Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

The ownership situation is the big question, not how they got money. 

What did they do with the house besides the new kitchen and painting? 

They’re both big questions. They don’t own this house. 

4 hours ago, Dehumidifier said:

Did she ever actually say who paid for the renovations?

She’s a known liar, so that wouldn’t mean much. 🤷‍♀️

• Like 5
  • Useful 1
On 11/11/2023 at 6:39 PM, CalicoKitty said:

I think it would be just like JB to fund expensive projects for Jessa, or give her a good allowance, just to spite Jill.  Jessa is toeing the line, after all.

If JB refused to pay for Jill's medical bills when she was still the poster child for Duggar perfection, I don't think there's anyway that he's paying for Jessa and Ben's renovations on a home they don't even own.

On 11/11/2023 at 7:52 PM, graybrown bird said:

He looks like a guy who takes himself absolutely seriously, without humor of any kind.  I think when he stares down at that book for Jessa's photo he's thinking he is the perfect model of a patriarch.  Ugh!

I know the popular narrative is that Ben is the "victim" in his marriage to Jessa, but Jessa has always been the one I felt sorry for in that duo (as much as I'm capable of sympathizing with religious fanatics, which isn't much). I remember when they were courting and he would get really serious when she would tease him about something. Or how she had to fake being thrilled with his corny grand gestures because he refused to adjust when it was obvious that she didn't like it.

As stupid as I find social media "influencing" and generally posting about ones' relationship, that Ben can't even be bothered to crack a smile for a picture he knows Jessa is going to post speaks volumes to me. It's not Jessa is constantly posting about him, so he doesn't have that as an excuse.

• Like 10
  • Useful 7
15 minutes ago, oliviabenson said:

For what they paid for renovations they could have bought a house.

If they did all those renovations for a rental they are dumb.

There has to be some kind of funky deal going on with that house and the renovations. Jessa's no brain trust but I think all the Duggar kids know enough about real estate to not do something that stupid. I'd wondered if this was all Ben's idea and Jessa went along with in an ill-timed attempt to keep him sweet (like how I think it went down with Spurgeon's name), but I'm not sure even Ben is that dumb.

Is it possible for them to have some type of partial ownership of the home without it being public record?

• Like 3
  • Useful 1

Does the church's legal description "except out" or "less out" any of the whole parcel? If so, that part might not be owned by the church. Something is cooking over there at Chez Seewald and that church. Why would anyone completely renovate a house with major construction changes that they don't own? We'll stay tuned for any further developments on this.

• Like 5
7 minutes ago, floridamom said:

Does the church's legal description "except out" or "less out" any of the whole parcel? If so, that part might not be owned by the church. Something is cooking over there at Chez Seewald and that church. Why would anyone completely renovate a house with major construction changes that they don't own? We'll stay tuned for any further developments on this.

I would say they " own " the church and the house is part of the church...and they live there as part of the deal..its considered a parsonage...

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Useful 3
51 minutes ago, floridamom said:

I don't see such a thing.

Legal:LOT 13 SW NE 220/538 Immanuel Baptist Church

There are 3 thin strips of land along the sides listed separately that the church also owns.

There was a survey done on the property in 2020. But nothing after that. Jessa and Ben are not paying taxes on it and have no property in their names in Washington County that I can see.

• Thanks 1
  • Useful 11
On 11/11/2023 at 9:38 PM, Zella said:

I think at the end of the day, he would rather be scaring his kids about hell than spending one-on-one time with Jessa, and these are really the best pictures she could get. I think he's well aware how his glowering comes across in pictures, and she's also well aware that he's well aware. I have a really hard time believing they don't hate each other. 

💯 I think they’re both in a loveless marriage.  Personally, I can’t imagine anything worse, but I guess it’ll have to work for the two of them because they’re not allowed to get a divorce.

• Like 2
  • Sad 10
7 hours ago, lascuba said:

I know the popular narrative is that Ben is the "victim" in his marriage to Jessa, but Jessa has always been the one I felt sorry for in that duo (as much as I'm capable of sympathizing with religious fanatics, which isn't much). I remember when they were courting and he would get really serious when she would tease him about something. Or how she had to fake being thrilled with his corny grand gestures because he refused to adjust when it was obvious that she didn't like it.

