Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

from TMZ

A court hearing's set for next week to determine if Duggar will be granted bond release, but he's to remain in custody until then. The judge ruled if bond is granted ... Duggar will be required to stay with a third-party custodian, and that person can't have unsupervised minors in the home.

His trial is scheduled for July.

• Useful 7
  • Love 11

Would he/his family have had any idea that he was about to be arrested? Or would this have been an out-of-the-blue occurrence?

If his kids were around when it happened, would they have heard what he was charged with?

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Churchhoney said:

What I can't figure out, though, is, if a lot of them knew this, then Anna knew it.....So what the hell was she thinking in all that gushy garbage she spewed about Josh and her expanding family in the past couple weeks? 

Remember how she got through the first scandal? You’re only supposed to give the right response for the next 10 to 15 minutes. You just leave your life in 10 to 15 minute blocks. Anything else is impossible or too painful to do. Just keep going. Just keep going. Just keep going. 

It must be hell.

• Love 7
2 minutes ago, Rabbittron said:

One thing that I hate to say is that Michelle wasn't lying a few years ago she said that all families have a child molester well in at least her family she was telling the truth. 

I don’t recall her saying this. I believe during the Megan kelly interview it was Jill ffhandedly blurted out that sibling-based molestation happens in lots of families in their circles. 

Edited by JoanArc
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, JoanArc said:

Remember how she got through the first scandal? You’re only supposed to give the right response for the next 10 to 15 minutes. You just leave your life in 10 to 15 minute blocks. Anything else is impossible or too painful to do. Just keep going. Just keep going. Just keep going. 

It must be hell.

If Anna doesn't leave him now she never will, I hope she does this time. 

• Love 15

I am thinking back to the 2019 car lot raid when they circled the wagons and all claimed no one was being investigated by homeland security and Meech blew it offas "they don't respond to every rumor"

Edited by crazy8s
  • Love 17
5 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

from TMZ

A court hearing's set for next week to determine if Duggar will be granted bond release, but he's to remain in custody until then. The judge ruled if bond is granted ... Duggar will be required to stay with a third-party custodian, and that person can't have unsupervised minors in the home.

His trial is scheduled for July.

I haven't read the whole indictment someone posted, but I hope that TMZ paraphrased that "Unsupervised minors in the home" thing incorrectly. Unsupervised would imply that he just couldn't be alone with them, not that he could not be anywhere near them at any time.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, Lurk said:

I haven't read the whole indictment someone posted, but I hope that TMZ paraphrased that "Unsupervised minors in the home" thing incorrectly. Unsupervised would imply that he just couldn't be alone with them, not that he could not be anywhere near them at any time.

I think they may have paraphrased poorly. The local channel that was part of the Zoom call said this:

"Also, the residence where he would stay must be devoid of minor children."

• Useful 3
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, Tikichick said:

Court proceedings are public.  If courtrooms there are not open for in person attendance by the public they must stream on YouTube in order to meet due process requirements.

From way back -- Josh is being arraigned in Federal Court. Federal Court does not allow cameras, though they will release an audio recording to satisfy due process. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, JoanArc said:

I’d recommend every last Duggar get off social media, for at least a year. And honestly more like five, or the rest of their lives. Just use private accounts to share photos with trusted family and that’s it.

I wonder how they will handle their SM going forward.

• Useful 1
  • Love 11
31 minutes ago, Zella said:

Just based on tentative Google search, the other attorney is based in St. Louis and has federal experience. 

https://margulisgelfand.com/team/justingelfand/

The family clearly understands and knew Josh was running with the big dogs, or at least JB did.  I wonder how and when that disclosure was forced out of Josh.  Perhaps he shared info with the local attorney and not JB directly?  I don't think the feds would have given an iota of information until they were done chasing all the rabbits down all of the holes to see just who else they can snare with the info. from Josh's online trail.

Also curious about what's been going on between TLC and JB since the raid.   Clearly TLC had become wary and the family was recently advised to prepare themselves for the end of the gravy train -- even if they didn't get a truthful explanation from JB about why he expected the end was nigh.   Hiring this attorney absolutely proves they know shit is real this time.   Aside from getting a heads up that TLC was likely not to renew the show, I doubt any of the siblings had any idea what was coming down.    It's entirely likely Anna was in the dark, probably fobbed off with an explanation from JB and Josh about the raid. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
6 hours ago, riverblue22 said:

I hope he restricted his perversion to his computer.  Poor kids~

Remember that guy who was pictured a couple of years ago dining with the Duggars and then a rumor began about him courting Jana (of course) and he angrily denied it (of course). And then maybe a year later he was indicted on some charge of sexual assault of a teenage girl......And the story was that he was a friend of Josh's......Can't remember his name....

So -- picture a bunch of toxic super-Christian "men" with varying connection to the Gothard cult passing around dirty pictures that feature teenage girls, maybe quite young teenish/preteens and some not so young -- just girls girls girls -- all objects  -- a......They're showing off for each other and finding company in which to indulge in horny dumb frat-boy talk and so on.....

Not too dissimilar from the slightly younger toxic-male crowd headed by Steven Anderson nutbag pastor's son (see below) that used a church chat to taunt church girls and say super-aggressive crappy male-jerk stuff -- only this one has photographs .. 

