Type keyword(s) to search

Jessa, Ben and Their Brood: Making a (Diaper) Mountain out of a Mold House

Message added by Scarlett45

The Duggars post about politics on social media frequently, but these social media posts are not an invitation to discuss politics here in this forum. This rule extends to Duggar adjacent families, friends, associates etc. Such discussions are a violation of the Politics Policy. 

I understand with recent current events there may be a desire to discuss certain social media postings of those in the Duggar realm as they relate to politics- this is not the place for those discussions. If you believe someone has violated forum rules, report them, do not respond or engage.

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, SMama said:

I wonder if the boys see a pediatrician. Both are cute chubs.

I'm guessing not since Jessa is "pretty sure Henry is heavier". Apparently they didn't have 9 month check-ups or she'd know their weights.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm guessing not since Jessa is "pretty sure Henry is heavier". Apparently they didn't have 9 month check-ups or she'd know their weights.

This cries out for a movie parody scene where some cheap non-too-intelligent fundie tries to weigh their kid on the scale in the produce department, IMO.

• Love 9

Jessa’s “pretty sure” is why I’m wondering. I thought it’d come across as BEC to state she should know not wonder. They are cute chubs but all children need preventive medical care. 

• Love 5
32 minutes ago, Marigold said:

Well, looking at the chubby little boys, Jessa is NOT restricting their food, thank goodness!!! 

Jessa and ben are not perfect but I really think Jessa is growing...even if just a bit. 

Might not be food chubby yet..I breastfed my 4 of my 5  kids exclusively for their first 9 months, and they were all little fatties just from that.

Our pediatrician suggested it because my oldest daughter had horrible allergies because I started her on food way too young.

By the looks of her boys, maybe she should consult with an allergist (ha!) and not start them on food too soon. Looks like Spurge (ugh that name!) has allergic "shiners" under his eyes, and Henry has a snotty nose. 

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 5
3 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Maybe she just doesn't remember the specific number. I doubt I'd remember something that relatively trivial a year and a half later. 

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Heathen said:

Maybe she just doesn't remember the specific number. I doubt I'd remember something that relatively trivial a year and a half later. 

Jessa's pretty anal. I'm sure she has a spreadsheet with info like this on it. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Heathen said:

Maybe not, but tracking the growth of babies is pretty important in their first year and I think she'd at least remember the percentile zone Spurgie was in because most kids stay in the same general area. Its obvious that she is posting the side by side pics to compare them at the same age. She might have said something like both Spurgie and Henry are in the 90th percentile in weight, but I think Henry weighs more.

If I'm remembering correctly 30+ years later, babies are seen by their pediatrician at 2 weeks, 1 month, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months and at 1 year. If Spurgie was staying on a typical growth path she would have heard the same percentile number 6 or 7 times by now.

• Love 5

My suggestion before Jessa takes her boys to an allergist is that she thoroughly clean every room of her house first. Dust, dirt and grime can irritate the nose, ears and eyes. Her house must still be quite dirty as it would need a full week of uninterrupted cleaning. I know, I've cleaned an apartment that was almost as bad as that and I needed 5 full days to do it.

• Love 9
On 11/21/2017 at 6:02 PM, SMama said:

Jessa’s “pretty sure” is why I’m wondering. I thought it’d come across as BEC to state she should know not wonder. They are cute chubs but all children need preventive medical care. 

I wonder if the Duggars vaccinate? 

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

I wonder if the Duggars vaccinate? 

I doubt it, but not because I think they're anti-vaxers. I don't think they take the children to a pediatrician because that costs money. JB is notoriously cheap, and Michael Seewald isn't exactly rolling in cash, so I don't think that Ben and Jessa think of that as the norm. They were also home-schooled, and were not required to get vaccines to enroll in school.

Plus -- not to belabor this point, but -- they're pretty dumb, and they believe that God protects good people (them) and strikes down bad people (others). I'm pretty sure that Jessa "thinks" one weighed more than the other at nine months because she doesn't "know." Again, I think that this post will backfire on her because people will comment on the lack of well baby care they are receiving -- that Jessa doesn't even know they should be receiving -- and she'll fly off the handle.

I think these posts are like drops of water that are slowly eroding support for the family. None of them individually is a big deal, but as people see one after another of children in dangerous situations, filthy homes, disasterous birthing stories, poor health care, etc. the desire to support and defend the family wanes more and more . . .

