Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

(edited)

Hope they've gotten the DPT series of shots. If the DPT series is still a thing. In other words I hope they're protected against tetanus. 

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Love 7
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Hope they've gotten the DPT series of shots. If the DPT series is still a thing. In other words I hope they're protected against tetanus. 

There are various versions of tetnus, diptheria, and pertussis vaccine. Kids usually get a DTaP series as part of their childhood vaccines.

Adults are given a either a TDaP or a DT for the tetnus/diptheria coverage every 10 years (though a lot of providers now won't give you a choice and just do a TDaP for everyone because the extra pertussis doesn't hurt and they found when they stopped vaccinating adults for pertussis more kids ended up with it), and pregnant women get a TDaP with every pregnancy, regardless of timing. It's also recommended to get a TDaP at least once in your life as an adult if you're around children. And everyone will at least get a DT if it's suspected you've been exposed.

All that to say, do we have a history of the Duggars being anti-vaccine? I'm not aware either way.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
23 minutes ago, McManda said:

There are various versions of tetnus, diptheria, and pertussis vaccine. Kids usually get a DTaP series as part of their childhood vaccines.

Adults are given a either a TDaP or a DT for the tetnus/diptheria coverage every 10 years (though a lot of providers now won't give you a choice and just do a TDaP for everyone because the extra pertussis doesn't hurt and they found when they stopped vaccinating adults for pertussis more kids ended up with it), and pregnant women get a TDaP with every pregnancy, regardless of timing. It's also recommended to get a TDaP at least once in your life as an adult if you're around children. And everyone will at least get a DT if it's suspected you've been exposed.

All that to say, do we have a history of the Duggars being anti-vaccine? I'm not aware either way.

I don’t think any of my medical providers have ever even mentioned these.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Annb67 said:

Hey Jessa Blessa? If you're already that defensive and people bother you because they don't orgasm everytime you post something, do yourself a favor and bounce right out of social media. 

Bitch.

She really is a bitch. And would putting shoes on the boys ruin their groove? Such an easy thing to do to avoid a possibility of harm.

• Love 16

I'm pretty sure I spent the bulk of my childhood barefoot. I'm certain my kids did. Many of us did likewise, and Jessa seems to also be of the barefoot persuasion. And, yes, she has learned that people are going to comment about it, so she's just being proactive. Not sure how that (specifically) makes her a bitch. I personally think these photos are rather sweet.

Not that she doesn't have her share of faults and snarkworthy traits and Duggar blight, but I can't twist a couple of barefoot kids into cause for vilification.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, McManda said:

I've wondered that, too. If they are, they're keeping it very quiet. 

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

I don’t think any of my medical providers have ever even mentioned these.

They're functionally all the same, just different variations of (T)etnus, (D)iptheria, and acellular (P)ertussis. 

A DTaP is indicated for patients under 11 and contains all three. 

A TDaP is indicated for patients over 11.

A TD is indicated for adults and doesn't contain the acellular pertussis.

A DTP isn't a thing anymore because they changed the version of pertussis they used. Kids used to get a DTP, now they get a DTaP.

At least, that's how it works in my area, but I'd assume those are CDC guidelines. Your health care provider might have used the vaccine name - we use Adacel for our TDaP vaccine, but there are others. (We don't give DTaPs because they're usually covered as a childhood vaccines and done by a pediatrician, and honestly, there's not a real good reason for the majority of people to forego a TDaP in favor of a TD, imo.)

• Useful 3
  • Love 1

I don't think that they're active anti-vaxxers, they're just cheap. I don't think any of them has insurance, and I don't think that any of the children receive well-baby care. Since they're all "home schooled" they aren't required to get any normal vaccinations. And, since they're all into this "easy-going, bare-footed, home-spun hillbilly crap" they should expect a trip or two to the emergency room every year for the next 20 years.

• Love 12
36 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I'm pretty sure I spent the bulk of my childhood barefoot. I'm certain my kids did. Many of us did likewise, and Jessa seems to also be of the barefoot persuasion. And, yes, she has learned that people are going to comment about it, so she's just being proactive. Not sure how that (specifically) makes her a bitch. I personally think these photos are rather sweet.

Not that she doesn't have her share of faults and snarkworthy traits and Duggar blight, but I can't twist a couple of barefoot kids into cause for vilification.

