Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

17 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

lets keep the promos for commercial breaks.

I HATE this.  So many times they have the promo so big, you miss part of what's going on during the show you want to see.  Or if there's any kind of subtitle or chyron on the screen, you miss it.

• Love 14
48 minutes ago, susannah said:

What does anyone think of the ad for car repair with Lisa Loeb singing her old song, and making the guy cry? I think it is irritating.

It's for GEICO car insurance and I think it's funny.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, susannah said:

What does anyone think of the ad for car repair with Lisa Loeb singing her old song, and making the guy cry? I think it is irritating.

Nostalgia.  Like the Billy Blanks one too.

• Love 3
13 hours ago, susannah said:

What does anyone think of the ad for car repair with Lisa Loeb singing her old song, and making the guy cry?

and silly me didn't know that was a "real song" and that she was a "real singer." Of course the 90s are a bit of a black hole for me, with a job and two little babies! And yeah, she DOES look good!

• Love 2
13 hours ago, susannah said:

I was a freshman in hs when that (original version) song was popular, so I find this commercial especially funny, imagining teens singing this version instead. 

• Love 5
13 hours ago, chessiegal said:

It's for GEICO car insurance and I think it's funny.

I was trying to think of why I think it is kind of irritating, and thinking I sound like an old crab! I guess I just think that Lisa's using her song to sell car insurance is kind of pathetic, and it is on frequently.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I think she looks great for fifty something.

I think she looks amazing for fifty something and I want the name of her plastic surgeon. I'm also impressed that she had basically one hit song years and years ago but is still finding ways to make money off of said song. 

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, emma675 said:

I think she looks amazing for fifty something and I want the name of her plastic surgeon. I'm also impressed that she had basically one hit song years and years ago but is still finding ways to make money off of said song. 

Really? I didn't know she only had one hit. I'm not familiar with here ouvre. And that's weird because I was into all the nineties songstresses. Alanis, Sarah, Jewel, Natalie, Shawn Colvin and Cheryl Crow. The whole Lilith Fair thing.

• Love 5
24 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Really? I didn't know she only had one hit. I'm not familiar with here ouvre. And that's weird because I was into all the nineties songstresses. Alanis, Sarah, Jewel, Natalie, Shawn Colvin and Cheryl Crow. The whole Lilith Fair thing.

I think she may have had a few others, but that one is the one she's really known for. She was part of that quirky, cutesy 90s singer thing, so I think she often got overlooked when compared to Jewel and the others. 

• Love 5
On 7/12/2021 at 3:36 PM, iHateAmpersands said:

I'm guessing it's this one?

I'm of 2 minds on this one.  On one hand, I don't really want to hear on my tv about anyone pooping, but on the other, there are bits of it which are sort of amusing.  And yeah, the whole "you know women poop, too" thing is sort of right.  But mostly I don't wanna see anyone on my tv pooping at all.

• LOL 1
  • Love 5
5 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

there are bits of it which are sort of amusing.

There is some great line delivery throughout, and I especially love the actor who asks, "Are you poopsplaining me right now?" and later protests, "I'm not saying pooppowerment."

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I think it is official.  Whomever is coming up with ideas for Liberty Mutual commercials is in a major slump.   IMO, everything from the teddy bear forward has been utter crap.  Not the least bit funny.   The teddy bear was idiotic.  The jump roping kids, horrible.

I agree.  It's a shame because they started out strong.  I love the emu, and the giant key to the city was cute.

• Useful 2
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, AnnA said:

I love the emu, and the giant key to the city was cute.

I hate the emu and especially Doug and the giant key was the one that started me hating Doug. 

But what I came here to post about was an ad I just saw for women's razors. Didn't see enough to see a brand. But the actress that was shaking out her red hair at the end probably was not the same model as the one with the hairy leg they were shaving. I've hardly ever seen that much hair on a woman's leg, let alone a natural redhead. As a rule, most natural blondes and redheads are just not that hairy with such dark hair. I realize there are exceptions, but I don't think that model had naturally red hair. And I'm not sure that leg belonged to a woman. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
14 hours ago, friendperidot said:

But what I came here to post about was an ad I just saw for women's razors. Didn't see enough to see a brand.