• Love 17
21 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

I doubt it, but not because I think they're anti-vaxers. I don't think they take the children to a pediatrician because that costs money. JB is notoriously cheap, and Michael Seewald isn't exactly rolling in cash, so I don't think that Ben and Jessa think of that as the norm. They were also home-schooled, and were not required to get vaccines to enroll in school.

Plus -- not to belabor this point, but -- they're pretty dumb, and they believe that God protects good people (them) and strikes down bad people (others). I'm pretty sure that Jessa "thinks" one weighed more than the other at nine months because she doesn't "know." Again, I think that this post will backfire on her because people will comment on the lack of well baby care they are receiving -- that Jessa doesn't even know they should be receiving -- and she'll fly off the handle.

I think these posts are like drops of water that are slowly eroding support for the family. None of them individually is a big deal, but as people see one after another of children in dangerous situations, filthy homes, disasterous birthing stories, poor health care, etc. the desire to support and defend the family wanes more and more . . .

I hope Jill and Derrick at least had Izzy vaccinated before traveling to El Salvador. Many of the childhood diseases we routinely vaccinate for in the US (mumps, measles, etc.) are much more prevalent there. They also have other potentially serious diseases we don’t really worry about here, like typhoid. 

I think you’re right that finances might be the reason the Duggars don’t routinely get medical care. They probably make enough from TLC to not qualify for state-funded health insurance, and it’s not like any of them has a job that would provide medical coverage. I think Jim Bob and Michelle could afford to take their kids to a pediatrician regularly; it’s just not a priority for them. Maybe Jill, Jessa and Joy could afford it too, but i’m less sure about that.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, mynextmistake said:

I hope Jill and Derrick at least had Izzy vaccinated before traveling to El Salvador. Many of the childhood diseases we routinely vaccinate for in the US (mumps, measles, etc.) are much more prevalent there. They also have other potentially serious diseases we don’t really worry about here, like typhoid. 

I think you’re right that finances might be the reason the Duggars don’t routinely get medical care. They probably make enough from TLC to not qualify for state-funded health insurance, and it’s not like any of them has a job that would provide medical coverage. I think Jim Bob and Michelle could afford to take their kids to a pediatrician regularly; it’s just not a priority for them. Maybe Jill, Jessa and Joy could afford it too, but i’m less sure about that.

I think that Derick has a more normal childhood than Jill -- his father was a police officer and his mother worked at WalMart, so I'm pretty sure they had health insurance. Plus, of course, he was one of two children. I would certainly believe that he had regular checkups and vaccinations as a child. Izzy would have had to have had the appropriate vaccinations (as would Jill and Derick) to travel to DA.

Ben's family is Vision Forum, and his father did the whole "working for himself" thing, he is one of 6 or 7 kids, and his parents home-schooled. It wouldn't surprise me if there was little, or no, medical care except in emergencies -- like the Duggars. I just don't think it's the norm in their world to take a healthy child to a doctor.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

I think that Derick has a more normal childhood than Jill -- his father was a police officer and his mother worked at WalMart, so I'm pretty sure they had health insurance. Plus, of course, he was one of two children. I would certainly believe that he had regular checkups and vaccinations as a child. Izzy would have had to have had the appropriate vaccinations (as would Jill and Derick) to travel to DA.

Ben's family is Vision Forum, and his father did the whole "working for himself" thing, he is one of 6 or 7 kids, and his parents home-schooled. It wouldn't surprise me if there was little, or no, medical care except in emergencies -- like the Duggars. I just don't think it's the norm in their world to take a healthy child to a doctor.

I wouldn't be surprised if SOS Ministries made everyone in the family have full childhood vaccines, if lacking in any way.  Any time I enrolled in college, even community, I was required to proffer vaccination proofs; and even in one instance, for a Christian weekend camp where we were in cabins.  Turns out I was behind on a batch of shots; though I can't swear if this is because they retroactively changed vaccination requirements for kids or not, because my parents are scrupulous about those things (I'd had at least one of every category in the battery of tests that I was supposed to have; and in some instances I had two.  I don't think I ever got three of anything.  I made it out of childhood with "just" chicken pox and a couple dozen strep throats/tonsillitis; but managed to keep my tonsils.)

