "Lolli/Pops" nonsense a few years ago, rather than back when their first grandchildren were born. It was basically "I know you've called me something else all your life, but from now on, I want you to call me Lolli." No wonder it didn't stick.

That was right around the same time that Anna and a few of the other daughters/daughters-in-law suddenly started referring to their children as "kiddos". It was "kiddos" this and "kiddos" that for a while, but it quickly died out when posters began making fun of them and speculating that they were trying to copy Joanna Gaines.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
(edited)

The "Lolli and Pops" thing was definitely the creation of Anna, Lauren and possibly others.  They tried to make it seem like the grandkids came up with this because they are all so witty and creative, but actually it was just the teenage-mentality of the wives.  I'm glad it didn't stick.

Edited by BigBingerBro
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, merylinkid said:

Didn't someone post here that the LLCs are set up needing two signatures, and that Travis Story was able to be a signer?   It sounded to me like none of the kids could just take the money in the LLCs with their name on them.  There had to be a "controlling" second signature.  Either JB or TS.  Or did I dream this?  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

Many of the Duggar llcs only show a duggar the as the organizer/registering agent. Many of them show Jimmy Burns as the accountant. Some do not. Anna's have Travis Story or Western Ridge Financial on them. None in just her name. If I remember correctly, Travis Story is not listed on any llcs besides Anna's and he is part of a group that has the llc holding now defunct Wholesale Motor Cars.

Deanna's llc also has the same accountant listed, but I doubt he has to give approval for any action she wants to take.

Jason certainly has some properties in his own name outside of his llc with no cosigner listed. I would think he could sell those at any time. Not sure who would want them. They are adjacent to JB land and where Jason tried to get zoning for that asphalt recycling place that was rejected.

• Useful 5
  • Love 2

IIRC, one of the reddit AMA's claimed to know who Alice was and that she had died years ago, but he wouldn't say who. My impression at the time was that the AMA seemed credible but, you know, grain of salt and all that. 

• Useful 6
38 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

Many of the Duggar llcs only show a duggar the as the organizer/registering agent. Many of them show Jimmy Burns as the accountant. Some do not. Anna's have Travis Story or Western Ridge Financial on them. None in just her name. If I remember correctly, Travis Story is not listed on any llcs besides Anna's and he is part of a group that has the llc holding now defunct Wholesale Motor Cars.

Deanna's llc also has the same accountant listed, but I doubt he has to give approval for any action she wants to take.

Jason certainly has some properties in his own name outside of his llc with no cosigner listed. I would think he could sell those at any time. Not sure who would want them. They are adjacent to JB land and where Jason tried to get zoning for that asphalt recycling place that was rejected.

Naturally a woman would have to have a male "headship" signature on her LLC.

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, lascuba said:

IIRC, one of the reddit AMA's claimed to know who Alice was and that she had died years ago, but he wouldn't say who. My impression at the time was that the AMA seemed credible but, you know, grain of salt and all that. 

I could have sworn I read something on Reddit that gave Alice's real name.   Maybe I was dreaming.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

I could have sworn I read something on Reddit that gave Alice's real name.   Maybe I was dreaming.

I thought so too but then I couldn't remember the post. LOL I feel like some of the recent legal paperwork about the girls' failed lawsuit outed some names concerning at the very least who made some calls. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, Zella said:

I thought so too but then I couldn't remember the post. LOL I feel like some of the recent legal paperwork about the girls' failed lawsuit outed some names concerning at the very least who made some calls. 

Yes, you are correct. It was in Kayleigh Holt Tull's deposition in the Duggar sister lawsuit (link below). Kayleigh wrote a letter that she put into a book, then loaned the book to a friend. She named the friend who she loaned the book to, and the person who called the hotline. Not sure if either of those people, or Kayleigh herself, was Alice though, but it could have been. "Alice" said in her letters that she knew the person who contacted Oprah. 

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.arwd.51417/gov.uscourts.arwd.51417.139.13_1.pdf

The stuff about the Oprah show and the letter in the book starts on page 36 and goes to page 40.

Edited by all fall down
  • Useful 8
1 hour ago, BigBingerBro said:

20 minutes ago, all fall down said:

Yes, you are correct. It was in Kayleigh Holt Tull's deposition in the Duggar sister lawsuit (link below). Kayleigh wrote a letter that she put into a book, then loaned the book to a friend. She named the friend who she loaned the book to, and the person who called the hotline. Not sure if either of those people, or Kayleigh herself, was Alice though, but it could have been. "Alice" said in her letters that she knew the person who contacted Oprah. 

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.arwd.51417/gov.uscourts.arwd.51417.139.13_1.pdf

The stuff about the Oprah show and the letter in the book starts on page 36 and goes to page 40.

I do remember reading that about the deposition. I wasn't sure if Alice claimed to have contacted Oprah herself or if you knew someone did. 

• Love 3
23 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Beyond professionally, I tell you what, I would so struggle if someone sentenced me to 20 years without internet. I'd be back in the pokey in no time.

Yes, but you do not use it for nefarious reasons. 

• Love 3

Beyond professionally, I tell you what, I would so struggle if someone sentenced me to 20 years without internet.

Imagine not being able to come here! No snarking on PTer for 20 years?? A fate worse than death!

• LOL 17
  • Love 1
39 minutes ago, Zella said:

Would some of his minimal income from his prison job also be potentially garnished for his fines? 

Yes.

Was it specified he’d be expected to pay while incarcerated, or upon completion? I’m thinking I read it and just can’t recall.

• Useful 1
3 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

Yes.

Was it specified he’d be expected to pay while incarcerated, or upon completion? I’m thinking I read it and just can’t recall.

I think he has to pay by the time his sentence ends, so, with 50 grand, it's $5000/year.  

Prisoners are paid for their work, but it is pennies an hour; I think most federal prisoners earn somewhere around to $10-20 a month for their efforts.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
31 minutes ago, all fall down said:

The lump sum of $50,100 is due immediately, but looks like there are also payment options. 

Page 7 of the below document 

https://storage.courtlistener.com/recap/gov.uscourts.arwd.62817/gov.uscourts.arwd.62817.162.0.pdf

Per page 6 of this judgment, $35,100 is his assessment, $10,000 is a fine, and $5,000 goes to the Justice for Victims of Trafficking Ack.

Thank you for this.

I’m going to assume he’ll defer it since he’s appealing. Of course as with anything, I could be wrong .

Interesting it says he can’t afford to pay interest. 🤔 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3

Thanks to everyone for the info on payments! I appreciate it. :)

I am not sure I can link this because I saw it on Reddit, but multiple people in the family whom Josh gave money to have apparently posted on social media bashing the mother's decision to write a letter supporting Josh and distancing themselves from her support of him. One of them even went so far as to say the mother was basically manipulated into writing a letter by Anna. 

I'd wondered why the lawyers entered her letter at the last minute rather than with the other letters of support since Josh's "generosity" to the family was mentioned in numerous other letters, and I am increasingly suspecting that she did indeed feel pressured to write a letter and/or was also very aware that the rest of the family was against it, which is why hers was delayed. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 10