Type keyword(s) to search

Josh & Anna Smuggar: A Series of Unfortunate Events

• Start Topic

1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

I wish we had a livestream link to the courthouse. 

Court proceedings are public.  If courtrooms there are not open for in person attendance by the public they must stream on YouTube in order to meet due process requirements.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
Just now, Tikichick said:

Court proceedings are public.  If courtrooms there are not open for in person attendance by the public they must stream on YouTube in order to meet due process requirements.

I don't know if that is necessarily true all the time. A lot of times proceedings are closed. A recent case that was making the news was absolutely not being recorded, so all the reporters were trying to hit up court reporters for info on jury reaction to key revelations. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 minute ago, Zella said:

The court paperwork for Josh's real estate thingy is kind of a clusterfuck to sort out. But just from tentatively eyeballing it, I think he had the same legal team from his Springdale lawsuit. My guess would be all his attorneys were from Story's law firm. It will be interesting to see if he continues that today. 

IDK, but I'm guessing this firm is a civil litigation firm.   He will need criminal representation, and criminal representation that operates in the federal arena.   Depending on the nature of the charges it's recommended he have representation very familiar with navigating the specifics of whatever he's charged with.

He's running with the big dogs, best not show up with a team that is only fit for the porch. 

• Love 11

IDK, but I'm guessing this firm is a civil litigation firm.   He will need criminal representation, and criminal representation that operates in the federal arena.   Depending on the nature of the charges it's recommended he have representation very familiar with navigating the specifics of whatever he's charged with.

He's running with the big dogs, best not show up with a team that is only fit for the porch. 

They claim to handle both civil and criminal matters, though there are better attorneys to use in the area, anyway. I think the main reason they use Story is because he shares their political and religious beliefs. Not the best method for picking an attorney in general. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 4
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

I don't know if that is necessarily true all the time. A lot of times proceedings are closed. A recent case that was making the news was absolutely not being recorded, so all the reporters were trying to hit up court reporters for info on jury reaction to key revelations. 

There are provisions for confidential matters.   It is highly unlikely this matter today will qualify. 

11 minutes ago, PrincessPurrsALot said:

I assume their lawyer will be wearing a large cross and an American flag pin in an attempt to show Josh as a godly, righteous man, a loving, proud, upstanding father of 6 soon to be 7 who is a role model to his brood, a loving husband devoted to his wife . . . . you know, all of the things he's not. 

4 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

If they're clinging to those types of ideas as a defense posture, he may as well plead today to whatever they've got, straight up, and save everybody a lot of time, a lot of money and more frenzied publicity.

I agree, that stuff is as likely to backfire as to succeed. There are a lot of church-going Christians in good old Bible Belt Arkansas who would be disgusted by that kind of stunt.

I'm sure there are plenty of fundies who would lap that stuff, but I'm not so sure that more mainstream Christians would leap to the conclusion that Smuggar's being unfairly targeted. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

There are provisions for confidential matters.   It is highly unlikely this matter today will qualify. 

I know. I was just questioning the assertion that all courtrooms must stream on YouTube as a matter of due process. That's obviously not true in closed proceedings. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 7
56 minutes ago, realityfan26 said:

This is a far-fetched guess, but could JB have set Josh up for a financial fall in order to get Josh confined with no opportunity for his vices?

I think that's the opposite of what JB wants. I was thinking that if it's a financial crime, JB will throw another son under the bus to be sure Josh doesn't go to prison alone. JB can't control Josh's every movement in prison -- knowing that someone else is doing so doesn't make it any better.

If Josh were in prison alone, he could take college classes, read books, watch television, and make friends (a little far-fetched, but possible). Josh is used to being monitored 24/7, I think prison would be liberating for him.

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
1 minute ago, cmr2014 said:

I think that's the opposite of what JB wants. I was thinking that if it's a financial crime, JB will throw another son under the bus to be sure Josh doesn't go to prison alone. JB can't control Josh's every movement in prison -- knowing that someone else is doing so doesn't make it any better.

If Josh were in prison alone, he could take college classes, read books, watch television, and make friends (a little far-fetched, but possible). Josh is used to being monitored 24/7, I think prison would be liberating for him.

If you mean JB would engineer a second son being sent to prison as some type of accountability partner for Josh, that won't happen.   Co conspirators aren't placed together by policy.

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

From your keyboard to God's ears.  JB had better be ready to write some big checks to some lawyers who know their arse from their elbow when it comes to federal criminal cases. 

I wonder if Josh has scrubbed his financial setup in anticipation of civil and/or criminal litigation, so that he'd qualify for a federal public defender? Idle thought. . . but intriguing. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 4

Argh! I'm going to be virtual teaching and I can't risk the kids seeing my Duggar fall watching face.

As for what's coming with TLC, I suspect much depends on the charges. If it's not financial, I suspect it might just be the last toxic straw, even if Josh isn't on the show, especially combined with crappy ratings. If it is financial, and limited to Josh then I can see TLC, ahem Counting On. If JB and the other brothers Duggar are involved on the other hand, I'd imagine their riveting 'Easter' special might just be the last we see of  them (oh please! oh please!)