As stupid as I find social media "influencing" and generally posting about ones' relationship, that Ben can't even be bothered to crack a smile for a picture he knows Jessa is going to post speaks volumes to me. It's not Jessa is constantly posting about him, so he doesn't have that as an excuse.

Honestly, I know they're all adults and they made their beds etc. (plus I share your limited sympathy for fanatics), but I feel badly for most of gen 2. The only way for them to get away from

- your family completely controlling your life

- doing all the work so Ma and Pa can swan around "winning souls" or whatever they tell people their doing 

- no friends or social life outside of your siblings (who are encouraged to snitch on you)

- Accountability partners

- No individual attention (oooh don't forget that 15 min appointment once every two weeks!)

- Thrilling conversations around favourite Bible verses and why sinners and liberals suck.

- No real identity outside of the labour you provide to the family (see Jessa, the one who packs). 

Is to find a fellow fundie who is mildly tolerable, make a big show of being "best friends" and smooching in pics and get married before you've ever had a chance to figure out who you are and what you want.

Is tragic...I mean not as tragic as how some of them, Jessa are recreating that for another generation but yeah, it's still sad.

• Like 9
  • Sad 4
  • Applause 2

That's an interesting question of if an individual or couple can own a church and have it remain a tax exempt entity.  The churches I'm used to are owned by the religious organization or a non-profit organization.  

• Like 8
1 minute ago, Absolom said:

That's an interesting question of if an individual or couple can own a church and have it remain a tax exempt entity.  The churches I'm used to are owned by the religious organization or a non-profit organization.  

IFB is another kettle of fish. There is no "organization."

• Like 4

Right they're the ones held by a non-profit type organization or corporation.  There are the Steve Anderson type places, but they rent a space and don't go for tax-exempt status because of oversight.  

• Like 4

Jessa and Ben, or JB and company can be the organization, or part of one. They could have established an organization and then bought out this failing church. Just the kind of deal JB likes and the bonus of no taxes.

Maybe the Dillard Family Ministry owns it. 🤣🙃😉🤣

• LOL 4
13 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Jessa and Ben, or JB and company can be the organization, or part of one. They could have established an organization and then bought out this failing church. Just the kind of deal JB likes and the bonus of no taxes.

Maybe the Dillard Family Ministry owns it. 🤣🙃😉🤣

Could they have a very long-term lease that essentially would be like owning it?  There wouldn't be a public record of that, would there?

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Suzn said:

Could they have a very long-term lease that essentially would be like owning it?  There wouldn't be a public record of that, would there?

I can't imagine the church giving a long lease to a newly minted preacher and his wife.  What if Ben didn't work out and they needed to replace him?  What if he somehow managed to move along to a bigger congregation after a year or two?

The lease couldn't have been for more than a couple years, tops, IMO.

• Like 7
  • Useful 2
3 hours ago, Notabug said:

I can't imagine the church giving a long lease to a newly minted preacher and his wife.  What if Ben didn't work out and they needed to replace him?  What if he somehow managed to move along to a bigger congregation after a year or two?

The lease couldn't have been for more than a couple years, tops, IMO.

You're right of course.  I was trying to make sense of the senseless.  I'm out of ideas that would justify their major investment in property they don't own.

• Like 14

I just recently watched a YouTube video about Christian courtship that referred to a few Fundie influencer couples. Two of the three couples shown seem to really dislike each other, and I think Ben and Jessa exhibit the same body language and facial expressions as the couples who courted God's way and married within a year of meeting each other.  Honestly, I used to sort of feel kinda bad for both Jessa and Ben, but I can't muster much sympathy for them at the moment. I just hope they at least have a civil relationship.

• Like 15

You compare Jessa and Ben to Carlin (Bates) and Evan and the contrast is vast. J&B are boring, unfun, religious zealots and C&E are immature, airhead influencers. Both marriages look like messes, but I think that is just who they are.

• Like 8
On 11/12/2023 at 8:29 AM, floridamom said:

If Ben is so unhappy with Jessa, and I do believe that he is, why is he still "making blessings" with her? I can't imagine it'a a great experience for him. Jessa is so cold and dictatorial. I agree those home improvements cost a pretty penny...no way Jessa could afford them. Jim Bob must be doling out her share of the profits in exchange for her signature on that lifetime of indenture "contract". What a terrible life for her and for Ben. No wonder he's miserable.