Did you live on a farm or in a rural area with pickup trucks full of barbed wire, nails, stones and dirt?  We wore shoes and socks outside at all times and the men wore heavy duty work shoes.  Never, ever, were toddlers allowed barefoot anywhere outside around work vehicles like shown in her pictures.  The mental risk of infection from tetanus, even with vaccines, was always present. As was the horrible smell on your hands if you touched rusted metal without gloves, nails included.  We no longer live in the poverty stricken world of the depression or the Dust Bowl.

There are a zillion better cutsier places for toddlers to be photographed playing barefoot in dirt, like a public park.

• Love 20
27 minutes ago, DangerousMinds said:

Barefoot in the backyard, fine. Barefoot around barbed wire and nails, not so much.

Especially at their ages.

I also grew up playing outside in bare feet but I dont think my mom or dad let us walk barefoot inside a pickup with rusty & dirty crap incl nails in it as toddlers. 

BTw,  I learned my lesson walking barefoot in the grass when I  got a bee sting as a teenager.  Shoes from now on for me. 

• Love 3

My brother-in-law's niece & husband became hippie type of people & didn't believe in shots for the kids. One son nearly died from Pertussis/whooping cough.  It did a number on his lungs and it seems like every time he catches a simple cold he ends up in the hospital.  I think the doctors finally got thru to the parents after the kids near death experience &  the kids were brought up to date on their vaccines.

It would be interesting to know if the Duggar grands get vaccinated.  We've seen pictures of them at the dentist but not sure at the doctors. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, Barb23 said:

Especially at their ages.

I also grew up playing outside in bare feet but I dont think my mom or dad let us walk barefoot inside a pickup with rusty & dirty crap incl nails in it as toddlers. 

BTw,  I learned my lesson walking barefoot in the grass when I  got a bee sting as a teenager.  Shoes from now on for me. 

I also stepped on a bee about age 7. And never went barefoot again!

• Love 4
8 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

She really is a bitch. And would putting shoes on the boys ruin their groove? Such an easy thing to do to avoid a possibility of harm.

They're country, y'all. And that Jess, boy, she's full of sass! 🙄 Personally, I don't care what she does with her kids, but if she had any maturity, she'd realize that as a public figure, when she posts pictures, she's going to get criticism, not just fawning adoration. She wants to have her cake and eat it too.

• Love 19
9 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

I don't think that they're active anti-vaxxers, they're just cheap.

The local health department will set you up with low-cost or no-cost vaccines. There's really no reason to not vaccinate your kids. I hope they have preventative medical care (though I'll agree given the circumstances it's unlikely), otherwise that's how you end up with even bigger ER and hospital bills. 

Okay, of my soapbox. Sometimes it's hard to separate work from non-work. 

• Love 7

FWIW I had the TDaP about a month ago as part of my school physical. They're rerecorded every 10 years and my time had come. I've gotten one every decade of adulthood. I had minor injection site pain of a couple days and that was all. Worth it. I'm around sick kids virtually every day.

2 hours ago, graefin said:

They're country, y'all. And that Jess, boy, she's full of sass! 🙄 Personally, I don't care what she does with her kids, but if she had any maturity, she'd realize that as a public figure, when she posts pictures, she's going to get criticism, not just fawning adoration. She wants to have her cake and eat it too.

I wonder if Jer's church/seminary offered the family one of their social media people to help homogenize their image (and prevent future Derick situations - gotta keep the attention cow mooing). Maybe Jessa turned them down? You don't post much bitchy stuff like that on social media and keep followers. (And yeah, Jessa, you'd instantaneously switch lives with Jinger, don't even pretend).

• Love 7
1 hour ago, McManda said:

The local health department will set you up with low-cost or no-cost vaccines. There's really no reason to not vaccinate your kids. I hope they have preventative medical care (though I'll agree given the circumstances it's unlikely), otherwise that's how you end up with even bigger ER and hospital bills. 

I spent a summer in that area of Arkansas (worked at Walmart headquarters) and had to get vaccinations for graduate school. The doctor I went to didn't have any stock of the one I needed, so he sent me to a clinic that was doing vaccinations for school-aged children, for free. So those options did exist in that area for the Duggars. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 4

Does anybody really think a single Duggar would EVER show up at their country health department for a free vaccination? 