If it showed a woman shaving off hair - as razors are designed to do and as they're shown doing in commercials for men's razors - instead of shaving already bare skin (since showing hair would be gross, of course - when it grows out of women's bodies, it becomes offensive 🙄 ), it was probably for Billie razors; they have great commercials.  This isn't one of their best, but maybe it's the one you saw:

Edited by Bastet
10 hours ago, emma675 said:

I loved Lisa's eyeglasses in the commercial, then I googled and found out that she actually has a line of frames with her name on them, and even a website for them.  The only place around me that sells them is Costco and they only had 2 styles and none of them were anything like the ones she wears in the commercial.  Oh well.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, friendperidot said:

I hate the emu and especially Doug and the giant key was the one that started me hating Doug. 

Oh I love the emu and Doug commercials!  I was a teenager in the '70s and he has that shtick DOWN.  He must have studied old Starsky and Hutch and Columbo episodes to get that act right.  And he's good at it, too.  It's hard to believe he probably wasn't even alive in the '70s, LOL.  He reminds me so much of the manager at the Burger King I worked at in 1977 it's scary!

The absurdity and randomness of him with the emu plus his "sidekick" relationship with it is not lost on me either.  I think they're trying too hard to keep churning out new commercials and of course they're not as good as they were in the beginning.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I think it is official.  Whomever is coming up with ideas for Liberty Mutual commercials is in a major slump.   IMO, everything from the teddy bear forward has been utter crap.  Not the least bit funny.   The teddy bear was idiotic.  The jump roping kids, horrible.

Oh I hate those commercials on many levels, not the least of which is that they are not filmed in a real location.  As a New Yorker I know that there is no way you can be on land and be that close to the Statue of Liberty and be oriented toward it from that perspective.  Plus in every commercial the lighting, the sky and everything looks exactly the same.  I then googled it and found that I am far from alone in noticing this. 

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Oh, NOW I hate Doug even more...I really do not like coy people who won't state their age.

An article on him in the Burlington Free Press stated that he was 43 years old last year, which means he's probably 44 now.  So he was alive in the '70s but not by much!

• Love 3
On 7/10/2021 at 7:01 AM, smittykins said:

So far, I’ve only seen it before YouTube videos.

I've only seen the Lume ads on social media. I haven't even seen them watching Frasier on Hallmark.

On 7/13/2021 at 6:19 PM, susannah said:

I'm neutral on that entire series.

17 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I'm of 2 minds on this one.  On one hand, I don't really want to hear on my tv about anyone pooping, but on the other, there are bits of it which are sort of amusing.  And yeah, the whole "you know women poop, too" thing is sort of right.  But mostly I don't wanna see anyone on my tv pooping at all.

I don't want to hear anyone of any gender talking about pooping on TV. But I'm more bothered by people talking about enjoying pooping than I am by people just talking about pooping.

14 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

All of the ones in front of the Statue of Liberty have been duds to me.

9 hours ago, Bastet said:

If it showed a woman shaving off hair - as razors are designed to do and as they're shown doing in commercials for men's razors - instead of shaving already bare skin (since showing hair would be gross, of course - when it grows out of women's bodies, it's automatically gross), it was probably for Billie razors; they have great commercials.  This isn't one of their best, but maybe it's the one you saw:

If this is the commercial the other person was talking about, then I think that definitely could have been the redhead's leg, (although I don't necessary expect closeup people to be the people in the wider shot as a general rule, in any commercial). You can see the redhead's black roots.

(Fun fact I recently learned: The midriff in the American Beauty poster was one person, and the hand holding the rose was another. The hand was Christina Hendricks, but I don't know about the midriff.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

New to posting here, but have read all, or most all, of the posts, and there are a few commercials that no one seems to have mentioned...

The gummy laxative commercial that has the gummy saying something like, "and in the morning IT"S SHOWTIME!"  Makes me stabby.  Showtime?  Really?

The Club Crackers commercial with the talking box and the boring lady who eats the crackers first with queso and then with frosting...  the way the box screeches "I KNOW" really bugs me. 

The commercial for Pediasure with the little brother who wants to grow big like his older brothers.  That kid talks way too fast!  Someone check his thyroid!

It seems I have lost my cherub-like demeanor...

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

All of the ones in front of the Statue of Liberty have been duds to me.

I did like the "Liberty Biberty" ad, but mostly everything else is a total dud.

• Love 11

I love emus and hated the old Liberty Mutual commercial with the idiots complaining that their rates went up when they hit a tree or "tapped" someone else's car. I was happy with the emu commercials for awhile but now I'm tired of them. I think its time to change to someone else.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, Milburn Stone said:

There is no campaign I hate more, in fact very few things in the universe I hate more, than every Liberty Mutual commercial of the last ten years.

The only thing that would make them worse would be if they got Shaq to do the ads.

