Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
11 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

I hope Jeremy introduces Jinger to some classics. I don't want her entire reading experience to be religious analysis, which is what Jeremy seems to enjoy, based on his IG post with the stack of books. A different slant on what she's learned would be great, but IMO, it can't be everything. Someone send her a bodice ripper to the chruch's address. :D

She can even read a biography about someone she really admires, maybe a composer or something, just to mix it up some, and I don't think Jeremy would mind, and he shouldn't criticize at this stage. I don't think she's ready for the depth of reading that Jeremy is used to after four years of college and a year of grad school, then what seems to me, serious self-taught pastoral study. Frankly, that also scares me, since he could be interpreting texts incorrectly. 

But I agree that the EXAMPLE of reading seems to be a benefit to Jinger the Follower. 

I hope Jinger also gets to watch at least one movie that won an academy award during the past ten years.  I'm sure that all the congregants of Jeremy's church have done that and it might help her relate to them better, plus help her learn more about the world outside of her bubble.

Edited by Mollie
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Mollie said:

I hope Jinger also gets to watch at least one movie that won an academy award during the past ten years.

I'd settle for Gone With the Wind. I'd KILL for her to see To Kill a Mockingbird. It's set in Alabama, so maybe there's a chance...

• Love 5
6 hours ago, BitterApple said:

If Jinger does get pregnant I hope they move back East, closer to the Vuolos. Chuck and Di would make much better grandparents than Boob and Michelle, and Jinger would be relatively close to Philly and NYC. They'd also be near Jeremy's friends and Grandma, who are loads more fun than those boring ass Duggars. 

Despite some weird sermons, I agree about Jeremy. Jinger seems truly happy and you can't fake that.

She would be near me! 

I would not try to bump into her or anything...really! 

• Love 1

She was approaching the classic Syllogism:  "All men are mortal. Socrates is a man. Therefore Socrates is mortal."  "I love Jeremy. Jeremy loves books. Now I love books." To truly work her major premise (the first statement) should be: I love Jeremy and what he loves." 

7 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I think Jeremy is gorgeous in photos.  But in action, walking and talking ....... not so much.  I don't care for the metrosexual super grooming, and the overly fussy skinny jeans and label conscious dress shirts buttoned up to his Adam's apple.  It makes him a little effeminate to me, and kills the sex appeal.  In other words, I think Jinger probably has to wait for HIM to get ready, has 10% of the closet and dresser space, uses 1/10th of the personal hygiene products, and has to fight for a chance to get a place at the vanity.  He's the beauty in the family, and I get the impression he spends a lot of time gazing at his own reflection.  Which makes me suspect she married her BFF Jessa.  

I will be impressed with Jinger's newfound love of reading when I see her reading a book that isn't about religion, or a book that wasn't obviously recommended by her headship.   I don't see Jeremy indulging Jinger to be her own person.  I see her being indulged to mirror him and his interests.  

I don't really agree most of this, but it's an interesting theory that Jeremy is a lot like Jessa. It makes sense seeing how much Jessa meant to her. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Jeremy is really pushing his image of being an intellectual, isn't he?  Now he is just hanging out in bookstores, getting his picture taken, ever so casually.  I'm surprised he isn't wearing glasses to add to his aura of intellectualism. 

Happens all the time to me.  I'm reading a book and someone snaps my picture and next thing you know, I'm on Instagram, looking all bad ass smart and shit. 

Jeremy probably set up the picture and told her what to write. I can see those two going through pictures on her phone, giggling and Jeremy saying "hey, let's write this!" and Jinger does it because she is a "follower" and "meek". 

He is crafting a public image. He was a "soccer star" and now he wants to be a "Jesus star". 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 15
(edited)
28 minutes ago, Jellybeans said:

I don't know... sayin Jeremy set everything up means Jinger can't get credit for doing something we consider normal.  We do this kind of stuff every day.