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/nolongerquivering/2020/07/is-there-a-looming-sex-scandal-at-faithful-word-baptist-church/

So much for the fabulous way these people raise males...as well as females.......Their holy anti-sex fixation is just crap. Of course so is a lot of the other stuff they proclaim about sins and virtues. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I wonder how they will handle their SM going forward.

Yeah I'm thinking @JoanArc's point about them being quiet is the best route, but then you have Jinger and Jeremy with a book coming out next week. They likely have contractual obligations to promote, but I am not sure they or the publisher probably want them being terribly visible right now. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 16

I'm sure a fair number of leg humpers will excuse Josh due to Satan causing this behavior. 

Anna may not have known what was going on since it sounds like he used the computer at the car lot. But she should have realized something was hinky after all the property sold and was put in her name only. Sure would have made me suspicious but then I have an education.

Someone who was already arrested might have ratted out Josh, who knows.

Edited by Chicklet
  • Love 15
3 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Remember that guy who was picture a couple of years ago dining with the Duggars and then a rumor began about him courting Jana (of course) and he angrily denied it (of course). And then maybe a year later he was indicted on some charge of sexual assault of a teenage girl......And the story was that he was a friend of Josh's......Can't remember his name....

Caleb Williams

Edited by crazy8s
  • Love 2
Just now, Zella said:

Yeah I'm thinking @JoanArc's point about them being quiet is the best route, but then you have Jinger and Jeremy with a book coming out next week. They likely have contractual obligations to promote, but I am not sure they or the publisher probably want them being terribly visible right now. 

Jeremy staying off social media? How will he live without it?

• LOL 15
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, Zella said:

Man, JerJer has got to be PISSED.

• LOL 12
  • Love 12

Can't wait for the Duggar family statement blaming Josh's arrest on trans persons using public bathrooms because, after all, that's the REAL problem here. /s

Just now, crazy8s said:

Caleb Williams

Thanks.

Hearing that was the kind of guy acknowledged to be buddying with Josh made me nervous.....Groups of angry guys who have been taught that all females are objects and who aren't doing too well in life....Yikes. 

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Future Cat Lady said:

If this goes to trial, maybe some stuff about Josh's life as a kid would be used as a defense? Like, he's like this because of XYZ...

My point is that some stuff about the family could come up.

With charges like this, Josh's only defense is someone else downloaded those pictures.  There is no defending the images and why Josh may have downloaded them.  

**Standard I am not a lawyer disclaimer**

• Love 23
2 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Man, JerJer has got to be PISSED.

2 minutes ago, Future Cat Lady said:

Jeremy doesn't seem to handle adversity well at all. This seems like the sort of thing that could really make him snap. 

• Love 14
11 minutes ago, Annb67 said:

She knew this shit was going on and did nothing. I won’t be convinced of anything else.

Even if she didn't, if he has to stay away from children, she won't have any choice but to leave him and cut him off from seeing them.

• Love 7

The Dugger's are done!   This just killed the show (which I haven't watched or cared about in years).   I think advertisers, book deals, speaking engagements will all be canceled across the board.  They better all look for real jobs.    I don't feel sorry for any of them (except all the minor children).  These holy-rollers thought God would save them, but they got too greedy.    

• Love 21
5 minutes ago, Future Cat Lady said:

He’ll start living off aldi food and thrift store clothes. I’m thinking he’ll be getting a call from McArthur this weekend. Well, I mean the phone will ring and Jeremy will ignore it until someone from the seminary comes to remove them from the house.

How the mighty have fallen!

• Love 14
2 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

With charges like this, Josh's only defense is someone else downloaded those pictures.  There is no defending the images and why Josh may have downloaded them.  

**Standard I am not a lawyer disclaimer**

His actions are undefendable, but they might try to explain why he's like that. Also, wouldn't he be evaluated to see if he's at risk of doing it again.

I'm not a lawyer either.

• Love 5
5 minutes ago, xtwheeler said:

From way back -- Josh is being arraigned in Federal Court. Federal Court does not allow cameras, though they will release an audio recording to satisfy due process. 

The ban on cameras no doubt refers to media coverage, which is a different thing.

As a general rule courtrooms and court proceedings are and must be public.   Yes, there is such a thing as confidential proceedings, but this does not qualify.  If the public does not have access to the courtroom and the proceedings, such as in a pandemic, livestreaming has been used to satisfy the requirement.   

When proceedings here resumed as Zoom hearings after a few days closure last year livestreaming wasn't initially happening.  Very quickly motions began to crop up regarding due process and State Court Administrators Office notified all State Courts that proceedings had to be publicly available (livestreamed) with the exception of those rare matters that would not have had open courtrooms if conducted in person.  It gets very confusing when you deal with matters for which the files are confidential, yet the proceedings are in fact livestreamed because the courtroom is technically open to the public.   You can watch the hearing live, yet if you attempt to look up the case online or request records from the court you are prevented because the file is confidential.  I don't make the rules, I just have to follow them. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
Just now, Churchhoney said:

Let's see if Daddy will pay for an expensive lawyer -- and pony up the big per-charge fine he can easily get hit with in addition to prison time. 

That empire that was going to support dozens of uneducated, nonworking people for decades is looking more vulnerable by the minute. 

The out state lawyer that Zella linked above ticks all the boxes for being the real deal.  To me that indicates the family knew (JB knew anyway) that this was probably an inevitability and preparations were made, legit preparations.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 6