Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

16 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I saw Marie Osmond live on a talk show recently. She looked the same as she does in the commercial.

Spanx, wig and botoxed! Lol. But yeah, she looks good for 60+. 

Edited by chenoa333
  • Love 5
On 9/5/2018 at 2:03 PM, Bastet said:

"middle of the night" is said by the Liberty Mutual woman whose son had roadside assistance

Well, yeah, but Liberty Mutual people also think the damage they caused to your car was "just a scratch".

• Love 7

I finally saw the Peter Popoff miracle water commercial that has been written about here.  Holy moley (no pun intended), how can he get away with this without the FCC and FTC yanking his ass off the air?  There aren't even any small print disclaimers.  (The good news is that I think I found a good Halloween costume for my husband this year.)

• Love 17

There's a commercial for Reese's Big Cup that always makes me think there's something wrong with my TV. They show the Reese's logo at the lower left of the screen, only it's cut off along the bottom and at the left, like the whole frame was improperly cropped. It always makes me think my TV has accidentally gone into "zoom" mode by itself. Why do they cut off their own logo like that? 

(Also . . . while I love both Reese's peanut butter cups AND Reese's Pieces, putting the latter into the former is overkill.)

• Love 10
19 hours ago, iMonrey said:

There's a commercial for Reese's Big Cup that always makes me think there's something wrong with my TV. They show the Reese's logo at the lower left of the screen, only it's cut off along the bottom and at the left, like the whole frame was improperly cropped. It always makes me think my TV has accidentally gone into "zoom" mode by itself. Why do they cut off their own logo like that? 

(Also . . . while I love both Reese's peanut butter cups AND Reese's Pieces, putting the latter into the former is overkill.)

But they are so good.......so very good.  Same with the Reese's that have the crumbled up chocolate cookie inside.

• Love 4

I hate every Safe Auto commercial that ever was, is, or will be. The horrible quotes are the worst, but the Fahrnuhn or whatever spoof of a bad Alexa they're doing are not far behind. And the worst part is they are just on relentlessly and ceaselessly on the channels that I watch, so that doesn't help. 

I also loathe Wal-Mart's exceedingly literal use of very popular songs to promote their online service. "Let's Get It Started" for going back to school, "Cars" for grocery pickup - groundbreaking!!! and "Ring My Bell" oh wow, so clever Wal-Mart. Also, that song does not mean what you think it means. 

Liberty Liberty Liberty...Liberty! Shoot me now.

• Love 14

I keep waiting for Jennifer Garner to be replaced for the Capital One ads.  She just bugs me for no real reason, I just have never liked her face or her voice or her acting.  The lastest one with her stage whispering in a library is the absolute worst!    It’s the equivalent to a million cats in a room scratching a million chalkboards.  I have to leave the room if I can’t change the channel or mute fast enough.

• Love 11
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

I don't mind Jennifer Garner, but the only thing I've seen her on are the Capital One commercial. What else has she done?

She was the star of Alias, which I didn't watch, but it was on for about five years so I read about it/saw promos; being the star, that's what I associate her with even though I didn't watch it.  I think the only thing I've ever seen her in (other than the commercials) is Juno - oh, and Draft Day, but that was a shitty role so I forgot it initially, but here's her list of credits (via IMDb).

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, Kelloggirl said:

I also loathe Wal-Mart's exceedingly literal use of very popular songs to promote their online service. "Let's Get It Started" for going back to school

The only song I want to hear in a back-to-school ad is this one:

(That ad's from 2006? That kid is out of school by now! I feel so old...)

• Love 13
5 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I don't mind Jennifer Garner, but the only thing I've seen her on are the Capital One commercial. What else has she done?

I just saw her new movie, Peppermint, where she plays a soccer mom who gets revenge on a drug cartel after they gun down her husband and daughter.

• Love 2
On 8/24/2018 at 5:58 PM, ScoundrelJosie said:

Seems Liberty's new jingle is "Liberty, Liberty, Liiiiiiiiberty.." Someone may have made a million off of that idea.

You left off the fourth "Liberty".  They snuck that one in when we weren't looking.  As if it wasn't annoying enough already!

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Kelloggirl said:

I also loathe Wal-Mart's exceedingly literal use of very popular songs to promote their online service. "Let's Get It Started" for going back to school, "Cars" for grocery pickup - groundbreaking!!! and "Ring My Bell" oh wow, so clever Wal-Mart. Also, that song does not mean what you think it means. 

The one that amuses me more than annoys is the grocery store? delivery service? (I don't even remember, so fail) that uses Cake by the Ocean.  Um, ok.  