Social media would get one whiff and probably be posting everywhere about "Those millionaires are too cheap to pay for their kids shots!"  That would telegraph they're getting desperate about income. 

Free doughnuts and free drippy sundaes are just standard photo ops.  Free shots and healthcare scream "Poor and Needy".  They'd likely prefer to let their kids suffer. 

Edited by leighdear
  • Love 5
On 4/7/2019 at 1:30 PM, Snow Fairy said:

None of those rooms look cozy to me. Maybe  I just don't have the modern and trendy taste in furniture

They don't look cozy to me either.  I hate shiplap, it never seems warm and comfortable to me. It reminds me of my grandma's old, cold musty house. And the placement of the rugs under the bed is weird to me.  I prefer carpet but t wouldn't you want the rug to be under your feet when you get out of bed? 

• Love 8
9 hours ago, leighdear said:

Social media would get one whiff and probably be posting everywhere about "Those millionaires are too cheap to pay for their kids shots!"  That would telegraph they're getting desperate about income. 

People far more wealthy than the Duggars are far cheaper than them. Also, Jim Bob openly discloses his cheapness. No one would bat an eye. Hell, posting their kids getting shots would improve their social media profile (hint, hint, SM consultant!).

• Love 6
1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

People far more wealthy than the Duggars are far cheaper than them. Also, Jim Bob openly discloses his cheapness. No one would bat an eye. Hell, posting their kids getting shots would improve their social media profile (hint, hint, SM consultant!).

The Duggar children are inherently lazy. Why bother with shots if they don't need to worry about having them for daycare or school since they won't be going anyway. 

If they haven't vaccinated, it isn't due to any cheapness or anti vax bs. Jessa and Jill are just too damn lazy to haul their kids to their well baby appointments. Anna is probably too embarrassed to regularly show her face in public and skips them as well. Joy likely doesn't even know vaccinations are a thing you should do.

• LOL 5
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, JoanArc said:

Either Jill or Jessa will have a post next week about getting the boys vaccinated, just you wait.

• LOL 5
  • Love 11
10 hours ago, Norwindian said:

I prefer carpet but t wouldn't you want the rug to be under your feet when you get out of bed? 

Im with you. My son & his college dorm mate even had a rug on the floor between their beds in college.  Mr Barb made the suggestion & it was a school logo rug so it was ok with them.  It went with him in 3 dorms & 1 apartment & looked much cleaner  than Jessa's. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Barb23 said:

Im with you. My son & his college dorm mate even had a rug on the floor between their beds in college.  Mr Barb made the suggestion & it was a school logo rug so it was ok with them.  It went with him in 3 dorms & 1 apartment & looked much cleaner  than Jessa's. 

Of course your son probably didn't have as many dirty diapers to pile up on the rug.   ;  )

• LOL 6
  • Love 4

My parents must have been terrible parents , we were barefoot and fancy free in the wilds of middle east with dirt, rocks, snakes, scorpions, glass and all sorts of things......and we survived, so I am less outraged by the picture, I think it's a lovely picture of kids playing out doors, exploring their surrounding and not plonked in from of a teevee or a computer.

• Love 21
10 hours ago, JoanArc said:

Jill will insist on giving the shots herself, then accidentally poke both herself and Derick with the needle.

Isn't Jill deathly afraid of needles? I seem to recall an episode where she had to get an injection and became hysterical with fear.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Albanyguy said:

Isn't Jill deathly afraid of needles? I seem to recall an episode where she had to get an injection and became hysterical with fear.

Was that the wisdom tooth extraction, or something at the dentist?

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Jeeves said:

Yeah, I think she went hysterical about being sedated - understandable given the Josh thing.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, Jeeves said:

There were two separate incidents. The first was Jill panicking about anesthesia before the wisdom tooth extraction. The second was during the family's time in Little Rock when Boob rounded up the J'Slaves and told, not asked, but told them they were going to give blood. Jill freaked out over the needle.

• Useful 3
  • Love 2

Everybody go get your TDaP updated because yep I was fully immunized and caught Pertussis from one of my 6 week old patients (who got it from some whack job unvaccinated human being) and I was sick as hell for a month, also lost my voice for 3 months because of the incessant coughing so yea it's a thing and it's misery. (End of public service message). 

