Type keyword(s) to search

Black Panther (2018)

DollEyes
  • Start Topic

56 minutes ago, Dandesun said:

Is there ever going to be a red carpet as fierce and fabulous as Black Panther? I'm thinking no.

You ain't lied about that. It was so good that it even allowed me to ignore Meagan Good's terrible tattooed eyebrows.

http://www.harpersbazaar.com/celebrity/red-carpet-dresses/g15920220/black-panther-premiere-red-carpet/

https://www.thecut.com/2018/01/black-panther-premiere-red-carpet-fashion/slideshow/2018/01/30/black_panther_premiere/

• Love 4

I just can't even with Angela Bassett.  I mean, you expect it, but she looks fabulous here.  I don't usually look at RC fashion pics but these are so good, so much color and style, love it.  Of course it doesn't hurt that everyone is gorgeous.

pic.jpg.d778f16fe6f4638b785414efe4003bf8.jpg

• Love 16
1 minute ago, raven said:

I just can't even with Angela Bassett.  I mean, you expect it, but she looks fabulous here.  I don't usually look at RC fashion pics but these are so good, so much color and style, love it.  Of course it doesn't hurt that everyone is gorgeous.

pic.jpg.d778f16fe6f4638b785414efe4003bf8.jpg

SIXTY never looked so good!

• Love 9

All those pictures look amazing!

People are speculating that Beyoncé is either in the movie or is singing some songs on the soundtrack because of how she dressed for the Grammy’s. I think it would be a fun for a couple surprises in this movie knowing we’re not getting other Marvel Cameos. 

I cant wait to go see this. The last couple Marvel movies (Strange, Thor, Guardians) I waited to see but Im pretty sure I’ll be in on opening weekend for Black Panther. People are saying this is a movie you want to see with a crowd!

Edited by SnoGirl
  • Love 2
8 hours ago, SnoGirl said:

I waited to see but Im pretty sure I’ll be in on opening weekend for Black Panther. People are saying this is a movie you want to see with a crowd!

I have to wait because my 12 yo daughter is having her tonsils out on the 15th. (Winter break is Feb 19-23, so she won't miss two weeks of school, just one). I can't in good conscience leave her alone that weekend or take her to a germ factory crowd. I really, really hope there is a crowd when we are able to go because I had such great crowd experiences with the first Guardians and Deadpool. 

We will definitely see this movie in the theater. I have a feeling more than once. 

• Love 3
11 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Facebook has shut down a group organizing to give negative reviews to Black Panther on Rotten Tomatoes.

https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/internet/plot-destroy-black-panther-ratings-thwarted-facebook-n844226?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

That is why people should all go out and see it in droves. I cannot wait for this movie to come out...

What do those trolls get out of pulling this type of stunt. What joy does that give them?  

Edited by Apprentice79

Just changed my profile pic. It's a sketch I got from Kristen Gudsnuk I got after Civil War.

You think maybe Chadwick Boseman is getting fatigued from playing historical figures? Thurgood Marshall, James Brown, Jackie Robinson, and Black Panther, who's regarded as the first black superhero.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

Black Panther, who's regarded as the first black superhero.

In the history of comics yes, but don't forget Wesley (I don't think I should have to pay taxes) Snipes and Blade.  Until Nolan and  Singer got involved I think it was the best superhero movie around. 

When you think this movie couldn't be more black. Marvel released a TV spot with a Kendrick Lamar Weeknd  track.

• Love 3

Chadwick Boseman and Ryan Coogler on How ‘Black Panther’ Makes History

A few days prior, Coogler and Boseman met with Variety on a secluded road in Griffith Park. After doing all their own stunts for the photo shoot — including climbing a boulder in socks, which made a Disney publicist shriek with anxiety — the duo sat down for an interview about making “Black Panther.”