Jinger can post nice pictures and she is a good photographer.  To me, this one picture was staged by Jeremy with a deliberate message. Jeremy has posted his books before...he just recently did a stack of books on Philippians and grace. Now another picture of Jeremy with books IN a bookstore and Jinger admitting that she didn't like books before Jeremy.  This is Jeremy pimping his image of being an intellectual minister.   Plus feeding his superman fantasy of "rescuing Jinger" like she is a lost kitten.   

The Duggar kidults post books...they must be aware that we think they don't read/are uneducated. The Duggs always post things with some sort of bizarre message that they want to get across. 

Just a few I can remember:

Jill posted her devotional book with a pair of glasses on it. (glasses make you smarter)

Jill writing a term paper (?)      (Remember that puzzler???)

Jinger just posted coffee and a Bible (ESV edition, not KJV)

Ben posts his books frequently. 

Jessa posted Ben studying a big book in a coffee shop with a book bag next to him (he has more than one book, y'all!)

Ben regularly posts quotes from famous Christians...again, giving the image that he is well read. 

And, of course, the Seewalds are VERY intellectual and named their sons after (religious) historical figures. 

Edited by Marigold
  • Love 3

It can go either way for me...the picture was entirely staged by Jeremy, or Jinger took the picture more-or-less spontaneously, thinking, "Wow, my babe is sooooo smart looking at books and stuff. Let me take a picture!" Jinger's dim and enamored enough to think the book shopping is something remarkable to the rest of the world. 

• Love 3
(edited)

Well it looks like this picture is also a throwback from November. Jeremy is wearing the same shirt and holding the same coffee in what looks like the same library.

20170531_084026-864x853.png

Edited by Lunera
Added stuff
  • Love 2
(edited)

Heh, as I have noted before, they are fucking with their fanbase. They have tons of pictures to post from those elusive first six months.

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 5
25 minutes ago, Sew Sumi said:

Heh, as I have noted before, they are fucking with their fanbase. They have tons of pictures to post from those elusive first six months.

The Duggars are so damn slippery. 

I post pictures that happen within 24 hours. Not from 6 months ago so my friends say "oh, your daughter was in a Christmas play last night?"

It's so obnoxious.  Is it deliberate like "ha ha! this will totally mix them up!" or is it just idiotic like "hey this is a cool picture of the film crew from 13 months ago, let's post that!" 

It really bugs me. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, Mollie said:

That is in Fayetteville.  Laredo, TX, doesn't have a single bookstore!

Perhaps why they visited the store while they were in Arkansas or maybe it's a good excuse to escape the chaos. 

17 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

I'd settle for Gone With the Wind. I'd KILL for her to see To Kill a Mockingbird. It's set in Alabama, so maybe there's a chance...

GWTW!!!  Oh my, you talk so scandalous!  Seriously, I think her head would explode at Scarlett's brazen flirting and manipulation!  

• Love 5
On 5/30/2017 at 8:24 AM, McManda said:

I know people hate on Jeremy, but I think so far Jinger win the husband game.

Personally I think Jeremy would be way to conservative for me, but compared to Derek, Ben, and JB he's downright progressive.  He's done things that I think are good for helping Jinger get away from being completely indoctrinated into Duggville - the six month ban on visitors, introducing her to new things and experiences, allowing her to be her own person and not one of the nineteen, not knocking her up the second night of their honeymoon - that I can't shit on him too hard. 

Plus, they're the only Dugger couple that I see any heat from. Jill/Derek and Ben/Jessa had something before they got married, but as soon as that sexual tension went away it fizzled. I don't think that's hastened with Jinger and Jeremy so far.

He's also - subjectively - the most attractive of the three four, so he's got that going for him, too. (Disclaimer, tall , dark, and bearded tends to be my thing, though.)

Agreed. He may not be for me (although I agree that he's hot -- I also love the tall, dark, and bearded) but I can recognize that at least he has some kind of personality and seems to respect his wife. I think in their family, they couldn't ask for much better and still have their dad approve (and you know if he didn't, they'd be shunned Amish style).