Maybe Jessa is a wildcat in the bedroom?  At face value, she appears to be a “hurry up and get it over with” kind of gal, but you never know!  I used to sit with an elderly lady.  She and her husband were the pillars of the community, and their outward appearance would make anyone think that they were both cold as ice physically.  They appeared to have an ice cold relationship.  However, once she became comfortable with me, she started telling me all about her marriage, and she and her husband set the bedroom on fire (if you know what I mean), sometimes multiple times/day, and they kept it up (pun intended🤭) well into their 70’s!  As difficult as it is to imagine, maybe that’s what bonds Ben and Jessa. 

• Like 5
  • Mind Blown 6
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 8
On 11/13/2023 at 4:40 PM, Dimi1 said:

I would say they " own " the church and the house is part of the church...and they live there as part of the deal..its considered a parsonage...

I also think it’s a parsonage.  I think the church paid for the house upgrades knowing that they can sell the house, if they need/want to.  It’s not as common nowadays but here in KY, churches used to always provide a house (parsonage) for the pastor and his family to live in.  My church always provided housing for our pastor, but at some point the church decided not to do that anymore, so they sold the house and made a nice profit from the sale.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1
On 11/13/2023 at 7:01 PM, satrunrose said:

Honestly, I know they're all adults and they made their beds etc. (plus I share your limited sympathy for fanatics), but I feel badly for most of gen 2. The only way for them to get away from

- your family completely controlling your life

- doing all the work so Ma and Pa can swan around "winning souls" or whatever they tell people their doing 

- no friends or social life outside of your siblings (who are encouraged to snitch on you)

- Accountability partners

- No individual attention (oooh don't forget that 15 min appointment once every two weeks!)

- Thrilling conversations around favourite Bible verses and why sinners and liberals suck.

- No real identity outside of the labour you provide to the family (see Jessa, the one who packs). 

Is to find a fellow fundie who is mildly tolerable, make a big show of being "best friends" and smooching in pics and get married before you've ever had a chance to figure out who you are and what you want.

Is tragic...I mean not as tragic as how some of them, Jessa are recreating that for another generation but yeah, it's still sad.

Whatever the Seewald kids living conditions are, I can guarantee that they have it much better than the Rodrigues offspring.

• Like 11
  • Sad 1
1 hour ago, farmgal4 said:

I also think it’s a parsonage.  I think the church paid for the house upgrades knowing that they can sell the house, if they need/want to.  It’s not as common nowadays but here in KY, churches used to always provide a house (parsonage) for the pastor and his family to live in.  My church always provided housing for our pastor, but at some point the church decided not to do that anymore, so they sold the house and made a nice profit from the sale.

Our Lutheran church--actually all the Lutheran churches I know--had parsonages.  In the late 1960's-early 1970's, most congregations restructured the Pastor's salary and paid part of the Pastor's housing so they could buy a house and earn equity.  Many of the parsonages were turned into church offices or classrooms and are still on the property.  Some congregations sold the house.  I don't know any church that has a parsonage anymore.

• Like 1
  • Useful 7
1 hour ago, farmgal4 said:

Maybe Jessa is a wildcat in the bedroom?  At face value, she appears to be a “hurry up and get it over with” kind of gal, but you never know!  I used to sit with an elderly lady.  She and her husband were the pillars of the community, and their outward appearance would make anyone think that they were both cold as ice physically.  They appeared to have an ice cold relationship.  However, once she became comfortable with me, she started telling me all about her marriage, and she and her husband set the bedroom on fire (if you know what I mean), sometimes multiple times/day, and they kept it up (pun intended🤭) well into their 70’s!  As difficult as it is to imagine, maybe that’s what bonds Ben and Jessa. 

As someone who talks to women about their sex lives every day, I can attest to this.  Some of the unlikeliest people have the hottest sex lives.

• Like 13
  • LOL 6
5 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

Does anyone beside me think Jessa had the baby already?

Does anyone truly care? 😆

5 hours ago, BetyBee said:

That's actually kind of a cute pic, with natural smiles. Ben looks like he focuses mostly on his arms in his workouts.

Why is his head so huge?

• LOL 13