The two first met in 2015 at the Four Seasons Hotel in Beverly Hills, when Boseman sneaked in during Coogler’s press junket for “Creed.” “It felt like we were going to be on the same page about what it was,” says Boseman, who like Coogler got his start in independent movies. Prior to Black Panther, Boseman portrayed baseball legend Jackie Robinson in “42” and soul icon James Brown in “Get On Up.” The actor studied Black Panther’s significance in popular culture. He tells a story about how he went to a local comic-book shop to buy back issues, even though Marvel would give them to him for free. He wore a hat and sunglasses as a disguise but was recognized when he returned for more reading material. “They were like, ‘This is the dude that’s playing the character!’” Boseman recalls.

Coogler realizes there is an overarching message in his films. “For me, in retrospect, I realized a lot of what I deal with as an artist is with themes of identity,” the director says. “I think it’s something common among African-Americans. For us, we’ve got a strange circumstance in terms of our view of ourselves.” He made a pilgrimage to Africa before he began shooting “Black Panther,” the first time he visited the continent. “I have to go if I’m making this movie,” Coogler says. “I’m not qualified just because I look like this.”

When asked if a white director could have made “Black Panther,” Boseman hesitates. “Well, is it possible for them to make it? It could be, yes. Would they have his perspective? Probably not. It wouldn’t be nuanced in the same way because they wouldn’t have the same conflict. They don’t have the African-American conflict that exists: Whether you’re conscious of it or not, you have an ancestry that is very hard to trace.”

Adds Coogler: “I tend to like movies where the filmmaker has a personal connection to the subject matter. I don’t know if you could find a group of films that deal with the Italian-American organized crime better than ‘Godfather 1,’ ‘Godfather 2,’ ‘Mean Streets’ and ‘Goodfellas.’ Show me a movie about Brooklyn better than ‘Do the Right Thing.’”

Edited by Dee
  • Love 6
On 1/30/2018 at 1:25 PM, Dandesun said:

Is there ever going to be a red carpet as fierce and fabulous as Black Panther? I'm thinking no.

Until the sequels. 

Those Hollywood premiere pics looked like Wakandan Fashion Week. I approve.

• Love 4
7 minutes ago, theredhead77 said:

Can someone who is not a comic book enthusiast / couldn't tell you the difference between DC and Marvel enjoy this movie walking in without any prep work?

Based on everything I've seen about it, I would say absolutely yes.  The only MCU appearance the character has made was in Captain America: Civil War and the fact that his father was the king of Wakanda, and was killed in a terrorist bombing, I think are the only things we know that are relevant to this movie.  The plotline is reportedly very contained and they are expecting people to see this that aren't familiar with the comics or even the larger MCU.  

Edited by Wynterwolf
  • Love 10

Found this . . . ScrewAttack opens a new season of Death Battle, pitting Black Panther against Batman. Your mileage may very when it comes to the outcome. Also, it's always awesome to see footage from Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes, which had T'Challa in both seasons.

ETA: Something more substantial: Time Magazine embraces Panthermania. That should be a word by now, right?

Edited by Lantern7
  • Love 1

Here's a tweet from Jamil Smith, who's the author of the Time Cover Story:

TIME's "Black Panther" Cover Story

Another example of the movie's power is the "Black Panther Challlenge," which is inner-city schools nationwide raising money for special screenings. One of the best reactions is the response from the class at the Ron Clack Academy in Atlanta:

Ron Clark Academy's Reactions To Their "Black Panther" Screening

Edited by DollEyes
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, DollEyes said:

Here's a tweet from Jamil Smith, who's the author of the Time Cover Story:

TIME's "Black Panther" Cover Story

Another example of the movie's power is the "Black Panther Challlenge," which is inner-city schools nationwide raising money for special screenings. One of the best reactions is the response from the class at the Ron Clack Academy in Atlanta:

Ron Clark Academy's Reactions To Their "Black Panther" Screening

That’s the school where the principal danced with the kids, and the video went viral? They were recently featured on an episode of ‘The Rap Game.’ 

I believe Steve Harvey and Sheryl Underwood bought out a movie theater in DC (?) for family screenings—but it’s through the local schools. 