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
14 hours ago, friendperidot said:

But the actress that was shaking out her red hair at the end probably was not the same model as the one with the hairy leg they were shaving. I've hardly ever seen that much hair on a woman's leg, let alone a natural redhead. As a rule, most natural blondes and redheads are just not that hairy with such dark hair. I realize there are exceptions, but I don't think that model had naturally red hair. And I'm not sure that leg belonged to a woman. 

It's entirely possible that they were two different people, but lots of women dye their hair, so who cares if the actress was a natural redhead or not, and lots of women have very hairy legs.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

I love emus and hated the old Liberty Mutual commercial with the idiots complaining that their rates went up when they hit a tree or "tapped" someone else's car. I was happy with the emu commercials for awhile but now I'm tired of them. I think its time to change to someone else.

I do like the emu on the treadmill though. 😄

• Love 4
(edited)
3 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

I have never listened to any of her songs all the way through to the end.  I have nothing against her, I just usually listen to other types of music.

I had never heard of the Smiths until earlier this year (SiriusXM First Wave).  I listened to a lot of music in the eighties, I don't know how I missed the Smiths.  Granted, most of the music I listened to back then was from the sixties and seventies, with a few bands from the eighties.  That still is pretty much the case.

In the morning, shouldn't it be "go time"?😲

I haven't in my memory listened to any of Lisa Loeb's songs all the way through to the end either.  I generally don't like chick singers or so-called songstresses.  I'm into rock n roll and rock chicks and blues is it for me.

As a result, I don't like Lisa Loeb.   As a result of that, trying to reincarnate her career with an insurance company ad is pathetic and the ad is annoying and irritating to me.  Instamute.

The Smiths were awesome.

Edited by CrystalBlue
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
On 6/17/2021 at 4:08 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

Eddie Jackson won Food Network Star, and is supposed to be a BBQ person.      He's also hosted some of their competition shows on Food Network.    

I guess I just saw the shortened LiMu commercial with the jump rope.    Very odd. 

I'd watch Eddie Jackson boil hotdogs.

• LOL 2
  • Love 2

It's probably been mentioned, but the Pronamel commercial with the female dentist who can't pronounce "enamel." She says "namel" like " camel. Several times.

Raise your hand if you believe she is a real dentist.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3

I hate those Pro-Namel commercials in general because the dentist will say something like, "Once your enamel is gone, it's gone." And in the next sentence they say, "With Pro-Namel, you can restore your tooth's enamel."

• Love 13
10 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

Granted, most of the music I listened to back then was from the sixties and seventies, with a few bands from the eighties.  That still is pretty much the case.

For me too!!!

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
On 6/29/2021 at 8:45 PM, Maverick said:

I also hate the current crop of Subway ads with athletes knocking people's lunch out of their hand because they can "do better".  Effing assholes. 

Dammit, that bitch is back in a new set of Subway commercials! 

• Love 4
7 hours ago, Gharlane said:

Dammit, that bitch is back in a new set of Subway commercials! 

And they've added Tom Brady.  Just when I thought it couldn't get any worse . . .

1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

"Don't eat that burrito! Eat a tuna sandwich that contains no actual tuna!"

I'll confess that is probably why I like Subway's tuna subs.  Not really a fan of tuna.

• Love 5
16 hours ago, Deskisamess said:

It's probably been mentioned, but the Pronamel commercial with the female dentist who can't pronounce "enamel." She says "namel" like " camel. Several times.

Raise your hand if you believe she is a real dentist.

Oh my god, I think I posted about her a while back. I thought she was gone for good until just this week. "The naaahmel." Also, she sounds like she popped a few Valium before the commercial. 

• Love 7
(edited)
18 minutes ago, icemiser69 said:

Doesn't that soccer player realize that in that commercial she comes off as a real jerk?

I really don't think these commercial writers are even considering that she's being a jerk. They just want to hammer in the fact that "Subway is better because we said so!"

And I hope Subway replaces these commercials soon because they have gotten as stale as their bread (when you leave it out for days, of course)

Edited by Kawaiiko
  • LOL 3
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, icemiser69 said:

and

I think this is the commercial you are all talking about.

Do the people who came up with that commercial have any clue how obnoxious it is, and how bad it makes Subway look? 

Doesn't that soccer player realize that in that commercial she comes off as a real jerk?

I guess the answer to both questions is no.

I have eaten at Subway, I wasn't impressed.   I am even less impressed with their commercials.

I wonder if they got the idea from this:

• LOL 4