• Love 4
20 hours ago, Kelloggirl said:

I hate every Safe Auto commercial that ever was, is, or will be. The horrible quotes are the worst, but the Fahrnuhn or whatever spoof of a bad Alexa they're doing are not far behind. And the worst part is they are just on relentlessly and ceaselessly on the channels that I watch, so that doesn't help. 

I hate that commercial !!!!!!   That obnoxious woman with exaggerated German accent bites on my last nerve. Then at the end of the spot she goes "And you can go straight to Hellllllllll-th".  In addition, the white haired guy who tell us to buy Safe Auto looks like a corpse with his pasty face makeup. 

• Love 1
On 8/24/2018 at 12:50 PM, hoopznyo said:

Dear Lumify,

Why do only women need/want whiter eyes?

Looking stoned is generally frowned upon.

On 8/24/2018 at 6:34 PM, peacheslatour said:

Ugh, the Bounty commercial where the kid is playing pirate and jams a plastic sword into her dad's ass. I'm sorry but that kid would become initimately acquainted with the back of my hand.

I hate how the mother is all like "Noooooo!" in super slow motion but doing nothing to move her laptop (which appears to be in no danger of gettting soaked).

On 8/28/2018 at 11:29 AM, peacheslatour said:

I got some because my rosacia affects my eyes. It makes the whites of your eyes almost blue. I don't use it very often because it gives me a headache.

Does the roscia or the medicine make them blue?

On 9/2/2018 at 2:13 PM, stewedsquash said:

Dabble or something, I hear it on the radio all the time now and I hate the woman who says Now I'm speaking spanish! woohoo!! I just came across the tv version and they don't show her. It isn't just the woman who irritates me, the whole sound of the commercial is annoying. 

I hear that ad all the time on the radio and assumed they don't play the TV version where I lived, but it bugs me that she says "woohoo!" After announcing she learned to speak Spanish instead of "Ole!" or something Spanish.

Does the roscia or the medicine make them blue?

The rosacia makes the whites red, the Lumify makes the whites almost blue.

hate how the mother is all like "Noooooo!" in super slow motion but doing nothing to move her laptop (which appears to be in no danger of gettting soaked).

I think that's a teenaged daughter. I'm always yelling "Pick IT UP, pick the fucking thing up!!"

• Love 5

This commercial bugs the hell out of me.   

It's funny for older women to be admiring a young man's physical assets.   

What if the genders were reversed?  a bunch of old guys give a young women a tight sweater, then drool over her doing yard work? 

• Love 11
1 hour ago, backformore said:

This commercial bugs the hell out of me.   

What if the genders were reversed?  a bunch of old guys give a young women a tight sweater, then drool over her doing yard work? 

When men do it it's sexiest and those men are huge pigs who demeaning that young woman but we do it we are be empowered and turning the tables so it okay when we do it,There needs be sarcasm text so it easier for other people to tell when your using sarcasm.

• Love 6
15 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Only when men have been subjected to thousands of years of being treated like property and objects at the hands of women will it be an issue how women look at men.

That time will never come, by the way.

But to me, the women in this ad are being portrayed negatively anyway. As horny old bats admiring a young guys muscles. 

Its creepy.

• Love 11
On ‎9‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 2:51 PM, BusyOctober said:

I keep waiting for Jennifer Garner to be replaced for the Capital One ads.  She just bugs me for no real reason, I just have never liked her face or her voice or her acting.  The lastest one with her stage whispering in a library is the absolute worst!    It’s the equivalent to a million cats in a room scratching a million chalkboards.  I have to leave the room if I can’t change the channel or mute fast enough.

She bugs me too, and I'm not sure why either.  I do recall a commercial some time ago where they kept talking about how beautiful she was, but all I see is big ears, odd smile (almost like bucked teeth), and an odd voice.  I don't think she's ugly - just average, and that's why I never understood why the fawning over her.

• Love 7
19 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I have instituted a new No Tolerance policy.

Pharmaceutical commercial: That's a muting.

Ambulance chasing law firm: That's a muting.

Chevy commercial: That's a muting.

Liberty Mutual: That's a .... well, you get the idea.

ALL of these.  My personal un-favorites are Pharmaceutical Ads.  They are SO obnoxious, especially if you are anal-retentive like me.  These form the majority of ads on the channels we watch.  One caught my eye last night; a new (horrendously pricey) drug to treat the manic side of bi-polar.  When it used to be called manic-depressive, I guess they thought that term was insulting.  Anyway, doctors used to prescribe lithium for it, seemed to treat both M/D, was generic and cheap.  So now you have to take this new drug AND the new drug for depression, right?

• Love 11

The overly-muscled guy with the feathered blonde hair and sleeveless kitty shirt probably isn't into girls of any generation if you get my drift. I doubt very much if he cares if a couple of grannies ogle him. I'm assuming he's not wearing that shirt by accident.

• Love 3
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I have instituted a new No Tolerance policy.