• Love 3
10 hours ago, cmr2014 said:

I don't know about Arkansas, but in NJ the towns have well baby clinics, and a town nurse who actually spends the week covering several small towns. Services are free and it's not only for those with low income. My grandson needed a TB test for college, and for some reason his pediatrician didn't perform it. He called and spoke to the nurse and  got an app't for the next day. There was no charge, even though his dad has good insurance coverage and was able to pay.

If the Duggars went to a hospital out patient clinic, then the hospital would require proof of income before registering the children for services. WIth the TLC income, they probably wouldn't qualify.

If they aren't vaccinating because of the expense they're playing with fire. With that many people living in and around their compound, they could start their own third world epidemic in no time.

• Love 8

We don't know if they vaccinate or not, so I won't speculate on that.  We can't be sure about well baby care either.  But we know for sure there are loads of dust bunnies and dirty diapers on the dresser. 

• Love 7
10 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

If they wanted to get back into the US, they had to show proof of vaccination for certain diseases.  My sister went to Malawi a few years ago, and she had to get a whole string of boosters and vaccinations to show when she returned to the country. And, we’re a family that gets every vaccination out there. 

Topic?  Jessa may be a terrible housekeeper and cook, but she does make cute kids.  And, she seems like an involved mom (unlike her own mother).  She just needs to slow down the baby making, or she will start to check out. 

Edited by irisheyes
  • Love 8

On the old show didn't we see the kids going to doctors?   I remember Josh and others at the dentist.  Jenny or Johannah needed glasses and wasn't there an episode where the flu or strep went thru the family and Jim Bob got antibiotics.  Honestly, I don't know where it started that they don't go to doctors or believe in medicine so I'm just asking.

• Love 3
7 minutes ago, flyingdi said:

On the old show didn't we see the kids going to doctors?   I remember Josh and others at the dentist.  Jenny or Johannah needed glasses and wasn't there an episode where the flu or strep went thru the family and Jim Bob got antibiotics.  Honestly, I don't know where it started that they don't go to doctors or believe in medicine so I'm just asking.

That's where it came from. On the old show, they had an episode where the kids were sick, so they took one kid to the doctor and then got the same medicine for all of the kids.

They never showed any well child care, like vaccines. If they had, it would have been a whole show of J'chelle explaining how she maintained the schedule of who needed vaccines and when, and piling them all in the bus to go to the doctor, or whatever other sort of spectacle they could have created.

• Love 12
31 minutes ago, cmr2014 said:

That's where it came from. On the old show, they had an episode where the kids were sick, so they took one kid to the doctor and then got the same medicine for all of the kids.

That is way beyond cheap to take just one child to the doctor. Did the doctor give them prescriptions for children he had not examined? Did he just tell them to get OTC meds? Honestly curious here.

• Love 5

I vaguely remember something about that.  I think that all or a lot of the kids were sick, so they took a few to the doctor.  Then they spread the antibiotics among all the sick kids, since they all had the same illness.  Jana was the one doling out the meds and explaining how they do it because they're Duggars and they always do things differently from the people who don't have Too Many Kids and Counting.  I think that when they remembered to, they lined up the sick kids and Jana went down the line dosing them.  She also used the same measuring spoon for each kid.  I assume JB&M were off working on the next blessing or something.

• Love 13

If they shared one child’s medication among 2-3 more kids it would not help at all. Maybe I’m way off base here but they don’t give extra. The prescribed medicine is intended to be taken in full to alleviate the problem. What a bunch of dumb asses. Cheap out on medical care, feed the children from love offerings, but blow a quarter of a million bucks on a senate race. I think if Boob and Mullet make it to heaven God is personally going to smack them on the side of the head. Then he will kick their asses down to hell where they belong.

Edited by SMama
  • Love 14
11 minutes ago, SMama said:

If they shared one child’s medication among 2-3 more kids it would not help at all. Maybe I’m way off base here but they don’t give extra. The prescribed medicine is intended to be taken in full to alleviate the problem. What a bunch of dumb asses. Cheap out on medical care, feed the children from love offerings, but blow a quarter of a million bucks on a senate race. I think if Boob and Mullet make it to heaven God is personally going to smack them on the side of the head. Then he will kick their asses down to hell where they belong.