On 5/30/2017 at 8:19 AM, Clemgo3165 said:

There are lots of people who make it through school without falling in love with books. Many are thrilled to be out of school so they never have to read another one. How nice that Jeremy is sharing his love of books with her, he seems to be expanding her horizons a bit.

I doubt the Duggars are allowed to have an original thought, pretty sure those are knocked out of them during their early years and if that doesn't take then they're sent away to "camp" to learn to think like everyone else. 

Especially in the Duggar family. I highly doubt they were allowed to read very much outside the Bible and related books. Hopefully she gets to experience a variety and maybe comes across some books that challenge her world view, even if accidentally and if it doesn't change her mind, just in that it shows her there's other truths out there.

• Love 2
On 5/30/2017 at 8:57 AM, Lunera said:

What a shame that Jinger couldn't enjoy books as a child. I was actually at a book store yesterday and saw a young girl get exited when her parents agreed to buy her a poetry book she had fallen in love with.

The first books I fell in love with as a kid were Harry Potter and I got exited whenever a new one was released. Even to this day I reread them and they make me remember my childhood and how happy those books made me. 

It makes me sad how pathetic their childhoods and education must have been.

Not every child will be a crazy avid reader, but there is such a wide variety of books that every child can find something to enjoy. We already know that the Duggar education is a poor one, and since they are almost guaranteed to limit what their children read, it further limits how proficient they can become in reading and writing. Also, books are absolutely wonderful for the imagination because they open up new worlds and possibilities. Oh right, the Duggar children are not allowed to have an imagination. 

I was a kid who lived and breathed books. I became lost in books all the time. I would read everything in sight and then start rereading books if I couldn't find something new. Reading was what kept me sane during elementary school because it prevented me from becoming completely bored out of my mind. It is harder for me to find time for pleasure reading nowadays, but I truly enjoy it and find reading to be a fantastic way to learn new things.

On another note, Potterheads unite! I confess that I started reading Harry Potter due to the urging of my friend, but I was hooked in no time. Reading the series for the first time was utterly enthralling and captivating, and that is still a defining point in my childhood. 

• Love 8
On 5/30/2017 at 5:49 PM, lascuba said:

DING DING DING!

I've been hoping it's not a Woody Allen-movie type situation. Older man molding younger woman. That always grossed me out. 

• Love 1
53 minutes ago, MischaMouse said:

I've been hoping it's not a Woody Allen-movie type situation. Older man molding younger woman. That always grossed me out. 

I wouldn't put it in Woody Allen territory, but I know exactly what you mean.  A man with experience who marries a younger, super sheltered girl? It's a bit creepy, if not outright predatory. 

• Love 2

I think it's great that Jeremy has gotten Jinger interested in books. One of the biggest mistakes my controlling fundamentalist parents did was let me learn to read. I loved biographies and stories about large families (I wanted 13 when I was young, after adopting 5, I was done). Christian schools, church libraries, and Christian bookstores were all open to me and very few of the families I read about believed in the physical and mental abuse my parents said came from God's word. I survived my childhood b/c I realized my parents sucked and I wasn't the horrible person they said I was. I'd love for Jinger to figure this out, also.

• Love 24
1 hour ago, Nysha said:

I think it's great that Jeremy has gotten Jinger interested in books. One of the biggest mistakes my controlling fundamentalist parents did was let me learn to read. I loved biographies and stories about large families (I wanted 13 when I was young, after adopting 5, I was done). Christian schools, church libraries, and Christian bookstores were all open to me and very few of the families I read about believed in the physical and mental abuse my parents said came from God's word. I survived my childhood b/c I realized my parents sucked and I wasn't the horrible person they said I was. I'd love for Jinger to figure this out, also.

I am glad you had books that gave you hope.while my mother  was never physically abusive she  was emotionally distant and books an some t.v. shows let me know that yes people  did tell their children  they loved them.