• Love 14
3 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

If you mean JB would engineer a second son being sent to prison as some type of accountability partner for Josh, that won't happen.   Co conspirators aren't placed together by policy.

Menendez brothers aren’t even in the same prison to this day. 

• Useful 1

KNWA reporter is saying the court proceedings will be via Zoom, by the way, so no YouTube streaming. 

Oh this is juicy but probably also SOP KNWA also saying reporters explicitly told NO social media use from them until after it is over.

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 7
  • Love 1

I wonder if his smug mug shot is him thinking..I did not do anything so this is nothing,  or I have been through stuff before I will be home soon and this will be over with no worries.  If so I think he may be in for a surprise. 

• Love 3

KNWA reporter is saying the court proceedings will be via Zoom, by the way, so no YouTube streaming. 

Oh this is juicy KNWA also saying reporters explicitly told NO social media use from them until after it is over.

What would that imply?

Oh this is juicy but probably also SOP KNWA also saying reporters explicitly told NO social media use from them until after it is over.

Um, courtrooms all over the country have been live streaming Zoom hearings for over a year.   

I ordinarily work in a courthouse and have been working from home since last year. 

1 minute ago, Tikichick said:

Um, courtrooms all over the country have been live streaming Zoom hearings for over a year.   

I ordinarily work in a courthouse and have been working from home since last year. 

I know they have. I was just clarifying what you were saying earlier about streaming on YouTube. That's clearly not happening here. 

I saw that when I was checking local news hashtags, and since we'd just been discussing it, it seemed relevant to add. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 5
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

I know they have. I was just clarifying what you were saying earlier about streaming on YouTube. That's clearly not happening here. 

The courthouse I normally work in, and courthouses all over our state and those in other states are using Zoom much as everyone else in various business and school settings have.  Those same Zoom hearings are livestreamed on YouTube to meet due process requirements, as Zoom proceedings on their own are meetings by invitation only.    

Edited by Tikichick
  • Useful 1

The courthouse I normally work in, and courthouses all over our state and those in other states are using Zoom much as everyone else in various business and school settings have.  Those same Zoom hearings are livestreamed on YouTube to meet due process requirements.   

Okay, but I'm not seeing where that is happening here. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Zella
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Wow thanks ! I didn’t know that. Hope they are sharing a cell too ! 

As far as I can find out (via Google), they are in the same housing unit, but different cells.  They see each other every day.

• Love 2
34 minutes ago, Tikichick said:

Oh great! Could you send me a link?

• Love 4
Just now, GeeGolly said:

Oh great! Could you send me a link?

I don't even know what courthouse this is being held at.   If you do, look up the court's website and see if they have the streaming details listed, or if that particular courthouse happens to be open to the public.  

I am pretty sure, regardless of what happens elsewhere, that they are not streaming, for whatever reason. Another local reporter has said KNWA will be on the call  (which seems unnecessary if it is streamed), and I can find absolutely no streaming links anywhere on the court site or on YouTube. If someone has a link, I would love to know, but I cannot find one. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 2
  • Love 9

TLC....please cancel them and put an end to the gravy train.  

JB, Meechelle, Jessa, Jingle, the whole lot of them are lying liars who lie.  This is a total headscratcher because how does lying and being secretive about the truth regarding everything serve Jesus?  Is this Christian behavior?  Well, I can answer my own question.  Lying keeps the money rolling in because it doesn't drive away people who would be disgusted by the truth of what they stand for.  

I have sympathy for Anna to a point.  She is a brainwashed member of a cult.  However, look at how many of the most brainwashed have escaped various cults.  You see some horror a few too many times and typically a light bulb goes off.  Wake up, Anna.  

It's funny how often someone who never pays for a horrendous crime (OJ, I'm looking at you) always ends up doing themselves in in a different way.  Karma and all that, Joshie.  

I was taught not to take pleasure in someone elses pain but this seems all pretty well deserved for this group of awful, obnoxious people.  Grab the popcorn. 

• Love 7

Follow up tweet is saying KNWA is waiting for the US Attorney's office to send out the indictment. Will we know the charges then? Or will they continue to remain secret? How normal is that? 

• Love 1

If the hearing is in Fayetteville, I'd not be surprised if it's before a magistrate (vs. a full-fledged federal judge). Magistrate Judges conduct hearings of that sort (advisements, bail hearings, other preliminary matters short of the full trial).

And . . . the Chief Magistrate Judge for the US District Court for the Western District of Arkansas - is a woman.  Who's listed as being located in Fayetteville. Take that, Mr. Patriarch JB Duggar.

Oh, and also - the Chief JUDGE of the US District Court for the Western District of Arkansas - is also a woman. Heh.

ETA: I was writing this when the news broke. Here are screenshots:

Screen-Shot-2021-04-30-at-10_25.44-AM.thumb.jpg.f8c2963393262d4d74b2c58c441e3546.jpg

Screen-Shot-2021-04-30-at-10_26.10-AM.thumb.jpg.a5edcf2bfc6426214a4270b7f6018281.jpg

Edited by Jeeves
  • Useful 6
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8