I would love to see JB being pushed around in an office chair while he is so sick and miserable by one or more Duggar child or grandchild while the kids talk about how they were abused by him and Michelle while he is slowly dying. Maybe Jana would put the both of them in a nasty nursing home where the care is poor and the kids and grandchildren do not visit them and/or give a damn about them. The worse part would be Josh as the oldest son and child would take over the family finances. *shudder*

4 hours ago, bythelake said:

I don't know about Arkansas, but in NJ the towns have well baby clinics, and a town nurse who actually spends the week covering several small towns. Services are free and it's not only for those with low income. My grandson needed a TB test for college, and for some reason his pediatrician didn't perform it. He called and spoke to the nurse and  got an app't for the next day. There was no charge, even though his dad has good insurance coverage and was able to pay.

If the Duggars went to a hospital out patient clinic, then the hospital would require proof of income before registering the children for services. WIth the TLC income, they probably wouldn't qualify.

If they aren't vaccinating because of the expense they're playing with fire. With that many people living in and around their compound, they could start their own third world epidemic in no time.

There’s a federal program called Vaccines for Kids that provides all the basic vaccines to providers at virtually no cost for all kids under 18.  Even the HPV vaccine is included.  Many towns give immunizations free to kids using this program.  My sister, a suburban mom with good insurance, was given the local public clinic’s schedule as well as a list of when the various vaccines were due by her private pediatrician. He encouraged her to get her kids vaccinated at the public clinic since his costs for storage and administration in his office were definitely higher. The Duggars have access to cheap/free vaccines for their kids, if they’re not vaccinating, it’s not the cost that’s stopping them.

• Love 10

Michelle made it a point of sharing just about every aspect of how she ran the household in regard to the kids, from charts on the wall, school tags clipped on the kids shirts, the community closet, jurisdictions, where they bought clothing and food, how they prepared food, home perms, bedrooms, etc.

I'm thinking if the kids had typical pediatric appointments we would have heard about how she organized them to bring in 5 or so kids at a time or something. Once a kid hits 2 years old its usually a physical visit a year. They always had a kid under 2, so she'd be at the MD 6 times a year minimum, for about 20 years prior to Josie being born.

Like I said, I think Michelle would have made it a point of including the MD visits, because it piled on all the other ways she was still sacrificing her time and energy caring for these kids after she "risked her life" every time she gave birth.

Jessa has never mentioned the kids height or weight or how hard it is to watch your infant be vaccinated, nor has Jill. I don't think they shun medical care, but it doesn't seem they do well baby visits. 

• Love 13
9 hours ago, SMama said:

Maybe I’m way off base here but they don’t give extra.

Not intentionally (as in, they don't prescribe extra), but the pharmacy might have dispensed more than needed because that's what size bottle it comes in.

For example, amoxicillin suspension comes as a powder that we mix with distilled water upon patient pickup. It comes in a 75ml or 100ml bottle. If the doctor writes for a patient to take 12ml bid x10 days (a total volume of 240ml, we'll label three 100ml bottles to say "take 12ml by mouth two times daily for 10 days. discard remainder". The patient only needs 240ml but I have to overdispense because of the way the bottles come.

Theoretically the Duggars could have done some basic math and maybe gotten extra therapy out of the extra but it's still a stupid idea. Just take your kid to the doctor.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, McManda said:

Theoretically the Duggars could have done some basic math and maybe gotten extra therapy out of the extra but it's still a stupid idea. Just take your kid to the doctor.

That's exactly right. If your kid is sick, take your kid to the doctor. If you can't afford to take all your kids to the doctor, DON'T HAVE SO MANY KIDS. It's not cute, to have too many kids to care for and it's not "doing things a little differently," it's irresponsible.

• Love 16
11 hours ago, Zahdii said:

I vaguely remember something about that.  I think that all or a lot of the kids were sick, so they took a few to the doctor.  Then they spread the antibiotics among all the sick kids, since they all had the same illness.  Jana was the one doling out the meds and explaining how they do it because they're Duggars and they always do things differently from the people who don't have Too Many Kids and Counting.  I think that when they remembered to, they lined up the sick kids and Jana went down the line dosing them.  She also used the same measuring spoon for each kid.  I assume JB&M were off working on the next blessing or something.

The only other thing I remember about the episode is Michelle walking around handing out the little red throw up cups.  Gross.

PS.  My mom would have handed me a bucket!