• Love 14
18 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I am glad you had books that gave you hope.while my mother  was never physically abusive she  was emotionally distant and books an some t.v. shows let me know that yes people  did tell their children  they loved them.

You just made my heart break, @crazycatlady58. I am so sorry. Sending you hugs you should have received as a child.

• Love 7
(edited)
3 hours ago, Nysha said:

2 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

Blimey, you both struck such a chord with me I just had to log in early morning.

My Mother was emotionally VERY distant indeed and whilst I was never physically abused or shouted at, she did make me feel very very useless. I'm just starting to realise and acknowledge that abuse comes in all shapes and sizes and it is perfectly fine to call it abuse regardless.

Re books, I really hope that Jinger starts to read properly, at least once in a while. It's so sad that no Duggar ever reads and misses out on so much fun. AND you can learn a lot without even realising it.

Edit, somebody here said they read Effi Briest - who was it? I can't seem to find the post just now.............

Edited by MunichNark
  • Love 10
58 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Jill's first year of marriage was following Derick to work, to eat lunch, and writing Bible quotes on index cards while preparing for Israel's birth.

Jessa's first year of marriage was posting selfies and Bible quotes while waiting for Spurgeon to be born. 

Jinger has spent 6 months of married life going to a holiday play, a museum, bookstore and wearing pants ...

And the most important part, not living around the corner from her parents and spending the vast majority of her time at their house. It's amazing what getting away from the Duggar world can do.

• Love 24

It's more than just getting away from the Duggar world. Jill has been pretty far away in distance, but she has the same mind-set as her parents.  I think that's on her, because I don't think Derick cares what she wears or does. Same with Jessa and Ben.  'free Jinger' started because posters saw a different mind set within Jinger. I think she chose her husband with this in mind. 

• Love 13

I'm trying to picture John David even touching that outfit without imploding. Jeremy certainly appreciates clothing and style. I hope Jinger is learning to have fun with fashion too, even if she's taking baby steps.

• Love 16
5 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

Jill's first year of marriage was following Derick to work, to eat lunch, and writing Bible quotes on index cards while preparing for Israel's birth.

Jessa's first year of marriage was posting selfies and Bible quotes while waiting for Spurgeon to be born. 

Jinger has spent 6 months of married life going to a holiday play, a museum, bookstore and wearing pants ...

The MOMA pic was taken during her engagement weekend, before her wedding.

• Love 2
On 5/30/2017 at 8:19 AM, Clemgo3165 said:

There are lots of people who make it through school without falling in love with books. Many are thrilled to be out of school so they never have to read another one. How nice that Jeremy is sharing his love of books with her, he seems to be expanding her horizons a bit.

I doubt the Duggars are allowed to have an original thought, pretty sure those are knocked out of them during their early years and if that doesn't take then they're sent away to "camp" to learn to think like everyone else. 

I find that sad but I know its true.  I had a library card before I knew how to read and my librarian was one of my favorite people as a kid.  I would check out 10+ books at a time every week.  To this day I always am in the middle of a book.  

• Love 11
On 5/30/2017 at 10:17 AM, mythoughtis said:

Would any of us love books if all we were allowed to read were wisdom books, KJB version of the Bible, and 'waiting for my Prince Charming? I hope she's getting to read everything she wants from mysteries to romance to teen fantasy. 

I am kinda hoping she stumbles across a Jackie Collins book.  Next year she can move onto the 50 Shades books (I have not read them, I heard they were terrible but since she is not an experienced reader would she know the difference?).  You are welcome Jeremy.

• Love 2
16 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

my mother used to tell me that i told my kids i loved them too much.  i said back to her 'they can never hear it too much'....(it was not commonly heard around our home as i was growing up). 

• Love 14
On 5/30/2017 at 9:06 PM, Rabbittron said:

I hated to read but when I was in 3rd grade my mom started to read me Stephen King and i fell in love with reading all because of him.

The Stand is still my favorite book of his

• Love 15