Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
2 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Wow!  How does that happen?

IDK. It seems so..... IDK what. ....weird. I cant recall the poster. I 'll have to scroll up and try to figure it out.

Just now, ari333 said:

IDK. It seems so..... IDK what. ....weird. I cant recall the poster. I 'll have to scroll up and try to figure it out.

The exact words are "You are not allowed to like content from this user." YIKES> alrighty then

Edited by ari333
  • Love 1
6 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

I did a site-wide search for that phrase, and there are at least 2 other people that have had the same thing.

I wonder if it has to do with ignored users?

Edit: Just checked... and it looks like that's not the case. Couldn't come across a setting that turns likes off either.

I wish I could do that to some commercials! (to bring this back on topic)

• Love 2
7 hours ago, RCharter said:

LOL, I've seen that, I didn't think that yoga was generally an activity that caused people to sweat so much they stank. 

Maybe it's hot yoga?  I don't know, though.  I don't do yoga, but some of it looks pretty hardcore.

• Love 2

The Swiffer commercial where two pre-K kids make a cake from goddamn scratch while flinging artfully open flour sacks and brown liquid everywhere. 

And apparently, it makes Mommy a bitch when she gets stressed by the filthy kitchen. Now, she realizes that not supervising your children as they wreak havoc in your kitchen is totally just a part of growing up!

• Love 6

Seriously, WHAT are they repeating a billion times in the Marshall's commercial? "All in?" "All out?" "I'm in?" Does it still count as an earworm if the words are unintelligible?

• Love 2
(edited)
7 hours ago, ari333 said:

The exact words are "You are not allowed to like content from this user." YIKES> alrighty then

The built in functionality is "reputation", usually associated with help forums, but they replaced it with "like" since that's how it functions here. So I'm guessing either some sort of admin account that is automatically immune to such things, OR it's just a bug as they continue tinkering and it might keep happening sporadically and then will stop as abruptly as it started.

My personal nightmare is artfully flung open flour sacks. It's like there's no such thing as clean anymore. I love me some baking but the stress from the powder somehow managing to get everywhere no matter what you do is just too much... Clearly the kids in the ad are to blame, but...sometimes there's just nothing to be done.

Edited by theatremouse
  • Love 3
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 9:53 AM, Albino said:

I'm just finishing up treatment for advanced ovarian cancer (doing very well!) and what's fascinating about chemo side effects is that you don't just lose the hair on your head.  After 6 chemo rounds, there is no hair on my body at all...arms, legs, underarms, lashes...anywhere.  I look like a seal!  Last week I realized all my nasal hair was gone.    WTF?  But it beats being dead.

According to Abraham on The Walking Dead, you are now "dolphin smooth." 

9 hours ago, ari333 said:

I reported this bug the other day.  Seems to be fixed for me tonight.

Every detergent or softener ad that pushes different scents makes me stabby.  Between my brother, my grand nephews and me, there would be a battle royale for who would get to the ER first.  Stop with the crappy, over-bearing scents.  What's wrong with simply smelling clean?

• Love 10
9 hours ago, ari333 said:

This may be the wrong place to ask, but I just got a popup  note that  "you are not allowed to like anything from this user" WHAT? really?

I got the same thing when I accidentally clicked twice.  I think it means "you already liked this post".

• Love 1
On 4/29/2016 at 0:53 PM, Albino said:

I'm just finishing up treatment for advanced ovarian cancer (doing very well!) and what's fascinating about chemo side effects is that you don't just lose the hair on your head.  After 6 chemo rounds, there is no hair on my body at all...arms, legs, underarms, lashes...anywhere.  I look like a seal!  Last week I realized all my nasal hair was gone.    WTF?  But it beats being dead.

The thing I hated was losing my eyelashes. My eyes watered constantly - people thought I was crying and the skin under my eyes was actually chapped. [TMI - not to mention how startled I was the first time pee went sideways without hair to "direct" the flow. [/TMI]

• Love 6
5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I tried with your post - clicking a second time UNlikes it.

I think its just a random bug.  That happened to me, and when I tried to "like" the post again, everything was fine.

Its like in the old version sometimes I would get a pop up that would say "your reputation score could not be stored" or something like that, but if I just clicked the like button again it was fine.

• Love 1
On ‎04‎/‎29‎/‎2016 at 6:24 PM, janie jones said:

While I admit I don't 100% know how chemotherapy works or what life after chemo is like, I feel like since this drug apparently works well enough for people to know they get permanent hair loss, it's more like alive with permanent hair loss versus alive without permanent hair loss.

Different types of chemo work differently depending on what kind of cancer, and even with the same cancer, it varies from person to person.  So a cancer patient may not get much choice in the type of chemo.  My point was, were I ever to be in that position, I'd much rather the chemo worked and kept me alive, and I wouldn't care if that meant I'd be bald forever.  It's entirely possible that for individuals who've needed the type of chemo drug referenced in the lawsuit, there might not have been another kind which kept them alive.

Personally, I hate those commercials for various drug lawsuits due to their deceptive practices.