• Love 1

There’s a live Black Panther event today on Twitter:

Join the cast, director, and producers of Marvel Studios Black Panther, Live 

The world is talking about #BlackPanther. But, what do the cast and filmmakers have to say? Stream the Marvel Studios Black Panther Live Q&A powered by IMAX and hear Chadwick Boseman, Michael B. Jordan, Lupita Nyong'o, Danai Gurira, Letitia Wright, Winston Duke, director Ryan Coogler, president of Marvel Studios/producer Kevin Feige and executive producer Nate Moore discuss the movie. Plus don't miss an exclusive clip from the movie. Join the #BlackPantherLive conversation now. Wakanda forever! 

Monday, February 12
6:30pm ET / 3:30pm PT 

@MarvelStudios | #BlackPantherLive
live.twitter.com/blackpanther

————————————————————————————

I really enjoyed it.

Not as funny as most of the other Marvel movies, and doesn't need to be. It looks great, the cast are all excellent, and it's not too long.

Some other points:

* Loved Letitia Wright as Shuri. I've been a fan ever since Banana/Cucumber, and I really hope she breaks out after this.

* Michael B. Jordan is definitely one of the best Marvel villains. It feels weird to compare him to Tom Hiddleston, as they're doing very different things.

* It starts a bit too slowly, with two separate prologue scenes. It's kind of needed for the story, but it definitely doesn't get the movie off on the right foot.

* Freeman's role is smaller than I expected. He's good, but not all that necessary.

* I'm very happy they didn't try to shoehorn in any crossovers with the other Marvel movies. They're never even referenced, IIRC.

* Denzel Whitaker plays Young Forest Whitaker in the flashbacks. They're not related, but Denzel played Forest's son in _The Great Debaters_. This is one of the only times I'll get to reference _The Great Debaters_.

*  Angela Bassett is fine, but doesn't get anything to do, which is a shame.

A few slightly spoiler-y bits:

Spoiler

* Some of the third act stuff doesn't quite work, with one character having a change of heart that's never explained and doesn't feel justified, and the villain giving up a bit too easily.

* The Daniel Kaluuya/Danai Gurira relationship was almost definitely added in reshoots. There's one throwaway line about it at the start, and then they never speak until the climactic moment where the battle hinges on their relationship. It doesn't work at all.

• Love 3

How 'Black Panther' MVP Danai Gurira Went From Zombie-Slayer to Marvel Superstar

"I want to tell stories about strong, complicated, African women," says Gurira. It's the night after Black Panther's premiere and while everyone else seems exhausted, she sits tall in a cream-colored coat tucked tightly around her neck, nibbling on brie without smudging her perfect berry lipstick. Stories matter, especially to kids. In Zimbabwe, they helped her stay connected to the United States. Her mother hung an autographed picture of Martin Luther King Jr. on the mantel and told her daughter about meeting the Civil Rights leader when she was a college student in Illinois.

Mostly though, Gurira kept connected to her birthplace through pop culture. "I read Judy Blume, I read Roots, I read everything," she says. The self-described "Zamerican" listened to Snoop Dogg and watched Dynasty, imitating Joan Collins' Alexis Carrington in her backyard. Sometimes, the culture even came to her, like when she got to shake hands with a visiting Nina Simone.

And, of course, she watched Hollywood movies. "American culture is everywhere," notes Gurira. For better or worse: "My culture isn't everywhere," she adds, though Black Panther's likely blockbuster status will help. But at least Hollywood gave her a tie to her small-town birthplace. And occasionally, it would reflect her roots back to her: Long before she became a warrior of Wakanda, she says, her spirit wandered Zamuda, i.e. Eddie Murphy's fictional African kingdom in Coming to America. The Eighties comedy about a restless prince in search of a independent black princess remains one of Gurira's favorite movies, and like Panther, it's story about African royalty that imagines a proud culture uninterrupted by colonizers – a myth about what history should have been. The movie remains such a touchstone for her that last year, she and her Black Panther co-star Lupita Nyong'o threw themselves a costumed birthday party where Gurira dressed like Murphy's queen-to-be. (Nyong'o wore the gold mutton sleeves of her lady-in-waiting, while T'Challa himself, Chadwick Boseman, goofed off as Arsenio Hall's Reverend Brown.)