Pharmaceutical commercial: That's a muting.

Ambulance chasing law firm: That's a muting.

Chevy commercial: That's a muting.

Liberty Mutual: That's a .... well, you get the idea.

Safe Auto: That's a muting.

Political Ads: That's a muting.

Wal-Mart "I Like Bread and Butter": Oh you better believe that's a muting!

And for the record, the McDonald's Grandmas giving the young man the sweater give me a giggle.  And 100% what Bigilistic said. In fact, it's still on commercials all the time! Case in point: Doritos commercial. Man ogles half-naked model on cover of magazine. "Dog, fetch me a barenaked..." So if the dog actually fetched her, naked, presumably for what? Now that's creepy. Not some cute grandmas looking at a cute guy gardening. Older women have sexual urges. What a concept!

Edited by Kelloggirl
  • Love 9
27 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Blanche Devereaux would agree!

My new least favorite -- the mother who spreads Nutella on toast for her family and expects her family to be more appreciative. She opened a jar, took a knife, put hazelnut goop on toasted bread and thinks she deserves a ticker tape parade. Maybe someone should introduce her to psoriatic arthritis mom who can make sandwiches with processed cheesed and white bread. Then she'll know what real martyrdom is all about.

I hate this ad too, but for another reason.  Nutella (to me) is a vile substance.  Hazelnut creamer is another horrible thing.  Sorry, I have strange tastes (honey is anathema to me as well).

• Love 5
9 hours ago, mmecorday said:

the mother who spreads Nutella on toast for her family and expects her family to be more appreciative.

Wow, a mother who expects appreciation from her family?  What a strange idea!  (Just messing with ya, Mme.  :)  )

• Love 5
On 9/10/2018 at 12:35 PM, funky-rat said:

She bugs me too, and I'm not sure why either.  I do recall a commercial some time ago where they kept talking about how beautiful she was, but all I see is big ears, odd smile (almost like bucked teeth), and an odd voice.  I don't think she's ugly - just average, and that's why I never understood why the fawning over her.

I feel that way about Julia Roberts.

• Love 11
3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

"Give up showing these guys how it's done? Pleeze." Have you guys ever heard the word backpfeifengesicht? It means punchable face in German. And boy, does she have it.

Thank you thank you thank you.

She is in the same category as the pedicure lady with the Ring security thingy who taunts the would-be thieves with the buh-bye ! That piece of work is looking to get stalked at some future date and taught some hard lessons by the thieves.

• Love 5

Brattinella, I was just coming to say something about the horrible music on the Freeze Dried Trainer. That grunting or what ever that is annoys me so much. I'm not sure we're talking about exactly the same one, but I hate most commercial music. And, I know, it's Free Stride Trainer. I just hear it as Freeze Dried Trainer, so that's what I call it. 

• Love 2
3 hours ago, SoSueMe said:

On 9/10/2018 at 12:35 PM, funky-rat said:

Thank you!  She does those perfume ads that seem to air only around the holidays and I have no idea why she was chosen. She walks like a linebacker and I don’t even think she has unconventional beauty. Wasn’t she chosen by People magazine as a most beautiful three different times?  

She dumped Benjamin Bratt?  (Sigh.). That’s something I would have never done. Girl is stupid, too. 

• Love 6
17 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

"Give up showing these guys how it's done? Pleeze." Have you guys ever heard the word backpfeifengesicht? It means punchable face in German. And boy, does she have it.

13 hours ago, SoSueMe said:

Thank you thank you thank you.

She is in the same category as the pedicure lady with the Ring security thingy who taunts the would-be thieves with the buh-bye ! That piece of work is looking to get stalked at some future date and taught some hard lessons by the thieves.

I mentioned Joanie a few weeks ago, and how she annoyed me.  She reminds me of some people I knew when I was younger that also had the "harsh" eyebrows.  I would say, when I was little, that they had "mean eyes".

14 hours ago, SoSueMe said:

Never thought she was particularly pretty either.  She has an odd mouth.

• Love 2
30 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

I mentioned Joanie a few weeks ago, and how she annoyed me.  She reminds me of some people I knew when I was younger that also had the "harsh" eyebrows.  I would say, when I was little, that they had "mean eyes".

Never thought she was particularly pretty either.  She has an odd mouth.

She has a horse face. 

• Love 6

If we're gonna veer off into horsiness, look no further than Sarah Jessica Parker. I never understood what was supposed to be so special about her. Julia Roberts, I kind of understand - I think her personality fills in the beauty gaps - but I don't believe SJP has any redeeming qualities.

Back in the 60s, I read a review of the Andy Williams show and it mentioned his horsy face. I'd never thought about it til then, but thereafter, my best friend, my mom and I all referred to him as 'The Equine."

• Love 10