• Love 1
34 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Personally, I hate those commercials for various drug lawsuits due to their deceptive practices.

I know - they're as bad as the "ask your doctor about..." drug company ads.

• Love 2
On 5/2/2016 at 1:30 PM, AntiBeeSpray said:

I wonder if it has to do with ignored users?

Edit: Just checked... and it looks like that's not the case. Couldn't come across a setting that turns likes off either.

I wish I could do that to some commercials! (to bring this back on topic)

It happened to me too. WTF?

They used to run this local ad, and it's annoying af just as it is, but they used to run the ad twice during every commercial break.  Why is running an ad twice in a single sitting a good idea?

Now they run another one that's equally annoying, where women are sitting around at a book club and a woman puts on her glasses with pink frames, and all of a sudden, this guy in a pink leotard and pink tutu jumps in and says that nobody pays attention to anything she says because "They're only watching me!"  And they run that twice at each break.  Ugh.  I can't find that ad online.

• Love 2

Do you ever find that a commercial would be totally fine if not for one teeny weeny little thing? I have no beef with Modelo Especial except that one of those commercials is listing things you're supposed to do if you want another thing and one of the things they say is "if you want a girl to marry you, you ask her father." Uh WHAT? No. If you want me to marry you, come talk to me about it. That's my decision. My father doesn't control my life and hasn't for over a decade now. And I know that getting into gender politics in a beer commercial is a deep dive of gender issues, but why did they have to put that line in there? The commercial would have worked just as well without it.

• Love 15
4 hours ago, BabyVegas said:

Do you ever find that a commercial would be totally fine if not for one teeny weeny little thing? I have no beef with Modelo Especial except that one of those commercials is listing things you're supposed to do if you want another thing and one of the things they say is "if you want a girl to marry you, you ask her father." Uh WHAT? No. If you want me to marry you, come talk to me about it. That's my decision. My father doesn't control my life and hasn't for over a decade now. And I know that getting into gender politics in a beer commercial is a deep dive of gender issues, but why did they have to put that line in there? The commercial would have worked just as well without it.

I saw that commercial recently and may have said out loud to the television, "Fuck you." 

• Love 8

This is my first rant in this forum, but I need to get this off my chest. I work from home and keep the TV on in the background for company, so I actually have LOT of commercials to rant about. But the current Time Warner commercial with the neighbors crashing a couple's open house is going to give me an aneurysm.

First, selling a home is stressful enough, and having an open house means cleaning and evacuating the home for a whole afternoon in hopes of attracting a buyer. These asshole neighbors completely ruined it for the couple, because who is going to want to buy a home in a neighborhood filled with these people? Second, no one else has Time Warner already? What kind of special snowflake neighborhood is this? Also, like most people, my wifi is secured with a password I can barely remember. How did they all hack into the couple's wifi? And if it wasn't secured, wouldn't these freeloaders already know about the free wifi in this house?

Ugh, I thought the Moore family was bad.

• Love 7
15 hours ago, ABitOFluff said:

And if it wasn't secured, wouldn't these freeloaders already know about the free wifi in this house?

Not if the equipment sucked and the signal didn't reach very far. One version of the ad has someone saying that he could connect from upstairs as though he didn't expect to be able to.

• Love 1
6 hours ago, arejay said:

Damn you, GE.  Now I have an unshakeable urge to "hi-er Stacey Drew"!

I'm in the Sanjay Patel camp myself. Because a wise elf from a far-off shire told me so.

• Love 7
(edited)
On 5/5/2016 at 6:01 PM, ABitOFluff said:

This is my first rant in this forum, but I need to get this off my chest. I work from home and keep the TV on in the background for company, so I actually have LOT of commercials to rant about. But the current Time Warner commercial with the neighbors crashing a couple's open house is going to give me an aneurysm.

First, selling a home is stressful enough, and having an open house means cleaning and evacuating the home for a whole afternoon in hopes of attracting a buyer. These asshole neighbors completely ruined it for the couple, because who is going to want to buy a home in a neighborhood filled with these people? Second, no one else has Time Warner already? What kind of special snowflake neighborhood is this? Also, like most people, my wifi is secured with a password I can barely remember. How did they all hack into the couple's wifi? And if it wasn't secured, wouldn't these freeloaders already know about the free wifi in this house?

Ugh, I thought the Moore family was bad.

I agree.....I don't understand who found that commercial amusing or funny.  When did assholery become so en vogue?  It used to get you gut punched, or kicked in the nuts.   And it features one of the worst things a commercial can have -- an annoying "precocious" child -- the one who has the damn nerve to go upstairs and into their private areas to see if she can still get wifi.  I'm guessing the couple with the house is desperately trying to escape these assholes....

My mother is a real estate broker, and I know she would have had those people the hell out of there.  You don't want to get in the way of my mothers money.

Edited by RCharter
Because shen is not a word!
  • Love 9
(edited)

I can't really be mad at that family for treating Paul Giamatti like that, because he could just leave if he doesn't want to hear it anymore.  At this point, he's asking for it.

Unless we are to understand they're holding him prisoner.