But back on track- I fully bet a whole dollar that lots of those kids aren't up to date with vaccines because of ....reasons. And those reasons are Duggars "do things differently" and they are frustratingly arrogant about everything. And they know everything and besides God will protect the Duggars. They are ripe for disaster.

I wonder if Bin even thinks about this stuff or is this all Jessa's department?

• Useful 6
  • Love 4
On 4/9/2019 at 8:00 PM, Jynnan tonnix said:

A part of me wonders if this “barefoot persuasion” thing is 1. Part personal preference, 2. Climate, 3. Geography (rural vs urban etc). I’m NEVER barefoot outside of bathing/getting a pedicure, maybe a private beach. I don’t wear outside shoes in the house but I do love to wear fuzzy socks or slippers. I also grew up and currently live in Chicago IL. I wouldn’t dream of walking outside without shoes on or having a child capable of walking outside without shoes. 

So yes it looks a little odd to me to see children outside without shoes on (unless it’s the beach or pool) but I don’t see it as a parent fail (usually). Around horses (Joy-Anna) or rusty equipment (here) I definitely tilt my head to the side. 

• Love 5
13 minutes ago, Scarlett45 said:

A part of me wonders if this “barefoot persuasion” thing is 1. Part personal preference, 2. Climate, 3. Geography (rural vs urban etc). I’m NEVER barefoot outside of bathing/getting a pedicure, maybe a private beach. I don’t wear outside shoes in the house but I do love to wear fuzzy socks or slippers. I also grew up and currently live in Chicago IL. I wouldn’t dream of walking outside without shoes on or having a child capable of walking outside without shoes. 

So yes it looks a little odd to me to see children outside without shoes on (unless it’s the beach or pool) but I don’t see it as a parent fail (usually). Around horses (Joy-Anna) or rusty equipment (here) I definitely tilt my head to the side. 

I think most of it is personal preference. My feet tend to feel hot much of the time, and I don't like the feeling of having them encased in anything. I hate socks, and will wear sandals - when I have to have footwear - for as much of the year as I can get away with. So basically, anything outside of a snowstorm or truly freezing weather.

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, Jynnan tonnix said:

I think most of it is personal preference. My feet tend to feel hot much of the time, and I don't like the feeling of having them encased in anything. I hate socks, and will wear sandals - when I have to have footwear - for as much of the year as I can get away with. So basically, anything outside of a snowstorm or truly freezing weather.

Ah. I’m someone who’s always cold, I concur humans are a tropical species and I like to be bundled if it’s under 70 degrees. I like sandals because I think I have attractive toes but my feet never “get hot” (none of me ever gets hot!). I could see if you live in AR and your feet get hot going barefoot would be comfortable. 

Still, little children and rusty metal?!! No Jessa no. 😂

• Love 8
3 hours ago, Chicklet said:

Everybody go get your TDaP updated because yep I was fully immunized and caught Pertussis from one of my 6 week old patients (who got it from some whack job unvaccinated human being) and I was sick as hell for a month, also lost my voice for 3 months because of the incessant coughing so yea it's a thing and it's misery. (End of public service message). 

A six-week old? Jesus, that's scary. I hope the baby is going to be okay.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, kbott925 said:

Hi everyone. Sorry to butt in. 

I'm currently watching the seasons of this show...why? I don't know. I came across an episode where Ben states his video game system is in the closet. You can tell he doesn't agree with it and Jessa said "grow up".  After I saw the Flame episode (wow how embarrassing was that?) I realized what I thought all along could be correct. That Ben is the least like the Duggars and is sort of putting on an act or something. I'm not saying he isn't religious, but I have a feeling those two don't agree on things. I remember him saying that his family went to that church just because he wanted to meet Jessa or something. That is a little odd to begin with imo. 

Jessa also seems like the type to wear the pants in the family. She also gets a lot of air time. Something is off with these two lol. 

As for vaccines. I always felt like they don't vaccinate their kids. At least the kids. Michelle and Boob might have. I definitely don't see Jill and Derrick as being the type, but maybe because they travel, they have? I have no idea. I just highly doubt they do.

Ben and Jessa are like the Jon and Kate of Fundiedom.

• LOL 14
  • Love 7