Edited by flyingdi
  • Love 8

If any of those kids went to a doctor, they saw that quack, "Dr" Fedoski...you know, the one who had his license suspended and said that Derick most likely had an allergy that's why he was vomiting. I'd stay far away from that guy, but we know, 'they do things a little differently'.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, floridamom said:

If any of those kids went to a doctor, they saw that quack, "Dr" Fedoski...you know, the one who had his license suspended and said that Derick most likely had an allergy that's why he was vomiting. I'd stay far away from that guy, but we know, 'they do things a little differently'.

He came right to my mind too.

• Love 1
20 hours ago, doodlebug said:

There’s a federal program called Vaccines for Kids that provides all the basic vaccines to providers at virtually no cost for all kids under 18.  Even the HPV vaccine is included.  Many towns give immunizations free to kids using this program.  My sister, a suburban mom with good insurance, was given the local public clinic’s schedule as well as a list of when the various vaccines were due by her private pediatrician. He encouraged her to get her kids vaccinated at the public clinic since his costs for storage and administration in his office were definitely higher. The Duggars have access to cheap/free vaccines for their kids, if they’re not vaccinating, it’s not the cost that’s stopping them.

Just before you posted, I visited the Arkansas Board of Health website and read about the federal program. Arkansas also has a number of state funded programs including well baby visits, breast feeding classes and advice on (ahem) contraception.. If there is a free program available, you'd better believe JB will sign everyone up for it, I don't get the idea that they're antivaxxers, maybe I'm wrong. I would imagine the 19 Duggars were vaccinated. Can you imagine Michelle dealing with several cases of measles or chicken pox at once?

• Love 2
17 minutes ago, Barb23 said:

Sorry about the box. I messed up. 

On the taking one kid to the Dr but getting meds for all, what if one (or more ) of the kids is allergic to the prescribed medication? There were only three of us, but there was no way my brothers and I could have taken the same medication because I was allergic to stuff they weren't.

• Love 3

Someone dealt with a bunch having chicken pox at the same time perhaps it was Jana. They even did a tour while contagious.  I expect they get some vaccinations, but they skipped the chicken pox vaccine for sure.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, bythelake said:

Just before you posted, I visited the Arkansas Board of Health website and read about the federal program. Arkansas also has a number of state funded programs including well baby visits, breast feeding classes and advice on (ahem) contraception.. If there is a free program available, you'd better believe JB will sign everyone up for it, I don't get the idea that they're antivaxxers, maybe I'm wrong. I would imagine the 19 Duggars were vaccinated. Can you imagine Michelle dealing with several cases of measles or chicken pox at once?

And I don't see them participating in any government sponsored programs even if JB did try to become part of it with his doomed senate run. 

• Love 6
42 minutes ago, bythelake said:

I'm sure Ma would leave it all to Jana.  Ma & Boob would be upstairs fornicating.

• Love 6
7 hours ago, bythelake said:

They only started to vacinate chicken pox recently (90s). IIRC the Duggars didn't use that vacine. In the early years or specials, the little kids had chicken pox, and they asked the cameraman or someone in the production team to verify that's normal and he was slightly embarrassed about being asked and muttered "I couldn't say." JB and MIchelle are young enough, they were vaccinated for polio and a few other diseases. I think they may have vaccinated their kids the same way they were  vaccinated hence chicken pox rather than the vaccine. I would think they were warned about vaxxing/nonvaxxing when Josie was born as very young premie. (Children with severe health concerns are often told to be extra-careful to avoid these diseases as it's more likely to turn deadly). 

Edited by Temperance
  • Love 1

I am pretty sure that Jim Bob and Michelle have stated that they do not vaccinate for chicken pox.  That led me to think that they receive other vaccines because they singled out not receiving chicken pox.

However, logic might not work with the Duggars. 

• Love 3

JimChelle are cheap, so if the price was right and it was offered “yeah, why not”. They’re also weirdos who booked Jason a plastic surgeon appointment and then forgot to bring him to the plastic surgeon appointment.

That doesn’t apply to Anna, the full time mother-martyr. 

I was also not aware that sometimes vaccine boosters become necessary even if you have had them all on schedule as a baby/child. My daughter, when she went in for her first prenatal visit, got screened, and was told that she didn't screen as immune to MMR, despite having the  shot record indicating that she'd had all the immunizations. So she will have to get another round after she has the baby and hope that she doesn't run into anyone with any of those diseases in the meantime. Another reason to fear the anti vaxxers.

• Love 10