Edited by Dee
  • Love 3

‘Black Panther’ Heading Toward Massive $170 Million-Plus Opening

Disney-Marvel’s “Black Panther” is gaining momentum with forecasts estimating as much as $170 million in North America during the four-day President’s Day weekend, updated tracking shows.

That’s significantly above the first tracking on Jan. 25 for the tentpole, which initially placed the debut in the $100 million to $120 million range for the Feb. 16-19 period.

“Black Panther” should break the Presidents Day weekend record of $152 million, set in 2016 by “Deadpool.” It will easily top the second-highest debut for  the four-day holiday, set in 2015 when “Fifty Shades of Grey” opened with $93 million.

Surveys showed “definite interest” continues to increase to 65% Monday. “First choice” has reached 40% among the general sample.

Online ticketing service Fandango reported Feb. 7 that presales for Disney-Marvel’s “Black Panther” are now outpacing advance sales for all other first-quarter releases in the company’s 18-year history. Critics have been impressed as the film has a 97% “fresh” score on the Rotten Tomatoes review aggregator site.

The superhero tentpole, starring Chadwick Boseman, opens Feb. 16 in more than 4,000 North American theaters, including 3,300 3D locations and more than 400 Imax screens. Previews begin at 7 p.m. on Feb. 15.

Disney said Monday that although tracking at this level is difficult to accurately predict, it anticipates a four-day domestic weekend in the $150 million range. Tracking services have raised their guidance to the $155 million to $172 million range.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 3
21 hours ago, ApathyMonger said:

I really enjoyed it.

Not as funny as most of the other Marvel movies, and doesn't need to be. It looks great, the cast are all excellent, and it's not too long.

Some other points:

* Loved Letitia Wright as Shuri. I've been a fan ever since Banana/Cucumber, and I really hope she breaks out after this.

* Michael B. Jordan is definitely one of the best Marvel villains. It feels weird to compare him to Tom Hiddleston, as they're doing very different things.

* It starts a bit too slowly, with two separate prologue scenes. It's kind of needed for the story, but it definitely doesn't get the movie off on the right foot.

* Freeman's role is smaller than I expected. He's good, but not all that necessary.

* I'm very happy they didn't try to shoehorn in any crossovers with the other Marvel movies. They're never even referenced, IIRC.

* Denzel Whitaker plays Young Forest Whitaker in the flashbacks. They're not related, but Denzel played Forest's son in _The Great Debaters_. This is one of the only times I'll get to reference _The Great Debaters_.

*  Angela Bassett is fine, but doesn't get anything to do, which is a shame.

A few slightly spoiler-y bits:

Reveal hidden contents

* Some of the third act stuff doesn't quite work, with one character having a change of heart that's never explained and doesn't feel justified, and the villain giving up a bit too easily.

* The Daniel Kaluuya/Danai Gurira relationship was almost definitely added in reshoots. There's one throwaway line about it at the start, and then they never speak until the climactic moment where the battle hinges on their relationship. It doesn't work at all.

Spoiler

Weren't Danai and Lupita's characters dating in the comics?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, funkopop said:

Weren't Danai and Lupita's characters dating in the comics?

No, the gay couple in the comics is Ayo (played by Florence Kasumba here and in Civil War) and Aneka (who's not in the movie and didn't exist when the script was written).

There was apparently a scene shown to journalists last year in which we see Ayo and Okoye (Danai Gurira) flirting, but it was cut from the movie:

http://screencrush.com/black-panther-gay-characters-ayo-okoye-scene/

Edited by ApathyMonger

My niece called me Sunday night and asked me if I would take her to see Black Panther. She's eleven and I've worked very hard to introduce her to my various nerd culture loves. (She likes playing World of Warcraft when she spends the night at my house.) Since she has Monday off of school, I texted my sister in law to ask if I could have Allie Sunday night. My youngest sister and her husband are coming down this weekend so I figure we'll go see the movie after they head home... whether that will be Sunday evening or Monday. Can't wait!