Edited by janie jones

Though I find the commercial annoying, what I really want to know is if that brilliant Brit comes with the Bausch and Lomb ultra contacts.

1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

*small voice* I don't even know who that is.

If you'd just give in and watch 30Rock I could direct you to his episode!

But he has been in quite a few movies...generally cast as the "everyday man."  He was in that movie about wine that everyone loved, but I couldn't watch after 10 minutes.  He was also in that very popular John Adams miniseries that was on HBO.

• Love 3

Not a fan of the new Crocs commercials. The song is annoying. I hate the old cliche of the mom pretending to be sick so that the dad will take the kids so she can have a fun day with her girlfriends. They're taking selfies; do you think the husband isn't going to know when he sees his wife's tagged photos on social media? As for the amusement park commercial, I don't know of any theme parks that allow riders to wear capes on their bigger rides. 

• Love 5

Holy crap, I just can't anymore with this one---the chick singing some godawful twee hipster version of "If I Only Had a Brain" on those new University of Phoenix ads...sweet Jesus, the stupid music coupled with her stupid voice just makes my toes curl...I literally want to find that woman and throat punch her every time I'm forced to hear that lousy commercial. Her baby-talking silly schoolgirlish chatter mixed with her hyper-affected lilting voice, ugh, who thought that was remotely charming??!!

Quoted post was in earworms, but since I had additional anger, annoyance, irritation and hate for other commercials. I decided to respond here.

I hate her shilling for her corporate overloads when she sings about having 2 jobs, going to a school where she'll be in debt the rest of her life to pay it off, will still have to work 2 jobs to take care of her 2 kids and mortgage because she won't make enough money to work one job to support her family and then if she is able to retire, will have to have a reverse mortgage in order to stay in that house and at the end of her life will have nothing left for her kids and grandkids, so some banking corporation will own her house, and if she didn't take out a $20/month life insurance policy, her kids will have to sell her piano in order to pay her credit card bills and bury her. I did put credit card bills ahead of burial because the commercials. I'm a little bitter and angry about the whole mess. 

• Love 7

I hate the Airbnb commercial with the snotty voiceover tells us to not GO these places, but LIVE there. Then she tells us we can cook and "do things you normally do." Umm... That doesn't sound like a vacation to me. 

• Love 21
18 hours ago, elle said:

Though I find the commercial annoying, what I really want to know is if that brilliant Brit comes with the Bausch and Lomb ultra contacts.

I feel the exact same way.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Katydid said:

I hate the Airbnb commercial with the snotty voiceover tells us to not GO these places, but LIVE there. Then she tells us we can cook and "do things you normally do." Umm... That doesn't sound like a vacation to me. 

Ugh...I change the channel the minute that thing comes on.  All the super-cool 30-somethings reveling in their own hipness. This commercial just rubs me the wrong way.  Note: I have nothing against 30 year olds.  Or even 30 year old hipsters.  It's the smug, self-satisfied, "we're so different!" affect all the actors have.

• Love 6

When I first heard of Airbnb, I read a lot about it.  Those commercials remind me of all the litigation against the company and the "Airbnb horror stories" websites.

Do Uber or Lyft have commercials?

Airbnb (unregulated motels) and Uber (unregulated taxis) make me ponder the future of the sharing economy.  Are we gonna see similar programs for lawyers, doctors, and assassins?

• Love 9
15 hours ago, Stacey1014 said:

As for the amusement park commercial, I don't know of any theme parks that allow riders to wear capes on their bigger rides. 

Yep, that's certainly setting yourself up for an Edna Mode moment.

• Love 2

There's an ad for some outfit called jet.com that's ticking me off lately. A bunch of people standing around in a showroom full of stuff, with an automated laser thingy that shrinks price tags (prices). They apparently decided to use every single frickin' overused stock sound effect for machinery that's ever been recorded. Every. Single. One. These are all sounds that I've been subjected to for decades in movies, TV, video games, radio, and everything else, and I'm sick of hearing them! Grrrrr.

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Man, I am so embarrassed for Jon right now.

I didn't even know that was him. Sheeeit, the "Slippery When Wet" days are looong gone!

• Love 3

Funny you should ask that, Erik. I just saw a Lyft commercial for the first time a couple days ago. It featured both a female driver and passenger, but I don't remember much else. Have yet to see an Uber commercial.

I would definitely not be thinking about cooking in a foreign country--I would want to try the local cuisine prepared by locals, and I would have zero idea of available ingredients or what kind of utensils or appliances I could expect an AirBnB home to have. 

• Love 6

I forget what pharmaceutical it is, and I may have mentioned it before, but in the commercial's side-effects/warning part, the voiceover says something like, "Don't give to anyone under 6 years old," followed immediately by, "Don't give to anyone between 6 and 17 years old." What is the point of having two sentences when one would have sufficed? 

Also, I heard one last night that used "has" when it should have been "have." Something like "Never has Item 1 and Item 2 been so..." (and it was not, say "peanut butter and jelly," which is fine to treat as a single thing by using "has").

• Love 5