• Love 8

For the Stars of ‘Black Panther,’ Superpowers and Responsibility

QUESTION: On set, did you have that feeling of “This is important” or did you just try to do good work like normal?

COOGLER: I learned a skill from playing football. I was a wide receiver — they throw you the ball, you can’t drop it. So I learned that you gotta tune everything else out.

If I get to set and there’s a hundred black people on the side of a waterfall and Lupita is dressed in this adornment and Danai is dressed in this adornment and they’re like, “Hey Ryan, do I stand here or here?” I can’t think, “Ah, this is amazing, I’m making ‘Black Panther’ and there’s all these black folks on screen!” I really gotta tell Danai that she needs to move over here, and I gotta tell her five reasons why she’s gotta move over here, because she’s gonna wanna know ’em! [Laughter]

But seriously, I grew up reading these comic books and watching all these movies. If I really thought about the fact that I’m making one of these things right now, with people I know and love, I would break down emotionally. I wouldn’t be no good to anybody.

NYONG’O: A moment when I really felt a vibration was when we were shooting [the waterfall scene]. There were hundreds of extras and we were all in these traditional clothes and there were all the tribal colors and drumming, and between takes, the drummers started riffing to [Snoop Dogg’s] “Drop It Like It’s Hot.” The whole crowd started to go [sings the melody] and we were all dancing as Ryan figured things out below.

In that moment, I was like, “This is big.” I had never been on a set with so many black people before and we were all so focused and I could feel a vibration in the air. We all felt so privileged to have an opportunity to be a part of this moment in history.

Edited by Dee
  • Love 7

Can ‘Black Panther’ Be A Box Office Game-Changer Overseas?

The New York Times has gone as far as to call the film a defining moment for Black America, with Black Panther expected to break domestic opening records this weekend for the month of February with a four-day range of $155 million-$172 million, a benchmark for any movie that has starred a predominantly Black cast. Those projections are also poised to outstrip the openings of Will Smith-starrers Suicide Squad ($133.7M) and I Am Legend ($77.2M). At an estimated $200M cost, Black Panther is also arguably Hollywood’s biggest production ever featuring a Black cast.

With Disney and Marvel’s full might behind it, emerging superstar director Ryan Coogler, a cast of the best and brightest Black actors, and the best reviews of any Marvel superhero movie fueling it, can Black Panther also become a cultural milestone overseas and shatter the glass ceiling that has existed, where most movies with predominantly Black casts have seen grosses pale in comparison to domestic business?

After the industry embarrassment of #OscarsSoWhite three years ago, Black Panther is bound to incentivize the industry beyond wishes, not only opening the doors to more inclusive storytelling, but also further demonstrating that there’s a strong business in four-quad tentpoles featuring actors of color.

Should Black Panther open to $120M at the overseas box office (where it’s playing in 70% of all offshore markets this weekend), it would be considered a huge start for a deeper Marvel universe character, surpassing the international starts of Ant-Man ($73M) and Guardians of the Galaxy ($80M). By comparison, Marvel’s top overseas openers include Age of Ultron ($201.2M) and Captain America: Civil War ($200.4M). Should Black Panther final abroad around $445M, it would equal the take of Doctor Strange, the latter pic based largely on an unknown MCU character propped by the star wattage of Benedict Cumberbatch.

Edited by Dee

Having seen it, I liked it quite a lot, though with the "best thing since sliced bread"-style hype it was probably going to be hard to live up to that.

My biggest takeaway is that I'm pretty sure there's a lot of scenes on the cutting room floor for this movie, because there are a lot of supporting characters and relationships, and some play or peter out in ways I didn't think was wholly satisfying.  Everything to do with Daniel Kaluuya's character, especially.